Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How the Sunday Times made this grumpy old man (me) even grumpier – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

What with? Salt water? Or using everybodies elses supply?
    Well

One barrier is hostility to the Astrazeneca vaccine with a poll showing that 55 per cent of Germans think it unsafe.

Two million Astrazeneca jabs are in a stockpile that has grown since the decision to suspend its use because of a safety scare last week.

But this makes me laugh*

Today the [German] government is expected to require that travellers quarantine and take coronavirus tests as millions of Germans contemplate Easter holidays in resorts such as Mallorca, where 24 scheduled flights arrived from German cities yesterday and Lufthansa plans to lay on more for the holiday.

*Weep for humanity
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,425
    maaarsh said:

Test positivity rate today is below the original estimate for false positives on LFD. 5.3k positives from 1.9m tests. It was silly a few weeks ago, now it's utterly daft.

On the England data you can see LFD 'cases' making up an ever greater share of those being 'found', and an increasingly small proportion are ever verified by a PCR test.

Yet it's still resulting in entire year groups of schools missing a week or two.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Andy_JS said:

In Australia, what we would describe as a 2% swing is called a 4% swing. Interesting fact.

The Australians are a backward people when it comes to number, as you note they incorrectly report swing but much much worse, they put the wickets lost before the total team runs.

2/156 is against the laws of God and nature, it should be 156/2.
    From memory it is 2-156 they write isn't it?

2 wickets lost with no runs scored can be read from either source its 2-0 or 0/2, no confusion except for how we already lost two wickets in the first over.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    edited March 2021

Don't worry Mike, on Saturday night I tweeted the same thing chastising the Sunday Times for their misreporting of swing.

So it isn't a grumpy old man thing it is also a grump young man thing as well because obviously 42 means I've got middle age to look forward to.

Maybe it's just a Quasi-Everton Fan thing?
    Sunil you profess to love the English language yet you don't know what the word quasi means.

(Yes I am aware the word quasi is Latin but that's the joy of the English language, it isn't one language, but several languages masquerading as one language.)
    You're the one who calls the Exhaustive Ballot "Quasi-AV" (see Sunday's thread!). So calling the EB "Quasi-AV" is a bit like calling TSE a "Quasi-Everton Fan"!

Since you're hiking up Mount Wrongness I'll leave you to it.
    Search your feelings, my young Padawan.

Calling the EB "Quasi-AV" is a bit like calling TSE a "Quasi-Everton Fan"!

(Hint: Anfield is only 1 mile from Goodison!)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Don't worry Mike, on Saturday night I tweeted the same thing chastising the Sunday Times for their misreporting of swing.

So it isn't a grumpy old man thing it is also a grump young man thing as well because obviously 42 means I've got middle age to look forward to.

Sunil you profess to love the English language yet you don't know what the word quasi means.

(Yes I am aware the word quasi is Latin but that's the joy of the English language, it isn't one language, but several languages masquerading as one language.)
    You're the one who calls the Exhaustive Ballot "Quasi-AV" (see Sunday's thread!). So calling the EB "Quasi-AV" is a bit like calling TSE a "Quasi-Everton Fan"!

Yes, it's a bit like Quasi Kwarteng - I'm a big fan, but I keep wondering when the Real Kwarteng is going to put in an appearance.
    You think he is Quasi Ineffective?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

While the 17 is in part a weekend effect, I wonder how many of the 17 are historic being reported now?

Could date of deaths be even lower?

Nope - England hospital deaths reported today was 48, of which 10 were seriously delayed(i.e. Feb or earlier). The Pattern of deaths reporting is utterly bizarre though.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mike is of course completely correct but the real question is has this pendulum stopped swinging yet? Scotland would embarrass the average banana republic these days with a patent liar as FM who has used public funds in opposing a Judicial Review against external counsel's very blunt advice and the criminal justice system to attack her predecessor as well as anyone who tried to stand up for him and is being backed to the hilt by a civil service that has lost any scintilla of impartiality. The decision in the Craig Murray case, if confirmed, will be a very, very sad day for Scottish justice.

Surely some Scots are starting to wonder if a country run by this mob is a place they really want to live. They must also be wondering if joining those arrogant, blundering buffoons in the EU is such a smart idea, especially given we were not treated as badly as most of the small countries when the UK was a largish member of the gang.

