Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Cuomos and goings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

“I do it with everyone. Black and white, young and old, straight and LGBTQ, powerful people, friends, strangers, people who I meet on the street.”

A 33% return in just under five months!

....is how I read it. Great header. Nice antidote to the rather dreary Starmer bashing lower down the thread.

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

Interesting to work out which country has done WORST at these Olympics, taking into account gdp, gdp per capita, and population.

I think it might be Mexico. Vast population: 127m. Medium income with some high income areas

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Is wondering about that sort of thing what overdoing the chilli does for you? Personally I try to look for people's successes....... bright side and all that.
    Congrats to Fiji; two rugby sevens medals. Maybe the women will win gold next time.

(Edit; poor proof-reading before posting!)
    It is not enough for Britnats to succeed. Others must fail.
    You know what, you can have pride in what the Team has done without automatically become a "BritNat". Grow up.
    Catch you just before your regular pulpit gig did I?
    That's right, I'm off to the usual gig at the Kirk to give my fire and brimstone sermon.
    If it’s a weefree kirk, I’m sure they’ll enjoy one of your many paens to the pussy grabbing son of Lewis.
    They love it. Not so keen when I praise Alex Salmond though.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

So Starmer is ready to abandon the Scottish oil industry, Sturgeon is moving towards doing so too and only Boris is ready to give the oil field the go ahead

Boris can't decide if he wants to be the new Greta Thurnberg or the new Jeremy Clarkson. COP 26 is shaping up to be a fiasco for the Government
    > Mail On Sunday > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9872289/DAN-HODGES-Boris-decide-hes-Jeremy-Clarkson-Greta-Thunberg.html
    Alok wossname clearly positioning himself for his moment in the sun. You can back him for a tenner at 100 for next tory leader on bf, or lay him at 1000.
    Off topic.

A Prime Minister with sub-Johnson common sense. I thought we'd passed that moment with the demise of Corbyn.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

This week @Keir_Starmer said he opposed the Cambo oil field, west of Shetland

@BorisJohnson said the contracts could not be torn up

@NicolaSturgeon does not appear to have made up her mind:

https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1424271273534922753?s=20

The tories are somewhere between stages 3 and 4 on the Climate Change Denial process.
    1. There's no climate change
    2. There's climate change but humans aren't causing it.
    3. There's climate change, humans are causing it but we can fix it with 𝙏𝙀𝘾𝙃𝙉𝙊𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙔
    4. We're all fucked.
    If 4 is true then there's no point in trying to fix anything.

And XR among others also go on about fixing things with new technology, though they are less optimistic about it. So I suspect you are talking bollocks.
    @Dura_Ace is surely just saying where he thinks the Tories are on this. And I think he's right.
    No he isnt 'just' saying that.

He described it as 'the climate change denial process'. Yes he said where he thinks the Tories are on it, but in a way which also puts anyone who talks about technology to fix things also in that process.

As lots of non deniers also do that, the 'denial process' identifier is clearly nonsense.

It's not insightful or edgy, its moronic. If he meant to say the Tories aren't doing enough or are pretending to believe in climate change through a false stance on focusing on technology, hed have said so.

He didn't. He said that was stage 3 of the process, and that the Tories are at that point. But evidently anyone could be on that process.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The tories are somewhere between stages 3 and 4 on the Climate Change Denial process.
    3. There's climate change, humans are causing it but we can fix it with 𝙏𝙀𝘾𝙃𝙉𝙊𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙔
    4. We're all fucked.
    So Starmer is ready to abandon the Scottish oil industry, Sturgeon is moving towards doing so too and only Boris is ready to give the oil field the go ahead
    Its not just the Scottish oil industry. Grangemouth is going to run out of feedstock for its production unless new sources are developed. We have a significant number of jobs downstream from the oil production itself and they are at risk.
    Do you think we can just go on using oil forever?
    No, because it will run out.

Another question.

Can we manage without it at this moment?

Also no, because that would lead to mass starvation.

What's the solution?

Find a way to wean ourselves off it as fast as possible. Progress is being made. It could be made faster, of course.

But until that time, I would personally rather oil came from under the North Sea than from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Brunei, Russia or Venezuela.

Spot the common theme there...
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    If 4 is true then there's no point in trying to fix anything.

And XR among others also go on about fixing things with new technology, though they are less optimistic about it. So I suspect you are talking bollocks.
    People always talk about ‘new technology’ but never say what it is.

New technology needs developing. Validating. Proving out and scaling.

Absolutely we need to transition from fossil fuels and are doing so. My only scepticism is around replacing gas boilers with ground and air source heat pumps. They are crap and expensive. Hydrogen boilers will be the way to go once developed.
    Agreed people can put too much hope on vague technological development as a saving grace. It's not always a realistic option.

