Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Daily Mirror: David Miliband to quit as an MP to take chari

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,666
    Heh, I see Mike Hancock came with 0.5% and 0.4% of the Tories in his now seat in 87 and 92 (after narrowly getting it in an earlier by-election) - it took a Labour resurgence in 97 for him to finally get it back.

Given that dynamic, if there is a by-election, a labour resurgence would look to be the Tories' best chance, unless they are as tactical as Eastleigh labourites.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Rumor has it that George Rupp's salary from IRC is in the $400k range. Presumably his replacement can expect at least that much.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2013
    I think both Tories and LDs will lose their deposits.

LDs could come sixth behind the BNP and a local independent (which there'll probably be).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,666
    Tim_B said:

Rumor has it that George Rupp's salary from IRC is in the $400k range. Presumably his replacement can expect at least that much.

What?! I know it's a bit weird, as heads of some charity organizations probably do deserve at least that much, if not more, but it still shocks me that any charity would actually pay that much to someone.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

@tim "Mr Clegg’s problem is how to persuade Mr Hancock to resign"

Quite a big problem, I'd have thought.

On the contrary, Richard.

Our Hancock has shown himself to be very susceptible to a well-laid honey-trap.

Maybe we should help Nick by making appropriate nominations?
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    KLE4,

Labour will hold the seat without breaking sweat.

UKIP could get a decent wedge though, I suppose, conceivably. There's a not insignificant angry racist underbelly there, who UKIP are naturally placed to mop up now that the BNP are nowhere. Add that to alienated Tories and the usual smattering of others.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Paddy Power have settled up on the pope having less than 30 million twitter followers

Number of Twitter Followers - Less than 30 million @ 11.00 (Win) £165

Happy days ;D
  • Options
    "have units in London which remained open throughout the week and placed no limits on withdrawals."
    Thats quite funny actually.
    "Yes Mr Gazpromozky here is your €60,000,000 as requested."
  • Options
    5/6 UKIP 5/6 Con the South Shields Match Bet

Where is this !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

What?! I know it's a bit weird, as heads of some charity organizations probably do deserve at least that much, if not more, but it still shocks me that any charity would actually pay that much to someone.

From the IRC web site......

George Rupp has been president of the International Rescue Committee since July 2002. As the IRC’s chief executive officer, Dr. Rupp oversees the agency’s relief and development operations in over 40 countries and its refugee resettlement and assistance programs throughout the United States. In addition, he leads the IRC’s advocacy efforts in Washington, Geneva, Brussels and other capitals on behalf of the world’s most vulnerable people. He regularly visits IRC program sites worldwide.

Before joining the IRC, Dr. Rupp was president of Columbia University. During his nine-year tenure, he focused on enhancing undergraduate education, on strengthening the relationship of the campus to surrounding communities and New York City as a whole, and on increasing the university’s international orientation. He also completed both a financial restructuring of the university and a $2.84 billion fundraising campaign.

Prior to his time at Columbia, Dr. Rupp served as president of Rice University, where in the course of his eight-year tenure, applications for admission almost tripled, federal research support more than doubled, and the value of the Rice endowment increased by more than $500 million to $1.25 billion. Earlier, he was the John Lord O’Brian Professor of Divinity and dean of the Harvard Divinity School. Under his leadership, the curriculum of the school was revised to address more directly the pluralistic character of contemporary religious life.

Born in New Jersey of immigrant parents, Dr. Rupp studied and conducted research for extended periods in Europe and Asia. He was awarded an A.B. from Princeton University in 1964, a B.D. from Yale Divinity School in 1967, and a Ph.D. from Harvard in 1972. He is the author of numerous articles and five books, including Globalization Challenged: Conviction, Conflict, Community (2006). George Rupp and his wife Nancy have two adult daughters, both anthropologists, and six grandchildren.

President of Columbia, President of Rice, dean of Harvard Divinity School, etc.....David M has a big challenge on his hands and big shoes to fill.

With a background like that, you can probably assume that Rupp took a pay cut to take the IRC job.

• Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    edited March 2013
    Pulpstar said:

5/6 UKIP 5/6 Con the South Shields Match Bet

Where is this !

That was me making a ricket

I worked out a formula that might work when there was a con lib marginal using the eastleigh by election as a rough guideand applied it to this seat...

This is more comparable to Rotherham I reckon
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Also interesting to note that Vicky and Liz are join 5-1 favs for Royal Baby name with PP, on for pennies with Hills at 10-1 and 16-1 respectively.

My Ladbrokes Account on the other hand is a trail of Shadsy bonuses...

£20.00 Next Chancellor of the Exchequer Next Chancellor of the Exchequer David Miliband 14/1 the latest loser.

Also Nick P should note I have backed him at 1-2 with Shadsy for Broxtowe...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

We pay our CEO > $100,000, but it's a smaller organisation
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

So anyone planning to subscribe to the Telegraph paywall?

For £20 a year it's actually not that expensive. But I'll see how it goes. If I find myself pushing beyond the 20 article limit regularly then yes.

Just remove the Telegraph cookie and it resets to zero. I do it twice a week.

The Times works because it requires active authentication in terms of a username / password. The telegraph will need to decide between being free or not being free. 20 a month isn't going to work.
  • Options
    Watching a reply of Leinster playing Glasgow at rugby. The ref is a welsh firebrand , real "Indeed to goodness look you" stuff. He's more Max Boyce than Max Boyce, except he doesn't sing, obviously.

I still remember Boyce's rugby tales of JPR Williams and the Pontypool front row in the 70s, and his 4 part series of attending the Dallas Cowboys training camp in the early 80s.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Next said:

@surbiton Remember, this is the Labour Party, not some kind of monarchy.

It acted like one when Gordon Brown was "crowned".

But then they committed Regicide. Shortly followed by Fratricide.

Sorry, just remind me how Michael Howard was elected as LoTO ?

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

I would not be completely surprised if the Lib Dems do not contest this byelection . They leave contesting most of the wards in this parliamentary seat to the old Liberal Party . A number of wards have substantial votes for Independent candidates notably Victor Thompson who also stood at the last GE .and a couple of wards are fought regularly by the Progressives .

That's a non-sequitur. There's no reason to think that any of the three "main" parties would not have a candidate in every GB by-election, unless there are exceptional circumstances. Having a strong local Liberal Party (or Progressive, or whatever) is not "exceptional".
  • Options
    ChutnexChutnex Posts: 1

Maybe a nice seat in the NE for the Blair dynasty to continue....

Coventry North West (Geoffery Robinson's seat,he of the first Mandelson 'loan') is in the frame for Euan Blair to contest at the next GE according to 'Private Eye'.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

I have always wondered why Tories have this thing about Ed beating David. After all, it is not about their party that they should be bothered about.

Could it be that they believed David was a loser and that is why he was "their favourite" ?

Southam Observer, who I rate as one of the finest posters on here, thinks there is an issue between David and Ed. It ain't just Tories.

You don't need Southam to tell you that. It is public. Ed beat David , fair and square. Because he had a far better organisation. Just like Obama beat Hillary. Both David and Hillary just assumed the nomination will fall into their laps.

David Miliband was so flushed with money from donations during the leadership contest that he was employing interns to do charitable work. He should have been watching little brother.
    Little brother is ruthless. He knows how to win !

• Options
    fitalass said:

Every thread I post on results in my notifications being filled with responses from Tim, with usual ad hom insults attached. Its like being friggin stalked on this site, and its getting very tiring. The guy even turned up and responded instantly to my post during the middle of the night recently, how sad is that? Its just creepy, and with the advent of this new system, his behaviour and modus operandi is becoming more stark and unattractive. Quite simple, there isn't yet enough meat in the sandwich of the threads here to dilute his continuous bile laden contributions over the last week. Its sucking the life out of the new forum all by itself.

