Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Does Trump still tower over the GOP? Georgia 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,218
    Some of the stuff in that long, authoritative military.com article - published five days ago - is quite mind-boggling

"After the Nimitz investigation, the sailor and two Marines were sent to a Utah property known as Skinwalker Ranch, where Bigelow, the owner, had funded his own private research of UFO and paranormal activity over the previous decade....

The three active-duty service members, whose identities have been concealed by the researchers and the Defense Department, allegedly witnessed a black void on the land that filled them with fear. Lacatski and Kelleher claim the men experienced paranormal activity after leaving the ranch and returning to homes in the Washington, D.C., area, such as orbs, dark figures in bedrooms at night, and strange noises.

The wife and two teen children of the sailor who investigated the Nimitz incident claimed to have seen a wolf-like creature that walked on two hind legs staring into their Virginia home on two occasions."

This is a serious US defence-oriented website kind-of referencing WEREWOLVES

lol

And it is serious:

"There are too many things that are unexplained that we just need an explanation for," said Emily Harding, the deputy director and senior fellow in the International Security Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington, D.C., think tank.

Harding was the deputy staff director on the Senate Intelligence Committee as it worked on the issue. She said Rubio took the lead and was able to approach it with an open mind. The reports from pilots and military personnel raised serious security issues -- and highlighted a real lack of data that made any conclusions about the incidents impossible."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/03/07/how-believers-paranormal-birthed-pentagons-new-hunt-ufos.html

We still have that dilemma. Either sections of the US military/political elite have gone mad, or *something* is out there
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Latest New Statesman forecast puts Lab + LD + Greens on 315 seats. Still requiring SNP support for a majority.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2022/01/britain-predicts

Sinn Fein has 7 MPs so that changes things a little. Perhaps one or two of the other 11 NI MPs might back the Government.

So you've got 315 Labour, LD and Greens on one side - 257 Conservative plus 55 SNP on the other equals 312.

The Speaker would support the Government on a tied vote so that leaves 4 Plaid and assuming the same as in 2019, 8 DUP, 2 SDLP and 1 Alliance MP.

Let's put the DUP eight with the Con/SNP side which equals 320 but if you put Plaid, SDLP and Alliance with the Lab/LD/Greens you'd have 322 (leaving the Speaker and the 7 absent SF MPs)

That makes the kingmakers Plaid Cymru and if they back the Government, Starmer doesn't need the SNP.
    There is no point discussing predictions without allowing for the boundary changes.

Look at the New Statesman's map. The constituencies in Wales have not been redrawn.

There won't be 4 Plaid Cymru seats after the boundary changes.

All the parties in Wales will lose seats as the total is down by eight.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Leon said:

Some of the stuff in that long, authoritative military.com article - published five days ago - is quite mind-boggling

"After the Nimitz investigation, the sailor and two Marines were sent to a Utah property known as Skinwalker Ranch, where Bigelow, the owner, had funded his own private research of UFO and paranormal activity over the previous decade....

The three active-duty service members, whose identities have been concealed by the researchers and the Defense Department, allegedly witnessed a black void on the land that filled them with fear. Lacatski and Kelleher claim the men experienced paranormal activity after leaving the ranch and returning to homes in the Washington, D.C., area, such as orbs, dark figures in bedrooms at night, and strange noises.

The wife and two teen children of the sailor who investigated the Nimitz incident claimed to have seen a wolf-like creature that walked on two hind legs staring into their Virginia home on two occasions."

lol

And it is serious:

"There are too many things that are unexplained that we just need an explanation for," said Emily Harding, the deputy director and senior fellow in the International Security Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington, D.C., think tank.

Harding was the deputy staff director on the Senate Intelligence Committee as it worked on the issue. She said Rubio took the lead and was able to approach it with an open mind. The reports from pilots and military personnel raised serious security issues -- and highlighted a real lack of data that made any conclusions about the incidents impossible."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/03/07/how-believers-paranormal-birthed-pentagons-new-hunt-ufos.html

We still have that dilemma. Either sections of the US military/political elite have gone mad, or *something* is out there

Have you read The Men Who Stare At Goats?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,111
    edited March 2022
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

We Need to Wean Ourselves of Foreign Fuels!
    How?
    By ditching the Green Crap which is aiming to wean us off fossil fuels.
    Thereby making petrol and energy cheaper so that we can continue to use exactly the same amount.

You are missing the point

We will need oil and gas for years to come and the more we produce ourselves during the transition period the more secure our energy supply is and we do not import the same oil and gas we can produce, from Russia and elsewhere

It is a simple proposition that should receive widespread popular support post this war
    Yep. It’s the same with the nonsense over the Cumbrian coal mine.

I have no idea if it’s deliberate, but the Green twats have been very useful to Putin.
    You voted Leave.
    That really is the political betting equivalent of “your mum”.
    Not really. It's meant to remind you that some of us can be in favour of things that also happen to benefit Putin, and we need to keep in mind that "usefulness to Putin" is not the only standard by which to judge things.

Also: your mum.
    Do you really think Russia wouldn’t have invaded Ukraine without Brexit?

Remember, Crimea was annexed in 2014.
    No, I do not think that.
    I'm saying Putin believed the breakup of the EU to be in his interests and has actively supported Western politicians who advocate for that. Hence supporting leaving the EU is "useful" to Putin. That doesn't make it wrong.
    I do sometimes wonder if Merkel was recruited by the KGB on one of her trips to Moscow during her GDR days.

