Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Scottish IndyRef is set to be the biggest non-general e

SystemSystem Posts: 11,712
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Scottish IndyRef is set to be the biggest non-general election UK political betting event ever

The chart above from Betfair fits in with messages coming from the traditional bookies about the huge betting interest in the September 18th Scottish referendum. I track this daily and have been amazed that this far out there has been so much activity.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,434
    FPT:
    It would be absurd to suggest that RBS would abandon Scotland or simply withdraw from the Scottish market. Of course it won't.

But what will happen is that the group will be registered in England, the tax base will be in England and more of the higher value business will be dealt with south of the border with the consequential loss of head office and better paid jobs north of the border, also impacting on the tax base. Many of the jobs in the Gyle would drift south where the customers actually are.

Within the UK being "Scottish" has generally been an asset from a marketing point of view with overtones of prudence etc. Whether these are deserved is really not the point. What is the point is that this is still within the context of an integrated and regulated UK market.

If Scotland has to set up its own regulators for that part of the business still done in Scotland compliance with this will be an additional cost (as RBS has pointed out) and I fear it would be a marketing weakness since UK regulation (quite bizarrely given the last 7 years) has a strong international reputation giving passports to those who want to trade internationally.

Getting and obtaining staff of the requisite standard to build a credible regulatory system would be very difficult and expensive for Scotland.

All of this is one simple example of the price one would pay from withdrawing from an integrated market of 65m to a home market of 5.3m. Scottish business would no doubt adapt and survive in due course but to pretend that there would not be significant business consequences is just dishonest. When Czechoslovakia broke up trade between the former partners collapsed. Trade is lower than it should be between the US and southern Canada. Borders inhibit trade. It is a fact of life.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Second!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

FPT:
    It would be absurd to suggest that RBS would abandon Scotland or simply withdraw from the Scottish market. Of course it won't.

But what will happen is that the group will be registered in England, the tax base will be in England and more of the higher value business will be dealt with south of the border with the consequential loss of head office and better paid jobs north of the border, also impacting on the tax base. Many of the jobs in the Gyle would drift south where the customers actually are.

Within the UK being "Scottish" has generally been an asset from a marketing point of view with overtones of prudence etc. Whether these are deserved is really not the point. What is the point is that this is still within the context of an integrated and regulated UK market.

If Scotland has to set up its own regulators for that part of the business still done in Scotland compliance with this will be an additional cost (as RBS has pointed out) and I fear it would be a marketing weakness since UK regulation (quite bizarrely given the last 7 years) has a strong international reputation giving passports to those who want to trade internationally.

Getting and obtaining staff of the requisite standard to build a credible regulatory system would be very difficult and expensive for Scotland.

All of this is one simple example of the price one would pay from withdrawing from an integrated market of 65m to a home market of 5.3m. Scottish business would no doubt adapt and survive in due course but to pretend that there would not be significant business consequences is just dishonest. When Czechoslovakia broke up trade between the former partners collapsed. Trade is lower than it should be between the US and southern Canada. Borders inhibit trade. It is a fact of life.

Of course that is what will happen (although, I suspect that RBS Group, as opposed to RBS brand, will rebrand themselves either as NatWest or as some nonsensical modern formulation).
  • Options
    I had forgotten how much fun canvassing could be until this came along. My best yesterday was a man who explained that he had been intending to vote yes but had now changed to a definite no.

Excellent but why, you might ask? Well because the local SNP council had made a complete mess of doing up his kitchen (council house). He demanded I have a look and I did have to admit that the quality of the papering on the ceiling made me look competent at DIY.

He then explained that he had also been banned from the local library and that his doctor was not letting him in the surgery either. By this time I was edging for the door. But we'll take it. One more for the righteous!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    DavidL said:

I had forgotten how much fun canvassing could be until this came along. My best yesterday was a man who explained that he had been intending to vote yes but had now changed to a definite no.

