Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tory hopes of benefitting from a first time incumbency bon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,718
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tory hopes of benefitting from a first time incumbency bonus depend on first time incumbents standing again

Dudley South was won by the Tories at GE2010 with a majority of 10.1% and is LAB target number 75. On current national polling it is one of a critical batch of seats that Labour needs to gain in order to secure a working majority. Currently Ladbrokes make the Tories 4/5 favourite to retain it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    The only first-time incumbent that we have is Dr Eilidh Whiteford in Banff & Buchan. She secured a majority of over 4,000 in 2010 and has done an outstanding job. So, we would love to see her re-elected with an increased majority.

However, it is far from certain that Scottish constituencies will ever be sending any more representatives to the Westminster parliament. We'll see.
  • Options
    At the time of writing nobody is willing to Lay the Tories at Betfair's Clacton market. A bit odd when there has been such interest in the last couple of days.

The UKIP price has lengthened a touch from last night, from 1/7.

Clacton by-election - best prices

UKIP 1/6 (Betfair)
    Con 5/1 (Coral, PP, Shadsy)
    66 bar
  • Options
    The Conservatives need to work out why so many of their first timers are standing down. Some - such as Mensch - shouldn't have been candidates in the first place - others had every appearance of being interested in politics for the long haul - have any of them said anything - or just the usual boilerplate?
  • Options
    Next UK GE - Banff & Buchan (Ladbrokes)

SNP 1/10
    Con 8/1
    Lab 20/1
    UKIP 100/1
    LD 100/1
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    So eight “first time” Tories are not defending their seats. How many “first time” Labour winners in 1997 did not defend in 2001, or indeed 2005? Or LibDems or anyone else in the last 20 years?The only one I can think of is Martin Bell.
  • Options

However, it is far from certain that Scottish constituencies will ever be sending any more representatives to the Westminster parliament. We'll see.

On which topic, the Telegraph explores something that has been discussed here often:

Far more people are planning to vote Yes than the polls show. That, in a nutshell, is what Alex Salmond's camp believe. And the thinking behind that belief is one of the most important hypotheticals underpinning this campaign.

People are only ever picked up by pollsters if they have a landline telephone or internet connection. All the signs are that turnout will be as high as 80 per cent come September 18 (way above the last Scottish election, which was around 50 per cent). Huge swathes of new voters – registering for the first time or coming back to politics after years of apathy – are not being registered by polls. And the vast majority of them will vote Yes.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benrileysmith/100284673/scotland-decides-17-days-left-team-salmond-believe-the-polls-are-wrong/
  • Options
    A little bird tells me that, in addition to the police, at least one investigative journalist is on the tail of the mysterious egg-thrower. Word on the street is that the guy is not an opponent of Jim Murphy.

If true, this is gonna be explosive.

http://acenewsdesk.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/mystery-photo-of-the-man-who-allegedly-hit-jim-murphy-with-eggs-strange/

If you recognise any of the people in the photos, please inform the police.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I suspect that Chris Kelly's generation (born in the 70s, achieved adulthood in the early 90s, before the "sleaze" campaign tainted the body politic) is the last with a romanticised view of public service/what it means to be an MP

Anyone politically interested born in the 80s and achieving maturity under Blair knows full well what is expected of an MP.

So what we are seeing is a one-time effect as people's illusions are cruelly shattered. A number of those individuals will be brave enough to say: it's not for me.

And good luck to them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

A little bird tells me that, in addition to the police, at least one investigative journalist is on the tail of the mysterious egg-thrower. Word on the street is that the guy is not an opponent of Jim Murphy.

http://acenewsdesk.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/mystery-photo-of-the-man-who-allegedly-hit-jim-murphy-with-eggs-strange/

Surely you mean "eggsplosive"......

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,471
    It is rather difficult to find anything useful to say about Chris Kelly and this phenomenon that wasn't already said by @Flockers_pb on the last thread. A truly excellent contribution.

The problem I see is that the job of being an MP is so deeply unattractive that the talent pool from which ministerial appointments is made gets ever shallower. I am not wanting to make a party political point but the current shadow cabinet must make Ed despair. It is not as if he is ignoring great talents for party factional reasons, it is just not there or not willing to serve.

Cameron has tried hard to undo some of the centralisation that occurred under Blair and, disastrously, under Brown and has tried to give cabinet ministers freedom to run their departments to a large extent. I agree with the policy in principle but it has to be said that it is something of a mixed success. I personally admired much that Gove did but electorally it got impossible to support. The unsuccessful war against the mighty badgers did not do much for the government's reputation either. Lansley had to be abandoned in health although things have improved there under the new management. I still worry about IDS.

The point of all of this is that even getting promotion to ministerial office is not as exciting as might be thought. Chris Mullin's book, A view from the foothills, was probably his most useful contribution to public life, essentially In the thick of it without the swearing. What sort of rational person would want to commit themselves to such a career? And do we want such persons to run the country?
  • Options

If true, this is gonna be explosive..

