Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest Frech election polls with 16 days to go – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Leon said:

The other advantage of a puffer gilet is that you can keep it on in bars and restaurants, without looking like a madman still wearing his rain jacket or winter coat. And the sleevelessness means full arm mobility for eating and drinking. So there’s none of that ‘where do I hang my coat’ or ‘I left my wallet in my coat’ stuff.

And yet you remain stylish AND warm.

The Modern Down Tabard. A work of genius

But then I might have to actually pay rather than let Mrs U do so.....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Away from Biden in Poland and Sunak's appalling budget:

"Covid isn't remotely over."

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h
    Staff are in tears all the time. I'm in tears myself often, though I try to keep them far off the wards. We are trying so desperately, to do a good job of protecting & caring. But we are only human, and too few & too exhausted. Some staff are suicidal with the trauma.

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1507413189599936516

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,986
    Russia are getting very near 200 tanks lost. Currently on 295:
    https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

(Yes, I know, caveats apply, etc, etc...)
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    stodge said:

You are brilliant at this stuff Stodge. Even if I may not bet on it, it is still very interesting. 👍🏻

You were very quite during Cheltenham, bust with work? How did your bets go?

You're very kind, my friend. Also right about the work - unfortunately, I couldn't take any time off during the week to watch the races live as I had to cover for a couple of colleagues who were off with covid.

In terms of bets, I played only on the Grade 1 races and made the princely sum of £1 profit - that's right, a measly squid but better than a loss. Reasonable opening day thanks to EDWARDSTONE, very good second day when I was able to delay my bets and appreciated the impact of the rain so backed ENERGUMENE and L'HOMME PRESSE. Day three saw nice each way returns from JANIDIL and THYNE HILL but the final day was a disaster. I stupidly swerved VAUBAN and backed GINTO and GALVIN so that wiped out my first three day profits (well, nearly).

Real racing tomorrow but the best card by miles is at Meydan. The Sheema Classic is a stellar race - how good is this YIBIR? The World Cup looks a match on paper - I think HOT ROD CHARLIE will upset LIFE IS GOOD who is unproven at the mile and a quarter. If he does get it, he wins and may well be the best there's been for a while.

Can't get too excited about Doncaster - it's a minefield as you have to take fitness and the ground on trust. Kempton looks a more attractive proposition - FELIX in the 2.05 and TOMMY DE VITO in the 3.55 catch my eye on first look.
    So what you are calling “real racing” is it’s getting flatter? In case of UAE, real racing is flat on dust and sand? Are you better tipster at flat racing, do you prefer it? Ive always been crap at flat racing. I’ve never got much into following breeding and blood stock side of things. My preferred discipline is to bet on National Hunt. After due diligence I feel more in control and happier with my bet slip in winter months, but with flat racing I don’t think I can trust the form book quite the same, what form book there is. it is more fun having more information not less to work on? Maybe I can learn more about flat racing following it this summer.

Since my nan put on our bets and I watched it on telly with her when I was very small I have bet on National Hunt at least once a week every winter season. I always been attracted to 2000 Guineas and Champions Day and other high profile flat racing too, but I don’t bet or watch flat racing much in summer months, perhaps distracted by I go out and about more often instead. though I tend to visit courses a bit in summer, though only in ripped jeans not glad rags. When I was small my Dad took me to York in summer, my first ever race course and I was hooked on going there, so we went back to every Ebor Festival Saturday for years unless away on holiday.

I do place speedy horses on flat with eye catching finishing in my note book, for they may show up in hurdles or fences with a skill to finish well. I prefer fast finish in flat betting than front running or stamina. In jump racing I like to see my horse close to front and not in pack as I think I have picked it on stamina so front running it covers off not leaving attack too late, and reduces risk of nudges and bumps. Have you to seen your fancied horse take a nudge and disappear backwards after that?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 776
    Russia narrowing her aims feels like the first step to an off ramp from the war.

A land bridge to Crimea and much of the Donbas region would be a paultry win for a war intended to overthrow the Ukrainian government and install a pro-Russian puppet. Especially given the size of losses and economic isolation that has come with it. Of course it'd be better if Russia gained nothing, but alas I think regime change in Moscow is the only way that happens.

A glimmer of hope, as I had previously assumed we were facing a long, protracted war.
  • Options

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h
    Staff are in tears all the time. I'm in tears myself often, though I try to keep them far off the wards. We are trying so desperately, to do a good job of protecting & caring. But we are only human, and too few & too exhausted. Some staff are suicidal with the trauma.

How come Whitehall Civil servants and MPs get pay rises, gongs and bonuses, and not all these true heroes battling this war on front line for us?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

How come Whitehall Civil servants and MPs get pay rises, gongs and bonuses, and not all these true heroes battling this war on front line for us?
    The civil servants won't, certainly not in real terms.
  • Options

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

“ Yes, I know, caveats apply, etc, etc. “

“We cannot independently verify this message” It’s rubbish when they say that on the news. They give it to us as news, and then say if you believe it or not is up to you.