We shall see but for the first time for a while I am hopeful.

I see your positive case for the Union thing is going well.
    It is a positive case for the Union. If we are to retain the rule of law and restore accountability we are going to need external help from the Union, from the Supreme Court and from a Parliament that is not cowed into silence by Crown Office.
    So what you're saying is that the SNP "Mob" is corrupt and so we need to bring in Tories from Westminster to restore some basics of integrity, the rule of law and high standards in public office.

You do know how funny that sounds to anyone who isn't a Scottish Tory don't you? The campaign against Nippie on corruption grounds would have some credibility if it wasn't your party bringing it. Have already heard interviews with Douglas Ross where this screaming hypocrisy is pointed out and his "no no no" denials don't cut it.

It isn't that what the SNP are doing is Good. Its that what the Tories in Westminster are doing is Worse.
    I want the UK civil service to reimpose impartiality and a sense of public service to our civil service.
    I want the Supreme Court to make it clear that we don't lock up journalists in this country because we don't like what they say.
    I want Crown Office to be restored to an independent body that prosecutes in the public interest, not Nicola's interests.
    I want to be in a country where blatant lying by the FM is not just a matter for party loyalty.

I am not an unqualified fan of the Tory government. I think the Crime bill, for example, is seriously deficient in a variety of ways. Williamson is presumably only kept in office to make Swinny feel less bad about himself and his performance, no easy task. But I do not accept that what is going on in Scotland right now is even close to Westminster. We have gone down the rabbit hole, we really have.
    I agree with your desire for an impartial machinery of government and for the rule of law. You MUST though recognise that such calls cannot with any credibility come from your party which actively acts to pervert the same institutions in England so that they operate in their own interests. When Scottish ministers are found to have acted illegally and aren't just accused of it, when Scottish senior law officers seek to bring the legal system into disrepute instead of just acting dubiously then Scotland will be on a par with England. You can't credibly call it the other way - its your partisan blinkers.

The solution to SNP corruption is not to vote for Tory corruption. I'm about to take delivery of bagfuls of LibDem leaflets to deliver so I am hardly a fanboi of the SNP. But I have to say what I see and what I see more is Tory hypocricy.
    When Boris Johnson conspires for several years to get David Cameron jailed for a decade for rape, and when Boris Johnson recruits the entire Tory party, the English legal system, and the English civil service to assist him in this, and the subsequent cover-up, and when Boris Johnson simply ignores a Westminster inquiry set up to uncover the truth which SAYS he lied, then I will agree England is down there in the gutter with Scotland
    Lol - I don't believe the Salmond conspiracy for a second. And here's the truth - neither do all the Tories who have called him an egotistical liar for decades who suddenly find Him to be the Truth and the Light. There is a burning bush fire in the workings of the Scottish government. Its because of incompetence not this vast conspiracy where a stack of women chose to lie and perjure and risk jail because of narrow calculations to boost one faction of the SNP over another.
    I am not a Tory, but I am on the right, so no doubt you will dismiss my opinion

But I do not understand how anyone could look "objectively" at this case and not see a reeking conspiracy. It's close to the point where even Nats admit it, but then they say, Oh well Boris lies too, and she's our wee Nippy, and INDY and FREEDOM so everything else can be ignored

It's a shite state of affairs, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference
    Which conspiracy are you referring to? You suggest one - the objective - to fabricate a case against Alex Salmond and have him jailed to stop any resurgence of his faction. All of the other conspiracies - that Nippy has a selective memory, that the police were leaned on, that the Crown Office ignored the law and prosecution guidelines - are simply strategies pursued towards reaching the objective.

I do not believe there was a conspiracy to fabricate lies against Salmond to have him jailed for non-existent crimes. Without this objective core the rest of the tactical conspiracies involving the polis and crown office also fall apart.

I absolutely believe there has been collusion, both of silence within the SNP to conveniently forget who said what where, and with the increasingly botched HR investigation against Salmond as FM. I further believe that realisation of the chaos forced yet more tactical conspiracies to try and cover up what had happened. Lies tend to multiply and deepen. They did all that I am sure. They did not frame Salmond.