Excellent but why, you might ask? Well because the local SNP council had made a complete mess of doing up his kitchen (council house). He demanded I have a look and I did have to admit that the quality of the papering on the ceiling made me look competent at DIY.

He then explained that he had also been banned from the local library and that his doctor was not letting him in the surgery either. By this time I was edging for the door. But we'll take it. One more for the righteous!

Does he work for RBS? :-)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

I think not...He seemed to be in receipt of some disability. Can't think why.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,011
    Ed's phone in seems to have gone down... quite well...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

It's amusing to observe the earnest and in depth discussion on RBS options after the vote, when folks are making the decision based on their kitchen wallpaper.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2014
    It seems rather strange that there has been so much activity on the IndyRef main market, given that there has been rather little shift in the polling, and the odds have been so one-sided.

I suspect the reason is people betting on what they want to happen, a good formula for losing money.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I confess to having the odd few shillings on the outcome ....
  • Options
    Wow! Ladbrokes have 77.5% as the most likely turnout.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

A little low IMO and the latest McARSE published on Tuesday indicated a turnout projection of 81.5%

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,193
    Philip Collins stands up for the French economy
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4163549.ece
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

It's amusing to observe the earnest and in depth discussion on RBS options after the vote, when folks are making the decision based on their kitchen wallpaper.
    That's really what brought it to mind. I also had another person in receipt of a navy pension. Was he concerned about who was responsible for paying this after independence? No, it would be the navy of course.

His concern was that if Scotland was made independent then he might be treated as "abroad" so that his pension would be frozen and not receive the automatic uplifts. This has happened to some in receipt of old age pensions who have gone abroad but (1) I think this would probably end up getting paid by the Scottish government (2) I am somewhat doubtful that Scotland will be regarded as "abroad" for anyone now alive and (3) I don't think the freezing of entitlement has ever been applied to work related pensions.

What it shows, as more experienced cavassers than me will know all too well, is that the Great British public's perception of the issues is far more varied, wacky and downright perverse than many might think.

• Options
    JackW said:

A little low IMO and the latest McARSE published on Tuesday indicated a turnout projection of 81.5%

Hmmm. Not sure, now 16- and 17- year-olds have the vote for this one.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

It seems rather strange that there has been so much activity on the IndyRef main market, given that there has been rather little shift in the polling, and the odds have been so one-sided.

I suspect the reason is people betting on what they want to happen, a good formula for losing money.

I don't understand why you would do that, rather than the opposite. I have a few sovs on ed as next PM, guaranteeing me one sort of pleasure or another come next May.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    DavidL said:

Blimey, he sounds like a nutter – first rule of canvassing – don’t cross the threshold. ; )
  • Options
    Fascinating new poll from TNS shows that slightly more Tories (31%) would prefer a Coalition with the LDs than UKIP (30%). 32% of Labour voters would also prefer a Coalition with the LDs.

LD voters prefer a Coalition with the Tories to Labour by 36% to 26%. UKIP voters prefer a Coalition with the Tories to Labour by 24% to 13%

Labour voters are the most reluctant to enter a Coalition of the big 3, with 27% preferring opposition to a Coalition if they do not win outright compared to only 16% of Tories and 13% of LDs. 39% of UKIP voters also oppose a Coalition.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/01/conservative-voters-ukip-coalition-poll
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    " I have a few sovs on ..."

Blimey, I haven't heard that sort of talk for thirty years and then not outside the M25. "Sovs", indeed, quite takes me back.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

That's really what brought it to mind. I also had another person in receipt of a navy pension. Was he concerned about who was responsible for paying this after independence? No, it would be the navy of course.

His concern was that if Scotland was made independent then he might be treated as "abroad" so that his pension would be frozen and not receive the automatic uplifts. This has happened to some in receipt of old age pensions who have gone abroad but (1) I think this would probably end up getting paid by the Scottish government (2) I am somewhat doubtful that Scotland will be regarded as "abroad" for anyone now alive and (3) I don't think the freezing of entitlement has ever been applied to work related pensions.

