Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My email from Boris suggests the Tory database is not as sophisticated as you might expect – politic

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Jonathan said:

Much of what we're experiencing today feels like the end of an era. The long post-war period ran until around 2020. Brexit, Covid and now a significant death feels like the move into a new, arguably scary, era.

Personally I'd say the post-war era ended with the end of the Cold War. I do think that we are currently in transition from the post-Cold War globalist era to something new though.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    felix said:

I rarely like too much of what TSE says these days but he was surely on the money when he said earlier that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. I feel sad for the Queen today - she has had an annus horribilis for sure again. And RIP for the Duke!

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    Le Monde is at it too:

"Le prince Philip, mort vendredi à l'âge de 99 ans, a souvent fait montre d’une certaine condescendance aristocratique, voire de xénophobie ou de racisme impérial"

https://twitter.com/lemondefr/status/1380486360482643970
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    This thread has joined the choir celestial.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    edited April 2021

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

DeClare said:

Deleted as borderline bad taste.

They've moved the Aintree meeting coverage this afternoon from ITV1 to ITV4.
    If the National goes then pressure will be on football. Then all else. Domino effect...
    A minute’s silence at all county games, I understand, then they continue. Can’t see why football can’t manage the same.
    Indeed, that sounds like the right response.
    And Joe Root at the crease, respectfully eschewing any flashy scoring shots.
    (current SR (edit) 22)

(edit) the disrespectful bugger just hit a four.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    FF43 said:
    Annoyed that people are talking about Philip?
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    ydoethur said:

According to Wikipedia, Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh and when it reverts back to the Crown when he becomes King, it will be created again for Edward.

I note it’s uncited. I’m inclined to suspend judgement on that for the moment. It may of course have been put up by somebody at Buckingham Palace, then again it may not have been.

Please remember that technically any noble title has to be confirmed by the Crown before somebody succeeds to it - e.g. contrary to what Wikipedia says, Edward IV was never Duke of York. He went straight from being Earl of March to being King. And therefore, the Crown can vary the succession if they wish.

That doesn’t apply to the Crown itself, although again, technically an heir should be named in advance (albeit I think the last time it wasn’t an obvious choice was 1714, when it went to a cadet branch under the Act of Settlement.
    I think i remember that when Edward was created Earl of Wessex upon his marriage to Sophie, a special remainder was added to the Duke of Edinburgh's title so that upon the Duke's death, the Dukedom would pass to the Earl of Wessex.

So Edward should now be the 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, dunno if the subsidiary titles, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich are included, and Edward is still also Earl of Wessex, his son James should now be allowed to use that as a courtesy title as an upgrade from Viscount Severn
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Why has the BBC got all its channels showing the same thing?

Jesus, just checked and even BBC Alba!
    A touch North Korean..
    Hmm, I was guessing it would be dura ace that make that comparison first.

Big stuff like this demands a lot of focus, though also always goes over the top with it. When Her Majesty dies, gods forbid, if we get less than 2 weeks wall to wall coverage I will be very surprised, so people may want to line up a 'royal dealth' playlist on netflix.
    You don't think 3 channels of the state broadcaster showing exactly the same output is a bit excessive? At least Alba in a dangerously subversive move was doing an obit programme.

Edit: checked again and BBC Alba is back in line.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited April 2021
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

RIP Prince Philip.

He made a huge contribution to modernising British public life, and his DofE awards expanded the horizons of opportunity for hundreds of thousands of children from urban backgrounds.

Most importantly, he provided strong and stalwart support to probably our most brilliant monarch in centuries behind the scenes - sacrificing himself and his career in ways I suspect none of us will ever really know - and for that he should have the respect of the whole nation.

I'm not a monarchist, but I agree with that.
    Does 'not a monarchist' mean republican?

Or does it mean 'not into them one iota but wouldn't abolish'?
    The latter.
    Abolition would be more hassle than it's worth, and the alternative, given our current leaders, almost certainly extremely ill conceived.
    Yes, I guessed so. Same as me. I do often think, "Oh c'mon. This is silly. Class validation and infantilizing. Must be a better way." And then I fail to come up with one.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited April 2021

kle4 said:

Jesus, just checked and even BBC Alba!
    A touch North Korean..
    Hmm, I was guessing it would be dura ace that make that comparison first.

