Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tonight’s Southend W result will be compared with 2016 Batley & Spen – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Fintech angel investor in San Francisco speaks (and I doubt inhabitant of the hood)...

How many gunshots outside your front door would it take for you to move? We just had 10 which might be over my limit.

https://twitter.com/b6nbrown/status/1489073378061213699?s=20&t=EJ7dYQeGkYe1onJpfi4FNw

Indeed

Fascinating article in the FT about this today. Miami is booming as everyone moves there from NYC and California

“How Miami became the most important city in America”

Paywall, I’m afraid

NYC and San Fran are in particular trouble. Run by Democrat lunatics keen on more and more crime. Why stay in NYC and the cold if you can do everything from Miami? AND be safer? And pay much less tax? In the end a good opera house and nice art galleries only get you so far
    Mrs U lived in Miami for a while, I wouldn't immediately say its a super safe place in terms of crime. You can find serious trouble there if you are looking for it, e.g. a lot of drug importation.

But Texas and Florida are absolutely pitching themselves as being business friendly, nice weather, cheaper housing and doesn't have the skid row inhabiting "main street" of cities like SF, Portland, LA, and Seattle.

NYC is really suffering post COVID with mass amounts of empty store fronts. Businesses have gone bust, but rents too high for new ones to chance it. And that leads to lots of urban decay, which is a vicious cycle.
    I also think the weather is pushing it. If you enjoy baking in sweat all day and sleeping with Aircon on. And little variety except when there's a hurricane.
    Seattle and SF have much more palatable climates for me.
    We are from the UK though, used to rain and piss poor weather :-) For that reason, I really like Pacific coast and before COVID regularly visited.

I think people get used to it. I know when Mrs U lived in Florida, I went over and melted, after a a year she was just used to it.
    Yes. That is true. I lived in Taipei for seven years after all, and got used to it. It would be a better place without the climate though, of that there is no doubt.
    Almost everywhere I've been, the locals complain about the weather. Seems to be a common human condition.
    NYC though is particular brutal, especially in the city. Again Mrs U lived there too. F##king ice cold all sodding winter, and then summer melt your tits off.
    Arguably, the British Isles have the best - or at least the least bad - weather in the world.
    When was the last time the weather was genuinely uncomfortable? It got a bit nippy in the winter, but nothing a woolly hat can't keep out. It sweltered for a couple of weeks in the summer, but come on, it was a couple of weeks at most. It's very seldom longer.
    We have a relatively low proportion of hooray-isn't-the-weather-wonderful days. But we have very few my-god-when-will-this-weather-be-over days too.
    We also have fewer my-god-look-at-the-power-of-nature days than many places.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Fintech angel investor in San Francisco speaks (and I doubt inhabitant of the hood)...

How many gunshots outside your front door would it take for you to move? We just had 10 which might be over my limit.

https://twitter.com/b6nbrown/status/1489073378061213699?s=20&t=EJ7dYQeGkYe1onJpfi4FNw

Indeed

Fascinating article in the FT about this today. Miami is booming as everyone moves there from NYC and California

Paywall, I’m afraid

NYC and San Fran are in particular trouble. Run by Democrat lunatics keen on more and more crime. Why stay in NYC and the cold if you can do everything from Miami? AND be safer? And pay much less tax? In the end a good opera house and nice art galleries only get you so far
    Mrs U lived in Miami for a while, I wouldn't immediately say its a super safe place in terms of crime. You can find serious trouble there if you are looking for it, e.g. a lot of drug importation.

But Texas and Florida are absolutely pitching themselves as being business friendly, nice weather, cheaper housing and doesn't have the skid row inhabiting "main street" of cities like SF, Portland, LA, and Seattle.

NYC is really suffering post COVID with mass amounts of empty store fronts. Businesses have gone bust, but rents too high for new ones to chance it. And that leads to lots of urban decay, which is a vicious cycle.
    I also think the weather is pushing it. If you enjoy baking in sweat all day and sleeping with Aircon on. And little variety except when there's a hurricane.
    We are from the UK though, used to rain and piss poor weather :-) For that reason, I really like Pacific coast and before COVID regularly visited.