What?

There’s facts we do know. When you see drone footage of cities levelled, a great many people have been murdered and crime of the century been committed. So why is our news now covering naff naff and trivia instead, like the Sun putting football on the front page, and Sky droning on about a ferry pay dispute every time I flick it on?
  • Options
    I always said England couldn't bowl a Sunday village team out.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Er - 300?

And I don't think there are any caveats needed with that source - and usually several days behind on their workload. Plus as they say "This list only includes destroyed vehicles and equipment of which photo or videographic evidence is available. Therefore, the amount of equipment destroyed is significantly higher than recorded here." 400 in reality wouldn't be unreasonable.
  • Options

“We cannot independently verify this message” It’s rubbish when they say that on the news. They give it to us as news, and then say if you believe it or not is up to you.

What?

There’s facts we do know. When you see drone footage of cities levelled, a great many people have been murdered and crime of the century been committed. So why is our news now covering naff naff and trivia instead, like the Sun putting football on the front page, and Sky droning on about a ferry pay dispute every time I flick it on?
    What?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Just a note on the Australian Federal election which is less than two months away.

Two contrasting polls - Essential Report has the Lib/Nat Coalition and Labor (ALP) tied on 37 but ALP ahead 48-44 on the preference vote so a 5% swing from last time. Roy Morgan however has ALP six and a half points ahead (37.5-31) on first vote and a whopping 58-42 ahead on the preference vote which would be a landslide defeat for Scott Morrison.

ACs we know, the state-by-state numbers are more significant and the Coalition continues to poll well in Queensland but is struggling in both South and Western Australia.

Both Roy Morgan and Essential got their 2019 election forecast wrong but Essential was the more accurate of the 2.

Interestingly Essential still gives Morrison a 3% lead as preferred PM, close to what the 2PP lead would be for the Coalition if the Undecideds all went for the Coalition again.

It also has the Coalition ahead in NSW and almost tied in Victoria where Labor has a narrow lead in what is normally its strongest state outside ACT
    Oh HY - This is a nailed on change of government!

Incidentally, I don’t thing the election actually has a date yet. Desperate Morrison holding on Mr Mcawber style?
  • Options

Er - 300?

And I don't think there are any caveats needed with that source - and usually several days behind on their workload. Plus as they say "This list only includes destroyed vehicles and equipment of which photo or videographic evidence is available. Therefore, the amount of equipment destroyed is significantly higher than recorded here." 400 in reality wouldn't be unreasonable.
    Yep. 300.

Blame Laphroaig. :)

My own view on Oryx: the Ukrainian numbers will be slight underestimates, as not everything will be recorded to a suitable level. The Russian numbers will be large underestimates, as they are not as keen to publicise things (e.g. trying to take phones off soldiers).

But it's still a rather good showing for Ukraine.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Interesting...

"Pres Macron just announced that 🇫🇷, together with 🇹🇷 and 🇬🇷, is planning an "exceptional humanitarian operation" to evacuate civilians from #Mariupol. Paris has been in contact with Mariupol's mayor and the 🇫🇷 President will discuss this issue with Putin "in the coming hours"."

https://twitter.com/morcos_pierre/status/1507443257638273031

Putin is playing chess with 100,000 of people lives:

Putin really just wants Mariupol and ideally with the people gone, dead or otherwise, and realising that it was taking a long time to capture and cost of his own men than he has.

Therefore in order to maximise disharmony in the west he has let his 'golden boy' Macron know that he can organise an evacuation.

Macron now looks like the clever statesman, rewarded to 'keeping the dialog going' and his businesses in Russia for longer than elsewhere.

That's not to say its not good that this will/may save lots of lives which is a good thing, but we should not kid ourselves that this is not part of Putin's planning.
    Totally agree. Putin wants his vehicles with sov flags and zee on patrolling around empty cities and towns, he don’t want anyone there except his people who move there.

It’s the very opposite of what he said it’s all about!

Nb. I pronounce it zee, do you?
    Zed's dead, baby.....
    They got to be Zee’s. This is 2022
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

It would help the cause of Rachel Clarke - @doctor_oxford - if every single one of her tweets for the last two fucking years had not been expressed in exactly the same hysterical tone about everything (esp Covid) - “oh my god we’re in the 19th terrible wave, it’s time for lockdown 231, the heartless Tory government is condemning millions to a terrible death, Brexit has made it 90 times worse, everyone stay home forever while I weep”

On and on and on. People have stopped listening

And of course, yes admissions are up (but a huge proportion are with COVID, rather than of COVID), but mechanical ventilation is very low and its about 100 people a day dying with and of COVID. That 100 a day is never going away as long as we count COVID as we do, as old people with a load of other conditions have always being dying in hospital since the day dot after getting sick with flu etc.

Yes COVID adds additional complications and pressure (although the NHS would usually be under the normal flu season), but the picture she is yet again trying to paint is bodies are piling up in hospitals across the country, which clearly isn't true.

