Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Good news for Gavin Williamson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2021 in General
Good news for Gavin Williamson – politicalbetting.com

Do you think the Government's handling of this year’s A-Level grades has been…Better than last year's – 30%Worse than last year's – 12%No different – 25%https://t.co/jPS16bDwVT pic.twitter.com/OhqnDURHa8

Read the full story here

Comments

• Primus inter pares.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Remarkably small party and Brexit splits generally, really.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    This is a very interesting piece of polling. Last summer really was a shit show, but the fact that only 30% are saying better than last year shows how that ordinary people generally have quite a short memory when it comes to these things.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    OT, suggestions that Sicily may have reached a record-breaking 48.8 C (120F) today.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

This is a very interesting piece of polling. Last summer really was a shit show, but the fact that only 30% are saying better than last year shows how that ordinary people generally have quite a short memory when it comes to these things.

I reckon it might be a case of well my kid/family member has got all As then it has been handled brilliantly.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    People with a load of A's and A-stars need to turn out brilliant when in the world. Not a chance with the current grading.
  • For everyone who thought driverless Uber is impossible . . . presenting RC-UBER: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMR1V1dE8/
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    There seems to be ton of speculation about Williamson, but I read earlier today that Johnson has put back the reshuffle to the end of year.

Which these days is an eon in political time.

tlg86 said:

I reckon it might be a case of well my kid/family member has got all As then it has been handled brilliantly.
    You've kept quiet about that non A grade TSE!?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    IanB2 said:

OT, suggestions that Sicily may have reached a record-breaking 48.8 C (120F) today.

Disturbing. I am starting to wonder when the southern Med will actually become too hot to inhabit. Anything over 40C is far too hot. 48.8C is insane. Dangerously hot. Actively lethal
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021

There seems to be ton of speculation about Williamson, but I read earlier today that Johnson has put back the reshuffle to the end of year.

Which these days is an eon in political time.

He has been putting that reshuffle off for over a year already....he will be witnessing the birth of his 27th kid before he actually goes through with it.
    Looks like IanB was right. Indeed he underplayed it

🚨🚨 | BREAKING: Sicily has recorded a temperature of 48.8C, the highest ever temperature recorded in Europe

Via @Independent
    edited August 2021
    I am shocked that the public, after their little genius got As all round, have a positive view of the exam results.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    IanB2 said:

Err, did they leave the thermometer out in the sun? I’ve only seen 42°C today, and I’m in Dubai in August!
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Disturbing. I am starting to wonder when the southern Med will actually become too hot to inhabit. Anything over 40C is far too hot. 48.8C is insane. Dangerously hot. Actively lethal
    I think 45c is the survivable threshold (and unable to cool down). I'm toast at 35c. I've always thought very highly of posters in Northern climes..) Especially those with spare rooms.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728
    Which is better, slow slicing or being boiled alive?

The truth is, both were grossly mishandled but this year was far worse because it was entirely foreseeable and no contingency plans were put in place to deal with it. Indeed, no plans were finalised until two months before they were put into operation. That is a statement of fact, not really conducive therefore to opinion polling.

But equally, there is no point in firing Gavin Williamson and keeping Nick Gibb. Or indeed, the entire DfE.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

40 is not unusual in Naples during the summer months. And coupled with the humidity it is too much for me. But 48 sounds ghastly.
  • Omnium said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

I think 45c is the survivable threshold (and unable to cool down). I'm toast at 35c. I've always thought very highly of posters in Northern climes..) Especially those with spare rooms.
    The two places I experienced a heat like that was at Alice Springs (Aus) and Capernaum on the Sea of Galileo ( Israel) and it was unbearable
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Err, did they leave the thermometer out in the sun? I’ve only seen 42°C today, and I’m in Dubai in August!
    There’s actually a forecast of 50C in Sicily in the next few days. The highest temps ever recorded on earth are around 56-58C

Is it me, or has there been a cascade of weird weather events, these last weeks and months, which have changed the global conversation?

Canada hitting near-50C was another psychological inflection point - just a couple of weeks back

Suddenly it feels like it is happening - and accelerating
    edited August 2021
    You can see why Home Secretary's can get very shouty with their staff and have low opinions of lawyers...after this mornings story of the boat driver not being a people smuggler case.

BBC News - UK deportation flight to Jamaica leaves with dozens reprieved
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58177487
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

There’s actually a forecast of 50C in Sicily in the next few days. The highest temps ever recorded on earth are around 56-58C

Is it me, or has there been a cascade of weird weather events, these last weeks and months, which have changed the global conversation?