I think people get used to it. I know when Mrs U lived in Florida, I went over and melted, after a a year she was just used to it.
    Yes. That is true. I lived in Taipei for seven years after all, and got used to it. It would be a better place without the climate though, of that there is no doubt.
    Almost everywhere I've been, the locals complain about the weather. Seems to be a common human condition.
    NYC though is particular brutal, especially in the city. Again Mrs U lived there too. F##king ice cold all sodding winter, and then summer melt your tits off.
    Arguably, the British Isles have the best - or at least the least bad - weather in the world.
    When was the last time the weather was genuinely uncomfortable? It got a bit nippy in the winter, but nothing a woolly hat can't keep out. It sweltered for a couple of weeks in the summer, but come on, it was a couple of weeks at most. It's very seldom longer.
    We have a relatively low proportion of hooray-isn't-the-weather-wonderful days. But we have very few my-god-when-will-this-weather-be-over days too.
    Gotta love those iron grey skies.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

I'd add SW France and NW Spain - but could not agree more!

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,331
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

I think thats very true. We also have an extremely changeable weather, in that we rarely get stuck in the same weather for any length of time. It does happen of course, 1976 summer, 1963 winter are two notable examples, but generally if you don't like todays weather, just wait a bit and it will be different.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

What the Scottish government said at the time:

For those in Scotland in receipt of the UK State Pension at the time of independence, the responsibility for paying that pension would transfer to the Scottish Government.

https://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20150221031257/http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2013/09/3492/7

Yes, and I would anticipate that the new SG gets the value of pension contributions made by Scottish citizens transferred to them.

So not the rUK government paying their pensions, but rUK giving them back the money they have put into a UK pension so that it can become a Scottish pension.
    Why would they get that when UK citizens do not and would not get the same hypothecated sum? There isn't a pension pot; we pay for the current oldies and the new generation (God help us) will pay for us.

The examples given in this thread of ex pats getting the UK state pension are of UK citizens. If Indy were to happen, there might be the option to retain UK citizenship post-independence, and receive the UK state pension, paid in Sterling. Very popular I imagine with 'No' supporters but a very humiliating choice for 'Yes' supporters to make.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

NYC though is particularly brutal, especially in the city itself. Again Mrs U lived there too. F##king ice cold all sodding winter, and then summer melt your tits off, where the heat never escapes because of the massive buildings trapping it all in.
    Spend your winter in Florida, your spring and autumn in New York City and your summer in New England on the coast, problem solved!
    Thanks to the genius that is Tom Lehrer, there is a definitive list of which season to spend where... :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LslsgH3-UFU
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2022

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

The Algarve in Portugal has a particular nice balance. Pleasant in the winter, never too hot in the summer. The bigger issue is if you go somewhere nice there, the bloody celebs are every where (I imagine Dubai is the same in winter).
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Seattle and San Fran are also much better if you like homeless people on Fentanyl defecating on your pavement as they scream at illusory monsters
    Sounds like Stoke on Trent....
    Screaming "I use to be Prime Minister..."

Stoke far trendier and they don't have lots of guns.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Suggestion the 1922 are within single digits of the number they require

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1489247755834781699?t=wwWDwc-rNBmHQN1Mawlk4g&s=19

There will likely be a VONC I think, Boris however will still narrowly win it
    He will lose
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029

What the Scottish government said at the time:

For those in Scotland in receipt of the UK State Pension at the time of independence, the responsibility for paying that pension would transfer to the Scottish Government.

https://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20150221031257/http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2013/09/3492/7

Yes, and I would anticipate that the new SG gets the value of pension contributions made by Scottish citizens transferred to them.

So not the rUK government paying their pensions, but rUK giving them back the money they have put into a UK pension so that it can become a Scottish pension.
    Why would they get that when UK citizens do not and would not get the same hypothecated sum? There isn't a pension pot; we pay for the current oldies and the new generation (God help us) will pay for us.

