Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How Johnson did in 2021 according to YouGov’s “Well/Badly” ratings – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2022 in General
imageHow Johnson did in 2021 according to YouGov’s “Well/Badly” ratings – politicalbetting.com

It is the last day of the year I thought it might be good to have a few posts just looking back at how the data has changed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited December 2021
    Boris Johnson is the new Gordon Brown.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    So you are saying there was a missed opportunity for another election?
  • DavidL said:

Maybe we will be looking back to May 2021 and saying just that.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited December 2021
    DavidL said:

No, once the ratings end up in the toilet, that's where they stay, at the next general election they'll get a really low share of the vote but the electoral geography saves them from an actual pasting.

Not really. He is not permanently depressed, he is not known for throwing phones around and he is not incapable of making decisions for good or ill. Slightly more depressingly, he doesn't have a Peter Mandelson to pick up the pieces either.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,113
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Not really. He is not permanently depressed, he is not known for throwing phones around and he is not incapable of making decisions for good or ill. Slightly more depressingly, he doesn't have a Peter Mandelson to pick up the pieces either.
    Boris is capable of making decisions?

Can you actually think of any example where the decision made was NOT left so late there was no decision left to be made?

I will grant you the point that Boris isn't permanently depressed but that could equally be a front. Most comedians hide their depression behind a front of public happiness.
    I was going to ask DavidL too the moment I read what he said.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Negative lft this morning so Hogmanay party is on!

Just picked my GF up from a Covid infected ward though, so likely that we'll all come back absolutely riddled.

Horrendous weather as we head up the M90/A9.
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Can you actually think of any example where the decision made was NOT left so late there was no decision left to be made?
    Lots. Recent examples would be not to lockdown at Christmas and to boost the boosters. He is not shy of decisions. Whether he makes the right ones is more up for debate (although I certainly agree with these two).
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited December 2021
    On a lighter note, I'm really enjoying the Guardian's Winter of Love anecdotes - by turns, touching, sad, and just funny, like this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/31/my-winter-of-love-rescued-my-partner-from-rabid-dogs
    eek said:

DavidL said:

I will grant you the point that Boris isn't permanently depressed but that could equally be a front. Most comedians hide their depression behind a front of public happiness.
    I'm actually wondering about long covid in the latter context.
  • For the Boris Johnson fans who are hoping/thinking this is the 2015 GE redux, -37 is the lowest rating David Cameron (pbuh) achieved in that Parliament.
    DavidL said:

Sofa incident? I get sort of Duke of Argyll vibes off Johnson.
    Eabhal said:

Just picked my GF up from a Covid infected ward though, so likely that we'll all come back absolutely riddled.

You are going the wrong way. You should be going to England if you want to celebrate Hogmanay this year.
  • Boris Johnson is the new Gordon Brown.

If anything, Johnson is even more deranged than Brown.

One always had the suspicion that Brown knew, deep down, that he was a fraud, whereas Johnson seems to actually believe that he is the reincarnation of Churchill.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Eabhal said:

Great to hear. Have a good one.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

On a lighter note, I'm really enjoying the Guardian's Winter of Love anecdotes - by turns, touching, sad, and just funny, like this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/31/my-winter-of-love-rescued-my-partner-from-rabid-dogs

Peak Guardian:

"Adam and I had hit it off at a silent meditation retreat in Minneapolis,"

I do wonder if the Guardian has any idea about the lives of most people. ;)
  • eek said:

DavidL said:

Yes we've had this discussion many times already eek. Lifting all Covid restrictions in the summer, before almost any other developed nation in the planet and uniquely in Europe.