Canada hitting near-50C was another psychological inflection point - just a couple of weeks back

No, Noddy, it's not just you!

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Keir Starmer has a good chance at being PM of a minority Government, higher than most think

Yes but only with the support of Scottish and Welsh MPs, England alone will almost certainly have a Tory majority again next time
    Does that mean it doesn't count?
    That is the obvious inference.

FUDHY has moved from “SNP don’t count” to “Scots don’t count”. That’s a big leap for a Unionist. But there’s the rub, he’s not really a Unionist, he’s an English Nationalist.

His latest line of attack is that a Starmer win in the UK is insufficient. Unless Starmer wins in England, his mandate will not be respected.
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

40 is not unusual in Naples during the summer months. And coupled with the humidity it is too much for me. But 48 sounds ghastly.
    I’ve experienced the high 40s - once in Upper Egypt and once in Darfur, Ethiopia. It really is ghastly. It *feels* dangerous and your whole body is saying Get me the fuck out of here

Worse, in Ethiopia, there was no air con or indeed much shelter. The heat was reflected back off the lava-strewn desert. And some people LIVE there. In mud huts. Indescribable

We arrived at dusk and left at dawn. Those poor people that could not leave….
  • I am shocked that the public, after their little genius got As all round, have a positive view of the exam results.

Actually my granddaughter achieved excellent results but it was expected as she was the best student in her school last year

However, I have concerns at the obvious grade inflation, but also that this cohort may find they are forever known as the covid students and may experience some employer resistance in the future ( I hope not)
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    FPT:

Parmesan successfully ordered.

A block. That one grates for oneself.

Meanwhile the neighbours' cat is asleep in our kitchen.
  • Definitely time to say that, thankfully, the fears about the timing of step four were unfounded.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1425473677047500801?s=19

The likes of Prof Peston of course will never say such a thing.

I am shocked that the public, after their little genius got As all round, have a positive view of the exam results.

Actually my granddaughter achieved excellent results but it was expected as she was the best student in her school last year

However, I have concerns at the obvious grade inflation, but also that this cohort may find they are forever known as the covid students and may experience some employer resistance in the future ( I hope not)
    My advice to those going to university is, do not drop out and, ideally, work hard to get the best result possible.
  • Omnium said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

The two places I experienced a heat like that was at Alice Springs (Aus) and Capernaum on the Sea of Galileo ( Israel) and it was unbearable
    Galilee
    edited August 2021

With so many people getting degrees, A-levels are really just the process by which you get a uni place. What is then important is you do well at that and this is what future employers will be more concerned about.
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.
    So, if one were, say - just to pluck a random example - looking for a nice sunny place to retire in the next 5-10 years, where does one go?

Greece was always at the top of my list. Or southern Portugal. Or Australia. Now?!
  • I am shocked that the public, after their little genius got As all round, have a positive view of the exam results.

With so many people getting degrees, A-levels are really just the process by which you get a uni place. What is then important is you do well at that and this is what future employers will be more concerned about.
    Fair comment
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.
    So, if one were, say - just to pluck a random example - looking for a nice sunny place to retire in the next 5-10 years, where does one go?

Greece was always at the top of my list. Or southern Portugal. Or Australia. Now?!
    Why chase the sun? If I as to retire, I might choose the east coast of Scotland. A beautiful area, few midges, and less rain that the west coast. And great people as well.

I have had a successful career and no one has EVER asked me what degree I got. Indeed I’m not sure anyone ever asked me whether I even HAD a degree

if you can knap a decent butt plug, you’re good to go
    Scottish judge permits legal case over Trump’s golf course spending
    Campaigners granted leave to challenge government’s decision not to seek ‘McMafia order’ into unexplained wealth

Known as “McMafia orders”, they give Scottish prosecutors and courts the legal power to investigate how people, such as senior figures in organised crime, came by the money used to buy homes, cars, yachts and other assets.

The court’s decision is the latest blow for Trump and his family, who are under numerous investigations by prosecutors in the US over the former president’s tax affairs and finances.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/11/scottish-judge-permits-legal-case-over-trumps-golf-course-spending
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,554

Except for those who would have expected that it a normal year.
    Takes the shine off for them.
  • Definitely time to say that, thankfully, the fears about the timing of step four were unfounded.

