Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My email from Boris suggests the Tory database is not as sophisticated as you might expect – politic

Comments

• Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

ridaligo said:

@Philip_Thompson

If the UK wanted to be serious it would need to commit to a long term investment in semis i.e. decades. You can't do this half-heartedly. $10B for a fab is the tip of the iceberg and these things can't be done standalone - you need all the surrounding infrastructure, eco-systems, R&D, etc, etc.). The UK could do worse than look at what South Korea and Taiwan did in the 1980s and 1990s to kick start their semis industries.

TSMC recently suggested $100B CAPEX and R&D over the next 3 years, which is probably on the high side for a short term investment plan (but they know what they are doing).

For a serious, long term UK program, start with a fund of $100B for the first 5-year plan and go from there.

Yes, starting from scratch we'd need to push at least £10bn in the next year for literally no return and then double that next year for still almost no return. It wouldn't be until year 3 and another £20-25bn until we started to see 5nm chips, by which time TSMC would be on a better process node.

There's a lot of money to be made in the lesser nodes which also requires separate investment but to a lesser degree but that would put UKSMC in competition with Intel, TSMC, GloFo and a whole host of Japanese foundries.
    Do you think it would be worth doing that, potentially using some money from 'national security' budgets and not purely economic? Or not really?
    I think if we were to do something it should be in next generation technology like graphene. A standing start for a silicon semiconductor industry vs TSMC and Intel just seems completely unrealistic and a huge, huge money blackhole for the government which will get nothing for it but hassle and bad headlines of money wasted it could have spent on the NHS etc...
    I don't think either Philip or myself were suggesting we build an entirely new company, more that it may make sense to encourage TSMC, Intel or indeed both to build a fab or 2 in the UK.

If it's bleeding edge, that's Sagans of money and a lot of time.

If it's older tech, that less money but no chance of profitability.
    Yes, the older tech is generally run through depreciated 8 inch fabs. If you are going to build a new fab, the economics (and the availability of clean room and equipment) mean it really has to be 12 inch (even at slightly trailing edge nodes) ... which is, as you say, expensive!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Most importantly, will Harry and Meghan come over for the funeral? We must know.

They HAVE to. Harry would become the most hated man in Britain if he refused to attend the funeral of his late grandfather, and snubbed his grandmother, even in her grief

They have no choice
    You’re assuming the Royals would want to invite them in the first place. Why would they want the outcasts to make a family funeral all about themselves?
    Did Edward VIII attend the funeral of his brother?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    dixiedean said:

Who will be the first politician to suggest it would be inappropriate to lift restrictions on Monday?

A very stupid one.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Leon said:

Most importantly, will Harry and Meghan come over for the funeral? We must know.

They HAVE to. Harry would become the most hated man in Britain if he refused to attend the funeral of his late grandfather, and snubbed his grandmother, even in her grief

They have no choice
    Meghan's got her outfit sorted

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    edited April 2021

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Prince Philip has died

5...4...3...2...1....somebody sends an offensive tweet about it.
    They're going to replay his greatest hits? Slitty eyes, always drunk etc?
    I suspect he would have appreciated that.
    He said some bloody amazing things, but always meant well. Just a product of his era. The Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme will continue to honour his memory.
    I always liked my idea that since the Queen hires the PM, Philip should have done the firing/exit interviews.

Can you imagine - "You have 1 hour with the ex-PM. Be really, really frank about his/her performance."
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

The Queen will take this badly I fear.

FWIW (which is little), I can imagine that she might cope well. Stoical person, many people around her, still much activity in her life.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,113

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

They have no choice
    You’re assuming the Royals would want to invite them in the first place. Why would they want the outcasts to make a family funeral all about themselves?
    Yes, although I understand that speech between him and the Queen Mother was rather, um, stilted.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Prince Philip has died

5...4...3...2...1....somebody sends an offensive tweet about it.
    Dura, come on down!
    I got banned from Twitter for saying I wished he were dead. Where's my apology?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

Leon said:

They have no choice
    Meghan's got her outfit sorted

Mourning Becomes Electra
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

How can they, given quarantine rules? I am assuming it will be a private funeral with a memorial service later when restrictions have been lifted, as well.
    You are allowed to break quarantine rules for a funeral, they are exempted
    That's to be allowed to travel out of UK. AFAIK quarantine applies for incomers.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited April 2021

My advice to my fellow Republicans, keep it classy, and if you've not got anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.

