Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson has 15% lead over Sunak amongst CON voters as “best PM” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    edited February 2022
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

My bit on Cressida Dick; whether it remotely matters if a prime minister breaks the law; and the general Absolute State of Things https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/11/farewell-cressida-dick-the-met-chief-only-interested-in-one-thing-ignoring-bad-coppers

She nicked the idea - Cressida moaning about fictional TV portrayals of the police - from PB. I wrote that as long ago as last June.

Not the first time PB headers get "borrowed" from by paid journalists.They could at least credit PB, OGH and his wonderful header writers. (Or share their fee .....?)

Humph ....😡
    Influencing journalists used to be the point of pb. Around 2010 I used to wonder if I was the only PBer who was not a CCHQ-sponsored astroturfer, especially on Wednesday lunchtimes when pb would be full of messages about David Cameron's triumph at PMQs, even when it was clear he'd been KO'd by the clunking great fist. :smile:
    Talking of GCHQ-sponsored astroturfers what on earth has happened to Philip [Redacted]? The story so far.....

from being the most prolific poster since records began his output dried up. This coincided with Partygate.

He then returned in the guise of Bartholomew Roberts (wasn't that Thatcher's maiden name?) but with a much reduced output.

Either he REALLY was a GCHQ-sponsored astroturfer who was cleared out with the bathwater of Partygate or a genuine crazy propagandist who couldn't face seeing the man he considered the greatest Prime Minister since Churchill being revealed as a buffoon.
    We're not supposed to dox people, even if everyone knows who they are, like BR or Leon. BR (a pirate?) was not a Boris man iirc. Whatever happened, prices up, prices down, plague of frogs, he said it was OK because "the market" would fix it. Boris is, or claims to be, rather more of an interventionist.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    nico679 said:

Russia won’t be invading whilst the Olympics are on as that would piss off China so I’d be dubious of that report .

Russian invaded Georgia in 2008 during the Beijing Olympics.
  • Options
    JUST IN:
    #NATO ambassadors have convened a highly unusual Friday night meeting to discuss increased concerns about Russian military planning.

https://twitter.com/terischultz/status/1492205302376247301?s=20&t=FySfs6wcGBvUmoKIGHqymw
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    edited February 2022
    For Christ's sake it's like these people want the bloody place to burn down.

Parliament restoration: Back to square one?
    The multi billion-pound cost estimates keep ratcheting up and the time the work is expected to take is getting ever longer, and it now looks as if those in charge in the House of Commons are about to pull the plug on the scheme to renovate Parliament's crumbling Victorian home...

So the two key figures in running the Commons want a rethink, but the Sponsor Body set up in 2019 under the Parliamentary Buildings Act has several times warned that restoration will cost more and take longer if the Parliamentarians insist on staying put in the Victorian part of the building - and now the House of Commons Commission, the administrative body of the Commons, which is chaired by the Speaker, wants the Sponsor Body scrappe

It's a world heritage site - even if they move parliament itself somewhere else it's going to cost a lot of money to maintain, and it's always going to be unpopular to do so.

And it is only going to cost more the longer they refuse to do anything about it. 3 years since they finally 'decided' and it seems like they're just going backwards.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    I'd have thought a Russian invasion would focus mainly on the east. Much easier to hold medium and long term
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    kle4 said:

The multi billion-pound cost estimates keep ratcheting up and the time the work is expected to take is getting ever longer, and it now looks as if those in charge in the House of Commons are about to pull the plug on the scheme to renovate Parliament's crumbling Victorian home...

So the two key figures in running the Commons want a rethink, but the Sponsor Body set up in 2019 under the Parliamentary Buildings Act has several times warned that restoration will cost more and take longer if the Parliamentarians insist on staying put in the Victorian part of the building - and now the House of Commons Commission, the administrative body of the Commons, which is chaired by the Speaker, wants the Sponsor Body scrappe

It's a world heritage site - even if they move parliament itself somewhere else it's going to cost a lot of money to maintain, and it's always going to be unpopular to do so.

And it is only going to cost more the longer they refuse to do anything about it.

I think we should consider both the possibility and the probability that these people are just stupid.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Pulpstar said:

Could have sworn I read that a Russian invasion wouldn't happen a few days ago...

That plausible Twitter expert said the invasion would begin between 10-20 Feb
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Could have sworn I read that a Russian invasion wouldn't happen a few days ago...

That plausible Twitter expert said the invasion would begin between 10-20 Feb
    When do the Olympics end? The 17th?

Not much margin for error if that's what they are waiting for.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    What is the delay between a decision being made and a full scale ground assault commencing?