The examples given in this thread of ex pats getting the UK state pension are of UK citizens. If Indy were to happen, there might be the option to retain UK citizenship post-independence, and receive the UK state pension, paid in Sterling. Very popular I imagine with 'No' supporters but a very humiliating choice for 'Yes' supporters to make.
    Again it's the idea that an rUK Tax payer is going to keep paying money to people in Scotland. It's not going to happen because any rUK Government who agreed to that would lose the next election and never see power again.

And the subsequent Government would scrap the payments as literally the first bit of legislation and use the money for something else.

It's an SNP pipedream but the SNP need it because without it their dream is dead.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Away with your southern-centric comments. Just because the south part of the country always has iron-grey skies, don't tarnish the north with the same description.

We are proud of our battleship-grey skies up here.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Seattle and San Fran are also much better if you like homeless people on Fentanyl defecating on your pavement as they scream at illusory monsters
    Sounds like Stoke on Trent....
    Screaming "I use to be Prime Minister..."

Stoke far trendier and they don't have lots of guns.
    To be fair, Stoke it isn't Fentanyl, it is PCP / Angel Dust, with them screaming look at me, I am spider man as they cling to the side of a building.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1489247755834781699?t=wwWDwc-rNBmHQN1Mawlk4g&s=19

I'd be interested to know your reasoning - assuming it's not extrapolating from % support among Con voters/members - is it based purely on current views of Con MPs? Do you think the fact that it could be the last chance before the next GE would focus minds? A 12m delay gets pretty much to March 23, which is getting dangerously close to any leader who is elected after a further VONC circus and leadership contest having less than a year to the GE. I reckon there could be a lot of MPs who could be persuaded to give Johnson "one last chance" but not if they thought that would inevitably morph into "one last GE". Because it could well be the last GE for a lot of them.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

We are pleased to confirm that we have granted regulatory approval of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine Nuvaxovid.

Nuvaxovid is now the fifth COVID-19 vaccine authorised for use within the UK.

Read more: https://gov.uk/government/news/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-nuvaxovid-approved-by-mhra

#Novavax #Nuvaxovid #COVD19

https://twitter.com/MHRAgovuk/status/1489252791033815049?s=20&t=OoxHxT__z1uvzlbnJin5aw

Presumably this is what Djokovic has been waiting for; a vaccine with his name on, so they can sponsor him to get one.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,024

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

We also have fewer my-god-look-at-the-power-of-nature days than many places.
    Yes. We also don't have the threat of earthquakes, volcanoes and attendant tsunamis.
    Which. Given the length of time it took to get everyone back on the grid after the relatively moderate Storm Arwen, is probably a jolly good thing, indeed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Christchurch, NZ had the best climate of anywhere that I have lived. Rarely above 30 degrees, reliably sunny with a couple of grey days when the wind turned southerly every fortnight or so. Frost in Winter but T shirt weather by lunchtime and clear blue skies.

The highlands of East Africa between Malawi and Ethiopia too, like perpetual summer with a comfortable night temperature.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    HYUFD said:

Do you really think that? I'd expect a comfortable defeat.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Away with your southern-centric comments. Just because the south part of the country always has iron-grey skies, don't tarnish the north with the same description.

We are proud of our battleship-grey skies up here.
    Ash-grey, from where I'm sitting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347
    HYUFD said:

If Pandora's box is opened he's done for. I am still not sure it gets opened.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,564
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Are you fucking kidding? It was you that pointed out only 2% of the world lives north of Manchester. There is a reason for that

British weather is unlikely to kill you, unless you’re in Glasgow or Wick and you die of depression. But that’s it. British weather is too too depressing, due to lack of sun

The British isles are some of the most sunless places on earth. I believe north west England and most of Scotland are only outdone by places like the Aleutian Islands. For gloominess.

