Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Vote Green, Go Blue? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Pakistan need 72 from 54, still with all ten wickets.

Should be an easy win for the chasing team.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    I'm not watching, but Man U have a big problem now, their best player with the ball doesn't do his share of pressing off the ball.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Keita being stretchered off. Hope he's OK and not badly hurt. VAR very justified there to give the red card.

Same here. Bad challenge.

However, have to say, this is such a great day. United getting absolutely pulverised. The only sadness will be that Ole has to go post this.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133

DougSeal said:

Last time I saw a red as obvious as that at Old Trafford was Ben Flower in the Rugby League Grand Final in 2014

If this was boxing it would be stopped
    TBF I think boxing was what Ben Flower thought he was doing
  • Options
    The crowds deserting Old Trafford says it all

Ole lost the supporters
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Deathly silence in the media about today's Covid numbers. Doesn't really fit very well with all their headlines from this morning. Guardian appear to have even taken the extreme step of dropping their Covid tracker from their front page.

The only person having a worse day than OGS is Devi Sridhar.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Deathly silence in the media about today's Covid numbers. Doesn't really fit very well with all their headlines from this morning. Guardian appear to have even taken the extreme step of dropping their Covid tracker from their front page.

And I am not even sure of that
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    alex_ said:

Sajid Javid will be delighted at the decline in Covid cases today, after warning at his press conference last week that cases could well reach 100,000 a day. I guess he was scaremongering as well, along with iSage, lockdown advocates, and Starmer.

Of course he was. He was setting a deliberately high bar (which he knew would likely never be approached) for the introduction of restrictions as a means of being able to resist pressure for introducing any restrictions.
    Well, we shall have to see what happens as November drags on and the lockdown screaming from all the usual suspects keeps getting louder. But if Javid does succeed in checkmating the ISAGE tendency then you can slash his odds for the Tory succession.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,157

Keita being stretchered off. Hope he's OK and not badly hurt. VAR very justified there to give the red card.

I’m not a fan of the severity of an injury affecting whether it is a red or yellow card. Sometimes injuries are unlucky. But that was shocking from Pogba. If I were OGS I’d quit tonight, live on tv. Leicester showed what could happen, putting four past them. The only reason this won’t be embarrassing is if Liverpool settle.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    39,000 cases is not the good news some people think it is.
    Covidton window in action here.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,146

alex_ said:

Had she made a prediction?

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Sandpit said:

Pakistan need 72 from 54, still with all ten wickets.

Should be an easy win for the chasing team.

Certainly India need something special to turn it round. They could do it, but don’t look like it.

Stunningly beautiful stadium, a real feat of modern architecture.

Shame about the pitch which is so slow.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    alex_ said:

Let's see what this week and beyond brings, we have had fluctuations before with figures both up and down, we need more data to see if we are heading in a positive direction or not.

Some people on here months ago said we 'peaked' and that was proven not to be the case. I don't think we know anything concrete yet.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

#directionoftravel
  • Options

alex_ said:

Varun Chakravarthy might disagree.

And we haven’t even had Verstappen’s latest crash yet.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    edited October 2021

I’m not a fan of the severity of an injury affecting whether it is a red or yellow card. Sometimes injuries are unlucky. But that was shocking from Pogba. If I were OGS I’d quit tonight, live on tv. Leicester showed what could happen, putting four past them. The only reason this won’t be embarrassing is if Liverpool settle.
    As a United supporter Ole resigning tonight is the right thing to do

Not because of one bad result but it has been coming for a while
  • Options

alex_ said:

Virat Kholi deserves a mention in the having-a-bad-day award.
  • Options

Goal difference could be important at the end of this season. I'd love to see two more goals to make this the record victory in this fixture and boost our goal difference further. Already though this will have helped.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,326
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by a specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK Local R

Definite signs of a drop in R, now

• Options

Farooq said:

#directionoftravel
    Yes, and I hope it's repeated over and over again in the coming days. It's still very high though.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    UK cases summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,126
    Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Virat Kholi deserves a mention in the having-a-bad-day award.
    An absolute hammering so far.
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    Age related data scaled to 100K

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    jonny83 said:

alex_ said:

Let's see what this week and beyond brings, we have had fluctuations before with figures both up and down, we need more data to see if we are heading in a positive direction or not.