What it shows, as more experienced cavassers than me will know all too well, is that the Great British public's perception of the issues is far more varied, wacky and downright perverse than many might think.

Although, to be fair to your navy guy, that's a very important issue for him & if he can avoid uncertainty (because the reality is there will be uncertainty in the event of a yes vote) by voting NO then that is a rational decision, not wacky or perverse.

Your wallpaper guy...
  • Options
    Just found out that the recent BBC2 railway series was only three episodes long. Very disappointed!
  • Options

" I have a few sovs on ..."

Blimey, I haven't heard that sort of talk for thirty years and then not outside the M25. "Sovs", indeed, quite takes me back.

a favourite expression of that buccaneer of the alternative economy Arthur Daley.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    Seems to have been a twitter meltdown because Ed said he was proud to be a Londoner whilst representing Doncaster. I'm sure he was just thinking of the JFK thing, 'Ich bin ein Berliner'
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    edited August 2014
    Good evening, everyone.

Watched a spot of athletics. The lead runner for the English ladies 4x400m relay team was rather delightful.

Edited extra bit: and just 1 more player needed for the PB 2014 MkIV game of Diplomacy (password: catsandkittens, I think).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just found out that the recent BBC2 railway series was only three episodes long. Very disappointed!

Gosh that's hard lines.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Philip Collins stands up for the French economy
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4163549.ece

A pro-French article in The Times by a Blairite. Not what you might expect everyday, however I've always felt the Blairites had a hint of the good life about them so a soft spot for la France isn't so shocking. Probably still more of the holiday home type rather than full on citizen I would expect. Not with those taxes on the rich.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    HYUFD said:

LD voters prefer a Coalition with the Tories to Labour by 36% to 26%.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/01/conservative-voters-ukip-coalition-poll

Presumably those few LDs left include a fair few willing to make coalition with anyone depending on the numbers, believing coalition with anyone is better than no coalition, and I guess may feel less inclined to prefer one with the party that has been calling them traitors for betraying the left (or other such remarks) than the party which, while elements of it attack them constantly, has enough people who have proven they can work together and hold back the insults a bit. I'm sure Labour has enough professionals in their ranks to do the same if it was required.
  • Options
    I really should put some money on a Yes victory, if only to try to make up for the emotional pain should it actually occur, although betting for what you don't want to happen is presumably a recipe for losing money as much as betting for what you do want to happen.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ProfJimG: Scots already better off than Scandinavians, it seems. Intriguing work by @DavidNFBell http://t.co/AxrJjWFtQa #indyref
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, that way lies madness. You guarantee losing money or feeling awful. Bet to make money, not soothe your aching heart.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ProfJimG: Scots already better off than Scandinavians, it seems. Intriguing work by @DavidNFBell http://t.co/AxrJjWFtQa #indyref

Hmm, doesn't feel right, but then I get jealous of the Scandinavian nations always populating the top of 'best countries in the world' lists, so any measure which shows we can match them is worthwhile I guess. Especially if it is true.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Mr. kle4, that way lies madness. You guarantee losing money or feeling awful. Bet to make money, not soothe your aching heart.

I figured as much. I am at least feeling more optimistic about the outcome now, which is something.

Also, with Guardians of the Galaxy being surprisingly awesome when it so easily could have been terrible, perhaps everything is looking alright after all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I really should put some money on a Yes victory, if only to try to make up for the emotional pain should it actually occur, although betting for what you don't want to happen is presumably a recipe for losing money as much as betting for what you do want to happen.