A day? A week? I presume the US has a source in the Kremlin who can give that warning.

I imagine it is very hard to curtail the momentum. See all the accounts of the Falklands once the flotilla was at sea.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Russia won’t be invading whilst the Olympics are on as that would piss off China so I’d be dubious of that report .

Russian invaded Georgia in 2008 during the Beijing Olympics.
    I remember that, was on holiday on the other side of the Black sea in Varna at the time.
  • Options

Somewhat off topic - Map of "regional patterns in deaths from alcohol and drugs in Great Britain by local authority"

https://i.redd.it/c04d72voa8h81.jpg

Would be interested in comments from learned (or otherwise) PBers?

Having grown up in Scotland and the NE of England, those big splashes of dark purple aren't surprising at all, sadly.
    The London patterns are interesting - N Londoners die of drugs, S Londoners of booze, it seems.
    An interesting map, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    What does the west do here? Just watch as Russia invades?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

What is the delay between a decision being made and a full scale ground assault commencing?

A day? A week? I presume the US has a source in the Kremlin who can give that warning.

I imagine it is very hard to curtail the momentum. See all the accounts of the Falklands once the flotilla was at sea.

My guess from the social media noise is that they now think invasion is a near-certainty. Just a question of scale and target?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    kle4 said:

And it is only going to cost more the longer they refuse to do anything about it. 3 years since they finally 'decided' and it seems like they're just going backwards.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did want it to burn, actually. I can just imagine the fire brigade being directed to rescue Big Ben, and possibly Westminster Hall as well, and allowing the fire to destroy the rest of the building so they can start again. Nice modern building with purpose built facilities, and would probably still cost less than a painstaking restoration of the crumbling old edifice.
  • Options

Yes. And freeze all Russian assets within western control. We aren't going to war with Russia and Putin knows that. But we can fuck over his oligarch patrons. May be enough to make him Stop and Think.

So after a period of threats he is now allegedly on the brink. Applying the most pressure to NATO. Great time to ask for what you want to not invade, is it not?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,218
    kle4 said:

Didn't they fanny about for ages because they wanted Big Ben to go bong or whatever when we pretended we left the EU?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893

Somewhat off topic - Map of "regional patterns in deaths from alcohol and drugs in Great Britain by local authority"

Having grown up in Scotland and the NE of England, those big splashes of dark purple aren't surprising at all, sadly.
    The London patterns are interesting - N Londoners die of drugs, S Londoners of booze, it seems.
    Hard to get drugs over to the Hebrides/Orkney apparently. Tiny market not worth the risk.

Isle of Wight is weird. Pensioners overdosing on prescription drugs?
  • Options
    “Official from a NATO ally tells me Pres Biden told them today the US does believe Vladimir Putin has decided to attack Ukraine. Next week.”

https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1492218267099975684?s=21
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Essentially yes. I mean, there will obviously have to be sanctions, a mad scramble by the Americans to send Europe as many shiploads of LNG as possible, and a tragic accident will have to befall the Nordstream 2 pipeline project. But any species of military intervention would be unthinkable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

If I may be allowed a paternal boast. Gratz to older daughter who got almost straight 9s in her mock GCSEs, from English to geography to science

I have no idea what that means - 9?! - but apparently it’s A star.

Super bright. Well done lass

An 8 is an A*. A 9 is an extra grade above that designed to distinguish the very brightest.

Awarding it however is rather more complex than 'this would be a 9 as it was a 9 last year.' I tend not to give out marks above an 8 in mocks, as a result.

Video here explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RVOydPszQ

Bear in mind for many subjects this will only be the second year of using these grades - only in Maths and English did we get three series of exams before Covid hit.

But it's an impressive achievement. Congratulations to her.
    She is exceptionally bright. She was reading complex Julian Barnes novels aged 12-13

What particularly delights me is that she got 8 in maths and 9 in science. We always knew she was highly articulate and literate, but it’s very gratifying to see she can do it on the other side of the brain

Just mocks, of course, so who knows. But nice. V nice
    Congratulations. It's nice having a bright kid. My eldest daughter has her GCSEs this year, too. She had an interview at a sixth form college today. Seems like yesterday she was heading to school for the first time!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited February 2022

Beyond moving troops to the Baltic States and Poland and imposing economic sanctions, pretty much.

The alternative is WW3.

If Putin has coordinated it with Xi, Taiwan too could be invaded shortly
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149

That Russian news puts party gate into perspective.

OK - I think we’re about to enter into a really hostile, unprecedented period since ww2. No idea how it will pan out.

