Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Does Trump still tower over the GOP? Georgia 2022 – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,710
edited March 2022 in General
imageDoes Trump still tower over the GOP? Georgia 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Back in 2020 there was a lot of pre-election excitement about Texas flipping blue. But on election day and onwards the attention turned to events in Georgia. Democrats hadn’t come within 5% of winning the state since the Clinton era (won in ’92, just lost in ’96) but Democrats won it by the narrowest of margins. Then, after both senate seats went to run-offs, they flipped them both too.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,954
    First!

Wait...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456

Illia's still there, and reporting good news

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko
    Ukrainian intelligence: 18 Russian battalion tactical groups (BTGs) have lost their combat capability in action, 13 more have been completely destroyed.
    In general, Russia was believed to have had a total of 120-125 BTGs deployed against Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502403764787032070

No wonder they need Syria irregulars.

Though i doubt anyone has told the poor sods how cold it is in Ukr in March.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Quincel said:

First!

Wait...

I'm about to encourage a violent riot to overturn that first. And people will still think I should get that first.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    No mention of Putin? The jury's out on whether Trump will go down with Putin.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Leon said:

Dunno who is doing the social media PR for Ukraine but he/she is a genius

https://twitter.com/londonsymphony/status/1501513150079897607?s=20&t=HnJRnl_XP2sSIzqN8G0DGQ

Ukraine's information warfare/propaganda has been second to none, and is largely responsible for the strong feelings among the west as well as stiffening Ukr resolve.
  • Options
    It should be pretty remarkable that Trump's putting pressure on the Georgian officials so obvioulsy was not a blatant crime, but sadly it seems to be par for the course.

Georgia was such a positive result for Democrats in 2020 it is hard to avoid Quincel's conclusion that they won't be so lucky this time.
  • Options
    The point that Kemp would still back Trump even though Trump is backing another candidate shows it doesn't really matter if his preferred candidates get the nod or not. They still kowtow to him so long as the party supporters back him.
  • Options

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko
    Ukrainian intelligence: 18 Russian battalion tactical groups (BTGs) have lost their combat capability in action, 13 more have been completely destroyed.
    In general, Russia was believed to have had a total of 120-125 BTGs deployed against Ukraine.

I think cutting those numbers by 30% gives you a realistic view. From intercepted Russian comms we can be fairly certain that at least 15 BTGs have had their combat capability destroyed, and then maybe 5-10 more that we don't know 100% for certain can be added. On the flipside, Kochan consulting et al think that Russia only had in the 90s of BTGs to start with.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Nice post @Quincel but has Stacey Abrams ever acknowledged that Kemp is the rightful Governor or is she still sticking to her line that she won the 2018 election. And before you quote what she has said about accepting the election, her wording makes it entirely clear she has never truly accepted the 2018 result.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    EDIT: On second thoughts, I'd rather not post this.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591
    Chameleon said:

Leon said:

Dunno who is doing the social media PR for Ukraine but he/she is a genius

https://twitter.com/londonsymphony/status/1501513150079897607?s=20&t=HnJRnl_XP2sSIzqN8G0DGQ

Ukraine's information warfare/propaganda has been second to none, and is largely responsible for the strong feelings among the west as well as stiffening Ukr resolve.
    That particular video is without peer

"Illia Bondarenko had to film this between explosions, because he could not hear himself play"

Searingly beautiful, and haunting, and true, and piercing, and makes me want to cry, and will win more hearts and minds for Ukraine than a zillion average agitprop campaigns
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Chameleon said:

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

I think cutting those numbers by 30% gives you a realistic view. From intercepted Russian comms we can be fairly certain that at least 15 BTGs have had their combat capability destroyed, and then maybe 5-10 more that we don't know 100% for certain can be added. On the flipside, Kochan consulting et al think that Russia only had in the 90s of BTGs to start with.
    I'm not a military man, but I doubt losing about 30% of your force in a couple of weeks against a vastly inferior enemy is a great performance.
  • Options
    Perdue's loss was hilarious. Because it was a runoff system even though he got 49.7% in the first round he did not win outright, and he actually went backwards to 49.4% in that runoff and lost. He only needed like 10k more votes (wiki says over 100k for the libertarian), about the same Trump himself needed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Perdue's loss was hilarious. Because it was a runoff system even though he got 49.7% in the first round he did not win outright, and he actually went backwards to 49.4% in that runoff and lost. He only needed like 10k more votes (wiki says over 100k for the libertarian), about the same Trump himself needed.

A great victory for democracy though. Ossoff is incredibly impressive, and will make a serious tilt for the Presidency, perhaps as soon as 2028.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Nice post @Quincel but has Stacey Abrams ever acknowledged that Kemp is the rightful Governor or is she still sticking to her line that she won the 2018 election. And before you quote what she has said about accepting the election, her wording makes it entirely clear she has never truly accepted the 2018 result.

Abram's position is that her campaign was unsuccessful but that she didn't concede as it wasn't a fair election. I'm not sure what you think that proves in relation to betting on the next election.
    It's the longstanding attempt to equate what might be petulant reactions to loss and spiteful comments about it from some quarters, to the launching of dozens of legally ludicrous challenges (as shown by their outcomes) and actual members of congress refusing to certify legitimate election results they didn't like. These reactions were not equivalent.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,863

Deltapoll breaks:

London
    Lab 48%
    Con 23%
    LD 12%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 33%
    LD 14%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 2%

Midlands
    Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 10%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 3%

North
    Lab 55%
    Con 30%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    PC 13%
    LD 7%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 2%

Scotland
    SNP 48%
    Lab 20%
    Con 17%
    LD 11%
    Grn 3%
    Ref -

(Sample Size: 2,003; Fieldwork: 8- 11 March 2022)

