Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can anyone explain the mindset of anti-vaxxers like this? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1476131289870778374

Campaigner Kellie-Jay Keen and James Max clash over the issue of 'sex-based rights' and JK Rowling's 'trans-row'.

James: "I am slightly staggered by your views."

Campaigner Kellie-Jay Keen: "What? That biological sex exists."

@thejamesmax

"Women can't commit rape" - erh, what? As in legally they can't?

If you've transitioned to being a woman, this person would like you to not use female toilets - but where are they supposed to go then? Outside?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Non-COVID excess deaths up to 895 deaths in the week-ending 17 December:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending17december2021

Week-ending: five-year average, COVID deaths, non-COVID deaths, excess non-COVID deaths

24-Sep-21, 9,264, 888, 9,796, 532
    01-Oct-21, 9,377, 783, 9,727, 350
    08-Oct-21, 9,555, 666, 10,141, 586
    15-Oct-21, 9,811, 713, 10,464, 653
    22-Oct-21, 9,865, 792, 10,516, 651
    29-Oct-21, 9,759, 859, 10,128, 369
    05-Nov-21, 9,891, 995, 10,555, 664
    12-Nov-21, 10,331, 1,020, 11,030, 699
    19-Nov-21, 10,350, 952, 11,151, 801
    26-Nov-21, 10,380, 817, 10,650, 270
    03-Dec-21, 10,357, 792, 10,867, 510
    10-Dec-21, 10,695, 764, 11,166, 471
    17-Dec-21, 10,750, 755, 11,645, 895

Whats the likely cause of the discrepancy ?
    People keeling over a few months after a bout of covid due to weakened circulatory and pulmonary systems ?
    I think we're making up for last winter when a lot of low-hanging fruit avoided death due to flu not circulating.
    the antiva xers will say excess deaths are the results of vaccine damage...and it will only get worse
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    IanB2 said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

What is going on with JK Rowling? This issue seems to have totally passed me by.

If this was an attempt to troll by throwing out a casual reference to an issue that excites two rival tribes of the angriest people on the internet and doing an innocent face then please do it somewhere else. If you're going to do that kind of trolling here, the only permitted subject is AV.
    I am thinking about doing one of Sunday's pieces on the Tory leadership election rules and the fact the Tories use a form of quasi-AV to elect their leader.

Multiple rounds of voting, the candidate with the least votes get eliminated, and we only have a winner when someone gets 50% plus of the votes.
    You call it "AV". I call it "Keep Another IDS off the Ballot".

I'm not sure what Labour would call it, but whatever it is, they want it - to Keep Another Corbyn off the Ballot....
    IDS won the Tory leadership under the party's AV system once Portillo and Davis and Ancram were knocked out and he was the only alternative left to Ken Clarke
    How was a party that chose IDS over Ken Clarke ever let back into Downing Street?
    They sorted themselves out, we chose Cameron over David Davis, and the other lot let Gordon Brown into Downing Street.
    Then you f*cked up royally by letting the current clown in, just sayin.
    They f*cked up royally by letting Theresa May in which led to even Jeremy Corbyn polling 10% poll leads.

"The current clown" took the Tories from 10% behind Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party to win an eighty seat majority, got a revised Trade Deal that abolished the backstop and was so good it is now being iterated into an even better deal; then got the vaccines first in the world.

If that's clowning about, then Send in the Clowns!
    The trouble with Boris is that when he's good he's very, very good and when he's bad he's terrible, and there's precious little in between. For my money, he has done a great job in implementing the result of the 2016 referendum, which destroyed his last two predecessors and paralysed politics for three years, in the stunning triumph of our vaccine programme, in seeing off Jeremy Corbyn and in avoiding the worst barbarities of continental or Chinese lockdowns during this epidemic.

But the extended crises of the last five years could be coming to a close. And, as is well known, the mundane, routine stuff of every day economic and social policy with its tradeoffs and need to consider dozens of factors and come to usually fudged decisions is too detailed and tedious for his toddler-length attention span. He is intellectually lazy, so will always go with the big government, high spending solution. And his only defence, entirely true, is that Starmer would be even worse.

Also, is being PM really compatible with having a couple of babies in the house?
    I rather think it's the third baby in the house that is the problem.
    Carrie may not be everybody's idea of an ideal wife, but that's a bit harsh!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Just come up on my Facebook page. A picture of Epstein and Maxwell comfortably together.

The caption is 'Love is finishing each others sentences'

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/874/591/e17.jpeg
    Not that picture, but possibly even better!

Has a sentencing date been set?
    Looks like the sentencing hearing will be at a later date, presumably so that she and her lawyer can work out how many names she needs to give to authorities, in order to see her get out in a handful of years.

She’s going to know an awful lot of names, at least two living Presidents were associates of Epstein.
    She'll need to give a lot more than names. They will want evidence.
    Far be it for me to spread conspiracy :-)

But I find it hard to believe she will be allowed to bring down two American political dynasties and the British Royal Family.

Presumably she has made arrangements so that upon her unfortunate sudden demise, her story would still be aired. But you would have thought Epstein would have done the same and apparently not.
    It’s going to be quite fascinating to see how this all plays out.

Maxwell is 60 years old, she won’t fancy living out the rest of her life behind bars, and clearly has a lot of records of people who were involved with Epstein.

There have been loads of conspiracy theories over the years about high-society pedophile rings - and while this isn’t quite that, it’s clear that many of the young ladies involved with Epstein and Maxwell were a little too young, and a lot of the people at the parties were in the top echelons of American (and British) society.

The question is, therefore, will release of the contents of her little black book be a mitigating factor or an aggravating factor, when it comes to sentencing. Or will she get “suicided” like Epstein, so that it can never be released.
    Is there really any credibility in the suggestion that Epstein did not commit suicide? Genuine question.

I have not followed it that closely but I assumed the idea that he was bumped off to save embarassment was just a QAnon level conspiracy theory.
    Why would you assume that?
    Occam's razor.

How many people would need to be involved in a conspiracy to murder Epstein in prison and ensure it was covered up?
    Occam's razor is only a rule of thumb, and involving lots of people in a murder and cover up is easy when you have virtually infinite money and virtually infinite power, as Epstein's "friends" undoubtedly did, between them.
    That’s exactly what fuels the conspiracies, it wouldn’t have taken a massive amount of money or resources to arrange for him to be killed, and there were an awful lot of people with money and connections, with motive to have him dead. Paying off half a dozen prison guards and a hit man isn’t particularly expensive, in the grand scheme of things.
    Where would you get a hitman in a prison? Just asking...... ;)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I haven’t taken a LFT in months
  • Options
    And then Kellie-Jay Keen calls a person who transitioned to being a woman, a man. I get sort of the idea of what she's saying but this just seems to encourage being nasty against somebody for no reason?
  • Options
    Mrs C, 'expertise' is not required, just a basic level of fundamental biology.

Men have approximately twice the muscle and half the fat of women, on average. We know men outcompete women at elite level because practically every single record held by men is better than the female equivalent, and it's why sexually segregated sporting competitions are fully justified and entirely normal.

Someone being trans does not rewrite their genetic code or undo decades of performance-enhancing testosterone flowing through their system.

This is a straightforward conflict between ideology and reality.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Just come up on my Facebook page. A picture of Epstein and Maxwell comfortably together.

Looks like the sentencing hearing will be at a later date, presumably so that she and her lawyer can work out how many names she needs to give to authorities, in order to see her get out in a handful of years.

She’s going to know an awful lot of names, at least two living Presidents were associates of Epstein.

But I find it hard to believe she will be allowed to bring down two American political dynasties and the British Royal Family.