Doesn't make the teenage style suggestion less bollocks though, since people who are very much not climate change deniers talk up the need.
    I don’t think anyone needs to listen to to the few deniers there still are. That argument is lost. The discussion is how we transition. But people always say the solution is technology without specifying what that is or how it can be developed/brought to market.

Technology is a way to get out of this, it is part of the solution. But whatever technology gives us it needs to be rolled out globally
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Boris can't decide if he wants to be the new Greta Thurnberg or the new Jeremy Clarkson. COP 26 is shaping up to be a fiasco for the Government
    > Mail On Sunday > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9872289/DAN-HODGES-Boris-decide-hes-Jeremy-Clarkson-Greta-Thunberg.html
    Vote Blue, Go Green may be laudable but as Cameron discovered in 2010 it doesn't deliver a Tory majority.

The RedWall and indeed much of Scotland like Aberdeen and Shetland is much keener on coal and oil, so a balance has to be struck
    So alright to destroy the planet as long as we get a Tory majority?
    You can still transition gradually to renewables and nuclear without abandoning those who work in the oil industry

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    Its not just the Scottish oil industry. Grangemouth is going to run out of feedstock for its production unless new sources are developed. We have a significant number of jobs downstream from the oil production itself and they are at risk.
    No one is suggesting we can but you cannot transition overnight.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Vote Blue, Go Green may be laudable but as Cameron discovered in 2010 it doesn't deliver a Tory majority.

The RedWall and indeed much of Scotland like Aberdeen and Shetland is much keener on coal and oil, so a balance has to be struck
    Shame he just slagged off coal mines then, isn't it?
    I have already said that was electorally inadvisable, seems he has learnt his lesson and is now sticking by the oil industry
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Seal, when we played hockey it was indoors. Football was usually outside...
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    MrEd said:

Leon said:

Politics aside, achieving the same medal total as we did in London, after one of the nastier plagues in the world, in the heat and foreign-ness of Tokyo, is really quite something. Arguably better than Rio

My, how times change:
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

I don't often agree with Leon, but last night I watched the 7:30pm episode of the BBC olympics with Kathy Grainger as guest. I remember her in 2012 being distraught at only winning a silver in her double sculls, only Gold is worth it she said then, and she duely achieved it in 2016. That was the attitude which won the day. Not just in rowing, but cycling as well. The first 20mins of the show was about Helen Glover and partner missing out on a bronze. I swear it was the worst rubbish I ever heard, excuses, weepy backstory and the rest. I really think the BBC has turned into a version of X Factor! Absolute rubbish, and worst of all, Grainger was part of this rubbish. We have turned into a country of British Plucky losers again.

I think that's overdramatizing the situation. They made a particular fuss of Helen Glover because she came back after having kiddies, gave it a good go, and nearly came away with something. More generally, the reviews of the performance of the rowing squad have not been gushing, and questions have been asked.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, the contingents from some other disciplines are doing quite well. It's not exactly an unremitting tale of woe, or of vast numbers of 'if only there were a tin medal for fourth' regrets.

At the end of this Games I anticipate that the British team will be some way short of its performance in Rio, and that there will be some tutting (especially if the track cyclists also win a lot less than in recent times,) but that's not the end of the world. If things improve again in Paris then all will be well; if they don't then people will start to grumble about why we're not spending some of that lottery money on children's hospitals or something instead.
    Team GB are still slightly ahead of where they were at the same stage last time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57836709
    Though, Team GB isn't going to win many in athletics....I think they only have 2-3 realistic chances in individual events, which none are gold medal favourites. Could quite easily end up with just 1 individual medal and perhaps 1 relay.
    It was seven medals last time, with just two golds (thanks Mo Farah); I doubt we'll be far short of that this time.
    Where are the 7 coming from? Katarina Johnson-Thompson and Dina Asher Smith are the only two I can think of. Lots of events, no Team GB even got the qualifying time.
    I suspect it will be four or five. Jemma Reekie, one or two of the relay teams to add to your list. I could well be wrong - that's the beauty of live sport.
    I think that is still very optimistic.

A thing to also consider in this debate. Swimming many events Team GB have finalists, sometimes 2 in the final, and so many where the swimmer is ranked top 3 in the world. The rowing while disappointing, but was there were i think 5 4ths places ...

The athletics, in most events now Team GB don't even really have one competitive athelete who is top 3-4-5 in the world. And many don't even have a single competitor who could make the qualifying mark.

Difficult to win medals if you have a team where most of the competitors don't even have a shot at it.
    Yes, I think we will tail off badly in this Olympics and end up with 40-45 medals. We will likely be beaten by Australia and probably 3rd or 4th in Europe behind Fake Russia and maybe Germany or Italy or both

Maybe around 9th in the overall table at the end? Not ignoble, but quite a fall from Rio and London
    To be fair to @Leon , @Benpointer , his two statements are not necessarily contradictory. You could have feared for Team GB's performance and then been delighted when they surpassed expectations.