Had he left the decision late, we'd have maintained face masks and the rest of that garbage through the summer but we didn't.
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

You are going the wrong way. You should be going to England if you want to celebrate Hogmanay this year.
    Someone needs to get a "Welcome to England - Land of the Free" sign up on the M74 pronto. Enough Tory farmers there to find someone who'd be up for it
    edited December 2021

Peak Guardian:

"Adam and I had hit it off at a silent meditation retreat in Minneapolis,"

I do wonder if the Guardian has any idea about the lives of most people. ;)
    Its previous Christmas anecdote series was more [edit] typical!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/20/no-tree-no-presents-no-tv-worst-christmas-ever
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Sofa incident? I get sort of Duke of Argyll vibes off Johnson.
    Sofa so shit.

And that's even before we talk about his interior decor...

eek said:

DavidL said:

Yes we've had this discussion many times already eek. Lifting all Covid restrictions in the summer, before almost any other developed nation in the planet and uniquely in Europe.

Had he left the decision late, we'd have maintained face masks and the rest of that garbage through the summer but we didn't.
    Question is who made the decision for him. The pre-Christmas period certainly raises that issue.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    edited December 2021
    Every PM has a moment when they seem to pass the point of no return. Either because of a big external shock (Major, Callaghan), a big electoral shock (May, Cameron), a fateful political decision (Brown) or a major resignation (Blair, Thatcher).

For Boris it will surely be a whole new category: the Peppa Pig speech, a true emperors new clothes moment.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited December 2021
    In hindsight, one of the most bizarre moments of 2021 was when almost everyone described the fact there was a 3% swing from Labour to the Conservatives at the Batley and Spen by-election, which reduced the Labour majority from 3,500 to 323 votes, as a "disappointing result" for the Tories. Compared to Chesham & Amersham or North Shropshire it was an excellent result. It just shows how spin can re-frame almost anything.
  • Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer see Scottish approval ratings 'hit record lows'

VOTERS’ estimations of the UK and Scottish leaders of both the Tory and Labour parties have sunk to record lows, Professor Sir John Curtice [the president of the British Polling Council] has said.

Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar’s rating has plummeted to a rating of -1, while his UK leader, Keir Starmer, has also seen a drop in his approval rating, which now sits on -35.

The news is equally poor for the Tory leaders, with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson having an approval rating of -62. A massive 78% of people said Johnson was doing his job poorly.

Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross has also seen a drop in his rating, which now sits on -38. Just 17% of Scots said he was doing well in his role.

Alex Cole-Hamilton, the leader of the Scottish LibDems, has an approval rating of -16. However, the majority of respondents (55%) said they did not know how he was performing.

[Curtice] adds: “There is no sign of any electoral challenge to the grip of the nationalist movement on the Holyrood chamber. Meanwhile, the Conservatives are mired in sleaze, and the UK and Scottish leaders of the Conservative and the Labour Party have all sunk to record lows in voters’ estimation.”

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19740590.boris-johnson-keir-starmer-see-scottish-approval-ratings-hit-record-lows/
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Eabhal said:

Early start tomorrow as off to see the Victory and the Mary Rose… perfect excuse for not celebrating the new year.
  • Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer see Scottish approval ratings 'hit record lows'

VOTERS’ estimations of the UK and Scottish leaders of both the Tory and Labour parties have sunk to record lows, Professor Sir John Curtice [the president of the British Polling Council] has said.

Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar’s rating has plummeted to a rating of -1, while his UK leader, Keir Starmer, has also seen a drop in his approval rating, which now sits on -35.

The news is equally poor for the Tory leaders, with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson having an approval rating of -62. A massive 78% of people said Johnson was doing his job poorly.

Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross has also seen a drop in his rating, which now sits on -38. Just 17% of Scots said he was doing well in his role.

Alex Cole-Hamilton, the leader of the Scottish LibDems, has an approval rating of -16. However, the majority of respondents (55%) said they did not know how he was performing.

[Curtice] adds: “There is no sign of any electoral challenge to the grip of the nationalist movement on the Holyrood chamber. Meanwhile, the Conservatives are mired in sleaze, and the UK and Scottish leaders of the Conservative and the Labour Party have all sunk to record lows in voters’ estimation.”