Some people on here months ago said we 'peaked' and that was proven not to be the case. I don't think we know anything concrete yet.
    Of course not, but the media have never been shy of jumping on one day's "on the high side" numbers when it suits them.
  • Options

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
  • Options
    Who was it who suggested backing Pakistan to win the World Cup at 7/1? That’s looking an awesome bet right about now.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

Some interesting posts by Scott_xP on the previous thread. Looks like the Truss's trade deals - Japan, NZ, Aus - are unravelling fast. I thought she'd be the most likely to succeed Boris, but at this rate she'll soon be a Tory pariah - the woman who ruined Brexit.

Never believe anything Scott n paste posts, especially if the link is to.the Guardian, the Daily Mail or Twitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sandpit said:

Who was it who suggested backing Pakistan to win the World Cup at 7/1? That’s looking an awesome bet right about now.

Certainly they’ve been all over India like a cheap suit in this match.

Edit 31 off 30 with 10 wickets in hand. If they lose from here…
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
    yeah, tired today

• Options

ydoethur said:

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
    yeah, tired today

Thanks. I thought it was probably just a mistake. No criticism was intended.

Your graphs and data crunching have been invaluable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
    yeah, tired today

The temptation to create an automated posting feature is strong. But it would be very rude to Mike...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Need more data, but today’s COVID numbers do suggest a feast of humble pie could be in order for some.

We’ll see. Too early to be certain.

I really hope for everyone this is the decline we all seek

If Boris and HMG have called this right then a large number of bodies and commentators will be eating humble pie
    “Should”… but probably not “will”…
  • Options

Age related data

Summary: the case spike is real, but most of it is caused by obsessive testing of near-invulnerable schoolchildren. Deaths are almost stable, and to the extent that there's any discernible rising trend it is amongst the over-75s (i.e. almost certainly very old people with multiple co-morbidities, as identified in the recently reported Italian stats that had a mean age for deaths amongst the vaccinated of 85, many of whom probably died with rather than of Covid and were on borrowed time anyway.)

These are the numbers that are causing various scientists to demand that we start the collapse back into yet another lockdown now. Because you know full bloody well that WFH and masks won't be enough for them (the BMA has already started howling for the re-imposition of social distancing IIRC,) and once they get what they want they'll be demanding the Rule of Six and the shutdown of the hospitality sector within the next fortnight.

I don't doubt that the hospitals are in real difficulty but they'll be considerably worse off if the Government is bankrupted and can no longer pay for medicines or nurses' wages. Shutting down for months and borrowing another £300bn isn't an option. The Government is right to prioritise the economy at this time.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,945
    edited October 2021
    Has anyone mentioned Turkey?

Erdogan has declared the Ambassadors from ten countries persona non grata as their countries have criticised Turkey for imprisoning a human rights activist: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59023465

Worth noting that the UK is *not* on the list, although the US, Canada, France and Germany are. Whether that should make us proud or sad is another matter altogether.
  • Options
    The bowling this over has been wider than Zsa Zsa Gabor’s legs.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    The two lead stories in Der Spiegel are both about the UK. One about the supposed epidemic of girls being drugged in clubs "since Boris Johnson's 'Freedom Day'" and one about how there's a shortage of bus drivers because they are being attracted by higher salaries driving lorries. They seem somewhat obsessed.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

The two lead stories in Der Spiegel are both about the UK. One about the supposed epidemic of girls being drugged in clubs "since Boris Johnson's 'Freedom Day'" and one about how there's a shortage of bus drivers because they are being attracted by higher salaries driving lorries. They seem somewhat obsessed.

