Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Daily Mirror: David Miliband to quit as an MP to take chari

Comments

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    OMG, I also get an email from Robert congratulating me on getting a badge - Help
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @djmgaffneyw4: I'm pondering the possibility that David Miliband quitting as a backbench MP might have no further implications for anything whatosever.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Conorpope: Truly, he was the people's Miliband.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    David Miliband - the man who expected everything to fall into his lap. Labour definitely chose the brother who was better equipped for leadership.

Couldn't he have found something worthwhile to do in Britain?
  • Options
    My two favourite comments on the David M departure:

Never one to be outdone, Ed Miliband considers standing down to run Stingray
    https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/316670916111241217

So has anyone made the obvious joke yet? David Miliband quits politics to spend less time with his family... #sorry
    https://twitter.com/rosamundurwin/status/316655538500931585
  • Options
    And apparently I've just earned my "First Comment Badge" and 2 points. Is PB the latest to succumb to Target Driven Performance & League Tables?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

So anyone planning to subscribe to the Telegraph paywall?

I'd miss some of their bloggers: Booker, Delingpole, West and even - grandad forgive me - Tebbit etc.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    The Sunil on Sunday will NEVER hide behind a paywall!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pay to read Mary Riddell and Rosa Prince ? Sure !

But we'd miss the insights of Matt, Dan Hodges and Matt D'Ancona
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Matt is the big loss of the Telegraph paywall. I expect that all 20 of my visits to the Telegraph website each month will be to see his cartoons.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Tebbit's a very entertaining read, as are some of the others, but I won't be crossing the paywall anytime soon. I don't really know whY I've tended to zone in on the telegraph for articles anyway - cricket coverage? Latent, hidden toryism? - so I'll find some other way to get news.

Not on twitter though, so my options are getting limited.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I never got the David Miliband thing. I must have missed something.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    @Sunil_Prasannan The Sunil on Sunday will NEVER hide behind a paywall!

Is that a threat?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    carl said:

fitalass said:

Its not whining Tim, its a fact. I am sick of my notifications being filled with your usual crap. You have a problem, get over it and give this site and other posters room to breathe. You are sucking the life out of the site with your behaviour, and this new forum has certainly highlighted the fact in spades. Go off and have a break, or simple try to engage politely with the whole community on the site without clogging it up littering it with your usual diet of daily insults to various posters individually or collectively.

It is whining. And it's dull.

Tim's reply to you earlier was milder than most posts on here. By contrast, your response was an all out tantrum.

Who are you to judge whether another poster is "sucking the life out of the site"? Ever crossed your mind that many people enjoy reading tim's insights on politics etc?
    I have no problems with tims thoughts. I do have a problem with his repetition of the same point again and again without variety. I also find his relentless negativity tiresome. He does make constant negative comments about the coalition, but never makes poitive comments about any other party.

Nothing positive to say, nothing to say at all really.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Hodges and Delingpole are certainly comedy value on the Torygraph website.

But no way is it worth subscribing to. The Guardian and BBC sites are far superior anyway, and free.
  • Options
    Carola said:

It was the Gordon Brown effect.

In comparison a packet of crisps looked a better leader than Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    That is right Tim, just go ahead and keep digging with the usual ad hom smeary attacks that fill my notifications list. Its like having to clear out the bin when I come on the site.
  • Options
    @MirrorJames: Do we know any celebrity lefties with local ties to South Shields who could stand @Kevin_Maguire ?
  • Options
    'I’ve never known so many calls go to voicemail as I’m getting tonight… /I think those who knew were expecting this tomorrow' markferguson
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    antifrank said:

Matt is the big loss of the Telegraph paywall. I expect that all 20 of my visits to the Telegraph website each month will be to see his cartoons.

You can see Matt on a decent 'Newspapers Front Page' viewer, which the rather useless Telegraph will still be shown on.

• Options
    Is there any chance the BBC will now stop calling Ed, David?
  • Options
    Anyway, Milliband has chosen the wrong organisation. This is the real International Rescue. He ain't fit to wear the badge.
    ukisar.org
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2013
    2/9 available with Coral on Ed Miliband to be labour leader at next GE.

I generally hate long-term short odds bets, but that looks to offer a little value. The main problem being that Coral isn't the healthiest of companies and could conceivably go bust before 2015.

