Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Daily Mirror: David Miliband to quit as an MP to take chari

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Daily Mirror: David Miliband to quit as an MP to take charity job in New Yor

David Miliband’s South Shield seats looks rock solid. Ukp didn’t contest @ #GE2010. See result. twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/st…

Read the full story here

Comments

• samsam Posts: 727
    edited March 2013
    Im going 8/13 Con 6/5 UKIP in a match bet... any takers?

EDIT: First to comment on this thread, first in the world to offer a price on this market!
  • Now that Girls Aloud have split up, perhaps Cheryl Cole may wish to stand as the Labour candidate in South Shields.
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Scotland gone two goals down to Serbia. I blame Westminster rule.
  • David Milliband throwing the towel in? Let's hope his diplomacy skills have improved, if he's gonna work for the IRC.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2013
    30% of the electorate voted Labour in 2010: 52.0% on a 57.7% turnout.

I don't think UKIP can win but they might put up a surprisingly good showing as the Con and LD votes collapse to deposit-losing territory. Both of them are likely to receive around 5% IMO.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Now that Girls Aloud have split up, perhaps Cheryl Cole may wish to stand as the Labour candidate in South Shields.

There would be an awful lot of competition from the vast majority of Little Minx.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Hillary Clinton starting her own foundation?
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    A big loss to the Labour party & British politics.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911

Now that Girls Aloud have split up, perhaps Cheryl Cole may wish to stand as the Labour candidate in South Shields.

You mean she would Call the Shots?

:)

• There's two ways to read this.

1) David Miliband has realised that Ed is on course for a handsome majority and thus Labour won't want him as Leader and he doesn't want to serve under his brother

or

2) First Milburn, then Purnell now David M, the Blairties in Parliament are less spotted than a Scottish Tory and realise that Labour are more left leaning than they have been in recent years.

and finally, David M must regret not following James Purnell's lead in June 2009
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, quite.

Slightly surprised by this. Oh well. At least brother Ed will have Balls for company.
  • Now that Girls Aloud have split up, perhaps Cheryl Cole may wish to stand as the Labour candidate in South Shields.

You mean she would Call the Shots?

:)

I'm sure she'll Jump at the chance to stand.
    edited March 2013
    "This is 29 Acacia Road. And this is David - the schoolboy who leads an amazing double life. For when David eats a banana, an amazing transformation occurs!

David IS Bananaman, ever alert for the call to action!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2KXudEjkI
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @marcfairclough: Wonder if anyone will ask whether David Miliband was 'struggling' to balance work and family life, à la @LouiseMensch...?

@LouiseMensch: I do very much look forward to all those critical of mid-term resignations for any cause, even family, being consistent
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 5m
    David Miliband plans to quit as an MP for "big international job based in New York", close friend confirms to BBC

Edward Mayes ‏@eljmayes 5m
    So Ed Miliband has effectively ended his brother's career- not sure how the Labour leader spins that.

After all the criticism that Louise Mensch got on this site for stepping down to head to New York to be with her husband, I wonder if the same posters will direct the same criticism at David Miliband for heading off to New York and pastures new?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So the man Labour members and MPs wanted as leader wont even be an MP at the GE.

I guess thats something else they have in common with the LDs - pact on.
  • I owe an apology to the two Peters and Lucian.

Backing Monty for SPOTY wasn't such a laughable idea, and I shouldn't have pooh-poohed it.

His performance this morning, wow.

That dive
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Will his brother tell him that he leaves without rancour...
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Serial rapists have never been brought to justice because the police didn't follow up on evidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21925205

Slightly less important than the Telegraph putting up a paywall.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited March 2013
    As AndyJS posted, the turnout in the last few elections in S Shields has been hovering around the 50% mark. Suggests there are a lot of people who haven't voted for a while.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, duplicate.

I wonder if David bothered to tell the dear leader before this leaked ?

• mosesmoses Posts: 45
    Goodbye and thank you. We will never forget you Ed Milliband.