I bigger scandal is all these middle aged blokes wandering around wearing gillets over their hoodies....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,202

I always said England couldn't bowl a Sunday village team out.

I was expecting us to concede a first innings lead this morning, but not when we had the West Indies at 95-6.

Should we just open with Leach and Woakes when we bat again?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

So what you are calling “real racing” is it’s getting flatter? In case of UAE, real racing is flat on dust and sand? Are you better tipster at flat racing, do you prefer it? Ive always been crap at flat racing. I’ve never got much into following breeding and blood stock side of things. My preferred discipline is to bet on National Hunt. After due diligence I feel more in control and happier with my bet slip in winter months, but with flat racing I don’t think I can trust the form book quite the same, what form book there is. it is more fun having more information not less to work on? Maybe I can learn more about flat racing following it this summer.

Since my nan put on our bets and I watched it on telly with her when I was very small I have bet on National Hunt at least once a week every winter season. I always been attracted to 2000 Guineas and Champions Day and other high profile flat racing too, but I don’t bet or watch flat racing much in summer months, perhaps distracted by I go out and about more often instead. though I tend to visit courses a bit in summer, though only in ripped jeans not glad rags. When I was small my Dad took me to York in summer, my first ever race course and I was hooked on going there, so we went back to every Ebor Festival Saturday for years unless away on holiday.

I do place speedy horses on flat with eye catching finishing in my note book, for they may show up in hurdles or fences with a skill to finish well. I prefer fast finish in flat betting than front running or stamina. In jump racing I like to see my horse close to front and not in pack as I think I have picked it on stamina so front running it covers off not leaving attack too late, and reduces risk of nudges and bumps. Have you to seen your fancied horse take a nudge and disappear backwards after that?

I've always found Flat racing to be the more reliable punting proposition. I like jump racing - don't get me wrong - but for me in punting terms flat racing is business, jump racing is pleasure.

In the summer months, the form is often reliable - nursery handicaps are one of the most reliable propositions as the 2-y-o haven't learnt the quirks and the dodges and they tend to produce or re-produce their form.

It's also generally better to go racing in the summer - granted, you have the music - but I enjoy (when the opportunity arises) a midweek afternoon at Lingfield, Sandown, Brighton, Newmarket or Goodwood and while I've only been to York on three occasions, there's no question it's one of the finest tracks in the country - I can see why it runs Cheltenham close in the Racegoers Club awards.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Just a note on the Australian Federal election which is less than two months away.

Two contrasting polls - Essential Report has the Lib/Nat Coalition and Labor (ALP) tied on 37 but ALP ahead 48-44 on the preference vote so a 5% swing from last time. Roy Morgan however has ALP six and a half points ahead (37.5-31) on first vote and a whopping 58-42 ahead on the preference vote which would be a landslide defeat for Scott Morrison.

ACs we know, the state-by-state numbers are more significant and the Coalition continues to poll well in Queensland but is struggling in both South and Western Australia.

Both Roy Morgan and Essential got their 2019 election forecast wrong but Essential was the more accurate of the 2.

Interestingly Essential still gives Morrison a 3% lead as preferred PM, close to what the 2PP lead would be for the Coalition if the Undecideds all went for the Coalition again.

It also has the Coalition ahead in NSW and almost tied in Victoria where Labor has a narrow lead in what is normally its strongest state outside ACT

Incidentally, I don’t thing the election actually has a date yet. Desperate Morrison holding on Mr Mcawber style?
    It most certainly is not.

No Australian Leader of the Opposition has won an Australian general election without leading as preferred PM. Albanese still trails Morrison on that measure.

Morrison does not need to hold the election until September
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Sorry is @Luckyguy1983 a Putin mouthpiece now

He’s ‘just asking questions’.
    I mean how do we REALLY know that the 100+ dead children aren't cRiSiS aCtOrS
    Were those 4 Russian helicopters being shot down on here this morning really from a computer game?

It had a sort of Ukraine government video message stamped on it I thought odd, why would it gratuitously need that? It was created by Russians wasn’t it? So it was a propaganda to try to undermine honest Ukraine message, which mainly feed onto our news as true facts, Ukraine message discredited by Russians with fake message using computer game footage?

It’s got to be going on. I have suspected this all along. fake Russian pretend Ukraine propaganda, to undermine Ukraine giving us the facts. It doesn’t surprise me, firstly, as you would think the Russians would pay dirty truck loads of money to people to do that, whilst the real Ukraines are up their eyebrows in war zone, and a few times when bad news story’s of Russian aggression have come out, the Ukraine government have clarified it to excuse the Russians, so come across as honest to me.