Lockdown to stop date rape? That’s a new one.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Wasn't the first story shown to be wrong/exaggerated after the police toxicology reports showed no evidence of drugging?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
    yeah, tired today

The temptation to create an automated posting feature is strong. But it would be very rude to Mike...
    You mean it’s not a script that does the whole thing automatically? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    I doubt if anybody noticed, but a couple of days ago on here I did tip Pakistan at 7/1 to win the tournament, and betted accordingly. They'll be a lot shorter than that after today.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Great news on the Covid numbers: hopefully this is more than just a half term and reversing of SW overcount issue.

Now, let's get on with getting people boosters (my wife and I are hoping to get ours today), and making sure that there are no need for restrictions.

(Of course, the government is usually well behind reality*, and will implement restrictions at exactly the moment it is obvious that cases are already heading downwards.)

* See India only going on the red list after cases had already started dropping
  • Options

I doubt if anybody noticed, but a couple of days ago on here I did tip Pakistan at 7/1 to win the tournament, and betted accordingly. They'll be a lot shorter than that after today.

Yep, great call.
  • Options
    There should have been more added minutes than that just for the injury, but I guess the ref felt sorry for United and didn't see a point in dragging this on any longer.

Man Utd 0 - 5 Liverpool. What a result! Will it be Ole's last?
  • Options
    That big six pretty much seals it for Pakistan.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
    yeah, tired today

You mean it’s not a script that does the whole thing automatically? :open_mouth:
    The charts are all generated automatically. It would be fairly simple to auto post them to the current thread on PB. But that would be rude.

Even worse would be autoposting at the start of the next thread, to grab 1st every time....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wasn't the first story shown to be wrong/exaggerated after the police toxicology reports showed no evidence of drugging?
    I saw statistics for the US, that showed that there was a ratio of about 10,000-to-1 of people who thought they'd been drugged with Rohypnol (but whose toxicology screens came up clean), and those people who had actually been drugged with it. I suspect the numbers will be the same for the UK.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,134
    DougSeal said:

Looking at Wikipedia it seems the record for largest victory in this fixture is Liverpool 7 - 1 Newton Heath back in the 19th century.

Could we come close to that today?

Every season I pray that Ipswich’s unwanted 9-0 record is superseded. Won’t happen today but one can only hope.

(what really pisses me off about it is that we beat Man U 6-0 in March 1980 and missed three penalties while doing it. But no one remembers that…)
    I remember well Ipswich beating newly promoted West.Brom 7-0 in an autumn evening game at Portman Road in 1976. We did win 4.0 later that season at the Hawthorns. But 7-0 ...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,146

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
    yeah, tired today

The charts are all generated automatically. It would be fairly simple to auto post them to the current thread on PB. But that would be rude.

Even worse would be autoposting at the start of the next thread, to grab 1st every time....
    You've obviously thought about it...

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Great news on the Covid numbers: hopefully this is more than just a half term and reversing of SW overcount issue.

Now, let's get on with getting people boosters (my wife and I are hoping to get ours today), and making sure that there are no need for restrictions.

(Of course, the government is usually well behind reality*, and will implement restrictions at exactly the moment it is obvious that cases are already heading downwards.)

Most schools are on half term next week. So it really can’t be that. A few like @OldKingCole ’s grandson/daughter may have a two week half term, but most won’t.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Erdogan has declared the Ambassadors from ten countries persona non grata as their countries have criticised Turkey for imprisoning a human rights activist: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59023465

Worth noting that the UK is *not* on the list, although the US, Canada, France and Germany are. Whether that should make us proud or sad is another matter altogether.

Ideally, and I do say ideally, we shouldn't have any dealings with the governments labelled purple on this map:

https://freedomhouse.org/explore-the-map?type=fiw&year=2021
  • Options
    Well, that was an absolute hammering. It was one of the most one-sided international matches you will ever see.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well, I obviously hope you're right that the Government holds its nerve (albeit that, even if it does, progress could yet be undone by a really terrible flu season.)