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19740590.boris-johnson-keir-starmer-see-scottish-approval-ratings-hit-record-lows/

That poll is over a month old.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

An Englishman, an Englishman and an Englishman walk into a bar . . . .
    A Welshman, a Scotsman and an Englishwoman all walk into a bar.

The Welshman orders a pint of Brains, downs it in one and shouts 'Fuck Drakeford!'

The Scotsman orders a Glenlivet, downs it in one and shouts 'Fuck Sturgeon!'

The Englishwoman orders a lemonade. The other two look at her, surprised, and she says, 'I don't need to get drunk, Boris has already fucked me.'

And with that mild xenophobia, I need to do some shopping.
  • DavidL said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

Early start tomorrow as off to see the Victory and the Mary Rose… perfect excuse for not celebrating the new year.
    Don't forget the Warrior as a possibility, if you've never been. Anyway have a good time.
  • Carnyx said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Question is who made the decision for him. The pre-Christmas period certainly raises that issue.
    The pre-Christmas period shows him uniquely of all the leaders not imposing even more destructive restrictions. That's a good thing!

The argument that he doesn't make decisions seems to come from those who're acting as if the only decision to make is how hard a restriction to impose and how soon can it be imposed.
  • Andy_JS said:

In hindsight, one of the most bizarre moments of 2021 was when almost everyone described the fact there was a 3% swing from Labour to the Conservatives at the Batley and Spen by-election, which reduced the Labour majority from 3,500 to 323 votes, as a "disappointing result" for the Tories. Compared to Chesham & Amersham or North Shropshire it was an excellent result. It just shows how spin can re-frame almost anything.

That was the Galloway factor, he was always going to take a disproportionate number of votes from Labour.
  • Mr. Dickson, I don't think Boris Johnson believes anything. He's a vacuity, defined by the absence of conviction, driven solely by what he deems his own interest.

So?

Are you genuinely going to argue that Boris Johnson’s ratings have gone up in Scotland in the last month? Your own graph and article heavily indicate the opposite.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    stodge said:

Like you, I don't currently see an argument for "lockdown" (a ludicrous catch-all word which means whatever you want it to mean). The question is whether the current "Plan B" restrictions can be relaxed back to "Plan A" in the next month or so - I suspect not.

We should have evidence from the case numbers in the next fortnight or so as to whether or not mild to moderate restrictions are of any use against Omicron, simply by comparing the case rates in England (fewer restrictions) with the rest of the UK (more restrictions.)

If the restrictions appear to be useless then they really ought to be dumped, but like you I doubt that they will under the prevailing circumstances. Which would be entirely about political optics rather than epidemiology. As Robert has grown fond of saying recently, if the hospitals are under pressure (which they undoubtedly will be for some time) then something must be done. Plan B is something. So we're going to do it.

Besides, plan B is pretty minimal - not like the business closures and capacity limits elsewhere, which really do hamstring businesses. I imagine that the extra rules will be with us until some point in the Spring.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

A Welshman, a Scotsman and an Englishwoman all walk into a bar.

The Welshman orders a pint of Brains, downs it in one and shouts 'Fuck Drakeford!'

The Scotsman orders a Glenlivet, downs it in one and shouts 'Fuck Sturgeon!'

The Englishwoman orders a lemonade. The other two look at her, surprised, and she says, 'I don't need to get drunk, Boris has already fucked me.'

And with that mild xenophobia, I need to do some shopping.
    Very responsible of the young lady, given the other obvious consequence ...
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    eek said:

DavidL said:

The tears of a clown,
    when there's no one around.
  • Mr. Dickson, I don't think Boris Johnson believes anything. He's a vacuity, defined by the absence of conviction, driven solely by what he deems his own interest.

He’s not very good at looking after his own interests either.

Obese.
    History of drug and alcohol abuse.
    Unwell.
    Repeatedly sacked from jobs and given horrendous references by former employers.
    Absent and negligent parent.
    Repeatedly unfaithful to partners.
    Miserable.
    A cad.
    A bounder.