One example was the cars of women and children destroyed on the safe route out of maripole, it did happen, but the Ukraine government said they were actually not on the agreed safe route when butchered by Russians, the other example is when Russia claimed chemical weapon factories, the US said there are no factories, the Ukraine government said yes there are chemicals factories US built with us, but definitely not making weapons. Do you agree with me sometimes the Ukraine government playing it too honest, maybe thinking it’s important for us to trust them?

so it’s fake Russian pretend Ukraine propaganda that could be causing your argument with LuckyMan? It’s obvious now PB are discussing these things to decide what’s true and not. We also need to appreciate, despite &kraine Government Official stamped on it, it’s come from GRU.

It’s hard for lamestream news to back track, so they put this “not yet verified by us message” out a lot now hoping to protect their integrity.

will you agree to meet LuckyMan in the middle and shake hands, as what is news and what is not is a bit hard? 💁‍♀️
    "Lamestream" fucking christ
    I knew you wouldn’t agree.

That’s the clear difference between us maybe? You trust everything in old media newspapers and TV, more than you trust coming here to PB, and learning from it questioned and analysed by subject matter experts and put to debate?
  • Options

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

3% pay rise for NHS staff proposed this year. MPs pay rising by only 2.7% however
    https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/news/government-proposes-3-pay-rise-for-nhs-staff-in-england

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60576639
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,898
    This is turning into a full chapter for the PR disasters textbook. https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1507466415070416898
  • Options

What?

What?
    There’s less interest in the war in our media now, even though there is proper crimes to talk about, drone footage of the scene of the crime, and the victims, those shocked sad and dazed refugees to interview. It feels wrong to downgrade that in favour of sport and film awards doesn’t it?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Er - 300?

Yep. 300.

Blame Laphroaig. :)

My own view on Oryx: the Ukrainian numbers will be slight underestimates, as not everything will be recorded to a suitable level. The Russian numbers will be large underestimates, as they are not as keen to publicise things (e.g. trying to take phones off soldiers).

But it's still a rather good showing for Ukraine.
    I assume the number of Russia tanks confirmed to be destroyed would amount to the entire British Army's compliment.
  • Options
    What is this absolute bollocks bowling with the new ball.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Were those 4 Russian helicopters being shot down on here this morning really from a computer game?

It had a sort of Ukraine government video message stamped on it I thought odd, why would it gratuitously need that? It was created by Russians wasn’t it? So it was a propaganda to try to undermine honest Ukraine message, which mainly feed onto our news as true facts, Ukraine message discredited by Russians with fake message using computer game footage?

It’s got to be going on. I have suspected this all along. fake Russian pretend Ukraine propaganda, to undermine Ukraine giving us the facts. It doesn’t surprise me, firstly, as you would think the Russians would pay dirty truck loads of money to people to do that, whilst the real Ukraines are up their eyebrows in war zone, and a few times when bad news story’s of Russian aggression have come out, the Ukraine government have clarified it to excuse the Russians, so come across as honest to me.

One example was the cars of women and children destroyed on the safe route out of maripole, it did happen, but the Ukraine government said they were actually not on the agreed safe route when butchered by Russians, the other example is when Russia claimed chemical weapon factories, the US said there are no factories, the Ukraine government said yes there are chemicals factories US built with us, but definitely not making weapons. Do you agree with me sometimes the Ukraine government playing it too honest, maybe thinking it’s important for us to trust them?

so it’s fake Russian pretend Ukraine propaganda that could be causing your argument with LuckyMan? It’s obvious now PB are discussing these things to decide what’s true and not. We also need to appreciate, despite &kraine Government Official stamped on it, it’s come from GRU.

It’s hard for lamestream news to back track, so they put this “not yet verified by us message” out a lot now hoping to protect their integrity.

will you agree to meet LuckyMan in the middle and shake hands, as what is news and what is not is a bit hard? 💁‍♀️

That’s the clear difference between us maybe? You trust everything in old media newspapers and TV, more than you trust coming here to PB, and learning from it questioned and analysed by subject matter experts and put to debate?
    Maybe he just has an issue with people assigning perjorative labels to sources in order to undermine them automatically?

I'm not even a fan of 'mainstream media', since it is sometimes even used by completely mainstream outlets to belittle rivals whilst suggesting they are the sole truthspeakers.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

No Australian Leader of the Opposition has won an Australian general election without leading as preferred PM. Albanese still trails Morrison on that measure.

I'm inclined to agree and I'm not an expert on Australian politics. All I remember was Shorten underperforming expectations and Labor getting completely gubbed in Queensland last time.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

It would help the cause of Rachel Clarke - @doctor_oxford - if every single one of her tweets for the last two fucking years had not been expressed in exactly the same hysterical tone about everything (esp Covid) - “oh my god we’re in the 19th terrible wave, it’s time for lockdown 231, the heartless Tory government is condemning millions to a terrible death, Brexit has made it 90 times worse, everyone stay home forever while I weep”

It's hard to judge such a thing as gut feel, but much as the question of whether we are in a recession is more about how people feel than the technical definition of two quarters of negative growth, on the matter of Covid how people feel seems more important than the raw facts - people really should have been freaking out a lot more in January 2021 as deaths were skyrocketing and scarily high, but they really weren't. And right now, cases are higher than many might think, and there are still deaths, but though many I speak to bring up Covid in the sense of knowing it is around and plenty they know are catching it, none seem particularly worried anymore, even though they would have once if there were rises etc.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Scott_xP said:

This is turning into a full chapter for the PR disasters textbook. https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1507466415070416898

I think Hebblethwaite's email to staff was even more extraordinary. Stripped of the verbiage, it amounts to:

'Yes, we broke employment law and everyone's contracts, but don't worry, we won't do it again. We only did it because the company was about to go bust.'