Still, 22% return in 2 years....
  • Options
    @mrchrisaddison: David Mibliband's quit politics! That's 'The Second Most Popular One Out of JLS Quit' significant.

@mrchrisaddison: Balls, Cooper, Mibliband Minor... What a stellar line-up Labour currently have. They're like an am-dram version of the Labour Party.
  • Options

For £20 a year it's actually not that expensive. But I'll see how it goes. If I find myself pushing beyond the 20 article limit regularly then yes.

• Options
    @paulwaugh: Mandelson tells World Tonight: "I don't think this is the end for David Miliband. I think if I can come back he can. U shd not rule him out"
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Carola said:

Or a banana.
  • Options

For £20 a year it's actually not that expensive. But I'll see how it goes. If I find myself pushing beyond the 20 article limit regularly then yes.

I've become very disillusioned with the Times at the moment, and have been contemplating cancelling it for a variety of reasons, but unless the Telegraph starts using a proper pollster, I can't see me subscribing.
  • Options
    @LadPolitics: South Shields By-election odds: 1/25 Lab, 20/1 UKIP, 50/1 Cons, 100/1 LD.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Next said:

@Sunil_Prasannan The Sunil on Sunday will NEVER hide behind a paywall!
    Is that a threat?

Unfortunately we haven't figured out how to change our user name to The Sunil on Sunday yet. We tried it, but couldn't get Vanilla to save it!

Also without the "like" button, it's impossible to gauge our circulation :)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I've become very disillusioned with the Times at the moment, and have been contemplating cancelling it for a variety of reasons, but unless the Telegraph starts using a proper pollster, I can't see me subscribing.
    I don't see why anyone buys papers for the polls anymore. Any poll published hits this site long before the paper reaches the newsstand. I understand the business case of The Times cancelling theirs.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FPT: Fitalass

You can bet the Labour vote will go down. But it is not quite a marginal. However, more surprising things have happened.

This idea that Ed Miliband is responsible for David's departure to NY is preposterous. What was he supposed to do ? Acquiesce to his brother's coronation ? Remember, this is the Labour Party, not some kind of monarchy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LadPolitics: South Shields By-election odds: 1/25 Lab, 20/1 UKIP, 50/1 Cons, 100/1 LD.

Lol.

Not interested there, personally! But politically, who might fancy being dropped into a safe as houses Labour seat? JK Rowling?!
  • Options

I don't see why anyone buys papers for the polls anymore. Any poll published hits this site long before the paper reaches the newsstand. I understand the business case of The Times cancelling theirs.
    One of the reasons I subscribed to the Times was for the Populus polls, for myself, and for PBers.

It allowed myself and OGH to get a feel for the details of the poll before the story hit the news stands.

The iPad app update really has buggered up the Times, and that the fact the Sunday Times website doesn't update now until after midnight is also a frustration.

But I think I'll keep my Times sub for the Sunday YouGov and the Scotland Mori polling.
  • Options
    Commies don't have an independent morality they judge their political idealogy by. Their political idealogy is their morality hence hypocrisy doesn't bother them at all (except if it makes them look bad to the public) - because to them they're not being hypocritical, they're consistently following their political idealogy (which is their morality).

If you understand where it comes from then it's easier not to get drained by the double standards.

nb commie is a personality type
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    Scott_P

'Truly, he was the people's Miliband.'

Hilarious,the former Foreign Secretary that was a national embarrassment and chickened out of challenging Brown,will best be remembered as banana man.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    antifrank said:

David Miliband - the man who expected everything to fall into his lap. Labour definitely chose the brother who was better equipped for leadership.

Couldn't he have found something worthwhile to do in Britain?

He came so close - had he challenged Brown in 2009 he would probably have become Prime Minister and could well have kept Labour in power. But he hesitated - a catastrophic error of judgement which has now proved fatal to his political career. He would not have made a good leader of the opposition - he would have found it much more difficult than Ed to distance himself from Iraq and been much less inclined to take on Murdoch.
  • Options

I don't think any of our daily papers merit £2.00 pa yet alone for a shorter period.

Telegraph is moribund filled with bile and stupidity that lacks any balance or objectivity.

