Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The election might be tomorrow but some of the counts could spill over into the weekend or even next

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2021 in General
imageThe election might be tomorrow but some of the counts could spill over into the weekend or even next week – politicalbetting.com

Based on information that has been collated by Tory peer, Lord Hayward, the vast majority of authorities will not be counting on the night. This is a great pity and means that the early “story” of the election will be determined by those that are. The overnight counts that I am aware of are:

Read the full story here

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,279
    First again!
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,239
    Last in war, last in peace, but first on this thread
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    I remember old days (1983) when it was over on the night.
    This was posted on previous thread, courtesy of Dr Spyn

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/news/elections-2021-day-day-guide-161848796.html
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,279
    edited May 2021

Nearly 😜
    All the pressure in these elections is on LAB or LD - CON defending historically high positions.

Feel it Keir :lol:
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2021
    Real Madrid showing the worst of the sterotypes of continental football, just like PSG last night.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,770

The make up of the Scottish Parliament won't be clear until the regional seats are allocated on the Saturday afternoon. Its not quite the US but it is disappointing.

Yet again, some dirty work at the PB crossroads. The kind of perfidy that turned the once loyal British subject George Washington into a revolting American!
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Happy to pay heed to this klaxon OGH is giving us. How it’s spun Friday night Saturday morning may not match reality Sunday night.
    DavidL said:

The make up of the Scottish Parliament won't be clear until the regional seats are allocated on the Saturday afternoon. Its not quite the US but it is disappointing.
    Don't be shocked when yours truly starts raving about what crap the British/Scottish/Welsh/English election system is, because we don't have returns johnny on the spot!

Will try to restrain myself, but would be but poetic justice if I didn't.
  • Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited May 2021

I had a feeling, and mentioned as much, that the dip we apparently witnessed was a temporary tumbleweed reaction to the sleaze onslaught.

Such temporary highs and lows do occur.

We know for example that there can be conference bounces of a similar amount to the sleaze drop: 4 or 5%.

What really counts is whether it sticks. Everything we are hearing on the ground seems to concur with a Cons poll lead of generous proportions. 9% would not be surprising.
    I kind of agree - I think a lot of people were genuinerly shocked by a tide of sleaze reports a couple of weeks ago, butit's faded into the background for now, and a Tory recovery would be a natural consequence. That said, I think it's left its mark - people will be less willing to give the Tories the benefit of the doubt when more stories surface - these things accumulate over time.
    I agree Nick. Whilst I suspect the sleaze may have dropped out of the polling this time I think you're absolutely right. The wounds will go just that little bit deeper next time and the one after and then the one after that.

Sleaze may be the undoing of Johnson. Or the union. But not, I suspect, the French.
  • I suggest we invade Saint Helena from the south. That will really show the French we mean business.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Ian Jones of the Press Association published a listing this afternoon of possible declaration times.

Scottish Parliament and some English Counties might not finish until Saturday afternoon.

He implies that some results might not appear until Monday, mainly PCC and any recounts might spill over into Tuesday.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    Real Madrid are a shadow of the team they were and Chelsea should be out of sight
    dr_spyn said:

Ian Jones of the Press Association published a listing this afternoon of possible declaration times.

Scottish Parliament and some English Counties might not finish until Saturday afternoon.

He implies that some results might not appear until Monday, mainly PCC and any recounts might spill over into Tuesday.

Will be a long weekend on here. But no one gives a toss about PCC.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I suggest we invade Saint Helena from the south. That will really show the French we mean business.

Already ours surely?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Well, yes...

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,248
    WAR IT IS

Real Madrid are a shadow of the team they were and Chelsea should be out of sight

Financial juggernaut that is EPL = English teams packed with talent.

And some fans want to scrap that and go for the Bundersliga model, where Bayern win every year....
    Leon said:

WAR IT IS

Remember they lasted 4 weeks in 1940. We lasted 6 years.
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

WAR IT IS

Don't be silly, the French surrender when it gets to the fighting.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Are we at sanctions or appropriate measures yet?

I suggest we invade Saint Helena from the south. That will really show the French we mean business.

For God's sake, please do NOT share this idea with the PM!

Because my guess is he does NOT realize, that St Helena is a British possession. Except that is for Longwood House.

So Boris could order the local constabulary to seize Longwood AND Napoleon's Tomb, then hold latter for ransom until the Quai d'Orsay ceases & desists.

