Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My email from Boris suggests the Tory database is not as sophisticated as you might expect – politic

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,530
    RIP. A sad day.
  • Options
    Julie Hartley Brewer already complaining about how many people might go to his funeral.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,576
    MattW said:

Sad news, though 99 is a cracking age.

A good day/weekend/week to bury bad news. Don't expect we'll hear much about N. Ireland, exchanges between Sunak and Cameron, or any vaccine blips for some time. But at least we'll still get updates on county cricket scores on here.

Sitting on a Cloud.

"Bugger - two months too short."
    Yeah, sad that he missed out on his Telegram. I suspect that would have tickled the old dinosaur.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

This is a "brave" take from journalist Jill Starley Grainger

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    Among the many reasons I don't give a toss is this repulsive #Philip quote on a visit to China in 1986 - 1 of many offensive 'jokes' the recipient was expected to laugh at: “If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes." What a cad. To quote Bey, I ain't sorry

https://twitter.com/WordsByJill/status/1380488301287763968?s=20

How long til she deletes it?

If that's what she thinks she should be free to say it.

Makes her look insensitive but so be it, that's her choice.

Free speech applies to people being insensitive and insulting as much as anyone else - and why bother deleting it now, it'll be screenshotted already.
  • Options

If I make it to 99 I'll be bloody happy.

3 responses likely on Twitter:
    Heck of an innings
    He was the only Royal I liked
    He was a Racist, lets cancel him and be ANGRY at everything

And they're off:
    https://twitter.com/BookOfGates/status/1380489049820037124
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    To get back to low politics, probably.

https://twitter.com/tejmuk/status/1380478677251657728?s=20

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,576

Julie Hartley Brewer already complaining about how many people might go to his funeral.

I suspect that they will follow the rules and have a legal funeral, with a memorial service a bit later. HRH does like to set an example.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279
    edited April 2021
    If you go on iPlayer and scroll back to 12.09 there is When Paramedics Attack, or something, on. It is very powerful the way they then interrupt this to go to the announcement. Newscaster there, in black. She looked quite moved. Then the National Anthem.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,180

If I make it to 99 I'll be bloody happy.

3 responses likely on Twitter:
    Heck of an innings
    He was the only Royal I liked
    He was a Racist, lets cancel him and be ANGRY at everything

And they're off:
    https://twitter.com/BookOfGates/status/1380489049820037124
    If I say she’s the Canary in a coal mine, is that racist?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Foxy said:

I suspect that they will follow the rules and have a legal funeral, with a memorial service a bit later. HRH does like to set an example.
    Also solves awkward problems around Andrew appearing in public.

Edit - I wonder where they will bury him, though? Westminster Abbey is presumably where Her Majesty will be laid to rest when the time comes and I’m assuming they’ll want to be buried together. So Westminster not Windsor for the funeral, on that basis.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,993

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    Among the many reasons I don't give a toss is this repulsive #Philip quote on a visit to China in 1986 - 1 of many offensive 'jokes' the recipient was expected to laugh at: “If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes." What a cad. To quote Bey, I ain't sorry

Free speech applies to people being insensitive and insulting as much as anyone else - and why bother deleting it now, it'll be screenshotted already.
    Did I ever say she should not be allowed to make these remarks? You do plunge your angry bayonet into the Straw Man quite a lot. It is wearying.

I'm just amazed that a clever journalist thinks this is a clever thing to say. You generally should not use the word "repulsive" when you are tweeting about a person who has, literally, just died.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,316
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

Did I ever say she should not be allowed to make these remarks? You do plunge your angry bayonet into the Straw Man quite a lot. It is wearying.

I'm just amazed that a clever journalist thinks this is a clever thing to say. You generally should not use the word "repulsive" when you are tweeting about a person who has, literally, just died.

She is undoubtedly trying for the "all publicity is good publicity" thing by trying to start a Twatter Storm.