Looking after your own interests means being happy and making those around you happy. The two are closely linked. Boris Johnson is a spectacular failure.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2021
    FTPT:

Failed to give Alistair's Official SA Update yesterday

Projected Week 52 Admissions: 7893 (down 2% - let's call that flat)
    Projected Week 52 Deaths: 715 (up 20%)

Ventilated: 3.4%
    Oxygenated: 15.1%

For @Andy_JS , based on hospital admissions we are approx 3 weeks behind SA but there are lots of metrics you could use to determine how far behind we are so treat that with loads of salt.

The big cofounder for knowing how far behind we are is that SA had very low Delta admissions (585 admissions in the week before Omicron took off) whereas we had loads.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:

Cons were backed to prohibitively short priced favourites. I think I got 7/1 on Lab in the end.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

Don't forget the Warrior as a possibility, if you've never been. Anyway have a good time.
    We do have a third attraction we can go to but with a 5 hour round trip and a 9 year old I’m not sure we’ll get to it… thanks for the recommendation though
  • DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

If only the English enjoyed their own company…
  • Boris Johnson is the new Gordon Brown.

Lied more than once English idiot.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    All from previous thread:

@NickPalmer re average yes I agree but not really the point @HYUFD made a statement that was blatantly wrong and as @BartholomewRoberts @IshmaelZ stated the median average would be higher still.

As @Charles pointed out and as I have done on numerous times before @HYUFD can have a quite valid argument that he then completely devalues by using incorrect maths to justify it and thereby completely undermines it. On several occasions I have agreed with the point @HYUFD is making but have been embarrassed to support it because of the nonsense argument. And for instance in the last thread to top it all he answered my point be comparing two unrelated sets.

@Charles re your life insurance story. There was an example on the TV recently re a lady in France I think who had achieved a ripe old age who had outlived the person who bought her life insurance policy by decades. It has to make you smile even if you are on the wrong side of it.
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

We do have a third attraction we can go to but with a 5 hour round trip and a 9 year old I’m not sure we’ll get to it… thanks for the recommendation though
    That's certainly the logical sequence anyway with Victory and Mary Rose being the two older ships close to each other. Warrior would be good for a good weather trip combined with the Tower and a harbour cruise perhaps.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    edited December 2021

Gordon Brown was never defeated at a general election outright unlike Ed Milliband and Corbyn, he lost his majority in 2010 yes but Cameron failed to win a Tory majority either
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kjh said:

All from previous thread:

@NickPalmer re average yes I agree but not really the point @HYUFD made a statement that was blatantly wrong and as @BartholomewRoberts @IshmaelZ stated the median average would be higher still.

As @Charles pointed out and as I have done on numerous times before @HYUFD can have a quite valid argument that he then completely devalues by using incorrect maths to justify it and thereby completely undermines it. On several occasions I have agreed with the point @HYUFD is making but have been embarrassed to support it because of the nonsense argument. And for instance in the last thread to top it all he answered my point be comparing two unrelated sets.

@Charles re your life insurance story. There was an example on the TV recently re a lady in France I think who had achieved a ripe old age who had outlived the person who bought her life insurance policy by decades. It has to make you smile even if you are on the wrong side of it.

Jeanne Calment.

If you want a nice conspiracy theory to while away the morning, there are those who say she is sooo many SDs to the right she can't actually be true, and was actually her own daughter claiming to be her precisely to keep claiming on the policy (which was a specifically French thing a bit like equity release on her flat).
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Woken up with a back problem this morning, new bed and mattress can't come fast enough. My wife this am - "I've married an old man" 😭

Anyway, hoping this clears up because we've got a few people coming over tonight for NYE, leftover fireworks as well.