Pity the "man with the earpiece" turns out to be "the man with the earpiece in the 1st two pictures is the security guard for motherwell town centre… I know him quite well… he had nothing to do with any egg throwing… this is a story out of nothing!

Oh well.....back to the conspiracy mill......
  • Options

On which topic, the Telegraph explores something that has been discussed here often:

Far more people are planning to vote Yes than the polls show. That, in a nutshell, is what Alex Salmond's camp believe. And the thinking behind that belief is one of the most important hypotheticals underpinning this campaign.

People are only ever picked up by pollsters if they have a landline telephone or internet connection. All the signs are that turnout will be as high as 80 per cent come September 18 (way above the last Scottish election, which was around 50 per cent). Huge swathes of new voters – registering for the first time or coming back to politics after years of apathy – are not being registered by polls. And the vast majority of them will vote Yes.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benrileysmith/100284673/scotland-decides-17-days-left-team-salmond-believe-the-polls-are-wrong/
    We are now getting extremely strong signals about what is going to happen on 18 September. A lot of votes have already been cast, and the Yes Scotland databases are looking good. Very good.

I have always suspected that this was going to come down to GOTV and differential turnout. The No campaign has relied far too heavily on the air war (where they reign supreme; social media excepted) and left it far too late in their ground war efforts. They were quite literally *years* behind the Yes campaign in building up their GOTV intelligence.

You can still get over 4/1 on Yes at Betdaq and Betfair this morning. The people that are laying Yes at that preposterous price are either fruitcakes or they are folk that know literally zilch about Scottish psephology.

Remember, if 75% to 80% of people vote then you might as well throw all your tried and trusted polling weightings out the window. Such a turnout is not just very likely, it is also totally unprecedented in modern times.

This is going to be close. I have been saying that for two years now, and nothing I have seen or heard, publicly or privately, has made me change my mind. Both Yes and No should be hovering within a narrow band around EVS. They are not.
  • Options

I'm not saying it's inaccurate, but that website reads like, and is formatted like, so many conspiracy theory websites on the 'net. A particularly poor one at that.

Is the 'investigative journalist' actually a journalist, or just a two-bit blogger sitting in his underpants in an upstairs room?
  • Options

I'm not saying it's inaccurate, but that website reads like, and is formatted like, so many conspiracy theory websites on the 'net. A particularly poor one at that.

Is the 'investigative journalist' actually a journalist, or just a two-bit blogger sitting in his underpants in an upstairs room?
    The link I gave is not the source of my info. I simply put it up to give a starting point for people unfamiliar with the story.

• Options

One of the people I was canvassing with yesterday was there with Jim Murphy on the day of the egg incident and had been for a while. It was extremely unpleasant with a strong undertone of violence on many occasions as can be seen in the Youtube video and Murphy was eventually told to stop campaigning on police advice. Why these idiots think this is helping the Yes campaign is truly beyond me.

• Options

The link I gave is not the source of my info. I simply put it up to give a starting point for people unfamiliar with the story.

So answer the question: does the source of your info say it is actually a journalist; someone who knows journalistic practices and the do's and don'ts?

I'm also slightly concerned that there are certain dangers in the current atmosphere with plastering pictures of people all over the 'net who may well be innocent or uninvolved.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,824
    edited September 2014
    DavidL said:

Why these idiots think this is helping the Yes campaign is truly beyond me.
    Ah, but are they Yessers? The Twittersphere is awash with rumours of MI5 agents provocateur.......often by people stocking up on biros......

• Options

We are now getting extremely strong signals about what is going to happen on 18 September. A lot of votes have already been cast, and the Yes Scotland databases are looking good. Very good.

Based on what info?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Why these idiots think this is helping the Yes campaign is truly beyond me.
    Ah, but are they Yessers? The Twittersphere is awash with rumours of MI5 agents provocateur.......often by people stocking up on biros......

That would be the underrated green biros I presume?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    RobD said:

Based on what info?
    Based on hope and prayer.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pamela Geller ‏@PamelaGeller 12m
    Islamic State’s financier was director of a Muslim primary school: Again and again we see that yesterday’s “mo... http://bit.ly/1wZ6CBA
  • Options

I'm also slightly concerned that there are certain dangers in the current atmosphere with plastering pictures of people all over the 'net who may well be innocent or uninvolved.
    Like the security guard for Motherwell Town Centre, for starters......
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited September 2014

The security guard looks nothing like the egg thrower. Their noses and jaw lines are completely different.

• Options
    DavidL said:

It is rather difficult to find anything useful to say about Chris Kelly and this phenomenon that wasn't already said by @Flockers_pb on the last thread. A truly excellent contribution.

The problem I see is that the job of being an MP is so deeply unattractive that the talent pool from which ministerial appointments is made gets ever shallower. I am not wanting to make a party political point but the current shadow cabinet must make Ed despair. It is not as if he is ignoring great talents for party factional reasons, it is just not there or not willing to serve.

