Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Cuomos and goings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I see Opinium has the SNP on 6% - implying a Scotland vote share of circa 70%. Not sure about that.

I'm sure about it, it's balls.

Mind you if it was 2% there'd be a bit of breathless excitement in the air on here..
    More likely to be circa 4%.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited August 2021

MrEd said:

Olympics: my overall view is that GB did really well, much better than I expected!

Top 4 and maintaining level of medals won compared with 2016 and 2012 is excellent.

The future: let's transfer the money from public school rowing to street working class sports like BMX and skateboarding 😊

... and to those other street working class sports such as, er... modern pentathlon and horse riding?
    Why shouldn't we have working class kids excelling in those sports? We should be facilitating a levelling as much as possible
    I was being tongue in cheek, but really how many schools have their own stables?

https://www.millfieldschool.com/news-events/blog/blog-details/~board/millfield-blog/post/life-as-a-horse-rider-at-millfield-prep-school
    Bearing in mind that Millfield offer Sports Scholarships and Bursaries up to 100%, any class-based critique is perhaps a little moot.

I think the place has 9 alumni in GB Team Tokyo.
    https://ie-today.co.uk/news/highest-number-of-millfield-alumni-competing-in-olympics-for-nearly-30-years/
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021
    Again people seem to be confusing the pot of money set aside for elite Olympic sport and funding for grass roots sports...and some have a quaint notion that if you fund a sport you will get to the Olympics and then people will see it.

The Olympics now is just the elite of the elite* (no eric the eels in the pool anymore). You need to be in the top few in the world to even go and compete in the heats. So again giving Olympic funding to sports that stand no chance of qualifying doesn't achieve this aim of inspiring the youth etc. You already have to have a strong base of high level competitors, where this money will just enable them to make that final step up by being able to totally focus on just their sport.

* Excluding the odd person the IOC invites from an unrepresented nation.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Interesting. Blood flow may be restricted in Long Covid and a team at Erlang have found a way to measure this in the eye.

Danny Altmann Retweeted
    Tobi @tobiasg82
    ·
    13h
    the university of Erlangen developed a non invasive test on #LongCovid that can be done in any eye hospital. And they have a drug in pipeline to help patients. Public attention would be helpful.
    https://fau.eu/2021/07/06/news/medication-for-autoantibodies-also-effective-for-long-covid/
    @LongCovidNL @AllianzLong @patientled @NHSEngland

https://twitter.com/tobiasg82/status/1424132142150344707
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Wow, it's a bit hot on here atm, so I'll just try to change the subject. ;)

I couldn't believe the rudeness I received on joining. Not a word of gracious or gentlemanly welcome (since almost everyone seems to be a white man of a certain age).

I hope I will stick around but if I do it will be with great caution. There's far too much anger and argument online at the moment.
    As I recall the accusations of trolling were due to a claim you made that the government was preparing for a further lockdown in October. Which you were not able to further elaborate.
    DougSeal in particular was unpleasantly rude, without cause.

I mentioned that I'd heard from someone on the inside (DWP) that they had been told to prepare for lockdown this October.

Yesterday as it happens this was widely reported in media outlets (see below) so it obviously wasn't just me trolling for no reason.

Maybe next time be a little less quick to jump on some newcomer simply because you don't like what they post. A welcome would have been nice.

Thank you to everyone else who today has more than made up for it. I feel pleasantly warm now :smiley:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/07/plans-drawn-up-for-firebreak-lockdowns-in-winter-to-stop-nhs-being-overwhelmed-15052809/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15801447/firebreak-covid-lockdowns-autumn/

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/covid-government-draws-up-contingency-plans-firebreak-lockdowns-over-winter-1140135

Yes, I think the ending of covid funding for the NHS shortly, will have the NHS keeling over again. It is pretty grim with the bed situation. I was speaking to one of our bowel surgeons about it the other day. List after list is being cancelled because no beds on HDU etc
    You have all that extra Brexit money and still it’s not enough?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

But personally, it feels more fun to watch British people doing well across a wider field. And unless position on the medal table gives you the horn, fun is what it's all about- isn't it?

It has to be about the medals as the UK is sliding into a Russian style brittle and insecure hypernationalism that requires it.
    Yes, suddenly there is enthusiasm for events that no one watches outside the Olympics. Is it really a better investment to have a transient flush of national pride, or to have serious sports programmes for young people in games that they want to play, like basketball?

Is the purpose of sport to give us something to watch from our sofas, or to give us a reason to get off them?
    That's a really lazy assumption, if young people really enjoyed basketball why has it never taken off here? We've had multiple attempts in the UK to get a domestic league going, the BBC had viewing rights and put it on TV at one point and no one watched it and no one went to games. I went to a London Towers match and my dad and I were about two out of the 30 people in the audience.

The most popular youth sports are still staples like football, various types of cycling, swimming, rugby, cricket etc...
    Leicester Riders get a decent crowd, and play in a 3000 seat indoor arena. Basketball is a popular street sport too, as can be played in quite constricted spaces.
    So get Sky to pick it up and televise it.
    No, my point is do we want sport to be participatory, or for television audiences?