I'm certainly not as sanguine as others that a move to Plan B would cause no real damage. One reads that bookings for hotels and restaurants for the Christmas season are already much slower than usual. If any restrictions come back then I predict that many, perhaps most, of the population will roll its eyes, say 'here we go again', and assume that Christmas is going to be cancelled, with dire consequences.
  • Options
    Ten wicket victory - Kholi joins OGS on the bad day list.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

From speaking to my female friends and colleagues there is a really big worry about going out late. More than normal, however I don't think this is isolated to the UK. It's a trend I think every country is facing because of social media poisoning the minds of young people.
  • Options

There should have been more added minutes than that just for the injury, but I guess the ref felt sorry for United and didn't see a point in dragging this on any longer.

Man Utd 0 - 5 Liverpool. What a result! Will it be Ole's last?

It should be and well played Liverpool
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,847
    Big_G_NorthWales said:
    » show previous quotes

If Boris and HMG have called this right then a large number of bodies and commentators will be eating humble pie

Useless nonentity SKS called for Plan B to be enacted yesterday.

The man with the anti Midas touch.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    edited October 2021
    Sandpit said:

Yes, me. I also put a bit on Babar Azam at 9/1 to be top tournament run scorer. That's also looking better after today. I reckon he's the best in the world at the moment - even better than Kohli.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

My bet on United winning 4-2 is looking... well... on life support.

To be fair, you're a third of the way there. 😂😂😂
    Perhaps... I don't think I'm seeing that money again. Think of the things I could have done with that tenner instead of wasting it on OGS's ability to organise a midfield.
    Like contribute to the fund for OGS to fail to organise a piss-up in a brewery?

But don't worry, he's at the wheel.
    Oh I'm not worried. Please don't think for a moment I'm a Man U fan.
    hmmm, I can still cash out for half my stake... this isn't dead and buried just yet
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
    flatline
    Just think if you’d cashed out before posting….
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

The third story also says that British grandmothers are only heating their homes when their grandchildren visit.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

UK deaths

Wrong graph?
    yeah, tired today

You've obviously thought about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeQDTj1UllA&t=213s
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Most schools are on half term next week. So it really can’t be that. A few like @OldKingCole ’s grandson/daughter may have a two week half term, but most won’t.
    Even better news.

Of course, the reality is that such a large proportion of children have had Covid now, that schools should cease to be a major transmission vector going forward. If the remaining kids get vaccinated, and us middle aged and oldies get our boosters, we should be down to very low levels of Covid incidence sooner rather than later.

Let's not forget that cases can fall pretty quickly.
  • Options

The third story also says that British grandmothers are only heating their homes when their grandchildren visit.
    They’re still in the full ‘lover scorned’ stage, aren’t they?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ten wicket victory - Kholi joins OGS on the bad day list.

There is something amusing about both of them being comprehensive defeats to their arch-rivals too.

At least Ole after losing to both Leicester and Liverpool must have got through their rough patch in the fixture list.

*checks fixture list* Spurs, Man City, Watford, Chelsea, Arsenal

Poor old Ole, what a shame.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, I obviously hope you're right that the Government holds its nerve (albeit that, even if it does, progress could yet be undone by a really terrible flu season.)

I'm certainly not as sanguine as others that a move to Plan B would cause no real damage. One reads that bookings for hotels and restaurants for the Christmas season are already much slower than usual. If any restrictions come back then I predict that many, perhaps most, of the population will roll its eyes, say 'here we go again', and assume that Christmas is going to be cancelled, with dire consequences.
    My understanding is that the cities are heaving at the weekend. People may not *book* Christmas events (for fear of them being cancelled), but if they still go out, then the damage to the economy is likely to be negligble.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

From speaking to my female friends and colleagues there is a really big worry about going out late. More than normal, however I don't think this is isolated to the UK. It's a trend I think every country is facing because of social media poisoning the minds of young people.
    Re the needle version of spiking I think the evidence is a bit thin so far. It has all the hallmarks of a foaf type story. Not saying it hasn’t happened.
  • Options

Big_G_NorthWales said:
    » show previous quotes

Useless nonentity SKS called for Plan B to be enacted yesterday.

