Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The election might be tomorrow but some of the counts could spill over into the weekend or even next

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,330
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Is Sadiq Khan’s lead narrowing in London?
    Labour and Conservative sources both believe that the race to be London’s next mayor is closer than thought.
    BY STEPHEN BUSH

Sadiq Khan’s lead has narrowed in the final set of polls before election day, meaning the London Mayor may no longer avoid a second round run-off against his Conservative opponent Shaun Bailey.
    In a further blow, Khan’s staff and well-placed Tories both believe that the polls are underestimating the fall in the mayor’s support as a combination of complacency among voters and anxiety about Covid-19 hurts the Labour incumbent’s chances."

https://www.newstatesman.com/uk

If Khan ends up in a runoff against Shaun Bailey - of all people - Labour will have had a very bad night even if they somehow squeak Hartlepool and second place at Holyrood.
    Not much chance then of it being terrrrrrible night for the Conservatives....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

If Labour do badly tomorrow everyone's going to blame Keir Starmer. But I think they'd probably be doing even worse with anyone else. He's the best choice available at the moment.

Labour should have done what the Conservatives did back in 2005, taken a chance and elected a fresh new Labour Leader as the Conservatives did when they elected Cameron. Like the Conservatives back then, Labour had the same luxury of time to embed and build up support for a new leader before another GE. But unfortunately, they elected the Conservative equivalent of David Davis instead, and Keir Starmer was already carrying so much baggage due to his high profile role in Corbyn's dysfunctional shadow Cabinet on the issue of Brexit during the chaotic couple of years after Theresa May lost her majority. As it stands now, Labour are probable going to have to have another Leadership election before the next GE. I also fully expect the Conservatives to be on their fouth Leader/PM by the time the next GE is called.

It's just not going to be a Boris Johnson vs Keir Starmer fight at the next GE, it will come down to which party picks the right leadership successor along with how the public judge the Conservatives guidence of the country through the post pandemic economic recovery and the timing of the contests.

Who remembers the early days of that 2005 Conservative leadership contest when David Davis was the nailed on favourite to win while Cameron was regarded as an also ran among far bigger political beasts? The culmination of that Leadership contest whereby the various candidates had to address Conference with a speech should have become a template for future leadership contests in political parties, yet it didn't and the Labour party are still no where near regaining power eleven years after they lost the 2010 GE because they keep making the same mistake of choosing a Labour leader that will appeal to the membership rather than one that will appeal to the voters outside the Labour party and who are vital to them getting elected. That is why the public turned off during the last three Labour leadership contests, they were not invited to the debate so were not interested in the outcome. But that Conservative leadership contest in 2005 did the opposite, it got the public interested, and then the Conservative party ditched the favourite and went for the candidate the public showed some interest in, the rest is history.
    Two problems with your thesis. Starmer polls or at least polled well. Labour is in a very, very different position to the Conservatives in 2005. Cameron would not have been elected if, say, John Redwood or Norman Tebbitt had been leader for 5 years.

The time for a detailed discussion about all this starts at 10pm. But for now, good luck to all those standing.
    Since 1979 apart from John Smith, how many decent Labour leaders have there been? My answer would be zero, Blair being discounted because of IRAQ... and the millions of deaths that have happened as a result.
    Tory doesn’t like Labour leaders shock.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053
    Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

I have just found out that the Labour candidate for the mayor of Tees Valley is actually really fit. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?

Err… yer wot?
    Jessie Joe Jacobs. She sounds quite impressive in a non-party sense. Lots of ideas; interesting back-story.
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19269310.labours-tees-valley-mayoral-candidate-jessie-joe-jacobs-says-she-born-this/
    "The many syllabled name of Jessie Joe Jacobs’ grandfather tumbles almost magically from her lips.

“Moses Majekodunmi,” she says, with a smile. “He ended up with a mayoral role in Nigeria after they got independence in 1960. He was a brilliant man by all accounts and had a political role at such a significant time – he went to America and met JFK.”

She only really became aware of her grandfather’s achievements in her teens, of how he started as a doctor but was appointed to run the west of Nigeria in a time of political crisis. She met him once, shortly before he died in 2012 at the age of 95, and it reinforced her desire to seek political change."
    The Northern Echo has been acting as a PR agency for her since the campaign started. Whatever they write she has not been a good candidate. She has been quite unimpressive. Covid hasn’t helped but she contracted it late in the campaign and, fortunately, she seems to be over it. She’s typical modern labour. Former charity worker, currently heading up a food and drink quango and her election campaign and material has been based very much on the usual guff that ticks labour HQ’s box. Climate crisis, green new deal etc, etc. Policy platform by party lobbyists.

I feel quite sorry for her. She’s openly derided by some local labour grandees and she seems very personable. But she’s not mayor material.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

If Labour do badly tomorrow everyone's going to blame Keir Starmer. But I think they'd probably be doing even worse with anyone else. He's the best choice available at the moment.

Labour should have done what the Conservatives did back in 2005, taken a chance and elected a fresh new Labour Leader as the Conservatives did when they elected Cameron. Like the Conservatives back then, Labour had the same luxury of time to embed and build up support for a new leader before another GE. But unfortunately, they elected the Conservative equivalent of David Davis instead, and Keir Starmer was already carrying so much baggage due to his high profile role in Corbyn's dysfunctional shadow Cabinet on the issue of Brexit during the chaotic couple of years after Theresa May lost her majority. As it stands now, Labour are probable going to have to have another Leadership election before the next GE. I also fully expect the Conservatives to be on their fouth Leader/PM by the time the next GE is called.

It's just not going to be a Boris Johnson vs Keir Starmer fight at the next GE, it will come down to which party picks the right leadership successor along with how the public judge the Conservatives guidence of the country through the post pandemic economic recovery and the timing of the contests.

Who remembers the early days of that 2005 Conservative leadership contest when David Davis was the nailed on favourite to win while Cameron was regarded as an also ran among far bigger political beasts? The culmination of that Leadership contest whereby the various candidates had to address Conference with a speech should have become a template for future leadership contests in political parties, yet it didn't and the Labour party are still no where near regaining power eleven years after they lost the 2010 GE because they keep making the same mistake of choosing a Labour leader that will appeal to the membership rather than one that will appeal to the voters outside the Labour party and who are vital to them getting elected. That is why the public turned off during the last three Labour leadership contests, they were not invited to the debate so were not interested in the outcome. But that Conservative leadership contest in 2005 did the opposite, it got the public interested, and then the Conservative party ditched the favourite and went for the candidate the public showed some interest in, the rest is history.
    Two problems with your thesis. Starmer polls or at least polled well. Labour is in a very, very different position to the Conservatives in 2005. Cameron would not have been elected if, say, John Redwood or Norman Tebbitt had been leader for 5 years.