The winning move is not to play.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

Sad news, though 99 is a cracking age.

A good day/weekend/week to bury bad news. Don't expect we'll hear much about N. Ireland, exchanges between Sunak and Cameron, or any vaccine blips for some time. But at least we'll still get updates on county cricket scores on here.

In memory of Prince Philip, should we find random foreign looking people, engage with them then say something that others will find rude on their behalf?
    Isn't that something we do anyway, just for the laughs? :)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    https://unherd.com/2021/04/the-tragedy-of-ulsters-lost-boys/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=b70caa1d54&mc_eid=836634e34b

The majority of Unionists — including many people in working-class communities — will regard the rioting with deep disapproval, and want it stopped. But that will not eradicate their abiding dislike of the Protocol, and the effect it is having on businesses, trade and their sense of Britishness. They have been cut adrift by Boris Johnson’s vision of Brexit, in a way that even those Unionists who backed Brexit did not foresee, and which Johnson himself had explicitly promised would not happen. Perhaps they should have predicted what Johnson would actually do, and not listened to what he said, but then it has been a recurrent tendency of Unionists to place excessive faith in the word of a British prime minister.

Johnson’s Government showed a blithe disregard for the danger, although Theresa May had previously taken steps to avoid it. But by showing that Unionist concerns will be downgraded rather than run any risk of republican violence, the British Government and the EU have now created an awful incentive for loyalist paramilitaries to demonstrate an equivalent level of threat.

The loyalist paramilitaries — whether by instinct or conscious design — will now make it their business to create “serious societal difficulties” that are “liable to persist”. It’s a terrible script. And unless Britain and the EU can somehow rewrite it, fast, it’s going to make for a very long, hot summer.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Johnson pretending to give a fuck - LOL. NO FLEGS! Possible treason.

You may want to controversial but there are times to show respect

This is just such a moment
    He is disrespecting Shagger, not the late Lord Prince.
    You are as bad

This is not the time
    RIP Prince Philip. Top bloke, spoke his word, hard working and brave, perhaps liked the ladies a little bit too much but at least he had character. Excellent innings, Sir

Thoughts and condolences for the Queen. After this terrible year, this terrible blow. She's tough, but this is also tough. Concerning

However let's not overdo the maudlin sycophancy, he was 99, and he had a rich, incredible life of privilege (as well as service).

Jokes are allowed, I reckon. If only to lighten the mood
    Ah good.

So will she take a lover now, do we think?
    I would - for the kudos
    You're married, Stocky. The country wouldn't accept it.
    What about @SeanT? Or indeed, @Sean_F whom Justin memorably accused of being a philanderer in an epic case of mistaken identity?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

If you go on iPlayer and scroll back to 12.09 there is When Paramedics Attack, or something, on. It is very powerful the way they then interrupt this to go to the announcement. Newscaster there, in black. She looked quite moved. Then the National Anthem.

That's really tastefully done.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,447
    edited April 2021
    Squirrel:

French to give Pfizer as Second Dose after AZ for under-55s.

https://twitter.com/DarrenGBNews/status/1380465036179693568
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,466

RIP Prince Philip.

He made a huge contribution to modernising British public life, and his DofE awards expanded the horizons of opportunity for hundreds of thousands of children from urban backgrounds.

Most importantly, he provided strong and stalwart support to probably our most brilliant monarch in centuries behind the scenes - sacrificing himself and his career in ways I suspect none of us will ever really know - and for that he should have the respect of the whole nation.

