Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Extraordinary. Gove was killed by Lynton Crosby’s private p

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Andrew Lansley retiring as MP too according to BBC

Many nice selections coming up...

Too frit to have by elections though!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203
    jayfdee It has not aged, core power play never does, and Kevin Spacey's US version also very watchable
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,033

Richard, you will hopefully read El Capitano's decapitation below of your post about how teachers voted in 2010. It's all there, as he (she?) points out but if you want to push anecdotes above fact there's not much that can be said in response, except perhaps you could do with a return to education.

I will, however, respond about falling standards. What a load of bollocks. My sisters went through the comprehensive fiasco in the 1970's, and education has been through a torrid time for several decades. However, standards have not 'collapsed,' the system is not 'fundamentally broken,' and teachers have not been 'complicit in its destruction.' You really haven't a clue what you are talking about, have you? Come on, fess up man. When was the last time you sat through a day's teaching in a state school? No I thought not.

There are some phenomenal teachers in the profession, with staggeringly good resources and real savvy about learning styles and what makes an outstanding lesson. The inspection regime for all its myriad faults has raised the bar out of sight from 15 or 20 years ago, producing its own headaches on grade inflation (cue 'dumbing down' argument): the better you teach, the more a handle the children get, the easier it becomes to pass the exams. That's another side-topic however.

I have seen some superb teaching and teachers working under tough conditions. Don't get me wrong, not everything Gove said was wrong but the man was a buffoon for alienating an entire profession who actually would have been biddable.

And my final comment comes from one of the senior Inspectors. He walked into the DfES recently and said it was hushed, noiseless, hallowed. The one thing you didn't hear, and which the Inspector was tempted to get piped into the building, was the noise of children.

Yes I read El Capitano's acknowledgement that he fails in basic interpretation of polling data. Your point being?

And all the evidence is that standards have not just fallen they have collapsed. Just look at our standing compared to other countries in the world. Dumbing down is a reality and is one reason why universities have had to start teaching students the sort of stuff they used to learn at 'O' and 'A' level 30 years ago.

Having worked in schools as part of various programmes to promote history and archaeology I can assure you that the standards of behaviour I saw were nothing short of atrocious. (and for your information the last time I sat through a half day in a secondary school was last November) Maybe your school is one of the few exceptions - as I am sure there must be some. My daughter's Grammar is also well behaved. The four other schools we looked at when she was moving to secondary school were totally unfit as environments for learning.
  • Options
    Bobafett Indeed, probably most amusing part of the reshuffle
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    TOPPING said:

BobaFett said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Gove is probably paying the price for his son blurting out 'is this where will be staying when you are PM daddy' when Gove was staying with Cameron at Chequers. Also, a move to win a few teachers' votes after he has done the hard work of reform.

Gove should not despair, after all House of Cards is based on the premise that the whips office leads to the highest office, after all it led Francis Urquhart to Downing Street and Frank Underwood to the White House

Just rewatching "House of cards" extremely good,and not dated too much,well you might like to think that I would say that,but I could not possibly confirm.

Point of order:

"You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment."

I still use that all the time at work :)
    Oh god.

You don't quote the whole "Knights of Ni" scene do you?
    No :) I'm not one of 'them'.

I simply use that line in its context - as a way of saying I concur without saying so...
  • Options
    Carola said:
    He's better be.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

I am a full time teacher in a tough London state school. I'm also a Conservative. So that's a rare combination.

Gove was an imbecile who certainly did NOT put the children first. He hasn't the first clue about learning styles or human nature. He pummelled a ludicrously outdated chalk and talk approach with reactionary politics driving an educational agenda. He had not got the first clue about how different children learn and thought everyone should slot into his Huxley-esque monochromatic and robotic methodology. He was, remarkably for someone so bright, a fool. He saw 'the teaching profession' as a hotbed of lefties, more examples of which you can see from a few posters below who have probably never set foot in a staffroom.

Actually I know very, very, few left wing teachers. They tend to get out the classroom, usually because they're useless, and join the teaching unions which is probably why you get to hear about them. Most teachers are pretty centrist but passionately believe in education and how to get the best out of children, using all sorts of fantastic mixed teaching methods within and across lessons. That is precisely the opposite of what Michael Gove stood for I'm afraid.

It's a happy day, but would be happier if the reactionary right (the Nasty Party Rump) put a collective sock in it, listen (two ears and one mouth for a reason) to others in the profession who do actually know what they're talking about, most of the time.

Cameron has balls, and he also has tremendous political savvy. He got this spot on.

"I am a full time teacher in a tough London state school."

Just for balance I went to one of those schools and my attitude towards teachers is absolute hatred.

Just saying.

• Options

What the tables show is that less than 40% of teachers supported right of centre parties. Over 60% supported parties which are generally considered to be left of centre.

