Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Alastair Meeks says Tory voters are crackers here – it is hard to disagree – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2021 in General
Alastair Meeks says Tory voters are crackers here – it is hard to disagree – politicalbetting.com

At a time of sharp labour shortages, Conservatives' top issue is immigration? They're crackers. https://t.co/OEQhFC8LiP

Read the full story here

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,236
    Meeks is a brilliant chap, but when I look at his Twitter profile, I see that he has..... 845 followers

I can't help feeling his Twitter bio might be an issue

"I'll tweet about pensions, politics and anything else that interests me."

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    We have labour shortages ?

I seem to remember mass unemployment being predicted.

As to the effect of immigration on these labour shortages doesn't that depend on how immigrants and job vacancies correlate ?

And if they don't then its pay rises, capital investment and productivity increases.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,335
    I haven't heard from him in ages on PB.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Admittedly having seen the figures on the boat crossings this year perhaps immigration, of that kind at least, should be a higher priority than it is for me, coming in near the bottom, but it does still seem strange that it is so high a one for Tories. Beating out healthcare and the economy in the present circumstances takes some doing.

I am interested that Education is number three for Labour voters.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1420676732399595521

Interesting. Though the numbers show this top 3 are a statistical dead heat, 47-46-46, among Conservatives with education lagging on 19%. Labour numbers 62-33-32 show a much stronger priority to health as an issue, with immigration lagging on 18% in 10th place for Lab voters

I find the colours in the linked chart a bit hard on the eye, but it seems as though Economy is top for LDs, and Healthcare does not include Coronavirus Restrictions, which is their own category.
    I regret to inform PB lefties that Boris wrestling with an umbrella has now gone globally viral, and not in a good way for those that loathe him

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1420779759655587849?s=20

It's an interesting contrast with Macron and the flowers
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    No, disagree. The labour shortages exist because some people have plenty of cash for their short-term needs and don't have to work. More generally, immigration at current levels is not a problem for the UK as a whole or even for the Tory voting part.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    We shouldn't ignore that 1.9 million* are still on furlough, and a fair chunk of those unfortunately won't have a job to go back to.

* I think this is right off the top of my head, willing to be corrected...but point still stands, for another 1-2 months, we have a load of the labour force still being paid not to work in jobs that don't exist anymore.
    I'm not sure I buy this, even with the relatively stable climate argument.

UK and Ireland among five nations most likely to survive a collapse of global civilisation, study suggest

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-and-ireland-among-five-nations-most-likely-to-survive-a-collapse-of-global-civilisation-study-suggests-12366136?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729
    Maybe the immigration Tory voters in the poll are concerned about is the asylum seekers in Kent rather than economic migrants from the EU
    US President Joe Biden has called for states to give $100 (£71) to the newly vaccinated in an effort to address flagging jab rates amid virus surges.

Won't that piss off all those that went and got their done?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911

We shouldn't ignore that 1.9 million* are still on furlough, and a fair chunk of those unfortunately won't have a job to go back to.

* I think this is right off the top of my head, willing to be corrected...but point still stands, for another 1-2 months, we have a load of the labour force still being paid not to work in jobs that don't exist anymore.

I'm sure they mentioned "2 million" on the SKY papers review just now.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729
    An interesting article in the FT about why Brits just don’t go for these jobs. The Labour market has evolved to the point where not having access to EU Labour makes it tricky for employers. The work is almost designed for those with no dependents nor desire to make a life here

https://www.ft.com/content/1c489fb7-2840-4810-b3e6-a036803edf5c
    edited July 2021
    isam said:

An interesting article in the FT about why Brits just don’t go for these jobs. The Labour market has evolved to the point where not having access to EU Labour makes it tricky for employers. The work is almost designed for those with no dependents nor desire to make a life here

This was the issue with the call to go and pick fruit and veg in the fields. You now need to commit to several months living on site in a caravan with a load of other people, working 6-7 days a week, morning, noon and night.

That immediately rules out anybody with kids, anybody with a significant other who doesn't also want to go and live in a caravan with a load of other strangers, etc.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    Labour shortages = higher wages.

Labour shortages leads to a change in the balance of power between labour and capital.