I don't think Putin would go for it without the tacit support of China, so this could be the start of a bid to completely reorder the global system.
    Even more worrying. China readying for a go at Taiwan while Putin runs a decoy operation in Ukraine. Putin is a judoka, but this could be tag wrestling.

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    "Next week", of course, starts in 26.5 hours.
  • Options
    “I’m sure you guys have noticed I’ve been talking about Ukraine a lot lately. Now that the story is out in the open, I can confirm:

As of right now, the US expects the invasion to begin as early as next week, starting with electronic warfare and heavy bombardment. 1/2

This is going to get really, really ugly. Russia’s electronic warfare (EW) capability is top-notch, and they have plenty of fighters, bombers, and multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) prepositioned to saturate the area in advance of the ground element. 2/2

https://twitter.com/angry_staffer/status/1492209680017408012?s=21
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Hard to get drugs over to the Hebrides/Orkney apparently. Tiny market not worth the risk.

Isle of Wight is weird. Pensioners overdosing on prescription drugs?
    I assumed it was people who went for the festival and spent the rest of their lives there off their face. Also, isn't it spectacularly boring? Might encourage drug taking. A lot of it looks like "deaths of despair" in places people might be despairing.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,777
    This seems to be a case of presuming Putin will invade . Because he’s amassed so many troops but not credible intelligence that it’s definitely going to happen . Isn’t there a danger here that the west is talking this up too much .
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807

JUST IN:
    #NATO ambassadors have convened a highly unusual Friday night meeting to discuss increased concerns about Russian military planning.

https://twitter.com/terischultz/status/1492205302376247301?s=20&t=FySfs6wcGBvUmoKIGHqymw

Highly unusual Friday night meeting. Was that the only way they could get Boris to attend?
  • Options
    Unless an awful lot of clever people are humongously deluded, Russia is likely going to invade Ukraine, next week
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

US BELIEVES PUTIN HAS DECIDED TO INVADE UKRAINE, EXPECT INVASION TO BEGIN NEXT WEEK - NBC

Well that ensures no challenge to Boris likely until May.

Economic sanctions on Russia will follow and further military reinforcements sent by NATO to Poland and the Baltic States
    A full scale Russian invasion throws EVERYTHING into confusion, abeyance and mayhem. Not least my planned trip to Odessa in March. Oh well
    Perhaps you could go to Odessa as War Correspondent, with helmet and flak jacket?
    Balaclava, and cardigan with raglan sleeves. That war was highly productive in terms of shit fashion items.
  • Options

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

My bit on Cressida Dick; whether it remotely matters if a prime minister breaks the law; and the general Absolute State of Things https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/11/farewell-cressida-dick-the-met-chief-only-interested-in-one-thing-ignoring-bad-coppers

She nicked the idea - Cressida moaning about fictional TV portrayals of the police - from PB. I wrote that as long ago as last June.

Not the first time PB headers get "borrowed" from by paid journalists.They could at least credit PB, OGH and his wonderful header writers. (Or share their fee .....?)

Humph ....😡
    Influencing journalists used to be the point of pb. Around 2010 I used to wonder if I was the only PBer who was not a CCHQ-sponsored astroturfer, especially on Wednesday lunchtimes when pb would be full of messages about David Cameron's triumph at PMQs, even when it was clear he'd been KO'd by the clunking great fist. :smile:
    Talking of GCHQ-sponsored astroturfers what on earth has happened to Philip [Redacted]? The story so far.....

from being the most prolific poster since records began his output dried up. This coincided with Partygate.

He then returned in the guise of Bartholomew Roberts (wasn't that Thatcher's maiden name?) but with a much reduced output.

Either he REALLY was a GCHQ-sponsored astroturfer who was cleared out with the bathwater of Partygate or a genuine crazy propagandist who couldn't face seeing the man he considered the greatest Prime Minister since Churchill being revealed as a buffoon.
    We're not supposed to dox people, even if everyone knows who they are, like BR or Leon. BR (a pirate?) was not a Boris man iirc. Whatever happened, prices up, prices down, plague of frogs, he said it was OK because "the market" would fix it. Boris is, or claims to be, rather more of an interventionist.
    Perhaps he's just busy these days - the business he runs being crippled by Brexit red tape and efficiency problems due to the lack of cheap immigrant labour.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    nico679 said:

This seems to be a case of presuming Putin will invade . Because he’s amassed so many troops but not credible intelligence that it’s definitely going to happen . Isn’t there a danger here that the west is talking this up too much .

I don't follow what 'danger' you are referring to in that way.

He has as you say amassed a great deal of troops in the region, with a clear threat of invasion. How is responding to that threat as potentially real a 'danger'? Wouldn't it be absolutely stupid to not being prepared just in case it is real?