"Left of centre party supports Gove's reforms through parliament for five years" - hold the front page.
    Left of centre party sees collapse in its support when it doesn't keep its left of centre promises.

See what I did there? Showed you up for the idiot you really are.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463
    BobaFett said:

TOPPING said:

BobaFett said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Gove is probably paying the price for his son blurting out 'is this where will be staying when you are PM daddy' when Gove was staying with Cameron at Chequers. Also, a move to win a few teachers' votes after he has done the hard work of reform.

Gove should not despair, after all House of Cards is based on the premise that the whips office leads to the highest office, after all it led Francis Urquhart to Downing Street and Frank Underwood to the White House

Just rewatching "House of cards" extremely good,and not dated too much,well you might like to think that I would say that,but I could not possibly confirm.

Point of order:

"You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment."

I still use that all the time at work :)
    Oh god.

No :) I'm not one of 'them'.

I simply use that line in its context - as a way of saying I concur without saying so...
    phew.

Meanwhile some Spartist BBC union bod on the, um, BBC being very spartist about next week's strike.

Find me someone, anyone, who has sympathy for a BBC strike.
  • Options

JackW said:

If true then this really sums up all that is wrong with our education system. It is run for the benefit of the teachers not the children. If it is true then this is a huge mistake by Cameron.

Not necessarily a mistake. If it helps make the difference between a Conservative-led government which can continue Gove's excellent work, and a Labour-led government which will take us backwards, then it would be a good strategic move for the Conservative Party, but more importantly for the country.

In any case there is no reason at this stage to assume that Nicky Morgan won't be a good Education Sec. It may well be that, as at Health, a period of consolidation is required to bed in the reforms. We'll have to see how she fares, but in the meantime the fact that Nick Gibb and Nick Boles are going to have key roles in the department doesn't suggest a cave-in to the vested interests.
    I hope you are right Richard and, as I said on the previous thread, my concern is predicated upon an abandonment of Gove's plans and there is no indication at the moment that that is going to happen.

My bigger concern is that this is no time for treading water. We need even more radical change to improve our parlous education system and I fear that if all Nicky Morgan is able to do is maintain what has already been done it will be no where near enough.
    We need the full scale return of grammar schools .... but with a twist.

Funding per pupil should be skewed heavily in favour of the remainder of secondary education - probably in the 60/40 range.

I think that is a good plan. Clearly those who do not succeed in getting into Grammar schools need more help and so funding should be balanced in their direction.

By Gove! Sorry, Jove. I can agree whole-hearted with that premise. Wonder of wonders a UKIP - Tory plan. :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

Saw the original for the first time a couple of months ago after watching the american remake. First two series were great, but the third just didn't work in my opinion.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    Sounds like the ultimate in government by focus group if the thread header is true

Get Gove to Ukip... Doing the right thing for the country at the expense of trying to be every ones best mate
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Carola said:

Smarmeron said:

@BobaFett
    The "blob" was Goves witty term for the teaching profession.

I think the term was coined by a previous ed sec. Originally aimed at ed academics.
    It's telling. One of Margaret Thatcher's failings was to create a collective enemy out of an entire group. (Don't get me wrong, in lots of ways she was brilliant.) Michael Gove seems to share that fault. He obviously went into Education assuming everyone was his enemy, the collective 'blob.' It's a bad trait, and a character flaw, in this case the more so because teachers were very biddable at the time and certainly weren't all lefties as the evidence shows. A significant proportion were actually pretty hacked off with NuLab's political meddling, and ludicrous red-tape, and gawd help us if that other prize berk Tristram Hunt becomes EdSec. The idea of a lighter Conservative hand on the tiller was immensely appealing. Unfortunately Gove couldn't resist forcing his ideology across the board. He made the mistake of assuming the occasional strident lefty spoke for the whole profession. He really didn't have a clue about teaching, and has a very narrow perspective on education.

I'm optimistic about Nicky Morgan. She did a Theresa May earlier in the year by attacking the hatred mentality of some Tories, something Michael Gove probably choked over, but she was spot on. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/conservative-minister-nicky-morgan-party-3048285

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Operation Cayacos?
    How many operations are the police working on now?

"Two charged with historical child sex abuse"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28314991
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    HYUFD said:

jayfdee It has not aged, core power play never does, and Kevin Spacey's US version also very watchable

Also re watching " Edge of darkness" it still disturbs me,and the music courtesy of Clapo really adds to the sinister effect.
  • Options
    jayfdee Not seen that, must get round to it some time, anyway, off to the gym
  • Options
    Below, is what Charles Moore thinks of Cammo's reshuffle. And the verdict: not much!