It’s that dank dark chilly gloom that makes the british winter vile

Sure. It’s not the worst climate on earth. But it really is very very very far from “the best”

Somewhere like the hills of the algarve - around monchique - is infinitely superior. They get a short nippy winter. Beautiful colourful springs and poetic autumns. And long long sunny summers where the temperatures and humidity are moderated by the Atlantic

There is a reason the Roman Empire sent it’s best soldiers into retirement on the algarve
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

So would I. On a secret ballot, I doubt the payroll vote would be particularly solid. The competent and ambitious would see they could do better.
    The duffers would be onside of course.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,564
    I see that @FrancisUrquhart and I are agreed on the algarve. Snap
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

The Algarve in Portugal has a particular nice balance. Pleasant in the winter, never too hot in the summer. The bigger issue is if you go somewhere nice there, the bloody celebs are every where (I imagine Dubai is the same in winter).
    Dubai is lovely in the winter, was 27°С today and we had only a handful of days of rain a few weeks back.

The real ‘celebs’ can keep themselves to themselves in the resort hotels with private beaches - apart from those idiots who can’t have breakfast without taking a photo of it!

The funny thing to watch, is the people who book one night in a fancy beach hotel, and spend the day taking dozens of photos of themselves on the beach in several different outfits, to post for a week - then spend the rest of the week in the Ibis at £50 a night. They clearly want to give the impression of being able to stand £500 a night for a week, but can’t write the cheque.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

If there is a vote, he's absolute toast imho.

He has no real loyalists group apart from a few useless cabinet ministers who know they would be nowhere near office under another leader. He has no faction. If there is a Johnsonism then it is not what most conservative MPs want to do in office as far as I can see e.g. NI tax
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,172
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

May got over 60% of MPs in 2018, even Thatcher got 54% of MPs in 1990 despite the Tories being over 10% behind in every poll and her refusing to scrap the poll tax.

Under today's party leadership rules there would have been no 2nd ballot in 1990 and Thatcher would have led the Tories at the 1992 general election.

Boris has also already proven himself as a general election winner like Thatcher and unlike say IDS in 2003 when he became the only Tory leader to lose a VONC
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Dubai is lovely in the winter, was 27°С today and we had only a handful of days of rain a few weeks back.

The real ‘celebs’ can keep themselves to themselves in the resort hotels with private beaches - apart from those idiots who can’t have breakfast without taking a photo of it!

The funny thing to watch, is the people who book one night in a fancy beach hotel, and spend the day taking dozens of photos of themselves on the beach in several different outfits, to post for a week - then spend the rest of the week in the Ibis at £50 a night. They clearly want to give the impression of being able to stand £500 a night for a week, but can’t write the cheque.
    https://www.dazeddigital.com/life-culture/article/50575/1/instagram-influencers-are-posing-in-fake-private-jets-were-questioning-reality
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

May got over 60% of MPs in 2018, even Thatcher got 54% of MPs in 1990 despite the Tories being over 10% behind in every poll and her refusing to scrap the poll tax.

Under today's rules there would have been no 2nd ballot in 1990 and Thatcher would have led the Tories at the 1992 general.

Boris has also already proven himself as a general election winner like Thatcher and unlike say IDS in 2003 when he became the only Tory leader to lose a VONC
    May won the VoNC because for a lot of Tory MPs the other options would result in a Brexit they didn't like.

That isn't the case here, once MPs can have an anonymous say on Boris he's toast.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Under today's rules there would have been no 2nd ballot in 1990 and Thatcher would have led the Tories at the 1992 general election.

Against Corbyn? He's hard pressed against Starmer.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Scott_xP said:

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: Munira Mirza, the Downing Street head of policy, has resigned over Boris Johnson’s Jimmy Savile attack on Keir Starmer

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/exclusive-boris-s-policy-chief-quits-over-jimmy-savile-slur

As I said previously, it didn't feel like a Lynton Crosby attack. Far too blunt and didn't stand up to any scrutiny.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: Munira Mirza, the Downing Street head of policy, has resigned over Boris Johnson’s Jimmy Savile attack on Keir Starmer

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/exclusive-boris-s-policy-chief-quits-over-jimmy-savile-slur

Is the push now on? She has been involved with Boris for ages, during his time at Mayor I believe.
  • Options

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

I believe so. More than that, I think he believes so, going by the way he and his outriders have been behaving.

