Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Biden isn’t going anywhere – Another betting angle – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Daly well beaten in the end.

The Chinese were on their game todày
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Mr. 86, as a child, I was a Schumacher fan.

Even after Adelaide? And Jerez?
  • ydoethur said:

Good morning from LNER. Pingdemic still creating staffing issues. Happily the rules do not apply to Liar so we can all benefit from his ministrations.

You work for the London and North Eastern Railway?
    How many employees worked for British Rail?

About half of them.

Thank you very much, I'm here all week. Don't forget to try the snoek.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Good morning from LNER. Pingdemic still creating staffing issues. Happily the rules do not apply to Liar so we can all benefit from his ministrations.

Get a life
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. 86, can't remember the detail, to be honest.

But I liked that he stretched (ahem) the rules.

Sandpit said:

So they have Chris Hoy sticking stickers, rather than the actual velodrome coverage?

Its absolutely pathetic and nothing to do with their restricted coverage deal. Could you imagine Sky Sport saying well we aren't going to show you live coverage of the Ashes, here is Naaser doing throw downs in the nets instead.
    Hmm I'm on a continual stream. They're in a bit of downtime
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

So they have Chris Hoy sticking stickers, rather than the actual velodrome coverage?

Its absolutely pathetic and nothing to do with their restricted coverage deal. Could you imagine Sky Sport saying well we aren't going to show you live coverage of the Ashes, here is Naaser doing throw downs in the nets instead.
    On the BBC iplayer
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,757

Sandpit said:

Well, actually, yes, if I’m honest.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    That Kazakh cyclist took one hell of a hit.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Another scoop from @matt_dathan - Liz Truss is currently on holiday in Barbados

She's the only Cabinet minister that we're aware of who has braved a foreign holiday this year

'She kept that quiet,' one friend said

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1423911281292103684
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Disaster in Men's Kerin...Team GB rider Carin looks like might be being thrown out and Kenny doesn't have it.

I feel a bit for Jason. He won three golds in Rio and no one cared. Hoy did that in Beijing and won SPoTY.
    After 2008 it became expected.
    Indeed. Peaty and Whitlock should probably be favourites for SPoTY as they have defended titles but it actually counts against them. Pinsent should have won in 2004 in my opinion, but Holmes’s wins were unexpected (and on the track in prime time), so she won.
    Not to mention perhaps the most appalling choice ever - Damon Hill beating Steve Redgrave in 1996.
    I was a big Hill fan so was happy he won it, but it probably should have gone to Redgrave. I reckon it motivated Redgrave to stay on for Sydney.

Interesting thing is that other than a couple of wins at the start, F1 teams never win team of the year. Williams really ought to have won it a few times in the 1990s.
    Damon Hill won it TWICE.

He had already won it in 1994.

1997 was also a shocker - Greg Rusedski first with Tim Henman second.

When people are doing better in SPOTY than they do in their own sport then something is very wrong.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

The vote swing in the Scottish byelection in Livingston was interesting.

Not the vote swing from 2017 but from 2012:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

That's not tactical voting as its a traditional SLAB area and even in 2017 SLAB were ahead of SCON.

Now we know that SLAB have problems but I'll suggest that Scots found the Cameron-Osborne gang detestable in a way they no longer do.

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

That's not tactical voting as its a traditional SLAB area and even in 2017 SLAB were ahead of SCON.

Now we know that SLAB have problems but I'll suggest that Scots found the Cameron-Osborne gang detestable in a way they no longer do.

mental assumption
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Well, actually, yes, if I’m honest.
    They used to show the Masters 2 hrs behind actual time iirc..
    Mr. Richard, Rusedski reached the US Open final that year.
  • Great ride by Jason Kenny.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

On the BBC iplayer
    Actually as much as I am enjoying the cycling is nothing else going on in the entire games ?
    Don't need two channels on it...

Sandpit said:

I’m not going to bet on him now, but I wonder if Galal Yafai might actually be an outside chance for SPoTY if he gets nominated? He’s going to have a lot of support.

