Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The UK Government says opinion polls are more important than actual votes – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2021 in General
The UK Government says opinion polls are more important than actual votes – politicalbetting.com

Exclusive: Scotland could hold a second independence referendum if polls show 60 percent of Scots consistently support principle of a fresh vote, Scottish Secretary Alister Jack suggested in an interview with me yesterday. https://t.co/kKhwuRQNzG

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Aren’t opinion polls part of the GFA?
  • OT another reason for not getting involved in SPotY betting until the shortlist is known – Cristiano Ronaldo now plays for the team whose supporters won SPotY for Ryan Giggs in a year he'd done nothing of importance.

OT another reason for not getting involved in SPotY betting until the shortlist is known – Cristiano Ronaldo now plays for the team whose supporters won SPotY for Ryan Giggs in a year he'd done nothing of importance.

Ronaldo is Portuguese. And Ryan Giggs won his 11th league title in 2008-09, and I seem to recall he was very good in that season. You could argue Steve Redgrave didn’t do anything special in 2000.
  • Who is "me" in "interview with me" at the top of the abbreviated header on Vanilla?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

Looking it up it says:
    1. The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.

2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

3. The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1 earlier than seven years after the holding of a previous poll under this Schedule.

https://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/today/good_friday/full_text.html
    So it doesn't specifically mention opinion polls, I suppose he could look at the Betfair odds...
  • tlg86 said:

OT another reason for not getting involved in SPotY betting until the shortlist is known – Cristiano Ronaldo now plays for the team whose supporters won SPotY for Ryan Giggs in a year he'd done nothing of importance.

Ronaldo is Portuguese. And Ryan Giggs won his 11th league title in 2008-09, and I seem to recall he was very good in that season. You could argue Steve Redgrave didn’t do anything special in 2000.
    Ronaldo is Portuguese, yes, and Frankie Dettori is Italian but plies his trade in Britain and came third in 1996 (the year he went through the card at Ascot – his magnificent seven). The point about Giggs is that he received only three votes from people who did not support MUFC. Giggs was nearing retirement and the supporters club campaigned for him. The same supporters who might get behind Ronaldo who is arguably the best player in the world. I do not say it is likely and doubt Ronaldo will be nominated but following his transfer to Manchester United, it is possible.

tlg86 said:

Ronaldo is Portuguese, yes, and Frankie Dettori is Italian but plies his trade in Britain and came third in 1996 (the year he went through the card at Ascot – his magnificent seven). The point about Giggs is that he received only three votes from people who did not support MUFC. Giggs was nearing retirement and the supporters club campaigned for him. The same supporters who might get behind Ronaldo who is arguably the best player in the world. I do not say it is likely and doubt Ronaldo will be nominated but following his transfer to Manchester United, it is possible.
    Dettori came here as a kid and is considered “one of our own”. I would be less shocked if Rashord is nominated than if Ronaldo is.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Dettori came here as a kid and is considered “one of our own”. I would be less shocked if Rashord is nominated than if Ronaldo is.
    Frankie was not a kid (he was 14 iirc) as is given away by his pronounced Italian accent. Look, I am not tipping Ronaldo. I doubt he will be nominated but if he is, then history tells us that Reds supporters have the clout to win it for him. For me this is yet another reason to not get involved until the BBC publishes the shortlist.

ETA Wikipedia reminds us that Kiwi speedway ace Barry Briggs was twice runner up in the 1960s while riding in Britain.
  • FPT because there are betting implications.

The Sun tips Michael Gove to replace Dominic Raab as Foreign Secretary, suggesting Boris can sell it to Raab as becoming de facto Deputy PM, and making it harder for Gove to plot against him. Though the Sun also notes that Gove was previously tipped to replace Priti Patel as Home Secretary.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15994444/michael-gove-tipped-for-job-swap-with-dominic-raab/
    edited August 2021

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Frankie was not a kid (he was 14 iirc) as is given away by his pronounced Italian accent. Look, I am not tipping Ronaldo. I doubt he will be nominated but if he is, then history tells us that Reds supporters have the clout to win it for him. For me this is yet another reason to not get involved until the BBC publishes the shortlist.

