Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The election might be tomorrow but some of the counts could spill over into the weekend or even next

Comments

• Options

I may well be as drunk as a sailor, but the editor of the Sun pays more than the Navy.

You're not drunk. The rest of us are seeing double. Is that Leon or Lion?
    If posting from Penarth has resumed does this mean we are about to be hit by a massive 4th wave of vaccine-resistant covid which will make the capital city unliveable in?
    If that contradicts my previous predictions, than Yes.

Which reminds me, I must change my underwear.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Has Macron noticed that it is 200 years to the day since Napoleon Bonaparte died?

Yes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/napoleon-is-part-of-us-macron-tells-france-after-row-over-anniversary
    I have seen his original grave site, on St. Helena.

Tiny. And as remote as you can get on St. Helena.
    Very jealous. I LOVE remote islands, the remoter the better.

What is it like on St Helena?! Is it moody?

Easter Island is incredibly spooky. Also the Solovetskys and St Kilda. All haunted in different ways
    Napoleon wasn't too keen on the island.

Although the alternative was to be shot by firing squad.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747

HMS Severn and HMS Tamar are deploying to Jersey to conduct maritime security patrols. This is a strictly precautionary measure and has been agreed with the Jersey Government.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1390048474838749186?s=20

And THIS is HMS Tamar, glorious with ensigns

Quail, Frenchman

https://twitter.com/justbriohny/status/1389505832853950467?s=20

WE'RE GOING IN
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    Even the Guardian:

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Evening all.

So we've got an election tomorrow.
    People are joking about war with France due to a dispute seeing two naval vessels being sent over.

Switched Sky News on at 10pm and the primary headline is the week-old story of an actor who won a BAFTA award being in trouble due to allegations made.

Have I missed something?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Even the Guardian:

Sight of Gordon Brown, sure to add some votes for the SNP and Tories...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

I suggest we invade Saint Helena from the south. That will really show the French we mean business.

Saint Helena is already British!
  • Options
    LordWakefieldLordWakefield Posts: 144

Stephen Reicher, a Professor of Social Psychology at the University of St Andrews and member of SAGE, has warned that the introduction of vaccine passports could lead to people refusing to get vaccinated against Covid.

"There is a very traditional, well-known psychological process called reactance: that if you take away people’s autonomy, if you force them to do something, they will reassert their autonomy, even if that means not doing things that they would otherwise want to do."

https://lockdownsceptics.org/2021/05/04/covid-vaccine-passports-could-lead-to-fewer-people-getting-vaccinated-says-sage-psychologist/

Exactly the reason me and my family won't be having it. I reason that if enough of us hold out the passports will be hard to implement.

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Leon said:

HMS Severn and HMS Tamar are deploying to Jersey to conduct maritime security patrols. This is a strictly precautionary measure and has been agreed with the Jersey Government.

Quail, Frenchman

WE'RE GOING IN
    Is Jersey the new Falklands?

One was a desperate gamble by a discredited regime to distract citizens from chaos and destitution at home.

The other was the Argentinians taking over the Falklands.
  • Options
    Metro:

• Options

I suggest we invade Saint Helena from the south. That will really show the French we mean business.

Saint Helena is already British!
    You should never do what the enemy expects you to do.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Evening all.

People are joking about war with France due to a dispute seeing two naval vessels being sent over.

Switched Sky News on at 10pm and the primary headline is the week-old story of an actor who won a BAFTA award being in trouble due to allegations made.

Have I missed something?

I actually find that story worrying....Sky are pushing the narrative that BAFTA based on an anonymous third hand account should have immediately taken action...so much for innocent until proven guilty...more anybody claims something with no proof and remaining anonymous, you must instantly believe them and find the accused guilty and cancel them.

I wonder how many batshit anonymous bollocks sky news gets sent every day? And somewhere in there, there will be some genuine tip offs, but i don't blame them if they miss it
  • Options

I have just found out that the Labour candidate for the mayor of Tees Valley is actually really fit. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?