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/charles-moore-weve-just-seen-the-worst-reshuffle-in-25-years/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The reactionaries who bemoan Gove's demotion represent the rump of the Nasty Party. Gove was loathed both inside and outside education. Whatever the fraction of ideas that were reasonable, they were swamped by his own obnoxious, vile and toxic branding.

Gove was everything the Conservative Party should never, ever, be again in the future.

Clearly the lunatic left are happy tonight. No one who actually cares about education should be.

And there's Gove's problem in one - only he cared, only he had the right answers, anyone who dared to think he might be wrong about certain things was a member of the lunatic left. It's not a great management style when you need to bring people with you in order to succeed.

Well we certainly know the teachers don't care - or very few of them anyway - or they would never have allowed the past few decades of collapsing standards. Once you get to the point where your organisation is fundamentally broken and those who are still working in it are complicit in its destruction then there really isn't much point trying to get them onside.

If teachers did not care Richard they would not work the hours they do:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27087942

Teachers teach what they are told to teach and they do the admin they are told to do.

Presumably you believe that the teachers who strike because they believe that education policy is wrong are doing the right thing.

No: teachers who strike because they believe policy is wrong are acting undemocratically.

Policy is set by elected politicians. Teacher should execute on policy, not strike because they don't ike it
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    "No 10 said it was "quite wrong" to call it a demotion for Mr Gove."

Sweet Lord.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    BobaFett said:

Pulpstar said:

What on earth is "the blob" that people keep referring to in the last few (And this) threads :?

Pulpstar said:

What on earth is "the blob" that people keep referring to in the last few (And this) threads :?

My original theory was that it was a derogatory term for me! It then became clear from the context that it wasn't. Now I have not the foggiest. Entirely without clue.

Perhaps it is one of those fleeting PB mysteries sent by Gove to try us.
    Only just ducked in,so don't know the context. But believe Gove used the term to describe the "educational establishment"
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2014

JackW said:

If true then this really sums up all that is wrong with our education system. It is run for the benefit of the teachers not the children. If it is true then this is a huge mistake by Cameron.

Not necessarily a mistake. If it helps make the difference between a Conservative-led government which can continue Gove's excellent work, and a Labour-led government which will take us backwards, then it would be a good strategic move for the Conservative Party, but more importantly for the country.

In any case there is no reason at this stage to assume that Nicky Morgan won't be a good Education Sec. It may well be that, as at Health, a period of consolidation is required to bed in the reforms. We'll have to see how she fares, but in the meantime the fact that Nick Gibb and Nick Boles are going to have key roles in the department doesn't suggest a cave-in to the vested interests.
    I hope you are right Richard and, as I said on the previous thread, my concern is predicated upon an abandonment of Gove's plans and there is no indication at the moment that that is going to happen.

My bigger concern is that this is no time for treading water. We need even more radical change to improve our parlous education system and I fear that if all Nicky Morgan is able to do is maintain what has already been done it will be no where near enough.
    We need the full scale return of grammar schools .... but with a twist.

Funding per pupil should be skewed heavily in favour of the remainder of secondary education - probably in the 60/40 range.

I think that is a good plan. Clearly those who do not succeed in getting into Grammar schools need more help and so funding should be balanced in their direction.

Added to which the most deprived schools would attract a further pupil premium and teachers a salary premium tax free.

Teachers also need their status built up. Too many seem to lack the confidence to hold effective discipline in the classroom, sometimes because children "know their rights" and some parents regard schools as little more than educational baby sitters.

Parents should sign a legally binding contract guaranteeing the attendance and behaviour of their offspring and all schools would have a "Senior Master" with specific responsibility for discipline.

A £55M educational fund would also be allocated annually to the best 50 schools in the land. Each successfully nominated school would receive £1M and the winner a further £5M. The funding to be paid for by proper enforcement of compensation and seizure orders from the criminal classes.

• Options
    jayfdee said:
    "UKIP will give tax relief for real ales."
    "The earnings of employed people are not a legitimate target for taxation."

Sign me up !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Pulpstar said:

Sweet Lord.

It had seemed like they trailed, delivered and presented the reshuffle with, for the Cameroons, unprecedented lack of drama and something approaching competence. But I see they are back at the 'cannot pick their battles' stage.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited July 2014

'Added to which the most deprived schools would attract a further pupil premium and teachers a salary premium tax free.

Teachers also need their status built up. Too many seem to lack the confidence to hold effective discipline in the classroom, sometimes because children "know their rights" and some parents regard schools as little more than educational baby sitters.

Parents should sign a legally binding contract guaranteeing the attendance and behaviour of their offspring and all schools would have a "Senior Master" with specific responsibility for discipline.

A £55M educational fund would also be allocated annually to the best 50 schools in the land. Each successfully nominated school would receive £1M and the winner a further £5M. The funding to be paid for by proper enforcement of compensation and seizure orders from the criminal classes.'