Throughout English history, the periods when the lot of the common man has been at its zenith has been the periods of labour shortages.

Labour shortages are nothing most people to fear.

But if you aren't worried by an apparently effectively infinite supply of immigrants with significantly different cultural values arriving on the south coast, I suspect you haven't really been paying attention this last 20 years.
    edited July 2021

isam said:

This was the issue with the call to go and pick fruit and veg in the fields. You now need to commit to several months living on site in a caravan with a load of other people, working 6-7 days a week, morning, noon and night.

That immediately rules out anybody with kids, anybody with a significant other who doesn't also want to go and live in a caravan with a load of other strangers, etc.
    Those of us with soft hands. I've been told mine are like butter wrapped in silk, I have to be careful.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    Only "crackers" if you think that all people are interchangeable with one another, and no-one has any kind of special skills, talents or abilities that make them more employable in particular industries than other people.

Presumably, Mr Meeks' firm acquires new trainees by walking through third world refugee camps and asking who wants to be a lawyer?
    edited July 2021
    Should also say with the jobs like fruit / veg picking, its often piece work or you are expected minimum amount per hour and there is a skill to doing it, that can take a while to learn.

As a student, i packed spuds one summer. You had to pack i think 4 tonnes of spuds per hour per line, and the line was set at the rate to ensure that target. If you didn't learn the technique to packing, you would be knee deep in spuds in no time.

At the time, there wasn't the EU labour, so they took students at busy times and trained them up, but that meant a slow down for a week or two while they got the hang of it. And of course, students wanted days off or quit because it was hard labour and would ask for shifts to be moved around so they could see friends or the girlfriend / boyfriend.

Now, why bother with that, just hire people who go around europe doing this and already have the skills to run at the required rate, and will commit to 2-3 months living and working on site.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Yes, it was 1.9 million, that does refer to the beginning of the month, and it is as yet unclear how many left foughlow during the month, some workers e.g. night club workers can now go back to there normal jobs.
    Crickey...HBO has released The Prince, from some people behind Family Guy, still containing Prince Philip as a character and gags about has he kicked the bucket yet.....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,613
    isam said:

Jobs that support you living in a room in an HMO. A bedroom with a padlock on the door. So, if you don't go an blow your earnings by doing something crazy, like going to the pub, you get to save some money for when you leave...
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    They're all wrong.

1. Environment
    2. Environment
    3. Environment
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Con gain in Basildon, Lab gain in South Tyneside. But there may be legal issues in the latter.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,613
    Cookie said:

Labour shortages = higher wages.

Labour shortages leads to a change in the balance of power between labour and capital.

Throughout English history, the periods when the lot of the common man has been at its zenith has been the periods of labour shortages.

Labour shortages are nothing most people to fear.

But if you aren't worried by an apparently effectively infinite supply of immigrants with significantly different cultural values arriving on the south coast, I suspect you haven't really been paying attention this last 20 years.

To be fair, there are lots of people who fear labour shortages.

A factory owner of my aquaintance, for instance. His plan (implemented) was to use his family connections and the fact he spoke the language to import workers from a certain Eastern European country to work in his factory. When they learnt English and started asking for unpleasant things, such as their legal rights, he went and got some more.

Should we start a charity to support people like him?
    A sign of the times - in order to board the Queen Elisabeth you have to take a covid test. But in order to receive the results you must have a mobile phone. Given the age profile of guests is this possible?
  • YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158
    edited July 2021
    "Mr/Ms Voter, what's your top issue? Is it the economy, immigration, education, health, housing, or employment?" That really is such a f***ing stupid question, even if the punter is asked to give a ranking. Ask Dominic Cummings. He wrote (I haven't got the year) that all focus groups that opened freely before they were given specific areas to discuss always started on immigration.

That's why Brexit happened. The population tried for years to send governments and the political class a message and they didn't listen. Personally I don't agree with the message, but so what?