The Red Wall is almost certainly lost for the Tories now.
    Looks like it. The opposition parties will have a conundrum in the South, though. On these figures there are a number of Blue Wall seats where the LibDems were second last time but Labour is now second by a fair margin. Unless there's a quiet deal, neither is going to ease off for the other in seats like that.
    Yes, I can see that as a dilemma. In my seat it varies from election to election who is the main challenger.
  • Options
    Wiki note about the campaign for the seat Purdue lost.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, this campaign was the most expensive in U.S. Senate history, with over $468 million spent

I know it was for effective control of the Senate, but Jesus Christ that is just too much money.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Abram's position is that her campaign was unsuccessful but that she didn't concede as it wasn't a fair election. I'm not sure what you think that proves in relation to betting on the next election.
    On betting on it, absolutely nothing although I do think that it is uncomfortable for Abrams / the Democrats that they are criticising Trump for his claims about 2020 while Abrams is essentially making the same claims about 2018.

Personally, I think Kemp will win the nomination (Perdue essentially is a loser given what happened) and he’ll beat Abrams again. Abrams will then complain about voter suppression etc etc
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Chameleon said:

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

I'm not a military man, but I doubt losing about 30% of your force in a couple of weeks against a vastly inferior enemy is a great performance.
    You may think that, but Shoigu assures us otherwise. Presumably the arrest of the FSB departments in charge of Ukraine, as well as losing 3/4 of the 20-21 Generals in Ukraine was also part of the plan.

The brittleness of the Russian BTG had been extensively observed and analysed prior to the invasion. The big question is what Russia will do next.
  • Options
    I understand the reluctance to actually engage Russia militarily.

I understand the need to officially delegitimise soldiers deserting to fight for Ukraine.

I really hope the official side is for show.

I want any soldier brave enough to fight for Ukraine given whatever legal cover they need.

There should already be a base for these guys in Poland. With a million Ukrainian army uniforms. A million Ukrainian passports. And a Ukrainian language centre teaching important phrases like..

Слава Україні!

and

Російський воєнний корабель, іди нахуй!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited March 2022
    BBC losing another one of their better radio programmes, obviously off to somewhere else. If I was Spotify, I would pay for that show.

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo are ending their 5 Live film show
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60705765
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Fishing said:

Chameleon said:

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

You may think that, but Shoigu assures us otherwise. Presumably the arrest of the FSB departments in charge of Ukraine, as well as losing 3/4 of the 20-21 Generals in Ukraine was also part of the plan.

The brittleness of the Russian BTG had been extensively observed and analysed prior to the invasion. The big question is what Russia will do next.
    This seems to be an interesting observation on the combined ops capabilities of a BTG. It is fine up to a point of losses. Note that those don't have to be combat losses, breakdowns will have the same effect.

"The rule of thumb is that when a unit loses around 1/3 of its paper strength, it is effectively destroyed. For a 800-man Russian BTG, that amounts to just 3 tanks and around 20 other armored vehicles /4 https://t.co/RufUjEtHNV"

https://twitter.com/raguileramx/status/1499153985659453450?t=IQMzTmeHi0qSMKCwFo0IeA&s=19
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591
    HK/China

"China’s “zero-tolerance” strategy to stamp out coronavirus appears to have failed catastrophically in Hong Kong, with the city now suffering the highest weekly death rates in the world.

"Thousands of people, mostly the elderly and the unvaccinated, have contracted the highly transmissible Omicron and Delta variants this month as new infections have risen to about 30,000 a day despite a drastic lockdown and border controls.

"Millions of people are also enduring lockdowns in mainland China as clusters of new cases of Covid-19 are reported. However, public health experts warned yesterday that the Beijing government’s long-standing policy of mass testing and strict isolation to quell any hint of an outbreak was “doomed to fail” against the Omicron strain."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hong-kong-health-system-failing-as-covid-death-rate-surges-9j85ztht7
  • Options
    Weirdest thing today has been England cricket. Its' a sign of the end times.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

A great victory for democracy though. Ossoff is incredibly impressive, and will make a serious tilt for the Presidency, perhaps as soon as 2028.
    Saw him speak a few times and he did come across as impressive. I cannot be having a US Senator be younger than me though, that means I am approaching middle age.

My favourite fact about the recent trend of US elections is that Buttiegieg could run for President in 2056 and still be younger than Biden was, and Ossof could run in 2064 and still do it.

Incidentally, Biden was first elected to the Senate when he was only 29, but in the picture on the wiki page for it he still looks about 45.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_United_States_Senate_election_in_Delaware
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Foxy said:

Deltapoll breaks:

London
    Lab 48%
    Con 23%
    LD 12%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 33%
    LD 14%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 2%

Midlands
    Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 10%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 3%

North
    Lab 55%
    Con 30%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    PC 13%
    LD 7%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 2%

Scotland
    SNP 48%
    Lab 20%
    Con 17%
    LD 11%
    Grn 3%
    Ref -

Looks like it. The opposition parties will have a conundrum in the South, though. On these figures there are a number of Blue Wall seats where the LibDems were second last time but Labour is now second by a fair margin. Unless there's a quiet deal, neither is going to ease off for the other in seats like that.
    Yes, I can see that as a dilemma. In my seat it varies from election to election who is the main challenger.
    The problem is that LAB is not good at taking Tory seats. The last LAB by-election gain from the Tories was in 2012
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

On betting on it, absolutely nothing although I do think that it is uncomfortable for Abrams / the Democrats that they are criticising Trump for his claims about 2020 while Abrams is essentially making the same claims about 2018.

Personally, I think Kemp will win the nomination (Perdue essentially is a loser given what happened) and he’ll beat Abrams again. Abrams will then complain about voter suppression etc etc
    Surely that depends on the evidence for each claim? If Harold Shipman had shouted at the prosecutor during his trial 'I say you killed them!' no-one would have said it was uncomfortable for the CPS that they were being accused of the same thing as he was.

