Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How the Sunday Times made this grumpy old man (me) even grumpier – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2021 in General
imageHow the Sunday Times made this grumpy old man (me) even grumpier – politicalbetting.com

I do not think that I am generally very pedantic but there is one issue that really gets under my skin and that is the incorrect use of the term “swing”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Sturgeon resigned yet ?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    FPT:

As an aside, is Bad Al ever not asked for his view on any matter at the moment? He seems to be on literally everything.

Plugging his latest book, which the BBC were very happy to show on screen.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited March 2021
    Death penalty or just life in prison for this writer do you think Mike?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    FPT
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

In SNP and Green news as discussed earlier on

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1374003786289676293

Which is merely them formalising what was previously informal.

Where do people who hate Nicola and still want independence go now though? This feels like an error on the face of it as it will result in peoppe staying home.
    I think the point is that the Greens and SNP won't admit it until after the election but you may see it in actions with the Green party paying zero attention to constituency seats as shown by Jim Kelly complaining earlier that the Green party weren't standing.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Chatting to a friend in NY. Anyone who wants a jab can have one. He had the moderna (has had both).

Things there (NY) are "pretty open" - restaurants, museums, etc are open. Masks are v prevalent in most (but not all neighbourhoods).
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Leon said:
    Build a wall...and make them pay for it.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    Had it gone the other way, 50-50 to 56-44 it could have legitimately been described as a +/-12% increase/decrease at least: (56-50)/50 and (50-44)/50.

But going from 56-44 to 50-50 there's no defence (rounding: yes has 11% fall; no 14% rise)
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    eek said:
    In the long list of bills Indy bills published by the SNP...
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:
    What's he supposed to say, while trying to be diplomatic with an EU that is losing its mind?

If he were to say "yes the EU is having another surge but we have no problems in this country" then how do you think that would go down?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    eek said:
    They left out the bit that anyone they dont like cant vote

Maybe theyre saving that for Indyref3
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394

eek said:
    UK government source on Indy Bill: "This is a magpie standing on top of a squirrel."
  • Leon said:
    Well obviously - IF Euro pox is left to mutate then it threatens our vaccinated status. Don't worry - we will all be encouraged to go on holiday this summer and then attacked for being so stupid as to go on holiday as just because its government advice doesn't mean you should do it.

As we were last summer.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    DavidL said:
    I just liked that. And I am/was a pretty convinced remainer.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    eek said:
    Giving foreign nationals the right to decide a country’s constitution seems a tad unusual.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Agreed, Mike. Swing is a really important electoral mechanic but people don't understand it at all. I actually think it might be worth getting one of our psephologists to go through the concept again for our newer members and the wider audience of readers.
  • Actually the people responsible for the violence are the police actually. When innocent peaceful protesters swing their boot-covered foot they aren't actually expecting some police officer to be in their way. They have thick skulls these officers so won't someone think of the injuries that actually might have been sustained by these peaceful protesters?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    eek said:
    I'm tempted to look at the Scottish subsamples for the YouGov Brexit right/wrong polling.

I know it would only be a subsample, but if you look at averages over time it should be okay, and would still pick up some changes.

Before I waste my time digging through dozens of data tables, does anyone know if it's been done already?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742

eek said:
    UK government source on Indy Bill: "This is a magpie standing on top of a squirrel."
    Another coded message from a Russian mole
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:
    Yet Israel is removing travel restrictions, and ending lockdown, and yet its case numbers (and positivity rate) continue to fall.

I think it's really easy to miss how much mass vaccinations disrupt the spread of the virus, not just the severity of cases.
    Sadly we'll be much further from herd immunity than them given we've concentrated vaccination in the least social demographics. 52% coverage has very little benefit yet to the 18-35 year olds most likely to catch and spread. All the Israeli anti-vaxxers have helped them to get to lower ages much quicker and so hit the herd threshold
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    I hate to say anything positive about the EU and vaccines, but the initial complaint by the Eastern European countries was that the vaccine distribution strategy missed the fact that some countries were "older" than others. Therefore countries with lots of young people would get as many as people with those with very few, even though those countries were going to be much worse hit in terms of hospitalisations and deaths.