Nor iSage who seem to have gone very quiet since their 100,000 prediction was not anywhere near reached
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited August 2021

FPT:

Recommend cheap Supersoaker.

Available for £3 from poundshops. Range about 12m.

Cats are capable of rapid sideways movement, but remember the location of concentrated rainstorms.

May not be necessary if you have fewer than 6 neighbouring cats.
    In Turkey, they ?used to? rank pupils in their equivalent to A-levels from 1 to (x), where (x) is the number of pupils.

Why not do that? The lower the number, the better you did against the cohort in your year.

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Keir Starmer has a good chance at being PM of a minority Government, higher than most think

Yes but only with the support of Scottish and Welsh MPs, England alone will almost certainly have a Tory majority again next time

FUDHY has moved from “SNP don’t count” to “Scots don’t count”. That’s a big leap for a Unionist. But there’s the rub, he’s not really a Unionist, he’s an English Nationalist.

His latest line of attack is that a Starmer win in the UK is insufficient. Unless Starmer wins in England, his mandate will not be respected.
    You don’t think the Starmer llama drama will help ?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2021
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, they did. It is an non-aspirated gauge in full sun.
    https://www.facebook.com/sias.regione.sicilia.it/photos/pcb.4206530166068161/4206528819401629

The official site at the airport was "only" 40C.

Definitely no record, so ignore.
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

I don't have a clue. I was in fact entirely fishing for a reply. Sorry.
  • Omnium said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Galilee
    Galileo figaro magnifico
    Sicily 48.8 Celsius.

Provisionally the highest ever recorded temperature in Europe.

Here we go…

Nor iSage who seem to have gone very quiet since their 100,000 prediction was not anywhere near reached
    Sajid Javid is a part of iSage?

UK Covid cases may soar to 100,000 a day, Sajid Javid warns.

https://www.ft.com/content/08577e07-faeb-4cd2-96ed-567151b539f6
    Nigelb said:

Except for those who would have expected that it a normal year.
    Takes the shine off for them.
    Yeah, the question isn’t “do you think the government made the right decision on A Levels?” As I said, it shows how stories that seem important at the time, generally aren’t.
    ydoethur said:

The truth is, both were grossly mishandled but this year was far worse because it was entirely foreseeable and no contingency plans were put in place to deal with it. Indeed, no plans were finalised until two months before they were put into operation. That is a statement of fact, not really conducive therefore to opinion polling.

But equally, there is no point in firing Gavin Williamson and keeping Nick Gibb. Or indeed, the entire DfE.

Gibb is the DFE equivalent of the cockroach which survives even a nuclear war.
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

I have had a successful career and no one has EVER asked me what degree I got. Indeed I’m not sure anyone ever asked me whether I even HAD a degree

Well for most, in the way A-level sort for uni places, degrees results sort for grad scheme places, and then again once you are on that, nobody cares what degree you got. Even if you stay in academia for a masters, PhD etc, again it all soon becomes irreverent, its what you did most recently that matters.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    ydoethur said:

Last years was badly mishandled in real time and in public as everyone's results were upgraded.

This year it's been completely mishandled ( because there was time to create a viable plan) but because the results were presented without issues it doesn't look as bad.

The biggest issue is what do you do in the future now GCSE and A levels have been destroyed
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited August 2021

Definitely time to say that, thankfully, the fears about the timing of step four were unfounded.

Well they were all wrong thankfully

And didn't Starmer repeat it as well
  • Omnium said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Galilee
    Galileo figaro magnifico
    Autocorrect caught me out
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

Sicily 48.8 Celsius.

Provisionally the highest ever recorded temperature in Europe.

Here we go…

See above. Not today. More likely to go in Spain in a day or two.

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

Why chase the sun? If I as to retire, I might choose the east coast of Scotland. A beautiful area, few midges, and less rain that the west coast. And great people as well.
    Far too cold and dark for me, as it stands. And even if it warms up, it will still be infernally dark in the winter

I can barely tolerate southern England, and that is much warmer and brighter than Perth

What I seek is the Med climate as it was about 20 years ago, in, say, Provence. Long warm dry sunny summers, but also definite seasons. A short cold winter, early spring, colourful autumn

What will provide that in ten years time?

