Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Biden should be a stronger favourite than this to win a second term – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,607
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I really don't believe that Biden will serve his whole term. He has moved on from incoherent to blithering idiot. No doubt he still has lucid moments but he is, in my view, not currently fit for the office he holds. So by 2024 I think we will have President Harris. If she's smart she will bring in Buttigieg as her VP and thus remove the risk of a challenge. He is so much more articulate than anyone I have seen on the American political scene since Bill Clinton was in his pomp.

If it is President Harris then there is a strong chance it will be hello again President Trump in 2024, as has been posted her approval ratings are abysmal compared to Biden.

She would be Hillary 2 and Trump would love to run against her
    Having Trump run against her has to be her best chance. I agree that a half decent Republican would beat her.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

Golly, I hadn't read the whole Neil Oliver GBTV rant, it's a zinger. Looking forward to him playing his part in Bettertogether II.

Wow that is pure mental. Of course, it's worth pointing out that "the few" were fighting for a country that had put in place multiple limitations on personal freedom (conscription, rationing, censorship, internment to name a few of them) so even if you strip away the obligatory WW2 masturbatory froth the argument is just historically illiterate bilge from beginning to end. Where do they find these people?
    The concept of unconditional freedom is interesting.

'I'm a giant man baby and no whim of mine shall be thwarted!'

Oliver is one of the bigger fuds BetterTogether2 would be well advised to steer well clear of. It has long been clear that he is an extremist, but he is displaying strong signs of a diagnosis now. How much longer will the BBC put up with him tarnishing their reputation?
    If Sir Keir Starmer or Burnham become PM and finally allow an indyref2 in 5 or 10 years time whether they wish Oliver to join a BetterTogether2 would be up to them.

Personally I think he is an excellent historian
    He’s not an historian, he’s an archaeologist, a political provocateur and a total bampot.

Scottish independence voting intention:

Yes: 48.1% (-6.1)
    No: 51.9% (+6.1)

via
    @BritainElects
    poll tracker, 24 Jun
    Chgs. w/ 13 Jan

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1422473591250169881?s=20

Yippee. Go for it Govey!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,692
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I really don't believe that Biden will serve his whole term. He has moved on from incoherent to blithering idiot. No doubt he still has lucid moments but he is, in my view, not currently fit for the office he holds. So by 2024 I think we will have President Harris. If she's smart she will bring in Buttigieg as her VP and thus remove the risk of a challenge. He is so much more articulate than anyone I have seen on the American political scene since Bill Clinton was in his pomp.

If it is President Harris then there is a strong chance it will be hello again President Trump in 2024, as has been posted her approval ratings are abysmal compared to Biden.

Having Trump run against her has to be her best chance. I agree that a half decent Republican would beat her.
    Find thee a half decent Republican..
  • Brexit, obvs.....

The shortage of foreign seasonal workers has forced some businesses in places like Old Orchard Beach, Maine, to limit their hours or close for an extra day a week.Tristan Spinski for The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/02/business/economy/seasonal-foreign-guest-workers.html

Not sure the US government has recently made it much harder for businesses to recruit temporary staff and to guarantee the food supply chain. The UK government has. It could be that there are significant gaps on the shelves of US supermarkets just as there are in British ones right now. Any news on that? It certainly doesn't seem to be happening in the rest of Europe.

*** WARNING WARNING WARNING ***

Another derangement alert.

You need to get out of the echo chamber and visit a supermarket.

I do. Unlike you, it seems.

HYUFD said:

Golly, I hadn't read the whole Neil Oliver GBTV rant, it's a zinger. Looking forward to him playing his part in Bettertogether II.

Wow that is pure mental. Of course, it's worth pointing out that "the few" were fighting for a country that had put in place multiple limitations on personal freedom (conscription, rationing, censorship, internment to name a few of them) so even if you strip away the obligatory WW2 masturbatory froth the argument is just historically illiterate bilge from beginning to end. Where do they find these people?
    The concept of unconditional freedom is interesting.

'I'm a giant man baby and no whim of mine shall be thwarted!'