He's got the Birmingham car-worker vote sewn up!
    Who is he
  • Where did that come from for Kenny....the first round he had no legs at all.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9870519/Archbishop-York-criticises-London-metropolitan-elite-patronising-people-proud-English.html

The CoE has come out against the 'Rogers' of this parish! Archbishop of york has finally WOKEn up!
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Looking at the front pages, are we thinking that Laura Kenny might be the SPoTY favourite from the Olympics? Or maybe Tom Daley if he wins the gold this morning?

Too early to say. Galal Yafai is not even quoted on Betfair but could easily be nominated. Tom Daley has a great chance but has already won gold last week and while the individual gold this morning would be a great sporting achievement, would it really affect the SPotY voting?

ETA outside the Olympics, there is not much happening but remember the Paralympics is yet to come.
    It’s a difficult one, isn’t it?

I’m still following the strategy of laying whoever just won, but as we move towards the business end of the year we need to think about how the competition might work. There’s still a lot of unknowns, with regard to the number of nominations and the voting process. Plus, as Francis mentioned, how the BBC choose to represent the nominees.

Lewis Hamilton was probably always going to win last year, as he had a world record achievement and was in one of few sports that managed to continue during the pandemic - but the wider social stuff the BBC love to champion made it a dead cert in the end.
    It would not be too surprising if all of the individual gold medallists (and Tom!) make the long list. We may need to look for who can be diverted into other awards such as Sky the skateboarder for Young SPotY or maybe the cyclists or swimmers for the Team award.

Your strategy of laying winners, as backers overreact to the latest news, is probably a good one (although obviously you will lay the actual winner as well). Are you backing them once they drift out again or just building a book?
    Blimey, that would be quite a long list of all individual golds get nominated.

I always thought Laura Kenny would do well because she actually has a personality but I’m not sure she’s that well known.

In 2016, Alistair Brownlee came second. I guess that might have been due to name recognition - the media talk about those two a lot. But I wonder if the public do take into account the event.

Personally I’d give it to Whitlock as I think his event is incredibly demanding and it’s one where you have to deliver on the day. The Madison is a bit of a lottery and, as well as the girls did, I don’t think it’s on a par with Whitlock or Peaty.
    You've sent me to Wikipedia! The last three years there have been only six nominees but in 2016, the last Olympics year, there were 16.
    Yes, but that included plenty of Vardy, Bale, Willett and a few paralympians.

I think Cavendish gets nominated. If Hamilton wins the title, he’s in. If the Lions win today then Jones is in (he might get in anyway).

Laura Kenny and Tom Daley will be nominated (non-individual winners).

There are 11 individual winners so far. That gets us close to 16 without taking into account footballers or the paralympics.
    That is why I'm inclined to wait and see. Speaking of Vardy, I've backed Leicester to win the Community Shield in 90 minutes this evening.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Did anyone watch the sports climbing ?

It seems to be something which involves a lot of attractive women.

I only got to see the mens's competition...
  • Mr. Richard, Rusedski reached the US Open final that year.

And lost.

And lost.
    Henman reached the semis of every Grand Slam except the Aussie Open.

And lost.

Rusedski also had an unfair advantage, in that he has a personality.
    Mr. Richard, aye. But still better than Henman.
  • malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption
    The facts are the facts Malcy.

And SCON are doing much better in areas where they shouldn't even be the main unionist option.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited August 2021
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

I’m not going to bet on him now, but I wonder if Galal Yafai might actually be an outside chance for SPoTY if he gets nominated? He’s going to have a lot of support.

Who is he
    Galal Yafai. Won gold in the flyweight boxing this morning. He used to work for Land Rover (hence having the car-worker vote sewn up).

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Disaster in Men's Kerin...Team GB rider Carin looks like might be being thrown out and Kenny doesn't have it.

I feel a bit for Jason. He won three golds in Rio and no one cared. Hoy did that in Beijing and won SPoTY.
    After 2008 it became expected.
    Indeed. Peaty and Whitlock should probably be favourites for SPoTY as they have defended titles but it actually counts against them. Pinsent should have won in 2004 in my opinion, but Holmes’s wins were unexpected (and on the track in prime time), so she won.
    Not to mention perhaps the most appalling choice ever - Damon Hill beating Steve Redgrave in 1996.
    I was a big Hill fan so was happy he won it, but it probably should have gone to Redgrave. I reckon it motivated Redgrave to stay on for Sydney.