The time for a detailed discussion about all this starts at 10pm. But for now, good luck to all those standing.
    Since 1979 apart from John Smith, how many decent Labour leaders have there been? My answer would be zero, Blair being discounted because of IRAQ... and the millions of deaths that have happened as a result.
    No... its a serious question.. none of them apart from Smith would you think was a leader of standing that you could envisage as PM.. and I am voting Ĺib Dem today.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited May 2021

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour and Conservative sources both believe that the race to be London’s next mayor is closer than thought.
    BY STEPHEN BUSH

Sadiq Khan’s lead has narrowed in the final set of polls before election day, meaning the London Mayor may no longer avoid a second round run-off against his Conservative opponent Shaun Bailey.
    In a further blow, Khan’s staff and well-placed Tories both believe that the polls are underestimating the fall in the mayor’s support as a combination of complacency among voters and anxiety about Covid-19 hurts the Labour incumbent’s chances."

If Khan ends up in a runoff against Shaun Bailey - of all people - Labour will have had a very bad night even if they somehow squeak Hartlepool and second place at Holyrood.
    At the moment, with these polls, there’s little chance of that anyway. It’s almost a free hit for them. Nobody expects them to win Scotland, or Wales, or London, and they seem likely to come second in all of them. The counties still seem fairly solidly Tory and although they might lose a couple of leafy southern districts, will people really wake up screaming, ‘Johnson must go, the Tories have lost overall control of Oxfordshire?’

Similarly in Hartlepool this is a seat they don’t hold. If they win, it’s a bonus. If they don’t, it’s hardly going to to be a resigning matter.

I suspect they will go backwards in terms of council seats, but not by a lot, and the rest will be a bit ‘meh.’

And if they don’t go backwards, win in Hartlepool, and exceed expectations in Wales, it will be portrayed as a good night for them.

The issue will be if the SNP get an outright majority, in which case the squabbling over a section 30 order will start.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,235
    Not a bad headline by a Telegraph sub-editor:-

Freewheeling Boris rolls into ‘Super Thursday’, while stumbling Starmer prepares to lick his wounds
    It's hard not to pity Sir Keir’s plight – Captain Hindsight if he attacks the Government, or a Tory collaborator if he supports it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/05/ever-showman-boris-tries-fails-rein-bullishness-ahead-super/ (£££ but it's the headline that counts)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

No... its a serious question.. none of them apart from Smith would you think was a leader of standing that you could envisage as PM.. and I am voting Ĺib Dem today.
    Smith, Blair, Brown, Milliband and certainly Starmer could be PM. Corbyn, whilst unlikely IMO as PM, got 40% of the vote in 2017 which is more than most and deserves respect.

Milliband much like Hague became leader too young, but like Hague has since developed gravitas.

There is not much difference in quality with Tory leaders in the past 20 years.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Has Macron noticed that it is 200 years to the day since Napoleon Bonaparte died?

Yes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/napoleon-is-part-of-us-macron-tells-france-after-row-over-anniversary
    I have seen his original grave site, on St. Helena.

Tiny. And as remote as you can get on St. Helena.
    Very jealous. I LOVE remote islands, the remoter the better.

What is it like on St Helena?! Is it moody?

Easter Island is incredibly spooky. Also the Solovetskys and St Kilda. All haunted in different ways
    It is wonderfully craggy and sheer on the coast, with lots of big whales and dolphins. It still feels like 1820 in the main street. They clearly had a lot of surplus cannon. The jail holds perhaps two people.

Then you get to the inside of the island, and it feels like the Home Counties. From a Marple.

The Napoleon stuff is wonderful - his iconic coat and hat on a chaise longue at Longwood House feel as if it was just placed down moments ago. But the real treat is the house he first stayed at, Briar's Pavilion, by the heart-shaped waterfall. It was gifted as French territory. If they continue to play silly buggers over Jersey, we should annex it.
    Gawd. Sounds great, I'd love to go

Have you done Pitcairn or Tristan?

I haven't, but I hear they are spectacularly strange. Easter Island is one of the few places in the world where I've nearly lost my shit because it's so spooky. People forget all moai - the statues - were hurled down in a great iconoclasm, as the civilisation collapsed - no one is sure why, possibly deforestation inducing climate change inducing horror

At the far east end of the island (where no one lives) you can stand on a high cliff and look out to sea and know there is no one looking back at you for thousands and thousands of miles. It is not a *nice* feeling. It is disquieting in the extreme. And the weird noises....
    Tristan da Cunha I have been to. You can go all the way there - and have not much better than a 50:50 chance of landing, due to the only harbour being out of action if the winds are wrong. As you draw near, it looks like a James Bond baddies' pad - just a volcano. There is a strip of land that houses Edinburgh of the Seven Seas (the capital) a golf course that is mostly boulders and "the potato fields", where they build shacks and spend the summer, amidst, er their potatoes.

They have a shop with nothing much less than than two years out of its sell-by date.

And the people are a weird agglomeration of every nationality. It is as near to a pirate island as you can imagine.

From Tristan you can visit Nightingale Island and the gloriously named Inaccessible Island. but you have to have landed on Tristan first, to get permission. So you can spend weeks getting there and never set foot on any land.

You'd love it.
    God, I really would

I visited the Solovestskys before plague, and there's an island there where Peter the Great built a chapel and lesbians were interred in a Gulag, but landing is REALLY hard, and generally impossible outside high summer

I never made it, but the main Solovetsky is intoxicating enough. And they do have a kind of airstrip

So Tristan you could sail for weeks.... and then never get ashore?!?! Mad

But, yes, tantalising. I might make an end-of-plague vow to myself. When all this shit is over I will go somewhere insane. Just to know that I am free, again

That sounds like a good option
    I did a 5 week trip that took in Ushaia, Antarctica, South Georgia, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha (with added Inaccessible Island), St. Helena, Ascension Island, Cape Verde. (I could have taken the option to fly back from Ascension, but as the Vulcan wasn't an option, I stayed on....)
    That's a magnificent itinerary. Highlights?
    Before we even set off on the boat, loved the Patagonia National Park. The journey out from Ushuaia through the Drake Passage - the Roaring Forties and Fifties - was glassy smooth. No 40 foot waves for us. So much for the weather! We laugh at your fearsome reputation! Until we actually got to Antarctica...