That kind of survey question is reminiscent of Jorge Luis Borges's "Celestial Emporium of Benevolent Knowledge ", which divides animals into 14 categories:

* those belonging to the Emperor
    * embalmed ones
    * trained ones
    * suckling pigs
    * mermaids (or sirens)
    * fabled ones
    * stray dogs
    * those included in this classification
    * those that tremble as if they were mad
    * innumerable ones
    * those drawn with a very fine camel hair brush
    * et cetera
    * those that have just broken the vase
    * those that from afar look like flies

"Australian points system" is a massively prevalent meme in the population, and so is "letting an asylum seekers' boat sink".
    edited July 2021
    CDC Director Walensky says new masking advice was largely based on soon-to-be-published data showing that virus can thrive in the airways of vaccinated people, even if they're asymptomatic - NYT

UK government U-Turn required?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

CDC Director Walensky says new masking advice was largely based on soon-to-be-published data showing that virus can thrive in the airways of vaccinated people, even if they're asymptomatic - NYT

UK government U-Turn required?

The CDC's communications over the last few weeks have been shockingly bad. What does "thrive" mean there?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

isam said:

So what you're saying is that if we don't have access to an unlimited pool of labour, then employers may have to improve pay and conditions to attract employees?

Oh the horror! The horror! With apologies to Jasper Conrad.
    slade said:

Con gain in Basildon, Lab gain in South Tyneside. But there may be legal issues in the latter.

Issues such as?
    slade said:

A sign of the times - in order to board the Queen Elisabeth you have to take a covid test. But in order to receive the results you must have a mobile phone. Given the age profile of guests is this possible?

I believe most older people now have mobile phones. They may be more likely than other demographics to not have one, but I'd bet it is a comfortable majority.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    isam said:

Yes, the model seems to be broken. There is obviously a price point at which they'd be able to recruit people - many people would do it for, say, £1000/day. But it'd probably be cheaper to install some decent living conditions. Would it still make strawberries so expensive that domestic producers all went out of business?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

isam said:

So what you're saying is that if we don't have access to an unlimited pool of labour, then employers may have to improve pay and conditions to attract employees?

I take it you mean Joseph? Jasper Conrad wrote wordy stream of consciousness false narrator epics about women's fashions.
  • dixiedean said:

isam said:

I take it you mean Joseph? Jasper Conrad wrote wordy stream of consciousness false narrator epics about women's fashions.
    He might have meant Jasper Carrot
    Israel COVID update: Vaccine booster approved for those 60 and older

- New cases: 1,823
    - Average: 1,725 (+55)
    - In hospital: 263 (-)
    - In ICU: 32 (-2)
    - New deaths: 4

Population vaccinated:
    - 1st dose: 62.14% (+0.03)
    - 2nd dose: 57.58% (+0.10)
    - 3rd dose: 00.02%
    kle4 said:

slade said:

Issues such as?
    John Robertson was formerly married to Jay Potts sister. There is also a question as to whether Robertson was legally entitled to stand given his past record.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

isam said:

Jasper Conrad? Was he the one that wrote Funky Moped to the Heart of Darkness?
    Lib Dems have won the town council seat in Harrogate so will probably win the borough seat as well.
    slade said:

Lib Dems have won the town council seat in Harrogate so will probably win the borough seat as well.

Confirmed - huge swing to the Lib Dems.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

isam said:

I think he could mean Joseph Carrot.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited July 2021
    slade said:

kle4 said:

slade said:

Issues such as?
    John Robertson was formerly married to Jay Potts sister. There is also a question as to whether Robertson was legally entitled to stand given his past record.
    Surely that ought to have been cleared up before the election?
    Besides which. Didn't he lose?
    Of what relevance is whom he was married to?
  • YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158

isam said:

That is epic trolling! Five catches in 38 minutes.
    dixiedean said:

He might have meant Jasper Carrot

The tale of savagery about travelling up the Grand Union Canal into deepest Birmingham?

I think he could mean Joseph Carrot.

• NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    I'm not sure calling people crackers is justified as Mr Meeks probably knows. I am happy to accept asylum seekers, and would-be happy with significant levels of economic migration so long as relevant insurance was paid for NHS cover and no significant rights accrue unless the migrant wants to make the UK their home through residency or citizenship.