• Options
    Applicant said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

I believe so. More than that, I think he believes so, going by the way he and his outriders have been behaving.

Desperate to avoid a vote.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Scott_xP said:

If he doesn't get on with it soon there'll be nobody left in Number 10 to fire over the parties.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is the push now on? She has been involved with Boris for ages, during his time at Mayor I believe.
    Feck me. That is massive.

She was an absolute lynchpin.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,212
    Explains why he backtracked.

Twat
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

She is someone who is loyal to Boris Johnson as I was (am) to David Cameron.

This is huge, in Tory circles that is.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

As I said previously, it didn't feel like a Lynton Crosby attack. Far too blunt and didn't stand up to any scrutiny.
    Its the sort of thing Crosby would come up with i.e you should point out that during his time as DPP he oversaw all sorts of failings, but he would deploy it more craftily. You can certainly infer the Savile by mentioning other cases where Starmer was in charge by using terms such as ...in the wake of...

It could still have been a suggestion by him, but Boris doesn't listen carefully and when flustered comes out with things in mangled fashion.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Ha! Just managed to update Wikipedia before anyone else did
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Bullshit on Farcebook is fake bullshit. Anyone surprised by this, please contact me. I have some awesome bridges, low mileage, careful owners, to sell.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

https://www.dazeddigital.com/life-culture/article/50575/1/instagram-influencers-are-posing-in-fake-private-jets-were-questioning-reality
    LOL, that’s amusing. There was a story a couple of years ago about a guy who bought an old bizjet in Moscow, cleaned it up and rents it out for photoshoots. It’s not airworthy, but they will give you an actor in a pilot’s uniform if you want one!
    https://theculturetrip.com/europe/russia/articles/in-russia-you-can-rent-a-fake-private-jet-for-selfies/
  • Options
    Huge scoop for Spectator.

And we all know who the deputy editor is.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,465
    Scott_xP said:

Not a big one for the public, but it will resonate with Tory MPs. Signs of the regime imploding. Why should they be loyal if a long-term ally like this walks out?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Feck me. That is massive.

She was an absolute lynchpin.
    Linchpyn Shirley
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Really excellent news for the Democrats if there is genuinely a shift from California & New York to Florida/Texas.
    I suspect it's all a bit overstated though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Under today's rules there would have been no 2nd ballot in 1990 and Thatcher would have led the Tories at the 1992 general.

That was then, this is now.

If you can't see the personal anger and animosity towards Johnson you really aren't looking hard enough.

From a political perspective it would suit me if he survived, but as a British citizen, I just want to see this dreadful man removed from representing me and my country on the world stage. He is an embarrassment.

Should the 54 letter arrive, the cat is out of the bag and in the interests of MPs' self preservation and a secret ballot he will be ejected. Now, the bit that should cheer you, are there 54 Conservative MPs with the cajones to send their letters?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not a big one for the public, but it will resonate with Tory MPs. Signs of the regime imploding. Why should they be loyal if a long-term ally like this walks out?
    And over a reason that has made most of them very queasy this past few days. The disgusting use of Saville case as some kind of political weapon by a drowning PM.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

So would I. On a secret ballot, I doubt the payroll vote would be particularly solid. The competent and ambitious would see they could do better.
    The duffers would be onside of course.
    Are you suggesting that the duffers are a minority in the PCP? :wink:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes.
    Boris just blurts out any old half-remembered nonsense when under pressure.
    Remember his "Labour wants to legalise all class A drugs" at PMQ'S during the Paterson stuff?
    It isn't some cunning plan. It is his modus operandi, and it has always served him well.
    Unfortunately, he's never been PM before.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Twat

Too fecking late.
  • Options
    So Johnson's Brexit guru quits over.. covid regulations and his now his culture warrior quits over...Savile. It's almost as if people are looking for an excuse to get out...
    https://twitter.com/elliottengage/status/1489261518927511553
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If you can't see the personal anger and animosity towards Johnson you really aren't looking hard enough.