ETA Wikipedia reminds us that Kiwi speedway ace Barry Briggs was twice runner up in the 1960s while riding in Britain.
    But horse racing is just different to football. If you’re thinking non-Brits are in with a shout, I’d suggest Rachael Blackmore is a better bet: female and winner of the Grand National.

And on Barry Briggs, I think that reflects he fact that speedway (Tai Woofinden has been unlucky not to be nominated in recent years) was massive back then and we saw kiwis as our own.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

But horse racing is just different to football. If you’re thinking non-Brits are in with a shout, I’d suggest Rachael Blackmore is a better bet: female and winner of the Grand National.

And on Barry Briggs, I think that reflects he fact that speedway (Tai Woofinden has been unlucky not to be nominated in recent years) was massive back then and we saw kiwis as our own.
    You are missing the point. I'll stop now.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ronaldo will not be nominated. I am 100% certain of that.
  • The Observer reports the Foreign Office did not read emails, including from government ministers, outlining cases for Afghan refugees.

the Observer has seen evidence that an official email address used to collate potential Afghan cases from MPs and others regularly contained 5,000 unread emails throughout the week.

In many cases, emails detailing the cases of Afghans who fear for their families’ lives appear to have been unopened for days. An email from the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, sent on Monday was still unread on Thursday. There also appeared to be unread messages from the offices of Victoria Atkins, the newly appointed minister for Afghan resettlement, the home secretary, Priti Patel, and the Tory chair of the defence select committee, Tobias Ellwood.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/28/revealed-foreign-office-ignored-pleas-help-afghans-mps-evacuation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That is not the point, which is that he is now eligible. As stated earlier, I also believe he will not be shortlisted.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That is not the point, which is that he is now eligible. As stated earlier, I also believe he will not be shortlisted.
    I really don’t think playing for a British football team makes someone eligible.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I really don’t think playing for a British football team makes someone eligible.
    I thought he was going to be playing for Manchester United?

The Observer reports the Foreign Office did not read emails, including from government ministers, outlining cases for Afghan refugees.

the Observer has seen evidence that an official email address used to collate potential Afghan cases from MPs and others regularly contained 5,000 unread emails throughout the week.

In many cases, emails detailing the cases of Afghans who fear for their families’ lives appear to have been unopened for days. An email from the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, sent on Monday was still unread on Thursday. There also appeared to be unread messages from the offices of Victoria Atkins, the newly appointed minister for Afghan resettlement, the home secretary, Priti Patel, and the Tory chair of the defence select committee, Tobias Ellwood.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/28/revealed-foreign-office-ignored-pleas-help-afghans-mps-evacuation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Looks like somebody forgot System Administrator Appreciation Day
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    ‘Boy, 12, makes £290,000 during school holidays by selling whale art online’

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/boy-12-makes-makes-290000-24853526.amp

And to think our youngest wasted his time perfecting the butterfly, back-flips and street hockey. Daddy will have to buy his own Porsche.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: surprised that Norris seems to be starting 14th rather than from the pit lane but apparently that's going to happen. (Five place grid penalty, but Bottas getting the same had promoted him to 9th).
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

FPT because there are betting implications.

The Sun tips Michael Gove to replace Dominic Raab as Foreign Secretary, suggesting Boris can sell it to Raab as becoming de facto Deputy PM, and making it harder for Gove to plot against him. Though the Sun also notes that Gove was previously tipped to replace Priti Patel as Home Secretary.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15994444/michael-gove-tipped-for-job-swap-with-dominic-raab/

Seems to be a bad fit for Gove
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    From the Telegraph, no less:

How Europe is pulling ahead of Britain in the great Covid race

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/how-europe-is-pulling-ahead-of-britain-in-the-great-covid-race/ar-AANQyMT?ocid=msedgntp

Europe joined the vaccine race late, but the pace at which jabs have been going into arms in recent months has been staggering. France is now fractionally ahead of us on single jabs, while Finland, Denmark, Ireland, Spain and Portugal now all have a significantly greater proportion of their citizens fully vaccinated.