If Russia wanted a leader to weaken Western unity they could do with someone who:

1) Allows Germany to get hooked on Russian energy
    2) Allows German banks to get hooked on Russian criminal finance
    3) Runs down German military capabilities
    4) Emphasises German trade profits over human rights
    5) Causes maximum disruption in the EU and NATO
    6) Invites anyone in the Middle East to migrate to Europe
    And there is the precedent of Gerhard Schroeder of course.
    As usual the pb.com braintrust hasn't really paid attention. Operation Krautwickel began much earlier. It was the first grand coalition under Kiesinger that began talking to the evil Soviets in the late sixties.
    Early BLM mole Herbert Frahm, famous for introducing the kneefall into the world of political virtue signalling (being bought off with a nobel peace prize), ultimately caved in.
    Once he was taken out of the picture by the Guillaume gambit, his successor ordered Thyssen to supply the pipes, Erich sent some engineering crews to assemble the whole shebang, and from that point on everything unravelled as planned. Germany - hooked on Russian gas for 45 years running - was isolated from "the west", NATO was hollowed out from within and then disbanded, the Forces of Good ended the cold war with their capitulation because the Soviets made some promises they later reneged on, and a look at the map today shows us Mexico and Canada as Warshaw pact members with Soviet missiles stationed in Alberta and Yucatan. Just like Valentin Falin dreamed it all up 1965.
    Wow, as a way of showing how superificial I was being that is an impressive effort. At the risk of being even more foolish it seems that German policy was heavily influenced by their approach to France and then the EU. Basically, they wanted their economies to become so integrated that any further war between them was not only inconceivable but impractical. They have tried the same with Russia, leading the charge to integrate them into the world economy and, in particular, with the German economy.

What we have seen in the last week looks like a fairly radical departure from a very long term strategy from outside. Would you agree?
    Radical but not irreversable. People sometimes forget how quickly things can change. The whole world in general, and Russia in particular, may look completely different in a couple of years. Long term strategies from 1986 looked quite outdated in 1989.
    That's nothing. On 1st February this year Russia was thought to have the third most powerful army in the world.
    And everyone knew BJ was an FLSOJ, so at least something is and will stay constant (except Tories’ interpretation of that fact).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Nigelb said:

I said a week or two back that Mercedes were probably a good lay at less than evens for the F1 championship.
    Looking as though that might be a decent bet.
    Hamilton absolutely emphatic that Mercedes is not in a good position right now. He doesn't expect Mercedes to fight for wins in its current form and says if people don't believe that, they will be surprised next weekend.

Asked if he can fight for the title this year, he says: "Obviously it’s a little bit too early to have those kinds of thoughts. At the moment I don’t think we’ll be competing for wins. But there is potential within our car to get us there. We’ve just got to extract it and fix our problems.

"That’s what we’re working on. Everyone’s doing a fantastic job, working as hard as they can.

"We have hurdles to overcome. Next week we will have a better showing of our pace. People will be surprised maybe - people think we are talking ourselves down but it’s different this year."…

First race is only a week away.

Heard it all before!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,558
    edited March 2022
    I see Carole Codswallop has been muck spreading again:

https://mobile.twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1502335524262096897

Guido’s response...

https://order-order.com/2022/03/12/a-personal-statement/

As someone on the receiving end of writ threats as an occupational hazard, it is not my inclination to sue for defamation, this internet meme that I advised the Kremlin is clearly defamatory, particularly so in the contemporary context. The only advice I gave them was unpaid, in public and it was to free Alexi Navalny and stop locking up political opponents. I’m proud of that advice and would tell them the same today.
    The original tweet (above that one in the thread) has been evanished.

What did it say?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,775
    IanB2 said:

And on to the agility finals for the young handlers…aged 12-17

I'm surprised PB isn't discussing the odds more on those. I mean, they were happy to discuss the Olympic horse thingies, and those horses were positively uncooperative on occasion. At least the dogs are trying.
  • Options
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

We Need to Wean Ourselves of Foreign Fuels!
    How?
    By ditching the Green Crap which is aiming to wean us off fossil fuels.
    Thereby making petrol and energy cheaper so that we can continue to use exactly the same amount.

You are missing the point

We will need oil and gas for years to come and the more we produce ourselves during the transition period the more secure our energy supply is and we do not import the same oil and gas we can produce, from Russia and elsewhere

It is a simple proposition that should receive widespread popular support post this war
    With respect I'm not at all.
    Any plan which focuses only on increasing supply whilst doing nothing to address demand is simply magical thinking.
    This comment always surprises me. We have been addressing demand reduction successfully literally for decades, and it is well known in the public domain.

Here are the numbers for 2000 to 2020 for households (despite soft-pedalling Energy Efficiency in the owner occupied sector).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1021836/Energy_Consumption_in_the_UK_2021.pdf

The reduction in the domestic sector total energy use over that period is around 20-25%.

Then you need to add in that there are at least 15% more dwellings, and the population has gone from 59m in 2000 to 67m in 2020.

Still that overall reduction has been achieved; the progress is remarkable.

Can anyone find a stated per-household energy consumption figure since say 2000 to now. TO me it looks like approximately 40% or a little more.
    What's really amazing is that there are some very significant energy saving innovations that have yet to have an impact, as many homes have not updated appliances or lighting on a decade, and there are the next generation of heat pumps and air conditioners still to make any impact.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

We had our local Ukraine all-party rally (a couple of hundred people) organised by Jeremy Hunt, with the focus on refugees. I took a straw poll of whether people in Godalming would be prepared to accept 10 Ukrainians without visas as part of a national welcome to 20,000 as a start - pretty much everyone raised their hands. Obviously a biased sample of people who care about the issue, but I do think Patel or Johnson or whoever it is has been behind the curve on this. People are uneasy about chaos immigration - hiding in lorries, taking dinghies over the Channel - but they're absolutely up for a Government-sponsored programme to host large numbers. The local Council is completely swamped with offers to put people up indefinitely.