Big stuff like this demands a lot of focus, though also always goes over the top with it. When Her Majesty dies, gods forbid, if we get less than 2 weeks wall to wall coverage I will be very surprised, so people may want to line up a 'royal dealth' playlist on netflix.
    You don't think 3 channels of the state broadcaster showing exactly the same output is a bit excessive? At least Alba in a dangerously subversive move was doing an obit programme.

Edit: checked again and BBC Alba is back in line.
    I'm not sure how you got that impression considering I used the words that stuff like this 'always goes over the top with it'. This stuff is always excessive. I'm a monarchist and even I think royal coverage is usually overdone, even on more mundane happenings.

I just think acting surprised about it and equating it to North Korea in the mere literal hours after the event, as opposed to say if it's still the case 2 days from now, is a bit too 'aha, I hope someone gets offended at my super rebellious north korean reference'.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

According to Wikipedia, Charles is now the Duke of Edinburgh and when it reverts back to the Crown when he becomes King, it will be created again for Edward.

Surely William doesn’t now have to take Welsh lessons?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If you go on iPlayer and scroll back to 12.09 there is When Paramedics Attack, or something, on. It is very powerful the way they then interrupt this to go to the announcement. Newscaster there, in black. She looked quite moved. Then the National Anthem.

Just watched it - she actually sounded like she'd been crying. As a lapsed journalist (a crap one) I find this stuff fascinating. When I worked in commercial radio there was a folder of what to do should a senior royal throw a 7 - IIRC we were to drop whatever we were doing, fade in Independent Radio News and then wait further instructions.

It could be worse. I was in LA when Princess Diana died. TV news there was covering the accident. Prototype American news anchors - female presenter who looked like Barbie, striking black male co-presenter with a Deep Voice. They broke into their coverage with "Oh. I'm receiving word that Princess Diana has died. [pause for effect]. We'll be back after these messages".

At which point it cut away to a photo of a smiling Diana. In a pink heart. With dates caption. I confess that I howled with laughter at how tone deaf it was.

I remember when Diana died - I was abroad and news came through that her condition was "grave". Oh that's ok we said, she's well enough to have a condition, and a doctor with us said no - grave means they are about to or have died.
    After the road crash, and given the hour, news reports simply led with her death.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    I think there will be a bit of morbid humour to be found if pointing to racist jokes is the best the humourless reporters and comics can come up with (funny as the guy is, John Oliver's joke a week or so ago about it being a shame Phillip hadn't died yet suggests he for one will probably mention it and how racist Philip was).

The only major figure I can remember mainstream people not even attempting to be nice or diplomatic about when they passed away was Ian Paisley, but it might be people are becoming more comfortable speaking ill of the dead without even a pause.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    IanB2 said:

Surely William doesn’t now have to take Welsh lessons?
    It was inevitable.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Just had an email from the Scottish LibDems suspending the election campaign.

They've been campaigning? What for?
    Fourth place.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Yes, this does look like an issue for viral vector vaccines. Which generate a very strong immune response to the vector and to the vaccine among young people
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

https://unherd.com/2021/04/the-tragedy-of-ulsters-lost-boys/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=b70caa1d54&mc_eid=836634e34b

The majority of Unionists — including many people in working-class communities — will regard the rioting with deep disapproval, and want it stopped. But that will not eradicate their abiding dislike of the Protocol, and the effect it is having on businesses, trade and their sense of Britishness. They have been cut adrift by Boris Johnson’s vision of Brexit, in a way that even those Unionists who backed Brexit did not foresee, and which Johnson himself had explicitly promised would not happen. Perhaps they should have predicted what Johnson would actually do, and not listened to what he said, but then it has been a recurrent tendency of Unionists to place excessive faith in the word of a British prime minister.