Backing Monty for SPOTY wasn't such a laughable idea, and I shouldn't have pooh-poohed it.

That dive

The way Monty bowled in this match, we need Swann back urgently.
  • TGOHF said:

I wonder if David bothered to tell the dear leader before this leaked ?

Paywall says he did.

Just for comedy timing, in his Times interview on Saturday, Ed did say about his brother...

"The door is open but in the end it's up to him".
    edited March 2013
    None of the parties had so far selected any candidates in South Shields for the next general election.
    @RedEdMiliband: Ha. I WILL REIGN SUPREME!! TURNIPS FOR ALL!!

That dive

The way Monty bowled in this match, we need Swann back urgently.
    The fact that Kane Williamson outbowled him says it all
    In a slightly unusual move, Dan Hodges posted on the bad news for Ed before the news about David leaked

@TelegraphBlogs
    The Left will eat itself – but it’s going to swallow Ed Miliband as it does so - http://goo.gl/58Qhw
  • NextNext Posts: 826
    So will David's resignation rate a Menshn at PM's questions tomorrow?
    @MShapland: If David Miliband can't stomach the prospect of living under Prime Minister Ed Miliband neither should you #nomorehardlabour
    @rowandavies: RT @applejuicesnap: can't wait for all the people who gave @LouiseMensch such a hard time for standing down say all the same stuff to/about David Mili. Right?
    @iainmartin1: RT @PittTheBlogger: Whoever started #Boris4SouthShields - I salute you!
  • Next said:

There is no PMQs tomorrow
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722
    No backbone good riddance to DM.

Labour definitely better off with Ed
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Next said:

I don't think there are PMQs tomorrow.
    edited March 2013
    Effective top earner income tax rate in USA is 20% - David doesn't fancy rEd Hollande levels of envy taxes.

• TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited March 2013
    What's the difference between David Milliband and Louise Mensch?
    Ones a high profile, young A Lister, who's decided to run off to New York, mid term, to do something they want to do more than be an MP, with no thought for their constituents.
    The other likes Metallica.
    edited March 2013
    O Brother, where art thou?

edited March 2013
    I think the closest result in South Shields in recent times was 1983 when Labour's majority over the Tories was reduced to 15.6%:

Lab: 19,055 (46.5%)
    Con: 12,653 (30.9%)
    SDP: 9,288 (22.7%)

Lab maj: 6,402 (15.6%)

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/ge83/i18.htm
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    @Fitalass :

"After all the criticism that Louise Mensch got on this site for stepping down to head to New York to be with her husband, I wonder if the same posters will direct the same criticism at David Miliband for heading off to New York and pastures new?"

It would be silly criticism. Part of Mensch's problem was that she had only been an MP for a couple of years before she packed it in, which looks bad for a number of reasons. At least David Miliband served his constituents for twelve years.

However it's interesting to speculate why he may be going mid-term, rather than waiting for the next election.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    He must really be missing Louise Mensch.....

Either this has been the plan for a couple of years and Ed's known about it all along, or it's a result of Ed's weakness in just not working out how to handle his brother in parliament. Big loss for Labour, but he's looked disinterested for a while.
  • NextNext Posts: 826
    @TheScreamingEagles There is no PMQs tomorrow

Ah. Ed dodged that banana skin then.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    The rule of thumb i just made up out of thin air is take 1/3 from each of Labour, Tory and LD and add them then check if that number is higher than the current front-runner minus 1/3. If it is then Ukip are a contender.

I haven't actually checked this against any actual data or anything but regardless i still think it's probably a *very* rough guide.

As to Milliband - another Blairite purged, fine by me.
    @TelePolitics: Blog: David Miliband would have been Prime Minister… if he'd just been a bit nicer http://tgr.ph/13uEsjr
  • I really don't like MPs going like this. It just looks like a determination to make headlines or to cause a stir.
    TGOHF said:

So the man Labour members and MPs wanted as leader wont even be an MP at the GE.