BUT then he'd discover that the bird (or rather the bee) has already flown . . .

Well, yes...

Don't hurry back Lewis.....
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    We've got a looong wait until the West Yorkshire mayor declaration. But if we don't win that we are totally fecked.

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    My understanding of Scotland is that some constituencies don't count until Saturday. And as they can't calculate list seats until all of them are done, it will be late Saturday at the earliest until we have a result.

I was thinking more Corsica. Surely this alleged mission to the far east for the Queen Elizabeth is just a cover story?

An all English Champions League Final would be a fitting end to the year of Brexit and British vaccine triumph and our brilliant but forthcoming cruise missile attack on the Dordogne
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited May 2021

My understanding of Scotland is that some constituencies don't count until Saturday. And as they can't calculate list seats until all of them are done, it will be late Saturday at the earliest until we have a result.

Will we have any indication prior?
    Early results from some constituencies perhaps?
    tlg86 said:

Why would we impose sanctions? The UK is not the Bailiwick of Jersey.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited May 2021
    What better moment for tinpot Brexit-Falklands symbolism for Boris, on the eve of the elections.

Yes, all very frustrating.
    THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

WAR
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Strange front page.
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

An all English Champions League Final would be a fitting end to the year of Brexit and British vaccine triumph and our brilliant but forthcoming cruise missile attack on the Dordogne
    The thing is unlike every other league in Europe, not only are Man City and Chelsea among the best in Europe, in their domestic league pretty much every team gives them an extreme competitive game every week...

Will we have any indication prior?
    Early results from some constituencies perhaps?
    Breakdown of which seats count when is on the Daily Record (oh yes)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-election-results-announced-24029476
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Strange front page.

The new face off film looks terrible.
    Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

Said Boris to his latest lover....
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
    Admiral HYUFD is leading the invasion of Scotland France
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

I had a feeling, and mentioned as much, that the dip we apparently witnessed was a temporary tumbleweed reaction to the sleaze onslaught.

Such temporary highs and lows do occur.

We know for example that there can be conference bounces of a similar amount to the sleaze drop: 4 or 5%.

What really counts is whether it sticks. Everything we are hearing on the ground seems to concur with a Cons poll lead of generous proportions. 9% would not be surprising.
    I kind of agree - I think a lot of people were genuinerly shocked by a tide of sleaze reports a couple of weeks ago, butit's faded into the background for now, and a Tory recovery would be a natural consequence. That said, I think it's left its mark - people will be less willing to give the Tories the benefit of the doubt when more stories surface - these things accumulate over time.
    I agree Nick. Whilst I suspect the sleaze may have dropped out of the polling this time I think you're absolutely right. The wounds will go just that little bit deeper next time and the one after and then the one after that.

Sleaze may be the undoing of Johnson. Or the union. But not, I suspect, the French.
    May 26th is getting ever closer. Hell hath no fury like a myopian scorned.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
    I'm happy to parachute into Menton, and seize the brasserie down by the marina
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    DavidL said:

By the time we have a result, it will be overlooked by the media, who will be following the British Invasion of France.
    We need to Blockade the Continent
    Macron is clearly trying to jolly Boris Johnson along, by giving the Tories something to rave about and rally around (besides Carrie's taste in interior design) on the eve of the elections.

Because he calculates Boris will be across the negotiating table for some time to come?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    Finally Chelsea book their ticket in the final

tlg86 said:

Isn't the UK responsible for foreign relations?
    edited May 2021
    This is just the latest in a line of French nonsense...remember the stopping the lorry drivers back in France (not backed by any science), vaccines, etc.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Kante has been fantastic tonight. Fancy Chelsea might beat City in the final.

This is just the latest in a line of French nonsense...remember the stopping the lorry drivers back in France (not backed by any science), vaccines, etc.

They are tormented and distorted by the presence of Le Pen. This is what a menacingly electable, quasi-Fascist Opposition does to you

Those who wanted to cancel Brexit with a 2nd referendum - or even Revoke!!! - need to reflect on this. Always follow democracy: and obey
    ENGLAND WILL ALWAYS
  • I may well be as drunk as a sailor, but the editor of the Sun pays more than the Navy.
    Should we really have 10,000s of fans going to Turkey?
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
    Funny you should mention. One of my best mates at school's Dad was from Menton. He spoke 6 languages fluently and graduated from Beirut with a Masters in Modern Languages.
    He chose a career teaching at a Secondary Modern in Wigan.
    Nowt as queer as folk.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    Leon said:

Only a matter of time before the entire Continent surrenders. British naval power is at its zenith.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703
    Leon said:

WAR IT IS

Lol.