Isn't this just a reshuffling based on age distributions, where Austria simply isn't as bad off as most of the former communist countries?
    Brom said:

Safe seat, 24 years old. She could still be making Labour unelectable in 40 years time.
    Either that or she'll do a Pidcock.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,757
    Mike is of course completely correct but the real question is has this pendulum stopped swinging yet? Scotland would embarrass the average banana republic these days with a patent liar as FM who has used public funds in opposing a Judicial Review against external counsel's very blunt advice and the criminal justice system to attack her predecessor as well as anyone who tried to stand up for him and is being backed to the hilt by a civil service that has lost any scintilla of impartiality. The decision in the Craig Murray case, if confirmed, will be a very, very sad day for Scottish justice.

Surely some Scots are starting to wonder if a country run by this mob is a place they really want to live. They must also be wondering if joining those arrogant, blundering buffoons in the EU is such a smart idea, especially given we were not treated as badly as most of the small countries when the UK was a largish member of the gang.

We shall see but for the first time for a while I am hopeful.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    TOPPING said:

Chatting to a friend in NY. Anyone who wants a jab can have one. He had the moderna (has had both).

Things there (NY) are "pretty open" - restaurants, museums, etc are open. Masks are v prevalent in most (but not all neighbourhoods).

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1374010330024665092?s=20
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    eek said:
    The SNP can what they want, legally and constitutionally the future of the Union is reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998 so what the SNP thinks is irrelevant
    DavidL said:

Mike is of course completely correct but the real question is has this pendulum stopped swinging yet? Scotland would embarrass the average banana republic these days with a patent liar as FM who has used public funds in opposing a Judicial Review against external counsel's very blunt advice and the criminal justice system to attack her predecessor as well as anyone who tried to stand up for him and is being backed to the hilt by a civil service that has lost any scintilla of impartiality. The decision in the Craig Murray case, if confirmed, will be a very, very sad day for Scottish justice.

Surely some Scots are starting to wonder if a country run by this mob is a place they really want to live. They must also be wondering if joining those arrogant, blundering buffoons in the EU is such a smart idea, especially given we were not treated as badly as most of the small countries when the UK was a largish member of the gang.

I see your positive case for the Union thing is going well.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Is the Scottish Green Party still playing the role of Reek to the SNP's Ramsy Bolton?
    edited March 2021

DavidL said:

It is a positive case for the Union. If we are to retain the rule of law and restore accountability we are going to need external help from the Union, from the Supreme Court and from a Parliament that is not cowed into silence by Crown Office.

Is the Scottish Green Party still playing the role of Reek to the SNP's Ramsy Bolton?

Yes but without the essential dignity and self respect that analogy implies.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Latest vaccine plan for Spain - complete over 80s by end April. 70+ to begin April and continue till end of July. Also youngers with serious health issues. AZN to continue only for under 55s. Not expected to achieve 70% of population jabbed before the end of the summer. Could be subject to further delays depending on vaccine deliveries and where in Spain you live. No specific information yet for the bulk of the healthy population under 70 years of age. Meanwhile in some parts cases are edging up and Germans are coming for Easter!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Actually the people responsible for the violence are the police actually. When innocent peaceful protesters swing their boot-covered foot they aren't actually expecting some police officer to be in their way. They have thick skulls these officers so won't someone think of the injuries that actually might have been sustained by these peaceful protesters?
    It has to apply to everyone protesting, whether we agree with them or not.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Interesting comment on the pattern we see in jabs:

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1374011854759026690?s=20
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It is a positive case for the Union. If we are to retain the rule of law and restore accountability we are going to need external help from the Union, from the Supreme Court and from a Parliament that is not cowed into silence by Crown Office.
    So what you're saying is that the SNP "Mob" is corrupt and so we need to bring in Tories from Westminster to restore some basics of integrity, the rule of law and high standards in public office.

You do know how funny that sounds to anyone who isn't a Scottish Tory don't you? The campaign against Nippie on corruption grounds would have some credibility if it wasn't your party bringing it. Have already heard interviews with Douglas Ross where this screaming hypocrisy is pointed out and his "no no no" denials don't cut it.