I'm not a monarchist, but I agree with that.
  • Options
    It's absolutely impossible to see how events like this play out politically. Who would have thought that a terrorist event in the middle of the 2017 GE would end up helping the guy who had quite a love of giving terrorists a hug?
  • Options
    A sensible and humane Republican view (though insofar as I would ever have had the opportunity, I'd probably have knocked back the OBE tbh)

https://twitter.com/Hepworthclare/status/1380483310250565633?s=20
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,593
    They should get the Shinners to organise the funeral. They seem to know how to get round the limit on numbers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,161
    edited April 2021
    Personal note -

My father-in-law (rip) was a prominent Malaysian politician in the 60s and 70s and he met Philip a few times, hosted him once on his home patch. Philip was a relaxed sort of chap, he told me. My wife has some good black and white photos of them hanging out.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2021
    MattW said:
    Haven't they said that all those that suffered blood clots did so after the first dose?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Just watched it - she actually sounded like she'd been crying. As a lapsed journalist (a crap one) I find this stuff fascinating. When I worked in commercial radio there was a folder of what to do should a senior royal throw a 7 - IIRC we were to drop whatever we were doing, fade in Independent Radio News and then wait further instructions.

It could be worse. I was in LA when Princess Diana died. TV news there was covering the accident. Prototype American news anchors - female presenter who looked like Barbie, striking black male co-presenter with a Deep Voice. They broke into their coverage with "Oh. I'm receiving word that Princess Diana has died. [pause for effect]. We'll be back after these messages".

At which point it cut away to a photo of a smiling Diana. In a pink heart. With dates caption. I confess that I howled with laughter at how tone deaf it was.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    IanB2 said:

https://unherd.com/2021/04/the-tragedy-of-ulsters-lost-boys/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=b70caa1d54&mc_eid=836634e34b

The majority of Unionists — including many people in working-class communities — will regard the rioting with deep disapproval, and want it stopped. But that will not eradicate their abiding dislike of the Protocol, and the effect it is having on businesses, trade and their sense of Britishness. They have been cut adrift by Boris Johnson’s vision of Brexit, in a way that even those Unionists who backed Brexit did not foresee, and which Johnson himself had explicitly promised would not happen. Perhaps they should have predicted what Johnson would actually do, and not listened to what he said, but then it has been a recurrent tendency of Unionists to place excessive faith in the word of a British prime minister.

Johnson’s Government showed a blithe disregard for the danger, although Theresa May had previously taken steps to avoid it. But by showing that Unionist concerns will be downgraded rather than run any risk of republican violence, the British Government and the EU have now created an awful incentive for loyalist paramilitaries to demonstrate an equivalent level of threat.

The loyalist paramilitaries — whether by instinct or conscious design — will now make it their business to create “serious societal difficulties” that are “liable to persist”. It’s a terrible script. And unless Britain and the EU can somehow rewrite it, fast, it’s going to make for a very long, hot summer.

Can we not link to far right sites please. Especially not today.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    Will Harry be coming home .. with or without Meghan..
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    On the subject of chip fabs, an excellent piece of historical trivia...
    https://twitter.com/curiouswavefn/status/1364445490541039624
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 596
    edited April 2021
    I met Prince Philip once and found him charming but I was young and pretty then.
    (It was a long time ago.)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

unherd.com far right??? Think you maybe just be trying a bit too hard?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    I doubt it’ll have much impact on VI

There ain’t a political betting angle to this, IMO
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Just watched it - she actually sounded like she'd been crying. As a lapsed journalist (a crap one) I find this stuff fascinating. When I worked in commercial radio there was a folder of what to do should a senior royal throw a 7 - IIRC we were to drop whatever we were doing, fade in Independent Radio News and then wait further instructions.

It could be worse. I was in LA when Princess Diana died. TV news there was covering the accident. Prototype American news anchors - female presenter who looked like Barbie, striking black male co-presenter with a Deep Voice. They broke into their coverage with "Oh. I'm receiving word that Princess Diana has died. [pause for effect]. We'll be back after these messages".

At which point it cut away to a photo of a smiling Diana. In a pink heart. With dates caption. I confess that I howled with laughter at how tone deaf it was.