Unless someone believes the will be more inclined to invade if people talk up the possibility, which is insane, I don't see how there is any danger in looking at invasion as possible, and preparing to respond in whatever way is considered appropriate.

What I am 100% sure of is that if he doesn't invade a lot of people are going to condemn 'the West' and say it was all nothing and warmongers in NATO were making things up. Even if the fact people have responded to the threats is part of why he does not go through with it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Unless an awful lot of clever people are humongously deluded, Russia is likely going to invade Ukraine, next week

Is there a market?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Or are they playing chess with Putin, putting pressure on him by making it seem that an invasion is almost certain now, so he has to come back with some better negotiating positions? He wants results me thinks not to be bogged down in a war.
  • Options
    Leon said:

To what end?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Probably do nothing. But, if the Ukraine have a 250,000 strong army, presumably it can't be that simple to invade.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    Sunday = day 1.

Also, Hey, I don't mean to rain on your parade but we're not gonna last 50.5 hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before! And they're-- they're gonna come in here--
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    Americans. They regard Sunday as the first day of the week.
    Also, Kiev time. midnight on Sunday is now 26.25 hours away.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Humph ....😡
    Talking of GCHQ-sponsored astroturfers what on earth has happened to Philip Thompson? The story so far.....

Ah, the classic CCHQ/GCHQ mixup :)
    Dyslexia! I'm still hunting for 'DOX".......
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Techne UK, 8-9 Feb (NB. UK totals)

Lab 41% (+1)
    Con 33% (+1)
    LD 9% (-1)
    SNP 4% (-)
    Green 6% (-)
    Oth 7% (-1)

(changes from 1-2 Feb)

https://www.techneuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/R4-UK-2022-2-11-DATA.pdf

Everyone seems to be down.
    Nope, just the LDs and Others.
  • Options

Leon said:

To what end?
    To what end has he massed troops to threaten invasion in the first place?

My general working assumption for most things is that a lot of the time when you think X is about to happen, it doesn't. The status quo usually continues being the status quo.

But of course every now and then stuff does happen. That stuff being a bad idea doesn't really impact whether it will occur or not.

An invasion not occuring would not mean that what has been going on is nothing, or that people shouldn't have responded to escalation.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    Sunday = day 1.

Also, Hey, I don't mean to rain on your parade but we're not gonna last 50.5 hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before! And they're-- they're gonna come in here--
    Look into my eye!
  • Options

Leon said:

Or are they playing chess with Putin, putting pressure on him by making it seem that an invasion is almost certain now, so he has to come back with some better negotiating positions? He wants results me thinks not to be bogged down in a war.
    Would he get “bogged down”? He could seize the Russian speaking parts of Ukraine with impunity. Appear as a liberator. Raising their GDP per capita overnight. Russia is enlarged.

No one will fight for those bits. Certainly not us

It’s whether he goes for Kiev, Odessaand Western Ukraine, where he WOULD face huge resistance and guerilla war. I doubt that.
    We may be about to witness the (further) partition of Ukraine
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    50.25 hours, please! We're British!
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

JUST IN:

Highly unusual Friday night meeting. Was that the only way they could get Boris to attend?
    Suitcases locked and loaded.
  • Options

Leon said:

To what end?
    Why did he annexe Crimea, or South Ossetia?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    Sunday = day 1.

Look into my eye!
    This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training. Right?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    Grimly ironic. NYT Feb 5th 2022

Ukraine Gave Up a Giant Nuclear Arsenal 30 Years Ago. Today There Are Regrets.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, Ukraine turned over thousands of atomic weapons in exchange for security guarantees from Russia, the United States and other countries.

At the end of the Cold War, the third largest nuclear power on earth was not Britain, France or China. It was Ukraine. The Soviet collapse, a slow-motion downfall that culminated in December 1991, resulted in the newly independent Ukraine inheriting roughly 5,000 nuclear arms that Moscow had stationed on its soil. Underground silos on its military bases held long-range missiles that carried up to 10 thermonuclear warheads, each far stronger than the bomb that leveled Hiroshima. Only Russia and the United States had more weapons.

The removal of this arsenal often gets hailed as a triumph of arms control. Diplomats and peace activists cast Ukraine as a model citizen in a world of would-be nuclear powers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/05/science/ukraine-nuclear-weapons.html
  • Options
    Two months and five days since the last Tory poll lead*.

(* Redfield & Wilton, 6th December.)
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    I was not aware that was an american thing. I've always thought Sunday was the first day of the week.
  • Options
    Did I mention my 5 day romantic break begins tonight?