If I were a recipient of an email like that - and I have been in the past - I would instantly quit, on the grounds that if they lie and break the law once they could do it again, and in any case the company is pretty well finished.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,621
    Leon said:

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

Talk about pot and kettle. Do you not read your posts? Hysterical doesn't cover it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

It's hard to judge such a thing as gut feel, but much as the question of whether we are in a recession is more about how people feel than the technical definition of two quarters of negative growth, on the matter of Covid how people feel seems more important than the raw facts - people really should have been freaking out a lot more in January 2021 as deaths were skyrocketing and scarily high, but they really weren't. And right now, cases are higher than many might think, and there are still deaths, but though many I speak to bring up Covid in the sense of knowing it is around and plenty they know are catching it, none seem particularly worried anymore, even though they would have once if there were rises etc.
    I think so many have had Covid now, and got over it, so the fear is gone. Pre vaccines etc there was a definite fear that you might be of the unlucky ones. Now, for most people, not so much.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

What?

What?
    There’s less interest in the war in our media now, even though there is proper crimes to talk about, drone footage of the scene of the crime, and the victims, those shocked sad and dazed refugees to interview. It feels wrong to downgrade that in favour of sport and film awards doesn’t it?
    I am sorry to say that this is just how the world is. Sad but true.

My biggest gripe is the obsession with refugees. Days were spent going over the minutae of visa application processes and rules. Whilst actual war crimes were going on in Ukraine for the people left behind. Everyone clings to refugees as a problem that can be 'solved', to escape from more difficult problems that cannot be solved. Eventually people zone out of it completely.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've always found Flat racing to be the more reliable punting proposition. I like jump racing - don't get me wrong - but for me in punting terms flat racing is business, jump racing is pleasure.

In the summer months, the form is often reliable - nursery handicaps are one of the most reliable propositions as the 2-y-o haven't learnt the quirks and the dodges and they tend to produce or re-produce their form.

It's also generally better to go racing in the summer - granted, you have the music - but I enjoy (when the opportunity arises) a midweek afternoon at Lingfield, Sandown, Brighton, Newmarket or Goodwood and while I've only been to York on three occasions, there's no question it's one of the finest tracks in the country - I can see why it runs Cheltenham close in the Racegoers Club awards.
    “ I've always found Flat racing to be the more reliable punting proposition. “.

I’ll watch and learn then Stodge. When you suggest a precocious 2 year old as a reliable punting proposition, would you mind if I asked why? Are you going largely on breeding and blood stock? “Arsehole - by shit out of bumhole” as example? 😆

Are you more persuaded when you see the buttocks are blinkered?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpRcRCUKsY
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,598
    Scott_xP said:

P and O are the new Ratners.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,048
    The Byelorussian tank recovery guys will be sucking their teeth and shaking their heads at this one.

• Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

I'm inclined to agree and I'm not an expert on Australian politics. All I remember was Shorten underperforming expectations and Labor getting completely gubbed in Queensland last time.
    I’m not agreeing. First rule of politics is there is a first time for everything. Besides which you are agreeing with a guy who thinks Morrison has till September, when he’s only got to May something.

If I was an Aussie (heaven forbid) I wouldn’t even vote Labour. Except to upset my mum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe he just has an issue with people assigning perjorative labels to sources in order to undermine them automatically?

I'm not even a fan of 'mainstream media', since it is sometimes even used by completely mainstream outlets to belittle rivals whilst suggesting they are the sole truthspeakers.
    That’s true. Whenever a rival is in trouble and naughty corner, they report it with barely constrained glee beneath their serious tone.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Green ribbons are a symbol of resistance in Russia against the war in Ukraine.
    In Russian green is зеленый, "zelenyy". Nuff said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/25/green-ribbon-russia-ukraine-anti-war-protest/
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 2022
    geoffw said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/25/green-ribbon-russia-ukraine-anti-war-protest/

Just ordered 50.

Too bad I don't have any Russian friends to mail them to (though I probably wouldn't for fear of getting them in trouble).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Regardless of the official outcome of this case, it is hard to see how any member of the current management team will get a job again.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

That’s true. Whenever a rival is in trouble and naughty corner, they report it with barely constrained glee beneath their serious tone.
    That's not what I mean. I mean when people like FoxNews pretend they are not a mainstream media organisation (whether they should be is another question) the same as their rivals, just catering to a different audience.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Fishing said:

geoffw said:

Just ordered 50.