Again, this is a bit of a myth (though there are weak teachers of course, I'd never claim any different).

The biggest issue re discipline is weak/inconsistent, poorly managed/administered behaviour systems/processes. Not helped by the fact that Ofsted measure schools on exclusions/expulsions, so now managers will do anything to avoid even admitting that there is a problem.

Discipline/ethos comes from the top. Thankfully Ofsted are now going to be focusing on management of behaviour systems, which should help.

The one thing that 'turnaround' schools have in common is a well-led crackdown on behaviour. In fact, if you get that right, much of the rest follows.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Return of the blob ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28320724

"Liberal Democrat officials have rejected an attempt by Lord Rennard to overturn his suspension from the party.

The former chief executive of the Lib Dems had been suspended amid claims that he had brought the party into disrepute by failing to apologise over sexual harassment allegations.

The investigation into whether the peer brought the party into disrepute will now begin and party aides said they expected it to go on for some weeks."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sweet Lord.

Words fail me.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:
    Davids just turned over Goliath
  • Options
    @Carola

That's why I think the "Senior Master" position is so important. Classroom teachers need to know there is effective backup for them and parents understand fully that that their children are there to learn academically and in due course to become a fully functioning adult member of society.

And just to throw another grenade in the mix .... State education and religion should be separated. A child's religious observance is the responsibility of the parents and not the state.
  • Options
    Hmm. Someone at the BBC has perhaps got their numbers wrong: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28317555

"The leaders of the five BRICS countries have signed a deal to create a new $100bn (£583m) development bank and emergency reserve fund."

I know the exchange rate's been shifting a bit, but I didn't think it had changed that much...
  • Options
    My Dad is a teaching assistant in a comp in Barking and Dagenham... he was working for an agency but just got a full time job there.. not bad for a 67 year old!

Anyway, I filled out the online application for him, as he's not the best on computers, the job is basically crowd control. My dad supervises the SEN (Special needs) kids because the teacher cant teach and deal with them as well.

Is that how its meant to be? Or shouldn't we have separate classes/schools for children so obviously lagging behind?
  • Options
    JackW said:

@Carola

That's why I think the "Senior Master" position is so important. Classroom teachers need to know there is effective backup for them and parents understand fully that that their children are there to learn academically and in due course to become a fully functioning adult member of society.

And just to throw another grenade in the mix .... State education and religion should be separated. A child's religious observance is the responsibility of the parents and not the state.

We've had the equivalent of 'senior master' twice before, so we'll see.

I think it's important to learn about religions. But I'm not religious so can't really comment on it from any point of empathy.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958

Hmm. Someone at the BBC has perhaps got their numbers wrong: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28317555

"The leaders of the five BRICS countries have signed a deal to create a new $100bn (£583m) development bank and emergency reserve fund."

I know the exchange rate's been shifting a bit, but I didn't think it had changed that much...

This is what happens when Greenpeace try to get back their losses on the currency markets...
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Pulpstar said:

Sweet Lord.

Words fail me.
    Clearly not .... and a singular triumph of hope over expectation.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    OMG, what will happen to all the Gove Bibles now?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443
    Talk about producer capture. Bloody hell.

Sharp politics no doubt but another generation down the plug hole.
  • Options
    JackW said:

@Carola

I agree with everything above. JackW, you are coming over positively UKIPish, but what about that old fashion class discipline we used to have; who is going to enforce it. For without discipline and indeed self discipline, the path to a well educated person is more difficult.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    isam said:

My Dad is a teaching assistant in a comp in Barking and Dagenham... he was working for an agency but just got a full time job there.. not bad for a 67 year old!

Anyway, I filled out the online application for him, as he's not the best on computers, the job is basically crowd control. My dad supervises the SEN (Special needs) kids because the teacher cant teach and deal with them as well.

Is that how its meant to be? Or shouldn't we have separate classes/schools for children so obviously lagging behind?

Both my parents were teachers in what was then called ESN schools,I will not translate as it is too non PC.But yes they need a different means of education tailored to their abilities. Stands by to be flamed.

• Options
    DavidL said:

If you're a Gove True Believer then blame your leader Cameron for sacking him, not teachers or polling.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Sweet Lord.

Don't understand. What else could they say? "Spot on" or - equally damaging - "no comment"?

Edit: Cameron actually said

"I can tell you, if you are prime minister, the chief whip is one of the most important jobs in government.

"I wanted one of my big hitters, one of my real stars, one of my great brains, someone who has done extraordinary things for education in this country, to do that job, to deliver the government's programme, to help secure the future for our country.

"I am pleased that he is doing that job. He will do it brilliantly."

Per BBC

Sounds to me a fairly robust denial.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

I don't buy this. Gove was unpopular across the board going by polling. And I doubt Cameron (even) is dim enough to think that this will win teacher votes back.