Europe has also been quicker to start vaccinating its teenagers. In France, Spain and Italy, more than half of those aged 12 to 18 are already vaccinated, for example.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

Being Deputy PM (and nothing else) was the kiss of death for Nick Clegg (remember him?)

And it's a fine bright morning in N Essex and the thermometer has just crawled above 10 C.
    F1: pre-race ramble:
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2021/08/belgium-pre-race-2021.html

Weather forecast is light rain, arguably the most unhelpful of forecasts as it can vary from having no impact to a lot. Backed under 16.5 classified finishers at evens.
  • IanB2 said:

Because of Gove's aversion to flying? At least he might show up for work occasionally during times of international crisis.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    The 60% figure was chosen by the government precisely because there is zero chance of it ever being met. In fact not only is No back ahead in most polls, Yes are not above 50% in any poll since the 2021 Holyrood election, let alone 60%.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence

So the UK government can and will refuse an indyref2 and as union matters are reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998 there is nothing the SNP can do about it. Even a wildcat referendum would have no bearing on the union as Westminster could ignore the result as Madrid did with the Catalan wildcat referendum.

Hence too Sturgeon and the Greens have said they do not want an indyref2 now but within 5 years, which the polling suggests a narrow plurality of Scots favour. Ideally Sturgeon has put the end of 2023 as the time, which conveniently would be past the likely next UK general election date of Spring or Autumn 2023. That is because if Starmer becomes UK PM Sturgeon knows he would be more willing to grant an indyref2 than Boris without a 60% threshold, especially if reliant on SNP confidence and supply.

So forget about indyref2 before the next UK general election and expect more Nationalist hardliners to move from SNP to Alba in frustration in the meantime

IanB2 said:

Because of Gove's aversion to flying? At least he might show up for work occasionally during times of international crisis.
    Because of mankind’s aversion to Gove.

Is that really the face, voice and defective personality England wants to represent it in the world stage? Really? I think you guys ought to desist with the self-flagellation for a while.
    Oh, I see PB’s tank commander has shown up. I’ll leave you guys to it.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    edited August 2021

Being Deputy PM (and nothing else) was the kiss of death for Nick Clegg (remember him?)

And it's a fine bright morning in N Essex and the thermometer has just crawled above 10 C.
    ..but he was a Lib Dem...Willie Whitelaw was Dep PM for 9 yrs? And he wasnt trouble by it nor sacked.

Everyone needs a Willie...
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

Yes, in NI the Secretary of State must call a border poll if it seems likely that most voting would vote to leave the UK there.

For example if Nationalist parties won more votes and seats than Unionist parties at Stormont or if polling showed a consistent majority in favour of a united Ireland.

There is no such provision for Scotland however, so even if the SNP and Greens won every Holyrood seat and Yes was on 100%, the UK government at Westminster could still in theory refuse an indyref2. However Jack set the 60% Yes figure in polls as if almost 2/3 of Scots want independence it would be practically difficult for Westminster to deny an indyref2
    'Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has said he sees three alternatives for his future: prison, death or victory in next year's presidential election.

The right-wing populist leader is trailing left-wing former President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva in the polls.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-58372754

..but he was a Lib Dem...Willie Whitelaw was Dep PM for 9 yrs? And he wasnt trouble by it nor sacked.

Note what you post, but isn't that the point. Everyone knew that the PM and her Deputy had heart to heart political chats frequently and, IIRC, that Whitelaw, by then had no further political ambitions. DPM or not Clegg was still, as a Lib Dem, a potential rival to Cameron.
    Being DPM for Raab would mean he was moved away from the centre of politics.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451

tlg86 said:

Hmm, if Ronaldo is a runner, how about brave Sir Boris? Not only for his muscly physique, but he has another year of success at his unique pentathlon, bullshitting, shagging, sponging, owning the libs and socking it to the elite. He also has an even bigger army of voters and the campaigning record.

(Well it makes as much sense as Ronaldo).
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, in NI the Secretary of State must call a border poll if it seems likely that most voting would vote to leave the UK there.

For example if Nationalist parties won more votes and seats than Unionist parties at Stormont or if polling showed a consistent majority in favour of a united Ireland.