What we are left with is a botched investigation of a case brought by women who made claims against Salmond not believed by the Jury. Malfeasance and political cover-up. To which I hear Tory claims that the suitable response is to vote Tory and howl with laughter.
    I believe you are wrong in your fundamental belief concerning the conspiracy. It may have been one that simply took advantage of the existence of the complaints but I do believe from what I have seen of the statements and the actions of the Scottish authorities that there was an attempt to prevent him obtaining a fair trial and hearing in various courts and enquiries by the withholding or the delay of submission of evidence. Everything else has stemmed from that.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Splendid birthday thread for William Shatner, but not as we know him...

https://twitter.com/i_am_mill_i_am/status/1373930160613949447

And his cover of Mr Tambourine Man. He really made the song his own -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc
    My chosen verb would be "murdered".

"This song is dying...
    "Let it die !!".

(with apologies to the Klingons)
    He is an acquired taste, I'll grant you that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Taken with the Israeli data, this suggests to me that once you hit over 30-40% of the population jabbed (esp the vulnerable) and you keep going up, then the disease drops away remarkably fast

Which only leaves horrible variants to worry about

Which means we need to keep the borders sealed and quarantine anyone who comes back from overseas.
    Yes, all borders should be sealed until late May, at the earliest

This also has to apply to Ireland, as their borders are basically open. So a suspension of the CTA
    What about people coming from the US who are fully vaccinated? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,085
    edited March 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taken with the Israeli data, this suggests to me that once you hit over 30-40% of the population jabbed (esp the vulnerable) and you keep going up, then the disease drops away remarkably fast

Which means we need to keep the borders sealed and quarantine anyone who comes back from overseas.

This also has to apply to Ireland, as their borders are basically open. So a suspension of the CTA
    What about people coming from the US who are fully vaccinated? Asking for a friend.
    If you can prove you are three weeks past full vaccination, fair enough. Everyone else, quarantine

This is, incidentally, another reason why vax passports are inevitable. It is the only way to get the travel industry into recovery. Yes it is unfair on the unvaxxed, but plagues aren't fair, and deepening recessions are shit for everyone
  • Options
    Leon said:

And also preparing to let Germans fly to Spain for Easter hols. Nuts
    They're exporting their cases to Spain, because they're nice like that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Supply and reticence are the things slowing most of Europe down. I dont doubt several can go very very fast once they have lots of a vaccine they'll actually encourage people to use. Only thing keeping their targets possible.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

17 deaths wow. 64 last Monday.

Huge drop. We are the 2nd Israel
    And did those feet in ancient time...
    Not that bloody dirge which is also an obvious QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Latest vaccine plan for Spain - complete over 80s by end April. 70+ to begin April and continue till end of July. Also youngers with serious health issues. AZN to continue only for under 55s. Not expected to achieve 70% of population jabbed before the end of the summer. Could be subject to further delays depending on vaccine deliveries and where in Spain you live. No specific information yet for the bulk of the healthy population under 70 years of age. Meanwhile in some parts cases are edging up and Germans are coming for Easter!

That seems mightily slow - over 80s by end of April?!
    It's because:

(a) It's Pfizer only (for the over 55s)
    and
    (b) They're reserving second doses
    and
    (c) They're following the recommended three week gap between vaccinations

It would, of course, be much smarter to get as many jabs of whatever type into peoples' arms as quickly as possible, and you can fill in second doses later when supply improves.
    Spain is doing OK tho. Cases and deaths well down (similar to UK levels). There are hints of a recent uptick, but only hints

I wonder why they have fared better than France Germany et al. Better weather? But then Italy is also a bit crocked, and has a similar climate
    It's because the disease has a natural cycle, as people first lock themselves down and then as cases fall, they then relax. Spain (and Portugal) had really nasty times in the aftermath of Christmas, and people got really fearful.

I'd hoped Germany had learnt their lesson.

2nd wave was 6x as big as first wave re: deaths.
  • Options

While the 17 is in part a weekend effect, I wonder how many of the 17 are historic being reported now?

Could date of deaths be even lower?

Well look at this:
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

We're following a straight line down, which if extrapolated, sees us get to zero deaths by date of death by the end of March.
    Now I'm not saying that will happen. But I've been waiting for the line to curve up for about two months now. It started to do so, then stopped again. It's very unusual to see a decrease in a straight line like that.

Realistically, we're not going to hit zero, surely? The way we measure such things means we'll always get a trickle. But I'd expect 7-day average by date of death to be down to below sub-20 by the end of March.

