Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson has 15% lead over Sunak amongst CON voters as “best PM” – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601

I check back in after watching another excellent episode of 'dix pour cent' and all the talk is of nuclear war.

have I missed something?

Didn’t you hear the sirens?
    When I was a kid in the late 1960s I am sure we had a siren at the top of the road that was tested periodically. Have I imagined that?
    No. It's correct. I often heard the test.

• Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:
    In the event of an all out nuclear strike your best bet is to be as close to the point of impact as possible. The last thing you want to do is survive the initial blast.
    Yes, had that thought as I said bugger. Am within a mile of the centre of town. But still, bugger.
    I had really hoped that with 1989 all this kind of apocalyptic nonsense would be over for good.

I'm not sure in my last terrified minutes of life here in east London I would draw any comfort from the knowledge the citizens of Irkutsk or Rostov were going to join me in the next life and large parts of human civilisation would be lost forever.

My fear is weak leaders like Johnson and Biden will lead us into a conflict rather than do what needs to be done to negotiate a deal with Putin who isn't Peter the Great. My hope is behind the scenes the right people are working hard to de-escalate all this and coming up with a deal, most of which will remain hidden from public view, but will allow everyone to save face.
    Yes all the blame is on Johnson and Biden, not the aggressive unprovoked attack on an innocent country whose territorial integrity we have pledged to protect. It is amazing how these supposed liberals want to return to 19th Century Great Power politics, where big countries carve up the little countries between them.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨 Excl: A No10 spokesman confirms the prime minister has tonight received a questionnaire from the Metropolitan Police and will respond as required.

'Respond as required' is an interesting phrase. Is he 'required' to respond at all?
    I think so. In the classic phrase, he is helping the police with their enquiries. To decline would be to obstruct the enquiry.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,143
    Exclusive

Boris Johnson is expected to argue he was working in the Downing Street flat when there the night of the alleged 'Abba Party'.

Allies are pointing to the part the Sue Gray report which notes the flat has a "dual office and private purpose".
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/11/boris-johnson-receives-questionnaire-police-partygate-investigation/

Telegraph has previously reported PM was in the flat the night of the gathering on 13 November 2020, after Dominic Cummings left.

Allegedly Abba music including 'The Winner Takes It All' was heard blaring out. It is one of the events being investigated by the Met.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:
    In the event of an all out nuclear strike your best bet is to be as close to the point of impact as possible. The last thing you want to do is survive the initial blast.
    Yes, had that thought as I said bugger. Am within a mile of the centre of town. But still, bugger.
    I had really hoped that with 1989 all this kind of apocalyptic nonsense would be over for good.

I'm not sure in my last terrified minutes of life here in east London I would draw any comfort from the knowledge the citizens of Irkutsk or Rostov were going to join me in the next life and large parts of human civilisation would be lost forever.

My fear is weak leaders like Johnson and Biden will lead us into a conflict rather than do what needs to be done to negotiate a deal with Putin who isn't Peter the Great. My hope is behind the scenes the right people are working hard to de-escalate all this and coming up with a deal, most of which will remain hidden from public view, but will allow everyone to save face.
    Much as you - and others on here - slag me off for saying I preferred Trump over Biden, this is exactly the reason why I would stand by my choice. There is a reason Putin didn’t try any sh1t when Trump was President and it wasn’t because he was Kompromat. It was because Putin was wary of provoking someone like Trump. Biden is weak but my overriding fear is that, in order to give off the impression of strength, Biden tries too hard and pushes the world into a catastrophe.
    Russia occupied parts of Ukraine for the entirety of Trump's presidency, killed 100 Turkish troops in Balyun, invaded Azerbaijan, continued its cyberwarfare campaign against Ukraine and other countries, and spent a large amount of its time sharpening its military in Syria. So, no. Yet again, you're woefully wrong.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

Much as you - and others on here - slag me off for saying I preferred Trump over Biden, this is exactly the reason why I would stand by my choice. There is a reason Putin didn’t try any sh1t when Trump was President and it wasn’t because he was Kompromat. It was because Putin was wary of provoking someone like Trump. Biden is weak but my overriding fear is that, in order to give off the impression of strength, Biden tries too hard and pushes the world into a catastrophe.
    Putin was a hero for many Trumpites.