There is no such provision for Scotland however, so even if the SNP and Greens won every Holyrood seat and Yes was on 100%, the UK government at Westminster could still in theory refuse an indyref2. However Jack set the 60% Yes figure in polls as if almost 2/3 of Scots want independence it would be practically difficult for Westminster to deny an indyref2
    Even if it was more often than 'once in a generation'? You're softening your position. Do I sense a change in policy coming?

Anyway, shouldn't you be off to Church?
  • IanB2 said:

Is that really the face, voice and defective personality England wants to represent it in the world stage? Really? I think you guys ought to desist with the self-flagellation for a while.
    You do know there is a reason Michael Gove has a Scottish accent?
  • HYUFD said:

The 60% figure was chosen by the government precisely because there is zero chance of it ever being met. In fact not only is No back ahead in most polls, Yes are not above 50% in any poll since the 2021 Holyrood election, let alone 60%.

So the UK government can and will refuse an indyref2 and as union matters are reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998 there is nothing the SNP can do about it. Even a wildcat referendum would have no bearing on the union as Westminster could ignore the result as Madrid did with the Catalan wildcat referendum.

Hence too Sturgeon and the Greens have said they do not want an indyref2 now but within 5 years, which the polling suggests a narrow plurality of Scots favour. Ideally Sturgeon has put the end of 2023 as the time, which conveniently would be past the likely next UK general election date of Spring or Autumn 2023. That is because if Starmer becomes UK PM Sturgeon knows he would be more willing to grant an indyref2 than Boris without a 60% threshold, especially if reliant on SNP confidence and supply.

So forget about indyref2 before the next UK general election and expect more Nationalist hardliners to move from SNP to Alba in frustration in the meantime

Isn't it 60 per cent in favour of a referendum, not 60 per cent in favour of independence? David Cameron was in favour of a referendum on leaving the European Union.
    edited August 2021

tlg86 said:

Hmm, if Ronaldo is a runner, how about brave Sir Boris? Not only for his muscly physique, but he has another year of success at his unique pentathlon, bullshitting, shagging, sponging, owning the libs and socking it to the elite. He also has an even bigger army of voters and the campaigning record.

When Ronaldo wins SPotY in 2022... :wink:

Actually in 2022 it will be Harry Kane after lifting the World Cup. It's coming home...

tlg86 said:

Actually in 2022 it will be Harry Kane after lifting the World Cup. It's coming home...
    If they use the traditional dates for Spoty 2022 it will be World Cup qf-sf time. Perhaps they will move it to the week between Xmas and New Year.

Note what you post, but isn't that the point. Everyone knew that the PM and her Deputy had heart to heart political chats frequently and, IIRC, that Whitelaw, by then had no further political ambitions. DPM or not Clegg was still, as a Lib Dem, a potential rival to Cameron.
    Being DPM for Raab would mean he was moved away from the centre of politics.
    Is there not a good chance that Raab "might not quite understand" this?
  • tlg86 said:

If they use the traditional dates for Spoty 2022 it will be World Cup qf-sf time. Perhaps they will move it to the week between Xmas and New Year.
    Ah good. That means England will still be in it. :smiley:
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Anyone who gets to a third country and qualifies for the resettlement scheme for former British staff will be offered a free flight to the UK. But the neighbouring countries of Pakistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are reluctant to provide free passage.

“The Foreign Office failed to roll the pitch with these countries for months,” a minister said. “The PM wanted third countries involved and Raab did nothing. Boris is exasperated that the Foreign Office has not done what he told them. They also took their people out and that cost us several days. I suspect we could have taken out 800 to 1,000 more people if they had not done that.”

Last night a senior official in the Pakistani government said Raab had shown no interest in talking to them, claiming that he did not make a single phone call to the Afghan or Pakistani foreign ministers in the six months before the crisis. “He just didn’t care,” the official said. “He thought Afghanistan was yesterday’s war and the government was totally focused on Brexit.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/afghanistan-blame-game-erupts-as-british-soldiers-fly-home-6b0c2x9tx

HYUFD said:

Isn't it 60 per cent in favour of a referendum, not 60 per cent in favour of independence? David Cameron was in favour of a referendum on leaving the European Union.
    I think for a major constitutional change, the threshold should be 60% per cent sustained AND the government being in favour of said change. (For independence, that is the Scottish govt).