Also, just to put out, 65 is a great total when we lost several of our Gold medal hopes (KJT, shooting, arguably the team show jumping) and several other medal hopes (eg Dinah Ashe-Smith) to injury plus had others hit by bad luck (Laura Kenny in the Omnium, Zhandel Hughes). While all teams have their injuries etc, I don't think any team was impacted so much by injuries and bad luck when it came to medal prospects.
    I certainly agree with you on it being a great show.

Re @Leon, I was pulling his leg of course. He shares his mood swings willingly on here and they add to the interest fo the site.

Predicting sporting outcomes is hard but as soon at I saw his 'prediction' that Team GB would come 9th in the medal table it was nailed on that we'd do well!
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,442
    Scott_xP said:

🚨 EXC w/@hzeffman

Tory donor paid £100,000 for breakfast with Boris Johnson in "cash for access" scheme

Mohamed Amersi is also owed a magic show by Penny Mordaunt (£15k)

Now he's in spat with party, which won't say if they'll deliver or return the £
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dbe5051a-f78f-11eb-a52c-53a486091545?shareToken=bdded28636226e686efc56e044211996

Another with Putin links. It is bizarre almost no-one seems to care about who is funding our politicians. They are not even bothering to hide it, with western politics so partisan there is no longer a need to do so.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    Just like coal mines in S Wales, then.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    Yes, but we will use it for far fewer things. I remember a science fiction writer about 20 years ago having one of his characters expressing incredulity that something as useful and valuable as oil was once burnt to produce energy.

We need to switch to electric vehicles to clean the air in our cities as well as reduce our carbon footprint. We need to continue the drive to reduce plastic waste. We need to continue our drive to produce more renewable energy. We need to do far, far more to help developing countries do the same. But we will need oil for a very long time.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited August 2021
    His colleagues in government still think Johnson is ambitious for radical thinking. He recently sat the cabinet down and gave them a lecture about being ambitious. One minister who was there paraphrases it as: “He said, you guys are incredibly powerful but sometimes you don’t realise how powerful you are because it’s easy to get boxed in by the confines of the Whitehall machine. Now you’ve got the power. Let’s get out and use it. Climate change was one of the things he listed and big infrastructure projects.”

If he’s relying on his ministers to come up with the big ideas, he needs to lecture them some more. And work out how to deal with one of the biggest blockages that he didn’t think to mention when talking about politicians being “boxed in”: the Treasury.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/08/britain-needs-big-ideas-for-big-problems-but-its-leaders-do-not-appear-to-have-any
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    TERF.
    Trans-exclusionary radical feminist?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

We had football in the Autumn, hockey after Christmas, both outside. After the third form we also had the option of rugby but it was very much an afterthought but it did allow me to play for the school.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Interesting to work out which country has done WORST at these Olympics, taking into account gdp, gdp per capita, and population.

I think it might be Mexico. Vast population: 127m. Medium income with some high income areas

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Is wondering about that sort of thing what overdoing the chilli does for you? Personally I try to look for people's successes....... bright side and all that.
    Congrats to Fiji; two rugby sevens medals. Maybe the women will win gold next time.

It is not enough for BritScotnats to succeed. Others must fail.
    The problem is, that still works.

No question now, as to what was melting and changing. They looked from pig to man, and man to pig, and pig to man again: but already it was impossible to tell which was which.
    Careful, you’ll have the ‘editing someone’s post is a DISGRACE’ Taliban after you. Shame it resulted in one of the most clichéd memes going.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    TERF.
    Yes. Sorry, lame gag.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    No, because it will run out.

Another question.

Can we manage without it at this moment?

Also no, because that would lead to mass starvation.

What's the solution?

Find a way to wean ourselves off it as fast as possible. Progress is being made. It could be made faster, of course.

But until that time, I would personally rather oil came from under the North Sea than from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Brunei, Russia or Venezuela.

Spot the common theme there...
    They're all crap at the Olympics? Oh, sorry, wrong thread.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

Leon said:

Politics aside, achieving the same medal total as we did in London, after one of the nastier plagues in the world, in the heat and foreign-ness of Tokyo, is really quite something. Arguably better than Rio

My, how times change:
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

I don't often agree with Leon, but last night I watched the 7:30pm episode of the BBC olympics with Kathy Grainger as guest. I remember her in 2012 being distraught at only winning a silver in her double sculls, only Gold is worth it she said then, and she duely achieved it in 2016. That was the attitude which won the day. Not just in rowing, but cycling as well. The first 20mins of the show was about Helen Glover and partner missing out on a bronze. I swear it was the worst rubbish I ever heard, excuses, weepy backstory and the rest. I really think the BBC has turned into a version of X Factor! Absolute rubbish, and worst of all, Grainger was part of this rubbish. We have turned into a country of British Plucky losers again.