After the rally, incidentally, an elderly Tory-looking lady (I know one can't generalise, but posh coat and pearls) came up to me and said she'd never been a member of any political party but had now joined Labour "since I have come to the conclusion that the Government is corrupt". 1 person is ultimate anecdata, but I do think the Blue Wall is quietly crumbling.

Interesting way to look at the numbers. You say "20,000" and it's easy to think gosh, that's a lot of people. But then you work out that it's 1 person coming to Banff and you think gosh, what's all the fuss? Presentation is key.
    Yes, that was my point. I think it would actually take 100 refugees to come to Godalming, population 21,000, (equivalent to 200,000 nationally) before most people noticed at all.
    How do you pronounce Godalming? My brain just says "goddamning" but I guess the people who live there tend to emphasise the L to make it sound less like that. It's a funny place name either way.
    GOD-all-ming with the stress on the first syllable
    Foreigners (I don't mean Ukrainians, just anyone from anywhere else) tend to say godALming. But John is right.
    I say godALming to take the piss, to be honest. A bit like how I say Isle of Widget.
    Presumably you tell people you are going for ghoti and chips on the seafront at Ryde.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    DavidL said:

England do seem to be trying to put the foot down but this pitch is surely too dead for a result.

It must be dead if Crawley was able to score 121.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

I said a week or two back that Mercedes were probably a good lay at less than evens for the F1 championship.
    Hamilton absolutely emphatic that Mercedes is not in a good position right now. He doesn't expect Mercedes to fight for wins in its current form and says if people don't believe that, they will be surprised next weekend.

Asked if he can fight for the title this year, he says: "Obviously it’s a little bit too early to have those kinds of thoughts. At the moment I don’t think we’ll be competing for wins. But there is potential within our car to get us there. We’ve just got to extract it and fix our problems.

"That’s what we’re working on. Everyone’s doing a fantastic job, working as hard as they can.

"We have hurdles to overcome. Next week we will have a better showing of our pace. People will be surprised maybe - people think we are talking ourselves down but it’s different this year."…

Heard it all before!
    Did you see the Mercedes’ porpoising ?
    As I said at the time, this is a new formula, with quite strictly limited spending; there’s no good reason to think Merc are better than evens favourites.

In any event, I have laid on Betfair, and hope to trade out at a good profit.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    Here's a question for those who know more about automobile design and manufacturing than I do: It seems to me that, eventually, the transition to all-electric cars should make possible cars that are less expensive and more reliable.

Consider, for example, a Toyota Prius (or any other hybrid). It has two systems of propulsion, electric motors and an internal combustion engine. If you are increase the size of the first, and eliminate the second, you reduce the number of parts, which should cut costs and increase reliability. And, I would think, make it possible to automate even more of the production lines.

Making an all-electric car cheaper would, as I understand it, require a reduction in battery prices, but I don't see any reason that can't happen, within the next 5 or 10 years.

Note please, that I said, "make possible". There will always be some people attracted to certain automobiles because they are expensive, but I think there are still many people who are looking for reliable bargain transportation, people who would be attracted to a simple, all-electric car, because it was less expensive.

So, am I missing anything in this very simple analysis?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

We had our local Ukraine all-party rally (a couple of hundred people) organised by Jeremy Hunt, with the focus on refugees. I took a straw poll of whether people in Godalming would be prepared to accept 10 Ukrainians without visas as part of a national welcome to 20,000 as a start - pretty much everyone raised their hands. Obviously a biased sample of people who care about the issue, but I do think Patel or Johnson or whoever it is has been behind the curve on this. People are uneasy about chaos immigration - hiding in lorries, taking dinghies over the Channel - but they're absolutely up for a Government-sponsored programme to host large numbers. The local Council is completely swamped with offers to put people up indefinitely.

After the rally, incidentally, an elderly Tory-looking lady (I know one can't generalise, but posh coat and pearls) came up to me and said she'd never been a member of any political party but had now joined Labour "since I have come to the conclusion that the Government is corrupt". 1 person is ultimate anecdata, but I do think the Blue Wall is quietly crumbling.

Interesting way to look at the numbers. You say "20,000" and it's easy to think gosh, that's a lot of people. But then you work out that it's 1 person coming to Banff and you think gosh, what's all the fuss? Presentation is key.
    Yes, that was my point. I think it would actually take 100 refugees to come to Godalming, population 21,000, (equivalent to 200,000 nationally) before most people noticed at all.
    How do you pronounce Godalming? My brain just says "goddamning" but I guess the people who live there tend to emphasise the L to make it sound less like that. It's a funny place name either way.
    Foreigners (I don't mean Ukrainians, just anyone from anywhere else) tend to say godALming. But John is right.
    I say godALming to take the piss, to be honest. A bit like how I say Isle of Widget.
    Presumably you tell people you are going for ghoti and chips on the seafront at Ryde.
    To my shame, I have never actually visited the Isle of Wight. It's something I should probably do at some point.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    286 to win off 70 overs. 10 minutes ish before lunch.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,194

DavidL said:

England do seem to be trying to put the foot down but this pitch is surely too dead for a result.

It must be dead if Crawley was able to score 121.
    It will be difficult for West Indies. They are an inexperienced team not used to winning or grinding out draws.

Or is that us? 👍
  • Options
    I posted a tweet with the same video as this one earlier, but wasn't sure who was speaking in it.

