Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not making the promised June 21 lockdown end is going to be controversial – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Palestine and Israel, it seems one can support Israel's right to exist, and to actively defend itself against external attacks, but also be horrified by the continued and creeping annexation of Israel's neighbours via settlements, and the willingness of many (otherwise perfectly sensible) people to defend Israel's creation of an apartheid state in Palestine.

And it seems that the two sides seem very unwilling to even acknowledge these issues. Supporters of Palestine reply with Whatabout... While supporters of Israel do the same.

The other side's intransigence allows one to avoid absolutely all consideration of whether one's own side is behaving morally.

There remains a fundament question that needs to be settled: are the West Bank and Gaza part of Israel or not?

If they are, then those people that were born and live there are Israeli citizens, and need to be given the same rights as every other Israeli citizen.

If they are not, then Israelis have no right to settle in Palestine, and the Palestinians have the same rights of self governance as anyone else.

Which is it, boys?

I don't agree, at all. There's a clear majority in Israel in support of a two/three state solution in principle. The problem is finding a negotiation partner who is willing and able to guarantee the safety of Israel's borders following any such deal. Abbas and the PLO aren't able, and Hamas aren't willing.

There is also a host of intermediary problems to clear first, starting with: how do you resolve the fact that Gaza and the West Bank can't be part of the same contiguous state without dividing Israel into two instead? That alone is enough to nix the initial negotiations, even before you get to the really thorny questions like how what you do with East Jerusalem, and continuing Jewish access to sites like Hebron.
    If I were a Palestinian living in the occupied territories, I would support Hamas.

Obviously.

Because I would have an Israeli occupying force in my country. Pushing other Palestinians off the land with guns.

Why wouldn't you support the one group willing to fight back and inflict pain on the people who are inflicting pain on you?

Put your empathy cap on for a second, and ask who you'd support if you were a Palestinian? You'd be throwing rocks at Israeli military vehicles, not hoping they would deign to offer you something in the future.

Irrespective of your views regarding the Israeli public, the reality is that Israeli government policy is to give monetary subsidies and military support to those who wish to settle in the occupied territories.

I suppose a question to ask is why didn't Hamas give the let's all get along strategy a go in Gaza.

As I understand it they never did.

I think that is informing to a large extent the Israeli response.
    The problems stem from 1948 when both sides were intent on not all getting along and living together. Hard to single Hamas out for that particular criticism.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Absolutely mind-boggling UFO news clip from NBC. They are taking this very seriously in America

"The world is getting a glimpse at leaked military radar readings showing possible UFO activity near a Navy warship off the coast of California.
    @GadiNBC has more"

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1398262582599815172?s=20

I have no independent way of knowing how boggled to be; not difficult to film a space invaders screen while having people off camera saying Holy shit dude in American accents. I agree with you that the US authorities can't explain this stuff, but all that's happening is that they have stopped pretending nothing is happening, when we knew something was happening all along anyway. So how much further forward will we actually be?
    Did we really "know" something was happening "all along anyway"? Did we *know* that we were being buzzed by inexplicable aircraft that can apparently bend - or smash - the laws of physics?!

I never got that memo. Maybe that's why I'm fascinated
    Some people are apathetic about this story because they’ve always been generally aware of the UFO phenomena and can’t get excited about it unless something changes that will affect their life. Namely, confirmed contact. No idea if Ismael is in this bucket but I’ve spoken to a few people recently who are.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Absolutely mind-boggling UFO news clip from NBC. They are taking this very seriously in America

"The world is getting a glimpse at leaked military radar readings showing possible UFO activity near a Navy warship off the coast of California.
    @GadiNBC has more"

I have no independent way of knowing how boggled to be; not difficult to film a space invaders screen while having people off camera saying Holy shit dude in American accents. I agree with you that the US authorities can't explain this stuff, but all that's happening is that they have stopped pretending nothing is happening, when we knew something was happening all along anyway. So how much further forward will we actually be?
    Did we really "know" something was happening "all along anyway"? Did we *know* that we were being buzzed by inexplicable aircraft that can apparently bend - or smash - the laws of physics?!

I have always accepted that a minority of ufo sightings were genuinely inexplicable. But I am still relatively unexcited about it: I find it easier to accept (unexplained and fascinating) phenomena that make radar look as if the laws of physics are being broken, than the actual breaking of the laws.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TimT said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Palestine and Israel, it seems one can support Israel's right to exist, and to actively defend itself against external attacks, but also be horrified by the continued and creeping annexation of Israel's neighbours via settlements, and the willingness of many (otherwise perfectly sensible) people to defend Israel's creation of an apartheid state in Palestine.

And it seems that the two sides seem very unwilling to even acknowledge these issues. Supporters of Palestine reply with Whatabout... While supporters of Israel do the same.

The other side's intransigence allows one to avoid absolutely all consideration of whether one's own side is behaving morally.

There remains a fundament question that needs to be settled: are the West Bank and Gaza part of Israel or not?

If they are, then those people that were born and live there are Israeli citizens, and need to be given the same rights as every other Israeli citizen.

If they are not, then Israelis have no right to settle in Palestine, and the Palestinians have the same rights of self governance as anyone else.

Which is it, boys?