I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about the claims on each side since it doesn't achieve anything and there are endless sites on the web where we can argue politics endlessly. I come here to talk betting if possible.

Thought if you want to spend the rest of the night (and other nights) arguing about it I won't try and stop you.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030

BBC losing another one of their better radio programmes, obviously off to somewhere else. If I was Spotify, I would pay for that show.

They are both great. Kermode is far and away my favourite film reviewer. I wonder if it will move to either Scala or Greatest Hits Radio as Mayo works for both of them.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Deltapoll breaks:

London
    Lab 48%
    Con 23%
    LD 12%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 33%
    LD 14%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 2%

Midlands
    Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 10%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 3%

North
    Lab 55%
    Con 30%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    PC 13%
    LD 7%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 2%

Scotland
    SNP 48%
    Lab 20%
    Con 17%
    LD 11%
    Grn 3%
    Ref -

The problem is that LAB is not good at taking Tory seats. The last LAB by-election gain from the Tories was in 2012
    Yes, but it is General Elections that is the question. In those there is a record of seats switching Red/Blue or vice versa.

If I were in a marginal like Loughborough, I would vote Labour, but in my seat of, it is less clear. Indeed with the new seat boundaries Oadby and Wigston could be an LD gain.

• Options
    Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Surely that depends on the evidence for each claim? If Harold Shipman had shouted at the prosecutor during his trial 'I say you killed them!' no-one would have said it was uncomfortable for the CPS that they were being accused of the same thing as he was.

Or for a more topical example, Russia claiming the Ukrainians are shelling their own people doesn't make it uncomfortable for Ukraine to say it is Russia doing it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited March 2022

They are both great. Kermode is far and away my favourite film reviewer. I wonder if it will move to either Scala or Greatest Hits Radio as Mayo works for both of them.
    Maybe. Although I imagine there is a bigger pay cheque available from one of the podcast content networks that have sprung up or direct from Spotify / Apple.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

It's the longstanding attempt to equate what might be petulant reactions to loss and spiteful comments about it from some quarters, to the launching of dozens of legally ludicrous challenges (as shown by their outcomes) and actual members of congress refusing to certify legitimate election results they didn't like. These reactions were not equivalent.
    Well, actually it is equivalent. And when you say her behaviour was “petulant” and “spiteful”, if it was a Republican in the same position saying and doing what she did, you’d claim it was a direct threat to democracy.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030

Maybe. Although I imagine there is a bigger pay cheque available from one of the podcast content networks that have sprung up or direct from Spotify / Apple.
    Well it looks like they are planning on resurrecting it somewhere so that is good news.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Foxy said:

Deltapoll breaks:

London
    Lab 48%
    Con 23%
    LD 12%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 33%
    LD 14%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 2%

Midlands
    Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 10%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 3%

North
    Lab 55%
    Con 30%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    PC 13%
    LD 7%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 2%

Scotland
    SNP 48%
    Lab 20%
    Con 17%
    LD 11%
    Grn 3%
    Ref -

There's a whole swathe of seats in the home counties where Labour stand no chance, but the LDs may. Just look at the last election results in South Oxfordshire - went from 33/36 Con (w/ 1 being Con aligned Indy, 1 LD, 1 Lab) to 13 LD, 6 Grn (via a local pact w/LDs), 3 Residents, 9 Con. The issue will be whether LDs have the funding to mount serious campaigns in all these seats.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,039
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

HK/China

"China’s “zero-tolerance” strategy to stamp out coronavirus appears to have failed catastrophically in Hong Kong, with the city now suffering the highest weekly death rates in the world.

"Thousands of people, mostly the elderly and the unvaccinated, have contracted the highly transmissible Omicron and Delta variants this month as new infections have risen to about 30,000 a day despite a drastic lockdown and border controls.

"Millions of people are also enduring lockdowns in mainland China as clusters of new cases of Covid-19 are reported. However, public health experts warned yesterday that the Beijing government’s long-standing policy of mass testing and strict isolation to quell any hint of an outbreak was “doomed to fail” against the Omicron strain."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hong-kong-health-system-failing-as-covid-death-rate-surges-9j85ztht7

Their overall vaccination rate was fairly high, but only 30% among elderly people. A catastrophic situation given the fact that Covid-19 hits the elderly much harder.
  • Options
    Go meet him

"Abu Tow: Meet the famed and feared Syrian rebel who wants to help the Ukrainians fight the Russians out"

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/features/meet-famed-and-feared-elite-syrian-rebel-fighter-abu-tow
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    kle4 said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

The difference is only of degree.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about the claims on each side since it doesn't achieve anything and there are endless sites on the web where we can argue politics endlessly. I come here to talk betting if possible.

Thought if you want to spend the rest of the night (and other nights) arguing about it I won't try and stop you.
    Not really. I actually agree with the bet but think it should be closer to Evans. Kemp will probably win the primary and will undoubtedly win the election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Saw him speak a few times and he did come across as impressive. I cannot be having a US Senator be younger than me though, that means I am approaching middle age.

My favourite fact about the recent trend of US elections is that Buttiegieg could run for President in 2056 and still be younger than Biden was, and Ossof could run in 2064 and still do it.

Incidentally, Biden was first elected to the Senate when he was only 29, but in the picture on the wiki page for it he still looks about 45.
    I'm having a similar issue with the French rugby team. I am basically a child yet most of them are younger than me, and they're about to win a grand slam.