Nothing major happens when PB editorial staff go on holiday/breaks. FACT.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

US BELIEVES PUTIN HAS DECIDED TO INVADE UKRAINE, EXPECT INVASION TO BEGIN NEXT WEEK - NBC

They've been saying that for months. May be true, but still seems to me totally bonkers purely from the perspective of Putin's interest. The negatives seem to vastly outweigh the positives - ruined relations, largely hostile country, huge costs, sanctions vs some sort of nationalist gratification.

But I appreciate that Putin's mind may work in some mysteriously different way.
    People can lead themselves into situations which they know are dumb and damaging, but have forced themselves into nonetheless (like pretending you didn't know a party was a party for example).

I don't know Putin's mind either, but he has gathered up a lot of armed forces with the minimum intent of threatening to invade (whilst silmultaneously claiming he isn't, but that he will stand down if others give in), and so if he didn't get what he thought out of that threat, who the hell knows what he might do? One might well argue it was dumb to go after Eastern Ukraine (Crimea seems to have been an easy win), but he still did it.

And they haven't been saying he will invade 'next week' for months. It's been said he was preparing for invasion, which is not quite the same thing.
    Yes, perhaps. Crimea I get - strongly pro-Russian, separated from the Ukraine, joined by historical accident. The far eastern bit of Ukraine maybe, again ethnically mostly Russian, though my impression is not as pro-Russian as Crimea and currently run by a sort of mafia and not really viable. Perhaps the plan is to threaten to take the whole of Ukraine, then "compromise" on just taking a little bit to make the eastern area more viable? That could be what Biden gleaned in his hastily-corrected slip about any major intervention being unacceptable, i.e. by implication a minor one wouldn't be so bad. Perhaps he had intelligence that that was the more "moderate" plan under consideration?

The history is not all one way - it does appear to be true that Ukraine signed up to regional autonomy with no interention of ever granting it. It would be rational for the Russians to be annoyed about that, but not to start a war, any more than HYUFD with his "tanks in Edinburgh" option.

But one can go mad trying to read the mind of autocrats.
  • Options

just don't tell her that South African paralympian joke
  • Options

17 years since last LAB GE win*

(*2005) 👍
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Grimly ironic. NYT Feb 5th 2022

Ukraine Gave Up a Giant Nuclear Arsenal 30 Years Ago. Today There Are Regrets.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, Ukraine turned over thousands of atomic weapons in exchange for security guarantees from Russia, the United States and other countries.

At the end of the Cold War, the third largest nuclear power on earth was not Britain, France or China. It was Ukraine. The Soviet collapse, a slow-motion downfall that culminated in December 1991, resulted in the newly independent Ukraine inheriting roughly 5,000 nuclear arms that Moscow had stationed on its soil. Underground silos on its military bases held long-range missiles that carried up to 10 thermonuclear warheads, each far stronger than the bomb that leveled Hiroshima. Only Russia and the United States had more weapons.

The removal of this arsenal often gets hailed as a triumph of arms control. Diplomats and peace activists cast Ukraine as a model citizen in a world of would-be nuclear powers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/05/science/ukraine-nuclear-weapons.html

Kazakhstan also surrendered its legacy nuclear weapons AIR. However, Nursultan Nazarbayev and his acolytes cosied up to Moscow instead of trying to plot an independent course as Ukraine has.

Mind you, there's much less bitterness towards Russia in Kazakhstan than there is in the Ukraine. It didn't suffer the tragedies of the Holodomar, the German invasion, and the Russian counter-attack.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Would he get “bogged down”? He could seize the Russian speaking parts of Ukraine with impunity. Appear as a liberator. Raising their GDP per capita overnight. Russia is enlarged.

It’s whether he goes for Kiev, Odessaand Western Ukraine, where he WOULD face huge resistance and guerilla war. I doubt that.
    Yes, that makes more sense. It seems what he actually wants is a federated Ukr with the eastern bit as trojan horse helping to control what politicians in western bit do e.g. EU membership type stuff. So says recent pieces in telegraph and New statesman
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

To what end?

My general working assumption for most things is that a lot of the time when you think X is about to happen, it doesn't. The status quo usually continues being the status quo.

Quite
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I've told her that one years ago. She's used to my sense of humour, although she hates puns.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

They've been saying that for months. May be true, but still seems to me totally bonkers purely from the perspective of Putin's interest. The negatives seem to vastly outweigh the positives - ruined relations, largely hostile country, huge costs, sanctions vs some sort of nationalist gratification.