Politically it's interesting. I agree it won't win many teacher votes back. I can see an argument that Crosby is trying to detoxify the Conservatives in time for GE2015, and having Gove away from DfE helps that. Having him on the Today programme every week may not.

Incidentally, although there are many on here who are ready to criticise Gove-sceptics as being on the side of "producers' interests", I would be interested to know how many of them, in turn, are actually parents of school-age children.
    I am. And Gove is grudgingly admired in my daughter's part of north London, where the dire school situation is being rescued by a new Free School, the Archer Academy.

It's the teachers who hate Gove. not the parents.

I predict that history will judge Gove one of the most significant and impressive of Cameron's ministers, even if he was not the most adept politician.

The reason he is significant is that he has shifted the whole education debate 45 degrees to the Right. I predict that, whoever wins the GE in 2015, they will not reverse many of his reforms.
    One thing he was right to do, is to scrap the warning for schools that OFSTED are coming.

Someone very close to me used to work at a school were they would recall all the old strict teachers for the day supervising uniform etc on the day of the inspection so as to cheat the system.. ridiculous that they get prior notice of an "on the spot" check
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

@Carola

I agree with everything above. JackW, you are coming over positively UKIPish, but what about that old fashion class discipline we used to have; who is going to enforce it. For without discipline and indeed self discipline, the path to a well educated person is more difficult.
    I've always been extremely pro Grammar Schools even before UKIP was a gleam in Nigel Farage's eye.

However I've also been aware that the "Other Secondary" education is looked upon far less favourably - almost a dumping ground for the less academic children.

This is a fundamental error. They need to be the academies of a well educated wider workforce that enables UK PLC to provided added value to our goods and services. The UK will not win a race to the bottom for cheap illiterate labour.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

I don't buy this. Gove was unpopular across the board going by polling. And I doubt Cameron (even) is dim enough to think that this will win teacher votes back.

Politically it's interesting. I agree it won't win many teacher votes back. I can see an argument that Crosby is trying to detoxify the Conservatives in time for GE2015, and having Gove away from DfE helps that. Having him on the Today programme every week may not.

Incidentally, although there are many on here who are ready to criticise Gove-sceptics as being on the side of "producers' interests", I would be interested to know how many of them, in turn, are actually parents of school-age children.
    I am. And Gove is grudgingly admired in my daughter's part of north London, where the dire school situation is being rescued by a new Free School, the Archer Academy.

It's the teachers who hate Gove. not the parents.

I predict that history will judge Gove one of the most significant and impressive of Cameron's ministers, even if he was not the most adept politician.

The reason he is significant is that he has shifted the whole education debate 45 degrees to the Right. I predict that, whoever wins the GE in 2015, they will not reverse many of his reforms.
    As am I: a parent of school age children, that is. I agree with that view of Gove and everything that I've heard suggests that I'm not alone in that.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

I think you'll find that it's the Knights who say Ni!

• Options
    @camrobjones: @JGForsyth's take on the defence of the Gove drop is spot on. "Best way to entrench reforms is to win" #reshuffle http://t.co/QFUvdWzOK7
  • Options
    Anyway, some well timed comedy from Toby

Toby Young admitted losing two headteachers from his flagship free school was “not ideal” as he unveiled the school’s latest head.

No really stop laughing, it gets even better

But Mr Young today revealed that the already delayed move will not now take place until 2015 because “contaminants” have been found on the Palingswick House site.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/toby-young-letting-children-run-wild-and-play-is-romantic-rubbish-that-entrenches-inequality-9606636.html
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    LDs doing even worse than CONS among teachers in England.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

isam said:

Both my parents were teachers in what was then called ESN schools,I will not translate as it is too non PC.But yes they need a different means of education tailored to their abilities. Stands by to be flamed.

That I would agree with. The godparents of my children were both is a special needs teachers at an EBD school. The whole setup of the school and the training for the teachers needs to be different. The current trend towards trying to integrate EBD children into mainstream schooling is bad for the children and disruptive for the classes they go into.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Pulpstar said:

Sweet Lord.

Don't understand. What else could they say? "Spot on" or - equally damaging - "no comment"?

"I can tell you, if you are prime minister, the chief whip is one of the most important jobs in government.

"I wanted one of my big hitters, one of my real stars, one of my great brains, someone who has done extraordinary things for education in this country, to do that job, to deliver the government's programme, to help secure the future for our country.

Per BBC

It's definitely a demotion though.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    What Cameron has done today is to put his party on an election footing. He has probably made rather a good job of it but the important thing is that he has done it at all. Lab and Ukip are visibly rattled because they correctly see that the longer the election campaign - and it is now under way - the more certain they are to be exposed for the joke they both are. I detect the hand of a master strategist in this.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hugh said:

Anyway, some well timed comedy from Toby

Toby Young admitted losing two headteachers from his flagship free school was “not ideal” as he unveiled the school’s latest head.