I think that's overdramatizing the situation. They made a particular fuss of Helen Glover because she came back after having kiddies, gave it a good go, and nearly came away with something. More generally, the reviews of the performance of the rowing squad have not been gushing, and questions have been asked.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, the contingents from some other disciplines are doing quite well. It's not exactly an unremitting tale of woe, or of vast numbers of 'if only there were a tin medal for fourth' regrets.

At the end of this Games I anticipate that the British team will be some way short of its performance in Rio, and that there will be some tutting (especially if the track cyclists also win a lot less than in recent times,) but that's not the end of the world. If things improve again in Paris then all will be well; if they don't then people will start to grumble about why we're not spending some of that lottery money on children's hospitals or something instead.
    Team GB are still slightly ahead of where they were at the same stage last time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57836709
    Though, Team GB isn't going to win many in athletics....I think they only have 2-3 realistic chances in individual events, which none are gold medal favourites. Could quite easily end up with just 1 individual medal and perhaps 1 relay.
    It was seven medals last time, with just two golds (thanks Mo Farah); I doubt we'll be far short of that this time.
    Where are the 7 coming from? Katarina Johnson-Thompson and Dina Asher Smith are the only two I can think of. Lots of events, no Team GB even got the qualifying time.
    I suspect it will be four or five. Jemma Reekie, one or two of the relay teams to add to your list. I could well be wrong - that's the beauty of live sport.
    I think that is still very optimistic.

A thing to also consider in this debate. Swimming many events Team GB have finalists, sometimes 2 in the final, and so many where the swimmer is ranked top 3 in the world. The rowing while disappointing, but was there were i think 5 4ths places ...

The athletics, in most events now Team GB don't even really have one competitive athelete who is top 3-4-5 in the world. And many don't even have a single competitor who could make the qualifying mark.

Difficult to win medals if you have a team where most of the competitors don't even have a shot at it.
    Yes, I think we will tail off badly in this Olympics and end up with 40-45 medals. We will likely be beaten by Australia and probably 3rd or 4th in Europe behind Fake Russia and maybe Germany or Italy or both

Maybe around 9th in the overall table at the end? Not ignoble, but quite a fall from Rio and London
    To be fair to @Leon , @Benpointer , his two statements are not necessarily contradictory. You could have feared for Team GB's performance and then been delighted when they surpassed expectations.

Also, just to put out, 65 is a great total when we lost several of our Gold medal hopes (KJT, shooting, arguably the team show jumping) and several other medal hopes (eg Dinah Ashe-Smith) to injury plus had others hit by bad luck (Laura Kenny in the Omnium, Zhandel Hughes). While all teams have their injuries etc, I don't think any team was impacted so much by injuries and bad luck when it came to medal prospects.
    I certainly agree with you on it being a great show.

Re @Leon, I was pulling his leg of course. He shares his mood swings willingly on here and they add to the interest fo the site.

Predicting sporting outcomes is hard but as soon at I saw his 'prediction' that Team GB would come 9th in the medal table it was nailed on that we'd do well!
    Haha, that is slightly harsh :)
    Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    How does 'not opening up a new oilfield' equate to 'transitioning overnight'
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    TERF.
    Yes. Sorry, lame gag.
    Ah yes. Sorry I'm being a bit slow this morning :-)

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    TERF.
    Yes. Sorry, lame gag.
    Happens to the best of us!
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

We had football in the Autumn, hockey after Christmas, both outside. After the third form we also had the option of rugby but it was very much an afterthought but it did allow me to play for the school.
    We had compulsory rugby up until the VIth, when there was the option of nothing or hockey. I took up the hockey option. One outstanding memory is of the annual match against the girls school next door when I, as a defender, had to mark my then girl-friend who was a forward. At one point we fell over each other to ribald merriment from the spectators.

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    That’s some contortion there.
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    TERF.
    Perhaps that’s the solution to make all happy. The Oil should identify as environmentally friendly and carbon neutral.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Weather in Nottingham pretty disappointing. Raining and very heavy cloud.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

No question now, as to what was melting and changing. They looked from pig to man, and man to pig, and pig to man again: but already it was impossible to tell which was which.
    Careful, you’ll have the ‘editing someone’s post is a DISGRACE’ Taliban after you. Shame it resulted in one of the most clichéd memes going.
    What, that rabid Nats are ultimately all the same? That's a fact, not a cliche.