Should've gone to SpecSavers!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    You could not make up tomorrow newspaper front pages and this on polling day
  • Options
    This might be the first time two advanced western nations have ever gone to war because it's a really good "meme" on Twitter

It is funny, tho. And good. So there's that
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Has Macron noticed that it is 200 years to the day since Napoleon Bonaparte died?

Yes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/napoleon-is-part-of-us-macron-tells-france-after-row-over-anniversary

Easter Island is incredibly spooky. Also the Solovetskys and St Kilda. All haunted in different ways

They were very kid gloves with him. What would've happened after a second escape/100 days? Tasmania?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    Leon said:

WE'RE GOING IN

Are you going to wave a dildo at them?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

WE'RE GOING IN

AT LEAST. SIX FOOT LONG

They make dildos out of BREAD hahahahahaha
  • Options

Strange front page.

That's positively psychotic. Is that a house rag of the Scottish Labour Party?

It seems like somebody doesn't realise Labour are meant to be the Opposition to the SNP? Plus that the SNP will ally with the Greens and have zero interest or incentive to work with Labour? Not to forget that the Tories really aren't the to Labour there?

Just what is going on, it seems like the worst Scottish Labour stereotypes.
  • Options
    Laura K doing her best to make this all sound important and exciting.

Only NINE hours until the polls open.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

It is wonderfully craggy and sheer on the coast, with lots of big whales and dolphins. It still feels like 1820 in the main street. They clearly had a lot of surplus cannon. The jail holds perhaps two people.

Then you get to the inside of the island, and it feels like the Home Counties. From a Marple.

The Napoleon stuff is wonderful - his iconic coat and hat on a chaise longue at Longwood House feel as if it was just placed down moments ago. But the real treat is the house he first stayed at, Briar's Pavilion, by the heart-shaped waterfall. It was gifted as French territory. If they continue to play silly buggers over Jersey, we should annex it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247

Evening all.

Have I missed something?

Sky news are the CNN of broadcasting
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    A Whitehall source said: “At least when the Germans invaded in World War Two they kept the lights on.” https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14862463/royal-navy-defend-jersey-fishermen-france-electricity/
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,354

I had my Covid jab yesterday and consequently spent the night enduring weird fever dreams.

Reading this thread so far is making me think I haven’t woken up yet.

I'd give it until 2024 if I were you.

Or maybe the election after that.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

Always fancied Kerguelen. Had a world map on the wall as a kid. And it was there at eye level. Like a crocodile. First thing I saw in the morning.
    Am in training for the weather recently, too.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489

Leon said:

WAR IT IS

Remember they lasted 4 weeks in 1940. We lasted 6 years.
    In WW2 the Siege of Singapore (1941) lasted 8 days; the Siege of Bir Hakeim (1942) lasted 16 days.

The good guys (IMHO) lost both battles. But Singapore was an historic defeat for Britain, while Bir Hakeim was a moral victory for the Free French.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

This might be the first time two advanced western nations have ever gone to war because it's a really good "meme" on Twitter

A shame France is back in NATO.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    DavidL said:

Strange front page.

Moronic. Scottish independence = 20 more years of Labour opposition. But they still cannot redirect their guns towards the correct enemy. Labour make the placing of the guns on Singapore look strategic.
    If Carlsberg were running the Scottish Conservative's election campaign, even they could not have come up with something as helpful as this on the eve of the election where they are pushing #peachvoteTory tomorrow.
  • Options
    Come in Agent Macron - you've done a great job:

• Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

WE'RE GOING IN

AT LEAST. SIX FOOT LONG

They make dildos out of BREAD hahahahahaha
    Make sure that you are NOT caught knapping!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A Whitehall source said: “At least when the Germans invaded in World War Two they kept the lights on.” https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14862463/royal-navy-defend-jersey-fishermen-france-electricity/

There's now a real chance the first proper tidal lagoon power station will be built in Jersey.
  • Options

Macron has a mille euros on Andy Street with BF.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A shame France is back in NATO.
    That doesn't stop Greece and Turkey.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Not quite as inspirational as the pix of Winston Churchill trying out the Thompson submachine gun.