It isn't that what the SNP are doing is Good. Its that what the Tories in Westminster are doing is Worse.
    rcs1000 said:

I hate to say anything positive about the EU and vaccines, but the initial complaint by the Eastern European countries was that the vaccine distribution strategy missed the fact that some countries were "older" than others. Therefore countries with lots of young people would get as many as people with those with very few, even though those countries were going to be much worse hit in terms of hospitalisations and deaths.

Isn't this just a reshuffling based on age distributions, where Austria simply isn't as bad off as most of the former communist countries?
    It's just weird how these things work out, isn't it Robert?
    TOPPING said:

Based on money?
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Or if you are to retain the rule of law then you need proper accountability, which means independence.

For as long as the Scottish government has a blank cheque to blame London for any problems you have a government with power but no accountability. Independence will pull back the curtain and reveal the truth behind the Wizard of Oz.
    I'm sure things will have got back to normal in the intervening 7 weeks

https://twitter.com/GavNewlandsSNP/status/1374001783656361984?s=20
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Interesting. The news item says they are going to "hold steady" at 50% restaurant capacity and 50 people outdoors.
    Brom said:

Safe seat, 24 years old. She could still be making Labour unelectable in 40 years time.
    I like her personally, but her politics are never going to get anywhere.
    Andy_JS said:

TOPPING said:

Based on money?
    Neighbourhoods? My friend gave the example of a "Russian" neighbourhood.
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Interesting. The news item says they are going to "hold steady" at 50% restaurant capacity and 50 people outdoors.
    Yes. Compared to our lockdown of EVERYTHING they have the good life, even with this

I am so fucking bored of lockdowning
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Splendid birthday thread for William Shatner, but not as we know him...

https://twitter.com/i_am_mill_i_am/status/1373930160613949447
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

HYUFD said:

eek said:
    The SNP can what they want, legally and constitutionally the future of the Union is reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998 so what the SNP thinks is irrelevant
    "so what the people of Scotland think is irrelevant".

That was a party election broadcast on behalf of the Scottish Conservative Party.
    What the people of Scotland thought in 2014 was they did not want independence in a once in a generation vote, this Tory government will ensure no more appeasement of the SNP and a generation means exactly that!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    edited March 2021
    Cyclefree said:

I am in the curious position of disliking Brexit, as implemented by this government. But at the same time being very glad that I am not living in the EU given the petulant and dangerous way the EU and some of its governments are behaving over Covid and vaccines.

Not sure what group that puts me into.

A pragmatic non-ideological group.

"Tiny minority" is what it normally goes by these days.
  • On topic. I crunch numbers for a living, and I despair at the handling of statistics and data in the media.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

So what you're saying is that the SNP "Mob" is corrupt and so we need to bring in Tories from Westminster to restore some basics of integrity, the rule of law and high standards in public office.

You do know how funny that sounds to anyone who isn't a Scottish Tory don't you? The campaign against Nippie on corruption grounds would have some credibility if it wasn't your party bringing it. Have already heard interviews with Douglas Ross where this screaming hypocrisy is pointed out and his "no no no" denials don't cut it.

It isn't that what the SNP are doing is Good. Its that what the Tories in Westminster are doing is Worse.
    The Supreme Court aren't Tories. Quite the reverse, judging by their actions during 2019.

Which is sort of the point, isn't it? That their approximate Scottish counterparts seem not have the independence (lol) demonstrated so ably by Baroness Hale et al that time Johnson tried to suspend Parliament?
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    eek said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

eek said:

In SNP and Green news as discussed earlier on

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1374003786289676293

Which is merely them formalising what was previously informal.

Where do people who hate Nicola and still want independence go now though? This feels like an error on the face of it as it will result in peoppe staying home.
    I think the point is that the Greens and SNP won't admit it until after the election but you may see it in actions with the Green party paying zero attention to constituency seats as shown by Jim Kelly complaining earlier that the Green party weren't standing.
    AFAIK, the SGP are standing in ten constituencies compared with three in 2016. I’ve always assumed that the only reason was to get the free mail shot to boost their profile.
    rcs1000 said:

I think that's a fair bit of logic and reasoning. The issue here is that the EU isn't using logic and reasoning right now, it seems to be acting on instinct and Austria is being a "problem" nation just as we were and Greece was before that. It's plausible that Austria has been singled out because it is against the export ban mechanism. On the specific virus situation in Austria, it looks to me as if it's at the beginning of the exponential growth curve for cases and we know that deaths follow just a couple of weeks later where vaccination rates are low. Saying they don't specifically need extra doses isn't fair but maybe they have a lesser need than Czechia or somewhere like that.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Leon said:
    It's good politicking from Johnson.