DougSeal said:

We had compulsory rugby up until the VIth, when there was the option of nothing or hockey. I took up the hockey option. One outstanding memory is of the annual match against the girls school next door when I, as a defender, had to mark my then girl-friend who was a forward. At one point we fell over each other to ribald merriment from the spectators.
    Did they shout 'come off' instead of 'come on?'
    Andy_JS said:

In spite of abysmal forecasts for the bleak north east County Durham over the weekend it’s been pretty decent and this morning is most pleasant.
    edited August 2021
    Andy_JS said:

In what way is that disappointing? We don't want lots of play and if we do get any we want the ball to be hooping round corners.

Edit - if, however, you are masochistic enough to want a full day's play I should tell you that I am roughly east of Nottingham and this weather, moving west to east, is now moderate cloud cover, a strong breeze and dry.
    Andy_JS said:

Oh dear. That's not good for the cricket; shame as the prospects for a entertaining day were high.

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    If we don't open up a new oilfield that is economically viable then what is the alternative?

That we transition overnight to not require that oil?

Or that we import the oil instead, at a greater economic cost, greater environmental cost, and loss of jobs and opportunity, with more emissions as a result due to transportation of the oil from elsewhere to here?
    The same also applies to the coking mine in Cumbria. Stupid gesture politics seems to matter more than reality.
    edited August 2021
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Did they shout 'come off' instead of 'come on?'
    TBH, can't recall. It was a very, very long time ago. And almost it was in another country and besides the wench is dead. (I think).
    Hundreds of guests attend Obama's 'scaled back' 60th birthday party in Martha's Vineyard including Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Beyonce and Jay-Z and with performances by John Legend and Alicia Keys.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9872643/No-fly-zone-set-Obamas-12M-Marthas-Vineyard-mansion-Alicia-Keys-sing-Happy-Birthday.html
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    DougSeal said:

EU countries win all three medals in men’s handball. In Dickson’s brave new world would that be the EU A, B, and C teams or can we just have done with this nonsense of aggregating medals amongst groups of countries?

Yet you are happy to do it for GB, more faces than the town clock.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

The one with the bloke looking over his shoulder whistling at the attractive lass while his girlfriend looks upset?
    Taz said:

Until we are able to transition away from plastics we are still going to need oil even if it is not for ‘fossil fuels’
    As ever they will milk Scotland, no chance of the greedy bastards stopping it.
    maaarsh said:

Off topic, but last night one of the ScotNit bores was excitedly noting that Sweden easily outperformed 'team Boris' at the Olympics per capita.

I was reading on a device I couldn't respond on, but did think it was a stupid argument given they can field a full teasm rather than in proportion to population.

Now I've looked at the final medal table it's even more daft as we've crushed Sweden per capita.

Better a bore than an obnoxious pious arseh*le
    edited August 2021
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

EU countries win all three medals in men’s handball. In Dickson’s brave new world would that be the EU A, B, and C teams or can we just have done with this nonsense of aggregating medals amongst groups of countries?

You absolute arse. No, I don’t and, in any event, there is only one team from GB, as you keep complaining. You are really as thick as mince aren’t you? An absolute joke of a poster. Swing on here, insult people, don’t bother to read their posts or take note of what they mean. You should take a long look at yourself you shower of a man.

Bellend. Absolute bellend.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Until we are able to transition away from plastics we are still going to need oil even if it is not for ‘fossil fuels’
    Similarly, until we find a way of making steel without it we will still need coking coal.

That mine in Cumbria....
    Not quite comparable, since the economic case for that depends on its operating past 2050, I think, and most of its production would be exported.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    No harm for Scotland David, it just means more of our money flowing south.
    MrEd said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

You know what, you can have pride in what the Team has done without automatically become a "BritNat". Grow up.
    Jingoistic halfwitted horse's arses pontificating as ever. Go iron your Butcher's apron underpants.
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

You absolute arse. No, I don’t and, in any event, there is only one team from GB, as you keep complaining. You are really as thick as mince aren’t you? An absolute joke of a poster. Swing on here, insult people, don’t bother to read their posts or take note of what they mean. You should take a long look at yourself you shower of a man.

Can we take it you're not one of Malc's fans?
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

That's a rant almost worthy of the great man himself.
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

EXC: The NHS chairman wasted time with 48hrs until the first lockdown speaking to Greensill Capital + agreeing to give it glowing reference

Tory peer Lord Prior had secret ties to disgraced firm

Email show he urged NHS leaders to adopt its payday scheme
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b95c6572-f79b-11eb-a52c-53a486091545?shareToken=14e4238752a54311647c5c3df1010569 https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1424276566889074689/photo/1

Crikey, everyone’s favourite cut n paste spammer has woken up.
    You Tories get upset when you see the truth printed, froth on loser.

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

You could say that.