Oliver is one of the bigger fuds BetterTogether2 would be well advised to steer well clear of. It has long been clear that he is an extremist, but he is displaying strong signs of a diagnosis now. How much longer will the BBC put up with him tarnishing their reputation?
    If Sir Keir Starmer or Burnham become PM and finally allow an indyref2 in 5 or 10 years time whether they wish Oliver to join a BetterTogether2 would be up to them.

Personally I think he is an excellent historian
    He’s not an historian, he’s an archaeologist, a political provocateur and a total bampot.
    Never trust a man over 35 with “romantic long hair”.
    I belong to the barbershop school of male hair fashion. Over 35 desist with the fannying about. A short back and sides is the only acceptable route. And if you start going bald (there are minor indications now I’m into my second half century) then just do it with a bit of grace and dignity. Fighting mother nature rarely ends well.
  • eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Why do you think Pete Buttigieg has got infrastructure - that was to ensure there was multiple plausible candidates for president were Biden not to run as everyone knew Harris wasn't that suitable.

There is no guarantee Buttigieg would get the nomination, certainly not against the incumbent VP/President he would likely fail to do so.

Plus he would also be challenged from the left by the likes of AOC as a corporate sell out
    AOC won't stand - she is very much in it for the long, long game - the fact you think she might shows how little you know about Democrat politics...

Of course she will stand if the President does not run for re election. In fact on the latest Democratic primary poll she does better than Buttigieg, though Harris is still well in front if Biden does not run again

Harris 31%
    Michelle Obama 19% (who certainly won't run)
    Ocasio-Cortez 5%
    Abrams 5%
    Buttigieg 4%
    Booker 3%
    Yang 3%
    Klobuchar 3%
    Cuomo 2%
    https://mclaughlinonline.com/pols/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/National-Monthly-Omnibus-6-21-21-Release.pdf
    Again you show how little you know - the left's choice in the 2024 campaign will be Cori Bush, if they wish to run someone.

AOC is simply too young and there are other options for 24.
    I could see Nina Turner running for the left in that scenario. She also has a lot of strengths.

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,641

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

What an extraordinary coincidence that the best person to be on the anti-sleaze watchdog just happened to be an old chum of Johnsons from his Bullingdon Club days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-sleaze-committee-standards-public-life-b1895212.html

That is wrong IMO.

However, I remember some Corbyn fans on here defending McDonnell employing Corbyn's son in a taxpayer-funded role. By an astonishing coincidence, the son of his best bud was the best candidate for the job.

(Hint, he wasn't.)

If we want to stop people hiring friends, family and chums to roles, especially to taxpayer-funded roles, then it needs to apply equally to all.
    I don't think I have ever defended cronyism in the Labour Party either.

The nepotism and Chumocracy does show how illusory "taking back control" was.
    Jobs for the sons and daughters of friends is as old as jobs themselves. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes it's not the best way of hiring someone but sometimes it can work. Rather depends on how how up the chain the job is.
    That's the Indy. And there seems to be not a shred of actual evidence of malpractice.

Has anyone provided any evidence that Johnson had a corrupt role in the process, or how the process worked such that Johnson could manipulate it? Or that the member appointed is unfit to be on the Committee or is corrupt?

Or is this just Hoof-in-Mouth Rayner howling at the moon because it is Tuesday and she still does not have anything to say?

"You were in a student club with him 35 years ago" is some way beyond farfetched.

The only possible chink I can see is if the PM is supplied with say 50 names, from which he then gets to choose who he wants, and that would still require a lot more evidence that we have.

It's quite a dangerous argument to make because it shrinks the pool of acceptable candidates - 'No, you went to the same school when you were six!" - and undermines the expectation of personal integrity.
    Read it. 173 applicants, appointment made by the government after scrutiny by advisory panel. So exactly the scenario yield accept would stink, but about 3 and a half times worse. And a 20 person dining club at University is not equivalent to same school when you were six.
    From a short list. Number on short list not specified. All on short list vetted as appropriate.

Mr Johnson was given the ultimate say on which of the candidates to appoint following a shortlisting process led by Lord Evans, the chair of the committee.
    Shocked to see Lady Haw Haw supporting the Tory Overlord
This discussion has been closed.