I always liked Prince Philip - he knew what he was and couldn't careless what other people thought about him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    PM statement now on the passing of Prince Philip outside No 10
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968

My advice to my fellow Republicans, keep it classy, and if you've not got anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.

All I want to know is when normal service will be resumed on Radio 3? I was listening to some Stravinsky (composer of the week) and it’s been interrupted by some commentators spouting platitudes. I very much hope they return to their senses in time for tomorrow’s scheduled Stravinsky day ...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

I feel sorry for the Queen and the family, as I would for anyone in these circumstances. The fact that I would vote for a republic, if asked, does not mean I have any personal malice towards the Queen or anyone else in the Royal Family.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    RIP Prince Philip
  • Options
    Johnson pretending to give a fuck - LOL. NO FLEGS! Possible treason.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

They have no choice
    Yep, dunno if Wallis was much in evidence.
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    @Malmesbury

Another factor - for Taiwan, this kind of thing is a guarantee that the rest of the world won't sell them down the river, when the Chinese decide they want Taiwan back...

So Taiwan will be very keen to keep its position on the chip foundry business.

That is true ... at least in the short term the US can't let anything happen to Taiwan (and Taiwan knows this). Wars have been fought over less ...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    ridaligo said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

ridaligo said:

@Philip_Thompson

If the UK wanted to be serious it would need to commit to a long term investment in semis i.e. decades. You can't do this half-heartedly. $10B for a fab is the tip of the iceberg and these things can't be done standalone - you need all the surrounding infrastructure, eco-systems, R&D, etc, etc.). The UK could do worse than look at what South Korea and Taiwan did in the 1980s and 1990s to kick start their semis industries.

TSMC recently suggested $100B CAPEX and R&D over the next 3 years, which is probably on the high side for a short term investment plan (but they know what they are doing).

For a serious, long term UK program, start with a fund of $100B for the first 5-year plan and go from there.

Yes, starting from scratch we'd need to push at least £10bn in the next year for literally no return and then double that next year for still almost no return. It wouldn't be until year 3 and another £20-25bn until we started to see 5nm chips, by which time TSMC would be on a better process node.

There's a lot of money to be made in the lesser nodes which also requires separate investment but to a lesser degree but that would put UKSMC in competition with Intel, TSMC, GloFo and a whole host of Japanese foundries.
    Do you think it would be worth doing that, potentially using some money from 'national security' budgets and not purely economic? Or not really?
    I think if we were to do something it should be in next generation technology like graphene. A standing start for a silicon semiconductor industry vs TSMC and Intel just seems completely unrealistic and a huge, huge money blackhole for the government which will get nothing for it but hassle and bad headlines of money wasted it could have spent on the NHS etc...
    I don't think either Philip or myself were suggesting we build an entirely new company, more that it may make sense to encourage TSMC, Intel or indeed both to build a fab or 2 in the UK.

If it's bleeding edge, that's Sagans of money and a lot of time.

If it's older tech, that less money but no chance of profitability.
    Yes, the older tech is generally run through depreciated 8 inch fabs. If you are going to build a new fab, the economics (and the availability of clean room and equipment) mean it really has to be 12 inch (even at slightly trailing edge nodes) ... which is, as you say, expensive!
    On the upside - requires literal tons of all the more fruity fluorine compounds.

Setting fire to gravel.... hmmmmm.... fun!
  • Options
    lol

Louise Mensch, ex of this selfsame parish. has spent the last six months ranting about the evil British royal fam and its racist members hiding the awful pedo Andrew (she's got a point on the last bit, natch). Now....