Cameron has tried hard to undo some of the centralisation that occurred under Blair and, disastrously, under Brown and has tried to give cabinet ministers freedom to run their departments to a large extent. I agree with the policy in principle but it has to be said that it is something of a mixed success. I personally admired much that Gove did but electorally it got impossible to support. The unsuccessful war against the mighty badgers did not do much for the government's reputation either. Lansley had to be abandoned in health although things have improved there under the new management. I still worry about IDS.

The point of all of this is that even getting promotion to ministerial office is not as exciting as might be thought. Chris Mullin's book, A view from the foothills, was probably his most useful contribution to public life, essentially In the thick of it without the swearing. What sort of rational person would want to commit themselves to such a career? And do we want such persons to run the country?

How does the UK’s situation differ from other West European countries. Do Germans, French etc, once elected to their respective Parliaments find themselves treated in this fashion?
  • Options
    One of the things I have found surprising, since I of course take all that is said on here by Yes campaigners as gospel, is how few of the people I have been canvassing have been spoken to by the Yes campaign. There were 2 yesterday.

Everyone had certainly had a lot of leaflets etc and were aware of the Yes public events in the town square etc but door to door there is a lot less evidence of their presence. There was some suggestion recently that BT had in fact contacted a greater percentage of the electorate than Yes.

Whether this activity does any good is of course another question but whilst it is clear that the SNP had a major advantage at the start of this interminable campaign my snap shot view suggests that gap has been closed.
  • Options

Surely Five will be doing something? Their concern is the security of the United Kingdon, and you can't get much bigger a threat than its end by Scotland voting yes. I'd be astonished if they didn't have people out in the field trying to disrupt Yes.

As Tony Benn rightly observed, democracy is in essence a revolutionary process. If you are the establishment you can temper the impact slightly by buying the influence of the parties so they are of the same inkling (hence Cameron Clegg and Blair being the bloody same), but what do you do when some Scotch upstart demands a referendum to break up the realm and one of your politician implants has the idiocy to grant one?

A Scottish Yes vote would be like a bomb going off in this country - surely the establishment are out in force to prevent it happening.
  • Options

It always makes me laugh when people in conspiracy blogs start putting things in CAPITALS and BOLD because, I assume, they think their readers are too thick to pick out the important bits. It's one of the signs I look for on the web for a particularly poorly-formed or farcical argument. It doesn't always hold true, but it's a good indicator. (*)

Mind you, at least the blog editor admits it with a "Welcome to the conspiracy!' at the bottom of the text.

It's also because, with a few exceptions, conspiracy theorists do not know how to format their article. The best and most compelling conspiracy theorists write like real journalists; indeed, I think some really are journalists.

(*) Which is why I use italics and smileys on here. Ahem.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

DavidL said:

How does the UK’s situation differ from other West European countries. Do Germans, French etc, once elected to their respective Parliaments find themselves treated in this fashion?
    I really can't say. Maybe Nick could give some input on this.

My vague impression is that they are generally regarded as more prestigious and respected. The collateral damage done by the expenses scandals in this country has clearly had a significant long term impact.

Most European countries seem to have a significant number of ministers who are not a part of the Parliament. They are accountable to it but not in it. We use the Lords for this of course but I wonder if we should think about allowing governments to appoint more technocrats like the excellent Andrew Adonis without giving them silly titles?

• Options
    Charles said:

I suspect that Chris Kelly's generation (born in the 70s, achieved adulthood in the early 90s, before the "sleaze" campaign tainted the body politic) is the last with a romanticised view of public service/what it means to be an MP

Anyone politically interested born in the 80s and achieving maturity under Blair knows full well what is expected of an MP.

So what we are seeing is a one-time effect as people's illusions are cruelly shattered. A number of those individuals will be brave enough to say: it's not for me.

And good luck to them.

Conservative MPs are standing down because they don't like the sofa government of Tony Blair? That might explain Labour's problems in recruitment and retention but hardly the Tories'.

Is it not more likely, as has been suggested here over the years, that it is David Cameron's reluctance to reshuffle that has made it clear to frustrated backbenchers they have no hope of ministerial office?
  • Options
    I don't buy the "yes" campaign's optimism about these newly registered voters. They would need to turnout in disproportionately high numbers, and vote in a way that favours yes more heavily than other voters from the same demographic, to significantly influence the result. The polls already reflect the anticipated high turnout and the fact that yes polls better amongst the C2DEs than the ABC1s. It reads to me like an attempt to boost morale amongst troops who fear there is too much ground to make up. Although I acknowledge that the tone of the yes supporting websites suggests that morale boost is unnecessary and they really do believe they are winning this.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of the things I have found surprising, since I of course take all that is said on here by Yes campaigners as gospel, is how few of the people I have been canvassing have been spoken to by the Yes campaign. There were 2 yesterday.

Everyone had certainly had a lot of leaflets etc and were aware of the Yes public events in the town square etc but door to door there is a lot less evidence of their presence. There was some suggestion recently that BT had in fact contacted a greater percentage of the electorate than Yes.