OTOH, NHS England reported 48 deaths today - so there's a bit of jiggery-pokery with the figures going on.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1374018128955518988

Just China left as the EU's bestie now then

PB's anti flag brigade to weigh in any minute.
    Only if its a Union Jack it seems for some strange reason......
    Or St George. Or the "CANZUK shield". These are the unsavouries.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

In Australia, what we would describe as a 2% swing is called a 4% swing. Interesting fact.

The Australians are a backward people when it comes to numbers, as you note they incorrectly report swing but much much worse, they put the wickets lost before the total team runs.

Especially since often when England are touring, it's hard to tell which number is which.

Anyway, at least they don't commit the ultimate atrocity of writing dates as MM/DD/YY. How hard is it to appreciate that it's in order of how often the numbers change?
    Actually this is something we get wrong, because that's not how numbers work though. You increment numbers on the right first, not the left.

MM/DD actually makes much more sense than DD/MM, but it should be YY/MM/DD.

DD/MM/YY HH:MM:SS is completely illogical - and writing a journal (or even saving files) month before day makes much more sense.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

The Australians are a backward people when it comes to numbers, as you note they incorrectly report swing but much much worse, they put the wickets lost before the total team runs.

Especially since often when England are touring, it's hard to tell which number is which.

Anyway, at least they don't commit the ultimate atrocity of writing dates as MM/DD/YY. How hard is it to appreciate that it's in order of how often the numbers change?
    Actually this is something we get wrong, because that's not how numbers work though. You increment numbers on the right first, not the left.

DD/MM/YY HH:MM:SS is completely illogical - and writing a journal (or even saving files) month before day makes much more sense.
    You don't save your files with the format SS:MM:HH DD/MM/YY?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    kle4 said:

Supply and reticence are the things slowing most of Europe down. I dont doubt several can go very very fast once they have lots of a vaccine they'll actually encourage people to use. Only thing keeping their targets possible.
    The Germans already have millions of unused doses sitting in storage.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Well quite - it should by YYMMDD, but it isn't.
    YYMMDD makes sense. DDMMYY makes sense, albeit in a slightly comic sans way. But putting DD in the middle makes no sense in any world.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,239
    So when they said 4.00 they meant......?
  • Options

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Blocked and reported.
  • Options

Yes, it's a bit like Quasi Kwarteng - I'm a big fan, but I keep wondering when the Real Kwarteng is going to put in an appearance.
    You think he is Quasi Ineffective?
    Quasimod(e)o was a Depeche Mode tribute act.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If you can prove that you've been fully vaccinated then you can be let back in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

And also preparing to let Germans fly to Spain for Easter hols. Nuts
    They're exporting their cases to Spain, because they're nice like that.
    Spain can't have English tourists, but it can have our variants.....via Germans.
  • Options

Bleach?
    Broth?
  • Options
    James Hamilton's Wiki page has been edited again
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So when they said 4.00 they meant......?

How long does it take to shred everything in Nicola's office before she leaves it?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Even with the SA variant being resistant?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Death rate decoupled from the infection rate. Vaccines, they work.

Not according to some world leaders....
    Actually, on the basis that deaths lag positive tests by about three weeks, we can't yet say they've decoupled - three weeks ago the positive tests rate was still dropping like a stone.
    I'm still optimistic that we will see this decoupling, mind. But I don't think we can yet say we are seeing it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

YYMMDD makes sense. DDMMYY makes sense, albeit in a slightly comic sans way. But putting DD in the middle makes no sense in any world.
    I used to think that but since year is normally omitted then to be fair to them, MM/DD makes sense, with YY as a suffix where required. If I was dictator for a day I'd switch things to YY/MM/DD though.

If writing a journal (or saving files) then it makes it much easier to be:

Dec 25
    Dec 26
    Dec 27
    Dec 28
    Dec 29
    Dec 30
    Dec 31
    Jan 01 2021
    Jan 02
    Jan 03

For my files I save things in folders so literally YY/MM/DD.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Test positivity rate today is below the original estimate for false positives on LFD. 5.3k positives from 1.9m tests. It was silly a few weeks ago, now it's utterly daft.

On the England data you can see LFD 'cases' making up an ever greater share of those being 'found', and an increasingly small proportion are ever verified by a PCR test.