DavidL said:

By the time we have a result, it will be overlooked by the media, who will be following the British Invasion of France.
    The impact overall will not be anything like the same for all the elections. It may be super Thursday but results wise it is going to be a damp squib.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
    Funny you should mention. One of my best mates at school's Dad was from Menton. He spoke 6 languages fluently and graduated from Beirut with a Masters in Modern Languages.
    He chose a career teaching at a Secondary Modern in Wigan.
    Nowt as queer as folk.
    If I was FORCED to choose a place to live in frankly loathsome France, it would be Menton

Glorious climate, excellent food, little Mistral, not as mad as the rest of the Riviera, and you can escape to Italy in 5 minutes when the French get too annoying (which they invariably do)
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
    Secret agent Woger is already on scene
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Isn't the UK responsible for foreign relations?
    Yes.

When it was Jersey<>Normandy it worked fine.

Now its Jersey>UK>EU>France>Normandy>France>EU>UK>Jersey>UK>EU>France>Normandy

It's a miracle any of it works at all....

edited May 2021
    I notice all the moaning from people.saying they can't afford quarantine hotels, so have had to fly to Turkey... despite them travelling to the Indian subcontinent to go to weddings...

We've got a looong wait until the West Yorkshire mayor declaration. But if we don't win that we are totally fecked.

One less troublesome by election, not to have to worry about though.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Stephen Reicher, a Professor of Social Psychology at the University of St Andrews and member of SAGE, has warned that the introduction of vaccine passports could lead to people refusing to get vaccinated against Covid.

"There is a very traditional, well-known psychological process called reactance: that if you take away people’s autonomy, if you force them to do something, they will reassert their autonomy, even if that means not doing things that they would otherwise want to do."

https://lockdownsceptics.org/2021/05/04/covid-vaccine-passports-could-lead-to-fewer-people-getting-vaccinated-says-sage-psychologist/
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    DavidL said:

Strange front page.

Moronic. Scottish independence = 20 more years of Labour opposition. But they still cannot redirect their guns towards the correct enemy. Labour make the placing of the guns on Singapore look strategic.
    Scottish independence would give Labour a better chance of being the governing party in Scotland. Listening to their former red wall voters would give them a better chance of being the governing party in England.

Should we really have 10,000s of fans going to Turkey?

Absolutely fucking not!!!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

Only a matter of time before the entire Continent surrenders. British naval power is at its zenith.

Cunning of the French to wait until our working aircraft carrier was heading for distant shores

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
    Admiral HYUFD is leading the invasion of Scotland France
    His extensive knowledge of shipping and ferry routes will be invaluable.

Leon said:

We have TWO aircraft carriers. And a QUEEN

What do they have? Crescent shaped breakfast snacks. Pfff

it is, frankly, pathetic. I feel sorry for them. We should offer terms of surrender now, to spare them the usual, prolonged humiliation; all I demand is Emmanuel Macron is forced to strip naked in Trafalgar Square while Ant and Dec laugh at his penis. That will do. Britain is magnanimous
    Scott_xP said:

Cunning of the French to wait until our working aircraft carrier was heading for distant shores
    We are lucky that their aircraft carrier doesn't actually work
    Scott_xP said:

It's currently doing a uey...
    Scott_xP said:

Given the proximity of France that hardly matters.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

We have TWO aircraft carriers. And a QUEEN

What do they have? Crescent shaped breakfast snacks. Pfff

it is, frankly, pathetic. I feel sorry for them. We should offer terms of surrender now, to spare them the usual, prolonged humiliation; all I demand is Emmanuel Macron is forced to strip naked in Trafalgar Square while Ant and Dec laugh at his penis. That will do. Britain is magnanimous
    Its ok - they will be in a civil war soon enough :wink:
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    tlg86 said:

Kante has been fantastic tonight. Fancy Chelsea might beat City in the final.

I really hope not. Would be a travesty. Be like Hugh Grant winning an Oscar.

I may well be as drunk as a sailor, but the editor of the Sun pays more than the Navy.

You're not drunk. The rest of us are seeing double. Is that Leon or Lion?

DavidL said:

Strange front page.