I remember when Diana died - I was abroad and news came through that her condition was "grave". Oh that's ok we said, she's well enough to have a condition, and a doctor with us said no - grave means they are about to or have died.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    MattW said:

Who can attend a funeral?
    Funeral ceremonies must have no more than 30 people attending, whether indoors or outdoors. This number does not include anyone working at the event.

The actual number of people able to attend will depend on how many people can be accommodated safely within the premises with social distancing, and where the organiser has carried out a risk assessment and taken all reasonable measures to limit the risk of transmission of COVID-19. In some cases, this may be fewer than 30 people. Keeping overall numbers as low as possible will reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Limits for funeral ceremonies held as part of communal worship that follows COVID-19 secure guidelines will be defined by the capacity of the place of worship. Guidance on places of worship is available.

Private Funeral for family only at Windsor sounds quite likely then.

Either 30 from April 12th, or unlimited from 21 June.

No special changes to the rules will be made or accepted I think.
    A small private family funeral followed by a national memorial service when we are allowed to socialise without restrictions would be appropriate in the current circumstances.
  • Options
    Just had an email from the Scottish LibDems suspending the election campaign.
  • Options
    Sudden rush of sadness

Odd
  • Options

I think you mean their campaign. Not THE campaign.
  • Options
    Just as long as there's no fucking clapping.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,189

They've been campaigning? What for?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

Hopefully it will dog her for the rest of her days.

It is a sign of how immature and shallow so many people can be.

There have been plenty of people who have died over the years who I have been deeply opposed to in almost everything they stood for. Ted Heath was, for me, the classic of that ilk. And yet when he died I was saddened.

A unique individual who was clearly of great intelligence and who had done something of note with his life had passed away and taken with him a lifetime of knowledge, observations and understanding. A singular perspective on existence (for everyone's perspective is singular) had ended. That is a thing to be mourned no matter who the person is - though I would of course make an exception for those who have set out to do harm to others. But they are few and far between thankfully.

I am not a religious person so I believe that when someone passes all those thoughts and memories, the loves, the hopes and the dreams, are lost. They are irreplaceable and that is something truly to be mourned.

Rutger Hauer got it perfectly

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

10 days quarantine at a travelodge, they can turn it into a documentary.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They've been campaigning? What for?
    Attention.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I can't find the programme on iPlayer. Could you link? I'd like to see

Ta
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,316

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

unherd.com far right??? Think you maybe just be trying a bit too hard?
    It's also a rather good article

"parity of menace” - yes, that is a good summation of what the Loyalist Paramilitaries want.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Harry 1/3
    Meghan 6/4
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    RIP Prince Philip.

At least it is at the tail end of the pandemic, so hopefully a fitting memorial service can be held.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    According to Wikipedia, Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh and when it reverts back to the Crown when he becomes King, it will be created again for Edward.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    TOPPING said:

Just as long as there's no fucking clapping.

Maybe Meghan will clap if she shows up?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RIP Prince Philip.

He made a huge contribution to modernising British public life, and his DofE awards expanded the horizons of opportunity for hundreds of thousands of children from urban backgrounds.

Most importantly, he provided strong and stalwart support to probably our most brilliant monarch in centuries behind the scenes - sacrificing himself and his career in ways I suspect none of us will ever really know - and for that he should have the respect of the whole nation.

I'm not a monarchist, but I agree with that.
    Does 'not a monarchist' mean republican?

Or does it mean 'not into them one iota but wouldn't abolish'?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    RIP Prince Philip from Dartmouth, where he and Her Majesty met for the first time at the Royal Naval College.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    edited April 2021
    Having the same programme on every BBC TV channel and every radio channel is surely unnecessary.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    i wonder how the Prince Philip Movement in Vanuatu will take it? Will they adopt Charles as their spiritual leader as Philip's heir?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Johnson pretending to give a fuck - LOL. NO FLEGS! Possible treason.