Think of it as nationalist insurance.
  • Options
    FrankBooth Indeed, he will be back in London by the autumn. France is the most visited nation in the world though, so it must have something going for it, and he also has some sensible points about France's strong productivity for those who French who do actually get to work
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Considering how important the Scots referendum is to the UK, I have not seen much coverage on the campaign. If they do vote to become independent, Cameron could face having to resign.
  • Options
    kle4 Indeed, the LDs will go with the largest party in the end if no party wins outright
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Only just saw this gem :')
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Good evening, everyone.

Watched a spot of athletics. The lead runner for the English ladies 4x400m relay team was rather delightful.

Edited extra bit: and just 1 more player needed for the PB 2014 MkIV game of Diplomacy (password: catsandkittens, I think).

Have you seen Jayne Nesbet?
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Considering how important the Scots referendum is to the UK, I have not seen much coverage on the campaign. If they do vote to become independent, Cameron could face having to resign.

As for the coverage, official campaign or no, there's been background stuff filtering through even to the politically unconcerned for more than a year, so not as much ramping up as might seem necessary perhaps, or still keeping their powder dry for the final burst at the end perhaps.

As for Cameron resigning, I think he could well make that choice - though the outcome is not down to him really, and he didn't set things in motion, he would still be the PM who oversaw the demise of the UK - although apparently he won't do it. If enough of his backbenchers, so close to the GE, can be persuaded it is a good thing, that they can focus on a Tory majority in England alone, he might not even face that much pressure.

What will Darling's reward be if No do win is what I wonder though.
  • Options
    Mr. England, I'm afraid not. Is it recommended?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Mr. England, I'm afraid not. Is it recommended?

Most definitely!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A peerage, or some sort of gong from the Queen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 Indeed, the LDs will go with the largest party in the end if no party wins outright

Will they? It's quite unlikely that there would be a scenario in which they could form a majority with either Labour or Conservative. It would come down to whether the party grassroots would support a coalition. I'm far from convinced they would do another deal with the Tories, but who knows?

Put yourself in their position. they've lost a lot of councillors. Almost all their MEPs. If they go down to 25MPs, what would they be getting out of a coalition? Not very much in terms of influence (10%?) and just another 5 years of pain.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Are you going to put today's Populus on your spreadsheet?

When you do, I think that will complete your latest 15 day period.
  • Options
    FrankBooth The most leftwing Liberals have moved to Labour or the Greens, if no party has a majority another LD coalition with the largest party is inevitable, the markets would demand it anyway until the economy is sorted. What LD in their right mind would also dismiss the chance of being given another 5 years in government despite all the pressures, for only the second time since Lloyd-George?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Will they? It's quite unlikely that there would be a scenario in which they could form a majority with either Labour or Conservative. It would come down to whether the party grassroots would support a coalition. I'm far from convinced they would do another deal with the Tories, but who knows?

Put yourself in their position. they've lost a lot of councillors. Almost all their MEPs. If they go down to 25MPs, what would they be getting out of a coalition? Not very much in terms of influence (10%?) and just another 5 years of pain.

I don't think they'll get the chance to form one with any side either. I think that in theory they would, if the maths worked, enter into a coalition with anyone, but in reality I don't think they'd have the stomach for another round with the Tories, seemingly confirming that they are the natural allies of the Tories, which despite the collapse of their base most of those remaining seem ill at ease with, even if they are getting more comfortable with the idea if the alternative is working with those insulting them for so long in this parliament. Going with Labour might cancel out that fear, show they are grown up and work with whoever they can, but I'm thinking the destroyed remnants (be they 50% of previous MPs or, best case, 75% or so) will need to regroup so much, rediscover an approach (being pure centre not working) and so avoid a coalition even if one is on the table. With the economy on the mend, even if much pain remains, I am sure they could say there is no national interest forcing them to make a deal.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Added, and thanks for informing me (I'm sure I would have realised eventually...!)