That stat about how long Ossoff has to make a run makes me certain that he'll be a President one day.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Not really. I actually agree with the bet but think it should be closer to Evans. Kemp will probably win the primary and will undoubtedly win the election.
    Would that be Good Evans, or Evans To Goodness? ;)
  • Options

Go meet him

"Abu Tow: Meet the famed and feared Syrian rebel who wants to help the Ukrainians fight the Russians out"

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/features/meet-famed-and-feared-elite-syrian-rebel-fighter-abu-tow

Syrian rebels vs the Syrian army in Chernobyl will be quite a sight. The second order consequences of this will be huge. Do we think the thousands of battle hardened Georgian and Chechen rebels will go home peacefully when they only have a severely depleted Russia to fear?
  • Options
    BBC Russia reporting massive Russian fatalities of those who make it back to Belarus (which are only a small portion of those killed): https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1502428717141962754

"Earlier, Belarusian and #Ukrainian independent media reported that hospitals in southern #Belarus were allegedly overfilled with the bodies of the Russian soldiers. “The bodies are not even taken to a refrigerator, but to an ordinary room - 5x5 m2, they are stored there for a while, they rot, stink - then bodies are taken away somewhere. No one knows how many dead bodies there are, but everyone is horrified by what's happening. Doctors think that somewhere there is a mobile crematorium or they just bury them somewhere".
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Go meet him

Syrian rebels vs the Syrian army in Chernobyl will be quite a sight. The second order consequences of this will be huge. Do we think the thousands of battle hardened Georgian and Chechen rebels will go home peacefully when they only have a severely depleted Russia to fear?
    If we can't fight Putin, then I want people like this helping to kill him.

My values have been sort of kaleidoscoped in the last last fortnight.

I'm prepared to risk nuclear war and employ possible jihahdis to beat Putin.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,869

Well it looks like they are planning on resurrecting it somewhere so that is good news.
    Seriously hope so.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Quincel said:

MrEd said:

Would that be Good Evans, or Evans To Goodness? ;)
    Good Evans :)
  • Options
    This is interesting given they likely had some sort of authorisation ?

Just watched Russia’s main political talk show with notorious propagandist Soloviev (Mar 9). Couldn’t believe my ears. Two hardcore pro-Putin guests - Shaknazarov and Bagdasarov - acknowledged the impact of sanctions, military failures, and called for an end to the invasion.
    https://twitter.com/MaximAlyukov/status/1502337993012658177
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Just watched Russia’s main political talk show with notorious propagandist Soloviev (Mar 9). Couldn’t believe my ears. Two hardcore pro-Putin guests - Shaknazarov and Bagdasarov - acknowledged the impact of sanctions, military failures, and called for an end to the invasion.

The thread seems like it's laying the groundwork for a Russian climbdown. I suspect that we'll go back to the status quo ante bellum minus some of the Russian reserves being diverted to rebuilding Ukraine. Putin is realising how badly he miscalculated.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Nigelb said:

No doubt the Hunt For Scapegoats is commencing. Next up will be the show-trials.

Putin needs to have someone to blame all this on...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

The thread seems like it's laying the groundwork for a Russian climbdown. I suspect that we'll go back to the status quo ante bellum minus some of the Russian reserves being diverted to rebuilding Ukraine. Putin is realising how badly he miscalculated.
    There will be no going back to the status quo ante. The Russians have messed up too many things and their financial trust ratings will be about Z-

Aeroflot is one example. They are set to default on all their aircraft leases and it is unlikely that they will ever get aircraft leases again from the west. Any aircraft they have done maintenance on themselves are now unflyable outside of Russia. Basically Aeroflot is very likely a dead airline now, it just has not stopped twitching yet.

Russian industry will be in ruins for months, possibly years
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Well tonight I have laid Putin to still be President on 1st May 2022 with Smarkets. £7.92 risked to potentially win £99.

It feels a bit like placing Pascal's wager. I'm not expecting to win - but it would be great if I unexpectedly happened to collect. And tragically I could end up losing the bet without actually feeling the financial loss, if Putin escalates to the point where Smarkets don't get to settle the market (and we are all goners!).

But the likeliest outcome is that I lose the bet and most of us still survive. In this case there is no "Excluded Middle".
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, they don't appear to be calling for withdrawal, but for declaring victory by solidifying the grip on the Donbas, and settling for Ukrainian neutrality without further advances. Which is pretty much what most of us have been suggesting is the outline of a plausible settlement, and they could probably have got without a war, so it'd certainly count as a deserved disaster for Putin.

At the same time, though, the military do seem to be making some progress now, and the air strikes are reaching out further into the west. The Ukrainian successes have an anecdotal flavour, while they're losing ground a few km a day. It's hard to read.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,303
    edited March 2022

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, they don't appear to be calling for withdrawal, but for declaring victory by solidifying the grip on the Donbas, and settling for Ukrainian neutrality without further advances. Which is pretty much what most of us have been suggesting is the outline of a plausible settlement, and they could probably have got without a war, so it'd certainly count as a deserved disaster for Putin.

At the same time, though, the military do seem to be making some progress now, and the air strikes are reaching out further into the west. The Ukrainian successes have an anecdotal flavour, while they're losing ground a few km a day. It's hard to read.
    How can Ukraine be neutral until, at least, Putin is dead?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,721
    Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Russia could go back to the status quo.
    I don't think Putin can. His days are numbered if he did.

If Russia was to climb down now, I can't see anyone viewing the country as a joke for the next two decades. The already slow decline of population would only increase.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,677
    OT (sort of) personally think that the late John Lewis & Stacey Abrams both erred (he in 2016, she in 2018) in stating election results (he in 2016, she in 2018) to be illegitimate. Better to take your lumps, register you skepticism - "I've got my doubts - and move on.

That said, neither Lewis or Stacey called for altering the outcome after the fact via nullifying the results, overthrowing popular votes, substituting legislative fiat and, when that didn't work, promoting a violent invasion of the United States Capitol.

Which IS to THEIR credit, don't you think? Betya Mike Pence does.
  • Options
    OFF TOPIC - Want to declare publicly that my credentials as armchair strategist have been revoked, seeing a how I was convinced POTUS would green light Polish fighter trade to help Ukraine.