Guardian is as good as the Telegraph.

The Times seems to have improved marginally, but as it is owned by Murdoch I won't buy it (my Murdoch boycott dates back some 30 odd years, so no sky here).

Mail, Mirror, Sun, Express, why waste either ink or pixels?

Independent is good value, as copies of that will be very rare antiques in a short time.

BBC is too dominant of news across TV and Web.

All in all, not a resounding thumbs up for our news media and delivery from me.

I nearly forgot, Leevson is a dipstick who was out of his depth.
  • Options
    @surbiton Remember, this is the Labour Party, not some kind of monarchy.

It acted like one when Gordon Brown was "crowned".

But then they committed Regicide. Shortly followed by Fratricide.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Maybe a nice seat in the NE for the Blair dynasty to continue....
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Krugman: " Cyprus should leave the euro. Now."

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/

Those bloody uneducated, right-wing eurosceptics, eh?
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

fitalass said:

@Morris Dancer, many thanks, you are a gentleman.
    @MikeL, click on your avatar and it will direct you to them.

Ah but you need to post to see your avatar :-) Hence - test
    Click on anyone's avatar and then yours will be in the bar on the top - you can then click on that.
  • Options

Carola said:

My mate worked for Brown (and at one point for Prezzer). Through her I got to know someone who worked for DaveM. Both at the time of the yes/no coup.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Can i interest anyone in a D Miliband next chancellor betslip ;) ?
  • Options

Maybe a nice seat in the NE for the Blair dynasty to continue....

Possible, although i'd expect there'd be a risk of too much negative publicity in a by-election so they'd rather get them in during a general election.
  • Options
    tim said:

ITN has a poll with Jeremy Hunt on 13% approval and "support for the govt on the NHS slipping away"

Must be bad media management.
  • Options
    carl said:

But no way is it worth subscribing to. The Guardian and BBC sites are far superior anyway, and free.

Poster likes sites that ascribe to his politics shock.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@_Jock: Scotland are first to be eliminated from World Cup qualifying groups. I hold David Miliband solely responsible and demand his resignation.

Well, at least the Scots can't blame the Tories...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    South Shields 1929 was a cliffhanger.

Just 40 votes in it.

Never to be repeated, I'd guess...
  • Options

carl said:

Poster likes sites that ascribe to his politics shock.
    That's not fair. I like PB!

And the Torygraph is a decent enough paper still, I usually buy it on a Saturday. Just their website is rubbish.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2013
    The main browser I use is Camino and unfortunately every few seconds the PB thread I'm looking at flickers and the page returns to the top few comments. Very annoying.
  • Options
    Anyway, best wishes to David Miliband. At least one of the brothers now stands a chance to make something of himself....
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

South Shields 1929 was a cliffhanger

As opposed to nearby Hartlepool, which was a monkeyhanger....
  • Options
    Ladbrokes market up:

Lab 1.04
    UKIP 21
    Con 51
    LD 101
    BNP 101

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Politics-c110000037
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The main browser I use is Camino and unfortunately every few seconds the PB thread I'm looking at flickers and the page returns to the top few comments. Very annoying.

Try clicking on someone's icon, then go to the discussions link at the top.

If you read the discussions there, they are shown differently and may work for you.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    By-election selections are never AWS as men candidates are always able to apply. The NEC panel in charge can judge, in their divine design, that they are crap or unsuitable and shortlist just women. It happened in Rotherham. But I can't remember another recent occasation.

Not that everyone has asked it or mentioned it. Good for you. I see you are learning unlike some papers
  • Options
    I have always wondered why Tories have this thing about Ed beating David. After all, it is not about their party that they should be bothered about.

Could it be that they believed David was a loser and that is why he was "their favourite" ?
  • Options
    New Labour politician gets a taste for the high life, international jet setting, private limos and the glory of being on a global stage. We're supposed to congratulate this guy?
  • Options
    @Next

Thanks, I'll try it.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    5/6 UKIP 5/6 Con the South Shields Match Bet

Paddy Power go 2/5 no pre election pact between UKIP & Cons.. surely a good bet at admittedly untempting odds...