Too bad I don't have any Russian friends to mail them to (though I probably wouldn't for fear of getting them in trouble).
    perhaps you could post them to random addresses in Russia? maybe with some photos of the war?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 2022
    BigRich said:

Fishing said:

geoffw said:

Just ordered 50.

perhaps you could post them to random addresses in Russia? maybe with some photos of the war?
    Or maybe to some of Putin's most odious ministers? I'm sure they're getting their mail intercepted and the old tyrant is morbidly suspicious ...
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,028

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

She’s the anti Tory activist right?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

I’m not agreeing. First rule of politics is there is a first time for everything. Besides which you are agreeing with a guy who thinks Morrison has till September, when he’s only got to May something.

If I was an Aussie (heaven forbid) I wouldn’t even vote Labour. Except to upset my mum.
    Says this on Wikipedia: 'As of 22 March 2022, a half-Senate election must be held on a Saturday between 30 April and 21 May, while an election only for the House of Representatives could be held as late as September, though splitting the election is seen as unlikely.[2] It is widely anticipated in the Australian media to occur in May 2022.'

So perhaps HYUFD is technically correct but he might be wrong in practice about that?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Says this on Wikipedia: 'As of 22 March 2022, a half-Senate election must be held on a Saturday between 30 April and 21 May, while an election only for the House of Representatives could be held as late as September, though splitting the election is seen as unlikely.[2] It is widely anticipated in the Australian media to occur in May 2022.'

So perhaps HYUFD is technically correct but he might be wrong in practice about that?
    We have to concede a technicality win to HY on this? 🤫
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

Roger said:

mwadams said:

Russian bombs about reliable as a 1980s Lada...

Russian precision-guided missiles are failing up to 60% of the time in Ukraine, three U.S. officials with knowledge of intelligence on the issue told Reuters, a possible explanation for the poor progress of Russia's invasion.

I am sceptical of weasel words. I win the lottery jackpot up to 60% of the times I enter, for example.
    In the 80's a Skip was called a Lada convertable
    Time to dust off all of the old Lada / Skoda jokes....

What do you call a Skoda with two exhausts....a wheelbarrow.

How do you double the value of a Lada....fill it up with petrol.

What do you call a Lada in the summer? An oven. What do you call a Lada in the winter? A freezer.

How do you avoid speeding tickets?...Buy a Lada.

What do you call a Lada at the top of a hill?....A miracle.

A more complete list...
    https://medium.com/wagonlog/lada-jokes-3bd7bf92487b
    I've got a Skoda actually. Very nice car.

I did once walk past a Trabant as we were both travelling UP a hil!
    My son's Fabia is very well put together.

I drove a two- stroke Wartburg Knight occasionally around London in the early 1980s. It was reminiscent of the Goldfinger DB5 in as much that it could generate a smoke screen and an oil slick in its wake.
    Was it the Trabant that could go as fast backwards as it could forwards?
    No, Trabbies have a relatively normal four speed (plus reverse) transmission.

A DAF 46 will go as fast backwards as forwards because of its CVT and spawned a backwards racing series in the Netherlands.
  • Options
    Interesting point on ratios if true, even taking the Russian figures at face value

Russia says 1,351 troops were killed in Ukraine and 3,825 injured. Regardless of how accurate these figures are, the WIA/KIA ratio of 2.8 is stunning and speaks to Russia’s inability to use helicopters for medevac. US military WIA/KIA ratios were 7 in Iraq and 8 in Afghanistan.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1507354403686301701?cxt=HHwWioC-5YC2mespAAAA
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

mwadams said:

Russian bombs about reliable as a 1980s Lada...

Russian precision-guided missiles are failing up to 60% of the time in Ukraine, three U.S. officials with knowledge of intelligence on the issue told Reuters, a possible explanation for the poor progress of Russia's invasion.

I am sceptical of weasel words. I win the lottery jackpot up to 60% of the times I enter, for example.
    In the 80's a Skip was called a Lada convertable
    Time to dust off all of the old Lada / Skoda jokes....

What do you call a Skoda with two exhausts....a wheelbarrow.

How do you double the value of a Lada....fill it up with petrol.

What do you call a Lada in the summer? An oven. What do you call a Lada in the winter? A freezer.

How do you avoid speeding tickets?...Buy a Lada.

What do you call a Lada at the top of a hill?....A miracle.

A more complete list...
    https://medium.com/wagonlog/lada-jokes-3bd7bf92487b
    I've got a Skoda actually. Very nice car.

I did once walk past a Trabant as we were both travelling UP a hil!
    My son's Fabia is very well put together.

I drove a two- stroke Wartburg Knight occasionally around London in the early 1980s. It was reminiscent of the Goldfinger DB5 in as much that it could generate a smoke screen and an oil slick in its wake.
    Was it the Trabant that could go as fast backwards as it could forwards?
    No, Trabbies have a relatively normal four speed (plus reverse) transmission.