And I was totally wrong, it appears.

Which is NOT same as saying I've lost faith in Biden. For one thing, he knows better than me (low bar!) the real facts, considerations, etc. involved, on global stage and inside the (dreaded) Beltway.

For another, think Ukrainians, Europe, the West and ultimately the World need for him to succeed in helping Zelensky & Ukrainians AND actually containing (if not eliminating) Putin & his truly Evil Empire.

But, again, was wrong on the fighters, thus my legendary infallibility has been punctured . . . yet again . . .
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,459

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Thread linked to earlier reckons that the Russians are currently out to grab as much land as possible before seeking to establish a ceasefire to consolidate their gains. I would have thought that they would want to take Mariupol before reaching that point.

If Ukraine agrees to a simple ceasefire at that point they will find it incredibly difficult to recover from the war. Many of their eastern cities will be isolated. Much of the country's electricity generation capacity will be in Russian hands. There would be the constant threat of the ceasefire collapsing. Many of the nation's citizens would be left at the mercy of the Russian police in places like Kherson or Melitopol.

But if the Ukrainians do not agree to a ceasefire at that point, then the Russians continue to pulverise Kharkiv and can threaten to do to Chernihiv what is being done to Mariupol.
  • Options
    With respect to Peach State politics in 2022, am thinking the truly decisive question will be, to what extent will suburban voters who prior to 2020 were mostly voting Republican but who reacted against Trump by switching to the Democrats, will swing back to the GOP?

Covid controversies, economic concerns, cultural & ethnic conflicts, political gridlock and resulting Biden slump, have fed Republican hopes and Democratic fears, that Dem > Rep swing will be substantial enough to reverse victories posted in GA by President Biden in Nov 2020 and Senators Ossoff and Warnock in Jan 2021.

But two things stand in the way of this scenario:

> Across USA, major Republican primary battles ongoing & developing between candidates vying for 45's favor, and those who are aligning with McConnell or trying to play GOP version of dodge ball; which is seriously impeding GOP in forming united front to focus on capitalizing their current (and historic) mid-term advantage and beating the Democrats in the fall.

> In GA the GOP has NOT been polling as well as in most other states via Democratic incumbents, with Biden/Dem slump seemingly having less impact, though these polls were prior to Putin's invasion AND resultant surge in gasoline prices & etc.

So hope is still alive for Raphael Warnock and the Democrats in midst (or mist?) of that rainy night in Georgia . . .
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Thread linked to earlier reckons that the Russians are currently out to grab as much land as possible before seeking to establish a ceasefire to consolidate their gains. I would have thought that they would want to take Mariupol before reaching that point.

If Ukraine agrees to a simple ceasefire at that point they will find it incredibly difficult to recover from the war. Many of their eastern cities will be isolated. Much of the country's electricity generation capacity will be in Russian hands. There would be the constant threat of the ceasefire collapsing. Many of the nation's citizens would be left at the mercy of the Russian police in places like Kherson or Melitopol.

But if the Ukrainians do not agree to a ceasefire at that point, then the Russians continue to pulverise Kharkiv and can threaten to do to Chernihiv what is being done to Mariupol.
    A ceasefire doesn't mean an end to sanctions though.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,648
    Newspaper round up.
    No war on front of Mail or Sun. And not really the star either. Guardian has Macron lambasting the Uk. Camilla Tominey on front telegraph has “Ukraine crisis has humiliated the EU”. Telegraph also have something my Pastor said to me today, the war likely lead to starvation in Africa. 😢

The Star has India firing a missile at Pakistan in error. It gets darker still, on front of FT “My husband is not replying to my messages, my hands shake.” The i “Putin closes in on Kyiv - in the city’s outskirts Russians are targetting people who come out for food leaving the streets littered with bodies” ☹️

The times has a lovely girl kitted out and ready, smiling in a trench. I’ve checked out all her kit. I have idea to turn that amazing picture into a painting - either serious one, or set it in a propaganda piece like a robert mcginnis movie poster “Putin, my part in his downfall”. Telegraph has “Biden vetoed Mig deal personally” but there is enough opposition to force him into a climb down. 40 republicans senators have signed a joint letter insisting on reversal, and the move has more than enough support from Democrats too. So, I might be the first poster to bring news that deal is on again, this bit of help Ukraine needs might well be coming soon. Leaving this round up on a much needed positive 🙂
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

There’s a more disturbing explanation, which seems less likely, but not impossible ?

https://twitter.com/RealDaveLively/status/1502351599469056005
    This is just the setup. Once the false flag op goes off, these two will "reluctantly" support a life and death struggle vs Ukraine and their western masters. They're just here to mimic existing critiques and then shepherd those critics over.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,648
    Nigelb said:

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

There’s a more disturbing explanation, which seems less likely, but not impossible ?

https://twitter.com/RealDaveLively/status/1502351599469056005
    This is just the setup. Once the false flag op goes off, these two will "reluctantly" support a life and death struggle vs Ukraine and their western masters. They're just here to mimic existing critiques and then shepherd those critics over.
    This crisis is so dark tonight ☹️
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,122
    Chameleon said:

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

I read an ?American? analysis earlier that stated that the Russia had lost 10% of its troops, so the tweet is in the same ballpark as that. Sadly, it also said that Ukraine had lost 10% as well: from a lower starting point.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    An excellent thread header as always, thanks Pip.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/11/shouldnt-someone-in-football-also-care-about-the-war-in-yemen-just-a-little

This is not whataboutery. It is literally the same thing. Football owner + bloody war = undesirable. This is genuine equivalence. An estimated 10,000 children have been killed or maimed in Yemen. Shouldn’t someone in football also care about it just a little? Alan? Are there, like, any more videos?