Interesting thing is that other than a couple of wins at the start, F1 teams never win team of the year. Williams really ought to have won it a few times in the 1990s.
    Damon Hill won it TWICE.

He had already won it in 1994.

1997 was also a shocker - Greg Rusedski first with Tim Henman second.

When people are doing better in SPOTY than they do in their own sport then something is very wrong.
    I think Hill deserved to win in 1994. He showed a lot of character that season and was cheated out of the championship.

What’s interesting about 1997 is that Redgrave came third. He won a world championship that year, but other than athletics, voters don’t tend to reward such titles in other Olympic sports. It was also why the BBC messed up in 2011 by not having a woman nominated.

Other years where the wrong person won include (in my opinion): Gascoigne in 90 (should have been Faldo), Owen in 98 (Angus Fraser - okay, maybe an unlikely winner!), Hamilton in 14 (should have been McIlroy).
    felix said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9870519/Archbishop-York-criticises-London-metropolitan-elite-patronising-people-proud-English.html

The CoE has come out against the 'Rogers' of this parish! Archbishop of york has finally WOKEn up!

‘The most senior leader in the Church of England.’

Has something happened to Justin Welby without my noticing?
  • Good morning from LNER. Pingdemic still creating staffing issues. Happily the rules do not apply to Liar so we can all benefit from his ministrations.

Get a life
    Bless. I think I have a pretty good life thanks. Unlike you sheep who bleat away that anyone who isn't cheering on good old Boris are unpatriotic or whatever.
  • ydoethur said:

And lost.
    Henman reached the semis of every Grand Slam except the Aussie Open.

And lost.

Rusedski also had an unfair advantage, in that he has a personality.

Mr. Richard, aye. But still better than Henman.

Henman was dislikeable.

But oddly has an Olympic Silver from 1996.
    Livraysen looks like he could lift a fair bit more than the average olympic cyclist
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Perhaps Welby epitomises the woke metropolitan elite, that Cottrell so dispises.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

And SCON are doing much better in areas where they shouldn't even be the main unionist option.
    Gosh, if only there was some kind of event or events that occurred between 2012 and 2017?

SIndy and Brexit realigned Scottish voting coalitions quite dramatically.
  • ydoethur said:

felix said:

Isn't he taking a year away?

Get a life
    Bless. I think I have a pretty good life thanks. Unlike you sheep who bleat away that anyone who isn't cheering on good old Boris are unpatriotic or whatever.
    I would say sheep have a pretty good life. Eat, sleep, shag, and kick Jeremy Clarkson in the balls every so often. None of this existential angst bullshit we all go through.
  • ydoethur said:

felix said:

Currently taking a sabbatical. So describing Stevey-baby (as we used to call him in the pews of Chelmsford Diocese) as the most senior leader in the C of E is more justified than many things in the Daily Mail.

Worth noting that he comes out in favour of English Regions, so something to annoy everyone there.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited August 2021
    Good morning.

I am supposed to be en route to Legoland but the wife has taken daughter to A&E with a unpleasantly swollen eye (mosquito bite); and heavy downpour is causing a flash flood on the patio.

How’s your British staycation?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

As opposed to the Church of All England, obvs.

Sandpit said:

Who is he

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

They are doing next to nothing and if it was not for free seats for losers they would be lucky to have any seats. Labour and Lib Dem's are dead as Dodo's and so hardened unionists have only one party to vote for and even then they don't get within a mile of winning anything.
    To try and pretend they are popular is just mental, they are hated by the majority of the population.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Get a life
    I would say sheep have a pretty good life. Eat, sleep, shag, and kick Jeremy Clarkson in the balls every so often. None of this existential angst bullshit we all go through.
    How can you know that? You'd be amazed how often tourists on Dartmoor ring up farmers or better still the police to say they've come across a sheep or pony looking really depressed.

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Who is he
    Galal Yafai. Won gold in the flyweight boxing this morning. He used to work for Land Rover (hence having the car-worker vote sewn up).
    Thank you and well done to him.

ydoethur said:

felix said:

He’s apparently on a three month sabbatical.