Trump may well have defended Taiwan from China, he certainly would not have defended Ukraine from Putin or even the Baltic States from Putin
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

As the Met said yesterday that these questionnaires are equivalent to an interview under caution, Boris Johnson takes the dubious honour of being the first PM to be cautioned by police in office.
    https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1492258499748941829

They said they are 'equivalent' to an interview under caution, but the Met clearly doesn't know a lot of things, so does anyone know if that is true or just bullshit?
    Has there been any discussion of the rather obvious question of why they cannot, as in ordinary criminal cases like murder, burglary etc resort to the right of silence - a right which is used all the time both by trouble makers and well advised career criminals.

• Options
    MrEd said:

Aslan said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

And here we see the useful idiots on left and right pushing Russian talking points in order to sell out the Ukrainians. The fact that you leap to blame Biden and the West over Russia invading a sovereign, democratizing country just shows you are either an idiot or completely intellectually dishonest.
    Pushing Russian talking points, how is that? Maybe you ought to engage your brain before you speak.

Trump didn’t sell out Ukraine because Russia didn’t dare try anything on. Putin was aware that if he fucked with Ukraine, Trump might be up for anything. Hence he didn’t do anything.

Biden has sold out Ukraine. He’s made it perfectly clear Ukraine is not getting any US help (which, TBF, is a question in itself) and held talks directly with Russia about Ukraine without the participation of the latter.

There is an idiot in this discussion and - I’ll make it plain because I suspect you are too thick to get irony - it’s you.
    No, Trump just sold out the Kurds in Syria instead, with the Russians taking over US military bases and taking US arms. Ukraine is his next step after he was emboldened by that fiasco. Ukraine is getting plenty of help from the US in terms of training, weapons, financing and the threat of sanctions if Russia goes ahead. Unfortunately venal, cowardly Europeans, including the government of Germany, are letting the side down.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

As the Met said yesterday that these questionnaires are equivalent to an interview under caution, Boris Johnson takes the dubious honour of being the first PM to be cautioned by police in office.

They said they are 'equivalent' to an interview under caution, but the Met clearly doesn't know a lot of things, so does anyone know if that is true or just bullshit?
    Has there been any discussion of the rather obvious question of why they cannot, as in ordinary criminal cases like murder, burglary etc resort to the right of silence - a right which is used all the time both by trouble makers and well advised career criminals.

I imagine its because the criminal inquiry is one thing, but this is about the politics of it - it looks bad enough as it is without also refusing to cooperate, even though that may well be their right. Even if it were certain to end up with fines issued, and there's surely no guarantee, that can be brazened out as not a big deal more than looking to continue to hide from the truth coming out? It was trying that which in part angered the Tory MPs who have put letters in.
  • Options
    German officials had been downplaying expectations ahead of Olaf Scholz's trip to Moscow on Tuesday. This evening it's starting to feel a little more significant.

https://twitter.com/tom_nuttall/status/1492267020234199047?s=20
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Aslan said:

MrEd said:

Aslan said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

And here we see the useful idiots on left and right pushing Russian talking points in order to sell out the Ukrainians. The fact that you leap to blame Biden and the West over Russia invading a sovereign, democratizing country just shows you are either an idiot or completely intellectually dishonest.
    Pushing Russian talking points, how is that? Maybe you ought to engage your brain before you speak.

Trump didn’t sell out Ukraine because Russia didn’t dare try anything on. Putin was aware that if he fucked with Ukraine, Trump might be up for anything. Hence he didn’t do anything.

Biden has sold out Ukraine. He’s made it perfectly clear Ukraine is not getting any US help (which, TBF, is a question in itself) and held talks directly with Russia about Ukraine without the participation of the latter.

There is an idiot in this discussion and - I’ll make it plain because I suspect you are too thick to get irony - it’s you.
    No, Trump just sold out the Kurds in Syria instead, with the Russians taking over US military bases and taking US arms. Ukraine is his next step after he was emboldened by that fiasco. Ukraine is getting plenty of help from the US in terms of training, weapons, financing and the threat of sanctions if Russia goes ahead. Unfortunately venal, cowardly Europeans, including the government of Germany, are letting the side down.
    Oh, I’d agree with the Europeans bit 100%. I’d also bet the Russians didn’t take over even 10% of the equipment left behind in Afghanistan.