IF we have a third wave it will be Johnny Foreigners fault for any excess mortality rates. If we don't get a third wave it will be down to Boris' vaccination procurement (and I quote LauraK.) "genius".
    felix said:

Latest vaccine plan for Spain - complete over 80s by end April. 70+ to begin April and continue till end of July. Also youngers with serious health issues. AZN to continue only for under 55s. Not expected to achieve 70% of population jabbed before the end of the summer. Could be subject to further delays depending on vaccine deliveries and where in Spain you live. No specific information yet for the bulk of the healthy population under 70 years of age. Meanwhile in some parts cases are edging up and Germans are coming for Easter!

That seems mightily slow - over 80s by end of April?!
    felix said:

• EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

On topic. I crunch numbers for a living, and I despair at the handling of statistics and data in the media.

Silver lining: if they did it well, it might mean it was easy for liberal artsy types to get right. And your employability would suffer as a consequence.

That's what I tell myself, anyway.
    edited March 2021

On topic. I crunch numbers for a living, and I despair at the handling of statistics and data in the media.

You ought to be prime minister.

Leon said:
    It's good politicking from Johnson.

IF we have a third wave it will be Johnny Foreigners fault for any excess mortality rates. If we don't get a third wave it will be down to Boris' vaccination procurement (and I quote LauraK.) "genius".
    That's true.
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Yes. Compared to our lockdown of EVERYTHING they have the good life, even with this

We have another three months lockdown as of yesterday. Of course things will change in the interim but to sit in a pub will be two months away.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I want the UK civil service to reimpose impartiality and a sense of public service to our civil service.
    I want the Supreme Court to make it clear that we don't lock up journalists in this country because we don't like what they say.
    I want Crown Office to be restored to an independent body that prosecutes in the public interest, not Nicola's interests.
    I want to be in a country where blatant lying by the FM is not just a matter for party loyalty.

I am not an unqualified fan of the Tory government. I think the Crime bill, for example, is seriously deficient in a variety of ways. Williamson is presumably only kept in office to make Swinny feel less bad about himself and his performance, no easy task. But I do not accept that what is going on in Scotland right now is even close to Westminster. We have gone down the rabbit hole, we really have.
    RobD said:
    Don't you mean UNIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTY....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,601
    Endillion said:

Silver lining: if they did it well, it might mean it was easy for liberal artsy types to get right. And your employability would suffer as a consequence.

That's what I tell myself, anyway.
    That is exactly what I tell myself about coding....
    Boris 'will offer to SHARE millions of doses of AstraZeneca's jab made at Dutch factory with the EU'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9387989/Boris-Johnson-call-EU-leaders-defuse-threats-blocking-Covid-vaccines.html
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No. The SNP have suborned the civil service and much else. And they have a sense of entitlement and ownership which goes far beyond anything seen elsewhere. Sorry you can't see that. Those of us who are long-term residents here have watched the process with growing dismay over the years. Nationalism poisons everything.

I should say - in parenthesis - how remarkable it is how Unionist Scots, ie, those who value their British identities, are routinely ignored and rubbished. Their feelings and loyalties count for nothing, have no value, apparently.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Leon said:
    Could be a reference to those idiots booking holidays to hard-hit EU countries.
    "A senior consultant accused of sexually assaulting a nurse by commenting on her “lovely biscuits” is suing one of Britain’s largest private healthcare chains for £2.7 million.