Presumably she has made arrangements so that upon her unfortunate sudden demise, her story would still be aired. But you would have thought Epstein would have done the same and apparently not.

Maxwell is 60 years old, she won’t fancy living out the rest of her life behind bars, and clearly has a lot of records of people who were involved with Epstein.

There have been loads of conspiracy theories over the years about high-society pedophile rings - and while this isn’t quite that, it’s clear that many of the young ladies involved with Epstein and Maxwell were a little too young, and a lot of the people at the parties were in the top echelons of American (and British) society.

The question is, therefore, will release of the contents of her little black book be a mitigating factor or an aggravating factor, when it comes to sentencing. Or will she get “suicided” like Epstein, so that it can never be released.
    Is there really any credibility in the suggestion that Epstein did not commit suicide? Genuine question.

I have not followed it that closely but I assumed the idea that he was bumped off to save embarassment was just a QAnon level conspiracy theory.
    Occam's razor.

How many people would need to be involved in a conspiracy to murder Epstein in prison and ensure it was covered up?
    Occam's razor is only a rule of thumb, and involving lots of people in a murder and cover up is easy when you have virtually infinite money and virtually infinite power, as Epstein's "friends" undoubtedly did, between them.
    That’s exactly what fuels the conspiracies, it wouldn’t have taken a massive amount of money or resources to arrange for him to be killed, and there were an awful lot of people with money and connections, with motive to have him dead. Paying off half a dozen prison guards and a hit man isn’t particularly expensive, in the grand scheme of things.
    Sounds way too expensive.

Pay someone to observe how the prison works and identify the weak points.

Then send your single man in for a few weeks so they can pick the correct moment.

Bit more effort but far cheaper and far less likely to go wrong.
    "Weak points" is a bit of an Ocean's 11 rather than real life point, isn't it? There is one way in, you need a security pass to get in via that way, you don't have a security pass. End of, in real life, whereas if you suborn someone with an existing pass, no problemo.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

And then Kellie-Jay Keen calls a person who transitioned to being a woman, a man. I get sort of the idea of what she's saying but this just seems to encourage being nasty against somebody for no reason?

Gammons gonna gammon
  • Options
    Biologically, I think there are two sexes. I think there's also intersex but this is extremely rare.
  • Options

It was a genuine question on JK Rowling to be honest, I haven't paid much attention to it.

The issue seems to stem from whether there are multiple genders, from what I have read on Reddit

No.

She explains it herself:

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1476194103528407046?s=21

At the heart of the issue is whether, as some argue, “gender trumps biological sex” and what flows from that. Notably she is a lot more civil and polite than some of her critics, and has not yet doxed or threatened to murder any of them.
    Exactly. We stopped using the word "sex" because fnarr fnarr so substituted gender. Which us something completely different. My insert-neutral-substitute-here offspring is biologically male and gender neutral. Their last two ex-boyfriends were biologically female and male gendered.

Its not difficult. Promote the rights of people to identify in whatever gender they want, protect the rights of people of one biological sex from being threatened and raped by the other.
  • Options
    But I think gender is something different isn't it? I think people say gender = sex and this is basically where the whole argument has come from.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

What is going on with JK Rowling? This issue seems to have totally passed me by.

She says chicks with dicks aren't chicks.

That's what it boils down to.
    Did she actually say that? I have zero interest in TERF wars, but my impression was that she said that trans rights couldn’t be at the expense of women’s rights
    Yes she did but that is not an acceptable position in the new Scotland. As one of the last serious taxpayers left in the country this is unfortunate.
    Gay people used to face this same kind of "moral panic" cr*p. Giving trans people rights does not take rights away from women any more than taking giving gay people rights took them away from straight people.
    It does if you let them compete in women's sport
    That is a matter for the doctors in the relevant sporting bodies to deal with.I suspect they have more expertise on the matter than PB posters or Ms Rowling
    Hahahahahahahahaha

No it isn't, it is a matter of pure self identification for a huge number of sporting bodies. You haven't the first idea what you are on about.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,292
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Occam's razor.

If that was done, one day we (or those that follow us) will know. People rarely keep quiet for ever.
    If what you are keeping quiet about is the murder of someone capable of giving inconvenient evidence, that is going to colour your thinking about going public.

Here's a bloke who murdered Jimmy Hoffa in 1975, but prudently kept it to himself till his deathbed, this year

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/nyregion/jimmy-hoffa-fbi-investigation.html
    Which kind of proves my point.
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Did she actually say that? I have zero interest in TERF wars, but my impression was that she said that trans rights couldn’t be at the expense of women’s rights
    Yes she did but that is not an acceptable position in the new Scotland. As one of the last serious taxpayers left in the country this is unfortunate.
    Gay people used to face this same kind of "moral panic" cr*p. Giving trans people rights does not take rights away from women any more than taking giving gay people rights took them away from straight people.
    Well done in confirming my point that most trans "supporters" don't have a first clue about what the actual issue is.

A lot of women need safe women only / man free spaces because of past issues / trauma they have experienced.
    And by "women only / man free" its biological sex not gender that is the issue. Something the pro-trans outraged don't seem to get.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,633
    I can't understand anyone wanting to perform LFTs beyond what is required or recommended by the government. It is just an unpleasant thing to do, especially if you have to take throat samples.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,733
    edited December 2021
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

If this was an attempt to troll by throwing out a casual reference to an issue that excites two rival tribes of the angriest people on the internet and doing an innocent face then please do it somewhere else. If you're going to do that kind of trolling here, the only permitted subject is AV.
    I am thinking about doing one of Sunday's pieces on the Tory leadership election rules and the fact the Tories use a form of quasi-AV to elect their leader.

Multiple rounds of voting, the candidate with the least votes get eliminated, and we only have a winner when someone gets 50% plus of the votes.

I'm not sure what Labour would call it, but whatever it is, they want it - to Keep Another Corbyn off the Ballot....
    IDS won the Tory leadership under the party's AV system once Portillo and Davis and Ancram were knocked out and he was the only alternative left to Ken Clarke
    How was a party that chose IDS over Ken Clarke ever let back into Downing Street?
    They sorted themselves out, we chose Cameron over David Davis, and the other lot let Gordon Brown into Downing Street.
    They f*cked up royally by letting Theresa May in which led to even Jeremy Corbyn polling 10% poll leads.

"The current clown" took the Tories from 10% behind Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party to win an eighty seat majority, got a revised Trade Deal that abolished the backstop and was so good it is now being iterated into an even better deal; then got the vaccines first in the world.

The trouble with Boris is that when he's good he's very, very good and when he's bad he's terrible, and there's precious little in between. For my money, he has done a great job in implementing the result of the 2016 referendum, which destroyed his last two predecessors and paralysed politics for three years, in the stunning triumph of our vaccine programme, in seeing off Jeremy Corbyn and in avoiding the worst barbarities of continental or Chinese lockdowns during this epidemic.

But the extended crises of the last five years could be coming to a close. And, as is well known, the mundane, routine stuff of every day economic and social policy with its tradeoffs and need to consider dozens of factors and come to usually fudged decisions is too detailed and tedious for his toddler-length attention span. He is intellectually lazy, so will always go with the big government, high spending solution. And his only defence, entirely true, is that Starmer would be even worse.

Also, is being PM really compatible with having a couple of babies in the house?
    Hmm.

Everyone is better than Corbyn and everyone apart from Corbyn is better than Johnson.

Johnson's implementation of Brexit is so successful, he disowns it and blames Remainers and Theresa May for it.

Early energy on vaccines partially redeems an otherwise woeful epidemic response. Credit to him on that, I guess.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Have you and YakiDa ever been seen in the same room? He posts the same pro-Boris guff as you now do.
    Who's YakiDa?
    HYUFD, the Plaid Cymru voting I'm the only gay Tory in the village arbiter of Tory pureness.