Latest Tweets

@LouiseMensch

5m
    I am so sorry to hear of the death of His Royal Highness the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. He will be greatly mourned by all Britons and many around the world. He was a blessing to Her Majesty the Queen, and a devoted public servant. May God grant him eternal life.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Boris can do serious after all....
  • Options
    I suppose the excuse for the Duchess of Sussex to stay away is that she’s pregnant so travel wouldn’t be a good idea at the moment.

Whether that applies to Harry, I don’t know.
  • Options
    Is it still a maximum of 30 people at a funeral or is that relaxed as of Monday?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited April 2021
    RIP Prince Phil.

There will be a lot of conversation about his role in foundation of the WWF in the 1950s / 1960s.

Last survivor of the Battle of Cape Matapan, possibly. Young officer commanding the searchlights on the battleship HMS Valiant.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

They have no choice
    Yep, dunno if Wallis was much in evidence.
    She didn’t attend, because Queen Mary said she wouldn’t receive her.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I suppose when you've tried and failed with all the other radicalisations, right wing culture warrior is what's left. Galloway's novel is going to be an absolute stinker, pound shop orator soundbites repeated page after page.

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1380460955612635136?s=20

"They hate the Crown but live well on its half crown."

The power and profundity of that.

Next up, in some TV studio somewhere or other, will surely come, "Boris Johnson and Nicola Sturgeon are two cheeks of the same arse".

He walked into the (unionist) party like he was loving where he was at.
    His hat strategically dipped below one eye, he likes to pretend he's a cat.
    He had one eye in the mirror as he watched himself talk tat.
    And all the Scots dreamed that he'd be their saviour, he'd be their saviour, and ...

He's a pain.
    I bet he thinks this poem is about him.

:smile:
    I've only just realised what was his main motivation for moving to the region of Dumfries and Galloway, aside from it being stuffed with credulous Unionists: Dumfries & Galloway, c'est moi.
    Ah indeed so. Yep. So obvious. Just needs to find a way to change the order.

I don't think I've had such a radical switch of feeling about a politician as I have with him. I really liked and rated him at one time. Can't abide the man now.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Leon said:

Thoughts with Her Majesty, they were married for 73 years, and known each other for longer, that's a testament to their love.

It's a known medical phenomenon that with old married couples, who have spent a looooong life together, that if one keels over the next follows shortly after. Hope I'm wrong, obvs
    That happened to my nan and grandad. My nan died after a long illness, but grandad was fit as a fiddle...he died in his sleep a month later.
    My grandmother died in hospital, my father went to the care home in London to tell my grandfather, before he got there to tell him, he had also died before he got there. I remember my mother getting the call. This was in the days before mobiles, so my poor Dad had to discover the news for himself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I suppose the excuse for the Duchess of Sussex to stay away is that she’s pregnant so travel wouldn’t be a good idea at the moment.

That might be the compromise they reach, I suspect. He attends, she doesn't. Pregnancy a neat (and justifiable) excuse
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

You may want to controversial but there are times to show respect

This is just such a moment
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

He is disrespecting Shagger, not the late Lord Prince.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    I am on the Labour supporters database as Liberal Democrat and get emails headed Dear Liberal Democrat Thank you for your support...

Anyway am standing for Leicestershire County Council -Bruntingthorpe Division (a lot of villages near Lutterworth). Tories got over 60% last time so slightly uphill, but when has that stopped a Liberal! Postal voter message to deliver over the weekend.
  • Options
    How do they hide Andrew at the funeral? Maybe he could crouch behind the coffin. Or give him a Mrs Doubtfire-esque disguise, and pretend he's an obscure duchess from Belgium?
  • Options
    If I make it to 99 I'll be bloody happy.