For those not in the loop -- http://goo.gl/9RfFdf
  • Options
    Hm, does that Populus poll mean PB Hodges are marching back up the hill? ..... *titters*
  • Options
    kle4 Danny Alexander has said the LDs will veto a minority government, if there is another hung parliament the LD leadership will force a Coalition, and the markets will probably demand one too for certainty until a surplus is returned
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    kle4 said:

hucks67 said:

As for the coverage, official campaign or no, there's been background stuff filtering through even to the politically unconcerned for more than a year, so not as much ramping up as might seem necessary perhaps, or still keeping their powder dry for the final burst at the end perhaps.

As for Cameron resigning, I think he could well make that choice - though the outcome is not down to him really, and he didn't set things in motion, he would still be the PM who oversaw the demise of the UK - although apparently he won't do it. If enough of his backbenchers, so close to the GE, can be persuaded it is a good thing, that they can focus on a Tory majority in England alone, he might not even face that much pressure.

As a former holder of one of the 4 great offices of state Darling is automatically entitled to a Peerage if he wants one. However he may get a specific honour like the next vacancy in the Order of the Thistle though that may be some time away as the Queen has just installed both Lord Smith of Kelvin and the Earl of Home.
  • Options
    DanBarkrDanBarkr Posts: 17
    DavidL said:

So how confident are you for a NO win? Looking at the polls it seems promising but do you think the SNP could make a come back and claim legitimacy with a 50.1% vote for YES?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 Danny Alexander has said the LDs will veto a minority government, if there is another hung parliament the LD leadership will force a Coalition, and the markets will probably demand one too for certainty until a surplus is returned

Perhaps you are right, although what they say they will do now and what they will do if they have had their MPs halved (call it worst case scenario), may not match up.

They have been expecting to see some kind of return to form by 2015, a good chance at mid to late teens, but they polls have been so consistently terrible, even getting worse, that many who might once have gifted them the vote on GE day might not see the point any longer, making the worse case scenario more likely. Hell, their stance on civil liberties for one thing has made me inclined to vote for an independent come 2015 rather than vote LD as I often have, not that it matters in a safe Tory seat, and I'm someone who has defended their actions in coalition pretty much all along the way.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    hucks67 said:

There is absolutely no reason for David Cameron to resign if YES wins. He has had little or no say on the matter. In Scotland the Referendum is other than the Commonwealth Games the only talk of the steamie. It is dividing friends and families. We have the big debate on STV next Tuesday between Eck and Darling at 8pm.
  • Options

kle4 said:

hucks67 said:

As a former holder of one of the 4 great offices of state Darling is automatically entitled to a Peerage if he wants one.
    I didn't know that was a firm rule (well, as firm as you get in our system no doubt). Fascinating. I do hope he gets something extra if he succeeds, he will not have had it easy.
  • Options
    kle4 If there is a hung parliament and the LDs hold 20-30 seats they will most likely again be kingmakers, and the polls suggest that is a very likely prospect, especially with the rise of UKIP and to a lesser extent the Greens. Anyway, off to the gym
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Added, and thanks for informing me (I'm sure I would have realised eventually...!)

No problem. I see you've also got the TNS-BMRB poll from 17/07/14 which only came to light this morning.

So the 15 day period closes with:

Lab +0.06
    Con -0.21
    LD -0.32
    UKIP +0.85

A quite surprising result with UKIP bouncing back after its large fall post Euros.

Not huge Lab / Con movements but clearly disappointing for Con given their need to be making progress.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 If there is a hung parliament and the LDs hold 20-30 seats they will most likely again be kingmakers, and the polls suggest that is a very likely prospect, especially with the rise of UKIP and to a lesser extent the Greens. Anyway, off to the gym

At this hour?

Even in a hung parliament, I don't see a coalition as inevitable. Something less formal to pass the necessary bits perhaps, but the Tories won't be as keen, the LDs will be caught up in their troubles, and the economy is doing much better, making fears of instability from a minority government less of a concern.