To vote for any other party in any circumstance is to be Cast Out as a non-Tory. Unless it is Yaki himself voting for Welsh Nationalism in which case its fine.

• Options

Campaigner Kellie-Jay Keen and James Max clash over the issue of 'sex-based rights' and JK Rowling's 'trans-row'.

@thejamesmax

If you've transitioned to being a woman, this person would like you to not use female toilets - but where are they supposed to go then? Outside?

I believe rape is legally penetration by a penis without consent. So while a woman [sexually] can commit sexual assault, they can't legally rape people. Its an oddity, but that is the law AFAIK.

The toilets issue has always struck me as an odd one to get wound up about. If someone with a penis doesn't want to use the male toilets, why don't they use the disabled one instead? That's generally a private cubicle. Seems like a reasonable compromise, the female toilets are kept a safe place for anyone sexually female while an individual who doesn't feel comfortable going into the male toilets can use a private cubicle instead.
  • Options
    londoneye said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Non-COVID excess deaths up to 895 deaths in the week-ending 17 December:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending17december2021

Week-ending: five-year average, COVID deaths, non-COVID deaths, excess non-COVID deaths

24-Sep-21, 9,264, 888, 9,796, 532
    01-Oct-21, 9,377, 783, 9,727, 350
    08-Oct-21, 9,555, 666, 10,141, 586
    15-Oct-21, 9,811, 713, 10,464, 653
    22-Oct-21, 9,865, 792, 10,516, 651
    29-Oct-21, 9,759, 859, 10,128, 369
    05-Nov-21, 9,891, 995, 10,555, 664
    12-Nov-21, 10,331, 1,020, 11,030, 699
    19-Nov-21, 10,350, 952, 11,151, 801
    26-Nov-21, 10,380, 817, 10,650, 270
    03-Dec-21, 10,357, 792, 10,867, 510
    10-Dec-21, 10,695, 764, 11,166, 471
    17-Dec-21, 10,750, 755, 11,645, 895

Whats the likely cause of the discrepancy ?
    People keeling over a few months after a bout of covid due to weakened circulatory and pulmonary systems ?
    I think we're making up for last winter when a lot of low-hanging fruit avoided death due to flu not circulating.
    the antiva xers will say excess deaths are the results of vaccine damage...and it will only get worse
    It does seem to be the case that we were polishing off oldies with midazolam overdoses at a rate of knots in the first wave. Bear in mind that I came across this story while searching for Piers Corbyn's mate john o'looney, but it seems fairly well sourced (and, yes, in the land of the internet, The Sun counts as well sourced)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12100515/care-homes-accused-sedatives-coronavirus-die-quickly/

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2128/rr-11

I am surprised people aren't a bit more fussed about this
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    edited December 2021
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

eek said:

It was a genuine question on JK Rowling to be honest, I haven't paid much attention to it.

The issue seems to stem from whether there are multiple genders, from what I have read on Reddit

If you managed to spend the last year on the internet without coming into contact with this particular controversy then just carry on doing what you've been doing, your social media streams are perfectly calibrated.
    Why are you shouting me down for asking a legitimate question? This has only come up because of the Harry Potter documentary that was just on. I wasn't aware that JK Rowling had been "cancelled"
    The problem is that it's highly contentious for the reasons @edmundintokyo talked about - mainly because both parties talk at cross purposes and never seem to understand that

1) both sides do actually have valid points but
    2) what they are asking for is impossible because their desired fix creates the problem the other side is worried about (and is a problem that the other side just doesn't seem able to grasp or see)
    3) and no compromise is possible because it's very much a binary result that the other side cannot accept.

We've covered the same issue here multiple times when talking about rapists ending up in Scottish Women's prisons because self identifying as a women is their "right". As it never ends well it's best to try and avoid the topic.

I am LGBTQIwhatever and my 20 year-old non-binary offspring has had a couple of trans boyfriends. So I do care about trans issues. But you can't override every other issue with trans rights - be sensitive to their rights and also the rights of women.

The problem with Ms Rowling is that she took a clear and previously uncontroversial stance in favour of protecting women's rights in their ongoing struggle against real misogyny. Fatal error. "YOU'RE TRANSPHOBIC" they howl even though she had made it clear she isn't.

People like my whatever-the-gender-neutral-alternative-to-son's ex BFs and my old mate who is trans male to female and *genuine* should be absolutely supported. That is not the same as dodgy Dave the deviant suddenly self-identifying as female demanding access to a women's refuge.

That people on both sides of the debate cannot understand the difference is baffling to me. So I largely stay out of it.
    The problem comes down to self identification.

For pro trans people its a magic fix that solves all problems
    For womens rights it creates a whole new set of issues that the pro trans people just don't seem to understand.

As I said the problem just isn't fixable so I try and keep as far away from it as possible.

The other issue is that you simply can't put a complete argument in 280 characters so anything you post on this topic on twitter will result in 1 tweet being taken out of context and used against you for every more.

At least on here you can post something long enough that it's impossible to use part of your argument completely out of context
    I'm not sure anyone claimed it was a "magic fix", which is perhaps your interpretation ?

Alastair had a typically civilised stab at the issue on his blog:
    https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/a-fool-rushes-in-a-suggested-way-of-approaching-trans-rights-ccae2554fe31

Alastair's issue is that he assumes everyone involved is doing it for Good intentions (and even then he is showing the problems).

The issue is that we already know multiple people (not many but more than zero) are going to use it for evil intent so his Principle 3 is just wrong.

And given that his entire idea is based on and built upon an invalid principle the rest of the argument falls apart.

Basically I once again return to my original point - the problem isn't fixable because both people have perfectly valid points over a very binary issue. And the issue comes done to the fact that not everyone has good intentions regardless of how much you wish it wasn't true.
  • Options
    Latest from ONS

Office for National Statistics (ONS)

Dec 30, 2021

6.1% of all deaths registered in the week ending 17 December mentioned #COVID19 on the death certificate in England and Wales (755 deaths).

This was a decrease in the number of deaths from the previous week (764 deaths, 6.4% of all deaths).

In England, 702 deaths involving #COVID19 were registered in the week ending 17 December (compared with 708 deaths registered the previous week).

In Wales, 51 deaths involving COVID-19 were registered in this week (compared with the 54 deaths registered the previous week).

• Options

@thejamesmax

I believe rape is legally penetration by a penis without consent. So while a woman [sexually] can commit sexual assault, they can't legally rape people. Its an oddity, but that is the law AFAIK.

The toilets issue has always struck me as an odd one to get wound up about. If someone with a penis doesn't want to use the male toilets, why don't they use the disabled one instead? That's generally a private cubicle. Seems like a reasonable compromise, the female toilets are kept a safe place for anyone sexually female while an individual who doesn't feel comfortable going into the male toilets can use a private cubicle instead.
    No, that was only ever the case de facto, in the bad old days when we ridiculously thought that women could not have penises. They could always be guilty of rape as accessories.
  • Options

Having watched some of that clip its pretty clear she is at the extreme end of the pro-women's rights argument. Frankly the media seems to enjoy bringing in the two sets of extremist spokespeople to piss on the fire and upset people.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MattW said:

Charles said:

eek said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The same people that said Delta was nothing to worry about, are those that are saying Omicron is nothing to worry about.

So is anyone who said Delta was nothing to worry about, going to stick their head up and say this is different

Who said Delta is nothing to worry about?
    I don't recall you calling for a lockdown when Delta was around, we didn't need one was what you and several others said. I remember arguing with you about it
    That's not the same thing, is it?
    My point is you were wrong then and so I am interested in people that did call for a lockdown then who don't think there is anything to worry about now.