Seeing sport and activity as TV entertainment rather than exercise and health is part of our obesity problem.
    How do you inspire the next generation without the former. Listen to Lutalo Muhammad this morning from the BBC, he literally said that it's the Olympics which has changed the game for UK Tae Kwon Do participation. Kids watch UK sports stars like him, Jade Jones or Nicola Adams in the Boxing, Jason Kenny on the track and think "I can do that".

Sports participation is highly dependent on watching it. I took up cycling in 2008 after Beijing and started cycling to work and still go out cycling, though probably not as much as Dura-Ace or TOPPING. Kids took up gymnastics after watching Beth Tweddle and Louis Smith at the Olympics. My little 3 year old niece is obsessed with Tom Daley's diving right now.
    You only have to look at cricket to see what happens when a sport isn't on TV. Unfortunately it's taken the ECB over a decade to see what happens. Now they're desperately trying to make up for it with the nonsense that is The Hundred.
    Yes indeed. I'm worried that the next couple of cycles will be a real disaster for sports participation because it will be behind the Eurosport paywall. I think the government needs to act and make all 3500 live sport hours a protected national sport that must be shown live on the BBC or other free TV. What's the point of having such an expensive elite sporting programme if people, kids especially, can't watch it.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    isam said:

…sad news from Upminster Waitrose for Boris haters - the shelves were full

Except for bottled water… that seems to be a common theme in the photos shared by doom merchants who’ve given up hoping for 100,000 Covid cases a day

I'm stunned. @isam a Waitrose shopper! I hope you were able to purchase some Good Brie.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    'Can you point us in direction of world famous Salisbury Cathedral, yes please?'

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

But personally, it feels more fun to watch British people doing well across a wider field. And unless position on the medal table gives you the horn, fun is what it's all about- isn't it?

It has to be about the medals as the UK is sliding into a Russian style brittle and insecure hypernationalism that requires it.
    Yes, suddenly there is enthusiasm for events that no one watches outside the Olympics. Is it really a better investment to have a transient flush of national pride, or to have serious sports programmes for young people in games that they want to play, like basketball?

Is the purpose of sport to give us something to watch from our sofas, or to give us a reason to get off them?
    That's a really lazy assumption, if young people really enjoyed basketball why has it never taken off here? We've had multiple attempts in the UK to get a domestic league going, the BBC had viewing rights and put it on TV at one point and no one watched it and no one went to games. I went to a London Towers match and my dad and I were about two out of the 30 people in the audience.

The most popular youth sports are still staples like football, various types of cycling, swimming, rugby, cricket etc...
    Leicester Riders get a decent crowd, and play in a 3000 seat indoor arena. Basketball is a popular street sport too, as can be played in quite constricted spaces.
    No, my point is do we want sport to be participatory, or for television audiences?

Seeing sport and activity as TV entertainment rather than exercise and health is part of our obesity problem.
    How do you inspire the next generation without the former. Listen to Lutalo Muhammad this morning from the BBC, he literally said that it's the Olympics which has changed the game for UK Tae Kwon Do participation. Kids watch UK sports stars like him, Jade Jones or Nicola Adams in the Boxing, Jason Kenny on the track and think "I can do that".

Sports participation is highly dependent on watching it. I took up cycling in 2008 after Beijing and started cycling to work and still go out cycling, though probably not as much as Dura-Ace or TOPPING. Kids took up gymnastics after watching Beth Tweddle and Louis Smith at the Olympics. My little 3 year old niece is obsessed with Tom Daley's diving right now.
    You only have to look at cricket to see what happens when a sport isn't on TV. Unfortunately it's taken the ECB over a decade to see what happens. Now they're desperately trying to make up for it with the nonsense that is The Hundred.
    Yes indeed. I'm worried that the next couple of cycles will be a real disaster for sports participation because it will be behind the Eurosport paywall. I think the government needs to act and make all 3500 live sport hours a protected national sport that must be shown live on the BBC or other free TV. What's the point of having such an expensive elite sporting programme if people, kids especially, can't watch it.
    Actually, I think the current deal is fine. The problem is the BBC. What they should have done is had two red button feeds (I think they could have done that) showing sport and used BBC1 as a showcase channel dipping in and out of what was on the red button feed.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,726

isam said:

Except for bottled water… that seems to be a common theme in the photos shared by doom merchants who’ve given up hoping for 100,000 Covid cases a day

I'm stunned. @isam a Waitrose shopper! I hope you were able to purchase some Good Brie.
    A proper PBer buys flaked Parmesan.
    edited August 2021
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Two live feeds is more than the BBC had until 2000....it isn't perfect, but a big part of the problem is the BBC use of this rights. Having Chris Hoy pin badges on some cardboard medal table while Team GB cyclists were competing...they missed the 100m heats for similar reasons.

The coverage in the middle of the night felt like they planned the 2 streams and the pressed the buttons and went to sleep, not reacting to changes in timings...they were often left covering he same sport on both channels (one slightly delayed version of the other), or in the studio just filling for 30 mins rather than dip into another sport. Or failing to leave a sport with no Team GB involvement, while missing others with it

justin124 said:

I see Opinium has the SNP on 6% - implying a Scotland vote share of circa 70%. Not sure about that.