A DAF 46 will go as fast backwards as forwards because of its CVT and spawned a backwards racing series in the Netherlands.
    Wiki thinks not spawned, but did a Lia on

Reversing
    Because the system does not have separate gears, but one (continuously shifting) gear and a separate 'reverse mode' (as opposed to reverse gear), the transmission works in reverse as well, giving it the interesting side effect that one can drive back as fast as forwards. As a result, in the former Dutch annual backward driving world championship, the DAFs had to be put in a separate competition because no other car could keep up. Thus, these very cheap and simple cars were the 'formula one' in this competition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Feels like there's an obvious joke in there.
  • Options

darkage said:

What?

What?

My biggest gripe is the obsession with refugees. Days were spent going over the minutae of visa application processes and rules. Whilst actual war crimes were going on in Ukraine for the people left behind. Everyone clings to refugees as a problem that can be 'solved', to escape from more difficult problems that cannot be solved. Eventually people zone out of it completely.
    Yes and putin is aware of this...he thinks pull back a little....the west loses interest there is sanction busting and I continue to commit war crimes with impunity...he's probably right
    No! I won’t have it. We are not in that kind of world.
  • Options

Feels like there's an obvious joke in there.
    looks more like a projectile vomiting opportunity to me
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

They are worse, he damaged his reputation, these directors have damaged peoples lives

I hope they are boycotted by HMG and all travellers

Shocking example of an excuse for management
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    I think Keir Starmer can be PM after the next election but only in coalition with the LDs and perhaps the Greens / Plaid Cymru.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    P&O trashing their reputation like a middle aged flint knapper hanging out in a cool Camden bar wearing a gillet / hoodie combo....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

BigRich said:

Interesting...

"Pres Macron just announced that 🇫🇷, together with 🇹🇷 and 🇬🇷, is planning an "exceptional humanitarian operation" to evacuate civilians from #Mariupol. Paris has been in contact with Mariupol's mayor and the 🇫🇷 President will discuss this issue with Putin "in the coming hours"."

https://twitter.com/morcos_pierre/status/1507443257638273031

Putin is playing chess with 100,000 of people lives:

Putin really just wants Mariupol and ideally with the people gone, dead or otherwise, and realising that it was taking a long time to capture and cost of his own men than he has.

Therefore in order to maximise disharmony in the west he has let his 'golden boy' Macron know that he can organise an evacuation.

Macron now looks like the clever statesman, rewarded to 'keeping the dialog going' and his businesses in Russia for longer than elsewhere.

That's not to say its not good that this will/may save lots of lives which is a good thing, but we should not kid ourselves that this is not part of Putin's planning.
    Totally agree. Putin wants his vehicles with sov flags and zee on patrolling around empty cities and towns, he don’t want anyone there except his people who move there.

It’s the very opposite of what he said it’s all about!

Nb. I pronounce it zee, do you?
    Zed's dead, baby.....
    https://fightingfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/ZED
  • Options

P&O trashing their reputation like a middle aged flint knapper going into a cool Camden bar wearing a gillet / hoodie combo....

No one would do that!

I saw this going on in thread but didn’t read it. It’s not actually true?

Why would anyone want to do that? Is there no one on the door to stop them?

Death to 2022 already.
  • Options
    Another ruse by Putin?

Or reality dawning?

• Options

darkage said:

What?

What?

Yes and putin is aware of this...he thinks pull back a little....the west loses interest there is sanction busting and I continue to commit war crimes with impunity...he's probably right
    No! I won’t have it. We are not in that kind of world.
    I hope you're right, but I am not confident you are.
  • Options

P&O trashing their reputation like a middle aged flint knapper hanging out in a cool Camden bar wearing a gillet / hoodie combo....

Worse than that, they can't operate, they will have zero income. How long until they're bust? Quite apart from not wanting to use them because they're a bunch of shysters, there's a risk that if you book a ticket with them you'll lose your money when they go out of business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60881550
  • Options

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    2h

She’s the anti Tory activist right?
    In spades.

I posted it so that those of us who bet don't forget that despite the war, there's still a raging debate about the best way to deal with covid.

• Options
    Behind the smiles and glamour the discontent over the Cambridges’ Caribbean tour was unmissable

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/03/25/cambridges-caribbean-tour-triumph-monarchy-relic-past/

telegraph having another pop

I think the writing is on the wall. By the time they succeed dear old Katie is going to look like the desiccated mummy of Cruella de Ville, baldy is going to turn into fat Old Baldy, and the more they mishandle the whole piccaninny thang, the more shutting out (the admittedly ghastly) Meghan is going to look like a terrible mistake.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think Keir Starmer can be PM after the next election but only in coalition with the LDs and perhaps the Greens / Plaid Cymru.

Yes, I'm currently expecting 260-280 seats for Labour but with Tories as largest party in a hung parliament as most likely scenario.
  • Options

Another ruse by Putin?

Or reality dawning?

There was a story a few days ago that said it didn't seem as though a single military commander had been appointed to be in charge of the Russian invasion, and so you had separate commanders running their own separate, uncoordinated invasions in different places.