What I am hearing now is the same people that initially said "nothing to worry about" then said "lockdown isn't needed" then said "lockdown 2.0 isn't needed". It's the same people
    You keep making these massive sweeping generalisations.
    I have generally preferred not to make generalisations.

And with that, good night.
    But the French elite are so paranoid about Brexit, so allergic to it and fearful of it, they set a low bar for its success. Britain surviving intact and not starving to death will probably seem quite successful to them. given their direful predictions of total British implosion.

Then the next time the EU does something widely unpopular, eurosceptics across the continent will start to look longingly at independent London.

This is the great French fear. By this guy's account it does stalk their nightmares.
    The French are trying to restrict travel to essential only.
    By blocking British residents of Belgium or the Netherlands who want to use EuroTunnel and transit France?
    Are the blocking British? Or just anyone who isn't EU/Schengen?
    Travel from the UK to France

URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU

Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/#foca
    Exactly. They aren't treating us differently. They're applying the 3rd country rules which our government demanded be imposed upon us.
    What’s the warning

Be careful what you wish for - it may become true.
    I don't understand the complaints. What did they think "3rd country" meant? This is what they demanded and they've succeeded in being treated thus.

Just wait until next week when the usual suspects try and blame the French for our lack of Border Control Posts, staff or computers.
    Except the rights of British citizens with legal residency in the EU that pre-dates Brexit have their rights protected by treaty.

I think this is just Macron being a twat again, assuming the allegation is true.

Blocking the UK, when Belgium had had case rates twice as high as our peak at that point for weeks was the action of a kneejerking numpty.
    It’s totally Macron being a twat.

But it’s the resounding silence from the Remoaners that amuses
    Why should we comment? This is what Leavers wanted. To be outside the EU and to be treated like outsiders.

Well congrats!
    Because it’s a breach of the Withdrawal Treaty in the same way that they got very excited about the administrative procedures on settled status.
    It is - in the same way that other border closures were breaches of other treaties like Schengen. But its a pandemic - temporary breaches are permitted.

Again, we are being treated as we demanded - as a 3rd country. They had to arbitrate on which exceptions to their medically induced ban would exist and they have tret us like the rest of the world not Europe. At our request.

You and others complaining demonstrates English exceptionalism at its finest. That "treat us like a 3rd country" actually meant "we don't want to be European but you will do what we bally well say because we are English and that means we get to make all the rules".
    I think Macron’s bring a bit silly but I don’t really care about it.

My comment is really about the hypocrisy of people who launch into the UK for a reasonable administrative procedure and find excuses when an EU country does something that is equally in breach of the treaty.

But they “have a good reason” which makes it all ok…
    Bureaucratic desire for tidiness, I think. You have the other EU members category and you have the third country category with the UK moving from the first to the second category. They don't want to create a third anomalous category for the UK based on geography.
  • Options

No.

She explains it herself:

At the heart of the issue is whether, as some argue, “gender trumps biological sex” and what flows from that. Notably she is a lot more civil and polite than some of her critics, and has not yet doxed or threatened to murder any of them.
    Exactly. We stopped using the word "sex" because fnarr fnarr so substituted gender. Which us something completely different. My insert-neutral-substitute-here offspring is biologically male and gender neutral. Their last two ex-boyfriends were biologically female and male gendered.

Its not difficult. Promote the rights of people to identify in whatever gender they want, protect the rights of people of one biological sex from being threatened and raped by the other.
    Shouldn't people just leave trans people alone? As their rights are covered under the equality act. Whatever people think of debates on 'gender', calling trans people predators as Rowling and Duffield have been doing is not acceptable and is obviously going to cause unnecessary upset. It's really quite pathetic how the media is stoking this as well in this country compared with say Germany.

Don't get me started on Joanna Cherry or Kathleen Stock either.
  • Options
    Informative thread:

Covid-19 keeps throwing up policy decisions requiring difficult judgements between competing objectives. Reducing covid isolation from 7 days to 5 is another one of these. There is often no “obvious single right answer” to these complex decisions, whatever some argue…1/19

https://twitter.com/ChrisCEOHopson/status/1476479819105906688?s=20
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,906
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

eek said:

If you managed to spend the last year on the internet without coming into contact with this particular controversy then just carry on doing what you've been doing, your social media streams are perfectly calibrated.
    Why are you shouting me down for asking a legitimate question? This has only come up because of the Harry Potter documentary that was just on. I wasn't aware that JK Rowling had been "cancelled"
    The problem is that it's highly contentious for the reasons @edmundintokyo talked about - mainly because both parties talk at cross purposes and never seem to understand that

2) what they are asking for is impossible because their desired fix creates the problem the other side is worried about (and is a problem that the other side just doesn't seem able to grasp or see)
    3) and no compromise is possible because it's very much a binary result that the other side cannot accept.

We've covered the same issue here multiple times when talking about rapists ending up in Scottish Women's prisons because self identifying as a women is their "right". As it never ends well it's best to try and avoid the topic.

I am LGBTQIwhatever and my 20 year-old non-binary offspring has had a couple of trans boyfriends. So I do care about trans issues. But you can't override every other issue with trans rights - be sensitive to their rights and also the rights of women.

The problem with Ms Rowling is that she took a clear and previously uncontroversial stance in favour of protecting women's rights in their ongoing struggle against real misogyny. Fatal error. "YOU'RE TRANSPHOBIC" they howl even though she had made it clear she isn't.

People like my whatever-the-gender-neutral-alternative-to-son's ex BFs and my old mate who is trans male to female and *genuine* should be absolutely supported. That is not the same as dodgy Dave the deviant suddenly self-identifying as female demanding access to a women's refuge.

That people on both sides of the debate cannot understand the difference is baffling to me. So I largely stay out of it.

For womens rights it creates a whole new set of issues that the pro trans people just don't seem to understand.

As I said the problem just isn't fixable so I try and keep as far away from it as possible.

The other issue is that you simply can't put a complete argument in 280 characters so anything you post on this topic on twitter will result in 1 tweet being taken out of context and used against you for every more.

At least on here you can post something long enough that it's impossible to use part of your argument completely out of context
    I'm not sure anyone claimed it was a "magic fix", which is perhaps your interpretation ?

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/a-fool-rushes-in-a-suggested-way-of-approaching-trans-rights-ccae2554fe31
    That was a very thoughtful piece from Mr Meeks, on what’s a very sensitive subject.
  • Options
    I know zero about cricket, but even I have heard the ECB have big issues with racism and the English team are hopeless.

I suspect those two things are linked in some way.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    What does HYUFD stand for? I don't mean politically, I mean the initials.
    Don't worry if it's a name, I don't need to know that. But it "feels" like a short phrase. Anyone know?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited December 2021

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

He was supposed to be on suicide watch, but the guards were asleep, the cameras not working, and the post-mortem suggested his injuries could be from strangulation rather than hanging.

Now, it could all be co-incidence, he saw an opportunity and went for it in a clumsy way. But the conspiracy theorists are indeed having a field day with the story. There were definitely an awful lot of people happy to see him dead.
    Thanks. I assume Maxwell will be watched extremely carefully - a second suicide/'suicide' would set the twittersphere alight.
    She’s not going to commit suicide… she’s going to catch covid and die from that instead
  • Options
    edited December 2021

No.

She explains it herself:

Shouldn't people just leave trans people alone? As their rights are covered under the equality act. Whatever people think of debates on 'gender', calling trans people predators as Rowling and Duffield have been doing is not acceptable and is obviously going to cause unnecessary upset. It's really quite pathetic how the media is stoking this as well in this country compared with say Germany.

