Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Page not found – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Probably already asked, but does Team GB including Northern Ireland?

Yes. Team GB is a branding thing, its is actually the UK Olympic team.
    I had some idea that NI athletes had basically freedom to choose between GB and Ireland in Olympic events.

Interesting that medal tables usually cite “Great Britain”.
    I have corrected it, its is officially they compete as the "Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic" team.

As for which country to compete for, I would imagine given how interlinked families are across the island of Ireland, I wouldn't think it would be very hard to find a grannie who is Irish if you wanted to compete for them rather than Team GB.
    If you are born in NI you can claim an Irish passport.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    MaxPB said:

Starmer really is a gigantic moron isn't he. His plan on vaccine passports is completely incoherent, it's not opposition and it's also not support. I really don't know where he stands on the idea. Is it that tests should be allowed instead of being double jabbed or does a negative test need to be had in addition to a double jab to have a valid entry for clubs and sports venues. I follow this stuff pretty closely and I can't make heads or tails of Labour's position, what hope does man on the street have?!

For a supposed big brained man with forensic abilities on detail, he certainly does a good impression of a total idiot.

Just like his take on moving to Step 4....its all totally reckless, a total gamble, far too rash...so you oppose it, well no, we would do the same but make it law to wear a mask on a train and ask people to open the windows (because our plan on ventilation can't be done in a few weeks, as especially with older buildings it is a complex process)...

And the firebreak....the firebreak....did Mr Detail not look at the mathematical model behind that?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    This is huge news. A total reversal of the previous situation.

"British ethnic minorities have longer life expectancy than white people" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-ethnic-minorities-have-longer-life-expectancy-than-white-people-llwsmv290
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

Floater said:

This is unusually blunt

https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/sebastian-kurz-exklusiv-ich-will-diese-kranke-ideologie-nicht-in-europa-77190376.bild.html

AUSTRIA'S CHANCELLOR BRIEFLY ON IMMIGRANT ISLAMISM
    "I don't want this sick ideology in Europe"

Luckily no Austrian has ever been responsible for any kind of sick ideology.
    Point of order. The person to whom you presumably refer self-identified as Deutsch. Very firmly so.
    Adolf Hilter lived in Austria. As Stuart Dickson lives in Sweden
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Carnyx said:

Floater said:

This is unusually blunt

https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/sebastian-kurz-exklusiv-ich-will-diese-kranke-ideologie-nicht-in-europa-77190376.bild.html

Point of order. The person to whom you presumably refer self-identified as Deutsch. Very firmly so.
    He wasn’t so hot on self-identification though.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Andy_JS said:

Probably already asked, but does Team GB including Northern Ireland?

Yes, it stands for 'Team of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' and for some reason UK Sport refuse to change it to Team UK.
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

Floater said:

This is unusually blunt

To be accurate, Hitler only became a Greater Germany guy after WWI - previously the Austro-Hungarian Empire had too many errrrr...... non-Germans in it for his taste. WIth it reduced to just Austria.....
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Your regular reminder that, contra the dominant narrative of populist-nationalist-xenophobic-racist doom, people are steadily becoming more pro-migration and pro-migrant over time. True in the US, true in the UK, true also in much of Europe

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1419653475290554376?s=20
    MaxPB said:

Starmer really is a gigantic moron isn't he. His plan on vaccine passports is completely incoherent, it's not opposition and it's also not support. I really don't know where he stands on the idea. Is it that tests should be allowed instead of being double jabbed or does a negative test need to be had in addition to a double jab to have a valid entry for clubs and sports venues. I follow this stuff pretty closely and I can't make heads or tails of Labour's position, what hope does man on the street have?!

He wants to oppose the government, but his instinct is always on the side of authoritarianism. So he can't decide what to do when the government proposes authoritarian solutions to problems.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. JS, aye, it's depressing and pathetic.

Still, it's giving me the strange sensation of feeling respect for the Lib Dems. What a crazy world.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Tory MP, Steve Baker: "What do people think that tyranny is? It's this total control over what you do. It's important that you write to your MP."

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1419574109722251265

But my MP is Steve Baker: do you think he would change his mind is I wrote to him in support of the measure?

Tory MP, Steve Baker: "What do people think that tyranny is? It's this total control over what you do. It's important that you write to your MP."