Whether this activity does any good is of course another question but whilst it is clear that the SNP had a major advantage at the start of this interminable campaign my snap shot view suggests that gap has been closed.

In canvassing of course one speaks to the person who answers the door. That may or may not be the same person each time. Whether as a result of speaking to a political or religious canvasser one goes back and tells one’s “other half”, or other family members that such a canvasser has called I rather doubt.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

David, what polling has been done on this indicates your experience is not representative, but that while yes has done better at voter engagement it is nowhere near as far ahead in this respect as its supporters claim.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Islamic State’s financier was director of a Muslim primary school: Again and again we see that yesterday’s “mo... http://bit.ly/1wZ6CBA

MI5, Special Branch, GCHQ reading all our emails, tweets and pb postings: Why?
  • Options

I don't buy the "yes" campaign's optimism about these newly registered voters. They would need to turnout in disproportionately high numbers, and vote in a way that favours yes more heavily than other voters from the same demographic, to significantly influence the result. The polls already reflect the anticipated high turnout and the fact that yes polls better amongst the C2DEs than the ABC1s. It reads to me like an attempt to boost morale amongst troops who fear there is too much ground to make up. Although I acknowledge that the tone of the yes supporting websites suggests that morale boost is unnecessary and they really do believe they are winning this.

I think the argument in fairness is a little more subtle than that. It is not so much the newly registered voters but people who don't normally bother to vote. If the current estimates of turnout prove to be correct approximately 1/3 of those who vote did not bother voting in 2010. The theory is that this makes the models the polling companies rely on unreliable.

There is also a view that many of these voters who normally don't bother are more likely to vote yes. On my own experience I think that is true. A Labour MSP who was canvassing with me yesterday said it was hardly surprising that some of those we were speaking to would think that any change was likely to be for the better.

The contrast is with the Tory vote. It will be over 90% no but these are people who consistently vote even when it is hopeless like in Dundee West (ahem). They will therefore have been fully taken into account by pollsters.

It's a theory but it seems unlikely to me that the polling companies are (a) ignorant of the phenomenon and (b) likely to collectively all make the same silly mistake.
  • Options
    Whether by good luck or good management, The Woman Who Made Up Her Mind may not quite be the own goal that many claim.

https://theconversation.com/patronising-bt-lady-ad-may-not-quite-be-the-disaster-it-seems-31061
  • Options
    RobD said:

Based on what info?
    Postal voting verification is the usual source at this stage. A criminal offence, of course, for anything to be divulged so Stuart is treading on thin ice

• Options

MikeK said:

Well, for the last part, I'm sure even spooks have lulls at work during which time they browse PB.. as everyone here does... *ahem*
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My vague impression is that they are generally regarded as more prestigious and respected. The collateral damage done by the expenses scandals in this country has clearly had a significant long term impact.

Most European countries seem to have a significant number of ministers who are not a part of the Parliament. They are accountable to it but not in it. We use the Lords for this of course but I wonder if we should think about allowing governments to appoint more technocrats like the excellent Andrew Adonis without giving them silly titles?

It's not just the expenses scandal. It's the stupid meme produced by many that somehow just because a party is elected that you did not vote for, they are illegitimate. The left often say this "We did not vote for the Conservatives!", and it is common in the current Scottish debates as well.

It's a naive understanding of the political process, and one that a different voting system such as PR would not necessarily resolve.

It's the fact they see their vote as more valuable than those of their fellow citizens.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

And good luck to them.

Conservative MPs are standing down because they don't like the sofa government of Tony Blair? That might explain Labour's problems in recruitment and retention but hardly the Tories'.

Is it not more likely, as has been suggested here over the years, that it is David Cameron's reluctance to reshuffle that has made it clear to frustrated backbenchers they have no hope of ministerial office?
    No - the fact that, growing up before MPs were generally regarded as sleazy (which I would date to around the time of Neil Hamilton - whatever happened to him? - and reinforced by expenses rather than just expenses as @DavidL suggests), they would have a view that MPs were respected members of society with something valuable to contribute.

Your preferment point is partially right, but it implies that all MPs are careerists and I'm not sure - at least for this last generation - that that is entirely true.

Whatever the reason, though, we have a problem in that people with a lot to contribute do not see becoming an MP as something to aspire towards (for example - without meaning to imply that I have anything to contribute - my parents and uncle actively disuaded me from becoming a politician; my father made the same decision in the 1960s. If people like me, who grew up with a sense of a public service obligation and a duty to contribute to society don't want to participate that is not optimal)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Stolen Childhoods: The Grooming Scandal - Panorama

Today on BBC1 from 8:30pm to 9:00pm

Panorama investigates why the police and council ignored warnings about the abuse that affected more than 14 hundred children.
  • Options

RobD said:

Based on what info?
    Postal voting verification is the usual source at this stage. A criminal offence, of course, for anything to be divulged so Stuart is treading on thin ice

Luckily, he is beyond the purview of the local constabulary...
  • Options
    Financier said:

Panorama investigates why the police and council ignored warnings about the abuse that affected more than 14 hundred children.