But the US has essentially sold Ukraine down the river by making it clear it won’t get involved and, even if there are sanctions, they will be limited in scope.

What looks more clear is that Putin despises Biden, sees him as weak and a pushover. And predictable. And that’s dangerous.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793
    MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

Well that is bollocks. Trump's retreat in Syria showed old "bone spurs" is not afraid to leave allies in the lurch.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/21/residents-of-syrian-city-pelt-retreating-us-troops-with-potatoes

Not to mention being a dress rehearsal for his retreat from Afghanistan, which Biden completed.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

I also think describing yourself as 'preferring Trump over Biden' is something of an understatement. I don't know what you dislike about Biden but I would guess it paled into insignificance in comparison to not accepting the result of an election and getting his supporters to invade his own capital. Most things would.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

Putin was a hero for many Trumpites.

Trump may well have defended Taiwan from China, he certainly would not have defended Ukraine from Putin or even the Baltic States from Putin
    It's very difficult to say what Trump may or may not have done, he was such a loose cannon.

I suppose there is something to the argument that such an unpredictable adversary is less likely to be provoked but I'm not sure capriciousness is a sound basis for foreign policy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Boris Johnson is expected to argue he was working in the Downing Street flat when there the night of the alleged 'Abba Party'.

Allies are pointing to the part the Sue Gray report which notes the flat has a "dual office and private purpose".
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/11/boris-johnson-receives-questionnaire-police-partygate-investigation/

Telegraph has previously reported PM was in the flat the night of the gathering on 13 November 2020, after Dominic Cummings left.

Allegedly Abba music including 'The Winner Takes It All' was heard blaring out. It is one of the events being investigated by the Met.

Still doesn't get him any further along from having lied to Parliament about there not being parties.

"There I was, trying my best to level up the Red Wall seats, but there was all this bloody karaoke going on in my dual office/private purpose flat...."
  • Options

Still doesn't get him any further along from having lied to Parliament about there not being parties.

"There I was, trying my best to level up the Red Wall seats, but there was all this bloody karaoke going on in my dual office/private purpose flat...."

Present, but not involved...
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I would imagine (IANAL) that they have the option of answering the questionnaire or having to answer the questions at the police station. So they can choose to refuse now, be arrested and then choose 'no comment' down at the police station, or answer the questionnaire.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,602

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

US BELIEVES PUTIN HAS DECIDED TO INVADE UKRAINE, EXPECT INVASION TO BEGIN NEXT WEEK - NBC

Well that ensures no challenge to Boris likely until May.

Economic sanctions on Russia will follow and further military reinforcements sent by NATO to Poland and the Baltic States
    “ Well that ensures no challenge to Boris likely until May. “

Fact 3x Winner Lady Thatcher voncked out of politics whilst leading the world into the desert war, proves you are utterly wrong in that claim.

Boris can be voncked and out of politics by this time next week, everything now aligning for that.
    She was not voiced, Heseltine challenged her and a war with Iraq was a rather different scenario to a looming confrontation with Russia.

Though unless Russia invaded a NATO state I imagine economic sanctions would do for now
    Well, it was a vote, and she struggled. The Khaki nature of the foreign situation didn’t mean she was safe till later, what needed to be done went ahead.

I don’t want to be rude or anything, I’m also not sure “deficit not averaging over ten, so Boris safe” spin stands up either. This I took from a PB header from Mike Smithson. It is Lady Thatchers last polls before being removed. It’s not a succession of plus ten deficits at time her vonc, also Conservative share column is high doesn’t dip below the 35. Boris isn’t breaking 35 for lot of months.

my analysis is I think now my Dad might be right, 54 Leters could happen any moment regardless of being sure of a vonking win or not.

Add to that the recollections that at PMQs, her MPs were boisterously for Lady Thatcher around the time of her vonc. Now Boris back benchers rather mooted in chamber, uncommunicative to local media when asked their thoughts.