3 responses likely on Twitter:
    Heck of an innings
    He was the only Royal I liked
    He was a Racist, lets cancel him and be ANGRY at everything
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Scott_xP said:

ridaligo said:

As a Scottish Brit, I can't tell you how desperately sad I am that my country is heading toward this disaster, driven by resentment of the English - for that's what lies behind all the Nat policies despite their protestations to the contrary. I know - I was born, raised and educated in Scotland. This is not about independence - how could it be when the number one priority post-Indy will be the join the EU? It's about anti-English sentiment and I despise them for it.

Once they've got their way, and the Nats only have to be lucky once, I really fear for the future of my homeland give the lack of quality evident in the Scottish political class. The petty, manufactured differences in approach to the COVID measures tells you all you need to know about their priorities - they can't possibly do the same as the English, oh no. These people really are not qualified to govern as the decline in Education standards bears witness. And when it comes to any substantive policy on independence, they haven't got a clue. Exhibit A - the currency issue.

Indeed.

Nationalism is always driven by hatred of others.

Scot Nats by hatred of the English

English Nats (Brexiteers) by hatred of foreigners.

I have nothing but contempt for all of them
    .. and that's why your posts are so nasty. You cannot bear the thought that someone has an opinion that isn't allied to yours.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2021
    I wonder if the Northern Irish troublemakers will suddenly decide to stop being violent dickheads now?

For a few days or weeks at least until it restarts.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    RIP

My mum says “I hope he’s made a will”

Lol

Bless
  • Options
    Leon said:

How do they hide Andrew at the funeral? Maybe he could crouch behind the coffin. Or give him a Mrs Doubtfire-esque disguise, and pretend he's an obscure duchess from Belgium?

They can lure him into a side room with a blonde 16 year old "model".
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    ydoethur said:

That might be a reasonable excuse for a normal person, but Harry & Meghan can easily afford a private jet and/or a doctor on board just in case.

Their interview does look spectacularly ill-timed now, though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s another good reason to make it a private funeral in St George’s chapel with a state memorial later.

The latter should be done. Whatever his shortcomings, he was a very significant figure in national life and his passing should be marked.

As an aside, the thought occurs that the Queen has been married to him literally all her adult life. She must be feeling utterly bereft.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    What a terrible year and a bit for the Queen... Prince Andrew scandal, Harry and Megan drama, being locked away for a year due to covid and now her husband dying.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Leon said:

Thoughts with Her Majesty, they were married for 73 years, and known each other for longer, that's a testament to their love.

It's a known medical phenomenon that with old married couples, who have spent a looooong life together, that if one keels over the next follows shortly after. Hope I'm wrong, obvs
    Tends to be more men following their spouses than women - but then as men usually die younger than women that’s hardly surprising
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time
    Do you want to make Toby Young angry? Because this is how you make Toby Young angry.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That might be a reasonable excuse for a normal person, but Harry & Meghan can easily afford a private jet and/or a doctor on board just in case.

You sure they can afford it? There is a rumour they are short of money and I can’t see Charles stumping up for it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    Who can attend a funeral?
    Funeral ceremonies must have no more than 30 people attending, whether indoors or outdoors. This number does not include anyone working at the event.

The actual number of people able to attend will depend on how many people can be accommodated safely within the premises with social distancing, and where the organiser has carried out a risk assessment and taken all reasonable measures to limit the risk of transmission of COVID-19. In some cases, this may be fewer than 30 people. Keeping overall numbers as low as possible will reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Limits for funeral ceremonies held as part of communal worship that follows COVID-19 secure guidelines will be defined by the capacity of the place of worship. Guidance on places of worship is available.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time
    Do you want to make Toby Young angry? Because this is how you make Toby Young angry.
    I thought he was permanently angry? No need to *make* him so...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