I don't agree, at all. There's a clear majority in Israel in support of a two/three state solution in principle. The problem is finding a negotiation partner who is willing and able to guarantee the safety of Israel's borders following any such deal. Abbas and the PLO aren't able, and Hamas aren't willing.

There is also a host of intermediary problems to clear first, starting with: how do you resolve the fact that Gaza and the West Bank can't be part of the same contiguous state without dividing Israel into two instead? That alone is enough to nix the initial negotiations, even before you get to the really thorny questions like how what you do with East Jerusalem, and continuing Jewish access to sites like Hebron.
    If I were a Palestinian living in the occupied territories, I would support Hamas.

Obviously.

Because I would have an Israeli occupying force in my country. Pushing other Palestinians off the land with guns.

Why wouldn't you support the one group willing to fight back and inflict pain on the people who are inflicting pain on you?

Put your empathy cap on for a second, and ask who you'd support if you were a Palestinian? You'd be throwing rocks at Israeli military vehicles, not hoping they would deign to offer you something in the future.

Irrespective of your views regarding the Israeli public, the reality is that Israeli government policy is to give monetary subsidies and military support to those who wish to settle in the occupied territories.

I suppose a question to ask is why didn't Hamas give the let's all get along strategy a go in Gaza.

The problems stem from 1948 when both sides were intent on not all getting along and living together. Hard to single Hamas out for that particular criticism.
    Israel accepted the 1948 borders though at the time.

The fault from 1948 lies 100% with the ones who chose to wipe out the Israelis from sea to sea, not the party that accepted the borders. 😕
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

How is Gaza being occupied? There's no troops and no settlements in Gaza.
    Gaza is not occupied. But at the same time, it's hardly free either.

Israel refuses to allow the airport to open, and therefore pretty much all people wishing to go to Gaza are forced to go through Israel.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,302
    This is good

"The overall case fatality rate of the Indian variant is just 0.2 per cent, compared to two per cent for the Kent variant, new data shows."

And this:

"She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that hospitals were seeing people who were far less sick than previous Covid patients. "In terms of how ill they're getting, I think the vaccine definitely seems to be working," she said.

"We are not seeing, certainly, many people as sick as we would have done pre-vaccine. Certainly the picture in hospital is much better than previous times when we've been at this position.""

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/28/two-people-have-died-indian-variant-full-vaccination/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

I have always accepted that a minority of ufo sightings were genuinely inexplicable. But I am still relatively unexcited about it: I find it easier to accept (unexplained and fascinating) phenomena that make radar look as if the laws of physics are being broken, than the actual breaking of the laws.
    Glitching equipment are infinitely more likely than the laws of physics are being broken by extraterrestrials.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

The alternative for Israel is permanent occupation of a subject people without rights. Not unusual in the world, of course, but an unstable and corrosive position in a democracy.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

Their stated aim is no less than Hitler's: i.e. to wipe the Jews off the face of the planet. They take money from some of the vilest regimes on earth and use it to reign terror on a (broadly) democratic state.

But they are also - for the vast majority of Palestinians - the only group fighting against Israeli occupation.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I don't disagree with any of that, but you have completely ignored the point I made, which is that the Palestinians (and all blame attaches to their leadership, not the people) do not constitute a credible partner for peace and it is not clear how that would change in the near to medium term. There is therefore insufficient value to Israel in not pursuing the policies currently at play, since they get nothing in return.

The only way to get peace in the Middle East is to get the Qataris, Iranians, and George Galloway, to stop funding terror.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

Israel refuses to allow the airport to open, and therefore pretty much all people wishing to go to Gaza are forced to go through Israel.
    Egypt, which originally occupied Gaza, doesn't allow it either. Yet I don't see any attacks on Egypt.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,325
    TimT said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

huh? 1948 is irrelevant. We're talking now. Israel withdrew from Gaza and could surely have expected fewer rocket attacks.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Regarding the Luton march. Am I alone in wondering why the fuck people are protesting in this country about the relations between two other countries?

No you won't be alone. There are a number of other ultra-parochials on here.
    I don’t consider myself parochial at all. Indeed, in a previous employment I worked across the world. Sometimes mediating in international troublespots. I have lived in several other countries. Nothing about me is parochial.

I simply do not see why (presumably) U.K. citizens feel the need to bring foreign wars (for this is a war) to our country.
    We have tons of protests here about bad stuff going on elsewhere. And many people see this more as a systematic oppression (akin to apartheid) rather than simply another foreign war.

You just don't like the cause, that's all. Which is fair enough, but that's a different argument.
    How is it "a more systematic oppression (akin to apartheid)" than what is happening to the Kurds? Or the Uighur? Or the Tibetans? Or many more?
    I'm not saying it's worse than other atrocities. I'm not doing a finely calibrated rating of one against the other.

And there's something else I don't do. When there happens to be a protest in the UK against something happening elsewhere I don't leap in and say either of the following -

That the people who feel strongly enough to join the protest have questions to answer if they are not also in the habit of protesting all and sundry other issues.

That a protest in the UK is inappropriate because it relates to things happening outside the UK.

What you're doing is imputing bad faith to a protest purely because you don't like the cause. It's no different to the negative stuff that gets said about BLM - although not by you in that case since there you DO like the cause.
    You're the one who used the words "a more systematic oppression (akin to apartheid)" so I think its fair to ask how that applies.