Add to that, say he is and always has been electoral catnip might be missing that he is now viewed in different way by so many, as less trustworthy less likeable man. Even if he gets to next election it’s not the Boris of last time or his Mayor wins. his mask has slipped. As Marquee Mark said to help us - it would be a hard sell.

Add to that, in this current saga, before and post Christmas, a lull in news narrative or closing of polls proves Boris isn’t out the worst, because it doesn’t take much at all and in hours it turns into blitzkrieg on Boris again. That’s a pattern is it not?

Makes analysis that he hasn’t survived because he can’t now. All he has survived is not toppling into the Abyss yet. A week or so ago I was believing he could move away from the edge of the abyss and go on to fight the next election, but Grays interim report gave the certainty he knew he partied when he told parliament he wasn’t aware of parties, his response to Grays report that day was so abysmal, Johnson can’t move away from the edge now. He is there till he topples in.

Maybe this week. I’ve got a feeling it is reached in recess, goes ahead week after, he doesn’t even get another PMQ.

You can bet against MoonRabbit’s feelings on these things if you like 😈
    The 3 polls before Heseltine challenged Thatcher on 14th November 1990 had Labour 21%, 17% and 16% ahead of Thatcher's Tories, the Tory voteshare was 30 to 33%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1992_United_Kingdom_general_election
    Just a feeling after munching my carrots. Boris gone in little over a week. 😉
    What? The great Churchillian war leader.
    Something has changed, Pete. Over the last twelve days the situation has very much changed, is the fact of it. The fact he is a weak leader on a precipice about to fall in, so everything from covid changes is viewed by the media and public as side-lining scientists because Boris in survival mode, every decision is looked at like that, in managing foreign affairs is he sidling experts as Boris in survival mode? - it’s because it’s viewed like this now, is precisely why the Conservative party will quickly move and settle the leadership weakness they have.

That’s the difference in the situation now than a few weeks ago: the idea Boris survives has diminished, diminished with it, any reasoning in for keeping a weak flailing leader in place.
  • Options
    There are three types of responses on here. One is disgust at Putin threatening an ally and a belief that we should do as much as we can to help Ukraine. You can put me squarely in that camp.
    A second is disgust at Putin threatening a country "we" don't have much stake in and yes we should help in a low stakes way but not risk a larger war. I disagree strongly with this but I respect the view.
    The last one is those who think this is an excellent opportunity to stick the boot in on someone you don't like. There's been a lot of this. People attacking Macron, Boris, Biden, Truss, whoever they disapprove with the scantest regard for facts or intelligent analysis.
    I think anyone doing this is actually a little unwell. If you're that fixated on your partisan trifles that you can't even glance up and look at what's really happening, you don't deserve any respect on any of your opinions. Give your head a shake. Whatever this Ukraine situation represents, it almost certainly isn't a general vindication of your worldview.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

Andy_JS said:
    He sounds a bit of a dick, but if there genuinely was a spare seat, and the nanny had been originally booked in business class, I think the crew stuffed up, got into a pickle and didn’t want to back down. I have a tiny bit of sympathy for him. It’s tiny, but just a smidge, as that would have riled me too. I just wouldn’t have caused enough of a scene to get thrown of the plane.
    It seems like he has been completely insulted by BA, and they haven't realised they were in the wrong; so it has got to the point where he has had to resort to going to the daily mail. Not a step that I would take myself, but then again I don't have a nanny and don't generally fly business class.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Aslan said:

MrEd said:

Aslan said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh, I’d agree with the Europeans bit 100%. I’d also bet the Russians didn’t take over even 10% of the equipment left behind in Afghanistan.

But the US has essentially sold Ukraine down the river by making it clear it won’t get involved and, even if there are sanctions, they will be limited in scope.

What looks more clear is that Putin despises Biden, sees him as weak and a pushover. And predictable. And that’s dangerous.
    The US has made it extremely clear they will continue to fund and arm the Ukrainians, and they will almost certainly continue to fund an underground resistance even after a Russian occupation. The only reason any sanctions will be limited in impact is that the US already sanctions Russia, already has a Magnitsky Act and there isn't much more to sanction. The two things that would really hurt Russia now are the Europeans cutting gas imports and London seizing financial assets and cutting Russia off from capital markets. Biden is leaning hard on both of them to do that.