That happened to my nan and grandad. My nan died after a long illness, but grandad was fit as a fiddle...he died in his sleep a month later.
    My grandmother died in hospital, my father went to the care home in London to tell my grandfather, before he got there to tell him, he had also died before he got there. I remember my mother getting the call. This was in the days before mobiles, so my poor Dad had to discover the news for himself.
    One of my relatives was in hospital dying of cancer. Her brother was at his home. She died, they tried to call him at 3am and he had died of a heart attack a few hrs earlier and was found on the floor in the bedroom. So he never knew she had died and he never knew she had died.....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

One of my relatives was in hospital dying of cancer. Her brother was at his home. She died, they tried to call him at 3am and he had died of a heart attack a few hrs earlier and was found on the floor in the bedroom. So he never knew she had died and he never knew she had died.....
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    I wonder which political operation has a database as sophisticated as we'd assume. For example, every Republican fundraiser under the sun has me on their email distribution list (I have never donated to the party, although I did appear in a Heritage Foundation video and on Fox News as a talking head): this despite me steadfastly replying to each and every one of them for about a month that they could simply go F**K themselves as betrayers of democracy. AND I regularly get outrage emails from various centre left and progressive Democratic policy lobbyists enlisting my support for or against the latest Democratic policy position.

Or maybe the calculus is that it is better not to purge databases either because the cost is not worth it, or because there is some value I don't see in sending these emails to unreceptive eyes.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time
    RIP Prince Philip. Top bloke, spoke his word, hard working and brave, perhaps liked the ladies a little bit too much but at least he had character. Excellent innings, Sir

Thoughts and condolences for the Queen. After this terrible year, this terrible blow. She's tough, but this is also tough. Concerning

However let's not overdo the maudlin sycophancy, he was 99, and he had a rich, incredible life of privilege (as well as service).

Jokes are allowed, I reckon. If only to lighten the mood
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Nicholas Witchell is terribly rambly.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Bloody hell. Planet Rock playing Nimrod
  • Options

If I make it to 99 I'll be bloody happy.

3 responses likely on Twitter:
    Heck of an innings
    He was the only Royal I liked
    He was a Racist, lets cancel him and be ANGRY at everything

#4...something something Brexit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time
    RIP Prince Philip. Top bloke, spoke his word, hard working and brave, perhaps liked the ladies a little bit too much but at least he had character. Excellent innings, Sir

Thoughts and condolences for the Queen. After this terrible year, this terrible blow. She's tough, but this is also tough. Concerning

However let's not overdo the maudlin sycophancy, he was 99, and he had a rich, incredible life of privilege (as well as service).

His greatest hits would be a fitting tribute and definitely lighten the mood.

Here’s one, for a state visit to Paris. He sees the cheering crowds, turns to the President and says, ‘Isn’t it too bad you sent your royals to the guillotine?’
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Note Jezza has taken the time to tweet about Bolivia but not about Phil yet.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    On topic

I’m being mail-spammed by the tory party too.

No I have never and do not ever want to give you my money.

Grr
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time
    I thought he was permanently angry? No need to *make* him so...
    https://youtu.be/udKE1ksKWDE?t=101
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I suppose when you've tried and failed with all the other radicalisations, right wing culture warrior is what's left. Galloway's novel is going to be an absolute stinker, pound shop orator soundbites repeated page after page.

Next up, in some TV studio somewhere or other, will surely come, "Boris Johnson and Nicola Sturgeon are two cheeks of the same arse".

And all the Scots dreamed that he'd be their saviour, he'd be their saviour, and ...

He's a pain.

I've only just realised what was his main motivation for moving to the region of Dumfries and Galloway, aside from it being stuffed with credulous Unionists: Dumfries & Galloway, c'est moi.

I don't think I've had such a radical switch of feeling about a politician as I have with him. I really liked and rated him at one time. Can't abide the man now.
    I was always a bit skeptical, maybe partly to do with a girlfriend being quite heavily involved with War On Want which ended up in very dubious circumstances (she went of with a Nicaraguan Reggae drummer through that involvement which may also have coloured my view). The US Congressional hearings were of course a triumph but not really enough to offset all the other stuff for me.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Somerset are 23-4 and Surrey have conceded 107 off 22 overs with only one chance, which they dropped.