Don't get me started on Joanna Cherry or Kathleen Stock either.
    I would be very careful about saying Rowling called trans people predators.

The issue is that there are predators who like to (ab)use trans people clothing and trans supporters are ignoring the issue because they seemingly can't grasp / don't understand that some people have bad intentions.

Were the risk of misidentification slight it wouldn't be an issue but the risk of misidentification here is (theoretically) rape in what should be a safe space.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

eek said:

Alastair's issue is that he assumes everyone involved is doing it for Good intentions (and even then he is showing the problems).

The issue is that we already know multiple people (not many but more than zero) are going to use it for evil intent so his Principle 3 is just wrong.

And given that his entire idea is based on and built upon an invalid principle the rest of the argument falls apart.

Basically I once again return to my original point - the problem isn't fixable because both people have perfectly valid points over a very binary issue. And the issue comes done to the fact that not everyone has good intentions regardless of how much you wish it wasn't true.
    It is a numbers game, and the problem is this: stats are hard to come by but say one in 40,000 men are m to f trans whereas say 1 in 40 men, certainly more than 1 in 400, are opportunistic shits one way or another. So if you have a self declared m to f wanting to go to a women's prison or take part in a womens weightlifting contest, it is in the order of 100/1 to 1000/1 on that you are looking at an opportunistic heterosexual cis male shit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

If you believe the conspiracy theorists, the Queen, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates and Donald Trump would all be on a videocall this morning deciding Ghislaine's fate. Ludicrous of course
    Of course it’s ludicrous

Who needs a video call when you are part of the HIVEmind (TM)
  • Options

I can't understand anyone wanting to perform LFTs beyond what is required or recommended by the government. It is just an unpleasant thing to do, especially if you have to take throat samples.

Newer LFT kits are nose only, so far easier. (Some wonder if there is a decline in accuracy but we can let the test tube rattlers worry about that.)
  • Options

No.

She explains it herself:

calling trans people predators as Rowling and Duffield have been doing
    Citation required.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Informative thread:

Covid-19 keeps throwing up policy decisions requiring difficult judgements between competing objectives. Reducing covid isolation from 7 days to 5 is another one of these. There is often no “obvious single right answer” to these complex decisions, whatever some argue…1/19

I wonder when Chris Hopson is going to get told off for going against the agenda of more lockdowns and more isolation. He's been a beacon of honesty among all the lies and damned statistics.
  • Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Well done in confirming my point that most trans "supporters" don't have a first clue about what the actual issue is.

A lot of women need safe women only / man free spaces because of past issues / trauma they have experienced.
    And by "women only / man free" its biological sex not gender that is the issue. Something the pro-trans outraged don't seem to get.
    "Biological sex"... so Buck Angel should be using female spaces because he was female at birth?

And the late April Ashley MBE should be forced into the Gents?

• Options

Informative thread:

Governments aim to keep infection rates manageable. They don't in general aim to prevent all infection. I suspect a motivation for longer isolation, which they don't admit to, is that they keep potentially infectious people out of circulation. If they allowed shorter isolation periods they would need to find other NPIs to compensate.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,633
    IshmaelZ said:

Good news - my LFTs have arrived. No Royal Mail emails, so a pleasant surprise.

Not so good news - I realised that I forgot to put the bin out last night, and now I've missed the collection. Funny how what was the highlight of my week during shielding is now something that slips my mind.

Have you double checked that you haven't been rescheduled to mid January anyway? No collections here this week
    No - business as usual. All of the neighbours' bins are lined up and empty.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Don't worry if it's a name, I don't need to know that. But it "feels" like a short phrase. Anyone know?

I asked him once. He did not say. All I know is he’s a fellow friendly horse!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited December 2021

I know someone who is doing 5 tests a day just because someone they saw someone a week ago who now has Omicron. If that type of behaviour is being repeated then no wonder there are supply problems for tests.

Yesterday in SA they did 34,753 tests some of which had to be paid for by the person taking the test.

In the UK we did 1,476,216 tests all of which were free.

And our testing system is a "shambles"

Only an hour or so ago I heard on the radio a medic lauding the SA testing system because of how many PCR tests they do. Yet we in the UK do far more PCR tests than SA even if it is a smaller percentage of the total due to the vast number of LFTs. Some people just hate this country without any reason.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

franklyn said:

Well the Maxwell verdict has taken the heat off Bojo for 24 hours, but his Covid plans are in disarray (just like his hair, his finances, and his relations with Princess Nut Nut.

With 200,000 omicron cases per day, and household members, and workers in key jobs, supposed to be doing daily lateral flow tests, we need several million lateral flow kits every day, and these are simply not going to be available any time soon. PCR tests are also not available in the numbers required, so the whole testing system is in a total state of collapse.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess.

We stop this middle class obsession of doing a LFT every day and start doing the level of testing other western countries do.
    It is government policy rather than a middle-class obsession that we take an LFT test before going out or having friends round, or twice a week if we have no friends, and daily if we are isolating after a close contact with a plague carrier.
    Its a government policy which has spawned a middle class obsession.

But the government policy does seem something from the 'track and trace' era of controlling covid rather than accepting its here and living with it.

And also a government policy which wanted to make use of the vast number of LFTs they had bought - that they're now desperately buying up ever more LFTs to feed the middle class obsession that has resulted is amusing in a collective madness sort of way.
    I think you're aiming at the wrong target. It's not just a government policy. In his pre-Christmas press conference, the PM explicitly told everybody that they should enjoy Christmas, but that before they go and socialise they should always take an LFT test. Both he and other ministers have repeated this mantra over the last week in reference to NY as well. Hardly a middle class obsession. It's not surprising that demand for and use of LFTs is off the scale. If you think that's wrong, blame the PM.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    FF43 said:

I know zero about cricket, but even I have heard the ECB have big issues with racism and the English team are hopeless.

As you say you don't know anything about cricket. England team is the premier one day team in the world and lots of diversity within that team.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

As far as I understand it, I think she meant that there are only two sexes.
    I have no idea what she meant and I am not getting into a dull and sterile debate.
    Just some advice Charles, you don't have to reply :)

All the best.
    I have the right to reply as I see fit. As, of course do you.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Ok, I won't press it if it's private or meaningless. Just curious.
  • Options
    We have had many cruises across the four corners of the world and used to think the odd outbreak of norovirus was a problem but never imagined covid would cause such mayhem in the cruise industry

We are so grateful we have travelled so much prior to covid with our last cruise in September 2019 from Southampton to Newfoundland, Canada, New England and New York returning to Southampton absolutely fabulous

Every cruise line has been affected by the current surge in Covid-19 cases due to the omicron variant. The lion’s share of the 86 cruise ships under watch belong to the largest three cruise operators: Carnival operates 32, Royal Caribbean operates 25 and Norwegian Cruise Line operates 15. All four ships operated by Disney Cruise Line are also on yellow, according to the CDC website.

Despite tight industrywide protocols — including pre-departure Covid testing as well as vaccine mandates — it is not uncommon for ship passengers or crew to test positive for the illness.

Cruise ships are allowed to relax mask use onboard if at least 95% of passengers and 95% of crew are fully vaccinated or in specific areas accessible only to fully vaccinated passengers. “However, CDC continues to advise cruise ship operators to require masks indoors and in crowded outdoor areas regardless of vaccination status due to the increased transmissibility of variants of concern,” said Reed.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/29/pc-jailed-for-attacking-members-of-the-public-found-dead-at-home

The guardian link to the samaritans along with other news outlets. But what could the samaritans do to help someone in his position? A policeman just out of jail and facing another trial for alleged ABH - possibly a much longer sentence; and the prospect that it will never end, as more and more claims emerge. I don't want to excuse violence by police officers, but they are engaged in difficult work and have to make very difficult judgements under pressure, these are young people on a relatively low salary. Who would honestly go in to policing?