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Most especially if they can tag it to France
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Did we work out which one of these guys he is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_3hsCDp7k
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

That's a rant almost worthy of the great man himself.
    Always learning.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

BritNats are the most obnoxious creeps on here.
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

EXC: The NHS chairman wasted time with 48hrs until the first lockdown speaking to Greensill Capital + agreeing to give it glowing reference

Tory peer Lord Prior had secret ties to disgraced firm

Email show he urged NHS leaders to adopt its payday scheme
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b95c6572-f79b-11eb-a52c-53a486091545?shareToken=14e4238752a54311647c5c3df1010569 https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1424276566889074689/photo/1

Crikey, everyone’s favourite cut n paste spammer has woken up.
    You Tories get upset when you see the truth printed, froth on loser.
    I’ve voted labour at every GE since 1987. But, yeah, I’m obviously a Tory.

Scott n paste offers no commentary or discussion or insight. Just endless spamming of twitter and newspaper articles about BoZo.
    Jeezo, bisexuality hits The Archers. I sense we are a bawhair (snigger) from a trans character.
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

The one to the right of the piper?
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

You halfwitted cretinous turd of a person, I know as soon as you have posted it will be pompous tanktop Britnat windbaggery crap. Go and have aeronautical sexual intercourse with a rolling doughnut you wimpy little whiner.

ie Go take a Flying F****
  • HYUFD said:

Hundreds of guests attend Obama's 'scaled back' 60th birthday party in Martha's Vineyard including Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Beyonce and Jay-Z and with performances by John Legend and Alicia Keys.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9872643/No-fly-zone-set-Obamas-12M-Marthas-Vineyard-mansion-Alicia-Keys-sing-Happy-Birthday.html

Lets hope it doesn't turn into a super spreader event....
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

You halfwitted cretinous turd of a person, I know as soon as you have posted it will be pompous tanktop Britnat windbaggery crap. Go and have aeronautical sexual intercourse with a rolling doughnut you wimpy little whiner.
    If insulting were an Olympic sport.......
  • malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

No you muppet, GB is a single country.

It wouldn't be if Scots weren't too frit to leave the country in 2014. But they were.
    DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

4. We're all fucked.
    TERF.
    Yes. Sorry, lame gag.
    Happens to the best of us!
    I think I just proved that! ;-)
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

“Britnat” - you see, you know nothing of me because you don’t read my posts you brain dead little turd, sitting in his pyjamas sniggering at the insults he can cleverly post. Tell me, brains trust, how am I a “Britnat”? Point to a post where I have advocated a nationalist or even pro-Union position. You can’t because, in truth, you don’t read anything. You just come on here to spill your bile. If you had another brain cell it would be lonely.
  • ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Hate to break it to you Malc, but they really aren't. You, TUD and Stuart have gone galumphing past them.

I'm puzzled as to why, but the three of you - and not all nationalist posters suffer from it - seem to be becoming more strident and hysterical in recent weeks. TUD always had an edge, and got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made or accused people of being drunks. Stuart, of course, always accused everyone of not knowing Scotland, as befits our poster from Sweden. And you of course always insulted everyone with invention and flair.

But just recently, TUD has entirely given up engaging with facts or providing reasoned arguments, Stuart has started to resemble the Russian bots who got the boot and you've started condoning racism against posters you don't like.

Which seems - well, odd.

I was wondering why. Is it frustration that the SNP are incapable of given you what you want? Embarrassment at the way Salmond and Sturgeon have been knocking lumps out of each other (not very successfully in Salmond's case)? Or just a desire to make the English hate you so much that they will kick Scotland out of the union just to shut you all up?

It's especially odd as it doesn't seem to have affected Carnyx or Alistair, who are still people you can have a perfectly reasonable conversation with.
    BiB: The Blackford Method.
    edited August 2021

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

It wouldn't be if Scots weren't too frit to leave the country in 2014. But they were.
    Baby Huey joins the fray , Britnat wimp of the year winner. You thick stupid moronic twattish dumb ass, how do you ever extract yourself from Bozo's butt long enough to print the drivel you put on here.
    Jessie boy of the century does not come into it , get back to knitting and brown nosing and don't try to play with big boys. You and Dugless would make a right pair of fannies.
    PS : USA ones at that

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Hate to break it to you Malc, but they really aren't. You, TUD and Stuart have gone galumphing past them.

I'm puzzled as to why, but the three of you - and not all nationalist posters suffer from it - seem to be becoming more strident and hysterical in recent weeks. TUD always had an edge, and got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made or accused people of being drunks. Stuart, of course, always accused everyone of not knowing Scotland, as befits our poster from Sweden. And you of course always insulted everyone with invention and flair.

But just recently, TUD has entirely given up engaging with facts or providing reasoned arguments, Stuart has started to resemble the Russian bots who got the boot and you've started condoning racism against posters you don't like.

Which seems - well, odd.

I was wondering why. Is it frustration that the SNP are incapable of given you what you want? Embarrassment at the way Salmond and Sturgeon have been knocking lumps out of each other (not very successfully in Salmond's case)? Or just a desire to make the English hate you so much that they will kick Scotland out of the union just to shut you all up?