But then I think a Labour majority is all but inevitable, so we shall see.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

How about Duke of Teviotdale?
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

How about Duke of Teviotdale?
    A good as time as any to award a new hereditary peerage!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

No problem. I see you've also got the TNS-BMRB poll from 17/07/14 which only came to light this morning.

Lab +0.06
    Con -0.21
    LD -0.32
    UKIP +0.85

A quite surprising result with UKIP bouncing back after its large fall post Euros.

Not huge Lab / Con movements but clearly disappointing for Con given their need to be making progress.
    Yeah, somehow I had entered that on the ~22nd July. Perhaps the headline figures were publicised first, and the more detailed questions only recently announced.
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter what Danny Alexander thinks. A coalition deal would have to be agreed by members at a special conference. If they can't agree to one, we may well end up with a minority government. Not much Danny can do.

To be honest Alexander is rather typical of the arrogant elite many Lib Dem grassroots feel have taken over their party. They have plenty of democratic structures in place that the likes of Danny seem blissfully unaware of.
  • Options
    @RobD

It would be a convenient way of upsetting the Germans, the Scots, the Fascists (allegedly) and @JackW in one easy move
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Like a moth to a flame...

PB Diplomacy IV is now complete.

(please not Austria this time...)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Earlier today, a senior Times of Israel writer wrote an article called

When Genocide Is Permissible

Arguing for the total extermination of all Gazans. The article was quickly pulled when, perhaps surprisingly, reaction turned out to be not entirely favourable.

However #WhenGenocideIsPermissible is now a globally trending hashtag.

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/1/5959635/heres-the-full-text-of-the-deleted-time-of-israel-post-backing?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_name=share-button&utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=article-share-top

Did you read Hopi's post I referred you to earlier?

Worth the time.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Lab +0.06
    Con -0.21
    LD -0.32
    UKIP +0.85

Yeah, somehow I had entered that on the ~22nd July. Perhaps the headline figures were publicised first, and the more detailed questions only recently announced.
    Ah OK - didn't realise you had already loaded that in before today.

By the way keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Charles said:

@RobD

It would be a convenient way of upsetting the Germans, the Scots, the Fascists (allegedly) and @JackW in one easy move

I clearly don't know my history, according to wiki it is another name for the Roxburghshire area?
  • Options

I've confirmed
  • Options
    What about the Order of Merit, there is a convenient vacancy in the 24-member order.
  • Options
    Come on Malta !
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Well done, Doc, glad you came aboard.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

By the way keep up the good work!

No problem, we all got tired of waiting for the Wiki graph to updated. Although I am still not sure why they look different despite the fact I am using the same moving average window. Anyway...

• Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

@RobD

I clearly don't know my history, according to wiki it is another name for the Roxburghshire area?
    The Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale was the English commander at Culloden (the Scots), but is currently claimed by Ernst August of Hanover (allegedly a German) and would no doubt really upset our resident Jacobite because it would remind him that the Crown gets to dispose of titles as it wishes.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

@RobD

The Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale was the English commander at Culloden (the Scots), but is currently claimed by Ernst August of Hanover (allegedly a German) and would no doubt really upset our resident Jacobite because it would remind him that the Crown gets to dispose of titles as it wishes.
    Hm, in the spirit of reconciliation I suspect that title would not be awarded!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

@RobD

Protector of the Realm?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

@RobD

It would have been a perfectly acceptable troll though, until you took it seriously ;-)
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    SeanT said:

Earlier today, a senior Times of Israel writer wrote an article called

When Genocide Is Permissible

Arguing for the total extermination of all Gazans. The article was quickly pulled when, perhaps surprisingly, reaction turned out to be not entirely favourable.

However #WhenGenocideIsPermissible is now a globally trending hashtag.

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/1/5959635/heres-the-full-text-of-the-deleted-time-of-israel-post-backing?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_name=share-button&utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=article-share-top

If only the Israelis were mere swivel eyed loons, they are instead something far more sinister.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Protector of the Realm?
    Who'd be the Hand of the Queen? ;-)

Anyway, I like the Idea of an OM. Although we are probably getting a little ahead of ourselves at this point :D
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

If only the Israelis were mere swivel eyed loons, they are instead something far more sinister.