BUT Boris is sporting a silly hat which of course was one of Winston's trademarks.

My guess is that BJ is deliberately invoking memories of WSC rallying the Desert Rats in North Africa:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1188890/Pictured-Churchill-congratulates-troops-historic-North-Africa-snaps-taken-unknown-soldier.html
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

Stephen Reicher, a Professor of Social Psychology at the University of St Andrews and member of SAGE, has warned that the introduction of vaccine passports could lead to people refusing to get vaccinated against Covid.

"There is a very traditional, well-known psychological process called reactance: that if you take away people’s autonomy, if you force them to do something, they will reassert their autonomy, even if that means not doing things that they would otherwise want to do."

https://lockdownsceptics.org/2021/05/04/covid-vaccine-passports-could-lead-to-fewer-people-getting-vaccinated-says-sage-psychologist/

Exactly the reason me and my family won't be having it. I reason that if enough of us hold out the passports will be hard to implement.

Bonkers.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

Metro:

I mean seriously, is anyone in London not going to vote for Count Binhead? This is the sort of leadership we have been looking for.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    I take it that all 3 members of the SeanT clusterfuck are drunk?
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

It is wonderfully craggy and sheer on the coast, with lots of big whales and dolphins. It still feels like 1820 in the main street. They clearly had a lot of surplus cannon. The jail holds perhaps two people.

Then you get to the inside of the island, and it feels like the Home Counties. From a Marple.

The Napoleon stuff is wonderful - his iconic coat and hat on a chaise longue at Longwood House feel as if it was just placed down moments ago. But the real treat is the house he first stayed at, Briar's Pavilion, by the heart-shaped waterfall. It was gifted as French territory. If they continue to play silly buggers over Jersey, we should annex it.
    Gawd. Sounds great, I'd love to go

Have you done Pitcairn or Tristan?

I haven't, but I hear they are spectacularly strange. Easter Island is one of the few places in the world where I've nearly lost my shit because it's so spooky. People forget all moai - the statues - were hurled down in a great iconoclasm, as the civilisation collapsed - no one is sure why, possibly deforestation inducing climate change inducing horror

At the far east end of the island (where no one lives) you can stand on a high cliff and look out to sea and know there is no one looking back at you for thousands and thousands of miles. It is not a *nice* feeling. It is disquieting in the extreme. And the weird noises....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

They were very kid gloves with him. What would've happened after a second escape/100 days? Tasmania?
    There was never going to be a second escape. We nicked Ascension Island from the Dutch, to rob any plotters of the only practical base from which to launch a raid to free him. And all the while he was alive there, we had four warships circling the island - two going clockwise, two anti-clockwise.

St. Helena really was thought to be the most secure place on the planet.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    DavidL said:

Metro:

I mean seriously, is anyone in London not going to vote for Count Binhead? This is the sort of leadership we have been looking for.
    Count Binhead looking very good to beat GRN and LD in London
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

I thought they poisoned him to death with the wallpaper which was loaded with arsenic. Talking of which presumably Carrie's choice will have been checked out?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Macron has a mille euros on Andy Street with BF.

That Allister Heath headline at the top of the Telly looks like a big hostage to fortune.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

Evening all.

Have I missed something?

Two fishery protection vessels seem to be protecting fisheries.

And some mediatwats are behaving like French Government Ministers...
  • Options

DavidL said:

Metro:

Its Khan he should be going for not the also rans.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

There was never going to be a second escape. We nicked Ascension Island from the Dutch, to rob any plotters of the only practical base from which to launch a raid to free him. And all the while he was alive there, we had four warships circling the island - two going clockwise, two anti-clockwise.