I'm confused. What does "my notifications" mean? And how are they "filled with" anything? I haven't noticed any "notifications" thingy. Am I supposed to have a thing somewhere to tell me when people have responded to my comments, or quoted me, or whatever? I haven't noticed any such thing.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    surbiton said:

Ed beat David , fair and square. Because he had a far better organisation. Just like Obama beat Hillary. Both David and Hillary just assumed the nomination will fall into their laps.

Ironically he'd have had a decent chance of the PM job if he'd either been ruthless and disloyal and taken down Brown or team-minded and loyal like post-defeat Hillary and stayed in the running to succeed Ed. Instead in both cases he seems to have gone for a sulky, passive-aggressive combination that fails in any situation.

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Worth restating that just 6 additional MP/MEPS votes in the final round would have put David into the job.

He won by 140 to 122 in this section.

146 to 116 would have made him leader.
  • Options

Worth restating that just 6 additional MP/MEPS votes in the final round would have put David into the job.

He didn't "win by" anything in any section. He lost.
  • Options
    I have just received a dodgy-looking email purporting to come from "RCS" (whatever that is) saying
    "You earned the First Comment badge.
    Commenting is the best way to get involved. Jump in the fray! +2 points
    Follow the link below to check it out:"

followed by a dodgy-looking link.
    What the foo does it mean? What the blurgh is a "First Comment badge"?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    JohnLoony said:

I have just received a dodgy-looking email purporting to come from "RCS" (whatever that is) saying "You earned the First Comment badge"

I got one of those too. Do you think they'll mail it internationally, or should I give them my parents' address so they can send the badge there?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I'm pretty sure there were at least that many who didnt express a preference between the brothers (they didnt vote that far down the list). If he had gone to the trouble of asking a few of them for a last preference he'd be on track to be the next PM. Labour got lucky.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    South Shields is to the Tories what Eastleigh is to Labour. Presumably certain posters on here will be watching how the Tories perform there to draw wide-ranging conclusions about how they will do in the 2015 general election.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Great pity about David M. Probably the most articulate and likeable politician around and would have been a cert for 2015. If Ed wins as seems likely it will be down to lamentable opposition rather than his inspiring leadership.

I have to agree. If David had won the leadership I would be a lot keener for Labour to win outright in 2015 than I am currently. But among left of centre voters on here I guess I am in a minority. This news makes me think, again, about how little I rate Ed as a leader. Though much improved, when you come down to it he just doesn't cut the mustard. But then neither do Cameron or Clegg. It's a sad fact that at a time when we need inspiring leadership, no-one close to power in Westminster - or with the potential to attain it - gives any impression of having a clue what to do with it. No wonder Salmond and the SNP are so popular in Scotland.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MichaelPDeacon: Tip for confused broadcasters: telling the Milibands apart is like telling Ant & Dec apart. Ed's always the one on the left
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Ukip might not have much hope of winning the seat from Labour, but getting another second place will help them enormously in the eyes of the press and public as a potential electoral firce
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Wow, I have found a table reflecting those points that RCS has been handing out.

And I am not on it. Where did I go wrong?

David Miliband and me, we have so much in common. Complete failures.
  • Options
    @DMiliband: After a great deal of thought I’ve decided to accept the position of President and CEO of @theIRC: http://davidmiliband.net/2013/03/letter-to-alan-donnelly-chair-of-south-shields-constituency-labour-party/
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Scott_P said:

@IanDunt: It has taken David Miliband two years to make a decision about his future

He was a ditherer in 2009, so some things have not changed.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Do we have any clues about the strength of UKIP in the constituency? Have they been putting up candidates for local elections, and how well have they been doing?

IMHO only UKIP have the capability to surprise. They won't win, but they may do well, again.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

TGOHF said:

Effective top earner income tax rate in USA is 20% - David doesn't fancy rEd Hollande levels of envy taxes.