Well they were all wrong thankfully

And didn't Starmer repeat it as well
    No that was 100k cases of the Johnson variant....which we only have 1 case of.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,151
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

Far too cold and dark for me, as it stands. And even if it warms up, it will still be infernally dark in the winter

I can barely tolerate southern England, and that is much warmer and brighter than Perth

What I seek is the Med climate as it was about 20 years ago, in, say, Provence. Long warm dry sunny summers, but also definite seasons. A short cold winter, early spring, colourful autumn

Cornwall? :smiley:
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

Denmark.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

You're living in the past. Darkness is just a sign you need to be playing computer games.

In fact, for many people, any amount of light or darkness is a sign you need to be playing computer games...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Definitely time to say that, thankfully, the fears about the timing of step four were unfounded.

That's what you get for listening to bloody experts!
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

The Empty Quarter regularly gets to 50 C, but then it is called the Empty Quarter ...

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

Leon was actually born in Teignmouth. He is more gently Devon cream tea than rock-hard Cornish tin miner ... ;)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050

FPT:

Gets some herbs from the garden and you have the makings of Gatto Al Parmegiano.

I would go for a Bardolino to match.
  • RobD said:

He's a former Deutsche Bank employee, nuff said.
  • RobD said:

Well SPI-M modellers certainly shouldn't be getting any A*s....
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Is this true about Williamson on the radio claiming to have forgotten what his own a level results were? Even for him it seems almost unbelievable.
  • Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

https://www.facebook.com/sias.regione.sicilia.it/photos/pcb.4206530166068161/4206528819401629

BBC site forecasting 29 degrees AT NIGHT in Messina tonight...
    edited August 2021

Omnium said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Galilee
    Highest temperature I have ever experience was 47c, in the Dead Sea.

Which was perfectly OK when I was swimming in it but truly horrible once I had even a pair of shorts and a thin shirt on again.

Strangely, that felt even hotter than walking down from Masada after the cable car broke. And three of our party got heat exhaustion doing that.
    edited August 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Is this true about Williamson on the radio claiming to have forgotten what his own a level results were? Even for him it seems almost unbelievable.

Its clearly because he got really crap grades, but he could have spun it as I didn't.get the grades I would have wished but worked hard became boss of a company and now a government minister.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited August 2021
    Regarding Exam result inflation... I spoke to a mate about it earlier, and he said something that seems to show the School exam results have been dumbed down is the CFA pass rate (an exanm people in the Financial Industry take)

Apparently they still mark the old way

Looking at this it does seem like he may be right, unless I have missed something; the pass rate has gradually gone through the floor

https://www.cfainstitute.org/-/media/documents/support/programs/cfa/cfa-exam-results-since-1963.ashx
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,838

Leon said:

Well for most, in the way A-level sort for uni places, degrees results sort for grad scheme places, and then again once you are on that, nobody cares what degree you got. Even if you stay in academia for a masters, PhD etc, again it all soon becomes irreverent, its what you did most recently that matters.
    No, I still tell people about my 4 As. And they're still impressed. Especially when I explain at length about grade inflation and how hard it was back then to get 4 As.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    Foxy said:

FPT:

Gets some herbs from the garden and you have the makings of Gatto Al Parmegiano.

Does that dish include cat?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited August 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

Leon was actually born in Teignmouth. He is more gently Devon cream tea than rock-hard Cornish tin miner ... ;)
    You mean he's too pasty to be Cornish?
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Last years was badly mishandled in real time and in public as everyone's results were upgraded.

This year it's been completely mishandled ( because there was time to create a viable plan) but because the results were presented without issues it doesn't look as bad.

The biggest issue is what do you do in the future now GCSE and A levels have been destroyed
    To be honest, these reformed qualifications have been one shambles after another. I think Covid has brought forward their demise by two years but no more, as they were never going to work satisfactorily.

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

BBC site forecasting 29 degrees AT NIGHT in Messina tonight...
    That’s nothing. Rhodes has had nighttime temperatures of 32 degrees this week.

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

And yet there are multiple reports around Syracuse of temps around 40-45C. Are they all erroneous?

I can believe this one stat is an exaggeration. But it’s clear there was an extreme hot weather event
    IshmaelZ said:

The amazing part is he remembered to turn up for the exams.
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

No, I still tell people about my 4 As. And they're still impressed. Especially when I explain at length about grade inflation and how hard it was back then to get 4 As.
    I got 5 A grades at A level...

(in 2005)
    kjh said:

Foxy said:

FPT:

Does that dish include cat?
    That's the Gatto...
  • The DFE look like they have the Midas touch compared to the ECB.