St. Helena really was thought to be the most secure place on the planet.
    To be fair, given the shit he unleashed..
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,995
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Metro:

No-one is going to vote for Count Binhead but some may vote for Count Binface. Sorry!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Metro:

I have some LAB friends in London. None of whom are enthusiastic for Sadiq. But they have voted for him nonetheless.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

DavidL said:

Strange front page.

Moronic. Scottish independence = 20 more years of Labour opposition. But they still cannot redirect their guns towards the correct enemy. Labour make the placing of the guns on Singapore look strategic.
    If Carlsberg were running the Scottish Conservative's election campaign, even they could not have come up with something as helpful as this on the eve of the election where they are pushing #peachvoteTory tomorrow.
    Unfortunately instead of a rather well run beer company we have Douglas Ross. Back to the drawing board I am afraid.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Any red-blooded Englishman should welcome the prospect of war with France.
  • Options
    OK LADS ITS HAPPENING

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1390053573246005249?s=20

I've been Joking up until now, but I think this is really it. WAR WITH FRANCE

I'm gonna start an Artists & Rifles regiment, some knappers, portraitists and poets, nothing major, any PB creatives are welcome to join.

This is going to be hard, especially after plague. I imagine coquille St Jacques will be almost unobtainable for several weeks. And "Pernod"

Best of British, everyone. Eyes down for the fight
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Metro:

No-one is going to vote for Count Binhead but some may vote for Count Binface. Sorry!
    Whoops.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

I remember old days (1983) when it was over on the night.

My worry is that this year's unusual events will be the pretext for even more not bothering to count overnight, or even all done next day - it was already the case that plenty of councils in particular didn't like overnight counts.

I think is good fun, nice for people to wake up and be able to know right away, and having the winners having been up for 24 hours straight and getting announced, bleary eyed, in a sports centre at 5am is the equivalent of the slave whispering 'remember thou art mortal' into the ear of a General on a Triumph.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sean_F said:

Have they surrendered yet?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

I haven't, but I hear they are spectacularly strange. Easter Island is one of the few places in the world where I've nearly lost my shit because it's so spooky. People forget all moai - the statues - were hurled down in a great iconoclasm, as the civilisation collapsed - no one is sure why, possibly deforestation inducing climate change inducing horror

At the far east end of the island (where no one lives) you can stand on a high cliff and look out to sea and know there is no one looking back at you for thousands and thousands of miles. It is not a *nice* feeling. It is disquieting in the extreme. And the weird noises....
    Tristan da Cunha I have been to. You can go all the way there - and have not much better than a 50:50 chance of landing, due to the only harbour being out of action if the winds are wrong. As you draw near, it looks like a James Bond baddies' pad - just a volcano. There is a strip of land that houses Edinburgh of the Seven Seas (the capital) a golf course that is mostly boulders and "the potato fields", where they build shacks and spend the summer, amidst, er their potatoes.

They have a shop with nothing much less than than two years out of its sell-by date.

And the people are a weird agglomeration of every nationality. It is as near to a pirate island as you can imagine.

From Tristan you can visit Nightingale Island and the gloriously named Inaccessible Island. but you have to have landed on Tristan first, to get permission. So you can spend weeks getting there and never set foot on any land.

You'd love it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Sean_F said:

I've skimped a bit on my archery practice recently, though.

I'm going down The Butts tomorrow. Get some more training in.
  • Options
    I am surprised to learn Napoleon is a controversial figure in France. Figures of that prestige tend to get a pass.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Quail, Frenchman

WE'RE GOING IN
    But isn't HMS Tamar needed in home waters, to overawe the Cornish Nationalists?

After all, they have a long tradition of trading with the French when England is fighting them (the French that is).

AND also of (literally) wrecking havoc on the Royal Navy. Just ask the ghost of Sir Cloudesley Shovell.
  • Options

I have just found out that the Labour candidate for the mayor of Tees Valley is actually really fit. Why didn't anyone tell me this before?