Moronic. Scottish independence = 20 more years of Labour opposition. But they still cannot redirect their guns towards the correct enemy. Labour make the placing of the guns on Singapore look strategic.
    Scottish independence would give Labour a better chance of being the governing party in Scotland. Listening to their former red wall voters would give them a better chance of being the governing party in England.
    The SNP in Scotland would lose power shortly after the ANC do in SA. I'm not saying it would never happen but it would take a while. And god knows what would be left of our democracy, our education system and our economy by then.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Has Macron noticed that it is 200 years to the day since Napoleon Bonaparte died?
    I have just found out that the Labour candidate for the mayor of Tees Valley is actually really fit. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Strange front page.

The SNP in Scotland would lose power shortly after the ANC do in SA. I'm not saying it would never happen but it would take a while. And god knows what would be left of our democracy, our education system and our economy by then.
    Good news Scotland won't go independent. Boris will take the initiative and allow Sturgeon to call the poll in 2023.

Independence 42% Union 58%. End of that for 100 years.

SNP = up the road both at GE2024 and Scotland 2026.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dr_spyn said:

Has Macron noticed that it is 200 years to the day since Napoleon Bonaparte died?

Yes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/napoleon-is-part-of-us-macron-tells-france-after-row-over-anniversary
    All English Champions League Final

Heh

The symbolism is intense. As we chase the craven Frogs from our beloved Channel Isles, we should now demand the return of Heligoland, Menorca, Corfu, Calais (actually they can keep that), all of Malta, Boulogne, the British protectorate of the Rhine, and Aquitaine.
    Scottish Sun:

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    I feel some precision coming on - Cons win Hartlepool by 3500 votes.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398

One less troublesome by election, not to have to worry about though.
    Ah, yes. We've got that humiliation to look forward to.

I have just found out that the Labour candidate for the mayor of Tees Valley is actually really fit. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?

Howay man. You're right like.
    The important information isn't on here.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

I may well be as drunk as a sailor, but the editor of the Sun pays more than the Navy.

You're not drunk. The rest of us are seeing double. Is that Leon or Lion?
    If posting from Penarth has resumed does this mean we are about to be hit by a massive 4th wave of vaccine-resistant covid which will make the capital city unliveable in?
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

THIS IS IT LADS

WE'RE GOING IN

After you.
    In emulation of a fellow writer, Ernest Hemingway, who famously liberated the Ritz (also Gertrude Stein & Alice B. Toklas) in 1944.

But of course Papa H was fighting WITH the French NOT against them. Which may have influenced the way he was treated by the barman. Or at least earned him a free drink.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Leon said:

WAR IT IS

Given what I said earlier, I might have to vote Tory tomorrow now.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/napoleon-is-part-of-us-macron-tells-france-after-row-over-anniversary
    I have seen his original grave site, on St. Helena.

Tiny. And as remote as you can get on St. Helena.
    I'm not sure there's anything the EU can even do against us now. Nutmegged them with vaccines, now we slam home a supergoal in the footie, even as their leagues collapse into bankrupt irrelevance

WE WIN

"My candidate can beat up your candidate! And I don't just mean in the House of Commons!"
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    This is intriguing. Evening Standard is reporting that senior EU figures are standing ready to help shoot down the ambitions of Scottish separatism in exchange for movement on the Northern Ireland Protocol.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/no10-scottish-independence-boris-johnson-nicola-sturgeon-b933342.html https://twitter.com/PerfidiousAlbn/status/1390042934125412358/photo/1
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Geez Gallow you set the bar low. Very low.

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

I have seen his original grave site, on St. Helena.

Tiny. And as remote as you can get on St. Helena.
    Very jealous. I LOVE remote islands, the remoter the better.

What is it like on St Helena?! Is it moody?

Easter Island is incredibly spooky. Also the Solovetskys and St Kilda. All haunted in different ways
    HMS Severn and HMS Tamar are deploying to Jersey to conduct maritime security patrols. This is a strictly precautionary measure and has been agreed with the Jersey Government.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1390048474838749186?s=20
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

I'm not sure there's anything the EU can even do against us now. Nutmegged them with vaccines, now we slam home a supergoal in the footie, even as their leagues collapse into bankrupt irrelevance

WE WIN

We should unilaterally declare the final will be held at Wembley.

In front of 80,000 double-vaccinated people aged over 65.
This discussion has been closed.