Here's a stat to cheer up we England supporters.

The last time England won a Test match with neither of Stuart Broad or James Anderson in the XI was in June 2007 - six months before Broad's Test debut.

https://twitter.com/WisdenCricket/status/1425513978101321732

With Broad ruled out of the series and Anderson with an injury set to rule him out tomorrow we may end up being more f*cked than a Stepmom on Pornhub.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

Not a bad guess. Unless the Gulf Stream fails…

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

You're living in the past. Darkness is just a sign you need to be playing computer games.

In fact, for many people, any amount of light or darkness is a sign you need to be playing computer games...
    Read Simon Stålenhag’s ‘The Electric State’. Scared the shit out of me. Switch off those screens folks..
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The only people who have ever asked me are my friends kids when they are thinking about their GCSE / A-levels choices, because they know I and Mrs U then went on to spend many years in academia and sort of intrigued how that comes about.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

He did say "may" go up to 100k. Indy Sage and the rest of them were saying it *definitely would* go up over 100k with step 4. I'm still not sure what's going to happen, especially in 3 and a bit weeks when the schools open up and we have failed to vaccinate 12-17 year olds to any significant degree.

What's interesting is that the 18-24 demographic just overtook the 25-29 year olds for first dose uptake and the curve hasn't completely levelled off yet. They look to be trending towards where 30-39 year olds finished up. I think the don't get left behind advertising should be ramped up for all under 40s. Especially international travel, that could be a huge way of getting people to get vaccinated. No vaccine no flights, an advert showing a group of pretty young twenty somethings checking in at an airport, posting it all to Instagram while the loser who chose not to get the vaccine sits at home alone.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

To be honest, these reformed qualifications have been one shambles after another. I think Covid has brought forward their demise by two years but no more, as they were never going to work satisfactorily.
    This is not a subject of which I claim extensive knowledge, but one has to wonder what the point of GCSEs is in an age of compulsory full-time education to 18? Some sort of basic skills certificate (a formality for academic kids; proof of the ability to read, write, add up, and maybe handle a few other basic skills for the less bookish ones) would surely be quite sufficient for employers filling non-degree level vacancies?

Once exams are reinstituted, I assume that we'll see A-levels and the Scottish equivalents simply return to roughly the attainment levels seen pre-Covid - or is there any sign of a replacement for them on the horizon...?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,838
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

(in 2005)
    Well you can only beat what's in front of you.
    isam said:

Regarding Exam result inflation... I spoke to a mate about it earlier, and he said something that seems to show the School exam results have been dumbed down is the CFA pass rate (an exanm people in the Financial Industry take)

Looking at this it does seem like he may be right, unless I have missed something; the pass rate has gradually gone through the floor

https://www.cfainstitute.org/-/media/documents/support/programs/cfa/cfa-exam-results-since-1963.ashx

Yes, the CFA was pretty tough when I did it. Loads of otherwise smart people seemed to fail. Not sure how I got through it all, it's all a blur now.
    MaxPB said:

He did say "may" go up to 100k. Indy Sage and the rest of them were saying it *definitely would* go up over 100k with step 4. I'm still not sure what's going to happen, especially in 3 and a bit weeks when the schools open up and we have failed to vaccinate 12-17 year olds to any significant degree.

What's interesting is that the 18-24 demographic just overtook the 25-29 year olds for first dose uptake and the curve hasn't completely levelled off yet. They look to be trending towards where 30-39 year olds finished up. I think the don't get left behind advertising should be ramped up for all under 40s. Especially international travel, that could be a huge way of getting people to get vaccinated. No vaccine no flights, an advert showing a group of pretty young twenty somethings checking in at an airport, posting it all to Instagram while the loser who chose not to get the vaccine sits at home alone.
    "Lifting all restrictions in one go is reckless, and doing so when the Johnson Variant is clearly out of control risks a summer of chaos.

We're heading now for an NHS summer crisis"

said Sir Keir

• MaxPB said:

I've started tentatively looking at a foreign holiday next year and I reckon that will be a huge nudge factor in getting vaccinated.

We might rail about vaxports but other countries aren't taking any chances, is a case of you cannot come here without evidence of being jabbed.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

I think you want some hills to cool the place, and to be on the Atlantic coast for its moderating effect on Temperature, good food and culture, and healthcare. I would reckon the North Coast of Spain would be a good bet.
    edited August 2021
    Remember also The Saj said may go up to 100k, but because of effectiveness of vaccines, this would be ok.