• Options
    tim said:

ITN has a poll with Jeremy Hunt on 13% approval and "support for the govt on the NHS slipping away"

And yet the Tories bang on about South Staffordshire. Anytime the NHS is in the news, it is bad for the Tories. They should know that.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Surbiton, I think the Tories mainly preferred David they agreed with him more, and subconsciously (as all men are want to do) that biased their idea of which it would have been best for Labour to pick.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I have always wondered why Tories have this thing about Ed beating David. After all, it is not about their party that they should be bothered about.

Could it be that they believed David was a loser and that is why he was "their favourite" ?

Southam Observer, who I rate as one of the finest posters on here, thinks there is an issue between David and Ed. It ain't just Tories.

• Options

New Labour politician gets a taste for the high life, international jet setting, private limos and the glory of being on a global stage. We're supposed to congratulate this guy?

He is simply following in the footsteps of another New Labourite !

• Options
    edited March 2013
    O/T:

If anyone can spot anyone missing from this list of candidates selected for the next general election, I'd be interested to know so I can put them on. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dFkzTjFrRmJRN3F6ODBTTEs4NGFhcUE#gid=0
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited March 2013
    Miliband D has some big shoes to fill....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Erik_Rupp

Charity Navigator gives IRC 4 stars - the top rating. Their admin costs are 5% of donations. That is impressive.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Cameroon = Blairite.
    Blairite = Cameroon.
  • Options
    Interesting comment from MarkSenior on VoteUK:
    "I have no inside information but it is possible that the Lib Dems will not contest the byelection . They may leave it to the old Liberal Party as they do most of the wards in this parliamentary seat at local elections . There is also the Progressives who have won one ward in the very recent past and a number of Independents who have also been elected in recent years in some of the wards":
    http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/1645/page/1/south-shields#page=4#ixzz2Ogn9Q4mN
  • Options
    2012 locals in South Shields

Beacon and Bents: Lab 43.48% Ind Khan 35.6% Con 6.72% Ind 5.71% BNP 4.77% Lib 1.94% Ind 1.79%
    Biddick and All Saints: Lab 67.4% Ind 17.85% BNP 6.01% Con 4.41% Lib 4.29%
    Cleadon Park: Lab 45.89% Ind 44.71% Con 9.4%
    Harton: Lab 59.53% Progressives 26.43% Con 9.96% Lib 4.08%
    Horsley Hill: Lab 53.28% Ind 36.31% Con 7.72% Lib 2.69%
    Simonside and Rekendyke: Lab 64.74% Lib 12.72 BNP 11.43% Con 11.1%
    West Park: Lab 49.66 Progressives 34.35% Con 10.05% Green 5.94
    Westoe: Lab 47.25 Ind 29.8 Con 12.36 Prog 7.7 Lib 2.89
    Whitburn and Marsden: Lab 76.19 Con 23.81
    Whiteleas: Lab 56.26 Ind 30.08 BNP 8.81 Ind 5.9 Con 2.95
  • Options
    Dan Hodges on Newsnight...
  • Options
    Beacon, Horsley Hill, Westoe and Whitelass were Lab gains from Ind; Harton and West Park gains from Progressives.
  • Options
    South Shields Match Bets SUSPENDED No bets taken!

William Hill ‏@sharpeangle 14m William Hill make Labour 1/16 favs to retain David Miliband's seat, with UKIP 7/1; Lib Dems 50/1; Tories 200/1. #DavidMiliband #UKIP

Details Expand Collapse
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    This is like a classic Agatha Christie novel, the title of which we are no longer allowed to mention.

checks current favourite on Betfair

Be afraid, Yvette. Be very afraid.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Pity John O'Farrell burnt his boat on an unwinnable South coast seat . What he'd like to have happened to Maggie might not have gone down too well in the genteel old age pensioner paradise of Eastleigh but I reckon it could have been a winner in the North East.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I managed to put 68 pence on UKIP at 21.00 with Ladbrokes but I'm having trouble depositing any more funds for some reason because I need to change my payment card and they won't let me do so at present.
  • Options
    Great pity about David M. Probably the most articulate and likeable politician around and would have been a cert for 2015. If Ed wins as seems likely it will be down to lamentable opposition rather than his inspiring leadership.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    test
  • Options

test

test to see if being quoted produces a notification
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to. How are you getting these notifications that annoy you, fitalass?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Milliband D will return to Uk politics after rED has lost the next election or has made the expected horlicks as PM.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer - Are you feeling so unloved you have to quote yourself?
  • Options
    Apparently I've just been awarded the 'Namedropper' badge. Surprising because I've tried to be on my best behaviour!
  • Options
    Roger, I just got one too. Is it something bad?
  • Options
    South Shields CLP leadership vote