Whilst I'm not sure it's sensible to be overly critical of Roman Abramovich, and the situation in Yemen is terrible, there is no equivalence with what's happening in Ukraine.
  • Options
    "Kamala Harris has been criticised for giggling when asked if the US should take more Ukrainian refugees. The vice-president, who is on a three-day trip to Poland and Romania, laughed when asked the question at a press conference in Warsaw alongside Andrzej Duda, the president of Poland. She looked at Mr Duda as if he should respond first, then smirked: “A friend in need is a friend indeed.” Victoria Spartz, a Ukrainian-born Republican politician, criticised Ms Harris, saying it was “a very serious situation requiring action” and is “not a laughing matter”. George Papadopoulos, Donald Trump’s former campaign aide, added: “Discussing refugees is no laughing matter. Why she laughs at this is deranged.” Ms Harris has previously been criticised for laughing at odd moments during press conferences on serious issues."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/11/watch-kamala-harris-laughs-press-conference-ukrainian-refugees/
  • Options

tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/11/shouldnt-someone-in-football-also-care-about-the-war-in-yemen-just-a-little

This is not whataboutery. It is literally the same thing. Football owner + bloody war = undesirable. This is genuine equivalence. An estimated 10,000 children have been killed or maimed in Yemen. Shouldn’t someone in football also care about it just a little? Alan? Are there, like, any more videos?

Whilst I'm not sure it's sensible to be overly critical of Roman Abramovich, and the situation in Yemen is terrible, there is no equivalence with what's happening in Ukraine.

Football is a corrupt sport, from top to bottom. This has been known for decades, and has got worse as millions, then hundreds of millions, and finally billions, swept into the sport.

Football doesn't care as long as the money keeps rolling in. The politicians don't care as football is popular, and success makes people feel good.

If you were to get rid of the corruption in football, you would also get rid of a lot of the money. And too many people are making money in football.
    By corruption, do you mean match fixing?

I'm not sure many people make money from football. Ironically, I reckon Abramovich might be an exception (leaving aside the fact he isn't going to recognize that profit), but he is very much the exception to the rule.

I wouldn't have a problem with the league being much more cautious about who owns our clubs, but I think people like Ronay try to use football to equivocate between Russia and Saudi Arabia, and that's clearly bollocks.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

A lot of 30 year olds looked like that in the early 70s. John Cleese is another example.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,422
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,122
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Football is a corrupt sport, from top to bottom. This has been known for decades, and has got worse as millions, then hundreds of millions, and finally billions, swept into the sport.

Football doesn't care as long as the money keeps rolling in. The politicians don't care as football is popular, and success makes people feel good.

If you were to get rid of the corruption in football, you would also get rid of a lot of the money. And too many people are making money in football.

I'm not sure many people make money from football. Ironically, I reckon Abramovich might be an exception (leaving aside the fact he isn't going to recognize that profit), but he is very much the exception to the rule.

I wouldn't have a problem with the league being much more cautious about who owns our clubs, but I think people like Ronay try to use football to equivocate between Russia and Saudi Arabia, and that's clearly bollocks.
    Not so much match fixing, in most cases.

The money flushes through all parts of the system. Agents' deals are just one example. Far too many deals in football at all levels are opaque - and that lack of clarity is perfect for corruption.

I have a general starting position: any deal where large sums are involved, and where the deal is opaque, is open to corruption - unless there are rigorous external reviews of it.

(Years ago, there was a debate on R5L about corruption in football. On it, they had an ex-footballer, now a commentator, a football agent, and a manager. Naturally, they all denied there was any corruption at all.)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Not so much match fixing, in most cases.

The money flushes through all parts of the system. Agents' deals are just one example. Far too many deals in football at all levels are opaque - and that lack of clarity is perfect for corruption.

I have a general starting position: any deal where large sums are involved, and where the deal is opaque, is open to corruption - unless there are rigorous external reviews of it.

(Years ago, there was a debate on R5L about corruption in football. On it, they had an ex-footballer, now a commentator, a football agent, and a manager. Naturally, they all denied there was any corruption at all.)
    Most of the money washing around in football is legitimate. That's what makes it so attractive to people looking to launder illegitimate money.

As for agents, sadly that's the way it's going to be. The top footballers possess a very rare talent. There's only one Erling Braut Haaland and he's decided that Mino Raiola is the man who will negotiate the best deal for him.

I read the Football Leaks book and it's perhaps not a surprise that many footballers try to dodge tax, but I'm not sure that's unusual for people with a lot of money.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Nick has sadly been all over the place on this topic.

To make my own views clear: Putin's Russia are the aggressor in this. It is rare to get a war where the good vs bad ratio is so clearly marked - and it is marked against Nick's old friends.

Any deal must - at the very least - leave a defended and viable Ukrainian state that can rebuild without a significant threat from its eastern neighbour. Anything else just leave Ukraine and the world open to Round 2 in a few years.
    Nick's posts on this subject are a good example of why we don't trust the Left in government on foreign affairs.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    Heathener said:
    Hunt is positioning himself as heir apparent as Sunak's obstinacy leads to an inevitable crash in popularity over the coming months.

Conveniently this statement just piles further pressure on him.
  • Options
    "David Cameron’s naivety left Putin free to act as he pleased
    The former prime minister assumed that he could separate Putin’s acts of aggression in eastern Europe from Russia and the UK’s shared interests.
    By Freddie Hayward"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2022/03/how-far-is-david-cameron-to-blame-for-putins-aggression
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Deltapoll breaks:

London
    Lab 48%
    Con 23%
    LD 12%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 33%
    LD 14%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 2%

Midlands
    Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 10%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 3%

North
    Lab 55%
    Con 30%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    PC 13%
    LD 7%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 2%

Scotland
    SNP 48%
    Lab 20%
    Con 17%
    LD 11%
    Grn 3%
    Ref -

I think you’re right. The North of England has been truly atrocious for the Tories for too long, and too deep, now. But it is the English Midlands that interest me. And here it’s still very tight, across all pollsters.