But my MP is Steve Baker: do you think he would change his mind is I wrote to him in support of the measure?
    I'll say this for Steve Baker, he's always struck me as someone who would appreciate the irony if you wrote to him saying you were inspired by his comments but disagreed with his policy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he has a bit of a sense of humour/self-reflection.
    I see Prof Peston still not tweeted any correction for yesterdays fake news.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    @stodge Well done to Newham for avoiding hitting 400 cases per 100k. Tranquil blue in a sea of purple.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    Quincel said:

I'll say this for Steve Baker, he's always struck me as someone who would appreciate the irony if you wrote to him saying you were inspired by his comments but disagreed with his policy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he has a bit of a sense of humour/self-reflection.
    At the least he has proven he is a true member of the awkward squad, unlike someone like Rees-Mogg.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

He wants to oppose the government, but his instinct is always on the side of authoritarianism. So he can't decide what to do when the government proposes authoritarian solutions to problems.
    I don't think it's that he's an authoritarian, it's that he's too gutless to try to lead public opinion, rather than to follow the focus groups and opinion polls that currently show restrictions as being popular.

Dead Ringers have him painfully spot-on in that regard.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

Bring back internment for innumerate journalists in a pandemic.

I'm still shocked that back in April/May 2020 he was shocked to find out that the more tests we carried out we found more positive cases.

This explains a lot, Robert Peston attended the University of Oxford.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Who is Prof Peston and what was yesterdays 'Fake' news? (Sorry, if discussed yesterday, I was away form PB)
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    MaxPB said:

Maybe it's because his main political experience before becoming LOTO was in creating impenetrable positions on Brexit. He thinks that's what opposition is all about.

I'm still shocked that back in April/May 2020 he was shocked to find out that the more tests we carried out we found more positive cases.

I'm shocked you were shocked he was shocked.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MaxPB said:

Maybe it's because his main political experience before becoming LOTO was in creating impenetrable positions on Brexit. He thinks that's what opposition is all about.
    And that worked so well!
    edited July 2021
    BigRich said:

Who is Prof Peston and what was yesterdays 'Fake' news? (Sorry, if discussed yesterday, I was away form PB)
    Robert Peston was tweeting a load of bullshit pushing a fake conspiracy theory that because reinfected cases aren't included in the daily COVID dashboard figures, the government were hiding the number of COVID reinfections and somebody had told them they were significant numbers.

The reality, they are published, anybody can find them, there is no top secret reinfection document that the government are hiding. There is actually PHE figures and ONS survey ones....and as for significant, its approximately 20k potential reinfections (100% confirmed cases are actually 600 or so) out of 5+ million COVID cases.

No, but he wouldn't even have the chance if you don't
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    BigRich said:

Prof Peston is Robert Peston who posted a twitter thread that was based on false information regarding the number of people who have had covid more than once.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Selebian said:

Floater said:

Just heard 32 year old friend of my nephew has died of covid.

His pregnant partner is in intensive care .... with Covid

They have 2 other children

Just get vaccinated FFS.

I'm sorry to hear that.

A friend is a nurse, working in ICU and had a similar story (I forget the exact ages, but a couple again) in the first wave. It brings it home when people younger than you find themselves in that position.
    Thanks

Just to be clear - neither of these 2 were vaccinated - my nephew only got vaxed as his mother nagged the crap out of him - he also was of the view nothing bad would happen if you were young.

Shitty way to learn you got that utterly wrong
    edited July 2021
    Hmm, Joe Root plays for the Trent Rockets and the first test against India starts a week on Wednesday.

Trent Rockets have confirmed they have recorded three positive cases of Covid-19 within their men’s team.

Head coach Andy Flower, along with two other members of the team’s support staff, will be absent from Monday’s (July 26) fixture against Northern Superchargers after returning positive tests.

Steven Mullaney and another member of the team’s support staff have also been withdrawn from the match after being identified as close contacts.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/trentrockets/trent_rockets_confirm_three_positive_covid-19_cases_in_mens_team.html
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Starmer is useless. He won’t win, he can’t win.
    Get rid, but perhaps not yet.

The ideal moment for Burnham is probably 12 months before the next election.
    I’ve just had the mortifying self revelation that Piers Morgan is me, drunk, at about 11pm on PB, posting stuff I kind of half believe, and is sometimes accurate, but is also commonly foolish, and often wildly embarrassing

Except he does it at noon to about 4m people

‘I don’t think Silver and Bronze medals are shameful, but no real champion would ever feel comfortable having one in their trophy cabinet.’