It's this guy, Vladimir Solovyov "a Russian journalist, television presenter, writer and propagandist. He is best known for his anti-Ukrainian statements."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Solovyov_(journalist)

Alex Kokcharov
    @AlexKokcharov
    In #Russia, one of the top Kremlin propagandists Solovyov says during his talk show: “With the sanctions like these, why should we stop at the borders of #Ukraine?”

Translation: Kremlin propaganda is promoting invasion of NATO member states.

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1502609663476514822
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited March 2022
    I see Root has taken my advice. Sensible man.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

To my shame, I have never actually visited the Isle of Wight. It's something I should probably do at some point.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4KkasYlhG8
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Heard it all before!
    Mind games are bloody silly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Heard it all before!
    As I said at the time, this is a new formula, with quite strictly limited spending; there’s no good reason to think Merc are better than evens favourites.

To be honest I have little knowledge about the technicalities. I'm just wary about teams and drivers playing down their chances.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

Saw the movie and know the thesis

The difference this time is that the "madness" has reached as far as the Senate, passing laws

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Here's a question for those who know more about automobile design and manufacturing than I do: It seems to me that, eventually, the transition to all-electric cars should make possible cars that are less expensive and more reliable.

Consider, for example, a Toyota Prius (or any other hybrid). It has two systems of propulsion, electric motors and an internal combustion engine. If you are increase the size of the first, and eliminate the second, you reduce the number of parts, which should cut costs and increase reliability. And, I would think, make it possible to automate even more of the production lines.

Making an all-electric car cheaper would, as I understand it, require a reduction in battery prices, but I don't see any reason that can't happen, within the next 5 or 10 years.

Note please, that I said, "make possible". There will always be some people attracted to certain automobiles because they are expensive, but I think there are still many people who are looking for reliable bargain transportation, people who would be attracted to a simple, all-electric car, because it was less expensive.

No, you're right.
    Already some claim that the Total Cost of Ownership of an electric car is less than an iCE vehicle. Most of this analysis I've seen is based on US costs. I would expect the UK would be more favourable to electric cars except perhaps the purchasing incentives.
    I think 5 to 10 years is pessimistic.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4KkasYlhG8
    It looks very nice.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Latest New Statesman forecast puts Lab + LD + Greens on 315 seats. Still requiring SNP support for a majority.

Sinn Fein has 7 MPs so that changes things a little. Perhaps one or two of the other 11 NI MPs might back the Government.

So you've got 315 Labour, LD and Greens on one side - 257 Conservative plus 55 SNP on the other equals 312.

The Speaker would support the Government on a tied vote so that leaves 4 Plaid and assuming the same as in 2019, 8 DUP, 2 SDLP and 1 Alliance MP.

Let's put the DUP eight with the Con/SNP side which equals 320 but if you put Plaid, SDLP and Alliance with the Lab/LD/Greens you'd have 322 (leaving the Speaker and the 7 absent SF MPs)

That makes the kingmakers Plaid Cymru and if they back the Government, Starmer doesn't need the SNP.
    If Labour take seats off the SNP, although it won’t change the numbers required for an overall majority, it will affect the arithmetic for a minority government.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,443

Dura_Ace said:

It's like being in an Edith Wharton novel on here today.

Screenplay by Julian Fucking Fellowes.
    Julian strongly denies such accusations and says he's all about the ladies.
  • Options
    Of course this is when, ideally, we’d have selected our two 500+ Test wicket players.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,267

I agree. One of the stated advantages of electric battery cars is that they are mechanically simpler than internal combustion cars. Batteries would be expected to come down in price, as volume of production increases and the technology continues to develop - but increasing demand for battery cars (and for batteries as electricity storage), may hold prices up for a while.
  • Options

No, you're right.
    Already some claim that the Total Cost of Ownership of an electric car is less than an iCE vehicle. Most of this analysis I've seen is based on US costs. I would expect the UK would be more favourable to electric cars except perhaps the purchasing incentives.
    I think 5 to 10 years is pessimistic.
    On Li batteries, we don't seem to be at the end of the cost reduction curve yet.

And then there are other technologies...
  • Options
    biggles said:

Of course this is when, ideally, we’d have selected our two 500+ Test wicket players.

Yes, it's important that they play every series so that when they retire they are replaced with completely inexperienced players.
  • Options

I agree. One of the stated advantages of electric battery cars is that they are mechanically simpler than internal combustion cars. Batteries would be expected to come down in price, as volume of production increases and the technology continues to develop - but increasing demand for battery cars (and for batteries as electricity storage), may hold prices up for a while.
    I guess the ideal model is that you never actually own your battery, but instead it gets swapped out at the filling station? Gets you around charging times within or around the vehicle, other than over night at home.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    And on the the flyball semi-finals, standing room only…

Record holders Focus win the first…but High Flyers make it even

It goes to the decider….Focus win!
  • Options
    Applicant said:

biggles said:

Yes, it's important that they play every series so that when they retire they are replaced with completely inexperienced players.
    I don’t recall the Aussies “resting” McGrath and Warne much. And you can manage them within a series whilst still having them in the squad, if you really want to.
  • Options

I don’t think so.
    Batteries are set to get a lot cheaper as the new factories get built. On existing tech electric vehicles ought to be cheaper to build within five years, and likely much cheaper within ten.

And of course China already has an ultra cheap car, albeit with limited size and range, which is the best selling model in the Chinese market.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56178802
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Oh, it's lovely. Friends of ours used to live near Freshwater on the quieter western half. It helps if you like scenery, Victorian fortifications, and geology, too.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

The difference this time is that the "madness" has reached as far as the Senate, passing laws

Jon Ronson's original CH4 series 'Crazy Rulers of the World' (where the 'Men Who State At Goats' first appeared) is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. The "madness" has been there for quite a time. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437000/
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Heard it all before!