Possibly due to rounding although I would still be surprised at the SNP getting more than 50% in Scotland which only equates to 4.9%.
    I believe that the population of Scotland is circa 8.5% of the GB total.
    edited August 2021
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Possibly due to rounding although I would still be surprised at the SNP getting more than 50% in Scotland which only equates to 4.9%.
    What about the electorate though? Bearing in mind a higher proportion of non-voting immigrants live in England, and I also believe (although I could be wrong) that Scotland has a higher average age than England.

Edit - no it's the same, 8.48% (4,167361 of 49,153,766 on December 2020 figures).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/elections/electoralregistration/datasets/electoralstatisticsforuk
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

For their Hawaian Pizza with lashings of pineapple?

ydoethur said:

isam said:

That would be an improper PBer.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. 124, aye, Scotland has about 8% of the UK population, Wales about 3%. I think Northern Ireland is 1%.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Someone posted an interesting excerpt from an interview with Christian Drosten saying something similar.

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Actually, I think the current deal is fine. The problem is the BBC. What they should have done is had two red button feeds (I think they could have done that) showing sport and used BBC1 as a showcase channel dipping in and out of what was on the red button feed.
    It's going to be a lot worse for Paris because it's the same timezone this time the lack of the full live sports programme was covered by most people being asleep for most of it. For Paris we'll all be awake trying to watch multiple sports and finding the BBC are showing something we don't care about or are in the studio chatting about stuff we don't care about and most people won't be able to access Eurosport 1-9 or have Discovery+ with the latter being completely shit with the world's worst stream quality compared to the 4K stream we had with the Euros on iPlayer.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    edited August 2021

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Furthermore, even if we stopped all oil production now others in the world will continue to produce it and we are then at a self imposed disadvantage, while offers gain and climate change continues

This has to be agreed on a world wide scale

That's never going to happen. We'll all be dead waiting for that.
    And that is the huge problem

Either the world comes together or climate change will continue to everyone's detriment

I am sadly not hopeful COP26 will be anything other than a talking shop and then everyone goes away and little happens to deal with climate change
    It is all down to China. If China doesn't want to do it, it doesn't get done.
    China. Marvelous place. Hosts the Winter Olympics in six months time. No calls for boycotts.
    USA 39 golds
    China 38 golds

:)
    China will win the Paralympics easily. Which is interesting as it doesn't entriely chime with the view of China suppressing diversity and inclusion.
    I wonder what the tables are in terms of golds in terms of population ....... IE if for example USA had population of 420 million and the Uk 70 million. Our relative golds would be about 6... so we are really punching above our weight and China is crap 🤣🤣🤣🤣☝️🤣
    edited August 2021
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

It's going to be a lot worse for Paris because it's the same timezone this time the lack of the full live sports programme was covered by most people being asleep for most of it. For Paris we'll all be awake trying to watch multiple sports and finding the BBC are showing something we don't care about or are in the studio chatting about stuff we don't care about and most people won't be able to access Eurosport 1-9 or have Discovery+ with the latter being completely shit with the world's worst stream quality compared to the 4K stream we had with the Euros on iPlayer.
    4k wasn't fully available on iPlayer...only select TVs. On PC, it wasn't even full HD. And even though I had a compatible tv, for the final iPlayer wouldn't let me watch it in 4k (i presume they didn't have enough capacity in place).
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited August 2021

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Ahead of National Pizza Day on February 9 [2021], Uber Eats has revealed the UK’s top 10 favourite pizza toppings, with vegetarian, pepperoni and four cheese making the top three.

Pizza proved extremely popular this year with orders increasing by 294% in the past year as the nation turned to comfort food to get them through the year.

The nation may be looking for comfort but Brits are still trying to get their five a day as vegetarian toppled classics pepperoni and four cheese in the list of favourites. But meat lovers can rest assured that their favourites are still safe with meat feast and bacon joining pepperoni in the top 10.

Meanwhile the nation seems to believe that pineapple does belong on pizza with the controversial topping coming in sixth. From pineapple to pepperoni, Uber Eats offers a wide range of options to cater to all topping needs.

The UK’s Top 10 Pizza Toppings:

Vegetarian
    Pepperoni
    Four cheese
    Margherita
    Meat feast
    Hawaiian
    Olives
    Tuna and sweetcorn
    Bacon
    Spicy jalapeno

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/uks-favourite-pizza-toppings-ranked-19775001
    Crisis averted in the Rentool kitchen. Wor Lass thought we were out of amaranth flour, but then found some behind the organic spelt flour.

Sadly, I'm not making this up.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Hate to break it to you Malc, but they really aren't. You, TUD and Stuart have gone galumphing past them.

I'm puzzled as to why, but the three of you - and not all nationalist posters suffer from it - seem to be becoming more strident and hysterical in recent weeks. TUD always had an edge, and got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made or accused people of being drunks. Stuart, of course, always accused everyone of not knowing Scotland, as befits our poster from Sweden. And you of course always insulted everyone with invention and flair.