Tax Rate Schedule Y-1, Internal Revenue Code section 1(a)]

10% on taxable income from $0 to $17,850, plus
    15% on taxable income over $17,850 to $72,500, plus
    25% on taxable income over $72,500 to $146,400, plus
    28% on taxable income over $146,400 to $223,050, plus
    33% on taxable income over $223,050 to $398,350, plus
    35% on taxable income over $398,350 to $450,000, plus
    39.6% on taxable income over $450,000.

Then there is the Obamacare tax of 3.8% that applies to net investment income for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $200,000 (for single filers) and $250,000 (for married filing jointly). Thus taxpayers in the highest tax bracket will face a combined 43.4% marginal tax rate on their investment income.

That's just Federal taxes.
    Thanks for providing facts, TimB plus the state taxes in NY are quite high as well, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Labour now drifting lower with YouGov. First time in the 30s for a while?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,202
    Sad to see DM leaving Parliament. I wonder if he would have stood down if he hadn't been beaten by EM. The biggest disappointment of the Labour leadership contest was that it was a choice between brothers and ultimately a talented politician has now left.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

South Shields is to the Tories what Eastleigh is to Labour. Presumably certain posters on here will be watching how the Tories perform there to draw wide-ranging conclusions about how they will do in the 2015 general election.

It looks to me that the Tories were distant second in the seat with 20% of the vote, compared to Labour on 10% and distant third in Eastleigh.
  • Options

146 to 116 would have made him leader.

Arrogance and a lack of emotional intelligence can be a killer. Ask the Indians.

• Options
    Re South Shields, I think the only thing worth looking out for is the turnout.

Miliband lost about 9k votes while he was an MP and if they pick another metro-luvvie the turnout could go through the floor.
  • Options
    @tim, still flogging your "almost complete nonsense" meme, I see....of course, the Conservatives are in opposition to a Labour government, otherwise South Shields is perfectly analogous to Eastleigh - how much should Labour increase its majority by, under these circumstances?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    Most on here will already know this, I'm sure, but Milliband's wife is American and both their children were born there, so, in that sense, it's a perfectly sensible move: lower taxes and moving nearer his wife's family.

Oh - and a higher salary, larger expenses (probably with less scrutiny) fewer dealings with an intrusive Press - and with the option of a secure MEP/EU Commissioner post probably available in the future, if this move goes pear-shaped.

And it took him two years to make this decision? No wonder his period as FSec was such a rip-roaring success.
  • Options
    Miliband does not start his new job until September - I wonder if this will affect the by-election timing?
  • Options

It looks to me that the Tories were distant second in the seat with 20% of the vote, compared to Labour on 10% and distant third in Eastleigh.
  • Options
    Someone will be quick with this I know...

What's the lowest ever turnout in a by-election?
  • Options
    I wonder if Labour will follow the Lib Dem's Eastleigh strategy of picking one of their 48 (out of a total of 54) Councillors:

http://www.southtyneside.info/applications/2/councillorsandcommittees/councillorshomepage.aspx
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Millsy said:

Someone will be quick with this I know...

What's the lowest ever turnout in a by-election?

Arrived in Boston five hours ago, so I am somewhat drunk with joy to remember the answer.

• Options

I wonder if Labour will follow the Lib Dem's Eastleigh strategy of picking one of their 48 (out of a total of 54) Councillors:

http://www.southtyneside.info/applications/2/councillorsandcommittees/councillorshomepage.aspx

Quite possibly...

And you found a Ukip councillor!
  • Options

South Shields is to the Tories what Eastleigh is to Labour.

And Labour is in government and the Conservatives in opposition........
  • Options
    I am sure the boy, David will be remembered as much as John Moore in a few years.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

And you found a Ukip councillor!

tim will wet himself - he's a former Tory!

http://www.southtyneside.info/applications/2/councillorsandcommittees/councillorelectedhistory.aspx?id=35
  • Options
    Biog of other South Tyneside MP, Stephen Hepburn:

"First elected to the British House of Commons in 1997 Mr Stephen Hepburn MP sits for the Jarrow Constituency in Northern England.

For twelve years previously he served as a Labour Councillor for the Bede ward of South Tyneside Council. During that time he was the Chairman of the Finance Sub-Committee, Chairman of the Pensions Committee and Deputy Leader of the Council.