The public lust for punishment and vengeance, opportunistically encouraged by the government, seems to be so strong that it overrides any prospect of rehabilitation for lots of people convicted of criminal offences, particularly violent or sexual offences. But where does this ultimately lead us? Should we just encourage euthanasia of the damned? Amongst many other things, this is something that terrifies me about this country.

• Options
    glw said:

I know someone who is doing 5 tests a day just because someone they saw someone a week ago who now has Omicron. If that type of behaviour is being repeated then no wonder there are supply problems for tests.

Yesterday in SA they did 34,753 tests some of which had to be paid for by the person taking the test.

Only an hour or so ago I heard on the radio a medic lauding the SA testing system because of how many PCR tests they do. Yet we in the UK do far more PCR tests than SA even if it is a smaller percentage of the total due to the vast number of LFTs. Some people just hate this country without any reason.
    When you laud the efforts of country X you don't silently attack country Y.

So unless you've missed something in your reporting where the medic complained about the UK you seem to have leapt to a completely invalid conclusion.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

As @eek said “ As I said the problem just isn't fixable so I try and keep as far away from it as possible”, so clearly we were right to leave the EU

😜
  • Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

"Biological sex"... so Buck Angel should be using female spaces because he was female at birth?

No, of course not.

The issue is the edge cases, for example the woman who, as a man, committed rape, and is now requesting she be transferred to a women’s prison, despite the fact she has functioning male genitalia. That was an actual case, and resulted in two women prisoners being sexually assaulted.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/11/karen-white-how-manipulative-and-controlling-offender-attacked-again-transgender-prison
  • Options

FF43 said:

As you say you don't know anything about cricket. England team is the premier one day team in the world and lots of diversity within that team.
    I think the only place with racism issues was Yorkshire and that's because YCCC seems to follow the Yorkshire approach that if you haven't lived in Yorkshire since at least Viking times (and have the family tree to back it up) you aren't a true Yorkshireman.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MattW said:

Charles said:

eek said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The same people that said Delta was nothing to worry about, are those that are saying Omicron is nothing to worry about.

So is anyone who said Delta was nothing to worry about, going to stick their head up and say this is different

I don't recall you calling for a lockdown when Delta was around, we didn't need one was what you and several others said. I remember arguing with you about it
    My point is you were wrong then and so I am interested in people that did call for a lockdown then who don't think there is anything to worry about now.

What I am hearing now is the same people that initially said "nothing to worry about" then said "lockdown isn't needed" then said "lockdown 2.0 isn't needed". It's the same people

But the French elite are so paranoid about Brexit, so allergic to it and fearful of it, they set a low bar for its success. Britain surviving intact and not starving to death will probably seem quite successful to them. given their direful predictions of total British implosion.

Then the next time the EU does something widely unpopular, eurosceptics across the continent will start to look longingly at independent London.

This is the great French fear. By this guy's account it does stalk their nightmares.
    By blocking British residents of Belgium or the Netherlands who want to use EuroTunnel and transit France?

Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.

Exactly. They aren't treating us differently. They're applying the 3rd country rules which our government demanded be imposed upon us.
    What’s the warning

I don't understand the complaints. What did they think "3rd country" meant? This is what they demanded and they've succeeded in being treated thus.

Just wait until next week when the usual suspects try and blame the French for our lack of Border Control Posts, staff or computers.
    Except the rights of British citizens with legal residency in the EU that pre-dates Brexit have their rights protected by treaty.

I think this is just Macron being a twat again, assuming the allegation is true.

Blocking the UK, when Belgium had had case rates twice as high as our peak at that point for weeks was the action of a kneejerking numpty.

Why should we comment? This is what Leavers wanted. To be outside the EU and to be treated like outsiders.

Well congrats!
    Because it’s a breach of the Withdrawal Treaty in the same way that they got very excited about the administrative procedures on settled status.
    It is - in the same way that other border closures were breaches of other treaties like Schengen. But its a pandemic - temporary breaches are permitted.

Again, we are being treated as we demanded - as a 3rd country. They had to arbitrate on which exceptions to their medically induced ban would exist and they have tret us like the rest of the world not Europe. At our request.

You and others complaining demonstrates English exceptionalism at its finest. That "treat us like a 3rd country" actually meant "we don't want to be European but you will do what we bally well say because we are English and that means we get to make all the rules".

My comment is really about the hypocrisy of people who launch into the UK for a reasonable administrative procedure and find excuses when an EU country does something that is equally in breach of the treaty.

Pretty much English exceptionalism in a neat summary post, thanks. "Reasonable Administrative Procedure" indeed.
    Sure. We gave people up to 5 years extra to qualify for residency so no one need miss out
  • Options
    Charles said:

eek said:

eek said:

As @eek said “ As I said the problem just isn't fixable so I try and keep as far away from it as possible”, so clearly we were right to leave the EU

😜
    That's actually a more coherent Brexit Policy than any our Government has come up with since June 2016.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

Do you mean Downing Street or Westminster?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

IshmaelZ said:

Good news - my LFTs have arrived. No Royal Mail emails, so a pleasant surprise.

Not so good news - I realised that I forgot to put the bin out last night, and now I've missed the collection. Funny how what was the highlight of my week during shielding is now something that slips my mind.

Have you double checked that you haven't been rescheduled to mid January anyway? No collections here this week
    No - business as usual. All of the neighbours' bins are lined up and empty.
    Your sporadic updates on your bin situation are a breath of fresh air amid all the gloom and doom on here, thank you.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Farooq said:

ISTR he said it was some randomly generated password he had one time or something like that.
    Really nothing more behind it.
    But it won't be long before he's on shift to confirm or deny.
  • Options

@thejamesmax

Agree about toilets. "disabled" is an already somewhat excluding term. Calling them '"private" or "alternative" deals with both problems.
  • Options
    Charles said:

eek said:

eek said:

😜
    "the problem [...] isn't [...] the EU"
    --Charles
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

No, of course not.

The issue is the edge cases, for example the woman who, as a man, committed rape, and is now requesting she be transferred to a women’s prison, despite the fact she has functioning male genitalia. That was an actual case, and resulted in two women prisoners being sexually assaulted.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/11/karen-white-how-manipulative-and-controlling-offender-attacked-again-transgender-prison
    The other issue is that those edge cases may not be a tiny minority of cases. Its easily, possible, as @IshmaelZ highlighted below, that there could be more men of bad faith than actual transwomen.
  • Options

We have had many cruises across the four corners of the world and used to think the odd outbreak of norovirus was a problem but never imagined covid would cause such mayhem in the cruise industry

We are so grateful we have travelled so much prior to covid with our last cruise in September 2019 from Southampton to Newfoundland, Canada, New England and New York returning to Southampton absolutely fabulous

Every cruise line has been affected by the current surge in Covid-19 cases due to the omicron variant. The lion’s share of the 86 cruise ships under watch belong to the largest three cruise operators: Carnival operates 32, Royal Caribbean operates 25 and Norwegian Cruise Line operates 15. All four ships operated by Disney Cruise Line are also on yellow, according to the CDC website.

Despite tight industrywide protocols — including pre-departure Covid testing as well as vaccine mandates — it is not uncommon for ship passengers or crew to test positive for the illness.

Cruise ships are allowed to relax mask use onboard if at least 95% of passengers and 95% of crew are fully vaccinated or in specific areas accessible only to fully vaccinated passengers. “However, CDC continues to advise cruise ship operators to require masks indoors and in crowded outdoor areas regardless of vaccination status due to the increased transmissibility of variants of concern,” said Reed.