But I appreciate that Putin's mind may work in some mysteriously different way.
    People can lead themselves into situations which they know are dumb and damaging, but have forced themselves into nonetheless (like pretending you didn't know a party was a party for example).

I don't know Putin's mind either, but he has gathered up a lot of armed forces with the minimum intent of threatening to invade (whilst silmultaneously claiming he isn't, but that he will stand down if others give in), and so if he didn't get what he thought out of that threat, who the hell knows what he might do? One might well argue it was dumb to go after Eastern Ukraine (Crimea seems to have been an easy win), but he still did it.

And they haven't been saying he will invade 'next week' for months. It's been said he was preparing for invasion, which is not quite the same thing.
    Yes, perhaps. Crimea I get - strongly pro-Russian, separated from the Ukraine, joined by historical accident. The far eastern bit of Ukraine maybe, again ethnically mostly Russian, though my impression is not as pro-Russian as Crimea and currently run by a sort of mafia and not really viable. Perhaps the plan is to threaten to take the whole of Ukraine, then "compromise" on just taking a little bit to make the eastern area more viable? That could be what Biden gleaned in his hastily-corrected slip about any major intervention being unacceptable, i.e. by implication a minor one wouldn't be so bad. Perhaps he had intelligence that that was the more "moderate" plan under consideration?

The history is not all one way - it does appear to be true that Ukraine signed up to regional autonomy with no interention of ever granting it. It would be rational for the Russians to be annoyed about that, but not to start a war, any more than HYUFD with his "tanks in Edinburgh" option.

But one can go mad trying to read the mind of autocrats.
    My assumption, based on nothing really, is that your suggestion is right in that being realistic that German Naval dude was right that Ukraine is never getting Crimea back, and almost certainly is never getting the eastern bit already taken back either. Expanding it a little or just being a little more formal in making clear Ukraine will never get it back might well be the aim.

No one wants to get involved in such a messy border - setting out that it will remain disputed as a long term Russian goal effectively cuts off a lot of diplomatic options for Ukraine I imagine. Nations can ignore that it was invaded years ago, until Russia forces then to acknowledge the reality.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bet you they don't
  • Options

(*2005) 👍
    Don't tell a Corbynista that, they'll start telling you the Tories have won every election since 1974.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

To what end?
    He's already got Crimea.
  • Options

Nine months and a week since the Hartlepool by election, when Boris looked set for a 1000 year reich as God Emperor of Dune.

Except to one inspired visionary who called peak Boris at what turned out to be, spookily, peak Boris.

And here we are.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

To what end?
    He's already got Crimea.
    Yes, and South Ossetia. Read the comment, Dr.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Oh yes.

And in Johnson's case it's a not-very-subtle attempt to ramp up the media and deflect attention away from domestic problems.

It's as old as the hills although at least we should be grateful that he isn't preparing to invade somewhere himself.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I've told her that one years ago. She's used to my sense of humour, although she hates puns.
    Have you told her that one about the Focke Wolfe and the Messerschmitt?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I believe Muriel Gray has moved on from Glasgow School of Art to the boards of the British Museum and the BBC. Perhaps she could be ennobled and get involved in the Westminster renovation. That would sort things out..
  • Options
    The only smidgen of doubt I have about the fact that Russia won't invade Ukraine came today when they said they won't invade Ukraine.

That did worry me.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pulpstar said:

It true there's a poster on here who is about to take Roger's crown.
  • Options
    glw said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon Posts: 15,665
    February 9
    Putin bottling?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60315906
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

To what end?
    He's already got Crimea.
    So why would he need to invade?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

nico679 said:

Oh yes.

And in Johnson's case it's a not-very-subtle attempt to ramp up the media and deflect attention away from domestic problems.

It's as old as the hills although at least we should be grateful that he isn't preparing to invade somewhere himself.
    Johnson is so incompetent that I bet many Ukrainians are wishing he was a Russian planning an invasion right now. He'd probably absent-mindedly invade China instead.
  • Options
    glw said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't be snide. Be open.

I said I don't think they will invade Ukraine and I still don't think they will invade Ukraine.

Got it now?
  • Options
    The big lesson here is: Never give up your nukes

One for Ms Sturgeon and various Labour appeasers to ponder
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

To what end?
    He's already got Crimea.
    So why would need to invade?
    Because he wants the Donbass too?