No really stop laughing, it gets even better

But Mr Young today revealed that the already delayed move will not now take place until 2015 because “contaminants” have been found on the Palingswick House site.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/toby-young-letting-children-run-wild-and-play-is-romantic-rubbish-that-entrenches-inequality-9606636.html

Sounds like an off licence or a vintners in the area would do a roaring trade.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, clearly.

But some want to make it out to be a punishment for having 'done wrong' or 'been incompetent' in Education, as the first step to rolling back Gove's reforms.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_X said:

Pulpstar said:

Sweet Lord.

Per BBC

It's definitely a demotion though.
    Gove gets to control an unruly rabble. Perhaps Cameron thought he was the only one with the experience to handle it?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SouthamObserver

'Presumably you believe that the teachers who strike because they believe that education policy is wrong are doing the right thing.'

Can you remind us of any changes under Labour or Tory governments (other than pay increases) that teachers have actually agreed with?

• Options
    Hugh said:

DavidL said:

If you're a Gove True Believer then blame your leader Cameron for sacking him, not teachers or polling.
    I wouldn't say I was a true believer (even without capitals). I am absolutely willing to accept that Gove wound people up the wrong way, could be arrogant, was not willing to recognise when he was wrong, did not fully understand what the experts were saying and was sometimes plain wrong.

I was more than happy to forgive all of that because he got the main point: our education system simply does not work for the majority of our children and does not leave them capable of competing in an ever more competitive world. What we have will not do. Change is absolutely necessary.

The complacency and self indulgence of our educational establishment is a major economic threat to this country. It needs seriously shaken up. So even if Gove was not right sometimes (and he wasn't) his big picture was absolutely right and one of the best things about this government.
  • Options
    Carola said:

'Added to which the most deprived schools would attract a further pupil premium and teachers a salary premium tax free.

A £55M educational fund would also be allocated annually to the best 50 schools in the land. Each successfully nominated school would receive £1M and the winner a further £5M. The funding to be paid for by proper enforcement of compensation and seizure orders from the criminal classes.'

Again, this is a bit of a myth (though there are weak teachers of course, I'd never claim any different).

The biggest issue re discipline is weak/inconsistent, poorly managed/administered behaviour systems/processes. Not helped by the fact that Ofsted measure schools on exclusions/expulsions, so now managers will do anything to avoid even admitting that there is a problem.

Discipline/ethos comes from the top. Thankfully Ofsted are now going to be focusing on management of behaviour systems, which should help.

The one thing that 'turnaround' schools have in common is a well-led crackdown on behaviour. In fact, if you get that right, much of the rest follows.

Good post. Contrary to what some on here seem to believe teachers do want good behaviour in their lessons. Challenging schools need a robust system of sanctions/rewards, and it is the job of the head and senior managers to ensure it works.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    There's an excellent documentary on immigration on the BBC right now. Really does a great job of showing both sides.
  • Options
    Before I leave tonight you must all see and hear Farage's speech today:

Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 21m
    My speech from earlier today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI9DaXsotTI
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

I wouldn't say I was a true believer (even without capitals). I am absolutely willing to accept that Gove wound people up the wrong way, could be arrogant, was not willing to recognise when he was wrong, did not fully understand what the experts were saying and was sometimes plain wrong.

I was more than happy to forgive all of that because he got the main point: our education system simply does not work for the majority of our children and does not leave them capable of competing in an ever more competitive world. What we have will not do. Change is absolutely necessary.

The complacency and self indulgence of our educational establishment is a major economic threat to this country. It needs seriously shaken up. So even if Gove was not right sometimes (and he wasn't) his big picture was absolutely right and one of the best things about this government.
    But this is exactly what those lefty scrounging lazy so-called "teachers" have been saying.

Gove identified the problems correctly and astutely. Then made them worse.

Don't blame the education establishment (whatever that is) blame Gove for being abysmally crap in his job at Education.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @SeanT
    There might be a slight problem there, the idea is not going that well for the army

"Army reservists recruited to fill gaps created by cuts to the service will not be fully trained by the target date of 2018"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28307023
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Is anyone else just BORED of f*cking teachers and their overpaid whingeing? Loathsome. Sack em all and start again, like Reagan did with the Air Traffic Controllers.

I mean, how hard is it to teach 2+3 and then take 17 weeks paid holiday? Ugh. Wankers.

Is this the basis for your next blog article?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Smarmeron said:

Operation Cayacos?
    How many operations are the police working on now?

"Two charged with historical child sex abuse"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28314991

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1433834.ece
  • Options
    I was suspicious of the BBC being able to do a documentary on immigration impartially, but they've done a great job here. Really is hitting the important issues for people.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I was suspicious of the BBC being able to do a documentary on immigration impartially, but they've done a great job here. Really is hitting the important issues for people.