What I find offensive is that migrants are allowed to travel across Europe to travel to the UK and claim asylum when there must have been multiple safe places to claim asylum en route.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Another fourth place in the rowing for the plucky Brit. In fairness, sculling is hard work.
    edited July 2021
    tlg86 said:

Another fourth place in the rowing for the plucky Brit. In fairness, sculling is hard work.

How many 4ths in the rowing is that now? 5?

Probably going to get another 4th in the 8 man as well....
    Defund the poshos in the rowing.....
    Loser Woke Britain
    edited July 2021

tlg86 said:

Bronze, so that’s something at least. First Olympics since 1980 that we haven’t won a rowing gold, and back then we were up against the might of the GDR and the Soviet Union:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowing_at_the_1980_Summer_Olympics
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Wtf beaten by the Germans and the kiwis in the men's coxxed 8s - what's the point of the fucking boat race ?!
    Pulpstar said:

Wtf beaten by the Germans and the kiwis in the men's coxxed 8s - what's the point of the fucking boat race ?!

Too many foreigners in the blue boats.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Bronze, so that’s something at least. First Olympics since 1980 that we haven’t won a rowing gold, and back then we up against the might of the GDR and the Soviet Union:

We decided to take money away from them because it’s ‘posh’
    I’m done with this. Thank god we have defunded ‘toxic masculinity’ in Olympic sports
    I expect the #1 concern refers to people arriving by dinghy....
    & Jumping the queue is seen as a hanging offence by the GB public
    edited July 2021
    BREAKING: Biden orders vaccine mandate for all 1.5 million members of the U.S. military - NYT
    BREAKING: U.S. reports 96,085 new coronavirus cases, biggest one-day increase since February

Its going to be ugly in US when delta sweeps through all the anti-vaxxers.
    edited July 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Bronze, so that’s something at least. First Olympics since 1980 that we haven’t won a rowing gold, and back then we were up against the might of the GDR and the Soviet Union:

It never even looked like being in the running for winning any of them through heats or in the finals.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Bronze, so that’s something at least. First Olympics since 1980 that we haven’t won a rowing gold, and back then we up against the might of the GDR and the Soviet Union:

We decided to take money away from them because it’s ‘posh’
    No, the reduction in funding for poshos in boats is for Paris 2024. Funding was maintained for Tokyo 2020. And it is not that they are posh but that the number of sports being funded has increased. At least, that is what reports seem to say.

However, some of the most successful sports for Great Britain have lost out for Paris. Rowing funding has been cut by almost 10 per cent, to £22,212,008, as has swimming (11.4 per cent), equestrian (11.6 per cent), modern pentathlon (20 per cent), sailing (4 per cent) and athletics (3.6 per cent).
    https://www.skysports.com/olympics/news/15234/12166664/rowing-and-sailing-among-sports-facing-funding-cuts-ahead-of-2024-olympics

This page lists the amount per sport. Cycling gets an increase.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/55367946
    Leon said:

I’m done with this. Thank god we have defunded ‘toxic masculinity’ in Olympic sports

The IOC even allow men to identify as female for the women’s coxed eight...

Our golfers, while we are talking about posh sports, Paul Casey and Tommy Fleetwood, are both on -3 as the second round gets under way. They could win from there but so could three dozen others. The leader is on -8.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/leaderboard

(Women's golf is next week.)
    edited July 2021
    Another medal...bronze for the moment... might have to wait 10 years to see if an upgrade.

Our golfers, while we are talking about posh sports, Paul Casey and Tommy Fleetwood, are both on -3 as the second round gets under way. They could win from there but so could three dozen others. The leader is on -8.

McIlroy going well today. Annoyingly it’s not on TV at the moment. Hopefully the final round will be.
    I know there are a lot more swimming events than rowing, but Team GB are getting so many swimmers into the finals. Where as the rowing, they didn't even make the finals of loads of events.
    I think the golf should be an amateur event. I also think they should do two rounds of stroke play with the top 16 qualifying for a match play knockout competition on the third and fourth days.
    edited July 2021
    tlg86 said:

I think the golf should be an amateur event. I also think they should do two rounds of stroke play with the top 16 qualifying for a match play knockout competition on the third and fourth days.