But just recently, TUD has entirely given up engaging with facts or providing reasoned arguments, Stuart has started to resemble the Russian bots who got the boot and you've started condoning racism against posters you don't like.

Which seems - well, odd.

I was wondering why. Is it frustration that the SNP are incapable of given you what you want? Embarrassment at the way Salmond and Sturgeon have been knocking lumps out of each other (not very successfully in Salmond's case)? Or just a desire to make the English hate you so much that they will kick Scotland out of the union just to shut you all up?

It's especially odd as it doesn't seem to have affected Carnyx or Alistair, who are still people you can have a perfectly reasonable conversation with.

Can you point me to the occasion or occasions when I got defensive about people being accused of being drunks? I'd hate to think that you'd gone off on one of your pompous pronouncements based on a misapprehension (not for the first time).
    That's the implication of your 'Scotch expert' tag.

It may not be deliberate, of course.

Edit - btw, there should be a comma there. 'got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made, or accused people of being drunks.'

I blame autocorrect...
    Lol, one your weakest comebacks, and you've had some pretty anemic ones.
    I note, as usual, you are unable to engage with the actual substance.

When you're able to, people will take you seriously.

Until then, you're just a Scottish version of Dominic Cummings.

I don't know why you've gone so far downhill, and it's a bit sad to watch actually. But you have.
    'and got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made or accused people of being drunks.'

'Can you point me to the occasion or occasions when I got defensive about people being accused of being drunks?'

'That's the implication of your 'Scotch expert' tag.'

What's that about substance?

For the avoidance of doubt, being taken seriously on here is not high on my agenda. The prevalence of pompous twerps who take themselves very seriously indeed is an eternal admonition on that front.
    Well, that is the substance of it. You accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being a 'Scotch expert,' i.e. a drunk.

Now that may not be what you intend, but it's what you say. And while it started out being mildly amusing, it's becoming more and more aggressive, as you are becoming.

So, is there a reason for it? I was just wondering. If you can't explain your own changing behaviour, that's fair enough, you don't have to. Just don't be surprised if you come in for criticism over it.
    No.

That's not what Scotch Expert means.

Scotch Expert means someone who knows fuck all about Scotland pronouncing on Scotland. The reason why it means that is because traditionally people who know fuck all about Scotland call Scottish people "The Scotch"
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Someone posted an interesting excerpt from an interview with Christian Drosten saying something similar.

An important point. Government should be telling non vaxxed that they will get this disease.

Campaign slogan:

"You vax or you catch."

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

isam said:

This from a man with three varieties of balsamic vinegar in the cupboard...

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I’ve turned my TV off at the plug, it gets used so rarely. What matters nowadays is what you see via iplayer.

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Two live feeds is more than the BBC had until 2000....it isn't perfect, but a big part of the problem is the BBC use of this rights. Having Chris Hoy pin badges on some cardboard medal table while Team GB cyclists were competing...they missed the 100m heats for similar reasons.

The coverage in the middle of the night felt like they planned the 2 streams and the pressed the buttons and went to sleep, not reacting to changes in timings...they were often left covering he same sport on both channels (one slightly delayed version of the other), or in the studio just filling for 30 mins rather than dip into another sport. Or failing to leave a sport with no Team GB involvement, while missing others with it
    I haven't seen much live because of the timings, but when I have done, there is far too much filler, and padding with human interest stories.

A bit of explaining of the rules and tactics would help with the less familiar sports, then just show the athletes doing their thing.

Perhaps Eurosport is better, but I haven't got access. Might be worth it for Paris though.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Hate to break it to you Malc, but they really aren't. You, TUD and Stuart have gone galumphing past them.

I'm puzzled as to why, but the three of you - and not all nationalist posters suffer from it - seem to be becoming more strident and hysterical in recent weeks. TUD always had an edge, and got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made or accused people of being drunks. Stuart, of course, always accused everyone of not knowing Scotland, as befits our poster from Sweden. And you of course always insulted everyone with invention and flair.

But just recently, TUD has entirely given up engaging with facts or providing reasoned arguments, Stuart has started to resemble the Russian bots who got the boot and you've started condoning racism against posters you don't like.

Which seems - well, odd.

I was wondering why. Is it frustration that the SNP are incapable of given you what you want? Embarrassment at the way Salmond and Sturgeon have been knocking lumps out of each other (not very successfully in Salmond's case)? Or just a desire to make the English hate you so much that they will kick Scotland out of the union just to shut you all up?

It's especially odd as it doesn't seem to have affected Carnyx or Alistair, who are still people you can have a perfectly reasonable conversation with.

Can you point me to the occasion or occasions when I got defensive about people being accused of being drunks? I'd hate to think that you'd gone off on one of your pompous pronouncements based on a misapprehension (not for the first time).

Edit - btw, there should be a comma there. 'got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made, or accused people of being drunks.'

I blame autocorrect...

I don't know why you've gone so far downhill, and it's a bit sad to watch actually. But you have.
    'and got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made or accused people of being drunks.'

'Can you point me to the occasion or occasions when I got defensive about people being accused of being drunks?'