And Scotland is now almost irrelevant in relation to UK General Elections.
    In 2022 Boris needs to fire up the Tory base to get his numbers back up. That means particularly continuing to refuse to impose any new restrictions on the vaccinated
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Lots. Recent examples would be not to lockdown at Christmas and to boost the boosters. He is not shy of decisions. Whether he makes the right ones is more up for debate (although I certainly agree with these two).
    Sorry but we could have done the boosters way earlier - there is zero reason why most people couldn't have had boosters in October / November after a 4 month delay.

Boost the boosters arrived 2 weeks after Omicron first appeared - even introducing the scheme as soon as South Africa announced the new variant would have allowed another 2-5 million to be jabbed

In that case we may as well just call them England & Wales General Elections, or my preference, Wangland GEs.
    edited December 2021
    Andy_JS said:

From Batley and Spen to North Shropshire represents a changing narrative. I would suggest HS2 nimbyism did for the Tories in Chesham.

Although to an extent you have a point. Starmer squeaked a win in Batley and the pressure was off. A win is a win. The same would have been true for Johnson had he replicated Starmer's Batley win in North Shropshire.

Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer see Scottish approval ratings 'hit record lows'

It is if the Tories have a clear lead or Labour have a clear lead UK wide. If the 2 parties are neck and neck Scottish MPs could make the difference between whether Starmer becomes PM or not
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Cheer up everyone. Less than 14 hours until Dry January and Veganuary kick off.

• algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    HYUFD said:

It is if the Tories have a clear lead or Labour have a clear lead UK wide. If the 2 parties are neck and neck Scottish MPs could make the difference between whether Starmer becomes PM or not
    Scotland is 50+ seats in the bag for the centre left, which with lots of results keeps the Tories out but could in interesting ways let Labour in. They are not irrelevant. They are a constant in the equation.

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    The takeaway from the graph is that it's been downhill for the second half of the year; no one event produced this seismic change.
  • Andy_JS said:

From Batley and Spen to North Shropshire represents a changing narrative. I would suggest HS2 nimbyism did for the Tories in Chesham.

Although to an extent you have a point. Starmer squeaked a win in Batley and the pressure was off. A win is a win. The same would have been true for Johnson had he replicated Starmer's Batley win in North Shropshire.
    It was an awfully sharp turnaround starting in the early Summer. And yes, Labour squeaking a win in Batley+Spen signalled that maybe Johnson wasn't an all-conquering hero and Starmer wasn't doomed.

Is the end of vaccination round 1 enough to explain it?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited December 2021
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Bozo's time as PM has already exceeded my expectations. Back at the start of last year I thought he be out in 2021.

Will he be out in 2022? I'm going to reverse my position and say that he'll still be there in a year's time. For all the bluster in the Tory ranks, they won't be prepared to get rid, and he won't go voluntarily.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    HYUFD said:

In 2022 Boris needs to fire up the Tory base to get his numbers back up. That means particularly continuing to refuse to impose any new restrictions on the vaccinated

What is your motivation here @HYUFD? The reason I ask is you have been a very strong advocate for this in the last week or so but not before. And this is the first time I think you have mentioned the Tory party re the argument (unlike you).

I don't have an opinion one way or the other as I don't have enough facts, so just to make clear I am not disagreeing with you. Someone like @BartholomewRoberts has been consistent from an ideological point of view in his argument, but this has been new from you and you don't tend to express libertarian views.

Is your view politically driven or for the good of the nation and why the relatively new position and libertarian stance. I would expect this argument to come from me rather than you.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland is 50+ seats in the bag for the centre left, which with lots of results keeps the Tories out but could in interesting ways let Labour in. They are not irrelevant. They are a constant in the equation.

+1 - and one of those constants will be that the Tories will use the SNP's strength in Scotland to attack Labour in England.

May not be worth that many votes but it's probably worth a few for the Tory party.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    It seems inconceivable Boris Johnson's numbers could sink any further.

There are those who think he should be praised to the skies for the lack of further restrictions in England. Others might argue his political authority is fading and he faces a fractious party which is now driving Government policy (which is the cart and which the horse I leave up to you).