Mr Hepburn was President of Jarrow's UCATT trade union branch from 1982-97 and was Secretary of Jarrow Constituency Labour Party from 1986-97. His political interests include Employment, Health, Education, Transport and Housing.

Mr Hepburn received his education at Springfield Comprehensive School in Jarrow and at the University of Newcastle."

http://www.southtyneside.info/article/7885/MPs

I wonder who Labour will select....local worthy, media luvvie or scion of their establishment....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,051
    How will Sunderland football club survive without this generation's political titan?

Register of Members’ Interests
    1. Directorships
    Vice-Chairman and non-executive director, Sunderland AFC, from 1 February 2011, 12-15 days a year, £75,000. Address: Sunderland AFC, Stadium of Light, Sunderland SR5 1SU
    Received £25,000 on 23 June 2011. Hours: 3 days. (Registered 13 April 2012)
    Received £25,000 on 23 October 2011. Hours: 3 days. (Registered 13 April 2012)
    Received £25,000 on 23 February 2012. Hours: 4 days. (Registered 29 March 2012)
    Received £25,000 on 23 July 2012. Hours: 3 days. (Registered 3 August 2012)
    Received £25,000. Hours: 2 days. (Registered 25 October 2012)

David Miliband, a man whose whole career was based upon inherited privilege, was yet another Labour politician more concerned with enriching himself rather than his constituents.
  • Options
    tim said:

Compare and contrast the coverage of Theresa May in the right wing press today with the coverage of Cameron in the same papers yesterday.
    In summary - decisive Iron Lady vs spineless disappointment

The continuing validity of that assessment in relation to the Home Secretary may rather depend on what the Court of Appeal (Lord Dyson MR, Richards & Elias LJJ) says at 11.30 am.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited March 2013
    @tim

Funnily enough the top political story in the (most) right wing press (Mail) reads:

"Humiliation for Ed as David Miliband quits politics for 'dream' charity job in U.S"

But don't let that stop you thrashing around like a demented vole.

• Options
    I expect this position will be easier for DM to get to when he's based in the USA:

" Senior Advisor to VantagePoint CleanTech Advisory Council, from 1 August 2011. Address: VantagePoint Capital Partners, 1001 Bayhill Drive, Suite 300, San Bruno, CA 94066. Payment on a quarterly basis. (£90,001-£95,000) (Registered 22 July 2011)
    Quarterly payment of £23,210. Hours: 1 day. (Registered 9 May 2012)
    Quarterly payment of £23,210. Hours: 1 day. (Registered 3 August 2012)
    Quarterly payment of £23,210. Hours: 1 day. (Registered 25 October 2012)
    Quarterly payment of £23,210. Hours: 1 day. (Registered 1 February 2013) "

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2013
    Is David Miliband's new position as head of International Rescue a subtle hint at his brother expected piss poor performance in the 2015 GE ??
  • Options
    Toenails on R4 "I am as likely to become Prime Minister as a Tory is to get elected in South Sheilds" - cant have got the memo......
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Good morning, everyone.

Eastleigh comparisons are inherently flawed. There the two main contenders (initially) were both parties of government, both unpopular and there was a sizeable protest vote to be gained.

But it wasn't Labour that gained it.

This sees the sole nationwide party of opposition defending a rock solid majority at a time when both parties of government are unpopular. It'll be intensely boring, with only UKIP providing a potential glimmer of interest.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Biog of other South Tyneside MP, Stephen Hepburn:

"First elected to the British House of Commons in 1997 Mr Stephen Hepburn MP sits for the Jarrow Constituency in Northern England.

For twelve years previously he served as a Labour Councillor for the Bede ward of South Tyneside Council. During that time he was the Chairman of the Finance Sub-Committee, Chairman of the Pensions Committee and Deputy Leader of the Council.