Speaking of which, SeanT's comment on the subject in the Telegraph tops 2,000 shares. - I doubt Panorama will have reached the same conclusions however.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100284604/the-self-loathing-of-the-british-left-is-now-a-problem-for-us-all/
  • Options
    Margaret Curran:

I’m in the business of changing people’s lives, not offering them false hope. That’s why I get so angry when Alex Salmond and the Nationalists dismiss legitimate questions about the currency and our economy. These aren’t debating points – this is about people’s lives.

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/in-scotland-were-offering-what-people-are-really-asking-for/
  • Options
    Coalition locked in negotiations over UK terror plan

"Negotiations between the Tories and Lib Dems are expected to continue ahead of the unveiling of a new plan to tackle the threat of Islamic extremists.

David Cameron will announce steps to widen anti-terror laws once the much-debated package of measures is agreed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29008316

As the polls show that the LDs are still in favour of immigration and the ECHR, are Clegg and Menzies trying to make the LDs even more unelectable just 8 months before the GE, when most of the country are against their policy on such matters.(ST YouGov)
  • Options
    How many first-time incumbents might be standing for UKIP...?
  • Options
    Andrew Gilligan on "Business for Scotland":

Close examination of Business for Scotland’s declared member list shows that the group has only a tiny handful of members who employ significant numbers of Scots, and literally none with a substantial cross-border trade. In other words, it could scarcely be less representative of the industries that provide the majority of Scotland’s private-sector jobs and which, according to the No campaign, are at risk from a Yes vote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11065467/Small-firms-making-big-claims-for-Scottish-independence.html
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    edited September 2014

So eight “first time” Tories are not defending their seats. How many “first time” Labour winners in 1997 did not defend in 2001, or indeed 2005? Or LibDems or anyone else in the last 20 years?The only one I can think of is Martin Bell.

A quick scan through this article [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4698222.stm] finds five that stood down, one became a Baroness, three lost seats in 2001 and one died from the 101 female Labour MPs in 1997.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Based on what info?

Luckily, he is beyond the purview of the local constabulary...
    I suspect the postal vote counting in Sweden is not representative, either that or he is getting second hand leaks!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    edited September 2014

Dave and

RobD said:

Based on what info?

Hmm A Yes vote in Scotland (And the corresponding 40 Labour seats to fall by ~ 2016) and UKIP taking one of the Conservative party's former very very safe seats. (Whole of CON east coast in danger ?)

Dave and Ed may need to ask themselves where did it all go wrong.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Test
  • Options
    Test
  • Options
    Test
  • Options
    OT

For a little light relief, the Fringe's 'funniest' jokes are found at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23753634
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Test

Receiving you loud and clear, old chap!
  • Options

Financier said:

Speaking of which, SeanT's comment on the subject in the Telegraph tops 2,000 shares. - I doubt Panorama will have reached the same conclusions however.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100284604/the-self-loathing-of-the-british-left-is-now-a-problem-for-us-all/

Financier said:

Patriotism is morally vicious. That's why Sean Thomas was unable to quote any of the world's great religious leaders in support of his argument.

• Options
    RobD said:

Blue_rog said:

Test

Receiving you loud and clear, old chap!
    Apologies for that, needed to update my profile and somehow got multiple postings!
  • Options

Margaret Curran:

I’m in the business of changing people’s lives, not offering them false hope. That’s why I get so angry when Alex Salmond and the Nationalists dismiss legitimate questions about the currency and our economy. These aren’t debating points – this is about people’s lives.

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/in-scotland-were-offering-what-people-are-really-asking-for/

I can see her point since she's the MP for a constituency with some of the lowest life and health outcomes in Western Europe. One might ask how the 70 odd years the constituency (or its equivalent) returned a Labour mp helped these peoples' lives. No doubt she'll blame any deficit on the 2 years the SNP held the seat.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,920
    IA

"Patriotism is morally vicious. That's why Sean Thomas was unable to quote any of the world's great religious leaders in support of his argument"

I agree. In fact I found the whole article a load of vacuous tripe. The Telegraph usually does better than that.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    edited September 2014
    Grauniad effectively agrees with SeanT's sentiments on indyref ... (at least in parts! - though doesn't mention him) [edited]

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/31/scottish-independence-yes-vote-turnout-polls
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187

LOL, he was certainly a regular
  • Options
    Roger said:

IA

"Patriotism is morally vicious. That's why Sean Thomas was unable to quote any of the world's great religious leaders in support of his argument"

I agree. In fact I found the whole article a load of vacuous tripe. The Telegraph usually does better than that.