We will of course get through this and the new normality will re-assert in 2022 though with other countries still likely to be putting in restrictions, the "holiday" in 2022 may still be more a staycation (at least in the early part of the year).

The economic fallout of this remains unclear - those who worship at the altar of the Laffer Curve will whine on about tax cuts and spending cuts but the unplanned growth of the State since the spring of 2020 won't, I suspect, be easily reversed and local authorities in particular will cry foul if the Government seeks to cut back on services for vulnerable adults and children.

The shape of the post-pandemic political world remains far from clear.
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

That's certainly the logical sequence anyway with Victory and Mary Rose being the two older ships close to each other. Warrior would be good for a good weather trip combined with the Tower and a harbour cruise perhaps.
    There's also the D-Day museum - highly rated since it was entirely re-vamped with lottery funding
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Sorry but we could have done the boosters way earlier - there is zero reason why most people couldn't have had boosters in October / November after a 4 month delay.

Boost the boosters arrived 2 weeks after Omicron first appeared - even introducing the scheme as soon as South Africa announced the new variant would have allowed another 2-5 million to be jabbed
    Yes, the big booster rollout could have started two weeks earlier to deliver at least 5m extra doses before Xmas, our total would be ~39m now. That's 39m people who benefit from a 93-95% reduction in severe symptoms rather than ~33m taking an additional ~30k people out of the hospitalisation funnel entirely.

We've certainly had enough rain for a while over the holiday period.
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

There's also the D-Day museum - highly rated since it was entirely re-vamped with lottery funding
    Oh, that's good to know. Must be the one on the Southsea front near the castle. Was shut when I went last. Looking forward to another trip to see that and some of the other history such as the old ammunition depot and Palmerston forts and take Mrs C to see Porchester Castle.

Indeed, small comfort, but something to look forward to nonetheless.
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

Oh, that's good to know. Must be the one on the Southsea front near the castle. Was shut when I went last. Looking forward to another trip to see that and some of the other history such as the old ammunition depot and Palmerston forts and take Mrs C to see Porchester Castle.
    Yes, that's the one. It was closed for a while during the refurb, but it's now open daily.

Last I heard, one of the forts was up for sale if you have £1.5 million to spare?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    IanB2 said:

We've certainly had enough rain for a while over the holiday period.
    Even I have seen rain today, first proper downpour in nearly two years!
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

Talk of Porchester always leaves me in a sweat.

A trip on the IoW ferry and a wander around Osborn is something for day two. What a great view Victoria had of the Spinnaker Tower!
  • stodge said:

It seems inconceivable Boris Johnson's numbers could sink any further.

There are those who think he should be praised to the skies for the lack of further restrictions in England. Others might argue his political authority is fading and he faces a fractious party which is now driving Government policy (which is the cart and which the horse I leave up to you).

We will of course get through this and the new normality will re-assert in 2022 though with other countries still likely to be putting in restrictions, the "holiday" in 2022 may still be more a staycation (at least in the early part of the year).

The economic fallout of this remains unclear - those who worship at the altar of the Laffer Curve will whine on about tax cuts and spending cuts but the unplanned growth of the State since the spring of 2020 won't, I suspect, be easily reversed and local authorities in particular will cry foul if the Government seeks to cut back on services for vulnerable adults and children.

The shape of the post-pandemic political world remains far from clear.

Why would the Laffer curve mob want spending cuts? Surely their point is that cutting tax rates brings in more money for Rishi to spend on lampposts and hospitals.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

From what I hear, Portsmouth is now a far better naval museum than Greenwich, which has been rather dumbed down.
    HYUFD said:

Even if a vaccine busting variant comes along that swifty kills us all in large numbers?

I thought the Summer was the silly season, it seems I was wrong. Some posters have been barking at the moon for the last week.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    "Alex Cole-Hamilton, the leader of the Scottish LibDems, has an approval rating of -16. However, the majority of respondents (55%) said they did not know how he was performing."