To be honest I have little knowledge about the technicalities. I'm just wary about teams and drivers playing down their chances.
    Mercedes are genuinely struggling in terms of car handling, which is nothing to do with ‘sandbagging’, and the first race is a week away.
    The Red Bull looks planted - and is a second quicker.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Now the Aces High from Kent, 2019 champions, versus the Komondos from Durham, runners up last time..

Aces looking good in the warm up.

First round goes to Aces, Komandos drop the ball

And Aces take the second after another fault by Komandos

So it’s an Aces V Focus final tomorrow!
  • Options
    biggles said:

I guess the ideal model is that you never actually own your battery, but instead it gets swapped out at the filling station? Gets you around charging times within or around the vehicle, other than over night at home.
    Well, that did seem like an option, but you'd have to build the battery in a way that it was easy to remove and replace. And you'd want as standardised a battery as possible, to maximise the chance of the right one being ready and charged for you to swap in - effectively something like an AA battery for cars.

Those considerations make it harder than you'd think, especially as the batteries can weigh about half a tonne.

Back in ~2001 I had a phone that was able to use AAA batteries as an emergency backup for when the normal battery was flat, and I suppose you might be able to have something like that - the battery equivalent of a jerrycan of fuel - where you could have a battery pack that weighed a few kilos and would give you enough power to reach the nearest charging point.
  • Options

I posted a tweet with the same video as this one earlier, but wasn't sure who was speaking in it.

It's this guy, Vladimir Solovyov "a Russian journalist, television presenter, writer and propagandist. He is best known for his anti-Ukrainian statements."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Solovyov_(journalist)

Alex Kokcharov
    @AlexKokcharov
    In #Russia, one of the top Kremlin propagandists Solovyov says during his talk show: “With the sanctions like these, why should we stop at the borders of #Ukraine?”

Translation: Kremlin propaganda is promoting invasion of NATO member states.

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1502609663476514822

Presumably Solovyov is unaware of the performance of Russia's armed forces, and therefore the likely outcomes of such an action.
  • Options
    biggles said:

A friend of mine tried to do that in Israel with a business called Better Place. Now he was a bit early, but I think the barriers to doing it that way are far from trivial.

Battery charging is being better and better (and faster and faster). The first Tesla superchargers could add four miles of range per minute. The latest great chargers can add 15. If we get to 30, then - sure - its slower than pumping gas... But it's only something you'd do on road trips, and is 10-15 minutes to full that big a deal?
  • Options
    biggles said:

That lease model was used by Nissan/Renault, but they seem to have backed away from it as batteries become more established.

I think there are third party battery leasing services available, however.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412

biggles said:

Well, that did seem like an option, but you'd have to build the battery in a way that it was easy to remove and replace. And you'd want as standardised a battery as possible, to maximise the chance of the right one being ready and charged for you to swap in - effectively something like an AA battery for cars.

Those considerations make it harder than you'd think, especially as the batteries can weigh about half a tonne.

Back in ~2001 I had a phone that was able to use AAA batteries as an emergency backup for when the normal battery was flat, and I suppose you might be able to have something like that - the battery equivalent of a jerrycan of fuel - where you could have a battery pack that weighed a few kilos and would give you enough power to reach the nearest charging point.
    A 100Kwh Tesla battery weighs 625 kg and has a volume of 0.4m3. For a range of 315 miles.... Even a few miles of range is going to weigh a lot.

In addition, many electric car designs (including Tesla) use the battery partly as structure - replacing the battery is possible, but you have to bolt the car to a special jig first. Big workshop job.

Various battery swap scheme has been looked at, but the increases in the size of batteries and the increases in charging speed seem to have killed them off, mostly.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

A friend of mine tried to do that in Israel with a business called Better Place. Now he was a bit early, but I think the barriers to doing it that way are far from trivial.

Battery charging is being better and better (and faster and faster). The first Tesla superchargers could add four miles of range per minute. The latest great chargers can add 15. If we get to 30, then - sure - its slower than pumping gas... But it's only something you'd do on road trips, and is 10-15 minutes to full that big a deal?
    No - and it will steadily improve, so there’s zero incentive to spend billions on designing and building factories for new vehicles with swappable batteries, which no one other than a couple of efforts in China is currently doing.

It might be viable for a standardised small form battery and electric scooters/motorbikes, though.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Morton Magnets also through to the final.

Now it’s Lightning Strikes, three collies and a crossbreed, versus the Belgian team, Road Runners - reigning European champions and the first non-UK team to reach Crufts Flyball.

A fault by the Runners, then by the Strikes, the Strikes given the first round.

And the Runners take the second with a brilliant run - a new course record at 14.95 seconds!

Now the decider - and the Belgian Roadrunners take it - another course record - 14.84 seconds! (European record is 14.53)
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

Jon Ronson's original CH4 series 'Crazy Rulers of the World' (where the 'Men Who State At Goats' first appeared) is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. The "madness" has been there for quite a time. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437000/
    My best guess - right now - is that there is a hardcore of people in the US military/politics who really DO think there is something deeply mysterious going on, and it’s not ordinarily human. Are they mad? Dunno. Possibly

There’s a wider circle of politicians and the like who are clueless but perplexed, and hedging their bets

This confusion has been weaponised by others to freak out the Chinese, who must be staring at this and thinking “does the US have amazing technology and this is a hint?”