What this could be is a sign that Putin has accepted that's a mental way to run things, a single military officer is now in charge, and they've decided to concentrate resources on one objective at a time. This has the potential to make the Russian military more effective. So, although it would be a sign of reality intruding in the Kremlin, the short-term effect could be negative for Ukraine.
  • Options

Worse than that, they can't operate, they will have zero income. How long until they're bust? Quite apart from not wanting to use them because they're a bunch of shysters, there's a risk that if you book a ticket with them you'll lose your money when they go out of business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60881550
    Ooh, what might one expect if one gets a completely new crew from the other side of the world and expects it to go immediately into service? Is that what they have done?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Behind the smiles and glamour the discontent over the Cambridges’ Caribbean tour was unmissable

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/03/25/cambridges-caribbean-tour-triumph-monarchy-relic-past/

telegraph having another pop

I think the writing is on the wall. By the time they succeed dear old Katie is going to look like the desiccated mummy of Cruella de Ville, baldy is going to turn into fat Old Baldy, and the more they mishandle the whole piccaninny thang, the more shutting out (the admittedly ghastly) Meghan is going to look like a terrible mistake.

Some of the pictures were embarrassing and shameful and really did the royal family no favours

I have long been of the opinion that once HMQ goes so most countries will separate from the monarchy

It is becoming an anachronism
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Another ruse by Putin?

Or reality dawning?

Land Bridge to Crimea, Kherson under control and Odessa under extreme threat is the kind of outcome and hex and counter wargame would list as "Minor Victory".

Given this whole endeavour seems to have been planned at the level of a badly written wargame it looks like they are going for technically a win.
  • Options
    This thread has obtained Mr Hebblethwaite as a director.
  • Options
    As noted previously wikipedia tells us Jamaica in particular has talked about becoming a republic for a long time, decades infact, with it being an explicit promise of various PMs across the political divide, with popular support it seems, for at least the last 15 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republicanism_in_Jamaica

So when it comes to Jamaica specifically and the Caribbean more generally, it is not so much that the writing is on the wall as its a surprise the wall was still standing after all this time anyway. None of the links on that page at least seem to explain why they've not found the time, given the level of political support there seems to be.
  • Options

THIS THREAD
    IS DEAD

• Options
    kle4 said:

As noted previously wikipedia tells us Jamaica in particular has talked about becoming a republic for a long time, decades infact, with it being an explicit promise of various PMs across the political divide, with popular support it seems, for at least the last 15 years.

So when it comes to Jamaica specifically and the Caribbean more generally, it is not so much that the writing is on the wall as its a surprise the wall was still standing after all this time anyway. None of the links on that page at least seem to explain why they've not found the time, given the level of political support there seems to be.

Waiting for London Bridge?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Not all the Caribbean.

St Vincent and the Grenadines voted 56% to keep the monarchy in a 2009 referendum
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Vincentian_constitutional_referendum
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,551
    edited March 2022

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

I appreciate your sentiments, but I really don't think that's the case. It's a war. The Russians are lying, and so are the Ukrainians. That's what you do in a war. The Russians seem mostly to be believed in Russia where there's a supine media, whilst in the Western media, the Ukrainians face little scrutiny.

The Russian Government deserves to be condemned both for its invasion, and for the brutally destructive nature of that invasion. But that shouldn't and mustn't mean that the pronouncements of the Ukrainian side aren't treated with caution. This is a situation that could have (and hopefully this possibility is growing less likely) lead to direct conflict with a huge nuclear power. I don't judge the Ukrainians for fighting a propaganda war, and doing it well, but I do judge those here who are so wrapped up in it that they angrily denounce anyone who goes off-message.
    Straw manning there.
    What were criticising is your false equivalence - that there’s no difference between Russian and Ukrainian claims; it’s all fake news.
    You’re just echoing Trump’s schlick.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Not all the Caribbean.

St Vincent and the Grenadines voted 55% to keep the monarchy in a 2009 referendum
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Vincent_and_the_Grenadines
    I'd have guessed it was less of a big deal in the smaller places, but then Barbados is pretty small and the sentiment was clearly still strong there.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Most of the Commonwealth nations already became Republics or got their own monarch in the Queen's reign anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Most of the Commonwealth nations already became Republics or got their own monarch in the Queen's reign anyway
    Didn't this mostly happen at the point of Independence from Westminster, rather than as a separate event?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

THIS THREAD
    IS DEAD

Captured by the Necromancer from Throben, the Analander cast the Zee spell and killed it’s ji-lay.

Sad. But life goes on just a click away from here.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Didn't this mostly happen at the point of Independence from Westminster, rather than as a separate event?
    No, often separate, as India and Ireland in her father's reign too became Republics after independence
  • Options
    Students may use the dissertation writing services reviews to contact top essay writing experts who will aid them with high-quality assignments. If the pupils choose seasoned specialists, the experts have years of experience in the industry.
This discussion has been closed.