If you weren't on the bridge at 6.00 am to see the peaks of mountains, you didn't see anything of Antarctica. We we were a week later than anyone had done the trip before. The blizzards of the first winter storm of the year told us why. We couldn't land. We spent 48 hours in a poorly-charted bay, avoiding icebergs that don't half shift with a force 12 behind them. Minus 17, but with the wind-chill, minus 50. Sea water freezes on the vessel in those temperatures. And there were no other boats to come to our aid. The ship's captain, a Dutchman in his 70's, said they were the most difficult 2 days he had ever experienced in his career...

A highlight should have been going to an Adelie's penguin colony. We saw one, sat on an iceberg as it shot past the side of the boat. We watched a seal toboggan along another - until the seal stood up! A very rare sighting that far north of an Emperor penguin. Then the blizzard returned - and it too was lost.

We did eventually escape that bay and made a run to South Georgia. The first views of South Georgia were awe-inspiring, even more so as we had largely followed Shackleton's route from Elephant Island to Cape Disappointment (so named because Cook sailed round it thinking they had found Australia - only to see that same Cape again far too quickly on their journey....).

If you want weird atmosphere, South Georgia has it. Not so much in Grytviken, although the church amidst the detritus of whaling - including a ship with its harpoon still mounted at the front - has it. And there is Sir Ernest Shackleton's grave in the small cemetery, with dead whalers and an Argentinian submariner for company. But the spookier place is the old whaling station of Stromness, round the coast. Closed now because it is packed full of asbestos, you can still see the foreman's house where Shackleton and his men knocked on the door, having sailed then walked over a glacier to reach it. Apparently the bath he used to clean up (and shave off the beard that made him unrecognisable) is still in there.

The Foehn winds still rip down to the fjord, whilst beneath your ship lie a mountain of whale bones. It's not the ghosts of the whalers you feel there - it's the ghosts of the whales....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    edited May 2021

felix said:

Very gloomy article from the Guardian about Labour expectations across the country

"Labour MPs across England contacted by the Guardian about the mood on the doorstep warned of “apathy” among voters. Some complained about Labour’s lack of concrete proposals to sell to a sceptical electorate. “There is zero policy,” said one frontbencher.

“People don’t really know what we stand for, so we’re having to fall back on the time-honoured tradition of anti-Tory sentiment,” complained another MP.

“The focus of getting people to vote Labour who did previously and don’t any more is the right one – but it’s the way they’ve done it,” said a leftwing backbencher. “They’ve approached it in a way which is a caricature of northern, working-class people: beer, fish and chips and flags.”

Several warned that the Green party were eating into Labour’s support in some areas, ...'

Seems a bit excessive to me - expectations management?

The left of centre space does appear more crowded than ever: LDs, Greens, Labour all fighting over a centre & left ground and in Wales throw in PC as well n- all sustained by social media. It may be nothing new (remember Euros 1989) but but it all makes Labour's job that bit harder
    On the island people moan about the Tory council, which comparatively isn't a good one, tied to a series of fiascos - yet when it comes to election time there's an avalanche of opposing choices - not only Labour and the LibDems (much depleted nowadays) and a very active Green Party, we have three different rival networks of Independent candidates, in some wards standing against each other. A Tory hold looks a certainty, despite the minor irritation of a handful of ex-Tory ex-UKIP candidates who have formed their own new party.

A couple of the Independent leaders and the Greens were in the paper last week pleading with voters to work out who stands the best chance in each ward; if only they had identified more common purpose before nominations closed.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

Smith, Blair, Brown, Milliband and certainly Starmer could be PM. Corbyn, whilst unlikely IMO as PM, got 40% of the vote in 2017 which is more than most and deserves respect.

Milliband much like Hague became leader too young, but like Hague has since developed gravitas.

I am not talking about Tory leaders some have been truly awful. Labours problem is that they haven't had anybody voters could visualise as PM material. The Tories have had duffers but Labour has been even worse with its leaders.... Quad erat demonstrandum.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

I am not talking about Tory leaders some have been truly awful. Labours problem is that they haven't had anybody voters could visualise as PM material. The Tories have had duffers but Labour has been even worse with its leaders.... Quad erat demonstrandum.
    For most of the last decade nobody but Boris could visualise Boris as PM, but PM he is.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    And that’s it.

The flotilla is now heading back to France after making its point.

And, whatever your view, they’ve achieved it with a mass of international coverage.

What happens next is the interesting bit.

https://twitter.com/garyburgessci/status/1390189028897660929?s=21
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

For most of the last decade nobody but Boris could visualise Boris as PM, but PM he is.
    I dont think that's true.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

BY STEPHEN BUSH

But he's a terrrrrrrrible knight for Labour.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

But who in Labour has that level of burning ambition? OK, SKS could sit in a Shadow Cabinet waiting his turn, as he turned a blind eye to the antisemitism erupting all around. But who is there that wants to forge a new coalition with voters to win a majority - and take the ferocious flak from his own side in doing so? Who has the rhino hide shown by Boris?
  • Options

As for Labour I think they're in the wilderness. They need a Moses to lead them into the promised land and I'm afraid I don't think it's Sir Keir, decent though he is.

It will HAVE to be a northerner (or a Scot). Someone who can speak the language of the blue Labour voters. A genuine patriot.

But, frankly, much more of this kind of situation this morning with vaccine bounces, bashing the Froggies and all-English Champions League finals and Boris will have another landslide next time around. His undoing, eventually, will be his own character failings but he has been underestimated far too frequently.

Looking around Europe, the centre-left has more than just a missing messiah problem.

In the medium term the hope must be that some sort of successful Biden-ism becomes a successful export from the US. Although in the UK we'll probably find the government doing it already.
  • Options
    I’m prepared for the Labour catastrophe today. Starmer though should not be resigning, primarily because that will give the left a foothold again and they’ll do even worse.

The priority for him now must be reshuffling the Shadow Cabinet and developing some big, bold, simple ideas.
  • Options

It's all kicking off.....

I saw HMS Severn go past my window yesterday morning. How is it going to switch the lights back on?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

Not at all true. He was often mooted about as a possible future Party Leader and PM. Has been for a long time. He was favourite off and on for years.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited May 2021

IanB2 said:

Five minutes to go!

Although election days aren’t the same without an early morning delivery finishing about now.