Just because people are protesting doesn't justify their protest. If people are protesting because they dislike oppression a la Kurds, Tibet, Uighur and Palestine etc consistently then I respect that.

If people are protesting because they dislike Jews, then that's no better than an EDL one.
    I sense you get my point. Good.
    No I don't get your point. You seem to want to justify this, without justifying it, because you know its unjustifiable.

Please can you say how it is "a more systematic oppression (akin to apartheid)", or please can you say that it isn't and those words were inappropriate?
    Ah ok. Just the once more then. I have a few minutes.

Assume there are 26 different atrocities going on in the world outside the UK - one for every letter of the alphabet, A to Z. And there's a protest going on in London about one of them. About M.

So now a common technique adopted by people who dislike and disagree with the protesters (against M) is to say the following -

"How come these people are not protesting against A thru L, and N thru Z? They're hypocrites!"

This is what you're doing here. Where M = Israeli treatment of the Palestinians.

Compare with if there were a protest where M = the Chinese treatment of the Uyghurs.

Would you in that case be employing the "why aren't they protesting against A thru L, and N thru Z?" technique?

I sense not.
    whataboutery is what you are looking for.
    Yes. Whataboutery to discredit a protest. That seems to be what's happening in places.
    No, that's not it. The protestors will most likely discredit themselves, based on past performance, and if they didn't then there wouldn't be a problem.

It's just that I (and, thankfully, it seems, most sane people here) would prefer they weren't given the opportunity in the first place.
    What, you'd ban a protest in case there was unlawful behaviour?
    Hell yes.

More specifically, I'd ban protests where history has proven that the "protestors" are using their supposed cause as a front to commit unlawful behaviour.

Again, ask yourself why you are so keen to preserve this right to protest over the right of others not to be racially abused.
    Surely outside the script of Minority Report you prosecute a crime after the event. The only exception to this that comes to mind is where there is hard evidence of people specifically plotting a crime.

And I wouldn't say I am keen to treat a pro-Palestine protest any different to others. What makes you think that?
    "fuck the jews, rape their women, free palestine".
    You keep quoting this, not sure why. It's grotesquely unpleasant, and arrests have been made. If it was widespread, I'd expect more arrests to be made. But do you have any evidence that this was a common refrain among the demonstrators? At almost any demo, whether it be Free Palestine, BLM or EDL you will get a fringe advocating violence. The law should deal with them, and allow peaceful protestors to make their case in a free society.
    That is true. But very few of the demonstrations are calling for a two state solution. From the River to the Sea Palestine shall be free.

What would jews make of that?

Plus check out the flags.
    Israel seems to have abandoned the 2 state solution in recent times.
    Yes it does seem so. "Facts on the ground" have taken precedence.
    Netanyahu's politics and aggressive strategy have also taken precedence. Squeeze the Palestinians, go around them, keep America onside, deal with others in the region, hope the Palestinians and their grievance lose international visibility over time. Trump was a boost to this (imo awful) approach. A rethink is needed now. But it's hard to see where a solution is coming from.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Glitching equipment are infinitely more likely than the laws of physics are being broken by extraterrestrials.
    Do you not think the US military, the most advanced on the planet, would notice if all their machines were on the fritz, and on the fritz in a very particular way: with their radars reproducing phenomena simultaneously recorded by infra-red sensors and many human eye-witnesses?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TimT said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

huh? 1948 is irrelevant. We're talking now. Israel withdrew from Gaza and could surely have expected fewer rocket attacks.

Absolutely. Gaza is not occupied, but Hamas just want to fight the Israelis and wipe them out. So the Palestinians suffer because of that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

As I understand it from the moment Israel withdrew, the Palestinians didn't let up in their antipathy and attacks on Israel.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Some people are apathetic about this story because they’ve always been generally aware of the UFO phenomena and can’t get excited about it unless something changes that will affect their life. Namely, confirmed contact. No idea if Ismael is in this bucket but I’ve spoken to a few people recently who are.
    Exactly, and I am not expecting confirmed contact: just "weird shit is happening and we have no idea why."

Bear in mind the June disclosure is a Trump initiative.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

41% of voters support decriminalisation of marijuana, 36% opposed.

Tory voters opposed 49% to 29%, Labour voters in favour 51% to 30%

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1398298020882661387?s=20

No comparison with when it was last asked, but it seems to be getting moor popular, (which I think is a good thing)

I suspect that if Boris came out in favour of legalising, then a lot of his supporters would follow, and it would be very popular overall.
    Embarrassing.

There is nothing at all in the column that says good idea, the bad idea column needs extra pages.

What on earth has anyone got in the good idea column other than they are mouth dribbling libertarian minded children who don’t like being told what they can or cannot do?
    Are you in favour of people being told what they can and cannot do?
    Yes! Otherwise it’s anarchy. Anarchy in the UK. Is that what you want, because that is what will happen.

Although cannabis may have some medical uses in strictly controlled circumstances, smoking it or munching on space cakes is simply not good for you. Opium poppy derivatives have medical uses, but that doesn’t make heroin healthy. It’s called Dope for a reason – bad for your brain, bad for your lungs, bad for your heart, bad for agitating or instigating mental health problems like schizophrenia and depression, terrible risk if you plan to do anything like a car or machinery. And it creates crime and injury from crime. The more people feeling they can do it because it’s decriminalised, the more crime and disorder there will be.