It's considered gauche. I say go for it.
  • Options
    Wales great Alun Wyn Jones will be confirmed as captain of the British and Irish Lions when head coach Warren Gatland names his 36-man squad on Thursday for the tour of South Africa.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

My worry is that this year's unusual events will be the pretext for even more not bothering to count overnight, or even all done next day - it was already the case that plenty of councils in particular didn't like overnight counts.

I think is good fun, nice for people to wake up and be able to know right away, and having the winners having been up for 24 hours straight and getting announced, bleary eyed, in a sports centre at 5am is the equivalent of the slave whispering 'remember thou art mortal' into the ear of a General on a Triumph.
    I think for GEs the electorate will continue to expect overnight counting. I believe a few GEs ago there was a lot of talk of that stopping but in the end it came to nothing.

But as you indicate, for local and regional elections it will be following day counting going forward. Particularly where you have strange voting methodologies as in London, Wales and Scotland.
  • Options

What better moment for tinpot Brexit-Falklands symbolism for Boris, on the eve of the elections.

Did Macron owe him a favour? Or is it just that sabre rattling helps them both?
  • Options
    I fear for any monkeys in Hartlepool tomorrow caught wearing red rosettes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Already ours surely?
    Should make for an easier invasion at least.
  • Options
    Google's chief executive has sent an email to employees encouraging them to return to work in the office for at least three days a week as lockdowns ease.

I can see this becoming the new norm.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Metro:

Binface getting the top strip....
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    DavidL said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

Strange front page.

Unfortunately instead of a rather well run beer company we have Douglas Ross. Back to the drawing board I am afraid.
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • Options
    One of the fun facts I enjoy informing Americans of is the reason they’ve got a “New Jersey” and not a “New Guernsey” is that during the English Civil War, Jersey remained loyal to the Crown while Guernsey sided with Parliament- so after the restoration Jersey’s nobility was awarded with favours while Guernsey’s wasn’t. Nice to have your state named after a monarchy supporting island!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I am surprised to learn Napoleon is a controversial figure in France. Figures of that prestige tend to get a pass.

I think it was the dictatorship thing and the reintroducing slavery thing and ending the glorious revolution thing and, well, losing (even if that is very French).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What better moment for tinpot Brexit-Falklands symbolism for Boris, on the eve of the elections.

Did Macron owe him a favour? Or is it just that sabre rattling helps them both?
    Payback for quietly letting him have some of our vaccines....
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

Tristan da Cunha I have been to. You can go all the way there - and have not much better than a 50:50 chance of landing, due to the only harbour being out of action if the winds are wrong. As you draw near, it looks like a James Bond baddies' pad - just a volcano. There is a strip of land that houses Edinburgh of the Seven Seas (the capital) a golf course that is mostly boulders and "the potato fields", where they build shacks and spend the summer, amidst, er their potatoes.

They have a shop with nothing much less than than two years out of its sell-by date.

And the people are a weird agglomeration of every nationality. It is as near to a pirate island as you can imagine.

From Tristan you can visit Nightingale Island and the gloriously named Inaccessible Island. but you have to have landed on Tristan first, to get permission. So you can spend weeks getting there and never set foot on any land.

You'd love it.
    God, I really would

I visited the Solovestskys before plague, and there's an island there where Peter the Great built a chapel and lesbians were interred in a Gulag, but landing is REALLY hard, and generally impossible outside high summer

I never made it, but the main Solovetsky is intoxicating enough. And they do have a kind of airstrip

So Tristan you could sail for weeks.... and then never get ashore?!?! Mad

But, yes, tantalising. I might make an end-of-plague vow to myself. When all this shit is over I will go somewhere insane. Just to know that I am free, again

That sounds like a good option
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    kle4 said:

Yes, in 2010 there was a concerted attempt by returning officers all over the country to abandon the overnight counts. It was only after a campaign by Iain Dale that 95% of them relented.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Google's chief executive has sent an email to employees encouraging them to return to work in the office for at least three days a week as lockdowns ease.