Good morning everyone.

Agree, Mr B2; no organising the first tellers nowadays, either.
    It is bight and sunny here though; reminds me of two beautiful mornings in early May 1997; May 1st and 2nd!
    Ah, memories!
    I have tellers out at my three polling stations and deliverers out delivering. Knocking up from midday.

EDIT: Us cockroaches don't give up easily!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    I have a strong suspicion that Boris is about to be "lucky" again. No doubt those who insist on calling him Bozo or the clown will have their excuses ready once more.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

But who in Labour has that level of burning ambition? OK, SKS could sit in a Shadow Cabinet waiting his turn, as he turned a blind eye to the antisemitism erupting all around. But who is there that wants to forge a new coalition with voters to win a majority - and take the ferocious flak from his own side in doing so? Who has the rhino hide shown by Boris?
    You don’t get the Born to Rule arrogance on the Labour benches. Ultimately that’s a good thing.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

I have just found out that the Labour candidate for the mayor of Tees Valley is actually really fit. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?

Err… yer wot?
    Jessie Joe Jacobs. She sounds quite impressive in a non-party sense. Lots of ideas; interesting back-story.
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19269310.labours-tees-valley-mayoral-candidate-jessie-joe-jacobs-says-she-born-this/
    "The many syllabled name of Jessie Joe Jacobs’ grandfather tumbles almost magically from her lips.

“Moses Majekodunmi,” she says, with a smile. “He ended up with a mayoral role in Nigeria after they got independence in 1960. He was a brilliant man by all accounts and had a political role at such a significant time – he went to America and met JFK.”

She only really became aware of her grandfather’s achievements in her teens, of how he started as a doctor but was appointed to run the west of Nigeria in a time of political crisis. She met him once, shortly before he died in 2012 at the age of 95, and it reinforced her desire to seek political change."
    The Northern Echo has been acting as a PR agency for her since the campaign started. Whatever they write she has not been a good candidate. She has been quite unimpressive. Covid hasn’t helped but she contracted it late in the campaign and, fortunately, she seems to be over it. She’s typical modern labour. Former charity worker, currently heading up a food and drink quango and her election campaign and material has been based very much on the usual guff that ticks labour HQ’s box. Climate crisis, green new deal etc, etc. Policy platform by party lobbyists.

I feel quite sorry for her. She’s openly derided by some local labour grandees and she seems very personable. But she’s not mayor material.
    ...Climate crisis, green new deal etc, etc. Policy platform by party lobbyists...

You didn't say she was a Bozo Tory?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I have a strong suspicion that Boris is about to be "lucky" again. No doubt those who insist on calling him Bozo or the clown will have their excuses ready once more.

Actually the interesting thing will be if the polls that showed some kind of narrowing were completely off base or not. My suspicion is that they were.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

As for Labour I think they're in the wilderness. They need a Moses to lead them into the promised land and I'm afraid I don't think it's Sir Keir, decent though he is.

It will HAVE to be a northerner (or a Scot). Someone who can speak the language of the blue Labour voters. A genuine patriot.

But, frankly, much more of this kind of situation this morning with vaccine bounces, bashing the Froggies and all-English Champions League finals and Boris will have another landslide next time around. His undoing, eventually, will be his own character failings but he has been underestimated far too frequently.

Looking around Europe, the centre-left has more than just a missing messiah problem.

In the medium term the hope must be that some sort of successful Biden-ism becomes a successful export from the US. Although in the UK we'll probably find the government doing it already.
    What is Bidenism?

Biden got in by not being an orange buffoon who advised injecting bleach. The left in Europe aren't facing that, which is why Boris can adopt and adapt in a way the orange buffoon couldn't.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Has Macron noticed that it is 200 years to the day since Napoleon Bonaparte died?

Yes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/napoleon-is-part-of-us-macron-tells-france-after-row-over-anniversary
    I have seen his original grave site, on St. Helena.

Tiny. And as remote as you can get on St. Helena.
    Very jealous. I LOVE remote islands, the remoter the better.

What is it like on St Helena?! Is it moody?

Easter Island is incredibly spooky. Also the Solovetskys and St Kilda. All haunted in different ways
    It is wonderfully craggy and sheer on the coast, with lots of big whales and dolphins. It still feels like 1820 in the main street. They clearly had a lot of surplus cannon. The jail holds perhaps two people.

Then you get to the inside of the island, and it feels like the Home Counties. From a Marple.

The Napoleon stuff is wonderful - his iconic coat and hat on a chaise longue at Longwood House feel as if it was just placed down moments ago. But the real treat is the house he first stayed at, Briar's Pavilion, by the heart-shaped waterfall. It was gifted as French territory. If they continue to play silly buggers over Jersey, we should annex it.
    Gawd. Sounds great, I'd love to go

Have you done Pitcairn or Tristan?

I haven't, but I hear they are spectacularly strange. Easter Island is one of the few places in the world where I've nearly lost my shit because it's so spooky. People forget all moai - the statues - were hurled down in a great iconoclasm, as the civilisation collapsed - no one is sure why, possibly deforestation inducing climate change inducing horror

At the far east end of the island (where no one lives) you can stand on a high cliff and look out to sea and know there is no one looking back at you for thousands and thousands of miles. It is not a *nice* feeling. It is disquieting in the extreme. And the weird noises....
    Tristan da Cunha I have been to. You can go all the way there - and have not much better than a 50:50 chance of landing, due to the only harbour being out of action if the winds are wrong. As you draw near, it looks like a James Bond baddies' pad - just a volcano. There is a strip of land that houses Edinburgh of the Seven Seas (the capital) a golf course that is mostly boulders and "the potato fields", where they build shacks and spend the summer, amidst, er their potatoes.

They have a shop with nothing much less than than two years out of its sell-by date.

And the people are a weird agglomeration of every nationality. It is as near to a pirate island as you can imagine.

From Tristan you can visit Nightingale Island and the gloriously named Inaccessible Island. but you have to have landed on Tristan first, to get permission. So you can spend weeks getting there and never set foot on any land.