Why 95% and not 100? I realise these may be medical exemptions. Do they outline their reasoning?
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599
    I am not a lawyer but I would like to pick brains on here regarding the Ghislaine Maxwell case. My questions are:

People on here have talked about her revealing names as part of a plea bargain, but as the Maxwell family saying they are challenging the verdict, wouldn't revealing names be tantamount to accepting the guilty verdict?

What are the chances of the Maxwells repeatedly challenging on points of law until the verdict is overturned?

Where is the Maxwell family getting the money from for this extensive and expensive legal defence?

I would genuinely welcome any thoughts on these matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

FF43 said:

I think the only place with racism issues was Yorkshire and that's because YCCC seems to follow the Yorkshire approach that if you haven't lived in Yorkshire since at least Viking times (and have the family tree to back it up) you aren't a true Yorkshireman.
    There is an wider issue with a lack of particularly black kids coming through. But that is less to do with racism and more to do with little school cricket, probably not helped by the cricket going to sky, but the biggest thing, the shear drag of other sports.

Football, particularly since the expansion of academy program, hoovers up masses of talent and places restrictions on what the kids can do and of course the money is huge. But also seeing other sports like rugby looking wider and again the money can be really good.

Its the reason West Indies have become piss poor at cricket, other sports just have a much bigger upside.

Gone are the days where if you show talent you tinker at different sports in the winter and summer. My mates kid is in a top tier football academy, its a year round thing.

Cricket is piss poor money for a standard county player. You have to get through that, establish yourself as a really good one day player, then you can earn.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MattW said:

Charles said:

eek said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What’s the warning

Well congrats!

Yes, there were plenty on here saying "ban all travel". Now the French are trying it (which personally I think is a waste of time) the same posters are trying to make a point of it.
    Its totally a waste of time - they already have Omicron so they're as fucked as their neighbours.

But - and its a very bit but - it is an established principle that countries have the absolute right in an emergency to change processes even if written into treaty. This was the point being made last March "THEY CAN'T CLOSE THEIR BORDERS COS SCHENGEN" and yet they did close their borders and we didn't.

How a nation chooses to draw up its pandemic emergency powers is up to that nation. Some of our red list country bans have made no sense at all, yet here we are shouting at the French for doing the same. Instead of an arbitrary red list they have done an arbitrary EU list. We aren't EU, we demanded not to be EU and be tret like ROW and now we're Outraged that we're seen as not EU and as ROW.

What the frack is wrong with some people? This is what you wanted!
    Closing to transit is unusual
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

glw said:

So unless you've missed something in your reporting where the medic complained about the UK you seem to have leapt to a completely invalid conclusion.
    It was in the context of "what has gone wrong with testing?" Saying SA does more PCR tests was only true as a fraction of the total testing, in reality the UK does over 20 times as many PCR tests per capita each day, and it is a smaller fraction of the total testing because we do a huge number of LFTs as well. It was a misleading statement, made by the sort of person who should know better.
  • Options

franklyn said:

Well the Maxwell verdict has taken the heat off Bojo for 24 hours, but his Covid plans are in disarray (just like his hair, his finances, and his relations with Princess Nut Nut.

With 200,000 omicron cases per day, and household members, and workers in key jobs, supposed to be doing daily lateral flow tests, we need several million lateral flow kits every day, and these are simply not going to be available any time soon. PCR tests are also not available in the numbers required, so the whole testing system is in a total state of collapse.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess.

We stop this middle class obsession of doing a LFT every day and start doing the level of testing other western countries do.
    It is government policy rather than a middle-class obsession that we take an LFT test before going out or having friends round, or twice a week if we have no friends, and daily if we are isolating after a close contact with a plague carrier.
    Its a government policy which has spawned a middle class obsession.

But the government policy does seem something from the 'track and trace' era of controlling covid rather than accepting its here and living with it.

And also a government policy which wanted to make use of the vast number of LFTs they had bought - that they're now desperately buying up ever more LFTs to feed the middle class obsession that has resulted is amusing in a collective madness sort of way.
    I think you're aiming at the wrong target. It's not just a government policy. In his pre-Christmas press conference, the PM explicitly told everybody that they should enjoy Christmas, but that before they go and socialise they should always take an LFT test. Both he and other ministers have repeated this mantra over the last week in reference to NY as well. Hardly a middle class obsession. It's not surprising that demand for and use of LFTs is off the scale. If you think that's wrong, blame the PM.
    We've had reports here that local councils are asking parents to take a LFT every day.

Which is the sort of obsessional madness I'm referring to.

I will say I doubt anyone at any level of government or public organisation has bothered to calculate the number of LFTs required if everyone took as many tests as they have been requested to.

As to it being a middle class idiocy I suspect, somewhat like mask wearing, those taking LFTs on a regular basis are heavily skewed towards the middle class.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Much better day today on the energy markets, this nice strong wind is providing 43% of our electrical power and gas just 11.75%. Plus with the warmer weather gas usage will be substantially down as well.

On LFTs, there will be none around next week either as the bulk of schools will be going back and they've been ordered to test everyone twice in the first week over and above the home testing regime.

This is because the DfE, DoH and local health boards are total fucking morons on the intellectual level of Piers Corbyn although slightly less unpleasant.

It also means if you need an LFT to test for the virus, you won't be able to get one.

Therefore, expect the whole system to collapse entirely as being more useless than Amanda Spielman within the next fortnight.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,197
    edited December 2021
    What an idiot. Completely unhelpful.

This, from the man who thought blacking up was acceptable when he did it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Not really.

Both are more specific.

One being loutishness at a few cricket clubs the other being a complete unwillingness to prepare properly for tours of Australia specifically and test cricket generally.
  • Options

eek said:

FF43 said:

There is an wider issue with a lack of particularly black kids coming through. But that is less to do with racism and more to do with little school cricket, probably not helped by the cricket going to sky, but the biggest thing, the shear drag of other sports.

Football, particularly since the expansion of academy program, hoovers up masses of talent and places restrictions on what the kids can do and of course the money is huge. But also seeing other sports like rugby looking wider and again the money can be really good.

Its the reason West Indies have become piss poor at cricket, other sports just have a much bigger upside.

Gone are the days where if you show talent you tinker at different sports in the winter and summer. My mates kid is in a top tier football academy, its a year round thing.

Cricket is piss poor money for a standard county player. You have to get through that, establish yourself as a really good one day player, then you can earn.
    The Caribbean has switched to Basketball rather than cricket. It requires less space, less equipment, and if you are good enough it pays as well as football does.

Cricket until IPL couldn't compete and it still can't locally.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

eek said:

glw said:

It was in the context of "what has gone wrong with testing?" Saying SA does more PCR tests was only true as a fraction of the total testing, in reality the UK does over 20 times as many PCR tests per capita each day, and it is a smaller fraction of the total testing because we do a huge number of LFTs as well. It was a misleading statement, made by the sort of person who should know better.
    There's a certain class of liberal that loathes this nation and everything about it.
    Can you name any in particular?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

eek said:

glw said:

There's a certain class of liberal that loathes this nation and everything about it.
    Lord Adonis.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Tbf. The Western Standard is not an unbiased source. To say the least!* It is a 24/7 hardcore anti-Trudeau site. You may as well link to skwawkbox.

* Although it did some surprisingly good, balanced polling reports during the election.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MattW said:

Charles said:

eek said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What’s the warning

Well congrats!

Yes, there were plenty on here saying "ban all travel". Now the French are trying it (which personally I think is a waste of time) the same posters are trying to make a point of it.
    Its totally a waste of time - they already have Omicron so they're as fucked as their neighbours.