That made me laugh. More like this:

"Alex Cole-Hamilton, the leader of the Scottish LibDems, has an approval rating of -16. However, the majority of respondents (55%) said they did not know who he was."
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,179
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

What is your motivation here @HYUFD? The reason I ask is you have been a very strong advocate for this in the last week or so but not before. And this is the first time I think you have mentioned the Tory party re the argument (unlike you).

I don't have an opinion one way or the other as I don't have enough facts, so just to make clear I am not disagreeing with you. Someone like @BartholomewRoberts has been consistent from an ideological point of view in his argument, but this has been new from you and you don't tend to express libertarian views.

Is your view politically driven or for the good of the nation and why the relatively new position and libertarian stance. I would expect this argument to come from me rather than you.
    "He ever voted at his party´s call, and never thought of thinking for himself at all".
    If the Tories advocated either Lockdown or the complete abolition of restrictions, then no matter what, our reliably partisan posters would follow.
    "Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia"
  • Mr. kinabalu, a morris dancer's splendid words are always welcome.
  • Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. Dickson, I don't think Boris Johnson believes anything. He's a vacuity, defined by the absence of conviction, driven solely by what he deems his own interest.

No place for this here, Morris. PB.com is for opinions which can then be debated. It's our lifeblood.

This is like coming on and saying "I think horses are bigger than squirrels".
    PB pedantry! That is actually entirely arguable. Squirrels go up to 15kg and horses down to 9kg. So you are being unfair to Mr Dancer.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2400511
    https://academic.oup.com/jmammal/article/93/4/1169/961077
    You win PB for today! What an awesome stat!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    edited December 2021
    On topic, I'm a split personality on Johnson's prospects for 2022. Political Me believes it's all over for him, he's been sussed and he's on his way out. Betting Me disagrees and thinks he's far more likely than not to recover sufficiently to stay in place. I'm long of him at 1.9 to still be PM for the Tory Party Conf and I'm not laying it back yet even though it's shortened to 1.5. I think that's still too big. Should be 1.33 max and probably 1.25.
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

Yes, that's the one. It was closed for a while during the refurb, but it's now open daily.

Last I heard, one of the forts was up for sale if you have £1.5 million to spare?
    Yep, I was reading about that. But Mrs C would not be impressed even if we had the cash.

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Eabhal said:

Talk of Porchester always leaves me in a sweat.

A trip on the IoW ferry and a wander around Osborn is something for day two. What a great view Victoria had of the Spinnaker Tower!
    Am I missing something about Porchester? Or is it jujst that there is so much walking and scrambling to do?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    DavidL said:

Yes.
    He sure isn't noted for having pored over every document and having policy ideas in the small hours either.
  • Will the weather impact on case spread? It is not exactly the wintery conditions that viruses like.

14 degrees here in the boondocks of the midlands.

• CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    edited December 2021
    kinabalu said:

Mr. Dickson, I don't think Boris Johnson believes anything. He's a vacuity, defined by the absence of conviction, driven solely by what he deems his own interest.

No place for this here, Morris. PB.com is for opinions which can then be debated. It's our lifeblood.

This made me laugh.
    Actually, I do genuinely think Boris believes in something - small state, liberty, freedom of the individual, that sort of thing. I just don't think he's very good at - or indeed even tries to - join the dots between these 'principles' (to stretch a definition) with pulling the levers which will produce the appropriate outcomes.
    However, this quibble has been superseded by @Carnyx 's quite excellent contrarianism showing us that sometimes squirrels are bigger than horses. This is pb's finest moment since the debate over whether London was better than Wick.
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

PB pedantry! That is actually entirely arguable. Squirrels go up to 15kg and horses down to 9kg. So you are being unfair to Mr Dancer.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2400511
    https://academic.oup.com/jmammal/article/93/4/1169/961077
    Oh, I don't believe it. Serves me right. Should have left not a scintilla of a loophole.