Swivel eyed loons with an army....?
  • Options
    Jamaica are going to lap some of these.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Protector of the Realm?
    Who'd be the Hand of the Queen? ;-)

Anyway, I like the Idea of an OM. Although we are probably getting a little ahead of ourselves at this point :D
    Quite. I'm trying to overcome my natural pessimism with positive thoughts, but no chickens will be counted until the day after the referendum.
  • Options
    Jamaicans equal Games record in 2nd gear.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,376
    edited August 2014
    HYUFD said:

FrankBooth The most leftwing Liberals have moved to Labour or the Greens, if no party has a majority another LD coalition with the largest party is inevitable, the markets would demand it anyway until the economy is sorted. What LD in their right mind would also dismiss the chance of being given another 5 years in government despite all the pressures, for only the second time since Lloyd-George?

The campaign may be relevant here, since those LibDems dependent on tactical Labour votes to hold off the Tories will certainly be asked to promise not to support another Tory-led government in return. If they waver on that, they lose their seats. It won't have arisen last time since almost nobody was really expecting it.

• Options
    SeanT said:

The man who called for the extermination of all Gazans - in today's Times of Israel "When Genocide is Permissible" op-ed - has now apologised.

"I never intended to call to harm any people although my words may have conveyed that message."

"

A fantastic quote. Do his words often accidentally convey horrific messages without his intention? He should try a new profession if that is the case.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    You can get only a little worse than evens (1.97) for Yes getting 40-49%.
    40-44% is at 5\2; 45-49%, 7\2. Works out as 31\32.

You can also get about 4/7 (134\185 or 1.58 to be precise) for Yes getting 40%+.

Where can I get lots of money on? Can someone advise? :-)

No will almost certainly win. Better Together has run a crap campaign but the issue of the £85000 bank deposit guarantee can be wheeled out at any time and it will be bye bye Yes.

The Herfindahl index for Scottish retail banking (Lloyds and RBS own around 75%) would make it impossible for the government of an indy Scotland to continue protecting deposits at the current UK (and EU) level. That's something that's comprehensible to many DKs and also to those among the intending Yeses who are aware of more than national pride issues.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/yes-vote-percentage
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

At this hour?

Even in a hung parliament, I don't see a coalition as inevitable. Something less formal to pass the necessary bits perhaps, but the Tories won't be as keen, the LDs will be caught up in their troubles, and the economy is doing much better, making fears of instability from a minority government less of a concern.

But then I think a Labour majority is all but inevitable, so we shall see.
    We'll see if Clegg hangs on (Labour currently 7/2 to win Hallam). What would be interesting is if Labour is a few seats short of a majority and the Lib Dems are down to 25-30 MPs. There would then be big pressure on Clegg. I suspect he may be discarded whilst Miliband is trying to run a minority government (Cameron having fallen due to the numbers but not enough to force a 2nd election under the fixed parliament act). With a new Lib Dem leader in place we could have Lib/Lab entering into coalition by the end of 2015 when Ed realises that running a minority administration is too tough.

• Options
    Ed Miliband takes bronze in the 10,000.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @SeanT

If they'd left that blog up it would have had *loads* of shares!
  • Options
    DanBarkr said:

DavidL said:

So how confident are you for a NO win? Looking at the polls it seems promising but do you think the SNP could make a come back and claim legitimacy with a 50.1% vote for YES?
    I would say that I am about 80% confident that no will win. There are risks but the probabilities are that are that Scotland is too sensible to vote yes. But if it does, it does. There are no second chances for the no campaign.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The campaign may be relevant here, since those LibDems dependent on tactical Labour votes to hold off the Tories will certainly be asked to promise not to support another Tory-led government in return. If they waver on that, they lose their seats. It won't have arisen last time since almost nobody was really expecting it.