You may want to controversial but there are times to show respect

This is just such a moment
    He is disrespecting Shagger, not the late Lord Prince.
    You are as bad

This is not the time
    RIP Prince Philip. Top bloke, spoke his word, hard working and brave, perhaps liked the ladies a little bit too much but at least he had character. Excellent innings, Sir

Thoughts and condolences for the Queen. After this terrible year, this terrible blow. She's tough, but this is also tough. Concerning

However let's not overdo the maudlin sycophancy, he was 99, and he had a rich, incredible life of privilege (as well as service).

Jokes are allowed, I reckon. If only to lighten the mood
    Ah good.

So will she take a lover now, do we think?
    I would - for the kudos
    You're married, Stocky. The country wouldn't accept it.
    What about @SeanT? Or indeed, @Sean_F whom Justin memorably accused of being a philanderer in an epic case of mistaken identity?
    Her Majesty has standards.

PS: Great id mix up there. Chalk and cheese, those Seans, except for both being "creatures of the ni ... right".
  • Options
    Brom said:

Hilarious. I think he will come but she will not.... excusing it by her pregnancy. Good thing too.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,144
    Is anyone doing a bad news watch?

Good to keep an eye out for people trying to bury something embarrassing.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

There have been plenty of people who have died over the years who I have been deeply opposed to in almost everything they stood for. Ted Heath was, for me, the classic of that ilk. And yet when he died I was saddened.

A unique individual who was clearly of great intelligence and who had done something of note with his life had passed away and taken with him a lifetime of knowledge, observations and understanding. A singular perspective on existence (for everyone's perspective is singular) had ended. That is a thing to be mourned no matter who the person is - though I would of course make an exception for those who have set out to do harm to others. But they are few and far between thankfully.

I am not a religious person so I believe that when someone passes all those thoughts and memories, the loves, the hopes and the dreams, are lost. They are irreplaceable and that is something truly to be mourned.

I feel immense sadness for the Queen. She has lost her soulmate.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Edit - I wonder where they will bury him, though? Westminster Abbey is presumably where Her Majesty will be laid to rest when the time comes and I’m assuming they’ll want to be buried together. So Westminster not Windsor for the funeral, on that basis.
    Her immediate predecessors were all buried at Windsor so I suspect he will be.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    IanB2 said:

Having the same programme on every BBC TV channel and every radio channel is surely unnecessary.

Sounds like they’re doing a dress rehearsal for the big one. That will clear schedules for days.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Brom said:

Hilarious. I think he will come but she will not.... excusing it by her pregnancy. Good thing too.
    She won't let him
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Ta
    Go to today's schedule and play from start the 11.45 news bulletin then scroll to 12.08.

Edit: BBC1
  • Options
    Just seeing Boris's announcement on the BBC. I know the permanently dishevelled look is part of his persona, but given the circumstances, couldn't he have at least run a hairbrush through his barnet?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

I feel immense sadness for the Queen. She has lost her soulmate.
    Yes, after initially viewing this quite cheerily - a characterful old man has died at 99, a grand display of batting, no need for tears - I now feel genuinely sad. The Queen must be broken hearted, even if this is not unexpected.

When a long marriage - when any long and deep relationship - ends with death, it is like a language going extinct. Something brilliantly unique and precious is lost, all those jokes and memes and memories, shared with that one other person: gone.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    edited April 2021

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

The royal mausoleum and burial grounds at Frogmore, Windsor Great Park.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Jockey Club discussing postponing Grand National.
    Here we go...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Ta
    Go to today's schedule and play from start the 11.45 news bulletin then scroll to 12.08.

Edit: BBC1
    Found it. Thanks

Yes it is moving, even startling. The abrupt switch to mourning black and grey....
  • Options

According to Wikipedia, Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh and when it reverts back to the Crown when he becomes King, it will be created again for Edward.

I note it’s uncited. I’m inclined to suspend judgement on that for the moment. It may of course have been put up by somebody at Buckingham Palace, then again it may not have been.