The man with the anti Midas touch.

Depends on your point of view. He gets such immediate results that if he didn’t exist we might have to invent him?

Of course today’s calls were purely political - call for “plan B” whilst barely expanding on what measures he thought should be introduced.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

My bet on United winning 4-2 is looking... well... on life support.

To be fair, you're a third of the way there. 😂😂😂
    Perhaps... I don't think I'm seeing that money again. Think of the things I could have done with that tenner instead of wasting it on OGS's ability to organise a midfield.
    Like contribute to the fund for OGS to fail to organise a piss-up in a brewery?

But don't worry, he's at the wheel.
    Oh I'm not worried. Please don't think for a moment I'm a Man U fan.
    hmmm, I can still cash out for half my stake... this isn't dead and buried just yet
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
    flatline
    Just think if you’d cashed out before posting….
    I never cash out. Much prefer to go down in a blaze of g... well, just a blaze in this case.

I'm available for all football betting tips, very reasonable rates, call 1-800-LOSENOW
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My granddaughter phoned from Leeds University last Thursday and said the students were so worried they are boycotting large social events and going out for a meal with a few trusted students
  • Options
    edited October 2021

MaxPB said:

Re the needle version of spiking I think the evidence is a bit thin so far. It has all the hallmarks of a foaf type story. Not saying it hasn’t happened.
    Usually what happens is there is one actual case, and then lots of people say "you know... I think that happened to me... Because the other week I woke up with this awful headache, and I was like... how did I get here?"

And then before you know it, people are estimating that something incredibly rare, is commonplace.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

rcs1000 said:

My understanding is that the cities are heaving at the weekend. People may not *book* Christmas events (for fear of them being cancelled), but if they still go out, then the damage to the economy is likely to be negligble.
    We went out for Sunday roast today at a local pub/restaurant and enquired about Christmas dinner. They said they've already sold out.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    On the subject of Rohypnol, there was once a denizen of this site who used to boast of getting on long haul flights, dropping a couple with a glass of wine, and only waking up at the other end.
  • Options

Let’s be honest they are not going to say the U.K. is a success because they then have to explain why they are still so restricted.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

MaxPB said:

My granddaughter phoned from Leeds University last Thursday and said the students were so worried they are boycotting large social events and going out for a meal with a few trusted students
    In a restaurant with 200 other diners?
  • Options

I thought the police has decided that the girls in question hadn’t *actually* been drugged?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

3 or 4 and not threatened by spiked drinks
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Let’s be honest they are not going to say the U.K. is a success because they then have to explain why they are still so restricted.
    Germany's a bit of a patchwork, isn't it? The States individually set restrictions, so some have very few restrictions while others still have mask mandates.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    edited October 2021
    MaxPB said:

There is a protest going on this Wednesday night across a lot of University cities in the UK. The plan is to boycott all clubs that night with further action planned going forward until the clubs do something to improve security for women. It is centred on Nottingham but Edinburgh, Sheffield and Exeter are also involved along with other cities. One of the things they want - quite rightly - is that if anyone is caught trying to spike drinks they are held by security and the police called. Given spiking is a serious crime one would think this would be happening anyway but apparently a lot of clubs are worried about getting into trouble with the licencing authorities and so just throw the scumbags out rather than getting the police involved. So of course they can just move on elsewhere and try again.

My daughter is at Nottingham and works in one of the local bars/cafes and she says the students are really worried about this fairly new development of injecting. There have been 12 injection cases reported in the last 2 weeks and 44 spiking cases in total since the start of term.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I thought the police has decided that the girls in question hadn’t *actually* been drugged?
    Depending on the drug, it may simply have been metabolised/excreted by the time of the test.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm very worried that the politicians will bottle it over the next few days. The lockdown forever people know that this is their last chance to force permanent NPIs as a lot of Europe seems to have done. The noise is going to get a lot higher this week and the government is going to have to ignore them.