You have anything in “it’s a great idea” column that merely counterbalances all those facts and truths?
    I like it, it has neither done me any harm nor caused me to harm anyone else, and I seriously dispute your qualifications to tell me what is good for me.
    I am the most suited person to tell you the road you should be on, and help you to think again, my child.

Let me tell you where your reasoning has gone wrong, and use the PB community as example.

Fork in the road, PB community goes down the road of legalising dope, bad for their brain, bad for their lungs, bad for their heart, bad for agitating or instigating mental health problems like schizophrenia and depression. All those things will go up amongst the beautiful people posting here. More accidents from using cars and machinery. More posters committing crime and disorder, and in doing so hurting others, perfectly beautiful and innocent people.

Alternatively, follow lead of TSE, which looking at polling shows the sanity resides with the conservatives just like him, go on the cross trainer or bike as alternative to doing dope, lose some weight. Sit under a tree or take a walk in nature, and meditate, or better use the time doing a good deed for someone, such as bit of pastoral care and lifting their mental well being?

We have been put on this earth to build our resilience, not our dependence’s.

Can you see the error of your ways now? Your greedy selfish, thoughtless, destructive ways and psychologies
    Are you tripping? Kudos if you are: I am much more concerned about the legality of psilocybin than of cannabis.
    There is a place where there are no laws. Where the Lord of all things has delegated the responsibility to weigh the sins of this world. Not to anyone you can meet and debate with, or argue with of course.

If the question came to you this evening, that most amazing thing you were given, did you use it well, how would you answer?
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Do you not think the US military, the most advanced on the planet, would notice if all their machines were on the fritz, and on the fritz in a very particular way: with their radars reproducing phenomena simultaneously recorded by infra-red sensors and many human eye-witnesses?
    Weird shit happens sometimes. Its entirely natural.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I don't disagree with any of that, but you have completely ignored the point I made, which is that the Palestinians (and all blame attaches to their leadership, not the people) do not constitute a credible partner for peace and it is not clear how that would change in the near to medium term. There is therefore insufficient value to Israel in not pursuing the policies currently at play, since they get nothing in return.

The only way to get peace in the Middle East is to get the Qataris, Iranians, and George Galloway, to stop funding terror.
    Hang on.

You are basically saying that the Palestinian people are not a credible partner and therefore do not deserve the same rights as other people.

I'm just checking, to make sure I understood you.

And how is one supposed to make sure one looks like a credible partner? Tickertapes for the occupying soldiers? Maybe the Palestinians should offer their labour for free with the building of new settlements?

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

As I said there is so much that is apparently inexplicable around from quantum theory to caterpillars turning into butteflies to nudibranches to unexplained lights in the sky.

Just part of our mad, mad world. Not someone else's world.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

Belgian (population one sixth the UK) criteria for unlocking:

One of the conditions for Belgium to further loosen its coronavirus restrictions on June 9 has been met, with fewer than 500 patients with COVID-19 in intensive care units on Thursday, Steven Van Gucht, a virologist and the government’s COVID spokesperson, said at a press conference Friday.

On June 9, hotels and restaurants will be allowed to offer indoor dining again; theaters and cinemas will open their doors; and workers will begin a staggered return to the office, starting with one day a week. Belgians will also be allowed to invite up to four people to their homes.

https://www.politico.eu/article/belgian-icus-hit-threshold-for-loosening-restrictions-on-june-9/

Anyone know UK ICU occupation rate?

I do know there's less than 900 people in hospital, and 120 being ventilated.So the ICU figure will be somewhere in between
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,292

TimT said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

The fault from 1948 lies 100% with the ones who chose to wipe out the Israelis from sea to sea, not the party that accepted the borders. 😕
    First rule of any commentary on the Middle East: any post that attributes the blame solely to one side, however well evidenced or reasoned, is simply biased and best ignored.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,695
    Prepare yourself for the most idiotic post in the history of Twitter.

"Tim Hayward
    @Tim_Hayward_

Syria may not fit the description of a liberal democracy, but the presidential election (78.64% turnout voting 95.1%) makes clear there is no democratic basis for other countries to seek to override that affirmation."

https://twitter.com/Tim_Hayward_/status/1398151409011511297
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TimT said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

First rule of any commentary on the Middle East: any post that attributes the blame solely to one side, however well evidenced or reasoned, is simply biased and best ignored.
    Israel have done stuff wrong, but not were not the aggressors in 1948.

Blaming Israel for 1948 is like blaming Poland for being invaded in 1939.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

The alternative for Israel is permanent occupation of a subject people without rights. Not unusual in the world, of course, but an unstable and corrosive position in a democracy.
    Yes but why didn't Hamas play the game to start? Think what leverage they would have had with eg the US (especially now) and the international community. Instead rockets.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

Their stated aim is no less than Hitler's: i.e. to wipe the Jews off the face of the planet. They take money from some of the vilest regimes on earth and use it to reign terror on a (broadly) democratic state.

But they are also - for the vast majority of Palestinians - the only group fighting against Israeli occupation.
    You too. Answer the question. Israel withdrew from Gaza. A great opportunity for the palestinians to show themselves people you could do business with. Why didn't they seize that opportunity?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    Leon said:

This is good

"The overall case fatality rate of the Indian variant is just 0.2 per cent, compared to two per cent for the Kent variant, new data shows."