It has not been a good day for my group 2 predictions in the Championship!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

This was always the risk. Do an interview that shakes the royal family to the core, get all the publicity you wanted, then realise - oops - the Queen and husband are in their 90s, omg now they've died. Suddenly it looks like you aided their deaths, esp the Queen, probably the most famous woman in the world, and beloved by many around the world
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Who can attend a funeral?
    Funeral ceremonies must have no more than 30 people attending, whether indoors or outdoors. This number does not include anyone working at the event.

The actual number of people able to attend will depend on how many people can be accommodated safely within the premises with social distancing, and where the organiser has carried out a risk assessment and taken all reasonable measures to limit the risk of transmission of COVID-19. In some cases, this may be fewer than 30 people. Keeping overall numbers as low as possible will reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Limits for funeral ceremonies held as part of communal worship that follows COVID-19 secure guidelines will be defined by the capacity of the place of worship. Guidance on places of worship is available.

Private Funeral for family only at Windsor sounds quite likely then.

Either 30 from April 12th, or unlimited from 21 June.

No special changes to the rules will be made or accepted I think.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Foss said:

'Bloody awful man!'
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Floater said:

Boris can do serious after all....

Of course he can. He'll do this well. It's yet another stroke of luck for him.

"He was the People's Duke of Edinburgh and that is how he will stay, how he will remain in our hearts and our memories for ever."

It was massive for Blair. It sent him stratospheric Brand Boris will know this and will not shy away.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    TimT said:

I wonder which political operation has a database as sophisticated as we'd assume. For example, every Republican fundraiser under the sun has me on their email distribution list (I have never donated to the party, although I did appear in a Heritage Foundation video and on Fox News as a talking head): this despite me steadfastly replying to each and every one of them for about a month that they could simply go F**K themselves as betrayers of democracy. AND I regularly get outrage emails from various centre left and progressive Democratic policy lobbyists enlisting my support for or against the latest Democratic policy position.

Or maybe the calculus is that it is better not to purge databases either because the cost is not worth it, or because there is some value I don't see in sending these emails to unreceptive eyes.

I appreciate that it is a bit of an alien concept for those who enjoy spending time on this board but the truth is that the vast majority of people rarely think about politics at all, ever.

These emails are an opportunity to remind the recipient that the political party exists, that it is trying to do something on their behalf and, almost incidentally, that a little help would be nice. The consequence is that when those 5 minutes come ever year or so when thinking about politics is almost inevitable you might recall that those guys were trying to help. You didn't send them any money of course but you just might vote for them. I suppose. If it fits in with the kids. etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I note he still never tweeted anything about getting a jab. Everybody who is anybody who has been jabbed does a photo / message as part of public service to encourage others.
  • Options

He La Paz on that.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Excise 'y rambly', insert 'e', job's a good 'un.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

Foss said:

'Bloody awful man!'
    If he can't keep it together for this then the BBC need someone else for the big event.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Foss said:

'Bloody awful man!'
    If he can't keep it together for this then the BBC need someone else for the big event.
    I assume it will be either Huw Edwards or they will bring David Dimbleby out of retirement.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Thats why I am watching Sky. Charles doesn't like Witchell.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729
    ydoethur said:

Meanwhile, Somerset are 23-4 and Surrey have conceded 107 off 22 overs with only one chance, which they dropped.

Is it too early to pray for rain...
  • Options
    ping said:

On topic

I’m being mail-spammed by the tory party too.

No I have never and do not ever want to give you my money.

Grr

Given that unsubbing will be quicker than writing even a short comment, I shall assume that everyone likes it :smile: .
  • Options
    Foss said:

Foss said:

'Bloody awful man!'
    Clive Myrie would be a masterstroke
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379

Foss said:

'Bloody awful man!'
    I believe the phrase was "dreadful little man".
    Which seems to have stood the test of time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time

Ah good.