For the avoidance of doubt, being taken seriously on here is not high on my agenda. The prevalence of pompous twerps who take themselves very seriously indeed is an eternal admonition on that front.
    Well, that is the substance of it. You accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being a 'Scotch expert,' i.e. a drunk.

Now that may not be what you intend, but it's what you say. And while it started out being mildly amusing, it's becoming more and more aggressive, as you are becoming.

So, is there a reason for it? I was just wondering. If you can't explain your own changing behaviour, that's fair enough, you don't have to. Just don't be surprised if you come in for criticism over it.
    No.

Scotch Expert means someone who knows fuck all about Scotland pronouncing on Scotland. The reason why it means that is because traditionally people who know fuck all about Scotland call Scottish people "The Scotch"
    That's one view. IMV it's a silly thing to say, as the person saying it has no blooming idea how much the poster really knows about Scotland. It also presupposes that the person saying it has some magical insight into what it is to be 'Scottish', as if they know the minds of all Scottish people.

In reality, they're just talking about their own world view.

So perhaps it's just an utterly pathetic way of ignoring and belittling what an opponent has to say?

As an aside, I can't say I've heard Scottish people being called 'The Scotch' in years. 'Scottish', usually.
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

What about the electorate though? Bearing in mind a higher proportion of non-voting immigrants live in England, and I also believe (although I could be wrong) that Scotland has a higher average age than England.

Edit - no it's the same, 8.48% (4,167361 of 49,153,766 on December 2020 figures).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/elections/electoralregistration/datasets/electoralstatisticsforuk
    Actually that is UK data. On a GB basis it works out at 8.83%.
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

I blame autocorrect...

No.

Stop egging him on.
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

I blame autocorrect...

No.

Stop egging him on.
    An egg in scotch? Is that a very weird kind of posset?
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Actually that is UK data. On a GB basis it works out at 8.83%.
    So roughly speaking the Scottish electorate should be about 9% of any subsamble - which makes your figures pretty accurate. 6% would put them on 67% (er...) around 50% would be 4.5%.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited August 2021
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

I blame autocorrect...

No.

Can we clarify something.

Does Scotch expert also apply to the Scot Nats who predicted

1) 12% or 14% minimum for Alba in May's elections?

or

2) In early September 2014 told anyone who predicted and/or bet on Scotland voting No were 'clueless wonders in for a shock?' or 'doing their money in'?
    Alistair said:

No.

Incoming 'no, let me in boondockshire, Wangland tell you what it means'.
    edited August 2021

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Ahead of National Pizza Day on February 9 [2021], Uber Eats has revealed the UK’s top 10 favourite pizza toppings, with vegetarian, pepperoni and four cheese making the top three.

Pizza proved extremely popular this year with orders increasing by 294% in the past year as the nation turned to comfort food to get them through the year.

The nation may be looking for comfort but Brits are still trying to get their five a day as vegetarian toppled classics pepperoni and four cheese in the list of favourites. But meat lovers can rest assured that their favourites are still safe with meat feast and bacon joining pepperoni in the top 10.

Meanwhile the nation seems to believe that pineapple does belong on pizza with the controversial topping coming in sixth. From pineapple to pepperoni, Uber Eats offers a wide range of options to cater to all topping needs.

The UK’s Top 10 Pizza Toppings:

Vegetarian
    Pepperoni
    Four cheese
    Margherita
    Meat feast
    Hawaiian
    Olives
    Tuna and sweetcorn
    Bacon
    Spicy jalapeno

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/uks-favourite-pizza-toppings-ranked-19775001
    We sometimes order from Papa John's when on call at the weekend. They do a very nice Hawaiian with shredded ham. The Greek is a good vegetarian choice too. All are very salty though.

• isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited August 2021

isam said:

I do like Waitrose I can’t deny it. It is the nearest shop to us too. don’t like cheese though, so that wasn’t on the shopping list
    edited August 2021
    MaxPB said:
    1500m athlete done for blood doping this morning....i would suggest only the absolute idiots get caught actually at the Olympics. All the "hard work" is done prior to that.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited August 2021

Alistair said:

No.

Incoming 'no, let me in boondockshire, Wangland tell you what it means'.
    Amazing! I heard a song on the radio (Time FM East London & Essex) in my way to await rise, and it was about ‘Boondocks’ - I thought to myself ‘I have no idea what they’re talking about’

MaxPB said:
    1500m athlete done for blood doping this morning....i would suggest only the absolute idiots get caught actually at the Olympics. All the "hard work" is done prior to that.
    Only dopes get caught with drugs.

Could work as a slogan...
  • Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I haven't seen much live because of the timings, but when I have done, there is far too much filler, and padding with human interest stories.

A bit of explaining of the rules and tactics would help with the less familiar sports, then just show the athletes doing their thing.