You'd love it.
    God, I really would

I visited the Solovestskys before plague, and there's an island there where Peter the Great built a chapel and lesbians were interred in a Gulag, but landing is REALLY hard, and generally impossible outside high summer

I never made it, but the main Solovetsky is intoxicating enough. And they do have a kind of airstrip

So Tristan you could sail for weeks.... and then never get ashore?!?! Mad

But, yes, tantalising. I might make an end-of-plague vow to myself. When all this shit is over I will go somewhere insane. Just to know that I am free, again

That sounds like a good option
    I did a 5 week trip that took in Ushaia, Antarctica, South Georgia, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha (with added Inaccessible Island), St. Helena, Ascension Island, Cape Verde. (I could have taken the option to fly back from Ascension, but as the Vulcan wasn't an option, I stayed on....)
    That's a magnificent itinerary. Highlights?
    Before we even set off on the boat, loved the Patagonia National Park. The journey out from Ushuaia through the Drake Passage - the Roaring Forties and Fifties - was glassy smooth. No 40 foot waves for us. So much for the weather! We laugh at your fearsome reputation! Until we actually got to Antarctica...

If you weren't on the bridge at 6.00 am to see the peaks of mountains, you didn't see anything of Antarctica. We we were a week later than anyone had done the trip before. The blizzards of the first winter storm of the year told us why. We couldn't land. We spent 48 hours in a poorly-charted bay, avoiding icebergs that don't half shift with a force 12 behind them. Minus 17, but with the wind-chill, minus 50. Sea water freezes on the vessel in those temperatures. And there were no other boats to come to our aid. The ship's captain, a Dutchman in his 70's, said they were the most difficult 2 days he had ever experienced in his career...

A highlight should have been going to an Adelie's penguin colony. We saw one, sat on an iceberg as it shot past the side of the boat. We watched a seal toboggan along another - until the seal stood up! A very rare sighting that far north of an Emperor penguin. Then the blizzard returned - and it too was lost.

We did eventually escape that bay and made a run to South Georgia. The first views of South Georgia were awe-inspiring, even more so as we had largely followed Shackleton's route from Elephant Island to Cape Disappointment (so named because Cook sailed round it thinking they had found Australia - only to see that same Cape again far too quickly on their journey....).

If you want weird atmosphere, South Georgia has it. Not so much in Grytviken, although the church amidst the detritus of whaling - including a ship with its harpoon still mounted at the front - has it. And there is Sir Ernest Shackleton's grave in the small cemetery, with dead whalers and an Argentinian submariner for company. But the spookier place is the old whaling station of Stromness, round the coast. Closed now because it is packed full of asbestos, you can still see the foreman's house where Shackleton and his men knocked on the door, having sailed then walked over a glacier to reach it. Apparently the bath he used to clean up (and shave off the beard that made him unrecognisable) is still in there.

The Foehn winds still rip down to the fjord, whilst beneath your ship lie a mountain of whale bones. It's not the ghosts of the whalers you feel there - it's the ghosts of the whales....
    You describe my wife and my Antarctic voyage in 2009 when we followed the footsteps of Shackleton as you did but our crossing of Drake passage was one of high seas and storm force winds but once at Antarctica it was clear blue skies all the way with 5 separate zodiac landings and we were transfixed by the beauty of it all and the penguin colonies, whales and wild life

South Georgia is exactly as you describe with Shackleton's grave but we could not land at Stromness as we were hit by an katabatic wind which was quite some experience

We continued to the Falklands and then to Buenos Aires from here we returned to Heathrow

There is no doubt that a trip of this nature is an extraordinary experience and should not be missed if the opportunity arises
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

You don’t get the Born to Rule arrogance on the Labour benches. Ultimately that’s a good thing.
    Its no effing good if it keeps you in permanent opposition. SKS is as boring as Ralph Mellish.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

What is Bidenism?

Biden got in by not being an orange buffoon who advised injecting bleach. The left in Europe aren't facing that, which is why Boris can adopt and adapt in a way the orange buffoon couldn't.
    There is something in the idea Biden won because he was not Trump. He didn’t offend anyone.

I’m not saying BoJo is Trump, I think the point I would make is that Labour’s best chance of a victory with Starmer is that the election is about “not Johnson”. Starmer was made for that.

We are not there yet. And we may never be - but I don’t think certain comparisons to the U.S. are wrong
  • Options
    Fake new thread!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Good morning. Just read back - the funniest thread ever.

Hats off to @Leon
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Five minutes to go!

Although election days aren’t the same without an early morning delivery finishing about now.

Good morning everyone.

Agree, Mr B2; no organising the first tellers nowadays, either.
    It is bight and sunny here though; reminds me of two beautiful mornings in early May 1997; May 1st and 2nd!
    Ah, memories!
    I have tellers out at my three polling stations and deliverers out delivering. Knocking up from midday.

EDIT: Us cockroaches don't give up easily!
    You should be out there leading from the front! Not sitting indoors with a cup of tea browsing PB
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    Morning! Just voted . First one in at 7.01 and was handed the ballot papers with a quarter fold done
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I don't think it is down to luck. Johnson is a natural campaigner, and because of his complete lack of moral compass is a shameless liar, willing to promise whatever voters want. Aided by an opposition split into multiple parties, with no real alternative vision or inspiring leaders he is nailed on to win.

He is still an appalling PM. Campaigning skill and governing well seem to have zero correlation.
    Hence why you were convinced that you were going to run out of PPE early last year and ... didn't?

Or hence why we got the vaccine rollout before any other major nation in the world?

If this is governing badly, I'm curious what governing well looks like?
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780
    Morning all, a dusting of snow on the ground and I'm just about to head out and vote.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I don't think it is down to luck. Johnson is a natural campaigner, and because of his complete lack of moral compass is a shameless liar, willing to promise whatever voters want. Aided by an opposition split into multiple parties, with no real alternative vision or inspiring leaders he is nailed on to win.

He is still an appalling PM. Campaigning skill and governing well seem to have zero correlation.
    Indeed. Its a major flaw in this democracy nonsense altogether. We are overly susceptible to facile liars. Definitely the worst possible system. Apart from all the others of course.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

What is Bidenism?

We don't yet know. But it may emerge, like Thatcherism, which wasn't on view in 1979
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Morning all, a dusting of snow on the ground and I'm just about to head out and vote.

These bloody winter elections.
  • Options
    Elections we’re definitely warmer under Labour.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,386
    Morning all.

Politico.com - Yang falls behind Adams for first time in New York mayor’s race poll

I so wanted that opposing candidate to be called Yin.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You've got a better memory than I have.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

What is Bidenism?

There is something in the idea Biden won because he was not Trump. He didn’t offend anyone.

I’m not saying BoJo is Trump, I think the point I would make is that Labour’s best chance of a victory with Starmer is that the election is about “not Johnson”. Starmer was made for that.