But that doesn’t really make the statement more accurate. Temporarily, Cottrell is discharging the powers of the Primate of All England should an emergency arise, but the implication was that he was the top dog. Which he isn’t.

Incidentally, the fact Welby is going on sabbatical strongly suggests he intends to serve as ABC until 70. Which surely must make Graham Usher the favourite to replace him, given the age of the others, but don’t rule out Sarah Mullaney as the first female archbishop.

were lots of them attractive
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Get a life
    How can you know that? You'd be amazed how often tourists on Dartmoor ring up farmers or better still the police to say they've come across a sheep or pony looking really depressed.
    Why notify the police? Surely you need Father Ted Crilly?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

Gosh, if only there was some kind of event or events that occurred between 2012 and 2017?

Stop with that there voodoo rocket science malarkey of drawing attention to the bleeding obvious.
  • ydoethur said:

Get a life
    Every so often sheep roll over onto their backs and get stuck. One of the jobs of a shepherd is to put them back on their feet, otherwise they would die in that position.

Sheep may well be the stupidest mammals.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Who is he

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

They are doing next to nothing and if it was not for free seats for losers they would be lucky to have any seats. Labour and Lib Dem's are dead as Dodo's and so hardened unionists have only one party to vote for and even then they don't get within a mile of winning anything.
    To try and pretend they are popular is just mental, they are hated by the majority of the population.
    I don’t think @another_richard is saying SCONs are popular, just that, if you are an Unionist, they represent the best option. I think what Richard is getting at is that there may be signs the Unionist vote is slowly coalescing around one party and that Unionism trumps traditional disdain for the Tories.

Mr. Walker, hope your daughter's eye gets better soon.

Thanks. Sure it will.

Father-in-law in NZ (ex-paramedic) says it needs a proper anti-inflammatory.

Would have gone to GP but our local has basically stopped service since the pandemic.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,042
    "Just 46 per cent of under-30s in Birmingham and 48 per cent in Coventry have come forward for a Covid vaccine so far"

Telegraph
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Good morning.

I am supposed to be en route to Legoland but the wife has taken daughter to A&E with a unpleasantly swollen eye (mosquito bite); and heavy downpour is causing a flash flood on the patio.

Mrs Ed refuses to go on a British staycation or, as she calls it, “mud island”.

Judging from this summer, she is spot on
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,586
    malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption
    How the Boris fanbois assimilate data is quite remarkable.

2 + 2 = 33 with a detailed explanation of their workings out.
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Who is he

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

Also the real result to show some perspective :smile:
    SNP 42.5% (+1.7)
    Conservatives 24.4% (+2.4)
    Labour 21.8% (-9.1)
    Greens 7.6% (+4.0)
    Liberal Democrats 2.7% (-)
    Independence for Scotland 1.1% (+1.1)
    The swing from Labour to SNP is a little over 5%, although it must be remembered the baseline for these numbers is the 2017 local elections, when the SNP underperformed expectations somewhat.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Pulpstar said:

Livraysen looks like he could lift a fair bit more than the average olympic cyclist

Honestly they don't even try and hide the doping.

ydoethur said:

Get a life
    Every so often sheep roll over onto their backs and get stuck. One of the jobs of a shepherd is to put them back on their feet, otherwise they would die in that position.

Dunno, that bloke dressed as a viking who video streamed himself rioting in the Capitol building must give them a run for their money.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    malcolmg said:

were lots of them attractive
    Well, they were all very fit. And one of them - I think he got silver - seemed to be overjoyed with everything.

I'll have to watch the women's competition and compare. ;)
  • Good morning.

On the train from Inverurie to Peterborough for a few light ales with an old friend.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

But that doesn’t really make the statement more accurate. Temporarily, Cottrell is discharging the powers of the Primate of All England should an emergency arise, but the implication was that he was the top dog. Which he isn’t.