Does he ever write anything else
  • Options

Margaret Curran:

This is the Labour millionaire who claimed to live in the east end, geography is not her best effort but certainly better than her political track record, done nothing but enriched herself whilst spouting blandishments. She would not recognise a debate if she was in it.
  • Options
    Chuka speaks the truth, or at least as he sees it: it's all Gordon's fault:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29004196
  • Options

I have always suspected that this was going to come down to GOTV and differential turnout. The No campaign has relied far too heavily on the air war (where they reign supreme; social media excepted) and left it far too late in their ground war efforts. They were quite literally *years* behind the Yes campaign in building up their GOTV intelligence.

You can still get over 4/1 on Yes at Betdaq and Betfair this morning. The people that are laying Yes at that preposterous price are either fruitcakes or they are folk that know literally zilch about Scottish psephology.

Remember, if 75% to 80% of people vote then you might as well throw all your tried and trusted polling weightings out the window. Such a turnout is not just very likely, it is also totally unprecedented in modern times.

This is going to be close. I have been saying that for two years now, and nothing I have seen or heard, publicly or privately, has made me change my mind. Both Yes and No should be hovering within a narrow band around EVS. They are not.
    Go Yes!

Go Scotland!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of the people I was canvassing with yesterday was there with Jim Murphy on the day of the egg incident and had been for a while. It was extremely unpleasant with a strong undertone of violence on many occasions as can be seen in the Youtube video and Murphy was eventually told to stop campaigning on police advice. Why these idiots think this is helping the Yes campaign is truly beyond me.

Murphy is very unpleasant so he should have felt at home. If he goes about spouting lies in public he should be able to take being hit with an egg. A big unionist jessie.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

IA

Vacuous tripe Roger? So speaks the man, a wealthy socialist who lectures on the evils of the right whilst quaffing champers from his second home in France. Pfffffffff.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited September 2014
    @JosiasJessop Chukka Umunna claims that "The election will be the nastiest yet."

I suppose if the political party leaders keep leeching taxes from us to fund highly expensive ineffective child protection schemes whilst turning a blind eye to allegations about the destruction of files, records, will that be a surprise?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Murphy is very unpleasant so he should have felt at home. If he goes about spouting lies in public he should be able to take being hit with an egg. A big unionist jessie.
    I'm not particularly a fan of Murphy, but whenever I hear his name I think of the Clutha Bar incident last year. His reaction was genuinely moving.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10485692/Glasgow-helicopter-crash-Labour-MP-Jim-Murphy-among-first-responders.html
  • Options

RobD said:

Based on what info?

Stuart clearly stated it was from YES campaign data that he was quoting, hardly thin ice but par for the course on here. You are surely NOT trying to say that the YES campaign are getting postal vote data and spreading it around.
  • Options
    Malcolm

"Does he ever write anything else"

Sometimes yes but this was just a poor attempt at doing a 'Littlejohn' without the wit.
  • Options

Surely Five will be doing something? Their concern is the security of the United Kingdon, and you can't get much bigger a threat than its end by Scotland voting yes. I'd be astonished if they didn't have people out in the field trying to disrupt Yes.

As Tony Benn rightly observed, democracy is in essence a revolutionary process. If you are the establishment you can temper the impact slightly by buying the influence of the parties so they are of the same inkling (hence Cameron Clegg and Blair being the bloody same), but what do you do when some Scotch upstart demands a referendum to break up the realm and one of your politician implants has the idiocy to grant one?

A Scottish Yes vote would be like a bomb going off in this country - surely the establishment are out in force to prevent it happening.
    The problem with this theory is that it presumes some immutable "Establishment" that never changes. The character of such Establishment as we have has, however, visibly altered in the last 30 to 40 years, in a leftward direction. Nobody who in the 70s complained about police anti-black racism would recognise the police in Rotherham today, for example. Ecofascist propaganda is taught to schoolchildren, and the BBC is essentially the Guardian.

Scotland leaving the union is anyway an unalloyed benefit to the remainder of the UK but the chances and impact of such an event are so trivial as not to be worth bothering with. MI5 has better things to do.
  • Options

A more prosaic explanation is that Yes have already fiddled a lot of postal votes and are getting in early with their excuse for the suspiciously high turnout and suspiciously high proportion of postal votes for Yes.

• Options
    Is that you wishing you had one to drain
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    DavidL said:

... on the tail of the mysterious egg-thrower. ...

Jim Murphy's main accusation against Yes Scotland is not that he was prevented from speaking,but he and the public face organised intimidation laid on by sections within the Yes Scotland campaign. Alex Salmond came on yesterday to condemn intimidation in general, which is progress of sorts, but ruined the effect by conflating organised intimidation by his campaign with a death threat against him by a lone lunatic, and saying I don't make a big fuss about it.