85% plus of our employees indicate they want a maximum of 3 days in office a week post covid.

Also government advise remains to WAH if you can - we will not be back until late June at earliest
  • Options

DavidL said:

Metro:

Well, UKIP came behind the Loonies in the Brecon by-election a few years back, which probably signalled, if it was not obvious, that they were done. What would coming behind Binface signify?

Not that the Greens at least need to worry.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

Wait, there could be WAR WITH FRANCE

"French fishers threaten to blockade Jersey ports as row escalates"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/05/jersey-french-threat-cut-electricity-post-brexit-licences-boats

Calling Rear-Adm HYUFD to get HMS Epping Forest out of dry-dock!
    HMS Victory could be pressed back into service, with a bit of refurbishment. A Johnson administration speciality IIRC.
    HMS Victory never left service. She is still under commission and is the flagship of the First Sea Lord.
    If HMS Victory ever left service it would just be moved from Portsmouth to Chatham (where it was originally built).
    Used to see the USS Missouri docked at Bremerton Navy Yard whenever I had occasion to take the ferry there from Seattle.

Until Honolulu stole it from us, that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Missouri_(BB-63)
    I keep on meaning to go and see - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huáscar_(ironclad)

The amount of history in that one ship....

First ship attacked with a torpedo in anger (it missed), incidentally.
    Ooh. Looks interesting.

The Aurora in St Petersburg is another rare surviving pre dreadnought ship.
    Last protected cruiser, isn't it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa

would also be interesting

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/10753/lot/74/

Old Paks definitely impressed the Japanese
    Greek cruiser Georgios Averof is another pre-1914 warship which can be visited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_cruiser_Georgios_Averof

I was impressed by Estonia's Seaplane Harbour Museum which includes EML Lembit, a minelaying submarine built in Barrow.
    Although this one is a bit more basic

• Options
    It’s all about the COVID recovery

• Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I think it was the dictatorship thing and the reintroducing slavery thing and ending the glorious revolution thing and, well, losing (even if that is very French).
    Sure, but people look past things like dictatorship and slavery in historic figures all the time, and the way people talk of him you'd think he had won sometimes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

The last is probably the worst of all.

Had he actually won, then he'd be a great hero even with all the other stuff pushed down to the bottom.
  • Options

Nicola has stolen a child.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Metro:

Well, UKIP came behind the Loonies in the Brecon by-election a few years back, which probably signalled, if it was not obvious, that they were done. What would coming behind Binface signify?

Not that the Greens at least need to worry.
    Binface beating Lozza Fox will be something to celebrate. Preferably physically.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

You'd love it.
    God, I really would

I visited the Solovestskys before plague, and there's an island there where Peter the Great built a chapel and lesbians were interred in a Gulag, but landing is REALLY hard, and generally impossible outside high summer

I never made it, but the main Solovetsky is intoxicating enough. And they do have a kind of airstrip

But, yes, tantalising. I might make an end-of-plague vow to myself. When all this shit is over I will go somewhere insane. Just to know that I am free, again

I did a 5 week trip that took in Ushaia, Antarctica, South Georgia, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha (with added Inaccessible Island), St. Helena, Ascension Island, Cape Verde. (I could have taken the option to fly back from Ascension, but as the Vulcan wasn't an option, I stayed on....)
  • Options
    Lots of FBPE-ers on Twitter think we are kind of ACTUALLY going to war with France, and they are enraged, as always

Awwwww
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Brexiteers telling the French to tone down their rhetoric...

Latest guidance is Dominic Raab has spoken to his French counterpart to demand Paris tone down their rhetoric.

Trade Minister Greg Hands was also speaking to ministers on the other side of the Channel in a bid to calm growing tension.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1390034418992025600

Beyond parody

There have been several times this year that even Boris and his minions have made more measured contributions than some of their counterparts, who did indeed need to tone down their rhetoric.