Cameron and the governing party MPs wanting a referendum but the status quo was a big part of the problem as it meant we did not plan properly and were very divided.

Obviously coming from Gove and Bozo it is another case of cake-ism, having made so much of 52-48, now demanding 60-40, but I think they are right this time.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

HYUFD said:

Yep - the UK govt position is 60% consistently in favour of referendum. The SNP position reportedly was 60% consistently in favour of independence. So its more than just "one poll over 60%"....
  • HYUFD said:

'Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has said he sees three alternatives for his future: prison, death or victory in next year's presidential election.

The right-wing populist leader is trailing left-wing former President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva in the polls.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-58372754

The arrest bit covers the bit where he loses the election and refuses to leave office.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

Last year I spoke to someone on this.

The answer is no.

What the Secretary of State would consider a trigger point for an Irish unity referendum is if the nationalists/republicans win a majority of seats/votes at Stormont or Westminster.

Or if in the census there were more Catholics than Protestants.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Guess which scientists?

Freshers’ week parties could cause huge jump in Covid cases, scientists warn

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/aug/28/freshers-week-parties-could-cause-huge-jump-in-covid-cases-scientists-warn

Two actually, the first of whom is Professor Susan Michie....
    edited August 2021

tlg86 said:

The answer is no.

What the Secretary of State would consider a trigger point for an Irish unity referendum is if the nationalists/republicans win a majority of seats/votes at Stormont or Westminster.

Is the government not aware that religion is only approximately aligned with a desire for Dublin rule? Oh hold on, a recent Secretary of State for Northern Ireland did not even know that nationalists and unionists vote differently.
    edited August 2021

Guess which scientists?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/aug/28/freshers-week-parties-could-cause-huge-jump-in-covid-cases-scientists-warn

Well it is fairly obvious that a very contagious disease "could" spike after freshers week with lots of social mixing and alcohol? Not sure the credentials or past of a scientist need to be questioned to agree with that statement.

Of course, what we do about, if anything, is a different and more complicated question.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    On topic: if the SNP keep winning elections in Scotland (and it is quite possible that they will continue to do so for many decades) then should there be an endless conveyor belt of independence referendums as a result? And, if not, is the UK Parliament meant to swing to the other extreme and never permit another one again, or ought it to use some other evidence to assess public opinion and to judge whether or not it's the right time for a rematch - which, after all, if essentially what legislation demands of the Northern Ireland Secretary in respect of a border poll?

Elsewhere, NZ is still struggling with Delta. The good news is that they may have caught the outbreak in time to stamp it out in most of the country; the bad news is that Auckland might yet go the way of Sydney - the consequences of that likely being continuous hard lockdown into 2022, whilst they sort out their hopeless vaccination drive. Grim.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/29/new-zealand-covid-update-83-new-cases-with-all-but-one-in-auckland

tlg86 said:

The answer is no.

Whoa, so protestants and non-Christians aren't allowed to support a united Ireland?
  • tlg86 said:

The answer is no.

Is the government not aware that religion is only approximately aligned with a desire for Dublin rule? Oh hold on, a recent Secretary of State for Northern Ireland did not even know that nationalists and unionists voted differently.
    It would be a rough approximation.

Remember the UK government won’t act arbitrarily. They will discuss it with the guarantors of the GFA, the US and the EU.

There’s also the awkward discussion to be had about if the ROI would/could take NI back.

No point holding an Irish unity referendum if Dublin says no ta.
  • Good morning

The last 10 days have been a traumatic period for so many, not least our soldiers who are reportedly, in some cases, experiencing PTSD and I know the serious nature of this as my eldest son has been suffering for some years and at 55 is unlikely to work again

I hope they all receive the mental health care they deserve, and as the last aircraft lands back in the UK with our soldiers I for one just have a huge feeling of relief they are home and that we must never again involve ourselves in foreign wars

The political fallout is hard to judge but if labour cannot regain a poll lead now, when will they

• tlg86 said:

The answer is no.