We are not there yet. And we may never be - but I don’t think certain comparisons to the U.S. are wrong
    But that's the problem. There is a rather simplistic assumption that governments lose elections so you need to be inoffensive, which perhaps can be the case, but it's extremely rare. It's like turning up at a Tennis match with no return serve and just waiting for your opponent to double fault themselves out.

Blair and Cameron gave ideas about what they were for. Some of it was mushy sure, but I don't see any of that from Starmer yet.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Berlusconi was lucky for a long time.
    So were Napoleon III, and Juan Peron.

Crooked clowns can be popular.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

Pah, this is Labours chance to ditch Starmer and then the nation can have Jezza back
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053

I’m prepared for the Labour catastrophe today. Starmer though should not be resigning, primarily because that will give the left a foothold again and they’ll do even worse.

The priority for him now must be reshuffling the Shadow Cabinet and developing some big, bold, simple ideas.

Starmer may not resign but he needs to own this completely if it is as bad as labour fears it will be.

I’ll say what I have said before. The shadow cabinet are poor. Dodds was, I thought, an inspired pick and she has been hopeless. Kate Green has given a free ride to the incompetent Gavin Williamson. Her two main contributions seem to have been about ‘decolonialising the curriculum’ and removing ‘Empire’ from the title of awards. Neither of which are pressing matters of the day however worthy. I watched Jonathan Reynolds on BBC Breakfast yesterday and he seemed a beaten man. I’d not heard of him as a shadow cabinet member before. Starmers team make Corbyn team seem like winners.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Indeed. Its a major flaw in this democracy nonsense altogether. We are overly susceptible to facile liars. Definitely the worst possible system. Apart from all the others of course.
    Of course, in Scotland you have a wider choice of populists who ignore inconvenient truths...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

Mandelson ? Thornberry ?
  • Options
    My son who is 17 gets his first vote today. I am in the wrong town this morning and the Ls will be voting en masse later this evening fighting our way through the thicket of SNP signs to do the right thing. Hope the snow is off by then.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176
    DavidL said:

It’s all about the COVID recovery

Nicola has stolen a child.
    Ah, she has used the Cummings travel pass
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

Mandelson ? Thornberry ?
    Nice try.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

I saw HMS Severn go past my window yesterday morning. How is it going to switch the lights back on?
    Jersey's backup power supply will switch the lights back on...

I really don't understand French Govt Ministers' utter dedication to being posturing twats.

Anyhoo the Minister for Silly Talks seems to have backed down from making like Vladimir Putin wrt Georgia.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

You've got a better memory than I have.
    Thats not true either.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

Its no effing good if it keeps you in permanent opposition. SKS is as boring as Ralph Mellish.
    I can understand the hostility to Corbyn because of his peculiar views on what constitutes a friend or a foe. That seems fair enough to me, but the argument constructed by team Johnson that Starmer is a bad man because he is dull, makes no sense.

So given the choice we have a dour forensic lawyer or a flamboyant and edgy bon viveur. An edgy bon viveur who apart from his colourful home life has made some hilariously charismatic interjections along the way, like claiming Mrs Ratcliffe worked for Reuters, and quoting colonial Kipling poetry in the colonies.

Hmmm, but for a full house, does he juggle and do card tricks?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Floater said:

Google's chief executive has sent an email to employees encouraging them to return to work in the office for at least three days a week as lockdowns ease.

I can see this becoming the new norm.

85% plus of our employees indicate they want a maximum of 3 days in office a week post covid.

Also government advise remains to WAH if you can - we will not be back until late June at earliest
    A majority in our department want to return to the office 'as late as possible'.

This came as a bit of a surprise to our boss.

Ultimately, 2-3 or 3-2 will be the new normal for most of us. 1-4 or 0-5 for me.
    Half eleven would suit me fine. And home at 2. With an hour for lunch, natch.
    In all seriousness I'd much rather work 11-7 than 9-5.
    2 till 10. I've always been a night owl. I only stop yawning at half nine at night.
    I'd rather do a 7-4. Which is easy consulting for a company two time zones ahead.

Not today though. Sertraline withdrawal has kicked in - seem to sleep a looooong time, have quality sleep according to my tracker thing and yet wake up tired and achy. And I get jabbed tomorrow - going to be a fun weekend...!
  • Options
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

I really don't understand French Govt Ministers' utter dedication to being posturing twats.

Anyhoo the Minister for Silly Talks seems to have backed down from making like Vladimir Putin wrt Georgia.
    Plays well in “Le Daily Mail?”
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780

IanB2 said:

What is Bidenism?

But that's the problem. There is a rather simplistic assumption that governments lose elections so you need to be inoffensive, which perhaps can be the case, but it's extremely rare. It's like turning up at a Tennis match with no return serve and just waiting for your opponent to double fault themselves out.

Blair and Cameron gave ideas about what they were for. Some of it was mushy sure, but I don't see any of that from Starmer yet.
    I do think part of it is that Starmer has, correctly imo, identified that if he generates a popular policy that Boris Johnson will steal it. It doesn't matter how 'left' or 'right' a policy is, Boris doesn't care about that, if it's popular then he's having it!
  • Options

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Nah this is win win territory

Struggling french president turns Monsieur macho and stuffs it to les rosbifs in run up to election
    Tub thumping PM socks it to the frogs on election day

Both sides want to play
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Andy_JS said:

You clearly didn't read the linked article about Jessie whassername upthread
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

They’ve probably got Trident submarines in the Channel, now.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

You make it sound so easy…
  • Options

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Don't know.