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1419612371803328515?s=21

One of my birthday presents is the new book, "Hitting Against the Spin: How Cricket Really Works" which is about all sorts of data analytics in cricket.

I was surprised to see that one of the authors, CricViz analyst Ben Jones, is actually an English Literature graduate from Cambridge University. So there's no excuse for all the other humanities graduates in the media not being able to handle numbers.
    kle4 said:

I lived in hope that the media would try and understand basic mathematical principles to help them better understand figures in a global pandemic.
    edited July 2021

One of my birthday presents is the new book, "Hitting Against the Spin: How Cricket Really Works" which is about all sorts of data analytics in cricket.

I was surprised to see that one of the authors, CricViz analyst Ben Jones, is actually an English Literature graduate from Cambridge University. So there's no excuse for all the other humanities graduates in the media not being able to handle numbers.
    I think he is a bit of an outlier. I seemed to remember the story goes that he was a total cricket stato throughout university and the guy who setup CricViz sort him out, because of all the work he had seen him already put out there.
    Leon said:

I’ve just had the mortifying self revelation that Piers Morgan is me, drunk, at about 11pm on PB, posting stuff I kind of half believe, and is sometimes accurate, but is also commonly foolish, and often wildly embarrassing

‘I don’t think Silver and Bronze medals are shameful, but no real champion would ever feel comfortable having one in their trophy cabinet.’

Its more sad midlife crisis attention seeking twattering.

We humanities people do use it as a bit of an excuse - I'm sure most people could be statistically literate or scientifically literate if we tried, even if truly complex stuff would be beyond us.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    kle4 said:

https://youtu.be/gbJfRe6iGlo

The University of Cambridge produces all the best people, which also explains why they have so many Nobel laureates than the other place.

MaxPB said:

I guess he's used to not picking a side, because to pick a side then would have risked a split - though it would still probably have been better than the mess of not picking a side.

But politics is about choosing.

You can't please everyone, but you have to try to at least please someone.

kle4 said:

I lived in hope that the media would try and understand basic mathematical principles to help them better understand figures in a global pandemic.
    I honestly dont like to rag on the media too much, but it seems an industry standard for all news and information to be presented in a somewhat startled manner, as if everything that is news is also a surprise. Cases rising after lockdowns ended springs to mind.

Just a tad more context or adjusted tone would make some reporting less misleading.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040

MaxPB said:

The next manifesto should be a laugh. Pages and pages of caveats and exceptions and alternatives.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

kle4 said:

No audience numbers in it though - compared to "Why can we no longer go to (insert country here) on holiday?"

MaxPB said:

The next manifesto should be a laugh. Pages and pages of caveats and exceptions and alternatives.
    Spot the lawyer.....
    Leon said:

Total nonsense from Morgan of course. Most people would be delighted to have a silver or bronze medal from the Olympics.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667

The University of Cambridge produces all the best people, which also explains why they have so many Nobel laureates than the other place.
    It would help if the University of Cambridge produced graduates who could write English...

"...so many ..... than ...." indeed???
  • Piers Morgan doesn't actually think this stuff, he is just trying to get seen, how has nobody seen this yet

Piers Morgan doesn't actually think this stuff, he is just trying to get seen, how has nobody seen this yet

It is a bit try hard for an outrage provocation.
    edited July 2021

Piers Morgan doesn't actually think this stuff, he is just trying to get seen, how has nobody seen this yet

I think it has been mentioned once or twice on here....its the new midlife crisis, Lineker, Fox, Morgan, its all attention seeking / wanting affirmation.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Total nonsense from Morgan of course. Most people would be delighted to have a silver or bronze medal from the Olympics.
    Beyond nonsense. Imagine you’re an incredibly poor athlete from an incredibly poor country, given no chance in some sport, and you produce the performance of your life and you win AN OLYMPIC MEDAL

In front of the world. Your flag flying. I’m trying not to be patronizing and first-world-y but I’ve actually seen this happen in poor countries. The pride is real, and fierce. And it inspires others. Then they go on to win golds, maybe

My god, what a dick. And he has absolutely zero understanding of Olympic sport

MaxPB said:

Spot the lawyer.....
    :lol: Maybe that's it. He still thinks he bills by the hour. So the more he twists and turns and waffles around every possible policy option the more he will earn.