It's especially odd as it doesn't seem to have affected Carnyx or Alistair, who are still people you can have a perfectly reasonable conversation with.
    Not having to have anything to do with or pay the slightest attention to the egregious Blackford is possibly the best argument I have heard for Scottish indpendence.

Sadly, it only works from an English perspective.
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Gotta be Big Peat, shirley?
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,151
    Usual top comedy being provided by the ScotNats on here! 😊😊😊
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Baby Huey joins the fray , Britnat wimp of the year winner. You thick stupid moronic twattish dumb ass, how do you ever extract yourself from Bozo's butt long enough to print the drivel you put on here.
    Jessie boy of the century does not come into it , get back to knitting and brown nosing and don't try to play with big boys. You and Dugless would make a right pair of fannies.
    Can someone show me a recent post where this windbag hasn’t ad hominem insulted someone?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021
    MrEd said:

Just following on from a topic raised last night, I don't often disagree with @FrancisUrquhart and @MaxPB but I'd question the view that taking money from the high-medal scoring sports and putting it in other areas is necessarily a bad thing. for several reasons:

1. The obvious point - money does not always guarantee success (rowing);

2. The heavily invested sports may be benefiting from a "slingshot" effect where enough success has been generated to keep them going at a strong level. The (poor) analogy I would use is building a factory: high capex at the start but, once done, spend becomes about maintenance, repairs and upgrades. There is no need for huge investments;

3. Looking ahead. It is a long process from investment to training to medal winners. I suspect Team GB is looking ahead. Yes, the likes of rowing produce many medals now but what about in 2-3 Olympics' time? I suspect BMX, for example, will have more medal categories added, as will some of the other events. The Games evolve;

4. Public interest. Again, you need to somewhat keep people aligned with what you do if you are asking them for lottery money. Some of the events may seem "esoteric" but they might be very popular with underprivileged areas of society, where there could be medal hopes.

That wasn't quite my argument....I actually said I can see the argument about the feedback loop, that can negatively effect some sports.

My point was more along the lines of Team GB has been incredibly successful over the past 20 years by carefully targetting sports that can return medals, in particular sports that we can leverage things like technological advantage over (Jason Kenny et al. had special bikes again, far more advanced than anybody else).

But the next funding round we are taking money away from sports that do regularly produce many many medals and putting them into sports that never in my lifetime will ( or highly unlikely to). Basketball is a huge waste of money, as it will just go on paying the insurance premiums for NBA ringers. Surfing, we aren't winning in that, and there is 2 medals for it total. Volleyball, again UK has no pedigree in it.

And this money isn't for widening participation. There are separate pots of money for that. This is for funding elite athletes to focus solely on being the best in the world and winning Olympic / World Championship medals.
    edited August 2021

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

This endless reciprocal slanging match between ScotNats and anti-ScotNats is very tedious, like seeing two gangs of drunks shouting in a bar. Most of us will worry about it when IndyRef2 comes round - in the meantime, give it a rest, eh?
    But @DougSeal isn't an anti-Scot Nat.

That's one of the many things that's puzzling me about it.

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

This endless reciprocal slanging match between ScotNats and anti-ScotNats is very tedious, like seeing two gangs of drunks shouting in a bar. Most of us will worry about it when IndyRef2 comes round - in the meantime, give it a rest, eh?
    I’m not anti Scot Nat. I’m marginally in favour of Scottish Independence (albeit with some reservations) and Carnix and Alistair are some of the most thoughtful posters on here. I am, however, anti-Malc and make no apologies for it.

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Given that IndyRef2 is unlikely to occur before 2050 if at all this seems a reasonable view 👍
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Which seems - well, odd.

You obviously never read your own posts, if TUD has given up it is down to the cretinous Britnat's on here who constantly denigrate Scotland yet have romantic views of the Tories. Ignorance breeds contempt and given you think you are so intelligent , put that in your pipe smoke it and contemplate a bit. You give yourself away with your last sentence, your colonialism shines through in your overbearing smugness that it is England that will kick us out and that we are just prisoners to be dealt with as you wish.
    You should think about the posting on here , you may learn a few things, we certainly have.

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Given that IndyRef2 is unlikely to occur before 2050 if at all this seems a reasonable view 👍
    Whooaaah - that's asking for it...
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

I think Malc's just having a bad day. Time of the month or something.

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

reciprocal ?

Where’s the level of bile and sheer hatred from the anti nats to compare to that you get from Malcolm ?

Don’t make out this is two sides equally at fault here.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Which seems - well, odd.