My theory is that they don't have an Express so the Ministers need to create their own :smile: .
  • Options
    Charles said:

I wonder if he has thought about a cones hotline ?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Tories taking action on climate change!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

They’ve probably got Trident submarines in the Channel, now.
    According to shipfinder, there's a stack of french fishing boats in Jersey bay, with the odd one arriving to join the party. HMS Tamar and Severn are patrolling some miles out. It looks like Guernsey has sent a harbour vessel out to keep an eye on things. For some reason, the Trident subs don't show on the App.
  • Options

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Struggling french president turns Monsieur macho and stuffs it to les rosbifs in run up to election

Both sides want to play
    How exactly did Macron "stuff" us? A threat to cut off the power not acted upon, a flotilla of trawlers that turns tail after making some sort of a gesture. A really crap EU deal that doesn't seem to suit us or the French. Surely he has just demonstrated his own ineffectiveness.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Tories taking action on climate change!
    Alas still climate change.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Both sides want to play
    How exactly did Macron "stuff" us? A threat to cut off the power not acted upon, a flotilla of trawlers that turns tail after making some sort of a gesture. A really crap EU deal that doesn't seem to suit us or the French. Surely he has just demonstrated his own ineffectiveness.
    Macron has been a great disappointment.
    He was the future, once.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

sarissa said:

dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

Wait, there could be WAR WITH FRANCE

"French fishers threaten to blockade Jersey ports as row escalates"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/05/jersey-french-threat-cut-electricity-post-brexit-licences-boats

Calling Rear-Adm HYUFD to get HMS Epping Forest out of dry-dock!
    HMS Victory could be pressed back into service, with a bit of refurbishment. A Johnson administration speciality IIRC.
    HMS Victory never left service. She is still under commission and is the flagship of the First Sea Lord.
    If HMS Victory ever left service it would just be moved from Portsmouth to Chatham (where it was originally built).
    Used to see the USS Missouri docked at Bremerton Navy Yard whenever I had occasion to take the ferry there from Seattle.

Until Honolulu stole it from us, that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Missouri_(BB-63)
    I keep on meaning to go and see - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huáscar_(ironclad)

The amount of history in that one ship....

First ship attacked with a torpedo in anger (it missed), incidentally.
    Ooh. Looks interesting.

The Aurora in St Petersburg is another rare surviving pre dreadnought ship.
    Last protected cruiser, isn't it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa

would also be interesting

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/10753/lot/74/

Old Paks definitely impressed the Japanese
    Greek cruiser Georgios Averof is another pre-1914 warship which can be visited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_cruiser_Georgios_Averof

I was impressed by Estonia's Seaplane Harbour Museum which includes EML Lembit, a minelaying submarine built in Barrow.
    Although this one is a bit more basic

Is that a replica of the first military submarine, the Turtle?

Periscope does not seem to have much of a view.

Mikasa is quite interesting - it was saved by a US businessman originally from Barrow, and in Barrow there exists Mikasa Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mikasa+St,+Walney,+Barrow-in-Furness/@54.102636,-3.2477664,162m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ca9193e7800d7:0x25c7eea1d7bc7588!8m2!3d54.1026558!4d-3.2473215
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Charles said:

Err… yer wot?
    Indeed. She is Jessie Joe Jacobs of the Jessie Joe Jacobs party. She released a 5 minute promo video which was one of the worst poilitical films I have ever seen. It included:
    Jessie doing her makeup
    Jessie leaving her house and leaving the front door wide open
    Jessie knocking on doors, not getting answered and walking away again
    Jessie solemnly telling us how she had led local regional and national change
    Jessie telling us that the area had gone to the dogs under the Tories with the opening shot of this hysterical rant a big England flag flying on Eston nab
    Jessie hysterically ranting about how terrible everything is and why its all the evil Tories fault
    All intercut with shots of Jessie doing that godawful Patel smirk whilst standing heorically on headlands or outside the closed steelworks.

When she gets demolished today, she will move onto her next project. We don't know what it is yet but I can guarantee that she will always have been passionate about it and will use 403 photos of her pulling that same fucking Patel smirk to illustrate the point.

EDIT - her "IS THIS THE UK'S FIRST FEMALE METRO MAYOR?" newspaper is just as bad. So many shots of JJJJJJJ heroically pulling the same pose in front of everything I wondered if this was the Freemans catalogue and not a crap political leaflet. Who puts "Will I Win?" on their front page FFS.
  • Options
    It’s not that Keir doesn’t have policies.
    It’s not even clear what his philosophy is.

At present I’d far rather have Keir than the corrupt clown, but if he hasn’t got anything he wants to say then he needs to “get off the pot”.

Sadiq won’t be getting either of my votes today, either.
  • Options

Charles said:

For someone who has for the last thirty years travelled the length of England and Wales for work, and suffered the inconvenience of miles of contraflow with no work going on. Starmer's (he does remind me somewhat of 1992 election winner John Major) much pilloried cones hotline, way back in the 1990s wasn't as daft as it sounded.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,358

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Hence why you were convinced that you were going to run out of PPE early last year and ... didn't?

Or hence why we got the vaccine rollout before any other major nation in the world?

Well, 70 508 excess deaths is clearly better than 117 049 excess deaths, if the countries are basically the same size. That's France vs. UK.
    38 606 excess deaths in a larger country (Germany) is clearly better still.
    Denmark is currently on negative excess deaths.

https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

To be fair, there are a bunch of countries that have done worse than the UK.

Going by the percentages, there are places like Bulgaria, Colombia, Russia. If your argument is that Johnson's Britain is great because it's done better than that, you're welcome. Italy and the US are slightly worse than the UK (but there's not much in it)- that seems to be what happens when you have leading politicians who are TV personalities with dodgy attitudes to women and foreigners.

Great vaccine rollout, yes. Thank goodness, because the UK botched everything else.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Both sides want to play
    He has no more stuffed us than Boris has become Admiral Thomas Cochrane, it's just all posturing for the press and elections.
  • Options

Charles said:

For someone who has for the last thirty years travelled the length of England and Wales for work, and suffered the inconvenience of miles of contraflow with no work going on. Starmer's (he does remind me somewhat of 1992 election winner John Major) much pilloried cones hotline, way back in the 1990s wasn't as daft as it sounded.
    SeanT or whatever he is called these days has been calling for someone to attend to lifestyle issues as a “sure fire election winner”.

Anyway, it’d be a cone app these days.
  • Options

At present I’d far rather have Keir than the corrupt clown, but if he hasn’t got anything he wants to say then he needs to “get off the pot”.

Starmer is working within serious constraints. It may not look it, but arguably he is doing a heroic job. If he moves on policy, someone somewhere shouts betrayal. Anyway more anon after polls close.
  • Options

If this site is representative, then it seems like tomorrow the Mayor of London will be ... Count Binhead.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Romford, worth noting we have significantly higher population density than France, and that we appear to be counting perhaps excessively (I remember reading we're the only country in the world with a seriously mismatched excess deaths and COVID deaths tallies).

That said, there has been some serious incompetence over international borders, care homes, and the nonsense at Christmas.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

If this site is representative, then it seems like tomorrow the Mayor of London will be ... Count Binhead.
    Probably a step forward for London .......
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Both sides want to play
    A successful military victory against mainland Europe, would of course confirm Johnson as Churchillian. Indeed he would surpass Churchill, we could from hereon refer to Churchill as Johnsonian.