Perhaps Eurosport is better, but I haven't got access. Might be worth it for Paris though.
    It was a strange decision to have limited capacity for coverage to just two streams, then to decide to fill so much of the live coverage with the human interest angle. Surely that is what the highlights shows are for and how many casuals are up at 4am to watch a minority sport just on the off chance and thus need to be given the full back story of a medal prospect.
    isam said:

isam said:

I do like Waitrose I can’t deny it. It is the nearest shop to us too. don’t like cheese though, so that wasn’t on the shopping list
    The encouraging thing is that all the main supermarkets offer genuine grated parmigiano nowadays - the days when Brits would settle for a pot of grated Gran Padano and think it was the real deal are over.
  • Lionel Messi: Paris St-Germain move 'a possibility' after Barcelona exit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58137262

I don't want to leave, but how can one man live on less than £50m a year after earning £500m over the past 5 years in wages alone....
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

I blame autocorrect...

No.

If you need to explain it...

That's one view. IMV it's a silly thing to say, as the person saying it has no blooming idea how much the poster really knows about Scotland. It also presupposes that the person saying it has some magical insight into what it is to be 'Scottish', as if they know the minds of all Scottish people.

So perhaps it's just an utterly pathetic way of ignoring and belittling what an opponent has to say?

As an aside, I can't say I've heard Scottish people being called 'The Scotch' in years. 'Scottish', usually.

I think I can get a blooming idea from eg the 100s, nay 1000s, of posts over the years predicting the imminent demise of the SNP or the cretinous commentary on the Salmond-Sturgeon imbroglio or screeching about one party states about how much posters really know about Scotland.
  • Lionel Messi: Paris St-Germain move 'a possibility' after Barcelona exit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58137262

I don't want to leave, but how can one man live on less than £50m a year after earning £500m over the past 5 years in wages alone....

I saw a stat the other day. Barcelona are in debt of €1.3 billion, since 2006 they've paid Messi €675 million.
    In other news, it seems it is too windy today for Paris to secure the world record for flying the biggest flag ever, from the Eiffel Tower

I saw a stat the other day. Barcelona are in debt of €1.3 billion, since 2006 they've paid Messi €675 million.
    The Athletic have done a number of pieces on this...its total insanity and the head of the Spanish FA has said enough is enough....

Lionel Messi: Paris St-Germain move 'a possibility' after Barcelona exit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58137262

Who can afford Messi? I don't think that there is a European club that would, and I am not aware of an English PL team that is interested.

A record total of 94 different nations won a medal at Tokyo 2020, including Turkmenistan, San Marino and Burkina Faso -- who all claimed their first Olympic medals.

Japan, Italy, Netherlands, Brazil, New Zealand, Chinese Taipei and Turkey also set new records for most medals secured at a single Olympic Games.
    Foxy said:

Lionel Messi: Paris St-Germain move 'a possibility' after Barcelona exit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58137262

Who can afford Messi? I don't think that there is a European club that would, and I am not aware of an English PL team that is interested.
    PSG.
    DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

I blame autocorrect...

No.

If you need to explain it...
    I think the poster in question (not Alistair) is barley with it at the moment.
  • Foxy said:

PSG and Manchester City.
    On the topic of the footy, is it @Scrapheap_as_was that hosts the PB fantasy league? Presumably keen to run it again?

The Athletic have done a number of pieces on this...its total insanity and the head of the Spanish FA has said enough is enough....
    I actually think long term is great news for Barca, they won't be spending €200 million on Messi over the next four years.
    This has got to be one of the worst closing ceremonies that I've seen. It's just weird. Taking ages as well.
  • PSG have assembled quite a team this summer via freebies (if you exclude the massive wages).
  • Foxy said:

On the topic of the footy, is it @Scrapheap_as_was that hosts the PB fantasy league? Presumably keen to run it again?

He posted this the other day.

** PB Fantasy Football League ***

If there's any new whippersnappers on PB who want to join the old crusties for the coming season, the code to enter it is:

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/005en8

Good luck and if picking Harry Kane, please remember to lobby him on twitter to stay at the Lane - under Pep roulette, you never know when he might get a game!

PSG have assembled quite a team this summer via freebies (if you exclude the massive wages).

And agent fees.

Foxy said:

PSG and Manchester City.
    I didn't think much of Man City yesterday. Kids wet behind the ears and many players still on a summer break. I think they will be off to a slow start.

I wonder who Kane will be playing for next weekend? It could be interesting if still with Spurs.

Window closes 2nd September, I think.
    MaxPB said:

This has got to be one of the worst closing ceremonies that I've seen. It's just weird. Taking ages as well.

I don’t recall ours being anything to write home about. Apart from Eric Idle.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    IanB2 said:

A record total of 94 different nations won a medal at Tokyo 2020, including Turkmenistan, San Marino and Burkina Faso -- who all claimed their first Olympic medals.

Japan, Italy, Netherlands, Brazil, New Zealand, Chinese Taipei and Turkey also set new records for most medals secured at a single Olympic Games.

Hang on - San Marino has a population of 34,000 and won three medals.

Britain has 2000 times as many people so why haven't we won 6000 medals?

I'm going to go have my lunch now....

I actually think long term is great news for Barca, they won't be spending €200 million on Messi over the next four years.
    The problem they have is they still have far too many old and duffer players on big money that post-covid market nobody is willing to take off their hands just because they are Barcelona.
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Which is what you want right? Unmemorable, hand it over, see you in 4 years. This has just been weird and overly long.
  • MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Which is what you want right? Unmemorable, hand it over, see you in 4 years. This has just been weird and overly long.
    The Marseillaise is fine!
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457
    Foxy said:

Messi will want to play for an Argentinian manager, obviously. Bielsa. Lionel, welcome to Leeds Utd.