YouGov are the only one I really put much faith in when it comes to geographical breaks, and their most recent findings are even worse than that Deltapoll for Northern Tory MPs:

London
    Lab 55%
    Con 26%
    LD 11%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 1%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 13%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 35%
    Grn 7%
    LD 7%
    Ref 6%
    PC 3%

North
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 9%
    LD 7%
    Ref 3%

Scotland
    SNP 44%
    Con 22%
    Lab 21%
    Grn 6%
    LD 5%
    Ref 1%

(YG; Sample Size: 1,700; Fieldwork: 8- 9 March 2022)
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,802

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Nick has sadly been all over the place on this topic.

To make my own views clear: Putin's Russia are the aggressor in this. It is rare to get a war where the good vs bad ratio is so clearly marked - and it is marked against Nick's old friends.

Any deal must - at the very least - leave a defended and viable Ukrainian state that can rebuild without a significant threat from its eastern neighbour. Anything else just leave Ukraine and the world open to Round 2 in a few years.
    Agreed, but I think Nick has come up with some good points. It is quite difficult to go against the majority opinion on a topic like this.

I think the error is to believe that there can be any meaningful 'deal' with Putin's regime. Their words mean nothing, and any 'assurances' they give should be disregarded as meaningless. No agreement with them is worth the paper it is written on.

It is a bit like trying to reason with an angry child, they only respond to actions. The sanctions have clearly had an effect, this time around. Looks like there has also been quite a bit of damage to their military capabilities, thanks to Ukraine.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"David Cameron’s naivety left Putin free to act as he pleased
    The former prime minister assumed that he could separate Putin’s acts of aggression in eastern Europe from Russia and the UK’s shared interests.
    By Freddie Hayward"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2022/03/how-far-is-david-cameron-to-blame-for-putins-aggression

This article by John Gray for me stands out as the best ever assessment of David Cameron. His dealings with Russia are consistent with this.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/04/david-cameron-and-great-sell-out

Edit- this bit of the article was particularly prophetic
    "Russia, increasingly a Eurasian regional power operating under Chinese leadership, is making menacing moves towards Ukraine. But how Vladimir Putin’s shaky popularity in Russia would be affected by a hotter war there cannot be known."
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

Deltapoll breaks:

London
    Lab 48%
    Con 23%
    LD 12%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 33%
    LD 14%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 2%

Midlands
    Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 10%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 3%

North
    Lab 55%
    Con 30%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    PC 13%
    LD 7%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 2%

Scotland
    SNP 48%
    Lab 20%
    Con 17%
    LD 11%
    Grn 3%
    Ref -

That is one of the fun things in Scottish politics at the moment: it is far from clear which is the principal Unionist party. They are pretty much neck and neck.

It doesn’t really matter much for the May elections, but if one or the other of the main Unionist parties gets a clear lead it will heavily affect media coverage. This is a dangerous period for the Scottish Tories. Douglas Ross has made a total arse of himself and they are in serious danger of sinking back down to their core vote, approx 15-18%. That’ll be cemented if Sarwar’s party have a good 2022.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Kamala Harris has been criticised for giggling when asked if the US should take more Ukrainian refugees. The vice-president, who is on a three-day trip to Poland and Romania, laughed when asked the question at a press conference in Warsaw alongside Andrzej Duda, the president of Poland. She looked at Mr Duda as if he should respond first, then smirked: “A friend in need is a friend indeed.” Victoria Spartz, a Ukrainian-born Republican politician, criticised Ms Harris, saying it was “a very serious situation requiring action” and is “not a laughing matter”. George Papadopoulos, Donald Trump’s former campaign aide, added: “Discussing refugees is no laughing matter. Why she laughs at this is deranged.” Ms Harris has previously been criticised for laughing at odd moments during press conferences on serious issues."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/11/watch-kamala-harris-laughs-press-conference-ukrainian-refugees/

It is, I think, a nervous laugh. - I don’t blame her for it. It certainly isn’t ‘deranged’. The optics are utterly awful, though.

I really don’t think she’s good enough a leader to be the Democrat’s presidential candidate, and gives them a real problem whether or not Biden runs again.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Remember in MrEd's world impeaching Donald Trump for threatening to illegally withhold military aid to Ukraine is directly equivalent to launching an armed coup attempt.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

It is, I think, a nervous laugh. - I don’t blame her for it. It certainly isn’t ‘deranged’. The optics are utterly awful, though.

I really don’t think she’s good enough a leader to be the Democrat’s presidential candidate, and gives them a real problem whether or not Biden runs again.
    Priti Patel has a similar issue with her grin.
    I think however the conclusion was that it is unfair to criticise it, because it is 'the natural position of her face'.
    It is known as the 'resting smirk'.
    vogue.co.uk/news/article/priti-patel
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    darkage said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

I think however the conclusion was that it is unfair to criticise it, because it is 'the natural position of her face'.
    at my old workplace one of the awards at the staff christmas part was for the best "resting bitch face" - sort of the opposite I suppose
  • Options
    Some context for the suggestion that Israel is currently a useful mediator in the war.
    (I’d also note that they supply drone tech to Russia which they refuse, along with any other weapons, to Ukraine.)

Bennett advises Zelensky to surrender to Russia, Zelensky refuses
    https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-701041

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,514
    darkage said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Not really the issue in this instance, though. If you watch the clip, neither of them wanted to go first and this produces some misplaced jollity. With better judgement she should have realised the topic was too serious for it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Some context for the suggestion that Israel is currently a useful mediator in the war.
    (I’d also note that they supply drone tech to Russia which they refuse, along with any other weapons, to Ukraine.)