Whoa, so protestants and non-Christians aren't allowed to support a united Ireland?
    No. It is the roughest of approximations.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    IanB2 said:

From the Telegraph, no less:

How Europe is pulling ahead of Britain in the great Covid race

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/how-europe-is-pulling-ahead-of-britain-in-the-great-covid-race/ar-AANQyMT?ocid=msedgntp

Europe joined the vaccine race late, but the pace at which jabs have been going into arms in recent months has been staggering. France is now fractionally ahead of us on single jabs, while Finland, Denmark, Ireland, Spain and Portugal now all have a significantly greater proportion of their citizens fully vaccinated.

Europe has also been quicker to start vaccinating its teenagers. In France, Spain and Italy, more than half of those aged 12 to 18 are already vaccinated, for example.

First link from Comical Dave to the Telegraph for some time coming Real Soon Now.

Guess which scientists?

About (tomorrow) to meet with Grandson Two before he goes off to Uni for the first time in mid Sept.
    Grandparental advice.... avoid Freshers Week parties..... I don't think so. Need to give advice that's likely to be accepted.
    Guardian had a useful one yesterday; never buy a book that you can borrow from the library!
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673

tlg86 said:

Looking it up it says:
    1. The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.

2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

3. The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1 earlier than seven years after the holding of a previous poll under this Schedule.

https://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/today/good_friday/full_text.html
    So it doesn't specifically mention opinion polls, I suppose he could look at the Betfair odds...

just weaselly bollox from a lickspittle colonial popinjay.
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

I think for a major constitutional change, the threshold should be 60% per cent sustained AND the government being in favour of said change. (For independence, that is the Scottish govt).

Cameron and the governing party MPs wanting a referendum but the status quo was a big part of the problem as it meant we did not plan properly and were very divided.

Obviously coming from Gove and Bozo it is another case of cake-ism, having made so much of 52-48, now demanding 60-40, but I think they are right this time.
    Yet you are perfectly happy for these arses to wreck the country with a minority of the vote, on your bike.

IanB2 said:

That arse does not have a Scottish accent.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

Guess which scientists?

It’s the same scientists over and over again.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

IanB2 said:

If they watch some old episodes of the A-Team they'll get a few ideas of how to get him to where he needs to be.
    Can’t Westminster just pass an act for Scottish Independence now? Devolution doesn’t work, federalism probably won’t work, going beck to the status quo ante 1998 is politically unacceptable which leaves dissolving the Union the only logical next step. It’s a damaging Union for all parties.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Scott_xP said:

Anyone who gets to a third country and qualifies for the resettlement scheme for former British staff will be offered a free flight to the UK. But the neighbouring countries of Pakistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are reluctant to provide free passage.

“The Foreign Office failed to roll the pitch with these countries for months,” a minister said. “The PM wanted third countries involved and Raab did nothing. Boris is exasperated that the Foreign Office has not done what he told them. They also took their people out and that cost us several days. I suspect we could have taken out 800 to 1,000 more people if they had not done that.”

Last night a senior official in the Pakistani government said Raab had shown no interest in talking to them, claiming that he did not make a single phone call to the Afghan or Pakistani foreign ministers in the six months before the crisis. “He just didn’t care,” the official said. “He thought Afghanistan was yesterday’s war and the government was totally focused on Brexit.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/afghanistan-blame-game-erupts-as-british-soldiers-fly-home-6b0c2x9tx

Totally focused on Brexit? That's rather strange considering that we keep being told it is done...

HYUFD said:

70% want a referendum on the future of NI it seems.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1431862793360351236?s=19
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Totally focused on Brexit? That's rather strange considering that we keep being told it is done...
    It will be the corner stone of the next election campaign.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,702

Good morning

The last 10 days have been a traumatic period for so many, not least our soldiers who are reportedly, in some cases, experiencing PTSD and I know the serious nature of this as my eldest son has been suffering for some years and at 55 is unlikely to work again

I hope they all receive the mental health care they deserve, and as the last aircraft lands back in the UK with our soldiers I for one just have a huge feeling of relief they are home and that we must never again involve ourselves in foreign wars

The political fallout is hard to judge but if labour cannot regain a poll lead now, when will they

When Pens’ pets get put to sleep
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
  • Guess which scientists?