The problem they have is they still have far too many old and duffer players on big money that post-covid market nobody is willing to take off their hands just because they are Barcelona.
    Indeed, but I'll always be grateful to Barca.

2018: They paid £142 million to Liverpool FC for Coutinho and we spent that money on Van Dijk and Alisson Becker and still had money left over.
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm now remembering the Beijing closing ceremony.

Boris Johnson flapping a flag about...
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261
    Foxy said:

I don't know about Eurosport, but I've always been fond of the Euronews 24 channel when I watched it in hotelsa few years ago - no celebrity announcers/commentators, or anyone named at all - just the news, with pictures and anonymous voice-over newsreading. If you've had enough of the self-important Paxman/Humphries school of journalism, it's bliss.

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

The French have the best national anthem. Most are dire.
    Less than six months until the Winter Olympics opens in Beijing.

When I suspect this putative EU team might do rather well…..
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Russia's is quite good as well, to be fair.
  • Foxy said:

I don't know about Eurosport, but I've always been fond of the Euronews 24 channel when I watched it in hotelsa few years ago - no celebrity announcers/commentators, or anyone named at all - just the news, with pictures and anonymous voice-over newsreading. If you've had enough of the self-important Paxman/Humphries school of journalism, it's bliss.
    Euronews and Eurosport have nobody to do with one another. Eurosport is owned by Americans Discovery.
    All these photos of athletes biting their medals. Are they secretly hoping that they are made of chocolate?

2018: They paid £142 million to Liverpool FC for Coutinho and we spent that money on Van Dijk and Alisson Becker and still had money left over.
    There are rumours of Coutinho to Leicester, but I think we have too many crocked players already.

Worst decision that Rodgers made was getting rid of our long serving physio, Dave Rennie. Now reunited with Big Nige at Bristol. Ever since then we have had a string of injuries. Rumour had it that Rennie objected to players being rushed back, then getting further injuries.

Liverpool seem to have had a quiet transfer season.
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

And the Italian. Only they could get away with singing the same words to two different tunes, the second of which barely scans.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Leon said:

America just edging China at the last. Will GB hold off Fake Russia?! Nail biter

All the medals tables I’ve seen in the US, have been ordered by total number of medals, not by number of golds. This means that the US has led throughout.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

America just edging China at the last. Will GB hold off Fake Russia?! Nail biter

All the medals tables I’ve seen in the US, have been ordered by total number of medals, not by number of golds. This means that the US has led throughout.
    Not according to CNN!
  • IanB2 said:

Less than six months until the Winter Olympics opens in Beijing.

When I suspect this putative EU team might do rather well…..

Anglosphere* team @Tokyo:

Gold 94
    Silver 81
    Bronze 97
    TOTAL 272

EU** team @Tokyo:

Gold 83
    Silver 94
    Bronze 107
    TOTAL 284

(* USA, Eng+Sco+Wal+NI, Canada, Australia, NZ and Ireland)
    (** excluding (Anglophone) Ireland)
  • BREAKING: The Gold medal for biggest d*ckhead of the Tokyo Olympics goes to French marathon runner Morhad Amdouni who deliberately knocks over all the water for his fellow competitors…Unbelievable! https://t.co/D4IwmlAHlL

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1424305458320392201?s=19

I need a lie down, I agree with Piers....
  • Foxy said:

There are rumours of Coutinho to Leicester, but I think we have too many crocked players already.

Worst decision that Rodgers made was getting rid of our long serving physio, Dave Rennie. Now reunited with Big Nige at Bristol. Ever since then we have had a string of injuries. Rumour had it that Rennie objected to players being rushed back, then getting further injuries.

Liverpool seem to have had a quiet transfer season.
    We only spend what we earn or sell is the FSG model.

I do expect some more transfers in if/when Origi and Shaqiri are sold.

Plus the RedBird money is being used to plug the Covid-19 losses and the expansion of the Anfield Road end.
  • Leon said:

In 5-10 years time, half of fake Russia will have been popped for drugs anyway....
    Alistair said:

or

2) In early September 2014 told anyone who predicted and/or bet on Scotland voting No were 'clueless wonders in for a shock?' or 'doing their money in'?

People living in Sweden can be Scotch Experts.

People predicting double digits Alba seats are Turnips.
    What about supporters of Salmond? Are they man goes?
  • Alistair said:

or

People living in Sweden can be Scotch Experts.

People predicting double digits Alba seats are Turnips.
    Superb.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    Interesting part of the closing ceremony - from no spectator covid gripped Tokyo to a crowd in Paris.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

So Starmer is ready to abandon the Scottish oil industry, Sturgeon is moving towards doing so too and only Boris is ready to give the oil field the go ahead

Boris can't decide if he wants to be the new Greta Thurnberg or the new Jeremy Clarkson. COP 26 is shaping up to be a fiasco for the Government
    > Mail On Sunday > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9872289/DAN-HODGES-Boris-decide-hes-Jeremy-Clarkson-Greta-Thunberg.html
    Vote Blue, Go Green may be laudable but as Cameron discovered in 2010 it doesn't deliver a Tory majority.