From a political perspective it would suit me if he survived, but as a British citizen, I just want to see this dreadful man removed from representing me and my country on the world stage. He is an embarrassment.

Should the 54 letter arrive, the cat is out of the bag and in the interests of MPs' self preservation and a secret ballot he will be ejected. Now, the bit that should cheer you, are there 54 Conservative MPs with the cajones to send their letters?
    Assuming the Tories win tonight in Southend that means 55 letters are requured
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So, finesse him into doing a humiliating ferret, then condemn him as inadequately ferrety and walk anyway. I like this woman.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Doing pretty badly when even Spiked are deserting.
  • Options
    Munira Mirza makes clear that she quit because Boris Johnson would not apologise. Traits that kept him afloat for years are now the very things which are undermining his premiership
    https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1489262242902142976
    https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1489259879361482760
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

He has no real loyalists group apart from a few useless cabinet ministers who know they would be nowhere near office under another leader. He has no faction. If there is a Johnsonism then it is not what most conservative MPs want to do in office as far as I can see e.g. NI tax
    I set a lot of store by HYUFD's understanding of the internal machinations of the Conservative Party.
    But nevertheless I think Boris will lose a VONC. Alistair Meeks's spreadsheet is the clincher - there simply aren't that many prepared to be obviously supportive any more. Meanwhile, he's mired in a police investigation and each opinion poll about him is worse than the last.
    He does still have the marginal support, it seems, of 2019 Con voters. But 2019 Con voters don't get a vote in the VONC.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's an interesting point which got some minor discussion this morning but nowhere near an answer: at what point would Anna Frith become a member of the PCP, therefore becoming eligibel to send a letter but also (as you note) increasing the requirement? I'd guess it's when she swears the oath or affirms, but it's only a guess.
  • Options
    Moral courage from Munira who has done her best to make progress with a professional team throughout the horror since 11/20. It's also an unmistakeable signal the bunker is collapsing & *this PM is finished*.
    Flicker of moral courage from Cabinet & Cabinet Office asap please

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1489262007043850243
  • Options
    If Saville is the thing that finally topples BoZo, that would be hilarious
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thought that only balanced out the Wakeford defection?
  • Options
    Partygate/Savile resignations:
    Allegra Stratton
    Munira Mirza

https://twitter.com/silvesterldn/status/1489261638314201097

The women walk, the men cower...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,401
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Under today's party leadership rules there would have been no 2nd ballot in 1990 and Thatcher would have led the Tories at the 1992 general election.

You are transfixed in history and at best deluded but his actions since Paterson have sealed his fate and sadly is causing serious damage to the conservative party

You seem to be content with the wallpaper and party's while the country suffered together with all the lies and trashed international reputation and surprisingly profess to follow Christian values
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_xP said:

Can it really be that she has resigned because Boris Johnson lied?
    Where has she been for the rest of his life?
    No 10 reorganisations were up coming as well. Perhaps that was the reason why.

Will the other communists follow suit or are they still loyal? If they go what next? Will he go for Insulate Britain or Ref**k cronies?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Twat

Too fecking late.
    No, not too late, but too unapologetically

"You tried to clarify your position today but, despite my urging, you did not apologise for the misleading impression you gave.’"
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    Cookie said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

I set a lot of store by HYUFD's understanding of the internal machinations of the Conservative Party.
    But nevertheless I think Boris will lose a VONC. Alistair Meeks's spreadsheet is the clincher - there simply aren't that many prepared to be obviously supportive any more. Meanwhile, he's mired in a police investigation and each opinion poll about him is worse than the last.
    He does still have the marginal support, it seems, of 2019 Con voters. But 2019 Con voters don't get a vote in the VONC.
    Interesting - I also set a lot of stock by HYUFD on how the Tory party thinks.
    But Meeks' spreadsheet shows that those supportive of Johnson are growing in number over time, while hostiles are steady.