I guess thats something else they have in common with the LDs - pact on.

And the irony now is that the Labour party are left with two Leaders they didn't want sitting on the Opposition benches, Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown. You would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

• So how long until we see Dan Hodges' piece on why David resigning is bad for Ed?

Before midnight.
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    The only New York based international charity which could justify David Miliband's desertion of his brother's cause would be UNICEF.

Officers of the UN charity are elected for three year terms. This would position David for a return to the UK in 2016.

Interesting.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Looks like the perfect seat for a LD collapse, like other strong Labour areas, but even if they didn't mostly go to Labour, I doubt the votes lost would help anyone contesting it enough to challange the incumbent party. A shame, I like a good tight by-election.

Have to agree with those saying it's not the same as Mensch, given David M has been an MP for a while, and not actively courting a higher job/higher profile for quite some time.
    @IanDunt: It has taken David Miliband two years to make a decision about his future
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Scotland lose again.

Bottom of the table - played 6, points 2.

All the talk about San Marino on Friday and teams that finish bottom having to pre-qualify - well bottom is where Scotland firmly remain!
    Twitter
    Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 2m
    Is there space for the committed Blairite in Ed Miliband's Labour? I joined Labour under Blair. Now time for Blairites to join Cameron?
    Mark Sparrow ‏@MarkGSparrow

David Miliband will be the new head of International Rescue. His first job will be to rescue his brother from Unite.
    TGOHF said:

Mark Sparrow ‏@MarkGSparrow

David Miliband will be the new head of International Rescue. His first job will be to rescue his brother from Unite.

He will fail at that too.
  • This is a Sven match. 45 minutes of good football followed by 45 mins of watching through the fingers.
    tim said:

@fitalass.

Why would Blairites join Cameron, he can't even win majorities against Brown.
    And quoting Mensch makes you look even sillier than usual.

There are no Blairites left in Labour - just Brownites.
    MikeL said:

Scotland lose again.

Bottom of the table - played 6, points 2.

All the talk about San Marino on Friday and teams that finish bottom having to pre-qualify - well bottom is where Scotland firmly remain!

England hanging on against Montenegro about 15 mins left. 1-0.
    kle4 said:

Looks like the perfect seat for a LD collapse, like other strong Labour areas, but even if they didn't mostly go to Labour, I doubt the votes lost would help anyone contesting it enough to challange the incumbent party. A shame, I like a
    good tight by-election.

Have to agree with those saying it's not the same as Mensch, given David M has been an MP for a while, and not actively courting a higher job/higher profile for quite some time.

You are joking?! How hypocritical. Mensch stepped down and moved to live in the same continent as her husband. Ed Miliband courted and found a higher profile job where he will be in charge, his spouse currently lives with him in London.

@HappySlayerUK: Labour MPs when @LouiseMensch stands down and goes to NY "Selfish, should serve full term" Miliband does the same "Good on him, well done"

@DavidLammy: David Miliband a big loss to PLP.Will miss him.Very loyal friend.The right decision however for him Louise and his two boys.Great new job.

@pamela_nash: There will be thousands of goodwill messages to @DMiliband tonight. And all deserved. Big loss to UK politics.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Anecdote alert. I have family connections in South Shields. I would expect a well organised UKIP to come second but there is no hope of a win for anyone but LAB
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    No surprise David is quitting. I have it on pretty good authority that he has never forgiven Ed, despite public utterances to the contrary from both brothers. Given that he is best off out of the Commons asap. I wish it was the other way round, but there you go.
    South Shields is possibly a seat where a lot of the Labour vote is basically an anti-Tory and anti-LD vote rather than a pro-Labour one which means UKIP might do better than expected.
    1-1
  • FFS. Montenegro has a population the size of Sheffield.
  • Bollards, that was inevitable.