But - and its a very bit but - it is an established principle that countries have the absolute right in an emergency to change processes even if written into treaty. This was the point being made last March "THEY CAN'T CLOSE THEIR BORDERS COS SCHENGEN" and yet they did close their borders and we didn't.

How a nation chooses to draw up its pandemic emergency powers is up to that nation. Some of our red list country bans have made no sense at all, yet here we are shouting at the French for doing the same. Instead of an arbitrary red list they have done an arbitrary EU list. We aren't EU, we demanded not to be EU and be tret like ROW and now we're Outraged that we're seen as not EU and as ROW.

What the frack is wrong with some people? This is what you wanted!
    Closing to transit is unusual
    I suspect the fear is that the person will be able to transit into XYZ at the border so leaves France with the problem.

It also strikes me as typical French point scoring.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

The Caribbean has switched to Basketball rather than cricket. It requires less space, less equipment, and if you are good enough it pays as well as football does.

Cricket until IPL couldn't compete and it still can't locally.
    Also of course things like athletics.....Jamaica alone is better than the might of the USA at sprint events.

In the UK, my understanding is participation wise basketball is also increasingly popular.

Cricket is also one of those games that is incredibly time consuming and of course all the kit etc. And in an urban environment, you can't really play it in the UK without going to a club.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MattW said:

Charles said:

eek said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What’s the warning

Well congrats!

Bureaucratic desire for tidiness, I think. You have the other EU members category and you have the third country category with the UK moving from the first to the second category. They don't want to create a third anomalous category for the UK based on geography.
    And that’s ok for France… and a very good description of what the UK did
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I have no idea what she meant and I am not getting into a dull and sterile debate.
    as 100% correct as well. People can imagine what they want but fact is there are only men and women and you are born one or the other. You can lead your life how you like but it should not enable you to tramp over other people's rights. SNP are in for a severe kicking on this self ID fcukwittery, aligning themselves with the evil Greens will not stem the tide either.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

I am not a lawyer but I would like to pick brains on here regarding the Ghislaine Maxwell case. My questions are:

People on here have talked about her revealing names as part of a plea bargain, but as the Maxwell family saying they are challenging the verdict, wouldn't revealing names be tantamount to accepting the guilty verdict?

What are the chances of the Maxwells repeatedly challenging on points of law until the verdict is overturned?

Where is the Maxwell family getting the money from for this extensive and expensive legal defence?

I would genuinely welcome any thoughts on these matters.

Too late for a plea bargain which as the name suggests involves pleading guilty and is a deal with the prosecution who, at least in English law, are now out of the picture. Sentencing is for the judge. The suggestion that she can spill beans at this stage to reduce her sentence verges on conspiracy theory, but some conspiracy theories are true.

Can't see an appeal succeeding certainly not on all counts. No idea about finances, she may have some Epstein money left and has a rich husband
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

eek said:

glw said:

Almost anyone on Twitter that Scott retweets here.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

eek said:

glw said:

Lord Adonis.
    Demonstrably false in about 30 seconds:
    https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1184499618672975873
    https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1424334876359147525
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Why 95% and not 100? I realise these may be medical exemptions. Do they outline their reasoning?
    Seems not - strange
  • Options

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

eek said:

glw said:

Almost anyone on Twitter that Scott retweets here.
    We can add "particular" to the list of words you don't understand.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited December 2021
    dixiedean said:

Tbf. The Western Standard is not an unbiased source. To say the least!* It is a 24/7 hardcore anti-Trudeau site. You may as well link to skwawkbox.

* Although it did some surprisingly good, balanced polling reports during the election.
    It does look like the lowest vaccination rates are in Western Canada, which is the most conservative part of Canada too and the part which most dislikes Trudeau and his Liberal government.

So similar to the US where the lowest vaccination rates are in the Trumpite, anti President Biden, conservative South
  • Options

MaxPB said:

glw said:

eek said:

glw said:

There’s also a certain class of conservative that loves this nation but hates almost everyone in it.
    True. I think it's idealisation on both sides, the conservatives idealise the UK and what it was and are unable to let go of that image. Liberals idealise other nations that they think are better than the UK and it makes them despise what the UK is because it doesn't live up to their image of what nations should be.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

DavidL said:

Charles said:

That is just bollox Bev, pardon the pun. Giving men the rights to be in women's places where they have to undress etc is just totally wrong given that 90% of them still have their block and tackle and some are real bad un's. You cannot trample the majority's rights on the whim of a very small minority who want extra rights at the expense of the majority.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Hell Yes! Unveiled for debate

(A reference to EdM’s comment on one of the debates)

Or a random name chosen, for reasons unknown, on a different website at the dawn of the internet age.

You choose
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

You have this strange view that everyone is “shouting you down”.

You made a point. @edmundintokyo responded on a gentle but somewhat acerbic style as is his wont. You can respond or not as you see fit.
    And you can sod off and stop wading into my comments at every turn, have a lovely day Charles
    I get it. You don’t like debate and you don’t like criticism. Well, I’m sorry, that’s not how this site works. If you want to play in the sandbox you operate by the rules of the game.
    No I just find you boring. All the best.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Just some advice Charles, you don't have to reply :)

All the best.
    I have the right to reply as I see fit. As, of course do you.
    Of course you do mate, I also have a right to call you boring - as I am sure you think the same for me. Take care.
  • Options
    I hope this works.

So there you are, a bunch of relevant countries showing the tests done and positive results. Note where South Africa and the UK are. There is as far as I know no country with a population like ours doing anything like as much testing as we are.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

No, of course not.

The other issue is that those edge cases may not be a tiny minority of cases. Its easily, possible, as @IshmaelZ highlighted below, that there could be more men of bad faith than actual transwomen.
    Then the issue is to apply the law. If I was in a Ladies changing room and I started flashing my privates at other women and making lewd suggestions, then I would be thrown out and possibly arrested. Being a woman would not save me from prosecution.

On a side note... a high profile legal case has just concluded were a woman was convicted of sexual matters related to other women. Being a woman is no guarantee of good behaviour, nor is it a get-out-of-jail-free card.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Farooq said:

Hell Yes! Unveiled for debate

(A reference to EdM’s comment on one of the debates)

Or a random name chosen, for reasons unknown, on a different website at the dawn of the internet age.

You choose
    Have Your Union Flag Disinfected
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

eek said:

eek said:

😜
    That's actually a more coherent Brexit Policy than any our Government has come up with since June 2016.
    Damming with faint praise…
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

No, of course not.

Yes, as Mr Meeks notes in his piece, in prisons and elite sports, there isn’t necessarily the good faith that we might see in other areas of life.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,648
    Another encouraging paper.

SARS-CoV-2 vaccination induces immunological memory able to cross-recognize variants from Alpha to Omicron
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.28.474333v1
    ...We address whether T cell responses induced by different vaccine platforms (mRNA-1273, BNT162b2, Ad26.COV2.S, NVX-CoV2373) cross-recognize SARS-CoV-2 variants. Preservation of at least 83% and 85% for CD4+ and CD8+ T cell responses was found, respectively, regardless of vaccine platform or variants analyzed. By contrast, highly significant decreases were observed for memory B cell and neutralizing antibody recognition of variants. Bioinformatic analyses showed full conservation of 91% and 94% of class II and class I spike epitopes. For Omicron, 72% of class II and 86% of class I epitopes were fully conserved, and 84% and 85% of CD4+ and CD8+ T cell responses were preserved. In-depth epitope repertoire analysis showed a median of 11 and 10 spike epitopes recognized by CD4+ and CD8+ T cells from vaccinees. Functional preservation of the majority of the T cell responses may play an important role as a second-level defense against diverse variants...
This discussion has been closed.