The RedWall and indeed much of Scotland like Aberdeen and Shetland is much keener on coal and oil, so a balance has to be struck
    So alright to destroy the planet as long as we get a Tory majority?
    You can still transition gradually to renewables and nuclear without abandoning those who work in the oil industry
    You don't have to exactly abandon them, although that is a bit rich coming from the party who closed pits (not saying it was wrong, but it wasn't exactly done smoothly or compassionately).

But this transitioning gradually? You mean like we have been doing, with every country making excuses for why something doesn't apply to them while the planet boils.

Nero and Rome spring to mind.
    43% of UK energy already comes from renewables compared to 38% from fossil fuels, well above the global average of 28% of energy from renewables

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2021/03/25/renewable-energy-outperforms-fossil-fuels-in-uk/#:~:text=Renewables generated 43 per cent,onshore wind 11.2 per cent.
    https://www.iea.org/reports/global-energy-review-2020/renewables
    There you go again. We are doing ok so that is ok then. It isn't.

I don't know what the answer is HYUFD, but complacency it is not.
    There does seem to be a strong overlap between the following two groups:

1. Those who think the Cambo oilfield should go ahead because it won't make much difference to the environment as we'd have to import the oil anyway. So Starmer is wrong to oppose it.
    2. Those who think Thatcher was quite right to close the coal mines, although we ended up importing coal anyway.
    The coal mines closed (not Thatcher closed them) because they were uneconomic. Coal from a Colombian open pit mine could be dug up and transported across the Atlantic for a third of the price of deep mines in the UK, where reserves were rapidly dwindling.
  • ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

They're good, it's true, but the Welsh anthem is the best.

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Well, true, but I felt that went without saying.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

I blame autocorrect...

No.

you will be joining us on the naughty boys list Alistair.
  • NEW THREAD

DougSeal said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

EU countries win all three medals in men’s handball. In Dickson’s brave new world would that be the EU A, B, and C teams or can we just have done with this nonsense of aggregating medals amongst groups of countries?

Yet you are happy to do it for GB, more faces than the town clock.
    You absolute arse. No, I don’t and, in any event, there is only one team from GB, as you keep complaining. You are really as thick as mince aren’t you? An absolute joke of a poster. Swing on here, insult people, don’t bother to read their posts or take note of what they mean. You should take a long look at yourself you shower of a man.

Bellend. Absolute bellend.
    You halfwitted cretinous turd of a person, I know as soon as you have posted it will be pompous tanktop Britnat windbaggery crap. Go and have aeronautical sexual intercourse with a rolling doughnut you wimpy little whiner.

ie Go take a Flying F****
    This endless reciprocal slanging match between ScotNats and anti-ScotNats is very tedious, like seeing two gangs of drunks shouting in a bar. Most of us will worry about it when IndyRef2 comes round - in the meantime, give it a rest, eh?
    reciprocal ?

Where’s the level of bile and sheer hatred from the anti nats to compare to that you get from Malcolm ?

Don’t make out this is two sides equally at fault here.
    Yeah, the 'anti nats' are an example to us all.
    A quick flick through my memory banks brings up cunty, wankstain, dickstain, prick, paedo, Nazi among others directed at me. I think that's fine but pious hypocrites going on about nasty nats can girfut.

Apols to any maiden aunts looking in, but the mods didn't see fit to..er..moderate, so I don't see why I should.
    I’ve had all of those just from Malc. And I’m not even a Unionist.
    That is just a barefaced lie, I would never ever use any of those words. Nasty nasty post.

I thought Paris were skint as well
  • "No-one has organised a postponed games before."

London 1948 says hello.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,111
    justin124 said:

Tends to be very coarse rounding at that level - 4, 5 or 6. So not worth getting too aerated about.

I think I can get a blooming idea from eg the 100s, nay 1000s, of posts over the years predicting the imminent demise of the SNP or the cretinous commentary on the Salmond-Sturgeon imbroglio or screeching about one party states about how much posters really know about Scotland.
    A lack of knowledge of Scottish politics does not automatically equate to a lack of knowledge about Scotland. If it did, there'd be a fair few of your own countrymen who were, according to your metric, not your countrymen ...

(A large minority of people in most countries are totally unengaged with politics.)
  • ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

The Welsh anthem is dire. Wales has better near-anthems. Men of Harlech. Cwm Rhondda. Hymns and Arias (chorus only). Australia has a good tune, as do Germany and the EU.

A lack of knowledge of Scottish politics does not automatically equate to a lack of knowledge about Scotland. If it did, there'd be a fair few of your own countrymen who were, according to your metric, not your countrymen ...

(A large minority of people in most countries are totally unengaged with politics.)
    It's almost like we're not on a site that discusses politics.

We are. My point remains.

Besides, it might be worthwhile for you to give us some analysis from your vast experience of Scottish politics, aside from your usual posting of tweets or weird analysis of who are real experts on Scotland ...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

And the betting implications there of.

This discussion has been closed.