Not watching, as I'm not obsessed by immigration and immigrants.

Can you give us a summary so we can all roll our eyes and laugh at you, pub bore in the corner style?

• Options
    Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

But this is exactly what those lefty scrounging lazy so-called "teachers" have been saying.

Don't blame the education establishment (whatever that is) blame Gove for being abysmally crap in his job at Education.
    Rubbish. As I have said my sister is a teacher and I know those buffoons in the Unions speak for no one but themselves.

But the fact is the educational establishment think they are doing great. They look at grade inflation and give themselves endless pats on the back. They don't get how badly we are failing our kids. They resist change. They resist measurement and accountability. They do not accept attempts to measure the performance of teachers. They do not accept that the weak and the poor should be weeded out for the good of the children they blight.

I am sure that many in the teaching profession do not feel that way and Gove's greatest failing was his apparent inability to build coalitions of those wanting positive change, especially those in the profession.

Teachers are not lazy. I have never suggested such a thing. But they seriously need to up their game or we will have large scale structural unemployment in this country.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Hugh said:

Socrates said:

Can you give us a summary so we can all roll our eyes and laugh at you, pub bore in the corner style?

Well you be in a minority then pal,have you seen the polls lately.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Carola said:

Good post. Contrary to what some on here seem to believe teachers do want good behaviour in their lessons. Challenging schools need a robust system of sanctions/rewards, and it is the job of the head and senior managers to ensure it works.

There is a high-achieving school in London, in a "deprived" area, where the head teacher visits each home before the pupil is accepted. The parent(s) have to sign a contract promising full support and adherence to school rules on homework etc. It works.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Rubbish. As I have said my sister is a teacher and I know those buffoons in the Unions speak for no one but themselves.

But the fact is the educational establishment think they are doing great. They look at grade inflation and give themselves endless pats on the back. They don't get how badly we are failing our kids. They resist change. They resist measurement and accountability. They do not accept attempts to measure the performance of teachers. They do not accept that the weak and the poor should be weeded out for the good of the children they blight.

I am sure that many in the teaching profession do not feel that way and Gove's greatest failing was his apparent inability to build coalitions of those wanting positive change, especially those in the profession.

Teachers are not lazy. I have never suggested such a thing. But they seriously need to up their game or we will have large scale structural unemployment in this country.

So by "educational establishment" you mean unions. In the abstract.

I see where you're coming from now then. That was one reason Gove was such a failure too.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tykejohnno

'Well you be in a minority then pal,have you seen the polls lately.'

You need to make some allowances for wee Hughie,earlier on he thought it was hilarious that a school move was delayed due to contaminants being found on the new site.
  • Options
    SeanT It is not easy teaching a crowd of rowdy 14 year olds or lesson planning and marking late into the night
  • Options
    Just had a close encounter with a Kamikaze cat on the way back from the gym. Just as I was about to park a cat shot under the car, fortunately however the said cat shot back out again just as I put on the brakes
  • Options
    Fascinating episode of '56 Up' on ITV, a programme which has followed a ground of people since their 7th birthday, particularly the character of Neil
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Socrates said:

Immigration is the top concern for the British public. I take an interest in all the major political concerns, and I can and do debate everything from free schools to Syrian intervention. I also know a lot more about them than thicko lefties* like you, who merely resort to insults because they so struggle with the issues.

(*I don't mean all lefties are thickos. Just a subset of them. As exemplified by you.)
  • Options
    Cameron obviously trying his best to avoid by-elections. No sudden MP departures from the Gov't.

& When November comes the By-Elections will be rolled up to the GE anyway:

UK Politics Will UKIP win a by-election before the next general election?
    28-12-2014 22:00
    UKIP Special
    No @ 1/4

Looks like good value to me, but DYOR
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2014
    "There is a high-achieving school in London, in a "deprived" area, where the head teacher visits each home before the pupil is accepted. The parent(s) have to sign a contract promising full support and adherence to school rules on homework etc. It works."

That is part of the KIPPs model from the US, that has been very successful. If little Johnny is going to one of their schools, little Johnny AND the parent(s) must play a full part in supporting their child and the school. Failure to do that, and they are out.

Parents shrugging their shoulders and saying but I didn't know Johnny wasn't doing his homework, or not turning up to teachers evening doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Carola said:

Smarmeron said:

@BobaFett
    The "blob" was Goves witty term for the teaching profession.

I think the term was coined by a previous ed sec. Originally aimed at ed academics.
    You're right - a phrase coined long ago apparently, I'd not heard of the 'blob' before this morning so googled it.