Incidentally, the fact Welby is going on sabbatical strongly suggests he intends to serve as ABC until 70. Which surely must make Graham Usher the favourite to replace him, given the age of the others, but don’t rule out Sarah Mullaney as the first female archbishop.
    Telegraph says "currently" most senior leader in CoE.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

I never said they were popular I just pointed out they are now doing better than they were a decade ago even in areas where they're not the main unionist party.

If you SNATs deny the electoral reality you're never going to become independent.
    MrEd said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Who is he

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

I don’t think @another_richard is saying SCONs are popular, just that, if you are an Unionist, they represent the best option. I think what Richard is getting at is that there may be signs the Unionist vote is slowly coalescing around one party and that Unionism trumps traditional disdain for the Tories.
    As I also said there are no other options, it is like a fight between 3 baldy men as to who gets the comb. Currently Tories are getting the comb.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Telegraph says "currently" most senior leader in CoE.
    Still don’t see how that’s accurate, frankly. Welby is still the senior leader even if he’s not currently carrying out his duties. A sabbatical is an extended holiday, in effect, not a suspension.
  • What are we putting the Clown "I'm not self-isolating" decision down to? Its only a few weeks since his last attempt to dodge his own rules was rapidly reversed, and yet this time he appears to be sticking to the dodge.

Is it "we're about to drop this requirement so what does it matter"
    Or "I've just had to self isolate and I'm not doing it again"
    Or even "I'm the bloody Prime Minister, I'm not doing that"

The 'rules don't apply to me' is not a good look. I know that Clown apologists like @squareroot2 think leadership is not leading, responsibility is not taking responsibility, but its a pretty sad lookout for a party that used to think rules and duty were virtues.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Scott_xP said:

She's the only Cabinet minister that we're aware of who has braved a foreign holiday this year

She'll come back from her holibobs with a string of trade deals.....
    edited August 2021

What are we putting the Clown "I'm not self-isolating" decision down to? Its only a few weeks since his last attempt to dodge his own rules was rapidly reversed, and yet this time he appears to be sticking to the dodge.

The 'rules don't apply to me' is not a good look. I know that Clown apologists like @squareroot2 think leadership is not leading, responsibility is not taking responsibility, but its a pretty sad lookout for a party that used to think rules and duty were virtues.

I’m going to go with ‘because he’s a bloody fool.’

TBF, he shouldn’t have to self isolate, there isn’t a good reason now to keep that rule. But since he made the decision to go with dates not data, that’s his own fault.

The one bonus is I imagine 95% of the remaining track and trace apps were suddenly deleted yesterday.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

I tend to agree.

I am very aware of the pitfalls of complacency, but I am starting to think that Scottish Labour really have passed the point of no return. The Richard Leonard error was probably the coup de grâce.

The age profile of their remaining voters is worrying.

About 40% of their voters are pro-independence, which is astonishing as nearly everybody had assumed that they’d lost all their independence supporters back in 2015.

They have zero talent. Murray and Sarwar are a weak pass, but behind them it is a desert.

They are lazy. They never were very good at canvassing, streetwork etc, even when they had hegemony. Now they are totally invisible.

Folk are now ashamed to admit that they vote Labour to their workmates and pals.

They have no policies, or at least not a single one the general population have heard of. Apart of course from British Unionism, but you can’t out-Tory the Tories.

On the constitution, they keep trying to fire up the ignition on federalism, about every three months. They’ve been doing that for half a century now. That motor ain’t never going to start; the technology is obsolete.

Maybe all this SLab to SCon and SLD to SCon “tactical voting” is a mirage? Maybe those voters are lost for good? The SLab to SNP and SLab to SGP voters don’t look like they’re ever going “home”.
    edited August 2021
    MrEd said:

Good morning.

Mrs Ed refuses to go on a British staycation or, as she calls it, “mud island”.

Judging from this summer, she is spot on
    I do agree with Mrs Ed.

But I cannot be bothered with PCR tests and quarantine etc. So Hampshire (this week) and Cotswolds (next week) it is.