I wonder how the US government feels about this? Am I being too cynical in thinking that the America might be encouraging the Israelis?
  • Options
    Sweden planning to cater for over 210,000 Ukrainian refugees by the summer.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    IanB2 said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Not really the issue in this instance, though. If you watch the clip, neither of them wanted to go first and this produces some misplaced jollity. With better judgement she should have realised the topic was too serious for it.
    yes , if you substitute some woke issue like transgender rights , I doubt she would have done it in the same fashion in the same circumstances (ie a slightly awkward question and slight confusion as to who to answer it ).
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Foxy said:

Deltapoll breaks:

London
    Lab 48%
    Con 23%
    LD 12%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Rest of South
    Con 43%
    Lab 33%
    LD 14%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 2%

Midlands
    Con 42%
    Lab 39%
    LD 10%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 3%

North
    Lab 55%
    Con 30%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Wales
    Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    PC 13%
    LD 7%
    Gen 5%
    Ref 2%

Scotland
    SNP 48%
    Lab 20%
    Con 17%
    LD 11%
    Grn 3%
    Ref -

There's a whole swathe of seats in the home counties where Labour stand no chance, but the LDs may. Just look at the last election results in South Oxfordshire - went from 33/36 Con (w/ 1 being Con aligned Indy, 1 LD, 1 Lab) to 13 LD, 6 Grn (via a local pact w/LDs), 3 Residents, 9 Con. The issue will be whether LDs have the funding to mount serious campaigns in all these seats.
    Or the membership numbers.

Vast swathes of Scotland are deserts for the Lib Dems. I’m assuming that their membership numbers must be very patchy in England too.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,795
    Scientists in the UK have identified some genetic factors that make certain people suffer severe symptoms from COVID-19 than others, a finding that could help develop more effective treatments for the viral disease.

The team led by researchers from the University of Edinburgh in the UK in partnership with Genomics England sequenced the genomes of 7,491 patients from 224 intensive care units in the UK.

Their DNA was compared with 48,400 other people who had not had COVID-19, and that of a further 1,630 people who had experienced mild disease.

https://wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/current-affairs/uk-scientists-identify-genetic-factors-behind-severe-covid-symptoms-122030800813_1.html
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

This guy publishes quite a good situation map each day. Quite good level of detail too, down to individual units being identified:

https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1502528320369569792?t=XP86wd7Kfc4BIfH2ViMhYg&s=19

In summary it looks as if the Russian encirclement of Kyiv has stalled, and even been reversed in places, with significant Ukranian counterattacks to the east of the city. The Russians don't seem to have made progress on other bits of the northern front.

On the Southern front there are seems more Russian gains on the Donbas area, and an attempt to consolidate south of the Dneiper, with Mariopol being besieged rather than assaulted. The attack from land and sea on Odesa still hasn't materialised. Clearly logistics remain a major problem everywhere. Food is running out in Kherson for civilians as well as occupation troops.

I think the Russian war aims have been reduced to expanding in the Donbas and controlling the Kherson Oblast and Azov Coast. That is something they could paint as victory, but a ceasefire on that basis is not likely to be acceptable to Ukraine.
  • Options
    Ukraine's General Staff said that at least six Russian Tu-95MS strategic bombers launched at least ten cruise missiles (presumably Kh-101) that struck Lutsk, Dnipro, and Ivano-Frankivsk.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1502455753776504837

Used in Syria; warhead nearly half a tonne.
    The engines for these were manufactured in Ukraine.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,085
    Good morning everybody. Am I to understand we are slightly more optimistic vis a vis Ukraine?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder how the US government feels about this? Am I being too cynical in thinking that the America might be encouraging the Israelis?
    Probably; if Biden really felt that way, he wouldn’t have supplied so much materiel. The US just voted through Biden’s package of around $13bn of aid to Ukraine.
    The Netanyahu government got quite cosy with Putin for years, and I doubt the current U.S. administration is particularly happy about that.
    The previous one, of course….
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

This guy publishes quite a good situation map each day. Quite good level of detail too, down to individual units being identified:

https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1502528320369569792?t=XP86wd7Kfc4BIfH2ViMhYg&s=19

In summary it looks as if the Russian encirclement of Kyiv has stalled, and even been reversed in places, with significant Ukranian counterattacks to the east of the city. The Russians don't seem to have made progress on other bits of the northern front.

On the Southern front there are seems more Russian gains on the Donbas area, and an attempt to consolidate south of the Dneiper, with Mariopol being besieged rather than assaulted. The attack from land and sea on Odesa still hasn't materialised. Clearly logistics remain a major problem everywhere. Food is running out in Kherson for civilians as well as occupation troops.

I think the Russian war aims have been reduced to expanding in the Donbas and controlling the Kherson Oblast and Azov Coast. That is something they could paint as victory, but a ceasefire on that basis is not likely to be acceptable to Ukraine.
    I’m not sure where Nick is getting his view from that the Russians are slowly winning this. You highlighted the piece from Jomini whose analysis is that the Russians are not really getting anywhere and that seems to be backed up by most other views. Russian equipment losses are running at over 3x Ukrainian according to Oryx.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Good morning everybody. Am I to understand we are slightly more optimistic vis a vis Ukraine?

No, I think it still hangs in the balance.
    The Russians are being comprehensively outfought, but their large advantage in numbers, and particularly in heavy weapons and aircraft, are telling in the south, where they have much easier supply lines - and Ukraine doesn’t.

I don’t know what a Russian ‘win’ would look like (if even possible), but an occupied Black Sea coast along with the east of the country would not be a win for Ukraine in any way.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,108
    Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

That doesn’t work.

He fails in an invasion. He doesn’t get to rebuild and try again. He must be seen to lose something.
This discussion has been closed.