About (tomorrow) to meet with Grandson Two before he goes off to Uni for the first time in mid Sept.
    Grandparental advice.... avoid Freshers Week parties..... I don't think so. Need to give advice that's likely to be accepted.
    Guardian had a useful one yesterday; never buy a book that you can borrow from the library!
    My granddaughter is double vaccinated so at least she has a degree of protection when she starts in 2 weeks at Leeds
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    DougSeal said:

Can’t Westminster just pass an act for Scottish Independence now? Devolution doesn’t work, federalism probably won’t work, going beck to the status quo ante 1998 is politically unacceptable which leaves dissolving the Union the only logical next step. It’s a damaging Union for all parties.

Federalism might well work.
    Mr. Stoke, possibly. I have no faith the politicians won't bugger it up by trying to slice England into pieces, though.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

70% want a referendum on the future of NI it seems.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1431862793360351236?s=19
    I read that piece. To paraphrase Saint Augustine, the predominant attitude would appear to be "give us a vote - but not yet."
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The face does though
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Foxy said:

:)

The Daily Mail also want to know why we can't be in the single market...

https://twitter.com/danielboffey/status/1431873086736019458

Guess which scientists?

My granddaughter is double vaccinated so at least she has a degree of protection when she starts in 2 weeks at Leeds
    Grandson is, too. Started the process as soon as he could.

Take it you haven't advised your granddaughter to stay away from parties?
    Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

more bollox and wikipedia bollox at that, I repeat that arse does not have a Scottish accent. No stranger would ever know he was from Scotland unless he had it stamped on his forehead
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The face does though
    they are interchangeable

DougSeal said:

LOL
    Mr. G, would've thought a nationalist would be pro-federalism as it's a step further from the status quo towards separation.
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The face does though
    they are interchangeable
    I defer to your expertise in the uses of arses and faces.

Mr. G, would've thought a nationalist would be pro-federalism as it's a step further from the status quo towards separation.

MD it would be same as devolution , we would be bullied by the big boy next door just as we are now. We need to decide our own affairs , England should not be deciding what we can and cannot do.
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

more bollox and wikipedia bollox at that, I repeat that arse does not have a Scottish accent. No stranger would ever know he was from Scotland unless he had it stamped on his forehead
    I’m a stranger to Scotland and I find his Scottish accents soft but unmistakable. Common to many who have been in England for a while, a bit like my wife sounds American to all non Americans but her compatriots are starting to find her somewhat mid Atlantic
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The face does though
    they are interchangeable
    Time for specsavers I think if you are unable to see the resemblance I am afraid.
  • Morning all. I'm a long-standing federalist and campaigned in may for the LibDems - a federalist party. I am not a natural supporter of independence. I am though a natural supporter of democracy - you get what you vote for.

In May Scotland voted on a record turnout and elected a record number of MSPs on an explicit platform for a 2nd referendum. Whatever Alister Jack thinks (or worse his frit keyboard warrior fool from Essicks) is irrelevant - Scotland has spoken.

The Tories have a track record of abolishing democratic institutions that disagree with them. Thatcher with her huge majority hated that London voted Labour so abolished it. Johnson with his large majority hates that Scotland doesn't love him how he doesn't love them so ignores them. His SofS says the election in May doesn't count, 55% of elected MSPs for a referendum isn't enough now it needs to be 60%

There is a basic warning to heed. People dislike being told that they voted wrong. Every time a court overturns an election result the following by-election delivers a thumping majority to replace the overturned wafer thin one. Brexit was seen as "rejected" by various parties hence the thumping Tory majority.