Simon Payne was suspended and subsequently banned from working at Spire Healthcare over the alleged incident in which he is said to have made the comments as the anaesthetic practitioner lifted a box of biscuits from a shelf."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/surgeon-sues-for-2-7m-over-lovely-biscuits-row-nc8xk2dx6
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    Nigelb said:

And his cover of Mr Tambourine Man. He really made the song his own -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Urquhart, if the offer is too generous it will look like weakness.
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

We have another three months lockdown as of yesterday. Of course things will change in the interim but to sit in a pub will be two months away.
    Hence my cry of despair at the mere tiny possibility that lockdown might be extended due to a third wave (as Boris kinda vaguely hinted sorta).

I am done. I can't do any more of this. I will grind out the rest of Lockdown 3 but if it we get a 10th wave and they want lockdowns 4-6 then fuck it. I'd rather we took the risk as a society, let us make our own choices. This is not life. It is existence. And a drab existence at that, despite the spring sunshine

I am worn out. It is oddly exhausting, doing nothing, and going nowhere
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,601
    Cyclefree said:

I am in the curious position of disliking Brexit, as implemented by this government. But at the same time being very glad that I am not living in the EU given the petulant and dangerous way the EU and some of its governments are behaving over Covid and vaccines.

I think there are alot more pragmatic remainers out there than the ideological types.

I voted remain, but have no love whatsoever for the EU clown show - and never have.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

Cyclefree said:

A pragmatic non-ideological group.

"Tiny minority" is what it normally goes by these days.
    A rounding error in the polling surveys.
    felix said:

So, in France AZN is only for the over 55s, while in Spain, it's only for the under 55s.

Interesting choices...

• Endillion said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The Supreme Court aren't Tories. Quite the reverse, judging by their actions during 2019.

Which is sort of the point, isn't it? That their approximate Scottish counterparts seem not have the independence (lol) demonstrated so ably by Baroness Hale et al that time Johnson tried to suspend Parliament?
    Oh I get that. This isn't just political murk, there is something very odd going on in the workings of the Scottish government well away from the politicians. I just think that allegations of corruption from the Tories who want our votes to stop it is hilarious.
    DavidL said:

It's a truth that should be universally acknowledged that folk who still touch themselves inappropriately over the Con-LD coalition and made all sorts of accommodations of the Con-DUP agreemen aren't very happy at the prospect of parties they don't like doing it. Hypocrisy I think it's called...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Cyclefree said:

No idea, but I'm there with you.

felix said:

It's because:

(a) It's Pfizer only (for the over 55s)
    and
    (b) They're reserving second doses
    and
    (c) They're following the recommended three week gap between vaccinations

It would, of course, be much smarter to get as many jabs of whatever type into peoples' arms as quickly as possible, and you can fill in second doses later when supply improves.
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

So, in France AZN is only for the over 55s, while in Spain, it's only for the under 55s.

Interesting choices...

After the US trial data there is absolutely no way these countries can continue to block use for over 65s. It was completely ridiculous from the start and now it's actively harmful and a complete misapplication of a very scarce resource.
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

And his cover of Mr Tambourine Man. He really made the song his own -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc
    I preferred his cover of Common People. It was....memorable.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1374018128955518988

Just China left as the EU's bestie now then
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

It's because:

and
    and

It would, of course, be much smarter to get as many jabs of whatever type into peoples' arms as quickly as possible, and you can fill in second doses later when supply improves.
    Spain is doing OK tho. Cases and deaths well down (similar to UK levels). There are hints of a recent uptick, but only hints

I wonder why they have fared better than France Germany et al. Better weather? But then Italy is also a bit crocked, and has a similar climate
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I want the UK civil service to reimpose impartiality and a sense of public service to our civil service.
    I want the Supreme Court to make it clear that we don't lock up journalists in this country because we don't like what they say.
    I want Crown Office to be restored to an independent body that prosecutes in the public interest, not Nicola's interests.
    I want to be in a country where blatant lying by the FM is not just a matter for party loyalty.

I am not an unqualified fan of the Tory government. I think the Crime bill, for example, is seriously deficient in a variety of ways. Williamson is presumably only kept in office to make Swinny feel less bad about himself and his performance, no easy task. But I do not accept that what is going on in Scotland right now is even close to Westminster. We have gone down the rabbit hole, we really have.
    I agree with your desire for an impartial machinery of government and for the rule of law. You MUST though recognise that such calls cannot with any credibility come from your party which actively acts to pervert the same institutions in England so that they operate in their own interests. When Scottish ministers are found to have acted illegally and aren't just accused of it, when Scottish senior law officers seek to bring the legal system into disrepute instead of just acting dubiously then Scotland will be on a par with England. You can't credibly call it the other way - its your partisan blinkers.