At the same time there might be countervailing forces who want this info suppressed. Either because the US DOES have the tech but wants it kept secret, or because they are scared that if the public does discover we are being visited by inexplicable forces, society might break down entirely

Complicated. But I think that explains what we see. Probably
  • Options
    Propaganda, or true ?

https://twitter.com/kw_danielv/status/1502674112975618054
    Intelligence: Kadyrov’s men shot 12 wounded Russian soldiers instead of evacuating them to Belarus
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Now it’s the contest for the Saturday champions - Focus v Aces

Aces given the first, after Focus’s dog goes to the wrong side. That dog gets substituted. Focus, from Selby, make it even. Focus take the decider.

Now the Magnets v the Belgian Roadrunners

And the Runners crush the first round.
  • Options

biggles said:

A 100Kwh Tesla battery weighs 625 kg and has a volume of 0.4m3. For a range of 315 miles.... Even a few miles of range is going to weigh a lot.

In addition, many electric car designs (including Tesla) use the battery partly as structure - replacing the battery is possible, but you have to bolt the car to a special jig first. Big workshop job.

Various battery swap scheme has been looked at, but the increases in the size of batteries and the increases in charging speed seem to have killed them off, mostly.
    An iPhone 13 Pro Max has a battery with a capacity of 16.75Wh, that's about 6,000 times smaller than the 100kWh Tesla battery. Of course people know that an electric car will lose a lot more electricity than a phone, but I think there'd be surprised at how much, and how much that makes the battery weigh. And I filled up the car earlier, after driving nearly 500 miles, and it took less than 40kg of fuel, which is another way of looking at the difference - about 20 times denser. You could have a very light smartphone, powered for a very long time, if you found a way to do it directly with oil.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    This Belgian Team looking well placed for tomorrow; their third run beat the course record from yesterday again.

And they take the second round and win 2:0

So now Saturday’s big one - Focus v the Runners

Both side have faults, the fifth dogs get sent in, looks like Focus win the first round

And the Belgians drop the ball!! Focus win 2:0, the reigning champions win the Saturday competition.

Suspense building for tomorrow’s final
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    A view from Ukraine:

According to information from the Ukrainian Chief Intelligence Directorate, President Vladimir Putin and Minister of Defence Sergei Shoygu are the last Russian statesmen left who support the war.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/03/12/7330718/
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

My best guess - right now - is that there is a hardcore of people in the US military/politics who really DO think there is something deeply mysterious going on, and it’s not ordinarily human. Are they mad? Dunno. Possibly

There’s a wider circle of politicians and the like who are clueless but perplexed, and hedging their bets

This confusion has been weaponised by others to freak out the Chinese, who must be staring at this and thinking “does the US have amazing technology and this is a hint?”

At the same time there might be countervailing forces who want this info suppressed. Either because the US DOES have the tech but wants it kept secret, or because they are scared that if the public does discover we are being visited by inexplicable forces, society might break down entirely

All nations no doubt have some secret technology.

I'm not sure any of that tech is as cool as Elon Musk's though.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

If you haven't, you seriously need to read Supernatural by Graham Hancock about LSD/ayahuasca/DMT and UAP links

There is a very strong connection between psychedelics and therianthropes, incl werewolves, dating back to prehistoric cave art in Europe/S Africa
  • Options

biggles said:

An iPhone 13 Pro Max has a battery with a capacity of 16.75Wh, that's about 6,000 times smaller than the 100kWh Tesla battery. Of course people know that an electric car will lose a lot more electricity than a phone, but I think there'd be surprised at how much, and how much that makes the battery weigh. And I filled up the car earlier, after driving nearly 500 miles, and it took less than 40kg of fuel, which is another way of looking at the difference - about 20 times denser. You could have a very light smartphone, powered for a very long time, if you found a way to do it directly with oil.
    Shipstone....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,230
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

All nations no doubt have some secret technology.

I'm not sure any of that tech is as cool as Elon Musk's though.

Russia's turned out to be strapping logs to the front of tanks.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

biggles said:

Shipstone....
    It feels like in many other ways the world is heading to the world of Friday
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Now it’s the young handlers … but the dog needs another walk in the afternoon sun before the excitement of this afternoon’s large agility final.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

biggles said:

Shipstone....
    It feels like in many other ways the world is heading to the world of Friday
    The Day After Friday

Including using the internet-in-all-but-name to research and discover the next world disaster.... a disease outbreak....
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

Fortean that I am notwithstanding, I’m more inclined to see this as Western disinformatsiya. The Russians and Chinese would never believe the Pentagon is taking UAPs and the supernatural seriously, but they would buy it being a cover story for some seriously high tech classified weapons. And it doesn’t matter whether have such weapons so long as they think we do.

It could be one reason that no matter how evil he has been so far or the sabre rattling he’s made, Putin has done nothing that might draw NATO into the conflict.
  • Options

A view from Ukraine:

According to information from the Ukrainian Chief Intelligence Directorate, President Vladimir Putin and Minister of Defence Sergei Shoygu are the last Russian statesmen left who support the war.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/03/12/7330718/

Interesting times (for me at least) in reading Pravda.

What was the line in the Goode Olde Days of the Cold War...

"There is no Izvestia in Pravda and no Pravda in Izvestia" ?
  • Options

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h
    Russia’s Foreign Ministry issued a new warning to Sweden and Finland about joining NATO.

It said membership would have serious military and political consequences, including retaliation.

Swedish MEP
    @weimers
    says every new threat brings Sweden one step closer to membership.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1502647001510551553
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    @JakeCordell
    ❗️Russia’s stock market will be closed for the whole of next week, Central Bank announces. That’s until at least March 21. Shares last traded on Feb. 25.

https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1502681986007281664
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    rpjs said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

lol

And it is serious:

Fortean that I am notwithstanding, I’m more inclined to see this as Western disinformatsiya. The Russians and Chinese would never believe the Pentagon is taking UAPs and the supernatural seriously, but they would buy it being a cover story for some seriously high tech classified weapons. And it doesn’t matter whether have such weapons so long as they think we do.