I thought the LDs had been clear they would do a deal with whoever won the most seats, if it came to that, it just proved a shock to half their voters that they actually meant what they said on that point. who then immediately jumped ship.

• Options
    SeanT said:

The man who called for the extermination of all Gazans - in today's Times of Israel "When Genocide is Permissible" op-ed - has now apologised.

"I never intended to call to harm any people although my words may have conveyed that message."

http://5tjt.com/apology-from-yochanan-gordon/

In other news, Adolf Hitler has apologised to the Jews, by saying "whoops, I'm sorry, I just slipped, these things happen"

Ok @SeanT, I'll bite.

Let's say that the Serbs decided to eliminate every last non-Serbian Bosnian from the face of the earth and that they could not in any way be turned from their determination to achieve this. And that they would not accept peace until this was achieved, even if it was to take them many generations.

Let's also say that the west did not have the means or the will to prevent this.

What would be the appropriate response by the Bosnians?
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:
    That comes pretty close to some very unpleasant accusations.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

http://5tjt.com/apology-from-yochanan-gordon/

In other news, Adolf Hitler has apologised to the Jews, by saying "whoops, I'm sorry, I just slipped, these things happen"

So if you want to highlight one loon who apologises what have you got to say about Hamas whose unapologetic Official Policy is the extermination of Israeli's and the destruction of Israel?
  • Options
    Just @austinjc and @Thescreamingeagles to confirm
  • Options
    Following on from the Hallam betting theme, I've been looking at all the constituencies where someone is 7/2 at paddypower.

Labour to win Hallam 7/2
    Tories to win Sherwood - 7/2
    Tories to win Lancs/Fleetwood 7/2
    Tories to win Lincoln 7/2
    Tories to win Halifax 7/2
    Tories to win Hampstead/Kilburn 7/2
    SNP to win Dundee West 7/2
    Tories to win Bolton West 7/2

Whether or not the odds are sensible this gives an idea of the scale of upset required. I'd be pretty concerned if I was the leader of a party who had put the Tories in power whilst representing a city that doesn't have a single Tory councillor.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I'd be pretty concerned if I was the leader of a party who had put the Tories in power whilst representing a city that doesn't have a single Tory councillor.

I'd be less concerned if my party's vote share had held up very well in elections in my constituency since that decision was made.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Charles said:

FalseFlag said:
    That comes pretty close to some very unpleasant accusations.
    It doesn't seem to be reporting anything inaccurate.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,909
    kle4 said:

I thought the LDs had been clear they would do a deal with whoever won the most seats, if it came to that, it just proved a shock to half their voters that they actually meant what they said on that point. who then immediately jumped ship.

No, the line in 2010 was quite simple - the party would talk first to the side winning the most VOTES not seats. Conveniently (as it seemed at the time), the Conservatives fitted both options.

It's perfectly possible (and indeed OGH and some others have backed this contingency) that in 2015, the Conservatives will again win most votes but Labour will win most seats.

My personal view is that unless there's clear evidence the current Coalition has been endorsed (which means the LDs holding most of their seats without the Tories winning a majority) it shouldn't be renewed but nor should a similar arrangement be created with Labour (though I doubt Labour will play ball anyway).

I'm in the 13% (according to TMS) who says the LDs should eschew any Coalition in the next parliament but does that mean any level of support (such as S&C) with Labour is ruled out ? In any case, IF the Conservatives and Labour are close on seats, it won't just be the LDs being courted but the Nationalists, Irish MPs and any others - last time there was really only one permutation on offer for stable majority Government - next time there may be no such permutation or one Party will be so close to a majority as to make an alternative bloc unrealistic.

Of course publicly all parties fight alone and fight to win - privately, I'm sure all types of scenario planning will be undertaken in case the result isn't helpful.

This discussion has been closed.