Scramble the Navy!
  • Options

Charles said:

Basically it was “let us know if you see miles of road coned off with no one doing any work”. Quite practical I would have thought.
  • Options

Charles said:

Great , SKS should make it policy.

The upside is that despite being as grey as Major, when he's gone well probably find out his daily life was drugs and S&M with Little Mix. Really he should declare it now, it would at least give him a chance with the electorate
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,081

Charles said:

Well if we're dropping the "woke shit" and the "class shit" and the "Europe shit" we do need some new shit.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Well, 70 508 excess deaths is clearly better than 117 049 excess deaths, if the countries are basically the same size. That's France vs. UK.

Going by the percentages, there are places like Bulgaria, Colombia, Russia. If your argument is that Johnson's Britain is great because it's done better than that, you're welcome. Italy and the US are slightly worse than the UK (but there's not much in it)- that seems to be what happens when you have leading politicians who are TV personalities with dodgy attitudes to women and foreigners.

Great vaccine rollout, yes. Thank goodness, because the UK botched everything else.
    Its sweet that Countries death figures are still believed
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Labour Accelerationists
    @LabourAccel

I'm hearing rumours now that if Labour lose the Hartlepool by-election and the Tees Valley and West Midlands mayoral elections the Tribune Group of MPs are ready to call for a vote of no confidence in Keir Starmer"

https://twitter.com/LabourAccel/status/1390206010959216641
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Jonathan said:

Starmer is working within serious constraints. It may not look it, but arguably he is doing a heroic job. If he moves on policy, someone somewhere shouts betrayal. Anyway more anon after polls close.
    I don’t remember any early policy from Cameron.

However; I do remember he published a kind of philosophical manifesto in the Times which read well and positioned him as not just another Tory.

He then followed it up with some PR stunts, which were gauche but succeeded in reinforcing his positioning.

I know it’s been hard with coronavirus but I would have expected Keir to activate some kind of comms campaign from 1 April.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Labour Accelerationists
    @LabourAccel

I'm hearing rumours now that if Labour lose the Hartlepool by-election and the Tees Valley and West Midlands mayoral elections the Tribune Group of MPs are ready to call for a vote of no confidence in Keir Starmer"

They can f right off.
  • Options
    CursingStoneCursingStone Posts: 421
    Andy_JS said:

"Labour Accelerationists
    @LabourAccel

Aren’t these things more likely than not?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Charles said:

SeanT or whatever he is called these days has been calling for someone to attend to lifestyle issues as a “sure fire election winner”.

I've started thinking of him as a Community.

Like the Graeae, with one shared eye.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

However; I do remember he published a kind of philosophical manifesto in the Times which read well and positioned him as not just another Tory.

He then followed it up with some PR stunts, which were gauche but succeeded in reinforcing his positioning.

I know it’s been hard with coronavirus but I would have expected Keir to activate some kind of comms campaign from 1 April.
    He is in a very, very different and far weaker position than Cameron.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Basically it was “let us know if you see miles of road coned off with no one doing any work”. Quite practical I would have thought.
    But I felt very satisfied ranting down the Motorola car phone (didn't need to be hands-free in those days either) at some minion bean counter. Excellent job creation too, I would have thought. OK so Starmer's cones hotline wasn't a success.

P.S. After Johnson, I'd have Major back in a heartbeat.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

IDStarmer has a philosophical manifesto too - "I am not Jeremy Corbyn".

What do you mean that isn't enough? Bloody moaning Tories...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Floater said:

Google's chief executive has sent an email to employees encouraging them to return to work in the office for at least three days a week as lockdowns ease.

I can see this becoming the new norm.

85% plus of our employees indicate they want a maximum of 3 days in office a week post covid.

Also government advise remains to WAH if you can - we will not be back until late June at earliest
    A majority in our department want to return to the office 'as late as possible'.

This came as a bit of a surprise to our boss.

Ultimately, 2-3 or 3-2 will be the new normal for most of us. 1-4 or 0-5 for me.
    Half eleven would suit me fine. And home at 2. With an hour for lunch, natch.
    In all seriousness I'd much rather work 11-7 than 9-5.
    2 till 10. I've always been a night owl. I only stop yawning at half nine at night.
    I'd rather do a 7-4. Which is easy consulting for a company two time zones ahead.

Not today though. Sertraline withdrawal has kicked in - seem to sleep a looooong time, have quality sleep according to my tracker thing and yet wake up tired and achy. And I get jabbed tomorrow - going to be a fun weekend...!
    Hope it goes well with the sertraline withdrawal. Presumably positive news that you are taking this step?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,266
    I think turnout will be poor.

I just drove straight back home from nursery drop-off totally forgetting about the fact it's polling day today, I normally go at 8am, and there are no signs anywhere.

I will have to go later today now.
  • Options

Charles said:

It's still accessible, under a new name, via 0300 123 5000
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,358

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Romford, worth noting we have significantly higher population density than France, and that we appear to be counting perhaps excessively (I remember reading we're the only country in the world with a seriously mismatched excess deaths and COVID deaths tallies).

That said, there has been some serious incompetence over international borders, care homes, and the nonsense at Christmas.

True, though the density argument is tricky- what matters is the density of the inhabited bits. Spain, for example is densely populated cities and masses of empty in between. Paris is denser than London, because you don't have the same sort of metroland suburbia.

And the FT source is the nearest we have to gold-standard excess deaths at the moment, rather than attributing deaths to a cause. That flatters everyone a bit, because it credits the flu deaths that didn't happen this year as a positive- presumably that's why Denmark have ended the crisis ahead of the game.

The UK botched a lot of its Covid response- heck, that's why the government was beginning to fall behind in the polls in December. Vaccines are a feather in their cap, but it's not made the overall response more than meh.
  • Options

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Its sweet that Countries death figures are still believed
    Excess deaths is a statistic not as easily manipulated as others.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,266

DavidL said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Both sides want to play
    He has no more stuffed us than Boris has become Admiral Thomas Cochrane, it's just all posturing for the press and elections.
    Has anyone considered that Macron and Boris (who text each other regularly, and clearly admire each other on some level) have partly orchestrated the drama?

Macron gets electoral benefit by standing up to Les Rosbifs over fish. Boris gets fantastic headlines on election day by sending in the navy.

Nothing happens. Both men stay in office and are fêted as heroes.

They then chuckle to each other after.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We saw that on here the other day. At some point the party needs to move on from fighting over the comb.
This discussion has been closed.