And this:

"She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that hospitals were seeing people who were far less sick than previous Covid patients. "In terms of how ill they're getting, I think the vaccine definitely seems to be working," she said.

"We are not seeing, certainly, many people as sick as we would have done pre-vaccine. Certainly the picture in hospital is much better than previous times when we've been at this position.""

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/28/two-people-have-died-indian-variant-full-vaccination/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

I do wonder that, with plenty of capacity, we are actually hospitalising people who are not that ill, and who in the first wave would have been left at home to fend for themselves.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

As I said there is so much that is apparently inexplicable around from quantum theory to caterpillars turning into butteflies to nudibranches to unexplained lights in the sky.

Except: we don't know that

Moreover, American politicians and defence boffins, and military pundits, are much more exercized than you and Ishmael, and they are much closer to the evidence, and the narrative

"John Brennan, Obama’s CIA director (and, importantly, a fierce Ratcliffe critic), went even further, openly speculating that the objects might “constitute a different form of life.”

"Make no mistake: Former high-ranking intelligence officials do not make such extraordinary statements without some analytic backing. That Brennan and Ratcliffe reside on entirely opposite ends of the political spectrum is all the more remarkable.

"Obama, for his part, is not prone to making wild or unsubstantiated statements. To that end, these officials offer some valuable insights into how the U.S. government assesses these baffling incidents"

And

"Given the monumental implications of these increasingly plausible explanations, Congress must heed Elizondo’s call to include academia and the broader scientific community in a “fair-minded, purposeful, deliberate scientific approach” to investigating these incidents. The stakes are simply too great to ignore them."

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/555761-extraordinary-explanations-for-ufos-look-increasingly-plausible
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,292
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

You too. Answer the question. Israel withdrew from Gaza. A great opportunity for the palestinians to show themselves people you could do business with. Why didn't they seize that opportunity?
    Despite the 2005 Israeli disengagement from Gaza, the United Nations, international human rights organisations, and the majority of governments and legal commentators consider the territory to be still occupied by Israel, supported by additional restrictions placed on Gaza by Egypt. Israel maintains direct external control over Gaza and indirect control over life within Gaza: it controls Gaza's air and maritime space, as well as six of Gaza's seven land crossings. It reserves the right to enter Gaza at will with its military and maintains a no-go buffer zone within the Gaza territory. Gaza is dependent on Israel for water, electricity, telecommunications, and other utilities.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

All single issue fanatics do something like this:

1 Yes indeed there are evils in the world.

2 I am going to focus on one of them and claim your attention and demand your support.

3 Every reference to every other evil in the world when I am talking to you is whatabouttery.

4 Every other evil in the world is somehow arguable, discussable and relates to other evils in the world and I am not talking about it so shut up and educate yourself.

Recent nice example: BLM in relation to the quality of governance in black led countries in sub Saharan Africa.

So somebody reacting to the BLM protests against racism in America with "but what about governance in sub Saharan Africa?" - that's valid critique in your book, is it?
    Thanks for the question. See above.
    What, so you DO see "But what about governance in sub Saharan Africa?" as a perfectly valid reaction to protests against racist policing in America?

Surprised if that's the case. And apols if I've misread your slightly gnomic response.
    My view is this: I do not support or condone the murder of blacks in America, segregated public transport in South Africa or the shelling of Gaza. If you feel strongly about it do something courageous and relevant: Rob a bank, use the proceeds to fly to Philadelphia or Joburg or Jerusalem and punch a policeman and go to prison. What use is risk free virtue signalling in an uninvolved third country?
    But most people aren't motivated or committed or brave enough to do anything other than peaceful protest. I don't mark them down for that. They're doing more than I ever do. I don't see protesting as easy virtue-signalling. It takes some effort. Much easier to bang away on a keyboard.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

The Palestinians in Gaza have behaved appallingly.

And Israel is right to defend themsevle against attacks from Gaza. If I was Israel, I'd send 100 rockets into Gaza for every one that came in.

But one group of people behaving badly doesn't mean that everyone who shares their nationality loses all their rights. If the ANC planted bombs in South Africa, would that mean blacks should be denied the vote until they give up their campaign of violence? It's collective punishment: you are being treated this way, because some other people in another place, who you don't control, have behaved in a certain way.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Moreover, American politicians and defence boffins, and military pundits, are much more exercized than you and Ishmael, and they are much closer to the evidence, and the narrative

"John Brennan, Obama’s CIA director (and, importantly, a fierce Ratcliffe critic), went even further, openly speculating that the objects might “constitute a different form of life.”

"Make no mistake: Former high-ranking intelligence officials do not make such extraordinary statements without some analytic backing. That Brennan and Ratcliffe reside on entirely opposite ends of the political spectrum is all the more remarkable.

"Obama, for his part, is not prone to making wild or unsubstantiated statements. To that end, these officials offer some valuable insights into how the U.S. government assesses these baffling incidents"

And

"Given the monumental implications of these increasingly plausible explanations, Congress must heed Elizondo’s call to include academia and the broader scientific community in a “fair-minded, purposeful, deliberate scientific approach” to investigating these incidents. The stakes are simply too great to ignore them."