The typical attitude displayed by "cybnernats" over the last couple of days is that Jim Murphy gets what he deserves because, in their view, he's a miserable specimen of a human being. There's a massive arrogance to think that you get the right to prevent your opponents speaking and the public to listen, if they want to.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I think the case of a very ill childs parents being treated by Police as criminals, will make the UK look really cruel and heartless. If parents have been driven to take a child from an NHS hospital, because they did not feel they were being looked after properly, it could indicate very poor communications by the Doctors concerned. Now the hospital are saying that alternative treatment will be considered, but I wonder whether they have been made to do this, due to what has happened.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Is that you wishing you had one to drain
    Scottish academia will go the way of the SPL, a sad backwater shunned by top talent.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Financier said:

Financier said:

Patriotism is morally vicious. That's why Sean Thomas was unable to quote any of the world's great religious leaders in support of his argument.

What an absurd argument. Most 'great' religious leaders are in international organisations so wish to play down national identity. Plenty of great men, from Abraham Lincoln to William Wilberforce, were patriots.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

I think the case of a very ill childs parents being treated by Police as criminals, will make the UK look really cruel and heartless. If parents have been driven to take a child from an NHS hospital, because they did not feel they were being looked after properly, it could indicate very poor communications by the Doctors concerned. Now the hospital are saying that alternative treatment will be considered, but I wonder whether they have been made to do this, due to what has happened.

Absolute rubbish.

If an ill child goes missing from hospital, do you expect the hospital just to sit on its hands and do nothing?

If a hospital reported a child missing to the police, how do you expect the police to react? If the police find the boy's been taken abroad, do you honestly say they should not have tried tracking them down?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    KW posting for JackW

The next ARSE 2015 general election projection will be posted here at about 9am tomorrow.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Indeed. The government always wants to increase its ability to infringe our liberties, spy on the innocent population, and spend more of our taxpayer money. Meanwhile they entirely miss things that should have been obvious, like dodgy Islamic school directors and mass rape in Rotherham.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited September 2014
    DavidL said:

MPs are reasonably respected in most countries - you get the same talk about "politicians not listening" etc. but the individuals are treated as interesting people doing a worthwhile job. You do still get that in Britain at a personal level - people still stop me in the street to wish me luck and say I tried to help them 10 years ago, do I remember? (Sadly the truthful answer is often no.) But they conclude that because their local MP or ex-MP apparently isn't a scoundrel, "it must be tough being with all those other scoundrels".

To put a serious response to flockers' brilliant piece - reasons to like being an MP are:

* You aren't there for yourself, any more than any of us bother to vote hoping for personal benefit. You're there because you think your party, movement or strain of thought will improve the country or even the world. A life without being part of a cause is limited, and being an MP you've making a reasonably significant contribution.

* The direct positive feedback is huge. You can help about half the people who come to your surgeries, just by being a well-connected well-educated champion for people in difficulty. They are generally really, really nice about it. Sure, it's not in the job description, but it's satisfying anyway.

* The whole of public policy is open to you to explore. Whatever your interests, you have unrivalled research facilities and a platform to express whatever conclusions you reach. Everyone has partly-baked ideas on what should be done on this or that. As an MP, you can take the time to make them fully-baked and potentially (that's the rub) get them part of what is actually implemented.

I have an interesting job doing something important to me which has lots of travel and variety. If I'm elected I'll take a pay cut again and a more uncertain situation. I don't care.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Financier said:

As the polls show that the LDs are still in favour of immigration and the ECHR, are Clegg and Menzies trying to make the LDs even more unelectable just 8 months before the GE, when most of the country are against their policy on such matters.(ST YouGov)

Actually, if the LibDems say something that 20% of the voters think is great (a fiery defence of foreign aid, say), they will do their poll rating no end of good, even if 80% dislike it. Their problem is that people who want to support them struggle to think of things they're standing for that they really like. Every party needs a few of these - for Labour it was the minimum wage, which people would cling to even when they really disliked something else.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

And good luck to them.

No - the fact that, growing up before MPs were generally regarded as sleazy (which I would date to around the time of Neil Hamilton - whatever happened to him?
    Neil Hamilton stood as a council candidate for UKIP in Wandsworth in 2014. Too dirty for the Tories, but clean enough for UKIP.

UKIP bangs on about change and the LibLabCon, but meanwhile

- welcomes the most notorious trougher of the last 50 years;
    - Farage keeps dodging expenses audits;
    - multiple UKIP MEPs have been done or even jailed for fiddling;
    - Farage and Carswell concocted a classic Westminster stitch-up in Clacton.

It is this sort of thing that convinces me UKIP is simply yet another head of the political class Hydra.

It seems pretty obvious that Farage et al have spotted a gap in the market for a nasty product - a racist p00f-hating 1950s tribute loony party - and have cynically filled it, aiming simply to trouser as much lo££y as possible for as long as possible. Few of their supporters appear to have the least inkling that UKIP are a children's crusade.

It is very much the same thing as the UK Lada importer did in the 1980s - they spotted there was a niche for a manufacturer of second-hand cars, so they filled it with their horrid product. They got away with it because their customers expected so little they were impossible to disappoint.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

A sick child has been separated from his parents, those parents have been arrested for seeking treatment elsewhere, and all of this has happened because of an international arrest warrant that didn't respect traditional liberties or need evidence of an actual crime.