Hopefully the UK will have some balls. It feels like the bloody Krauts are ready to sell out the Ukrainians for the second time in a century.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

People attacking Macron, Boris, Biden, Truss, whoever they disapprove with the scantest regard for facts or intelligent analysis.

Don't be an idiot.

Criticising Truss for being a lightweight dilettante is NOT an endorsement of Putin.

Criticising BoZo for being a fucking clown is not an endorsement of Putin.

It is possible to condemn Putin and still think our Government are out of their depth and likely to make the situation worse.

I don't want Putin to invade. I don't want BoZo and Truss to lead the response.

These are not opposing points of view
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Farooq said:

People attacking Macron, Boris, Biden, Truss, whoever they disapprove with the scantest regard for facts or intelligent analysis.

Don't be an idiot.

Criticising Truss for being a lightweight dilettante is NOT an endorsement of Putin.

It is possible to condemn Putin and still think our Government are out of their depth and likely to make the situation worse.

No, but one has to be careful not to transition from 'I don't want those two to lead the response' to the sort of STW style arguments about them pushing for war, or poking the bear etc, even accidentally. There's a line there - that stuff yesterday acting like it meant anything that Lavrov was making bitchy comments about Truss are a case in point. I think Farooq is being fair in seeing a difference between those.

I think an escalating situation is more reason for Boris to go, not less, but it is easy to imply blame on him and Truss, or equivalence, because they are disliked.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    THIS THREAD HAS GONE IN SEARCH OF KOREA OPPORTUNITIES.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Scott_xP said:

Farooq said:

Don't be an idiot.

What do you think of the implication below that this is a consequence of voting for Boris Johnson?

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1492226729926172677

@sturdyAlex
    There's a price to electing clowns who deliberately destabilise delicate geopolitical balances and embolden autocrats. Who knew.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Farooq said:

Don't be an idiot.

I think you've misunderstood what I mean. I'm referring to the kinds of views where people say that all this is the fault of Boris or Biden.
    It's completely fine to think that Boris or Biden aren't the best people to be in charge, that's a valid view and for different reasons I agree. But to try to pin the blame for Putin's aggression on any of them requires something a little more extraordinary than the yaa boo rubbish people have accustomed themselves to. Not everything bad that happens is the fault of your political opponents. The attempt to twist the Ukraine crisis into an opportunity to land a limp slap on someone from the "wrong" party isn't the mark of a genius analyst.

I bow to nobody in my wish to rid this country of Boris as PM, and I don't care even if there's a war on, I still want him out. But I do not intend to blame him for things that are way beyond his responsibility. And nor do I think that having Trump in charge would somehow have fixed this like he's some kind of fat magic grandpa.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Farooq said:

Don't be an idiot.

What do you think of the implication below that this is a consequence of voting for Boris Johnson?

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1492226729926172677

@sturdyAlex
    There's a price to electing clowns who deliberately destabilise delicate geopolitical balances and embolden autocrats. Who knew.
    Exactly this. I quite like that Alex guy, a lot of the time. He tends to be a lot more thoughtful than this, but he's way off the reservation here.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Farooq said:

Don't be an idiot.

No, but one has to be careful not to transition from 'I don't want those two to lead the response' to the sort of STW style arguments about them pushing for war, or poking the bear etc, even accidentally. There's a line there - that stuff yesterday acting like it meant anything that Lavrov was making bitchy comments about Truss are a case in point. I think Farooq is being fair in seeing a difference between those.

I think an escalating situation is more reason for Boris to go, not less, but it is easy to imply blame on him and Truss, or equivalence, because they are disliked.
    Yes yes yes, exactly what I'm trying to say.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

great work tory mps leaving this crippled joke of a pm spending next 7 days bunkered down with lawyers trying to remember all his different lies while another major global crisis unfolds
    https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1492259062116925441

So, great work Dom spinning things out like this instead of giving us one infodump to finish him.
This discussion has been closed.