Am hoping to actually leave the country in the autumn.
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Honestly they don't even try and hide the doping.
    I've seen arguments that it should just be allowed.
    If you look at the olympic sport where it's probably got the greatest effect - weightlifting - all the top nations are tricky ones for international testers to get into....
    Lasha would still be top though.
    "I tell you what, Boris Johnson. I’ll give up the diesel car your predecessors actively encouraged me to buy when you start being chauffeur driven in an armour-plated Tesla rather than your Jaguar XJ Sentinel supercharged 5.0 litre V8."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/08/06/britain-suffering-pandemic-political-hypocrisy/
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,586

Scott_xP said:

A contra deal of British bananas to the Carribbean in exchange for Carribbean bananas.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    edited August 2021
    My favourite thing about impeachment is the sudden conversion of people involved to the view it's an outrageous process to remove a sitting president without an election, thus neatly avoiding having to seriously consider if the person is guilty. Or deciding they are but still not doing it. All the while praising the constitution which allows the process.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Your Graham Usher tip takes us to Wikipedia and thence to Pocklington School's page where Usher is not even listed as a "notable former pupil" so I won't be visiting Ladbrokes this morning. But this sentence seems odd: "Pocklington School, has a number of traditions, such as the year group naming convention (first year, second year, etc.)." Surely those names would have been near-universal, at least before we started aping the Americans with this Year X malarkey?

Presumably you mistyped Sarah Mullally, Bishop of London and former Chief Nursing Officer, as your other tip.
    ydoethur said:

What are we putting the Clown "I'm not self-isolating" decision down to? Its only a few weeks since his last attempt to dodge his own rules was rapidly reversed, and yet this time he appears to be sticking to the dodge.

TBF, he shouldn’t have to self isolate, there isn’t a good reason now to keep that rule. But since he made the decision to go with dates not data, that’s his own fault.

The one bonus is I imagine 95% of the remaining track and trace apps were suddenly deleted yesterday.
    imho he's refusing to isolate because he's clearly not at Chequers and to get there now would look a bit obvious.

Mr. 86, as a child, I was a Schumacher fan.

Me too.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    IshmaelZ said:
    Forever going to be known as Mongo, isn't he....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cDfnQD0ws
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

I tend to agree.

I am very aware of the pitfalls of complacency, but I am starting to think that Scottish Labour really have passed the point of no return. The Richard Leonard error was probably the coup de grâce.

About 40% of their voters are pro-independence, which is astonishing as nearly everybody had assumed that they’d lost all their independence supporters back in 2015.

They have zero talent. Murray and Sarwar are a weak pass, but behind them it is a desert.

They are lazy. They never were very good at canvassing, streetwork etc, even when they had hegemony. Now they are totally invisible.

Folk are now ashamed to admit that they vote Labour to their workmates and pals.

They have no policies, or at least not a single one the general population have heard of. Apart of course from British Unionism, but you can’t out-Tory the Tories.

On the constitution, they keep trying to fire up the ignition on federalism, about every three months. They’ve been doing that for half a century now. That motor ain’t never going to start; the technology is obsolete.

Maybe all this SLab to SCon and SLD to SCon “tactical voting” is a mirage? Maybe those voters are lost for good? The SLab to SNP and SLab to SGP voters don’t look like they’re ever going “home”.
    I think I’ve just figured out you’re not a Unionist?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited August 2021
    IshmaelZ said:
    He should just have called it Frohlich.

The person who put the horse into the horse pool seems to have made a shocking mistake.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2021/08/07/german-modern-pentathlon-coach-kim-raisner-pulled-mens-event/

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

I tend to agree.

There’s simply no space for them in Scotland.

The SNP have become the main left wing party.
    (With the Greens of you are even more left wing, although my knowledge of the Scottish Greens is admittedly zero).
  • Scott_xP said:

Grant Shapps getting caught out on the Costa when the rules changed was last year. Tempus fugit and all that.
    Given how some American progressives really dont like Biden, the John Oliver crowd (it has helped move his programme on a bit from complaining about Trump), and the pretty entitled view from them that he was only going to stand once, they will hit the roof if he dares to stand again.

Itd be hilarious, but not sure who theyd rely behind as a serious challenger if they wanted to take on a sitting president for the nomination, even one who is 120 or something.

Scott_xP said:

A contra deal of British bananas to the Carribbean in exchange for Carribbean bananas.
    No sprouts in the Caribbean?
  • Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

mental assumption

To the benefit of SCON.