Leon said:

Come now, come now, cut @Leon some slack. He's only just back from the hammer ban.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Beyond nonsense. Imagine you’re an incredibly poor athlete from an incredibly poor country, given no chance in some sport, and you produce the performance of your life and you win AN OLYMPIC MEDAL

In front of the world. Your flag flying. I’m trying not to be patronizing and first-world-y but I’ve actually seen this happen in poor countries. The pride is real, and fierce. And it inspires others. Then they go on to win golds, maybe

You'd have thought Morgan would be steering clear of demeaning professional sportsmen after that humiliating debacle with Brett Lee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCgAqNSAD1U
    I wonder what is the future of people who rely on social media for self esteem, and dopamine hits - let alone an income

Eventually you will always produce an opinion which cancels you, by ridicule or outrage. Unless you are markedly skilled, it is the life of a mayfly
    ClippP said:

It would help if the University of Cambridge produced graduates who could write English...

Autocorrect baby.

Anyhoo any typos and grammatical errors are the fault of my social media team.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Oh, no, I have to...have to...hit the "like" button AGAIN. What is happening?!!!

...and the most effective spies too!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Leon said:

I saw it suggested that every Olympic event include one 'average' person to illustrate just how exceptional these performances are
    Leon said:

I wonder what is the future of people who rely on social media for self esteem, and dopamine hits - let alone an income

Eventually you will always produce an opinion which cancels you, by ridicule or outrage. Unless you are markedly skilled, it is the life of a mayfly

Consider Katie Hopkins. After the cockroach remark she basically died as far as mainstream media went, so she's effectively cancelled, but there's a large enough cesspool of far-right wing fans that she can sustain herself in a smaller fetid pool.

It seems that if you reach a large enough fan base you will always retain some fraction of it, which will cheer you on as you drive yourself into more extreme positions. And you can keep on receiving the approval you seek.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    ClippP said:

@TheScreamingEagles will no doubt explain he's using a Autogrammercheck beta.

MaxPB said:

I seem to remember you supported most of those before being struck by a flash of light on the road to Boston Lincolnshire.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

MaxPB said:

I seem to remember you supported most of those before being struck by a flash of light on the road to Boston Lincolnshire.
    The difference is williamglenn isn't the leader of the opposition.

Leon said:

Consider Katie Hopkins. After the cockroach remark she basically died as far as mainstream media went, so she's effectively cancelled, but there's a large enough cesspool of far-right wing fans that she can sustain herself in a smaller fetid pool.

It seems that if you reach a large enough fan base you will always retain some fraction of it, which will cheer you on as you drive yourself into more extreme positions. And you can keep on receiving the approval you seek.
    Yes. A commonly repeated pattern. Toby Young. Lozza Fox. Chris Williamson. The Corbyns. A C Grayling. David Schneider. It happens on all fringes

It’s a career move, born of necessity, or madness, but quite feasible
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,087

Presumably not that effective.

The most effective spies are the ones nobody knows about.
    Leon said:

Amen to that. And to get any attention at all on social media your opinion needs to be so extreme as to tend to ridicule or outrage.
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

He might make a better job of it perhaps. Then again, I know nothing of his background, but I suspect he would also make a better job of PM than the current incumbent. It is said that a country gets the politicians it deserves. What the feck did the UK do to deserve this lot?
    Nigelb said:

ClippP said:

I tried using a voice to diction service app recently, it really didn't like my working class Northern accent.

Although I was greatly amused by the time it heard 'diarrhoea' and posted 'dire rear' instead which seemed apt.

Maybe they all went to Oxford.
    edited July 2021
    Trump is a traitor....
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1419092430809358338
    Trump has been speaking for more than 90 minutes now. He's currently goading his audience into booing the US women's soccer team.

(Verbose, too.)

Oxford spies were a nest of traitors, for example.

https://cherwell.org/2016/09/27/oxford-spy-ring/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5434139/Oxford-traitor-spied-Russia-revealed.html

Plus, lest we forget, Sir Roger Hollis, Worcester College Oxford and head of MI5, was a Soviet mole.
    Nigelb said:

Trump is a traitor....
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1419092430809358338
    Trump has been speaking for more than 90 minutes now. He's currently goading his audience into booing the US women's soccer team.

(Verbose, too.)

Classic doomsday preacher stuff - go on and on and on, with enough energy, and the audience is putty in your hands.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,087

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

He might make a better job of it perhaps. Then again, I know nothing of his background, but I suspect he would also make a better job of PM than the current incumbent. It is said that a country gets the politicians it deserves. What the feck did the UK do to deserve this lot?
    We did nothing. That's the point.