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/555761-extraordinary-explanations-for-ufos-look-increasingly-plausible
    This is key isn’t it. A blacksmith only has a hammer and treats everything as an anvil. This needs to move behind the US military and intelligence world.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

I just googled and see that yes indeed there seems to be a majority public opinion for a two state solution. What is Bibi's view? Just let it peter out? What is the official position?
    Officially, the two state solution is dead until the Palestinian leadership accepts Israel's right to exist.

In other words, it's dead.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

Egypt could open its border with Gaza. Nobody criticises Egypt
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

Despite the 2005 Israeli disengagement from Gaza, the United Nations, international human rights organisations, and the majority of governments and legal commentators consider the territory to be still occupied by Israel, supported by additional restrictions placed on Gaza by Egypt. Israel maintains direct external control over Gaza and indirect control over life within Gaza: it controls Gaza's air and maritime space, as well as six of Gaza's seven land crossings. It reserves the right to enter Gaza at will with its military and maintains a no-go buffer zone within the Gaza territory. Gaza is dependent on Israel for water, electricity, telecommunications, and other utilities.
    Israel controls its land crossings? No shit Sherlock, the land crossings are into Israel. Even if Gaza were a sovereign country, Israel would still control crossings into Israel.

And Egypt controls the other one - and surprise, surprise they keep it locked too. Because of the way Hamas act.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

And

We don't know that true. But we definitely don't know that it is anything from beyond our world.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

Hang on.

You are basically saying that the Palestinian people are not a credible partner and therefore do not deserve the same rights as other people.

And how is one supposed to make sure one looks like a credible partner? Tickertapes for the occupying soldiers? Maybe the Palestinians should offer their labour for free with the building of new settlements?

Oh, come on. Hamas formally accepting Israel's right to exist would get us 90% of the way there.

Rights work both ways.
  • Options
    No idea if this is fake. Am tempted to give it credence. The Iranian UAPs seem pretty similar to the ones reported in the USA.. Ironically the Iranians apparently concluded the aircraft were American.

The twitterer seems legit. A defence expert with 54k followers

Thread:

"In 2009, a group of Iranian Air Force #IRIAF pilots, scientists & aerospace engineers carried-out research about UFOs flying near the #Iran's Nuclear sites for #IRIAF's strategic research center. Here are some samples of original & translated pages of the classified research:"

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/942385916659814401?s=20
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

So be model neighbours. You have been occupied. You are now less occupied but with those restrictions. In time, who knows. But no you start firing rockets.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    ·
    7m
    Despite today's big case numbers, trend is still a straight line for now, but there are two big days ahead that I've cut off (I remove the most recent three days of data for lag), so we're going to have to hope for a load of LFD false positives getting struck off.

https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1398335564047323142
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

And Israel is right to defend themsevle against attacks from Gaza. If I was Israel, I'd send 100 rockets into Gaza for every one that came in.

But one group of people behaving badly doesn't mean that everyone who shares their nationality loses all their rights. If the ANC planted bombs in South Africa, would that mean blacks should be denied the vote until they give up their campaign of violence? It's collective punishment: you are being treated this way, because some other people in another place, who you don't control, have behaved in a certain way.
    I never think analogies with I/P work. Not South Africa not anything. Let's look at the reality.

Israel withdrew from Gaza while reserving some degree of power/influence. This is from a multi-decade full occupation. So yes really really irritating. But there is a sweep of history here. Today we have more autonomy, who's to say we won't get full autonomy (once we've convinced those pesky Egyptians) in future.

But no. Rockets.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    The stated aim of Hamas is to destroy Israel. So to blame Israel for its treatment of missile-lobbing terrorists pledged to its destruction is absurd. The PA hasn't held elections for 15 years leaving the terrorists in charge. With whom is Israel supposed to unilaterally negotiate? And to make compromises with those pledged to wipe them off the map?

Yes the Israeli government is spectacularly bad, led by a lunatic criminal, influenced by invading settlers occupying ever-greater chunks of the West Bank. Any peace deal will logically pull these settlers back out. But it will have to come from the outside.

Israel AND Palestine deserve peace and security. Neither can have it because of Hamas and because of the arab diaspora who have refused settlement to 4th generation "refugees" in former Palestinian land in what is now Jordan. So when I see leftie wazzocks banging on about Palestine, I see racists supporting terrorism.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

I just googled and see that yes indeed there seems to be a majority public opinion for a two state solution. What is Bibi's view? Just let it peter out? What is the official position?
    Officially, the two state solution is dead until the Palestinian leadership accepts Israel's right to exist.

In other words, it's dead.
    thx
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited May 2021
    Deleted.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

I loathe Hamas.

It's not a punishment, it's a consequence.

The government of Israel cannot under any circumstances sanction the creation of a state on its borders which would be hell bent on its own destruction. Regardless of what that does to your or anyone else's Western sensibilities.

if you continue trying to analyse the situation like it's some other completely different situation, you'll keep making the same mistakes.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

Hang on.

Your last series of posts on Israeli behaviour have encompassed some of the major issues regarding the Palestinian question.

This is Jeremy Corbyn's starting point, however by the time he has put on his bicycle clips to cycle to his protest at Trafalgar Square his mind has turned to blancmange and it is all the fault of Luciana Berger.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

2 hour Dylan special on Radio 6 now. :smile:

Lucky Wilbury 🎸
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Great if it is a programme showcasing other artists covering Dylan's work. Not so good if he is singing his own songs.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

And the coast is blockaded as well.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Why do aliens always select the New Mexico desert or Thetford Forest as their gateway to Planet Earth?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    dixiedean said:

Are you sure it’s not a Dilyn special?
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

No.