The goal against England that is.
    Montenegro deserved that.
    Ooops make that 1-1 - knew I shouldn't have posted just now!
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    I would not be completely surprised if the Lib Dems do not contest this byelection . They leave contesting most of the wards in this parliamentary seat to the old Liberal Party . A number of wards have substantial votes for Independent candidates notably Victor Thompson who also stood at the last GE .and a couple of wards are fought regularly by the Progressives .
    @benedictbrogan: Sad inevitability to @DMiliband's decision to go. @Ed_Miliband was running out of polite ways of saying 'comeback ain't gonna happen'
  • FFS. Montenegro has a population the size of Sheffield.

Ah that explains why they are so good, Sheffield is rather awesome.
    @TimGattITV: England players were clearly distracted by the news of David Miliband #UnlikelyExcuses
    Benedict Brogan ‏@benedictbrogan 59s

Sad inevitability to @DMiliband's decision to go. @Ed_Miliband was running out of polite ways of saying 'comeback ain't gonna happen'
    AndyJS said:

South Shields is possibly a seat where a lot of the Labour vote is basically an anti-Tory and anti-LD vote rather than a pro-Labour one which means UKIP might do better than expected.

I think UKIP will do well but its about as safe Labour as it comes (ex mining town).

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Remember when Dan Hodges "announced" a week before voting closed that David Miliband had won the Labour leadership http://goo.gl/5CaYA
    edited March 2013
    Every thread I post on results in my notifications being filled with responses from Tim, with usual ad hom insults attached. Its like being friggin stalked on this site, and its getting very tiring. The guy even turned up and responded instantly to my post during the middle of the night recently, how sad is that? Its just creepy, and with the advent of this new system, his behaviour and modus operandi is becoming more stark and unattractive. Quite simple, there isn't yet enough meat in the sandwich of the threads here to dilute his continuous bile laden contributions over the last week. Its sucking the life out of the new forum all by itself.
    @ianssmart: This could be a moment that changes history #Boris4SouthShields

Remember when Dan Hodges "announced" a week before voting closed that David Miliband had won the Labour leadership http://goo.gl/5CaYA

Don't think he could bear to come to terms with the union votes that saw rEd through.

• FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Boris will be humiliated if he stands in South Shields.
    Hi fitalass - where do you get your notifications?
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    'David Miliband to leave front-line politics and the UK.'

I thought he left yonks ago! – You mean while he was earning £1/2 million a year lecturing abroad and with various directorships under his belt, he was actually an MP?

How very ‘New Labour’ of him..!
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    TGOHF said:

Effective top earner income tax rate in USA is 20% - David doesn't fancy rEd Hollande levels of envy taxes.

Tax Rate Schedule Y-1, Internal Revenue Code section 1(a)]

10% on taxable income from $0 to $17,850, plus
    15% on taxable income over $17,850 to $72,500, plus
    25% on taxable income over $72,500 to $146,400, plus
    28% on taxable income over $146,400 to $223,050, plus
    33% on taxable income over $223,050 to $398,350, plus
    35% on taxable income over $398,350 to $450,000, plus
    39.6% on taxable income over $450,000.

Then there is the Obamacare tax of 3.8% that applies to net investment income for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $200,000 (for single filers) and $250,000 (for married filing jointly). Thus taxpayers in the highest tax bracket will face a combined 43.4% marginal tax rate on their investment income.

That's just Federal taxes.
  • TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited March 2013
    I disagree with the thought that David Milliband should be treated differently from Mensch. The honour of being a British MP shouldn't be something to be binned, mid term, for something you want to do more, no matter how long you have served.
    Mensch is a pathetic specimen, and D Milliband deserves our derision, also. He's been pathetic since he lost out to his brother, maybe even since when Purnell resigned.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Miss Fitalass, you have my sympathies.
    edited March 2013
    Its not whining Tim, its a fact. I am sick of my notifications being filled with your usual crap. You have a problem, get over it and give this site and other posters room to breathe. You are sucking the life out of the site with your behaviour, and this new forum has certainly highlighted the fact in spades. Go off and have a break, or simple try to engage politely with the whole community on the site without clogging it up littering it with your usual diet of daily insults to various posters individually or collectively.
  • carlcarl Posts: 750
    Doesn't seem like a great loss to British politics to be honest.