Uranus is bigger than the Earth.
  • (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    11h
    The Times: "NHS chiefs do not believe that the threshold for new Covid-19 restrictions has been crossed despite a surge in hospital admissions". Not evil Boris. Not his evil advisors. Not his evil Cabinet. Not his evil MPs. Not his evil media cheerleaders. NHS Chiefs.
  • Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    8m
    NHS England have updated their data "with/for" - admissions both with *and* for are rising steeply.

About two thirds of current Covid patients are there directly because of Covid.

Rest mix of: coincidental; covid made existing condition worse; caught in hospital.

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1476866234524311588
  • kinabalu said:

On topic, I'm a split personality on Johnson's prospects for 2022. Political Me believes it's all over for him, he's been sussed and he's on his way out. Betting Me disagrees and thinks he's far more likely than not to recover sufficiently to stay in place. I'm long of him at 1.9 to still be PM for the Tory Party Conf and I'm not laying it back yet even though it's shortened to 1.5. I think that's still too big. Should be 1.33 max and probably 1.25.

I don't know about BoJo recovering (his default state is less popular than he and his acolytes imagine... 2019 was very much Devil vs. Deep Blue Sea), but I can see a pathway where it's never in anyone's personal interest to dump him... until it's too late.

Rishi being happy to serve under Liz, and vice versa... That's when Boris really has to worry. And I'm not sure I can see that happening.
  • kinabalu said:

I don't know about BoJo recovering (his default state is less popular than he and his acolytes imagine... 2019 was very much Devil vs. Deep Blue Sea), but I can see a pathway where it's never in anyone's personal interest to dump him... until it's too late.

Rishi being happy to serve under Liz, and vice versa... That's when Boris really has to worry. And I'm not sure I can see that happening.
    We will have a better view after the May elections. They will be like a traditional mid term set of elections now that normal politics with a functioning opposition has started up again.

If Tories get a shellacking then could be the summer to get rid of the albatross before a 2023 GE?
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

This made me laugh.
    Actually, I do genuinely think Boris believes in something - small state, liberty, freedom of the individual, that sort of thing. I just don't think he's very good at - or indeed even tries to - join the dots between these 'principles' (to stretch a definition) with pulling the levers which will produce the appropriate outcomes.
    However, this quibble has been superseded by @Carnyx 's quite excellent contrarianism showing us that sometimes squirrels are bigger than horses. This is pb's finest moment since the debate over whether London was better than Wick.
    I really don't want to meet that squirrel.

As for BJ, I can imagine he believes in all of that but only in a desultory skindeep kind of a way - ie down the pub he might argue that side of life, and he would genuinely prefer it to eg totalitarian communism, but that's about as far as it goes.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

kinabalu said:

Sunak and Truss are both definitely on maneuvers but it's too early for either. They need Johnson to take a lot more of the blame to come.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

Even if a vaccine busting variant comes along that swifty kills us all in large numbers?

I thought the Summer was the silly season, it seems I was wrong. Some posters have been barking at the moon for the last week.
    The barkers are in the grip of an ideologically driven narrative. If omicron sufficiently worse than expected, or if successor of omicron sufficiently worse than omicron, then lockdown on the cards. You would have thought that was uncontroversial, but the objections are 1. that it would be unacceptably statist and left wing of the virus to get worse at this stage and b. the narrative arc doesn't permit it, it would be too like a retread of season 2 and sooo boring.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    May have been posted already but below (from yesterday) examines why hospitalisations are not rising proportionally in line with Omicron infections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDBJBmlvXY
  • Does anyone know how accurate the blood O2 measures are on a phone? And what numbers to look out for?

I've got a Galaxy S9+ and after testing positive yesterday I used the sensor for the first time in years to get a reading of 95. I then immediately tried it again a few times and got an 85, 86 and 88 which rather raises question marks against its reliability. Just tried again and got a 90.
This discussion has been closed.