It could be one reason that no matter how evil he has been so far or the sabre rattling he’s made, Putin has done nothing that might draw NATO into the conflict.
    Giving him a bit of a clump on general principles, whilst the thing to do, does seem unwise.
  • Options
    England red card after 82 seconds.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Looked pretty blameless, that.
    Suppose I may as well switch off and now the lawn instead.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Still sounds like hell for Starmer to me. LibDem coalition, or potent minority Government with LibDem confidence and supply makes sense; but I think he’d do anything to avoid the above “rainbow” scenario. He’d have to take power but he’d hate it, and run a big risk of a death Tory Gvt not long down the line.

Edit - And Labour on the way to power will of course rediscover all the reasons not to do PR.
    If Burnham has returned as an MP he will also be heir apparent, waiting in the wings if Starmer slips up. Much like Boris was for Cameron
  • Options

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h
    Russia’s Foreign Ministry issued a new warning to Sweden and Finland about joining NATO.

It said membership would have serious military and political consequences, including retaliation.

Swedish MEP
    @weimers

HMS Prince of Wales is heading up to the Arctic as part of Norwegian led exercises.

I'm sure it's all a coincidence.
  • Options

Yay!

I can focus on the cricket and Man Utd v Spurs instead now.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I think the French ref thought Ewels looked the type to shut the door on a refugee.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    Cookie said:

I get that they are trying to get tackles lower etc, but a red card for that? Yellow would punish, but not kill the game. This could 40+ for Ireland or more now. Fucking shit.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,111
    How does it go again?

Dirty England..
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

He would have been better off opening up a chip shop called Better Plaice.....
  • Options

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h

Swedish MEP
    @weimers

Seems unlikely - given Russia has already run out of its own soldiers and is now relying on the might of Belarus and Syria - that Russia has the resources to retaliate against Sweden and Finland right now.
  • Options
    WSJ chief foreign correspondent report from Kharkiv.
    Grim, and pace @TOPPING , gives some convincing detail on how the war went at the start.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-the-rubble-of-ukraines-second-largest-city-survivors-make-their-stand-nobody-wants-the-russians-11647013623

A link here which avoids the paywall.
    https://twitter.com/jessicasunja/status/1502342507241299975
  • Options
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1502615172841709579

@jk_rowling
    Now
    @Keir_Starmer
    publicly misrepresents equalities law, in yet another indication that the Labour Party can no longer be counted on to defend women’s rights. But I repeat: women are organising across party lines, and their resolve and their anger are growing.

I think this is going to be a problem for Starmer at the election.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    rpjs said:

You don't need to hypothesize a Russian belief in nonexistent US secret superweapons to explain that -- the nuclear weapons that the Russians can be 100% certain the US has are entirely adequate reason...
  • Options
    War is hell...

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    One of the #Russian bloggers cries that in two days her Instagram will stop working

She does not care at all about the thousands of dead people, including her compatriots. Obviously, her biggest worry right now is that she won't be able to post pictures of food from restaurants.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1502433817465864198
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h

Swedish MEP
    @weimers

Seems unlikely - given Russia has already run out of its own soldiers and is now relying on the might of Belarus and Syria - that Russia has the resources to retaliate against Sweden and Finland right now.
    Careful, the Russians might learn a trick or two from the French, and fart in their general direction....
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    tlg86 said:

@jk_rowling
    Now
    @Keir_Starmer
    publicly misrepresents equalities law, in yet another indication that the Labour Party can no longer be counted on to defend women’s rights. But I repeat: women are organising across party lines, and their resolve and their anger are growing.

I think it will be. He shouldn't mouth slogans.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

War is hell...

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    One of the #Russian bloggers cries that in two days her Instagram will stop working

She does not care at all about the thousands of dead people, including her compatriots. Obviously, her biggest worry right now is that she won't be able to post pictures of food from restaurants.

Well she may not be fully aware of the reality of the special military operation.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2022

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

There’s an upmarket chippy in New York called “Assalt & Battery” which I thought was a rather good name…
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,050

Sweden planning to cater for over 210,000 Ukrainian refugees by the summer.

That's in the same ball park as Ireland's planning, relative to their respective populations. On an even basis across the EU it equates to 9 million Ukrainian refugees. If the UK were to take a similar number of refugees we would be looking at 1.3 million.

Very clear that HMG is desperate to avoid taking even one-tenth of that number.
    Yes, you need to analyse the contribution of the various states in proportion to their populations. Sweden is only 10 million people.

We have been incredibly generous to refugees from many, many conflicts. Chile, Somalia, Iran, Iraq, former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Syria spring to mind, but hundreds of others too.

Why is Sweden so generous?
    Lots of empty space
    Don’t be daft. We house refugees in existing cities and towns. They are hardly a significant additional land-use category.
    Population density - Malmo* 4,049/km2

Population density - London 5,701/km2

* I recall reading this was where a lot of immigrants end up, but in any event I suspect most places in Sweden have lower density
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Nigelb said:

WSJ chief foreign correspondent report from Kharkiv.
    Grim, and pace @TOPPING , gives some convincing detail on how the war went at the start.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-the-rubble-of-ukraines-second-largest-city-survivors-make-their-stand-nobody-wants-the-russians-11647013623

A link here which avoids the paywall.
    https://twitter.com/jessicasunja/status/1502342507241299975

Yeah pretty horrible.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

Or writing a guide to marine life called Know Your Plaice.
  • Options

@JakeCordell
    ❗️Russia’s stock market will be closed for the whole of next week, Central Bank announces. That’s until at least March 21. Shares last traded on Feb. 25.