You can ignore the will of the people for only so long. Even I as a new Scot am now tempted to roll the dice as and when a vote eventually happens - we can't trust Westminster. "Why would you think that and leap off into the dark" ask various posters who said we can't trust Brussels and voted for said leap into the dark 5 years ago. What goes around comes around.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,128

Good morning

Quite so re PTSD and the medical support for the services.
    edited August 2021

DougSeal said:

Probably not, and it is unlikely to be tried either. Everyone can appreciate that the devolution settlement is a mess that wholly satisfies almost no-one, but the overriding aim of the pro-Union parties at Westminster is (from their point of view) to avoid making a bad situation even worse.

The problem with federalism is that you either create an English Parliament - in which case, there's a tremendous risk of an actual ENP emerging and finishing Britain off from the centre - or you try to cut England up into (mostly artificial) regions, which then means that Westminster has a dozen or more constantly aggrieved devolved First Ministers to deal with instead of just three.

From the point of view of the Unionists, the least worst option is to leave things more-or-less as they are, and to try to make it too scary for voters in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to leave - primarily by throwing vast amounts of money at them, and therefore inviting them to contemplate how they would cope without it.
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The face does though
    they are interchangeable
    Time for specsavers I think if you are unable to see the resemblance I am afraid.
    A revealing comment if there ever was one
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DougSeal said:

Guess which scientists?

It seems highly probable they are right about this, mind. What's the epidemiological difference between a freshers week party, and Boardmasters?
    Mr. G, it'd shift more powers towards Scotland and make it easier to say "look, we're pretty much governing ourselves already, so why not do it properly?".

Mr. Pigeon, don't forget aggravated voters.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Good morning

I was inclined to cut Farthing (but not his backers) a lot of slack over possible PTSD. Less so after that transcript.
  • Guess which scientists?

Did you explain the library is where non-drinkers go in order to download books off the web?

That if he does not understand something, he should ask his tutor, his mates, or watch a couple of video lectures from other universities?

We can assume he already knows how to revise with spaced repetition and active recall.

OK got one. At the start of every module, he should check how it will be examined – essays, MCQs, lab notebooks, thesis, whatever.

Always take some dirty washing home to mum so she feels appreciated, even if she pretends not to.

Don't fall behind. Don't join so many clubs there is no time left for study, but on the other hand, always say yes to new experiences.

And enjoy it. These should be the happiest days of his life.

Good morning

If the forces aren't going to engage in foreign wars, what are they for?

PTSD in veterans is quite an issue, but mental health services will always be crap. It always has been the cinderella of health care, and always will be.
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

I’m a stranger to Scotland and I find his Scottish accents soft but unmistakable. Common to many who have been in England for a while, a bit like my wife sounds American to all non Americans but her compatriots are starting to find her somewhat mid Atlantic
    I see Scottish accents are up their with your other expertise on Scottish matters.

Mr. G, it'd shift more powers towards Scotland and make it easier to say "look, we're pretty much governing ourselves already, so why not do it properly?".

Mr. Pigeon, don't forget aggravated voters.

Westminster will not give up any powers , they keep them reserved to themselves. Will never happen.
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Good morning

I was inclined to cut Farthing (but not his backers) a lot of slack over possible PTSD. Less so after that transcript.
    He sounds like a real smug arsehole.
    IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

Guess which scientists?

It seems highly probable they are right about this, mind. What's the epidemiological difference between a freshers week party, and Boardmasters?
    None of the freshers week events I went to were quite as big as Boardmasters IIRC. In any event, cases in England as a whole are falling even after Boardmasters.
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The face does though
    they are interchangeable
    Time to leave , I have better things to do than have you dribbling over every post.
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Good morning

Aggressive outbursts are part of PTSD, and I wouldn't expect squaddies and bootnecks with PTSD to be cuddly.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    How is using the criteria of opinion polls any different from the triggers required for a Ireland border poll?
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The face does though
    they are interchangeable
    Time to leave , I have better things to do than have you dribbling over every post.
    Before you go, can you “unlike” the post of mine you liked earlier? It’s a bit embarrassing. Ta.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

I shared a taxi with Antony Flew In 1963. No true Scotsman he.

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

I see Scottish accents are up their with your other expertise on Scottish matters.
    I know sod all about Scotland and have never claimed otherwise. I do know a bit about accents though.
This discussion has been closed.