Any ridiculous utterings by them in the past, or indeed the future, does not mean ridiculous posturing by others cannot be criticised, even by them.
  • Options

One of the fun facts I enjoy informing Americans of is the reason they’ve got a “New Jersey” and not a “New Guernsey” is that during the English Civil War, Jersey remained loyal to the Crown while Guernsey sided with Parliament- so after the restoration Jersey’s nobility was awarded with favours while Guernsey’s wasn’t. Nice to have your state named after a monarchy supporting island!

But their IS a Guernsey County, Ohio, county seat Cambridge, hometown of John Glenn; also has Cambridge Township AND Oxford Twp, plus Londonderry Twp and hamlets named Birmingham and Kipling.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    sarissa said:

dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/05/jersey-french-threat-cut-electricity-post-brexit-licences-boats

HMS Victory could be pressed back into service, with a bit of refurbishment. A Johnson administration speciality IIRC.
    HMS Victory never left service. She is still under commission and is the flagship of the First Sea Lord.
    If HMS Victory ever left service it would just be moved from Portsmouth to Chatham (where it was originally built).
    Used to see the USS Missouri docked at Bremerton Navy Yard whenever I had occasion to take the ferry there from Seattle.

I keep on meaning to go and see - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huáscar_(ironclad)

Ooh. Looks interesting.

I was impressed by Estonia's Seaplane Harbour Museum which includes EML Lembit, a minelaying submarine built in Barrow.

It's no Japanese squid, though, right?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

The 'Yes Family' is a thing? I think we know who the dodgy uncle is.

The 'No Family' I think are akin to the Gallaghers though.

Edit: Also, I love newspapers - the 'exclusive message' to National readers is that they should vote SNP?
  • Options

What a great pix.
  • Options
    Floater said:

85% plus of our employees indicate they want a maximum of 3 days in office a week post covid.

Also government advise remains to WAH if you can - we will not be back until late June at earliest
    A majority in our department want to return to the office 'as late as possible'.

This came as a bit of a surprise to our boss.

Ultimately, 2-3 or 3-2 will be the new normal for most of us. 1-4 or 0-5 for me.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,995
    Peston's analysis is rubbish. Talks about Boris having bad local election results in 2019.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Last in war, last in peace, but first on this thread

First like Trump
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Peston's analysis is rubbish. Talks about Boris having bad local election results in 2019.

I would be more surprised if you had said Peston's analysis was accurate.....he has spent the past year of the pandemic pumping out absolute garbage.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

You'd love it.
    God, I really would

I did a 5 week trip that took in Ushaia, Antarctica, South Georgia, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha (with added Inaccessible Island), St. Helena, Ascension Island, Cape Verde. (I could have taken the option to fly back from Ascension, but as the Vulcan wasn't an option, I stayed on....)
    That's a magnificent itinerary. Highlights?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes

Always fancied Kerguelen. Had a world map on the wall as a kid. And it was there at eye level. Like a crocodile. First thing I saw in the morning.
    Am in training for the weather recently, too.
    A friend of mine took the doctors job on the Chatham Islands, South East of NZ. When the weather was good all the locals went fishing, when it was bad, they would come into the dispensary out of boredom.

The toughest part of the job was catching the hospital cow for the nurses to milk. Once he had to drain a brain haematoma, using woodwork tools and a Wellington neurosurgeon giving instructions over the radio, as the weather was too foul for evacuation. He is a GP in Stamford Lincs now.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

Ooh. Looks interesting.

USS Texas is the last surviving Dreadnought (as opposed to "fast battleships" of the Iowa Class).
  • Options
    sarissa said:

dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

Ooh. Looks interesting.

Somewhat resemble cask filled with booze used to transport Lord Nelson's remains back home from Trafalgar.

Which arrived in England 3/4 empty (except for the Admiral). Wonder why?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nicola has stolen a child.
    Looks like some kind of human-bear hybrid to me.
This discussion has been closed.