Worthless companies valued in worthless roubles. Not much point in opening ever again...

Your average Russian's pension pot might buy a bottle of vodka to drown your sorrows.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@jk_rowling
    Now
    @Keir_Starmer

Women may well be organising across party lines. Cyclefree, amongst others, has been eloquent in setting out the implications for women in believing what the Labour Party appear to believe about what a woman is.
    And I'd agree that the stance that a man can become a woman simply by declaring that he one IS damaging to women.
    But that seems an almost incidental one to the more significant objection that such a stance is absolutely insane.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

tlg86 said:

@jk_rowling
    Now
    @Keir_Starmer

Never foirgert how comfortable he was in the Corbyn shadow cabinet, his real views on 'rejoin' - every now and then the mask slips. He is no blairite moderniser.
  • Options

War is hell...

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv

To be fair, if we were banned from this site, we wouldn’t like it much.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Nigelb said:

F1 drivers and teams lie or mislead. A lot. Including him. So he's right some wont believe it.
  • Options

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    2h

Swedish MEP
    @weimers

If they ask, then immediate accession. And for any other European country not already at war with Russia.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

@JakeCordell

Worthless companies valued in worthless roubles. Not much point in opening ever again...

Your average Russian's pension pot might buy a bottle of vodka to drown your sorrows.
    Shhh. Some of us have a secret plan to waltz in after the war, but it all up and be in the next generation of Oligarchs.
  • Options

I recall watching a wendover video on car batteries, as apparently the cost of vehicles is already at or nearly at the point of what would be what people are willing to pay, and the distance they can cover is too. So IIRC it wasnt that they needed batteries to get that much cheaper for it to really take off, it was the ubiquity of charging that remained an issue, and how quickly theyd charge.

But vague recollections can be wrong. No expert here.
  • Options
    Russell echoes Hamilton’s comments.
    Note, with such limited testing, you simply do not do something like this to hide a car’s performance. They just haven’t got it working yet.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/821438/Russell_Mercedes_behind_Red_Bull_and_Ferrari_8216in_every_condition/
    … “It’s definitely bouncing around from within, it’s not the comfiest in all honesty, but I don’t really care about comfort if the performance is there,” Russell said about the W13’s porpoising during testing.

“But at the moment the performance isn’t there, we do seem a step behind our rivals, and we do have a lot of work to do between now and next week to understand [it], because in every condition the Red Bull and Ferrari seem a step ahead of us.”

Russell suggested that neither Red Bull or Ferrari were “exceptional” but that Mercedes is “probably not as competitive as we’d like.

“It’s pretty clear where we’re limited, you’ve only got to watch the videos and you see us bouncing a lot, it’s not putting the car in the right window,” he said.

“The team are working incredibly hard to try and find solutions for this, we’ve yet to find one, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be able to find one ahead of next week or later in the season..

My Mercedes lay is a trading bet, and I’m very happy with it for now.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

@jk_rowling
    Now
    @Keir_Starmer

Women may well be organising across party lines. Cyclefree, amongst others, has been eloquent in setting out the implications for women in believing what the Labour Party appear to believe about what a woman is.
    And I'd agree that the stance that a man can become a woman simply by declaring that he one IS damaging to women.
    But that seems an almost incidental one to the more significant objection that such a stance is absolutely insane.
    The Inner House's decision in the appeal by For Woman Scotland Ltd is really eloquent on this issue: https://scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2022csih4.pdf?sfvrsn=7920df79_1

It accepts that the absurd conclusion of the Scottish legislation could be that legislation requiring public bodies to have boards with gender equality could be met if half of the members were men and the other half were men self identifying as women and that this would be a breach of the Equality Act.

This is a difficult issue but the right to respect and dignity which those who are transgender undoubtedly have really cannot be at the cost of the rights that women have won after an immense struggle. Whilst I respect and understand the empathy that SKS is showing to those who are transgender I think he is wrong about this.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2022
    Hmm.

I’ve got a winning accumulator bet on the footie which is now down to the last leg.

ManU.

My question boils down to - Are ManU value at 2.4? At those odds, are they a back or a lay?

I’m tempted to cashout, even though I’m loathe to pay the overround.

Dilemma.

I wish @isam was still around….
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

F1 drivers and teams lie or mislead. A lot. Including him. So he's right some wont believe it.
    You don’t spend three days of testing - a week before the first GP - faking dreadful car handling.
    This season is different - new rules; much more level playing field.

Had you done the same you could cash out for a 10%profit now.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

Propaganda, or true ?

https://twitter.com/kw_danielv/status/1502674112975618054
    Intelligence: Kadyrov’s men shot 12 wounded Russian soldiers instead of evacuating them to Belarus

I'm not saying its impossible, the Russian Moral compass is so defective right now anything is believable.

I think this is highly unlikely, shooting injured people would be devastating to the moral and any commander know that. It would seriously open you up to legal ramifications after the war, maybe not form the Hage, but frim your own side if they where looking for ScapeGoats, to blame for not being very good.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

@jk_rowling
    Now
    @Keir_Starmer

If he gets confronted by it it could, but he might get lucky. My sense is most people are super fussed and wish to just express support around trans issues, and the problems occur when people with actually very radical and uncompromising opinions on it develop and push slogans which politicians will try to push thinking it all simple and benign, when there are actually some more complex aspects, and it piss another minority opinion off. And the public will be inclined to the side which seems to talk common sense at that point, baffled by the more radical ideas.
This discussion has been closed.