"The heaviest penalty for declining to rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself." If Plato didn't say it, he jolly well should have.

Leon said:

Your post has an echo

:-)

Nigelb said:

ClippP said:

I tried using a voice to diction service app recently, it really didn't like my working class Northern accent.

Although I was greatly amused by the time it heard 'diarrhoea' and posted 'dire rear' instead which seemed apt.
    Happens to the best

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited July 2021

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

A certain former SPAD wrote a blog and quite a few articles stating that this is what the political system we have produces - generalists who can blag on a subject without any requirement to *know* anything. Indeed, it is a disadvantage.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5434139/Oxford-traitor-spied-Russia-revealed.html

Plus, lest we forget, Sir Roger Hollis, Worcester College Oxford and head of MI5, was a Soviet mole.
    The BEST traitors were from Cambridge though
    So......I wonder what the scores on the doors today will be? Higher....lower.....

No, he wasn't. Just because he tried to reign in the lunatic fantasies of Peter Wright and Co......

I was wondering where the KGB's successors recruit from now to cause mayhem within the British establishment, but then I realised they don't need to, because we are doing such a great job of it ourselves, and the Russians and Chinese buy up our infrastructure and nicking our IP. That said the Russians seem to have caused a massive blue on blue hit with their disinformation war about vaccines!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    DougSeal said:

The BEST traitors were from Cambridge though
    The Cambridge Spies were ... well, if you want to be really paranoid, weren't they given up rather too easily – especially Burgess and Philby – by the KGB, almost as if the Russkies were protecting an even more valuable source?
    Should we be worried about the heat map of Cases by specimen date age demographics?

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=nation&areaName=England
    edited July 2021
    26 July 2021
    Because of technical difficulties in processing England deaths data, today's update is delayed.

UK figures for 26 July 2021: 24,950 new cases | 46,589,211 people have now received the first dose of a vaccine | 37,287,384 have received a 2nd dose

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

A certain former SPAD wrote a blog and quite a few articles stating that this is what the political system we have produces - generalists who can blag on a subject without any requirement to *know* anything. Indeed, it is a disadvantage.
    I have posted on here before about the lack of educational diversity in the cabinet (only one scientist). It is exactly what most sensible corporations are now looking to avoid.
    DougSeal said:

moonshine said:

Candy said:

Quincel said:

On a tangent, I believe Andy Murray is much more interesting than we see and the mumbling is an intentional act. As a young player he was once interviewed and mentioned in football he supports 'Scotland, and whoever plays England of course' as a joke. But his rather dry tone and the media's lack of subtlety meant that there were a spate of headlines about his rude Scottish arrogance. He decided after to be as un-newsworthy as possible in future so he could focus on the tennis.

The reason Andy Murray doesn't like talking much to the press, is because the press kept asking him about Dunblane (he was an eight-year-old hiding in a classroom in that school when the massacre happened).

He was uncomfortable with that - he's not into the recent fashion of talking about trauma and victimhood in childhood.

His mumbling and brusqueness has been successful in that most people don't know about the Dunblane thing and only know that he was the Wimbledon Champion.
    I’ve always found Andy Murray a breath of fresh air in interviews. He tends to be quite gracious in defeat and gives thoughtful technical answers about the performance and relative strengths of both he and his opponent.
    His “anyone but England” comment was completely misrepresented too. Herman and BBC bod were roundly taking the piss out of Scotland not qualifying in 2006 and his response was lighthearted in the same context. But the way the press reported it cost him support. I wouldn’t trust the media in all those circumstances
    Search Youtube for Mock the Week Andy Murray and there are several instances of Murray being a good sport on that show.

26 July 2021
    Because of technical difficulties in processing England deaths data, today's update is delayed.

UK figures for 26 July 2021: 24,950 new cases | 46,589,211 people have now received the first dose of a vaccine | 37,287,384 have received a 2nd dose

Lock the rugrats up.....that will get COVID sorted.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    We've got an update coming on the Westminster VI / Party / Leadership approval front that avid watchers of "the narrowing" won't want to miss. Be waiting for @Survation in around 30 minutes time...
    https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/1419675112551370755
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

26 July 2021

That's nearly 50% down on 19 July. 😲

Interestingly so far at least according to the dashboard, positives are falling faster than tests are.

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think it's that he's an authoritarian, it's that he's too gutless to try to lead public opinion, rather than to follow the focus groups and opinion polls that currently show restrictions as being popular.