Let's remember - Theresa May won a confidence vote. Boris is surely more popular.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If Saville is the thing that finally topples BoZo, that would be hilarious

Yes. Some irony if he brings down a PM he wasn't on intimate terms with.
  • Options
    Via Ed Conways twitter feed, it does look as if the BoE forecasters haven't got a great track record on inflation:

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

Indeed

Paywall, I’m afraid

Really excellent news for the Democrats if there is genuinely a shift from California & New York to Florida/Texas.
    I suspect it's all a bit overstated though.
    The ones leaving aren't hardcore Democrat voters, and they certainly aren't people delighted by the prospect of their new homes flipping from Republican to Democrat control in the long term.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

I heard the accusation on Monday during the debate and thought it was political genius from Johnson. Associating Starmer with Saville, I thought what could possibly go wrong for Johnson?

I owe @Heathener in particular my humblest felicitations.

If it isn't over now, I'm a Dutchman!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fair enough. Mind you, after Munira Mirza 's resignation, I don't suppose it makes much difference now.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Big blow for Boris Johnson. No 10 policy chief Munira Mirza, at his side since City Hall, quits over Jimmy Savile slur: “This was not the usual cut & thrust of politics; it was an inappropriate & partisan reference to a horrendous case of child sex abuse.”....Mirza was one of few aides from Johnson’s City Hall days who stuck with him throughout. He is said to find it hard to trust advisors - but she was one of the few he did. With her departure, that circle has grown smaller still.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1489262472762511365?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I heard the accusation on Monday during the debate and thought it was political genius from Johnson. Associating Starmer with Saville, I thought what could possibly go wrong for Johnson?

I owe @Heathener my humblest felicitations.

No more Ay Carumba!? more Oop Holland?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,168
    edited February 2022
    BAFTA nominations are weird. Dune got 11 nominations (including Best Picture), but Villeneuve didn't get a Best Direction's nomination. It's like declaring a painting a masterpiece but not thinking the painter deserves any recognition.
    No Branagh for Best Director nor Garfield for Best Actor, either, which is pretty surprising.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1489263223790465027?s=20&t=yerOthBZoXfQ7b1KvzGgxA

Pretty soon there will be a mad scramble & ministers will be kicking themselves hitting their heads saying 'WHY didnt i move faster arghhh'.

Nows your moment, find a flicker of moral courage & 'push what is falling'
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting - I also set a lot of stock by HYUFD on how the Tory party thinks.
    But Meeks' spreadsheet shows that those supportive of Johnson are growing in number over time, while hostiles are steady.

Let's remember - Theresa May won a confidence vote. Boris is surely more popular.
    In some ways they're similar - neither particularly "clubbable" with no great group of followers.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1489263223790465027?s=20&t=yerOthBZoXfQ7b1KvzGgxA

Pretty soon there will be a mad scramble & ministers will be kicking themselves hitting their heads saying 'WHY didnt i move faster arghhh'.

Rishi has a press conference in a couple of hours...
  • Options
    Moral courage from Munira who has done her best to make progress with a professional team throughout the horror since 11/20. It's also an unmistakeable signal the bunker is collapsing & *this PM is finished*.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1489262007043850243?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595
    edited February 2022
    Munira Mirza's resignation is very bad news for the PM. Although unheard of by the public, she's a key figure in formulating policy and ensuring that the Tories tread their way to winning the culture war.

But it's also very good news for Starmer, who can now rightly shout nonsense at anybody who pursues the Savile link.