So will she take a lover now, do we think?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time
    Calling out dripping hypocrisy of people using his death for political gain? Surely now is the perfect time.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time

Ah good.

Perhaps she'll be swiping on an app?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    Sad news, though 99 is a cracking age.

A good day/weekend/week to bury bad news. Don't expect we'll hear much about N. Ireland, exchanges between Sunak and Cameron, or any vaccine blips for some time. But at least we'll still get updates on county cricket scores on here.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    What would Jo Moore say, on a day such as this?
  • Options
    Foss said:

Foss said:

'Bloody awful man!'
    Cometh the hour...

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Lennon said:

ydoethur said:

Is it too early to pray for rain...
    There’s plenty here in staffs, and it seems to be spreading towards Leicester which is bad news for Hampshire as they try to bank their 24 points.

It can stay here, please...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time

Ah good.

Perhaps she'll be swiping on an app?
    I'm sure Prince Hal is au fait, a touching rapprochement with a grandson showing his granny how to use modern technology would be lovely.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

He's a pain.

I was always a bit skeptical, maybe partly to do with a girlfriend being quite heavily involved with War On Want which ended up in very dubious circumstances (she went of with a Nicaraguan Reggae drummer through that involvement which may also have coloured my view). The US Congressional hearings were of course a triumph but not really enough to offset all the other stuff for me.
    No, fair enough. You sussed him before I did, is all.

But where I have one over on you is I have never lost a woman to a drummer, reggae or otherwise. It'd take at least a rhythm guitarist to outshine me.
  • Options

A good day/weekend/week to bury bad news. Don't expect we'll hear much about N. Ireland, exchanges between Sunak and Cameron, or any vaccine blips for some time. But at least we'll still get updates on county cricket scores on here.

Sitting on a Cloud.

"Bugger - two months too short."
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Really sorry to hear about Prince Phillip. It will be a terrible blow to the Queen.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Emails are so cheap to send that it's completely pointless trying to manage the list unless the consequences are embarrassing and either cost money or results in the sending ending up in the spam folder unseen and unread.

Which is why you see firms sending opt out emails for Mother / Fathers Day prior to them sending out promotions as that's the sort of email that results in your losing customers.

Your typical spam political email will be opened enough that sending it to spam won't have any impact on the algorithms so they can keep sending regardless.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    MattW said:

Sitting on a Cloud.

"Bugger - two months too short."
    Would he have got a card from the Queen? We shall never know.
  • Options
    This is a "brave" take from journalist Jill Starley Grainger

Jill StarleyGrainger
    @WordsByJill
    Among the many reasons I don't give a toss is this repulsive #Philip quote on a visit to China in 1986 - 1 of many offensive 'jokes' the recipient was expected to laugh at: “If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes." What a cad. To quote Bey, I ain't sorry

https://twitter.com/WordsByJill/status/1380488301287763968?s=20

How long til she deletes it?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Really sorry to hear about Prince Phillip. It will be a terrible blow to the Queen.

All campaigning will be suspended for at least a few days.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Nigelb said:

Foss said:

'Bloody awful man!'
    I believe the phrase was "dreadful little man".
    Which seems to have stood the test of time.
    Didn’t we get rid of John Bercow at the last election?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

You are as bad

This is not the time

Ah good.

I would - for the kudos
  • Options

RIP Prince Philip.

He made a huge contribution to modernising British public life, and his DofE awards expanded the horizons of opportunity for hundreds of thousands of children from urban backgrounds.

Most importantly, he provided strong and stalwart support to probably our most brilliant monarch in centuries behind the scenes - sacrificing himself and his career in ways I suspect none of us will ever really know - and for that he should have the respect of the whole nation.

Incidentally, doesn’t Prince Edward now inherit the title Duke of Edinburgh? I seem to remember that was the deal reached when he was made an Earl instead of a Duke when he married.

Has to be confirmed by the Queen, of course.
This discussion has been closed.