And to show he's not a stupid looking idiot with a small cock whose entire domestic policy is more ruined than the Palace of Westminster?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    I was not aware that was an american thing. I've always thought Sunday was the first day of the week.
    "While in North America Sunday is the first day of the week, Europeans commonly consider Monday as the first day of the week and the Geneva-based International Organization for Standardization places Monday as the first day of the week in its ISO 8601 standard."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday
  • Options
    Leon said:

Unfortunately a lesson North Korea, Israel, Iran, Pakistan and more than a few other unstable regimes will be learning, and putting into practice.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Have you told her that one about the Focke Wolfe and the Messerschmitt?
    Or the one with the punch line Are you pist, or iust pleased to see me?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Heathener said:

glw said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't be snide. Be open.

I said I don't think they will invade Ukraine and I still don't think they will invade Ukraine.

Got it now?
    You didn't substantiate your claim at all. Just hot air. There are thousands just like you on Twtitter dead sure of what will happen, but the experts are the ones with doubts.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    I thought Macron was going to save the day? Bloody French.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Righto, when indy comes we should learn the lesson form Ukraine and haud onto Scotland's nukes.
  • Options

Leon said:

Righto, when indy comes we should learn the lesson form Ukraine and haud onto Scotland's nukes.
    That's not going to do the economic case for independence any good :wink:
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Well that ensures no challenge to Boris likely until May.

Economic sanctions on Russia will follow and further military reinforcements sent by NATO to Poland and the Baltic States
    A full scale Russian invasion throws EVERYTHING into confusion, abeyance and mayhem. Not least my planned trip to Odessa in March. Oh well
    Perhaps you could go to Odessa as War Correspondent, with helmet and flak jacket?
    Balaclava, and cardigan with raglan sleeves. That war was highly productive in terms of shit fashion items.
    Also responsible for the late Victorian Karl Marx giant beard trend. Shaving was banned in the Crimea due to risk of infection. Queen Victoria was quite taken by the burly, tanned and hirsute troops.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Tres said:

kle4 said:

Didn't they fanny about for ages because they wanted Big Ben to go bong or whatever when we pretended we left the EU?
    I'd believe anything at this point.

I think what really pisses me off about it is the complaints and delays that get reported all seem to be that it will cost a lot of money and be difficult to do, so they say no to any option as if awaiting a miracle where it will become easy and cheap.

Well it won't, so grow up and either fork out the money or just stop pretending you're renovate at all.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

50.5 hours.
    "While in North America Sunday is the first day of the week, Europeans commonly consider Monday as the first day of the week and the Geneva-based International Organization for Standardization places Monday as the first day of the week in its ISO 8601 standard."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday
    Thought it was a Catholic Protestant distinction.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    glw said:

Heathener said:

glw said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't be snide. Be open.

Got it now?
    You didn't substantiate your claim at all. Just hot air. There are thousands just like you on Twtitter dead sure of what will happen, but the experts are the ones with doubts.
    I'm not 'dead sure' but I do not think Russia will invade Ukraine. That is based not on hot air but a former life which I'm not going into in very great detail. As I mentioned previously a few days ago, when I was involved in such things it became a bit of a running joke that the might of Russia was exaggerated. I could say more but I shan't. But on a more widely available point I do not think they have sufficient numbers in place to mount a successful invasion at this time.

They would need more to be sure of success and my assessment of Putin is that he's not one to countenance a possible defeat.

Now stop being so rude and ad hominem. This place gets childishly argumentative a lot of the time.
  • Options

Leon said:

Well it would certainly stop HYUFD venturing up with a tank regiment and annexing the Scottish Borders.
  • Options

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    31m
    Important: US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan stresses Washington is not saying Putin has made a decision on Ukraine (contra PBS report).

He says Moscow’s put in place all forces needed to conduct a major military action, so now a “distinct possibility” Putin could act.

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1492221044542914565
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That's not going to do the economic case for independence any good :wink:
    It's the only deterrent that HYUFD and the Queen's Own Granny Bashers will understand.
  • Options

to conduct a major military action,

Notice the backtrack and the language out of Washington.

As I said, some skirmishes and incursions are one thing.

A full-scale invasion another.

I do not believe they have in place sufficient forces to mount a full-scale invasion. At this time.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

glw said:

Heathener said:

glw said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't be snide. Be open.

Got it now?
    I'm not 'dead sure' but I do not think Russia will invade Ukraine. That is based not on hot air but a former life which I'm not going into in very great detail. As I mentioned previously a few days ago, when I was involved in such things it was a became a bit of a running joke that the might of Russia was exaggerated. I could say more but I shan't. But on a more widely available point I do not think they have sufficient numbers in place to mount a successful invasion at this time.

They would need more to be sure of success and my assessment of Putin is that he's not one to countenance a possible defeat.
    The issue isn't'winning' in a military sense. Whether the Russian Bear is actually a paper tiger or not, they could do that fairly easily. Ukraine is easy to invade geographically and its military is not the strongest.