Matchplay would be more exciting.
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Naughty! The cox can be the "wrong" sex for men's and women's rowing. Not sure why but it is a long-standing anomaly and has nothing to do with trans issues.

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Naughty! The cox can be the "wrong" sex for men's and women's rowing. Not sure why but it is a long-standing anomaly and has nothing to do with trans issues.
    The presenter on the BBC said this was the first time it’s been allowed at the Olympics. Obviously it doesn’t matter, though I’m not sure the cox deserves a medal. I guess they think it would be a bit hard hearted not to give them one.

And anyway, that cox in the kiwi boat was a hobbit not a man.
    edited July 2021
    Lol....big boob by BBC left the mics on and just heard all the presenters in the studio.
    edited July 2021
    Rowing boats were dominated by New Zealand, mainly in the last hour today when the Kiwis picked up two Golds and a Silver. Of the 14 rowing gold medals, three went to New Zealand, two to Australia, and one each to a bunch of countries that are not Britain.
    https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/rowing/medal-standings.htm
    Silver for Duncan Scott in the 200m medley.
    edited July 2021

Rowing boats were dominated by New Zealand, mainly in the last hour today when the Kiwis picked up two Golds and a Silver. Of the 14 rowing gold medals, three went to New Zealand, two to Australia, and one each to a bunch of countries that are not Britain.
    https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/rowing/medal-standings.htm

I wonder how much no lockdown helped? One of those sports which requires both insane fitness but also team coordination.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

The presenter on the BBC said this was the first time it’s been allowed at the Olympics. Obviously it doesn’t matter, though I’m not sure the cox deserves a medal. I guess they think it would be a bit hard hearted not to give them one.

And anyway, that cox in the kiwi boat was a hobbit not a man.
    That might be the case but the same cox was at the World Championships and other teams have had women coxing men, even at the Boat Race.
    We seem to be going OK in the tiny bike event
    Pulpstar said:

We seem to be going OK in the tiny bike event

Now nobody buys newspapers, they have to do something....
    Two feeds of a delayed BMX ???????
    Pulpstar said:

Was just about to post the same.
    Pulpstar said:

Somebody at the BBC snoozing at the wheel again.

Pulpstar said:

Was just about to post the same.
    Athletics now on the red button feed while someone chats about bikes on the main one.
    BBC has done it again! Switching away from the boxing to show Bethany's BMX Gold on both feeds.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Alistair's Tweet is crackers. It is ridiculous to say we should not worry about something with century long effects because of the short term point of the economic cycle we are in. The UK has rightly honoured its duty to the Hong Kongers, but realistically that means we have less space for anyone else for a while. Given even a median earner is a net cost to the exchequer, there is no reason we should be letting in anyone below that mark.
    Obviously some immigration is good, but can we really integrate people faster than they are coming when it's almost 600k a year?

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/news/2021/05/19/experimental-and-provisional-official-research-estimates-net-migration-in-year-to-june-2020-to-be-more-than-282000

Boris needs to get a grip on this.
    Standing water on the bend of the running track is unimpressive.
    Labour doing its best to win back those Red Wall seats...

https://mobile.twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1420687613212692483
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Why weren't they told about the opinion polls?

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    6h
    Pitsea North West (Basildon), council by-election result:

CON: 56.5% (+14.8)
    LAB: 30.6% (-16.0)
    BCRP: 5.8% (-3.2)
    LDEM: 4.1% (+1.4)
    REFUK: 1.6% (+1.6)
    FBM: 1.4% (+1.4)

Conservative GAIN from Labour.
    Beth Shriever had to work as a teaching assistant and then later was crowdfunded because UK Sport funded only the male BMX team. It's noticeable the BBC has not settled on a pronunciation of her surname.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited July 2021
    The BBC's first major error of the games.

Mens BMX Final (only lasts 40 seconds) not shown live on BBC1 whilst they show some non medal boxing.

Then BBC1 cuts to Womens BMX Final live literally 5 seconds before it starts.

We win medals in both. After Womens Final, presenter and reporter discuss both GB medals at length, seemingly totally unaware viewers hadn't seen the Mens race (unless they had been on red button).