The solution to SNP corruption is not to vote for Tory corruption. I'm about to take delivery of bagfuls of LibDem leaflets to deliver so I am hardly a fanboi of the SNP. But I have to say what I see and what I see more is Tory hypocricy.

DavidL said:

It's a truth that should be universally acknowledged that folk who still touch themselves inappropriately over the Con-LD coalition and made all sorts of accommodations of the Con-DUP agreemen aren't very happy at the prospect of parties they don't like doing it. Hypocrisy I think it's called...
    Still got just under 30 minutes to call out Nicola's dishonesty Divvie, since we are talking self respect and all.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Its great to see remainers finally seeing the EU for what it is.

Only about decade after the average welder or hairdresser in the North of England, but there we are.
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

You know, I'm going to say something very nice about California. After having been bloody useless early in the pandemic, they now have a very sensible set of tiers:

- stay at home order
    - red tier
    - orange tier
    - yellow tier
    - green tier

Essentially, "Stay at home" is full lockdown, "Red tier" is outdoor dining only, "Orange tier" is strict capacity limits on restaraunts, gyms and cinemas, "Yellow" is loose capacity limits, and "Green" is good to go.

They (now) have clearly defined in and out conditions for each tier, and the State is broken up by county.

I can therefore be reasonably confident that California will be exiting Red tier either this weekend or next, and will move to Yellow.

It's very nicely done.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I agree with your desire for an impartial machinery of government and for the rule of law. You MUST though recognise that such calls cannot with any credibility come from your party which actively acts to pervert the same institutions in England so that they operate in their own interests. When Scottish ministers are found to have acted illegally and aren't just accused of it, when Scottish senior law officers seek to bring the legal system into disrepute instead of just acting dubiously then Scotland will be on a par with England. You can't credibly call it the other way - its your partisan blinkers.

The solution to SNP corruption is not to vote for Tory corruption. I'm about to take delivery of bagfuls of LibDem leaflets to deliver so I am hardly a fanboi of the SNP. But I have to say what I see and what I see more is Tory hypocricy.
    When Boris Johnson conspires for several years to get David Cameron jailed for a decade for rape, and when Boris Johnson recruits the entire Tory party, the English legal system, and the English civil service to assist him in this, and the subsequent cover-up, and when Boris Johnson simply ignores a Westminster inquiry set up to uncover the truth which SAYS he lied, then I will agree England is down there in the gutter with Scotland
    edited March 2021
    Let's hope reason prevails. (We sort of know it won't, but we can hope anyway).
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No. The SNP have suborned the civil service and much else. And they have a sense of entitlement and ownership which goes far beyond anything seen elsewhere. Sorry you can't see that. Those of us who are long-term residents here have watched the process with growing dismay over the years. Nationalism poisons everything.

I should say - in parenthesis - how remarkable it is how Unionist Scots, ie, those who value their British identities, are routinely ignored and rubbished. Their feelings and loyalties count for nothing, have no value, apparently.
    I CAN see that. Unalloyed power corrupts regardless of the party and the SNP are neck deep in it. My point is that however bad things are in Scotland it is worse in England. In Scotland ministers stand accused of breaking the ministerial code and Must resign. In England ministers are convicted of breaking the ministerial code and stay in their jobs. As a Christian (albeit somewhat lapsed these days) the line about splinters and planks is prescient - Tories attacking the SNP for corruption really need to find a mirror.
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

It's because:

and
    and

Spain is doing OK tho. Cases and deaths well down (similar to UK levels). There are hints of a recent uptick, but only hints

I wonder why they have fared better than France Germany et al. Better weather? But then Italy is also a bit crocked, and has a similar climate
    It's because the disease has a natural cycle, as people first lock themselves down and then as cases fall, they then relax. Spain (and Portugal) had really nasty times in the aftermath of Christmas, and people got really fearful.

This discussion has been closed.