"School reformers in the past often complained about what was called The Blob – the network of educational gurus in and around our universities who praised each others’ research, sat on committees that drafted politically correct curricula, drew gifted young teachers away from their vocation and instead directed them towards ideologically driven theory."

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cameron obviously trying his best to avoid by-elections. No sudden MP departures from the Gov't.

UKIP Special
    No @ 1/4

You'd have to imagine Newark was their last credible shot. Maybe even the last by-election of the parliament.
  • Options

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

Tonight's YouGov/Sun poll has
    CON 34
    LAB 38
    LD 6
    Ukip 13
    LD figure equals the lowest ever from YouGov

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Return of the blob ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28320724

"Liberal Democrat officials have rejected an attempt by Lord Rennard to overturn his suspension from the party.

The former chief executive of the Lib Dems had been suspended amid claims that he had brought the party into disrepute by failing to apologise over sexual harassment allegations.

The investigation into whether the peer brought the party into disrepute will now begin and party aides said they expected it to go on for some weeks."

Arf !
  • Options
    perdix said:

Carola said:

There is a high-achieving school in London, in a "deprived" area, where the head teacher visits each home before the pupil is accepted. The parent(s) have to sign a contract promising full support and adherence to school rules on homework etc. It works.

Yes sounds good. Not sure how that would work for us with 250 coming up in September though.

Mind you, what do I care about any of it now, really... I resigned last week.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379
    YouGov: CON 34 LAB 38 LD 6 Ukip 13. LibDems at equal historic low - but could be MOE.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2014
    HYUFD said:

SeanT It is not easy teaching a crowd of rowdy 14 year olds or lesson planning and marking late into the night

Some teachers have that special X factor so that you just don't piss about in their class. You pay attention and WORK. Others don't.. Its a case of finding enough that do.
  • Options

YouGov: CON 34 LAB 38 LD 6 Ukip 13. LibDems at equal historic low - but could be MOE.

It could also be an outlier.

ICM still don't have their bloody tables up !!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Yawn.. we have had the GOLD standard. That's what matters.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: LibDems now at 6% says YouGov poll. At what point do they panic? 5%? 3%? Remarkable discipline in face of possible annihilation.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: LibDems now at 6% says YouGov poll. At what point do they panic? 5%? 3%? Remarkable discipline in face of possible annihilation.

So long as they're annihilated in East Dunbartonshire...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Retweeted by Nick Palmer
    Kevin Brennan ‏@KevinBrennanMP 7h
    Following Cameron's reshuffle every one of the Ministers at the Department for Education in Lords and Commons attended a private school
  • Options
    Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

I see where you're coming from now then. That was one reason Gove was such a failure too.
    No. I mean the teacher training colleges, the educationalists, those who make a living out of telling teachers what they should be doing in class rooms that they avoid.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,617
    Meanwhile, did they just pass that snooping law whilst everyone was distracted by the re-shuffle?
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Unfortunately too many teachers are either crap, lazy or both and they get away with it if they have been in the job a few years. That never changed under Gove and even worse the holidays get longer and longer. Mine are off 7 and a half weeks this year, which is ridiculous, they don't get back to 10th September.
  • Options
    YouGov

Lab 351 seats
    Con 265
    Lib 9 (nine)

Lab Maj 52
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

UKIP Special
    No @ 1/4

You'd have to imagine Newark was their last credible shot. Maybe even the last by-election of the parliament.
    Allowed £68 on.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

So long as they're annihilated in East Dunbartonshire...
    East Dunbartsonshire could be just the beginning. The LD's are mystifying favourites in loads of Scottish seats...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fascinating episode of '56 Up' on ITV, a programme which has followed a ground of people since their 7th birthday, particularly the character of Neil

I think the first one I really remember was 21 up. 35 years ago. Wow.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379
    Supposedly (source: Twitter): Nicky Morgan sees her job as not only to serve her constituents but "to remember the Word of God and serve The Lord". Hmm.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

snip

No. I mean the teacher training colleges, the educationalists, those who make a living out of telling teachers what they should be doing in class rooms that they avoid.
    "those who make a living out of telling teachers what they should be doing in class rooms that they avoid. "

Like Michael Gove did for 4 years?
  • Options

Retweeted by Nick Palmer
    Kevin Brennan ‏@KevinBrennanMP 7h
    Following Cameron's reshuffle every one of the Ministers at the Department for Education in Lords and Commons attended a private school

Tristram Julian William Hunt ,just remembered, he's labour ;-)
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

Supposedly (source: Twitter): Nicky Morgan sees her job as not only to serve her constituents but "to remember the Word of God and serve The Lord". Hmm.

What do you make of the reshuffle, Nick?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Hugh said:

YouGov

Lab 351 seats
    Con 265
    Lib 9 (nine)

Lab Maj 52

Labour on slide. Crossover imminent! Lol
This discussion has been closed.