Mr Hepburn was President of Jarrow's UCATT trade union branch from 1982-97 and was Secretary of Jarrow Constituency Labour Party from 1986-97. His political interests include Employment, Health, Education, Transport and Housing.

Mr Hepburn received his education at Springfield Comprehensive School in Jarrow and at the University of Newcastle."

http://www.southtyneside.info/article/7885/MPs

I wonder who Labour will select....local worthy, media luvvie or scion of their establishment....

It will have to got past the Relatives Stipend Committee first. There might be people related to the Balls or the Dromeys who need a seat.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    tim said:

Spineless David Camerons decision to avoid PMQs by having parliament rise on Tuesda not looking clever today is it.

Any evidence for that claim?
  • Options
    Footbal clubs and Californians are apt to spend their money on dubious rubbish.

This seems altogether more curious:

" Senior Advisor to Indus Basin Holdings, from 30 January 2012. Address: No 5, Street 15, Sector F-7/2, Islamabad, Pakistan. Payment on a quarterly basis. (Registered 16 February 2012)
    Quarterly payment of £7,560.85 from Indus Basin Holdings. Hours: half a day. (Registered 19 May 2012)
    Quarterly payment of £7,560.85 from Indus Basin Holdings. Hours: half a day. (Registered 3 August 2012) "

What sort of organisations in Pakistan spend over £15,000 for a day's work?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Old Holborn (@Old_Holborn)

:David Miliband echoes his parents by fleeing from Socialists
  • Options

It will have to got past the Relatives Stipend Committee first. There might be people related to the Balls or the Dromeys who need a seat.

I think you'll find that MacDonald's Ascendency has the Blairs at the top of the list, then the Straws.....and the Dromey's, frightful upstarts, queue-jumped last time, so are well back....

• Options
    Bob_SykesBob_Sykes Posts: 11
    Would the BBC and the leftie liberal media be devoting quite so much time to this story if, say, it had been David Davis who had quit Parliament to take up a job in the US?

It was the lead story on the BBC for a time last night. Sense of priorities and perspective needed I think.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @another-richard
    "David Miliband, a man whose whole career was based upon inherited privilege, was yet another Labour politician more concerned with enriching himself rather than his constituents."

You have a serious chip on your shoulder. You should get it seen to.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 897
    JackW said:

Is David Miliband's new position as head of International Rescue a subtle hint at his brother expected piss poor performance in the 2015 GE ??

International Rescue - I knew the Milibrothers reminded me of another family

• Options
    I'm sure Miliband's receipt of £15,121.70 for one day's work with Indus Based Holdings was of immeasurable benefit to the inhabitants of South Shields.

Anyone know what average earnings are in South Shields?
  • Options

I think you'll find that MacDonald's Ascendency has the Blairs at the top of the list, then the Straws.....and the Dromey's, frightful upstarts, queue-jumped last time, so are well back....

My apologies Carlotta, it's just so hard to keep up with who has married who in the Labour o1igarchy. I always think an elected aristocracy, like the patrician families of ancient Rome, should be core to the modernising agenda..
  • Options
    Bob_Sykes said:

Sense of priorities and perspective needed I think.

Since Miliband Sr very easily could have been our next PM, and won't be for reasons which will be well rehearsed in the run up to the next election, I think the coverage has been appropriate.
  • Options
    Roger

I suggest you get the plank on your shoulder labelled Thatcher seen to first.

But why am I not surprised that the site champagne socialist is a defender of the greed of another inherited wealth socialist?
  • Options
    Bob_SykesBob_Sykes Posts: 11
    By the way, have we now ditched Disqus? Tried signing in but it wouldn't let me.

And I can no longer sign in with my google ID for some reason. So have had to create a new OpenID account - is that what everyone else has had to do?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The sort looking to schmooze foreign investors, I should imagine, and perhaps to advise on foreign markets. It is more puzzling what the football club got out of it.
  • Options
    After his nose job, will Ed now need surgery to remove a permanent grin?
  • Options

Footbal clubs and Californians are apt to spend their money on dubious rubbish.