He was never really up to much, he just had the hopes of Labour Blairites pinned on him because there wasn't really anyone else credible left from that wing.

Labour certainly picked the right Miliband, that's for sure.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited March 2013
    Hereditary professional politicians from two postcodes in London parceling out constituencies in the rest of the country like feudal fiefdoms.
    @Morris Dancer, many thanks, you are a gentleman.
    @MikeL, click on your avatar and it will direct you to them.
    fitalass said:

Its not whining Tim, its a fact. I am sick of my notifications being filled with your usual crap. You have a problem, get over it and give this site and other posters room to breathe. You are sucking the life out of the site with your behaviour, and this new forum has certainly highlighted the fact in spades. Go off and have a break, or simple try to engage politely with the whole community on the site without clogging it up littering with your usual diet of daily insults to various posters individually or collectively.

fitalass - you could create a new login as a left wing male - you'll be safe then.

• Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    fitalass said:

@Morris Dancer, many thanks, you are a gentleman.
    @MikeL, click on your avatar and it will direct you to them.

Ah but you need to post to see your avatar :-) Hence - test
  • So anyone planning to subscribe to the Telegraph paywall?
    @RosamundUrwin: So has anyone made the obvious joke yet? David Miliband quits politics to spend less time with his family... #sorry

So anyone planning to subscribe to the Telegraph paywall?

Pay to read Mary Riddell and Rosa Prince ? Sure !

@_Jock: Scotland are first to be eliminated from World Cup qualifying groups. I hold David Miliband solely responsible and demand his resignation.
    edited March 2013
    Oh well, 1-1. England may have trouble winning this group.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Just had a look at my profile, wow I've got three badges, whatever they are :-)

@fitalass - don't fret and remember your Shakespeare - "Full of Sound and Fury signifying - nothing"
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited March 2013
    @Fitalass
    "You are joking?! How hypocritical. Mensch stepped down and moved to live in the same continent as her husband. Ed Miliband courted and found a higher profile job where he will be in charge, his spouse currently lives with him in London."

No I'm not joking, and I reject the idea it is hypocritical - it would be if the situations were the same, and they're not and there's no need to pretend it is. Similar, but not the same. It's the context which makes the same action, standing down for a different career/other personal reasons, different. Standing down midterm for your own personal reasons is letting down the people you asked to elect you a bit, but doing so in your first term is much more of a slap in the face.

I don't blame anyone for stepping down from public office for whatever purpose, - good luck to them in whatever future path they have decided to pursue - but my feeling is that the public are entitled to be selfishly indignant at people jumping off early, as when someone asks to have power over us, saying they are the person to represent us in government, we expect them to actually do it, and get shirty when they don't and say 'you know what? On second thoughts, I don't actually care about serving the people of nowheresville'.

If you don't even make it through your first term, you will get more of a reaction against you, and I think that's fair. I
  • carlcarl Posts: 750
    fitalass said:

Its not whining Tim, its a fact. I am sick of my notifications being filled with your usual crap. You have a problem, get over it and give this site and other posters room to breathe. You are sucking the life out of the site with your behaviour, and this new forum has certainly highlighted the fact in spades. Go off and have a break, or simple try to engage politely with the whole community on the site without clogging it up littering it with your usual diet of daily insults to various posters individually or collectively.

It is whining. And it's dull.

Tim's reply to you earlier was milder than most posts on here. By contrast, your response was an all out tantrum.

Who are you to judge whether another poster is "sucking the life out of the site"? Ever crossed your mind that many people enjoy reading tim's insights on politics etc?
    Thanks fitalass - and thanks for all your previous help the other night!
This discussion has been closed.