MaxPB said:

A very sensible precaution.
  • Options
    Charles said:

No the police had not decided that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

There is a protest going on this Wednesday night across a lot of University cities in the UK. The plan is to boycott all clubs that night with further action planned going forward until the clubs do something to improve security for women. It is centred on Nottingham but Edinburgh, Sheffield and Exeter are also involved along with other cities. One of the things they want - quite rightly - is that if anyone is caught trying to spike drinks they are held by security and the police called. Given spiking is a serious crime one would think this would be happening anyway but apparently a lot of clubs are worried about getting into trouble with the licencing authorities and so just throw the scumbags out rather than getting the police involved. So of course they can just move on elsewhere and try again.

My daughter is at Nottingham and works in one of the local bars/cafes and she says the students are really worried about this fairly new development of injecting. There have been 12 injection cases reported in the last 2 weeks and 44 spiking cases in total since the start of term.
    My granddaughter is seriously worried as are her fellow students
  • Options
    Charles said:

I honestly don't trust the police at all right now and wouldn't blame women for not believing anything the police are saying. It's clear that police forces around the country simply don't take women's safety seriously.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ah, staying in. Sorry for thinking 'going out' meant to a public venue.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Rohypnol, there was once a denizen of this site who used to boast of getting on long haul flights, dropping a couple with a glass of wine, and only waking up at the other end.

Does a call flight involve the mile high club?
  • Options
    edited October 2021

MaxPB said:

I think you are missing the point

My granddaughter is going with a few trusted fellow students and sitting at a table in a restaurant

They are boycotting clubs and large gatherings

And they are scared
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm very worried that the politicians will bottle it over the next few days. The lockdown forever people know that this is their last chance to force permanent NPIs as a lot of Europe seems to have done. The noise is going to get a lot higher this week and the government is going to have to ignore them.
    I think the big fall in cases (assuming sustained, at least in the short term and no reason to think it won’t be) has come in time. Combined with the big numbers on booster vaccinations and I think (hope?) we will be safe. I think it is very important how anti-restriction some of the key players are compared to last year (Sunak won’t countenance more money and clearly Javid is much more inclined against than Hancock - Gove appears to be out of the picture) and less likely Johnson will be swayed.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,164
    I'm a Unionist who votes for the secessionist Green Party in Scotland, because I can see that voting for them has a positive effect on Green policies, and I know I can still vote for the Union in any referendum.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I think the big fall in cases (assuming sustained, at least in the short term and no reason to think it won’t be) has come in time. Combined with the big numbers on booster vaccinations and I think (hope?) we will be safe. I think it is very important how anti-restriction some of the key players are compared to last year (Sunak won’t countenance more money and clearly Javid is much more inclined against than Hancock - Gove appears to be out of the picture) and less likely Johnson will be swayed.

If anything the problem is that the pressure on the NHS is clearly immense - but it really is debateable that current levels of Covid (as opposed to the consequences of the last 18 months) have much to do with it. But it might be convenient for the Govt to use Covid as an excuse and a few restrictions as a pointless sop to the critics.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

My granddaughter is going with a few trusted fellow students and sitting at a table in a restaurant

And they are scared
    Sorry. Right. With you now. Keeping a safe distance from anyone who might be a threat to their safety.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Germany's a bit of a patchwork, isn't it? The States individually set restrictions, so some have very few restrictions while others still have mask mandates.
    It is. Went to Germany for business recently. First of all, the entry info on the German Govt website is confusing. Not entirely clear if you need a test if you are double vaccinated (you don't). Then you have the state rules so mine (Hamburg) were sending e-mails about why hadn't I actually had a test and then called me even though I was there for one night and was already back in the UK.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

MaxPB said:

And they are scared
    Sorry. Right. With you now. Keeping a safe distance from anyone who might be a threat to their safety.
    I cannot underplay how scared these students are and being in small groups of friends boycotting clubs and large gatherings is likely for the foreseeable future
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    rcs1000 said:

Sad that we are now down among the despots, not much further to fall.
This discussion has been closed.