This seems altogether more curious:

" Senior Advisor to Indus Basin Holdings, from 30 January 2012. Address: No 5, Street 15, Sector F-7/2, Islamabad, Pakistan. Payment on a quarterly basis. (Registered 16 February 2012)
    Quarterly payment of £7,560.85 from Indus Basin Holdings. Hours: half a day. (Registered 19 May 2012)
    Quarterly payment of £7,560.85 from Indus Basin Holdings. Hours: half a day. (Registered 3 August 2012) "

Nice work if you can get it.

Anyone know what advice he gave to Indus valley holdings? I don't remember his previous sub-continental knowledge being in great depth.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Big problems stacking up for our blinkered Tory chums going by LBC this morning. Sun Sunday deputy editor - and I paraphrase - "Ed is going to win the next election. Ed has turned out better than we thought, Cameron not as good as we thought".
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Bob_Sykes said:

Would the BBC and the leftie liberal media be devoting quite so much time to this story if, say, it had been David Davis who had quit Parliament to take up a job in the US?

It was the lead story on the BBC for a time last night. Sense of priorities and perspective needed I think.

It seems to be the most important political story judging by the number of pb comments.

David Davis? Perhaps. Check back to when he unexpectedly resigned. Boris? Almost certainly.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    @Alabbrooke."My apologies Carlotta, it's just so hard to keep up with who has married who in the Labour o1igarchy. I always think an elected aristocracy, like the patrician families of ancient Rome, should be core to the modernising agenda.."

You're so right. It's so much easier with the Tories....

Samantha Cameron (nee Sheffield).

Cameron is the elder daughter of Sir Reginald Adrian Berkeley Sheffield, 8th Baronet[5] (a landowner descended from King Charles II of England) and his first wife Annabel Lucy Veronica Jones. Cameron is a distant cousin of Diana, Princess of Wales. Sir Reginald and Annabel married on 11 November 1969; Samantha was born in 1971, Emily in 1973;[6] the couple divorced in 1974. Her mother remarried William Waldorf Astor, 4th Viscount Astor. They reside at Ginge Manor.

Cameron grew up on the 300-acre (121-hectare) estate of Normanby Hall,[7] five miles (8 km) north of Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire. Her family also owns a large Yorkshire estate called Sutton Park......
  • Options

I'm sure Miliband's receipt of £15,121.70 for one day's work with Indus Based Holdings was of immeasurable benefit to the inhabitants of South Shields.

Anyone know what average earnings are in South Shields?

http://www.southtyneside.info/chttphandler.ashx?id=12147&p=0

"The average gross annual salary for jobs based in the Borough is £18,381. This is below the Tyne & Wear and regional averages and just 86% of the national figure."
  • Options
    Roger said:

@another-richard
    "David Miliband, a man whose whole career was based upon inherited privilege, was yet another Labour politician more concerned with enriching himself rather than his constituents."

Some on PB seem to believe that Labour supporters should not be allowed to make money. It's a funny one.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@another-richard

I'm sure David will have a wonderful time at International Rescue. He is the new Jeff Tracy, he can put the rest of his team together from his Labour colleagues: Gordon obviously has already saved the world and Andy Burnham looks a bit of a 40 year old Virgil. Scott ( loads of them ) John and Alan you can pick for yourself.

PS - Don't waste time looking for"Brains" since Labour dropped the role years ago.
  • Options
    @Roger - has Sam Cameron been elected in a safe seat? Has Sam Cameron been selected for a safe seat? Or are you just flailing?
  • Options
    I believe it was Andrea who put up a link the other day that showed there are more Tory MPs who have a parent who was also an MP than Labour ones. But, as we know, on PB we never let the reality get in the way of the myth!
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Alabbrooke."My apologies Carlotta, it's just so hard to keep up with who has married who in the Labour o1igarchy. I always think an elected aristocracy, like the patrician families of ancient Rome, should be core to the modernising agenda.."