Next PMQs: Starmer: "Does the PM agree with his former Head of Policy?"
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It all comes down to the prevailing narrative. If Boris had been on the up, it would have been seen generally as political genius, so it would have been.
  • Options
    If there is a VONC vote the Tories would be best positioned if it is decisively in favour of resign. I think they will realise that.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

#MeToo - I told you the Savile thing would backfire on him!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

Rishi has a press conference in a couple of hours...
    A resignation over Johnson's Starmer slur might make up for this morning's pasty tax budget redux.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

The Savile thing turned it from "Oh, it's just Boris being Boris" to something quite different.

The nasty core unveiled.

From partygate onwards, it has revealed the true face behind the character of Boris

Which should mean his future career is also fucked
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

It all comes down to the prevailing narrative. If Boris had been on the up, it would have been seen generally as political genius, so it would have been.
    He only came out with it because he’s a wounded animal. When the chips are down you see the stripped back character therein. And it’s not half as fun as he would have had us believe.
  • Options
    State of play last time asked (2020):

Britons oppose simplifying the legal process of changing genders
    Following a brief explanation of what the current requirements are for someone to legally change their gender (exact wording can be seen in the chart below), by 47% to 28% Britons tended to think that this process should not be made easier. While they are pro-transgender rights on most of the other topics, on this subject Lib Dem and Remain voters, women and 25-49 year olds tend to oppose making the legal process easier......

People tend to be fine with transgender people using facilities for their new gender, but not if they have not undergone gender reassignment surgery
    Despite being such a prominent battleground in the trans-rights debate, Britons tend to support transgender people using their new gender’s toilet (46-49% vs 28-30% opposed) and changing rooms (42-45% vs 32-34% opposed).

It is worth noting, however, that Britons do not support such access for those who have not yet undergone gender reassignment surgery. By 41-46% to 26-30% people oppose those who have not physically transitioned being able to use their new gender’s changing rooms. Likewise, 39-41% oppose them being able to use their new gender’s toilets, compared to 31-32% who are in support.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/07/16/where-does-british-public-stand-transgender-rights
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

Indeed you did. @Ishmael_Z did too.

Big Dog is done for.
  • Options
    I note also that in Mirza's brief resignation letter she states "this was not the usual cut and thrust of politics".

I'm sure this is a deliberate dig at Raab, who in an interview the other day used exactly that phrase to shrug off criticism of BJ's Savile comment.
  • Options

Following a brief explanation of what the current requirements are for someone to legally change their gender (exact wording can be seen in the chart below), by 47% to 28% Britons tended to think that this process should not be made easier. While they are pro-transgender rights on most of the other topics, on this subject Lib Dem and Remain voters, women and 25-49 year olds tend to oppose making the legal process easier......

People tend to be fine with transgender people using facilities for their new gender, but not if they have not undergone gender reassignment surgery
    Despite being such a prominent battleground in the trans-rights debate, Britons tend to support transgender people using their new gender’s toilet (46-49% vs 28-30% opposed) and changing rooms (42-45% vs 32-34% opposed).

It is worth noting, however, that Britons do not support such access for those who have not yet undergone gender reassignment surgery. By 41-46% to 26-30% people oppose those who have not physically transitioned being able to use their new gender’s changing rooms. Likewise, 39-41% oppose them being able to use their new gender’s toilets, compared to 31-32% who are in support.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/07/16/where-does-british-public-stand-transgender-rights

The population are collectively wiser than many politicians on this topic.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_xP said:

Can it really be that she has resigned because Boris Johnson lied?
    Where has she been for the rest of his life?
    A river in Egypt? :wink:
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Big Dog is done for.
    It is beginning to speed up.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367

Scott_xP said:

Big Dog is done for.
    You're all over the place on this!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Fck me, when your behaviour is beyond the pale even for an RCP member and Spiked contributor.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367
    edited February 2022

The population are collectively wiser than many politicians on this topic.
    The opposite imo. They aren't thinking it through properly and are hampered by a poor understanding of the issue.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1489262007043850243?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA

Yes - this is a big hit.

• Options
    The long game of the Revolutionary Communist Party finally reaches fruition as they bring down a Tory PM.
    https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1489264196571189252
This discussion has been closed.