This is the crap that Theresa May has opted into. She's truly a useless Home Secretary.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

On my way to the Rhineland. Just popping by to say what a pleasure it is, being able to count malcolmg and Roger as keen and regular readers of my Telegraph blogs.

Every time they visit, my stats improve, and I make more money.

Thanks guys!

If they'd have just viewed it on Google cache, they could have avoided giving you the hits!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    What on Earth is going on inside the Tory party?

All is not well when your MPs quit defendable seats or defect to rival parties.

Hardly a sign of confidence.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Financier said:

Actually, if the LibDems say something that 20% of the voters think is great (a fiery defence of foreign aid, say), they will do their poll rating no end of good, even if 80% dislike it. Their problem is that people who want to support them struggle to think of things they're standing for that they really like. Every party needs a few of these - for Labour it was the minimum wage, which people would cling to even when they really disliked something else.
    Isn't it a pity that the unintended consequence of the minimum wage has been to depress the wages for many now on minimum and many more who were on wages above the minimum by giving a benchmark against which to pitch wages in the bottom sector of employment.
  • Options
    Stuart

"If true, this is gonna be explosive."

A blind man on a galloping camel could tell you that the man with the ear-piece isn't the same man who is wearing the earpiece!

I've never seen such a ridiculous attempt at a conspiracy since Tapestry thought Martians brought down the WTC.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

hucks67 said:

A sick child has been separated from his parents, those parents have been arrested for seeking treatment elsewhere, and all of this has happened because of an international arrest warrant that didn't respect traditional liberties or need evidence of an actual crime.

This is the crap that Theresa May has opted into. She's truly a useless Home Secretary.
    Again, I ask what you expected the hospital to do in this situation? And the police?
  • Options

Margaret Curran:

I can see her point since she's the MP for a constituency with some of the lowest life and health outcomes in Western Europe. One might ask how the 70 odd years the constituency (or its equivalent) returned a Labour mp helped these peoples' lives. No doubt she'll blame any deficit on the 2 years the SNP held the seat.

Look on the bright side - the SNP Government are copying Westminster and introducing private provision of services :

Alex Salmond accused of 'hypocrisy' over warnings about privatisation of NHS
    Scotland's First Minister is criticised for claiming the health service would be saved from privatisation by a yes vote after it emerged Glasgow's health bosses have awarded a big private contract

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11066699/Alex-Salmond-accused-of-hypocrisy-over-warnings-about-privatisation-of-NHS.html

On "straws in the wind" just had a lifelong and very tribal Glasgow Labour friend come out for Yes - more despite the SNP (which he heartily loathes) than because of it....
  • Options
    Socrates said:

hucks67 said:

Are you sure that TM is the source? Can you quote date and ruling?
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

I am not up to speed on this but one of the headlines I saw said that the parents are Jehovah's Witnesses, who AIUI oppose (eg) blood transfusions. Is the issue here that their idea of "being looked after properly" excludes some significant aspect of the treatment?
  • Options
    Financier said:

Socrates said:

hucks67 said:

Are you sure that TM is the source? Can you quote date and ruling?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23224306
  • Options

Socrates said:

hucks67 said:

Again, I ask what you expected the hospital to do in this situation? And the police?
    Put out a news alert asking for the parents to contact them immediately to let them know what they are doing? Portraying them as criminals and getting them arrested is absurd.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

Absolute rubbish.

If an ill child goes missing from hospital, do you expect the hospital just to sit on its hands and do nothing?

If a hospital reported a child missing to the police, how do you expect the police to react? If the police find the boy's been taken abroad, do you honestly say they should not have tried tracking them down?
    JJ

Are you sure that the child was actually missing or had been taken out of hospital by its parents who were in disagreement with the doctors at that hospital.

On Today R4 this morning, a reputable oncologist from another hospital said that in such cases the NHS often refers such cases for treatment outside of the UK as the NHS does not have the required facilities.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

hucks67 said:

Absolute rubbish.

Of course a missing child from hospital or elsewhere should be reported to the police and action taken , however the child was not missing , the persons who had removed the child were known to be the parents . It was also known that the parents were legally entitled to remove the child from hospital whether it was in that child's best interests or not . Therefore the arrest warrant issued against the parents was illegal and the parents have a clear case for seeking recompense against both the hospital and police .
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,036
    The currant bun on Dave

Tom Newton Dunn (@tnewtondunn)
    01/09/2014 07:41
    "Cameron increasingly looks like a man of straw, driven into ill-considered decisions." @trevor_kavanagh today bit.ly/1qTuNZN
  • Options

Financier said:

This was the logic behind the "party of In" campaign. It didn't work, did it? I'm a big supporter of foreign aid, but I'm not going to switch my support to the Lib Dems when they're so terrible on issues like the EU and immigration.

Immigration is a "gateway" issue. The public need to trust parties on it before they will listen to them on other topics.
This discussion has been closed.