Cameron is the elder daughter of Sir Reginald Adrian Berkeley Sheffield, 8th Baronet[5] (a landowner descended from King Charles II of England) and his first wife Annabel Lucy Veronica Jones. Cameron is a distant cousin of Diana, Princess of Wales. Sir Reginald and Annabel married on 11 November 1969; Samantha was born in 1971, Emily in 1973;[6] the couple divorced in 1974. Her mother remarried William Waldorf Astor, 4th Viscount Astor. They reside at Ginge Manor.

Cameron grew up on the 300-acre (121-hectare) estate of Normanby Hall,[7] five miles (8 km) north of Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire. Her family also owns a large Yorkshire estate called Sutton Park......

That would be so much better a retort if she had a seat in Parliament. You could then follow it unto the third and fourth generations - like the Benns.
  • Options
    Roger suffers from a combination of belief in two forms of self-assured superiority:

1) Cultural superiority - David Miliband is the son of a Hampstead intellectual, he is therefore superior to and not to be criticized by his cultural/intellectual 'inferiors'

2) Political superiority - David Miliband is a Labour politician, he is therefore superior to and not to be criticized by his political/moral 'inferiors'

Contrast with Roger's virulence towards Thatcher - a lower middle class provincial Conservative is someone Roger regards as inferior by definition.
  • Options
    @BobSykes

'if, say, it had been David Davis who had quit Parliament to take up a job in the US?"

That would have been boring. What makes this newsworthy is the family intrigue. It's heading towards Hamlet 'but not so bad dear Mother as kill a king and marry with his brother' or Ed metaphorically stabbing him through the arras....
  • Options
    Indus basin holdings seems to be an agribusiness:

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2012/01/20/news/profit/david-miliband-becomes-advisor-to-indus-basin-holding/

I am sure that Miliband seniors knowledge of rice farming in South Shields and collectivisation of the kulaks would be invaluable to them. Well worth £15 000 per day.
  • Options

Roger said:

@another-richard

Some on PB seem to believe that Labour supporters should not be allowed to make money. It's a funny one.

I don't mind Labour people earning money, it's them telling me how to spend mine I object to.
  • Options

Roger said:

@another-richard

I don't mind Labour people earning money, it's them telling me how to spend mine I object to.

That is not a disease restricted to Labour politicians.
  • Options

Roger said:

That would be so much better a retort if she had a seat in Parliament. You could then follow it unto the third and fourth generations - like the Benns.
    Are there any equivalent political dynasties in the Conservatives, LibDems or SNP in recent times?
  • Options

Roger said:

Are there any equivalent political dynasties in the Conservatives, LibDems or SNP in recent times?
    I'm sure there must be. Tim's friends the Rees-Moggs must be worth a look; historically the Churchill's though none in Parliament at present AFAIK ( though Soames might have a connection )
  • Options
    Roger said:

@BobSykes

'if, say, it had been David Davis who had quit Parliament to take up a job in the US?"

That would have been boring. What makes this newsworthy is the family intrigue. It's heading towards Hamlet 'but not so bad dear Mother as kill a king and marry with his brother' or Ed metaphorically stabbing him through the arras....

An hour long BBC hagiography of David Miliband, similar to the one that Boris got on Monday, has yet to be broadcast. Can you imagine the howls on here if a Labour politician had been the subject of such a programme?

• Options
    @Alanbrooke. "That would be so much better a retort if she had a seat in Parliament. You could then follow it unto the third and fourth generations - like the Benns."

Doesn't an auntie head of state (a few times removed) count for anything these days? The Tory Party standards are slipping
  • Options

Roger said:

@another-richard

That is not a disease restricted to Labour politicians.
    No but they do like to spend the most, tax the most and borrow the most. And what gets me most is party grandees who use tax advisors to avoid reaching too far in to their own pockets.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The upside if this of course is that Balls is nailed on to be scote for the GE.
  • Options

Roger said:

As Andrea noted earlier this week, there are more MPs on the Tory benches than on the Labour benches who have a parent that was an MP.

One notable Tory dynasty, of course, is the Johnson family.

This discussion has been closed.