The question is the aftermath. How do you hold a sulky and rebellious country against its will when your military is urgently needed elsewhere?

The answer is with extreme difficulty. Just ask the Americans after Iraq...

And I don't know that Putin and particularly Lukashenko can take the punishment Bush did.
  • Options

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    31m
    Important: US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan stresses Washington is not saying Putin has made a decision on Ukraine (contra PBS report).

He says Moscow’s put in place all forces needed to conduct a major military action, so now a “distinct possibility” Putin could act.

I'm beginning to think (hope?) that the West is calling Putin's bluff tonight, having calculated that he lacks the strength for a successful invasion. Either he goes in and gets beaten or he stays out and loses face.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516

(*2005) 👍
    And the chance of a Labour win (326 seats - 126 more than now) remains small. Among the possible 'next governments' a Tory majority government is the favourite. And they are favourites for most seats.

For ages I have said that the next GE probabilities are about 45%+ Tory majority, 45%+ some sort of centre left alliance, 10%-5% Labour majority. I think it has shifted a bit but not massively. There is too long to go and too much to happen.

Paterson+Partygate has been a dark grey swan to say the least. But the next one could be something where the Pidcock tendency blows up the Labour party and its hopes. SKS will have to work hard to keep the left off the telly and out of mind. They will be doing their best to lose the election for the class traitor.

• Options
    Heathener said:

glw said:

Heathener said:

glw said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't be snide. Be open.

Got it now?
    I'm not 'dead sure' but I do not think Russia will invade Ukraine. That is based not on hot air but a former life which I'm not going into in very great detail. As I mentioned previously a few days ago, when I was involved in such things it became a bit of a running joke that the might of Russia was exaggerated. I could say more but I shan't. But on a more widely available point I do not think they have sufficient numbers in place to mount a successful invasion at this time.

Now stop being so rude and ad hominem. This place gets childishly argumentative a lot of the time.
    Definitely growing into the role of Fault finder General
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

(*2005) 👍
    And the chance of a Labour win (326 seats - 126 more than now) remains small. Among the possible 'next governments' a Tory majority government is the favourite. And they are favourites for most seats.

But the markets have been an appalling guide to outcomes in recent years. Look at Chesham and Amersham where you could still get fantastic odds on the LDs during the count, and a host of other cock-ups including the US Presidential election.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

[snip] ...Queen Victoria was quite taken by the burly, tanned and hirsute troops.

Lucky she did not get pregnant :D
  • Options

Lucy Fisher
    @LOS_Fisher
    ·
    31m

I'm beginning to think (hope?) that the West is calling Putin's bluff tonight, having calculated that he lacks the strength for a successful invasion. Either he goes in and gets beaten or he stays out and loses face.
    Indeed. As I posted earlier it seems to me a concerted effort get him to do another round of talks.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    Heathener said:

to conduct a major military action,

Notice the backtrack and the language out of Washington.

As I said, some skirmishes and incursions are one thing.

A full-scale invasion another.

I do not believe they have in place sufficient forces to mount a full-scale invasion. At this time.
    Russia's had two 'incursions' into Ukraine within the last ten years. In Crimea and the Donbass, they have not given any territory back.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    algarkirk said:

For ages I have said that the next GE probabilities are about 45%+ Tory majority, 45%+ some sort of centre left alliance, 10%-5% Labour majority. I think it has shifted a bit but not massively. There is too long to go and too much to happen.

Paterson+Partygate has been a dark grey swan to say the least. But the next one could be something where the Pidcock tendency blows up the Labour party and its hopes. SKS will have to work hard to keep the left off the telly and out of mind. They will be doing their best to lose the election for the class traitor.

I doubt it - as the mid-90s showed, "the left" (whatever that means) will be acquiescent if they think victory and power is within their grasp.

The fear/hope (delete as appropriate) was that Blair's revolution of Labour would be derailed by the ghosts of Militant but it wasn't because as all sensible politicians know, office is infinitely preferable to opposition.

It will also be that judgement which decides Johnson's fate.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Big mistake to believe the Russian speaking part of Ukraine would regard him as a liberator. I'm not sure Crimeans are that happy now with the situation. Being governed by Putin's mafia isn't much fun. There's obviously a fair bit of discontent in Russia itself. The trouble is that we signed up to 1994 Treaty on Ukranian nuclear disarmament and the Ukranians themselves signed the Minsk agreement. On the other side you've got some autocratic thugs.

I just hope the message is clear that a further incursion would mean freezing of UK assets of the Russian elite. Sending a few hundred troops to Poland is not really a serious threat.
This discussion has been closed.