Something PB's SCON haters didn't predict.

Indeed. Not like previous champions always played nice.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

ydoethur said:

You work for the London and North Eastern Railway?
    How many employees worked for British Rail?

About half of them.

Thank you very much, I'm here all week. Don't forget to try the snoek.
    No; not again.
    Mr. kle4, aye. The Senna worship is particularly bizarre given all the knocking Schumacher got for similar things.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited August 2021

Good morning.

Did a steezy whip on my MTB in the woods and the rear wheel folded up. Multiple contusions as I punched a hole in the scenery. Business as usual.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087

Good morning.

It doesn't involve a building project.

kle4 said:

Indeed. Not like previous champions always played nice.
    I always like it when Motogpnews bring up Alain Prost:

https://motogpnews.com/2017/10/20/prost-smiths-contract-is-one-of-the-best-ive-ever-seen/

ydoethur said:

imho he's refusing to isolate because he's clearly not at Chequers and to get there now would look a bit obvious.
    It would look like “running away” from Jockland after his Margaret Thunberg gaffe. Bad optics.

But as ydoethur says, he did make the rules! (Except he didn’t, cos he was under Scottish jurisdiction, but our rules are similar.)
  • ydoethur said:

I had a guy come to quote for some repair work in my office - he was 2 weeks later than planned having contracted Covid despite his double jab. When the Clown decided that direct exposure to pox doesn't mean he should stop going places and meeting people all he is doing is giving green light to the selfish and the stupid.

Some of these who haven't even been jabbed are going to keep doing what they want when they want because Boris sez its ok. Compare and contrast with actual leaders like
    Macron who berate the idiots who put others in danger.

Covid is a massive inconvenience for Liar - he wants to be PM for status not to actually govern, and Covid has forced him to make all kinds of decisions. He isn't good at facts or detail or making decisions so he just wants to pretend its all finished and gone away.

ydoethur said:

Get a life

Came across one on that position a few months ago. Dont know how they manage it, not sure why they would attempt to roll about even if frolicking.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

ydoethur said:

It would look like “running away” from Jockland after his Margaret Thunberg gaffe. Bad optics.

But as ydoethur says, he did make the rules! (Except he didn’t, cos he was under Scottish jurisdiction, but our rules are similar.)
    Margaret Thunberg, like it.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    DougSeal said:

I wish people would stop calling a holiday in the U.K. a “staycation”. A staycation is when you stay at home on your time off but take day trips in your local area but a leisure trip to the Lake District for a week is a holiday in the Lake District for a week. I didn’t leave the shores of Great Britain until I was 10 (something true of many pre-Millenials) but did have holidays before that, largely in Cornwall and the Isle of Wight. They weren’t staycations.

Anyway, weather’s looking a bit better next week according to the Met Office app.

My (then) fiancée and I were thought very daring back in 1961, when we flew to Guernsey for a week after finishing our studies.

Mr. kle4, aye. The Senna worship is particularly bizarre given all the knocking Schumacher got for similar things.

FWIW, I don’t have great affection for Senna, though he was before my time really.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Choong gets the same horse as French did yesterday. Fingers crossed!

SCON +18.2%
    SLAB -21.8%

I tend to agree.

There’s simply no space for them in Scotland.

The SNP have become the main left wing party.
    (With the Greens of you are even more left wing, although my knowledge of the Scottish Greens is admittedly zero).
    Agreed. Market positioning is dealt with in chapter one of Marketing for Dummies, but no one in Scottish Labour seems to understand marketing, certainly not the wholesale magnate.

Not that I’m convinced that left-right plays much role in modern Scottish electoral behaviour. After all, who would ever have imagined that the Tories would champion high spending, high tax and high debt?
    Mr. 86, aye, I was just referring to the general reverence when he did exactly the same thing as Schumacher did but Senna was almost always portrayed in a good light/as a true racer, and Schumacher, to an extent, vilified.

Ironically, Hamilton, who does exalt Senna, appears to be a better character (Verstappen crash was not deliberate, I think, unlike when Senna struck Prost).
This discussion has been closed.