David 234 Ed 46 Burnham 6 Abbott 4 Balls 3

Who are the 13 who voted for Andy-Diane-EdB? They should come out.
  • Options
    @isaby: RT @MichaelPDeacon: There's always one. RT @bbc5live: Reaction to Ed Miliband quitting politics coming up
  • Options
    This could be one of those seminal political moments like when Foot beat Healey by a whisker and we then had to suffer the Hell of years of uninterrupted Maggie. David lost to Ed by a whisker and maybe we'll have to live with Cameron until he becomes as batty as she did.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Michael Fabricant ‏@Mike_Fabricant 19m
    So will David Miliband get to fly Thunderbird 5 when he heads up International Rescue? 5 4 3 2 1 #Thunderbirds are GO!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Much to my surprise I have 3 badges.

-first comment. Self-explanatory. 131 people have it, so no biggie.
    -name dropper. Mentioning someone in a discussion (&name). 69 folks have it.
    -10 comments. Presumably for posting 10 comments. 82 people have it.

In summary, I don't feel too special ;-(

Reminds me of all those Robertsons Gollywog badges we used to have all over our jacket lapels.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    I've just been notified that I've won a First Comment Badge. I had previously commented so must be a bug in the software. I don't expect to comment much while Mr AveryLP continues to demolish the lefties on here with his erudite contributions and polite manner - such a change from the bile of some. I miss the "like" function - why take up space agreeing with someone?
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't do charity work if you paid me
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    @Andrea.
    Roger, I just got one too. Is it something bad?

It's the sort of thing a vulgarian like SeanT would get lots of. Yes it's bad!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@isaby: RT @MichaelPDeacon: There's always one. RT @bbc5live: Reaction to Ed Miliband quitting politics coming up

Not by a rugby union kicker by any chance?

• Options
    Hmm, no. of comments starting from scratch makes me feel like even more a saddo. I mean, I somehow clocked up something like 4000 on discus on about 2 years, but much more venerable figures would always eclipse that by several multiples; now, I fear not will be the case.
  • Options
    @Tim

Everyone has their 15 minutes of fame, now it's time for Hancock's half hour.
  • Options
    @tim "Mr Clegg’s problem is how to persuade Mr Hancock to resign"

Quite a big problem, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    In the scheme of things, it looks like a bit of a none story. Failed politician bails out of the back benches to do something far more lucrative.
    I bet his brother actually breathed a sigh of relief, when he found out.
    It's not a game changer, but just shows up D. Milliband for what he is. A bloke who's realised he isn't good enough.
  • Options
    Thinking on it, should UKIP prices be a little better? I know this is a safe Labour seat, and even significant numbers are taken off all the big three, the Lab starting point is so high, with a good local organization according to the postal votes info as above, but the UKIP wave of hysteria, and the prominence of their principle issue in the case of Cyprus, are about as high as it could possibly be short of winning the Euros in 2014.

I suppose it's a matter of do they have the gumption to put even more resources into this one than Eastleigh (for such is what it would take, the task itself being harder).

I think they may attempt it, wasting tons of energy and money in the process, but my general feeling with such levels of support for one party in a seat like this, means they are more unlikely to be swayed even if discontented with the incumbent party; they'd rather stay home than someone telling them the party they've been voting for generations was wrong. (blimey, Labour got 70+ in 1997)
  • Options
    Must be a pretty good chance of LD losing their deposit again I'd have thought. What odds?
  • Options
    FPT
    @DavidL
    "Just remember that if those supposedly organising these conspiracies were half as competent as they would need to be we would have competent administration in this country. The record of the last 50 years suggests otherwise."

That only follows if the primary goal of the conspiracy isn't nepotism. If the primary goal is nepotism then being competent conspirators and incompetent administrators goes together especially in the long term as people get promoted higher and higher up after each mistake.
This discussion has been closed.