Please remember that technically any noble title has to be confirmed by the Crown before somebody succeeds to it - e.g. contrary to what Wikipedia says, Edward IV was never Duke of York. He went straight from being Earl of March to being King. And therefore, the Crown can vary the succession if they wish.

That doesn’t apply to the Crown itself, although again, technically an heir should be named in advance (albeit I think the last time it wasn’t an obvious choice was 1714, when it went to a cadet branch under the Act of Settlement.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,308
    edited April 2021
    Deleted as borderline bad taste.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    rpjs said:

Just seeing Boris's announcement on the BBC. I know the permanently dishevelled look is part of his persona, but given the circumstances, couldn't he have at least run a hairbrush through his barnet?

Agree, and most of the speech was good, but banging on about long marriages.......

When the old King died BBC shut down all it's programmes for several days. One was forced to find a crackly Radio Luxembourg.

My other memory of the king's death is of the whole school being called into the Hall by the Head. "Boys" he said (it was an all boys school) 'I have to tell you that the King has died" He paused.'As it is a sad occasion there will not he a half-holiday. Go back to your classrooms."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

That's true, though I think a lot of people will be surprised that people think they are being cocks if they choose to make such comments, and the best criticism they can come up with is he maed jokes in bad taste.

One thing we will get in such times is people complainaing about the level of coverage, and it will be intense and may well be excessive, but I do very much hope people do not pretend that they are not allowed to care. Being criticised for being offensive about it is not the same thing, though they will pretend it is.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,447

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It will probably St George's Chapel.

Definitely not in a car park in Leicester.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I note it’s uncited. I’m inclined to suspend judgement on that for the moment. It may of course have been put up by somebody at Buckingham Palace, then again it may not have been.

Please remember that technically any noble title has to be confirmed by the Crown before somebody succeeds to it - e.g. contrary to what Wikipedia says, Edward IV was never Duke of York. He went straight from being Earl of March to being King. And therefore, the Crown can vary the succession if they wish.

That doesn’t apply to the Crown itself, although again, technically an heir should be named in advance (albeit I think the last time it wasn’t an obvious choice was 1714, when it went to a cadet branch under the Act of Settlement.
    The order of succession for the current creation would have been defined in the Letters Patent creating it. I think the Wikipedia assessment is most likely broadly correct, although the Crown would have the power to extinguish the current creation and make a new one, and I'm sure Charles would be happy to allow it, I doubt they will do so.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

They've moved the Aintree meeting coverage this afternoon from ITV1 to ITV4.
  • Options

My advice to my fellow Republicans, keep it classy, and if you've not got anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.

Very sensible advice, especially as we know you like a good royalist trolling in all good fun. No one has to become a monarchist just because a royal dies, and no one needs to care, but being performatively crass about it will only rebound.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,844
    Why has the BBC got all its channels showing the same thing?
  • Options

All of them? Even CBBC?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    DeClare said:

If the National goes then pressure will be on football. Then all else. Domino effect...
  • Options

The Queen will take this badly I fear.

It's very selfish, but it does inevitably make us all reflect that, well, she is already a very old lady herself, albeit seemingly in good health.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939

Absolutely no idea. I tried all of them, before retreating to Channel 4 for some daytime DIY trash.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Prince Philip has died

5...4...3...2...1....somebody sends an offensive tweet about it.
    It's what he would have wanted.
    You're probably right, though his kind of humour is not really in vogue now of course.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2021
    IanB2 said:

Yes, the simulcast on Radio 3 and Radio 4 felt a bit unnecessary, and even a teensy bit North Korean.