Starmer is a lawyer, so perhaps it is natural, when faced with any problem, to solve it by passing yet another law. It would be interesting to know if Prime Ministers like Blair and Thatcher passed more laws per year than governments led by non-lawyers.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

26 July 2021

Interestingly so far at least according to the dashboard, positives are falling faster than tests are.
    Delta is just doing what it did in India.
    Just reading the Mail story about the Lancet, and failing to see what the fuss is about.
    I'm not the greatest fan of the Lancet, but they peer-reviewed and published the paper in question in 'just over a week', while the author alerted others, including a contact at the WHO, within 24 hours.

Why anyone would expect the Lancet editor to have the judgment to raise a worldwide alarm is in any event beyond me.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

26 July 2021

The danger is that the govt may start thinking that as cases come down they will want to take increasingly aggressive measures against potential imported variants.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    "We’re going to see big delays in October. The checks that are currently being done by the Irish State on goods coming into the country [from outside the EU] will be done by the UK on goods going into the UK, so if we get treated how we’re treating them at the minute I can see massive delays.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0724/1237036-brexit-exporters-ireland/
    edited July 2021

26 July 2021

34,657 last Monday in England. Decent drop.

EDIT - see that the 24,950 is today's UK total. Last Monday the UK recorded 39,950. Those with tin hats will be pointing at the round 15,000 drop no doubt.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    We remove a massive source of the unvaccinated milling around amongst each other for 8 hours a day and cases fall :p
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

Floater said:

This is unusually blunt

To be accurate, Hitler only became a Greater Germany guy after WWI - previously the Austro-Hungarian Empire had too many errrrr...... non-Germans in it for his taste. WIth it reduced to just Austria.....
    Interesting fact - Hitler was stripped of Austrian citizenship in 1925, but didn’t receive German citizenship until 1932 when he needed it to stand in the Presidential elections. For seven years, he was stateless.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880
    Pulpstar said:

We remove a massive source of the unvaccinated milling around amongst each other for 8 hours a day and cases fall :p

Odd isn’t it. Seen in Scotland, predicted by some in here (me included) yet the doom sayers didn’t see it coming. No sign of @chris. I’m worried for him.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    edited July 2021
    DougSeal said:

26 July 2021

34,657 last Monday in England. Decent drop.
    28% drop Monday-on-Monday. That's very encouraging.

ETA: Ah - UK.

So 38% - even more encouraging!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

I have posted on here before about the lack of educational diversity in the cabinet (only one scientistperson who successfully graduated from kindergarten). It is exactly what most sensible corporations are now looking to avoid.
    FTFY.

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Starmer is a lawyer, so perhaps it is natural, when faced with any problem, to solve it by passing yet another law. It would be interesting to know if Prime Ministers like Blair and Thatcher passed more laws per year than governments led by non-lawyers.
    It is called the legislature for a reason!

DougSeal said:

moonshine said:

Candy said:

Quincel said:

On a tangent, I believe Andy Murray is much more interesting than we see and the mumbling is an intentional act. As a young player he was once interviewed and mentioned in football he supports 'Scotland, and whoever plays England of course' as a joke. But his rather dry tone and the media's lack of subtlety meant that there were a spate of headlines about his rude Scottish arrogance. He decided after to be as un-newsworthy as possible in future so he could focus on the tennis.

The reason Andy Murray doesn't like talking much to the press, is because the press kept asking him about Dunblane (he was an eight-year-old hiding in a classroom in that school when the massacre happened).

He was uncomfortable with that - he's not into the recent fashion of talking about trauma and victimhood in childhood.

His mumbling and brusqueness has been successful in that most people don't know about the Dunblane thing and only know that he was the Wimbledon Champion.
    I’ve always found Andy Murray a breath of fresh air in interviews. He tends to be quite gracious in defeat and gives thoughtful technical answers about the performance and relative strengths of both he and his opponent.
    His “anyone but England” comment was completely misrepresented too. Herman and BBC bod were roundly taking the piss out of Scotland not qualifying in 2006 and his response was lighthearted in the same context. But the way the press reported it cost him support. I wouldn’t trust the media in all those circumstances
    Search Youtube for Mock the Week Andy Murray and there are several instances of Murray being a good sport on that show.
    And also of his reputation working for him as planned. A memorable joke about him proposing to his fiance (at the time) and telling her she'd made him 'The happiest man alive' in a dull monotone, for example.
This discussion has been closed.