That's quite different from iSAGE who were saying we were going to hell in a hand cart with 100k, maybe 200k cases.
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

"Lifting all restrictions in one go is reckless, and doing so when the Johnson Variant is clearly out of control risks a summer of chaos.

said Sir Keir

Yeah the guy's a numpty. Anyone who was speaking with that kind of certainty is a complete idiot. We were literally in uncharted territory at that point and no one really knew which way it was going to go. I hoped that we'd seen the peak at 46k or whatever it turned out to be but there was (and still is IMO) a fair chance that we're going to get another one in October/November once schools are back plus no legal restrictions.

The worst bit about Starmer is that he didn't oppose the step 4 unlockdown anyway. So it was just empty rhetoric from an empty suit.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish.

I perfectly accept we elect a UK government and that Starmer does not need to win a majority in England to become PM.

I just want an English Parliament within the UK with the same powers the other Home Nations parliaments have.

If I was an English Nationalist I would be advocating for English independence

MaxPB said:

I've started tentatively looking at a foreign holiday next year and I reckon that will be a huge nudge factor in getting vaccinated.

We might rail about vaxports but other countries aren't taking any chances, is a case of you cannot come here without evidence of being jabbed.
    Just walked into a new Athens bar for a snack and I was quite firmly asked “are you vaccinated”

They didn’t aak for proof but I suspect that’s because I am clearly a middle aged Brit, and we are all vaxxed. Vaxports are here, like it or not
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

Yes, the CFA was pretty tough when I did it. Loads of otherwise smart people seemed to fail. Not sure how I got through it all, it's all a blur now.
    In the 60s the pass rate was 81%
    70s 71%
    80s 65%
    90s 59%
    00s 43%
    10s 43%
    20s 44%
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited August 2021

Remember also The Saj said may go up to 100k, but because of effectiveness of vaccines, this would be ok. That's quite different from iSAGE who were saying we were going to hell in a hand cart.

There's been so pretty shit predictions throughout this pandemic.

My favourites were the false positives mob, Alistair Hames and his trend lines which mesmerised the gullible, and of course that chap who said we had reached herd immunity by May 2020.
    edited August 2021
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

said Sir Keir

Yeah the guy's a numpty. Anyone who was speaking with that kind of certainty is a complete idiot. We were literally in uncharted territory at that point and no one really knew which way it was going to go. I hoped that we'd seen the peak at 46k or whatever it turned out to be but there was (and still is IMO) a fair chance that we're going to get another one in October/November once schools are back plus no legal restrictions.

The worst bit about Starmer is that he didn't oppose the step 4 unlockdown anyway. So it was just empty rhetoric from an empty suit.
    That is Starmer's response at every step, its reckless, its a disaster, its no way to proceed...and what would you do different....tumbleweed....
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

(in 2005)
    Well you can only beat what's in front of you.
    In all honesty I wish I had only done four and, more importantly, done different subjects.

Sadly, my secondary with no sixth form gave me no help when it came to picking A levels.
    edited August 2021
    Talking of Starmer, here is he again....

Keir Starmer has called on Boris Johnson to sack his education secretary, Gavin Williamson, for failing children during the pandemic and presiding over a “yawning gap” in attainment between private and state school pupils.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/11/keir-starmer-gavin-williamson-sacked-pandemic-failures
  • Williamson should be sacked over exam failures, says Starmer

Exclusive: two years of chaotic policies and ‘yawning’ attainment gap makes position untenable, says Labour leader

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/11/keir-starmer-gavin-williamson-sacked-pandemic-failures
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

(Pay attention, really!)

It's very interesting.

I think you want some hills to cool the place, and to be on the Atlantic coast for its moderating effect on Temperature, good food and culture, and healthcare. I would reckon the North Coast of Spain would be a good bet.
    Yes, that’s kinda my thinking. Also the northern end of Portugal. Beautifully green, and also full of cheap property (unlike southern Portugal)
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Remember also The Saj said may go up to 100k, but because of effectiveness of vaccines, this would be ok. That's quite different from iSAGE who were saying we were going to hell in a hand cart.

There's been so pretty shit predictions throughout this pandemic.

My favourites were the false positives mob, Alistair Hames and his trend lines which mesmerised the gullible, and off course that chap who said we had reached herd immunity by May 2020.
    But, dark matter!
This discussion has been closed.