As I said a couple of nights ago, one of three things will happen to Boris Johnson.

1) He will either be thrown out of office by a vengeful electorate.

2) He will be thrown out of office by those in his party scared their chance of being at the top table is going to pass them by if they stay attached to his coattails or if he becomes an electoral liability and they have a ready-made popular successor in Rishi Sunak who will save the seats and jobs of backbenchers by the dozen.

3) He will leave on his own terms to much fanfare and then watch impotently as his reputation is trashed in the following years by an ungrateful electorate and Party.

So you are saying that he will be treated just like any other prime minister?
    Er, yes.

I noted here the other day the four people who receive the most consistent vilification from all sides are Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Theresa May.

Boris Johnson is and will be no different.
    No to forget Margaret Thatcher. In fact John Major seems to be the only vaguely recent ex-PM that isn't hated on.
    I voted for Major. He always struck me as too decent for politics... :D
    Edwina excepted
    Well, if you are going to criticise John Major for failing to keep his dick in his pants, you can hardly defend the current incumbent of No.10 on that basis....... but compared to Boris, Major is a candidate for sainthood.
    I never did, Major has more personal morals than Boris and May has more personal morals than both but that does not change the fact Boris is by far the better campaigner and election winner.

Putin is also an awesome election winner. I am not sure it takes him out of the "absolute scumbag" category though.
    No - Putin operates in an undemocratic dictatorship. To pretend parity with the UK is plain stupid.
    Did I compare Johnson to Putin? No I did not, I just made an observation that Putin wins elections (so the cards may be stacked in his favour, but some people on here would suggest that "a win is a win").

You have made the connection, so if the cap fits...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,802

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Why do aliens always select the New Mexico desert or Thetford Forest as their gateway to Planet Earth?
    Ley lines?
  • Options
    Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

@Philip_Thompson
    Have you watched this yet? Do you still think Senator Heinrich is “laughing at me” and treating this as a big joke? And that I am a big joke for sending you a clip of him from TMZ? Because it doesn’t feel like he’s joking in this NBC segment.

I was thinking also about your comments on Obama, that he was just having a good old laugh at me and many others when he spoke about this. And that to paraphrase, I must be particularly stupid for not realising he was laughing at me.

If you want to give negative feedback or a difficult message, it is well understood by business psychologists that either side of that message you should say something positive, or if the occasion calls for it, something humourous. Obama is a very skilful communicator and knows exactly what he’s saying. Doesn’t mean of course the technique works on everyone, some people just see the bread and not the shit spread in between.
  • Options

Leon said:

This is good

And this:

I do wonder that, with plenty of capacity, we are actually hospitalising people who are not that ill, and who in the first wave would have been left at home to fend for themselves.
    I think in the first wave far too many were instructed to stay home on the hot broth treatment, and only presented late, in poor condition.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    A reasonable summing up of the current state of play with this issue is here, from a former Obama appointee at the U.S Department of Defense.

".. Indeed, by eliminating unlikely explanations for these mysterious phenomena, two mind-boggling explanations are increasingly plausible. Either theory – a remarkable technological leap by a foreign government or “non-human technology” at work – would have profound global implications.

..Former high-ranking intelligence officials do not make such extraordinary statements without some analytic backing. That Brennan and Ratcliffe reside on entirely opposite ends of the political spectrum is all the more remarkable."
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Which is it, boys?

Obviously.

Because they used to drop bombs from planes…
  • Options

dixiedean said:

A demonstration that the BBC has jettisoned it left wing bias?

Mind you Dylan after the tragic 1966 motorcycle crash, sings like Johnson's dog.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Yes. The hound's UJ weskit wouldn't show up on radio.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Ley lines?
    Banjo playing yokels?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

No comparison with when it was last asked, but it seems to be getting moor popular, (which I think is a good thing)

I suspect that if Boris came out in favour of legalising, then a lot of his supporters would follow, and it would be very popular overall.
    Embarrassing.

There is nothing at all in the column that says good idea, the bad idea column needs extra pages.

What on earth has anyone got in the good idea column other than they are mouth dribbling libertarian minded children who don’t like being told what they can or cannot do?
    Yes! Otherwise it’s anarchy. Anarchy in the UK. Is that what you want, because that is what will happen.

Although cannabis may have some medical uses in strictly controlled circumstances, smoking it or munching on space cakes is simply not good for you. Opium poppy derivatives have medical uses, but that doesn’t make heroin healthy. It’s called Dope for a reason – bad for your brain, bad for your lungs, bad for your heart, bad for agitating or instigating mental health problems like schizophrenia and depression, terrible risk if you plan to do anything like a car or machinery. And it creates crime and injury from crime. The more people feeling they can do it because it’s decriminalised, the more crime and disorder there will be.

You have anything in “it’s a great idea” column that merely counterbalances all those facts and truths?
    I like it, it has neither done me any harm nor caused me to harm anyone else, and I seriously dispute your qualifications to tell me what is good for me.
    I am the most suited person to tell you the road you should be on, and help you to think again, my child.