Johnson’s Government showed a blithe disregard for the danger, although Theresa May had previously taken steps to avoid it. But by showing that Unionist concerns will be downgraded rather than run any risk of republican violence, the British Government and the EU have now created an awful incentive for loyalist paramilitaries to demonstrate an equivalent level of threat.

The loyalist paramilitaries — whether by instinct or conscious design — will now make it their business to create “serious societal difficulties” that are “liable to persist”. It’s a terrible script. And unless Britain and the EU can somehow rewrite it, fast, it’s going to make for a very long, hot summer.

From the article:

Both loyalists and the wider Unionist population feel strongly that the Protocol fundamentally undermines Northern Ireland’s position in the UK, an analysis which most outside observers would surely find hard to counter.

This is a misunderstanding. Brexit itself, and certainly Johnson's implementation of it, undermines Northern Ireland’s position in the UK. The Protocol is a way of trying to live with it. If they can't make Brexit work, there will be no Northern Ireland.

The utter inability of Northern Ireland's unionists to realise the status quo is their friend is that community's great tragedy
    Ironic that just failing to say no, just the once, was their great mistake.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    MaxPB said:

Yes, this does look like an issue for viral vector vaccines. Which generate a very strong immune response to the vector and to the vaccine among young people
    Presumably a small number of people will experience similar extreme reactions to minor viral infections anyway.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Just seeing Boris's announcement on the BBC. I know the permanently dishevelled look is part of his persona, but given the circumstances, couldn't he have at least run a hairbrush through his barnet?

The dishevel is to cover the gaps, I fear.
  • Options

All of them? Even CBBC?
    BBC4 is still shutdown. Very disrespectful.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

All of them? Even CBBC?
    BBC4 is still shutdown. Very disrespectful.
    Wasting some quite good lines on the old thread, Ian.

It's only me here.
  • Options
    CursingStoneCursingStone Posts: 421
    edited April 2021
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If you go on iPlayer and scroll back to 12.09 there is When Paramedics Attack, or something, on. It is very powerful the way they then interrupt this to go to the announcement. Newscaster there, in black. She looked quite moved. Then the National Anthem.

Just watched it - she actually sounded like she'd been crying. As a lapsed journalist (a crap one) I find this stuff fascinating. When I worked in commercial radio there was a folder of what to do should a senior royal throw a 7 - IIRC we were to drop whatever we were doing, fade in Independent Radio News and then wait further instructions.

It could be worse. I was in LA when Princess Diana died. TV news there was covering the accident. Prototype American news anchors - female presenter who looked like Barbie, striking black male co-presenter with a Deep Voice. They broke into their coverage with "Oh. I'm receiving word that Princess Diana has died. [pause for effect]. We'll be back after these messages".

At which point it cut away to a photo of a smiling Diana. In a pink heart. With dates caption. I confess that I howled with laughter at how tone deaf it was.

I remember when Diana died - I was abroad and news came through that her condition was "grave". Oh that's ok we said, she's well enough to have a condition, and a doctor with us said no - grave means they are about to or have died.
    After the road crash, and given the hour, news reports simply led with her death.
    I remember listening to the radio in the early morning. It was TalkRadio in its very early days. I cant remember the broadcaster's name now, but some of the best and most professional radio broadcasting i had heard up until then or since.

Edit Mike Dickin was the presenter
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    Is J&J the same technology as AZ?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

I think there will be a bit of morbid humour to be found if pointing to racist jokes is the best the humourless reporters and comics can come up with (funny as the guy is, John Oliver's joke a week or so ago about it being a shame Phillip hadn't died yet suggests he for one will probably mention it and how racist Philip was).

The only major figure I can remember mainstream people not even attempting to be nice or diplomatic about when they passed away was Ian Paisley, but it might be people are becoming more comfortable speaking ill of the dead without even a pause.

Michael Jackson?

The news he'd died was met with nothing but jokes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Michael Jackson?

The news he'd died was met with nothing but jokes.
    Not from me. I was moved and sad. Despite everything a towering genius of music and dance.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    The despicable silence of the separatists. Speak up lads!

https://twitter.com/britafterbrex/status/1380585122534146048?s=21
This discussion has been closed.