Historically quite interesting, was old Phil. Appearing to be a paragon of the Old Establishment, but in fact he was much more complex than that. He was very fond of his mother, and quite a lot of his mixture of warmly affable, and at other times and for others, off-puttingly direct bluntness actually came from her German-Greek milieu. She was trying to get him back to Greece in the '30s, and still hadn't quite given up on that psychologically in her last years at Buckingham Palace as an Orthodox nun. An interesting story.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    dixiedean said:

DeClare said:

If the National goes then pressure will be on football. Then all else. Domino effect...
    That just wont do. It's very important that Fulham lose to Wolves tonight.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

I don't hope a crass tweet will dog her for the rest of her days.

That is a mean and brutish sentiment, Richard, which you then follow straight up with a borderline lovely little exposition on human value.

Illustrating exactly the point - people are a unique blend of this & that, and their lives should not be dissed.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

The BBC actually has a pretty good piece on his life:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50589065

He reminds me of an old uncle who died a few years back (pretty well a contemporary, also fought in the war). I liked him a great deal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

That's true, though I think a lot of people will be surprised that people think they are being cocks if they choose to make such comments, and the best criticism they can come up with is he maed jokes in bad taste.

One thing we will get in such times is people complainaing about the level of coverage, and it will be intense and may well be excessive, but I do very much hope people do not pretend that they are not allowed to care. Being criticised for being offensive about it is not the same thing, though they will pretend it is.
    The tweet is still up, she may get away with it as she is not well known and the news is quite distracting

But the more I think about it the most tastelessly ugly it is. If nothing else, a very old lady - dutiful and hard working - is in terrible grief, following the death of her husband of 70 years. On a human scale, that is deeply sad

Ten minutes after he dies is not the time to say you think he was "repulsive" and you "don't give a toss" that he's dead

Twitter at its worst. The urge to display your opinions, even when they are asinine or malformed....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I rarely like too much of what TSE says these days but he was surely on the money when he said earlier that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. I feel sad for the Queen today - she has had an annus horribilis for sure again. And RIP for the Duke!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,706
    IanB2 said:

From the article:

Both loyalists and the wider Unionist population feel strongly that the Protocol fundamentally undermines Northern Ireland’s position in the UK, an analysis which most outside observers would surely find hard to counter.

This is a misunderstanding. Brexit itself, and certainly Johnson's implementation of it, undermines Northern Ireland’s position in the UK. The Protocol is a way of trying to live with it. If they can't make Brexit work, there will be no Northern Ireland.

The utter inability of Northern Ireland's unionists to realise the status quo is their friend is that community's great tragedy
  • Options

Note Jezza has taken the time to tweet about Bolivia but not about Phil yet.

Oh please let's not pillory people for not responding quickly enough on Twitter in expressing condolence.
  • Options

Jesus, just checked and even BBC Alba!
    A touch North Korean..
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,947
    To lighten the mood slightly I will post this (without regret)

https://twitter.com/shckldg/status/1380279802746306562
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill

I'm quite happy for the Beeb to devote Beeb 1 to it, then people who want to watch it have somewhere obvious to find it, but devoting all its channels to the same stream is both excessive and pointless.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Much of what we're experiencing today feels like the end of an era. The long post-war period ran until around 2020. Brexit, Covid and now a significant death feels like the move into a new, arguably scary, era.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DeClare said:

A minute’s silence at all county games, I understand, then they continue. Can’t see why football can’t manage the same.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

DeClare said:

That just wont do. It's very important that Fulham lose to Wolves tonight.

Surely it won't lead to a cancellation of the sporting calendar? That is excessive.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

DeClare said:

A minute’s silence at all county games, I understand, then they continue. Can’t see why football can’t manage the same.
    Indeed, that sounds like the right response.
  • Options

Jesus, just checked and even BBC Alba!
    A touch North Korean..
    Hmm, I was guessing it would be dura ace that make that comparison first.

Big stuff like this demands a lot of focus, though also always goes over the top with it. When Her Majesty dies, gods forbid, if we get less than 2 weeks wall to wall coverage I will be very surprised, so people may want to line up a 'royal dealth' playlist on netflix.
This discussion has been closed.