Then finally, approx 10 minutes later, presenter apologises and BBC1 shows recording of Mens Race, acknowledging we already knew the result.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    More funding to support BNO arrivals from Hong Kong:

https://twitter.com/benedictrogers/status/1420740692024823826?s=20
    MikeL said:

Mens BMX Final (only lasts 40 seconds) not shown live on BBC1 whilst they show some non medal boxing.

We win medals in both. After Womens Final, presenter and reporter discuss both GB medals at length, seemingly totally unaware viewers hadn't seen the Mens race (unless they had been on red button).

Then finally, approx 10 minutes later, presenter apologises and BBC1 shows recording of Mens Race, acknowledging we already knew the result.

The BBC's been a bit all over the place this morning, trying to juggle three or four sports into only two feeds, and not always getting it right. As noted earlier in the thread, at one point they were showing the same event on both feeds.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    FPT
    slade said:

Betting tip. GB to win gold in Mixed Medley swimming and BMX cycling.

:)
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    edited July 2021
    On topic: one suspects that the supposedly "crackers" electorate are more concerned with the boat people than they are with TIG welders and computer programmers.

I know there are a lot more swimming events than rowing, but Team GB are getting so many swimmers into the finals. Where as the rowing, they didn't even make the finals of loads of events.

The rowing squad made quite a lot of finals, they just struggled in them - six fourth place finishes, I believe. GB rowing has ended up without a gold medal for the first time since 1984, apparently, and having been successfully outcompeted by the taekwondo contingent (which, IIRC, consisted of just five fighters.)

I suppose it could be something to do with disruption to team training, although that being said half of the sailing classes are crewed by pairs and the mood music from that direction is really rather positive. More than one pundit has suggested that the departure of the head coach in advance of this tournament might also have something to do with it.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited July 2021
    Ministers are facing growing criticism for putting France on the new “amber plus” travel list, after concerns were raised about whether they focused too much on variant cases in its Réunion Island territory 5,700 miles (9,180 km) from Paris.

The UK foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, admitted on Thursday the decision to impose tougher restrictions on millions of fully vaccinated French citizens and Britons holidaying or living across the Channel was partly due to the prevalence of the Beta variant on Réunion.

Réunion is still on England’s normal amber list even though the ratio of Beta cases to people is much higher, granting anyone travelling from the island who is fully vaccinated exemption from isolation on arrival, so long as they get two negative tests.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Swimmers from countries with sharks swim more quickly.
    IanB2 said:

Ministers are facing growing criticism for putting France on the new “amber plus” travel list, after concerns were raised about whether they focused too much on variant cases in its Réunion Island territory 5,700 miles (9,180 km) from Paris.

The UK foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, admitted on Thursday the decision to impose tougher restrictions on millions of fully vaccinated French citizens and Britons holidaying or living across the Channel was partly due to the prevalence of the Beta variant on Réunion.

Réunion is still on England’s normal amber list even though the ratio of Beta cases to people is much higher, granting anyone travelling from the island who is fully vaccinated exemption from isolation on arrival, so long as they get two negative tests.

Dominic "Dover-Calais" Raab has no idea about France, has he?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741

Golf really is a sport that shouldn't be anywhere near the Olympics. They already have 4 majors, several major team competitions and umpteen professional tours with massive tournaments 40+ weeks oit of the year.
    Like tennis, you mean?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    ydoethur said:

Golf really is a sport that shouldn't be anywhere near the Olympics. They already have 4 majors, several major team competitions and umpteen professional tours with massive tournaments 40+ weeks oit of the year.
    Like tennis, you mean?
    Whether or not these events belong rather depends on whether your view is that (a) the Games should be as big and as comprehensive as possible or (b) it should be a bit more streamlined, so that the cost of hosting it isn't astronomical (which would also significantly increase the pool of countries that could afford to do so.) Golf and tennis both clearly belong under criterion (a), but arguably not under (b).
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Seriously disappointed. I thought Mr Meeks had returned from his self imposed exile. I hope this tempts him back. His threads were always very interesting.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    MikeL said:

Amateurish presentation. Too many staff are probably involved in the awful..tip and run cricket
This discussion has been closed.