Let me tell you where your reasoning has gone wrong, and use the PB community as example.

Fork in the road, PB community goes down the road of legalising dope, bad for their brain, bad for their lungs, bad for their heart, bad for agitating or instigating mental health problems like schizophrenia and depression. All those things will go up amongst the beautiful people posting here. More accidents from using cars and machinery. More posters committing crime and disorder, and in doing so hurting others, perfectly beautiful and innocent people.

Alternatively, follow lead of TSE, which looking at polling shows the sanity resides with the conservatives just like him, go on the cross trainer or bike as alternative to doing dope, lose some weight. Sit under a tree or take a walk in nature, and meditate, or better use the time doing a good deed for someone, such as bit of pastoral care and lifting their mental well being?

Can you see the error of your ways now? Your greedy selfish, thoughtless, destructive ways and psychologies

Idiot
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

They don’t. Many famous cases elsewhere. France, Belgium, Italy. Brazil. China. Or Iran - see below
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Ley lines?
    Banjo playing yokels?
    That too.
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Long ago released Ussr files indicated that approx 2/3rds of ufo events documented by the military occurred over open water (oceans or lakes). The US military is apparently finding something similar.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

They don’t. Many famous cases elsewhere. France, Belgium, Italy. Brazil. China. Or Iran - see below
    Granted it wasn't Boris Johnson quality comedy, however I think it is fair to say that after every regeneration you seem to lose between 5 and 10% of your humour quotient.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,402
    ALIENS
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Long ago released Ussr files indicated that approx 2/3rds of ufo events documented by the military occurred over open water (oceans or lakes). The US military is apparently finding something similar.
    So UFOs are here and have been for half a century or more but not revealed themselves?

Or something in the water could be interfering with equipment?
  • Options

The stated aim of Hamas is to destroy Israel. So to blame Israel for its treatment of missile-lobbing terrorists pledged to its destruction is absurd. The PA hasn't held elections for 15 years leaving the terrorists in charge. With whom is Israel supposed to unilaterally negotiate? And to make compromises with those pledged to wipe them off the map?

Yes the Israeli government is spectacularly bad, led by a lunatic criminal, influenced by invading settlers occupying ever-greater chunks of the West Bank. Any peace deal will logically pull these settlers back out. But it will have to come from the outside.

Israel AND Palestine deserve peace and security. Neither can have it because of Hamas and because of the arab diaspora who have refused settlement to 4th generation "refugees" in former Palestinian land in what is now Jordan. So when I see leftie wazzocks banging on about Palestine, I see racists supporting terrorism.

Hamas doesn't rule in the West Bank, which is under relatively secular PLA control which has a willingness to a two state solution. If the Israelis wanted they could demonstrate that these are people that they can negotiate with, but they do not.

Instead, the Israelis interpret this as weakness. They seize land and water sources, build settlements with their own roads protected by Israeli soldiers. The West Bank is a Bantustan, rather than a viable country, Gaza is just a large prison.

• Options

moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

So UFOs are here and have been for half a century or more but not revealed themselves?

Or could it be that 2/3 of the worlds surface is water 🤔
  • Options
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Or could it be that 2/3 of the worlds surface is water 🤔
    Yes I noted the same coincidence
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Ley lines?
    Can’t be. This area is notorious for them, and their intersections, and no one claims any sightings.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It's not impossible, ofcourse, that somewhere on earth there are scientists more sophisticated than those working in the US, despite its huge lead. China is incredibly good at secrecy, for instance.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

Yes the US miltary and political elite has been fooled by ‘sea water in a circuitboard’. And a goose. Don’t forget THE GOOSE
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

It's not impossible, ofcourse, that somewhere on earth there are scientists more sophisticated than those working in the US, despite its huge lead. China is incredibly good at secrecy, for instance.

Or, more ominously, that some parts of the US government don’t know what other parts are doing.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

USAF Lakenheath swimming baths?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    RobD said:

Or, more ominously, that some parts of the US government don’t know what other parts are doing.
    Yes, there is that, historically as well. The article below makes a good case though, that in its view, former Pentagon officials wouldn't be drawing attention to highly advanced projects that they might suspect or poorly understand, as what the author regards as the people most likely to know about them. Both secret US and Chinese projects are one of the last explanations before the more cosmic ones, although there are also issues with those kinds of "secret ops" explanations too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The joint chiefs structure exists for that purpose. Were this all a test of secret US military tech, it seems somewhat incredible we would have got as far as the Senate Intelligence Committee ordering a public investigation.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

This is good

And this:

I think in the first wave far too many were instructed to stay home on the hot broth treatment, and only presented late, in poor condition.
    Does hot broth not work then? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

@GadiNBC has more"

And

Strongly agree with the last paragraph. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. There exists top expertise (the sort that could give admissible evidence in court) in analysing video footage and other data, and planet earth possesses top expertise in physics, engineering and maths. Their peer reviewed papers in Nature and other reputable publications are awaited.

If we don't get them I think we must conclude there is nothing to get.

And BTW books selling millions awaits the top physics/engineering people who produce the peer reviewed papers and can write more popularly about it. Unless we get them we must conclude for now there is nothing to get.

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    kyf_100 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

Embarrassing.

Idiot
    So is that all you got? Not a list of excellent reasons for leagalising pot?

Thought not 😄.
This discussion has been closed.