You obviously never read your own posts, if TUD has given up it is down to the cretinous Britnat's on here who constantly denigrate Scotland yet have romantic views of the Tories. Ignorance breeds contempt and given you think you are so intelligent , put that in your pipe smoke it and contemplate a bit. You give yourself away with your last sentence, your colonialism shines through in your overbearing smugness that it is England that will kick us out and that we are just prisoners to be dealt with as you wish.
    You should think about the posting on here , you may learn a few things, we certainly have.
    Malc - a gentle reminder that I am not English.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Which seems - well, odd.

Not having to have anything to do with or pay the slightest attention to the egregious Blackford is possibly the best argument I have heard for Scottish indpendence.

Sadly, it only works from an English perspective.
    He should be left down there among the other useless windbags
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited August 2021
    The ScotNats and the tories should have it out with each other in a CS:GO 4 vs 4 match.

Unless the tories can draft Topping in they would get fucked.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

More than that I’m anti-Union. The Union of 1707 doesn’t work anymore. I think the source of @malcolmg ‘s animus is my nationality. English equals Britnat. He can’t be arsed to read or understand.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Which seems - well, odd.

He doesn’t do facts. I’m not a Tory but he accused me of being one.

He just seems to live in a little world of seething resentment. Sadly this forum is his outlet.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    ydoethur said:

Whatever. If people shout I stop trying to work out what they mean.
    edited August 2021
    BBC say; Start at Nottingham delayed, due to rain.

As is Durham vs Essex.
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

“Britnat” - you see, you know nothing of me because you don’t read my posts you brain dead little turd, sitting in his pyjamas sniggering at the insults he can cleverly post. Tell me, brains trust, how am I a “Britnat”? Point to a post where I have advocated a nationalist or even pro-Union position. You can’t because, in truth, you don’t read anything. You just come on here to spill your bile. If you had another brain cell it would be lonely.
    Is your nightie bunched up your butt, pansy potter and causing you to be nasty to the poor little Scottish boy. You big meanie you.
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

More than that I’m anti-Union. The Union of 1707 doesn’t work anymore. I think the source of @malcolmg ‘s animus is my nationality. English equals Britnat. He can’t be arsed to read or understand.
    I don’t know whether he personally is anti English rather than anti union but there is an element in Scottish nationalism, same with welsh nationalism, which is thinly disguised anti English prejudice.
    Olympics: my overall view is that GB did really well, much better than I expected!

Top 4 and maintaining level of medals won compared with 2016 and 2012 is excellent.

The future: let's transfer the money from public school rowing to street working class sports like BMX and skateboarding 😊

BBC say; Start at Nottingham delayed, due to rain

We want around 40 overs in damp conditions.

Force the Indians to go for their shots in swinging conditions.

Don't think we'll lose that much though. It would be about an hour to dry the outfield if the weather's similar to here and then it would be good batting conditions.
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Is your nightie bunched up your butt, pansy potter and causing you to be nasty to the poor little Scottish boy. You big meanie you.
    You’re embarrassing yourself. Go back to bed.
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Can someone show me a recent post where this windbag hasn’t ad hominem insulted someone?
    Lazy git, go read the posts yourself, you have perfectly proved my point. You come on write some absolute bollox on Scotland , then you admit you have not read posts and need someone to explain to you what the topic is, get a life.
    ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

Can you point me to the occasion or occasions when I got defensive about people being accused of being drunks? I'd hate to think that you'd gone off on one of your pompous pronouncements based on a misapprehension (not for the first time).
    Taz said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

I don’t know whether he personally is anti English rather than anti union but there is an element in Scottish nationalism, same with welsh nationalism, which is thinly disguised anti English prejudice.
    Have you actually come across thinly disguised anti-English prejudice among Welsh Nationalists?

I'm amazed. In my experience as a former Plaid activist it's usually absolutely transparent.

People who didn't know me used to direct it at me (because I speak English without a Welsh accent) until I floored them by replying in Welsh. The looks on their faces were brilliant...
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Which seems - well, odd.

He just seems to live in a little world of seething resentment. Sadly this forum is his outlet.
    I am well aware and it does not mean you are not a BritNat,
    Taz said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

To be fair, in both cases there's justification. Probably more in Wales since unquestionably it was conquered. No semi-voluntary Act of Union there.
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

FOUR BRONZE MEDALS

Which seems - well, odd.

Sadly you are on it , adding the square root of nothing.
    edited August 2021

ydoethur said:

Which seems - well, odd.

Can you point me to the occasion or occasions when I got defensive about people being accused of being drunks? I'd hate to think that you'd gone off on one of your pompous pronouncements based on a misapprehension (not for the first time).
    That's the implication of your 'Scotch expert' tag.

It may not be deliberate, of course.

Edit - btw, there should be a comma there. 'got very defensive when anyone pointed out 'mistakes' the SNP had made, or accused people of being drunks.'

I blame autocorrect...
This discussion has been closed.