I don't think this is true. Maybe 20% of the cases are unverified PCR (some of which, maybe a majority, will be false positives), and this has been fairly constant for the last couple of weeks. The vast majority of cases remained PCR-diagnosed.

It's not at all clear why this is "daft".

--AS
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Whitewash for Sturgeon
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited March 2021
    The report is up on the SG website now I believe.

Edit - no breach.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

I used to think that but since year is normally omitted then to be fair to them, MM/DD makes sense, with YY as a suffix where required. If I was dictator for a day I'd switch things to YY/MM/DD though.

If writing a journal (or saving files) then it makes it much easier to be:

Dec 25
    Dec 26
    Dec 27
    Dec 28
    Dec 29
    Dec 30
    Dec 31
    Jan 01 2021
    Jan 02
    Jan 03

For my files I save things in folders so literally YY/MM/DD.
    Ah, but then you end up with "Feb" being before "Jan" ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Even with the SA variant being resistant?
    After a period of quarantine.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    Shocked, absolutely shocked I tell you....I hope nobody was hoping of getting any whitewash for some DIY, B&Q will be totally out.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,623
    So...
  • Options

Whitewash for Sturgeon

Even Shami the Shameless is shaking her head in admiration.....
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,248

Cyclefree said:

I am in the curious position of disliking Brexit, as implemented by this government. But at the same time being very glad that I am not living in the EU given the petulant and dangerous way the EU and some of its governments are behaving over Covid and vaccines.

Not sure what group that puts me into.

I think there are alot more pragmatic remainers out there than the ideological types.

I voted remain, but have no love whatsoever for the EU clown show - and never have.
    I guess we could get away with the practice of stuffing the EU Commission with failed national politicians in less critical times.

I think the Volt political party is quite interesting - they have one German MEP, several local or regional elected officials in several countries, and are now represented in the Dutch parliament. A genuine pan-European party (unlike the cobbled-together groupings in the European parliament), which has already had a little bit of electoral success in several countries.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

More fundamentally, anyone who has to store date based named files (such as daily data) knows that the only way to keep them in the right order is to have them stored as YYMMDD.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,048
    Lol, the dumb dumb bullets failed again.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Well, so long as you submit a PCR negative test 72 hours before departure, the Israeli borders are now open. And they have ended lockdown and are reducing restrictions quite aggressively.

So we'll see soon enough (certainly by end April) if CV19 and new variants are likely to surge back in a post-vaccinated world.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

More fundamentally, anyone who has to store date based named files (such as daily data) knows that the only way to keep them in the right order is to have them stored as YYMMDD.
    Any gentleman knows that the true way to spell the date is thus

iii

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

So...

A little bit worse I feel than the report finding she did, followed by resignation. Within Hamilton's very precise remit, she did not breach the code. But everyone and his dog knows she did at other times. It smells of stitch up, and the necrotic limb remains in place.
  • Options
    Lord Hutton would be proud.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Overall vulnerable fraction is about 40% of adults in advanced countries.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    I'm damned if I'm going to Frankfurt on my holibobs.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
  • Options

I didn't realise he died last year.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Well, so long as you submit a PCR negative test 72 hours before departure, the Israeli borders are now open. And they have ended lockdown and are reducing restrictions quite aggressively.

So we'll see soon enough (certainly by end April) if CV19 and new variants are likely to surge back in a post-vaccinated world.
    It's good that the Israelis have dropped their previous requirement for visitors to go to a superspreader event.
  • Options
    How many of them will turn out to be from that persecuted minority, the privately educated?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
    AD/BC YYYYMMDD HHMM:SS
  • Options
    Not really. Viewing this as a detached outsider I had little doubt about the essential conclusion. Some cock up and confusion? Yes. Some less than ideal processes and comms? Yes. But a conspiracy to nail and jail Salmon and pervert the course of justice? No. Not for me. Not in a million years.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
    Apologies yes.

I have to deal with this on a daily basis so am aware of the issues.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

How many of them will turn out to be from that persecuted minority, the privately educated?
    I definitely saw a RARRRR LARPER....being bitten by a police dog....how did I know, only those of a certain background wear a pink hoodie / slacks combo that no self respecting working class lad like myself would dare to be seen out in.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Not really. Viewing this as a detached outsider I had little doubt about the essential conclusion. Some cock up and confusion? Yes. Some less than ideal processes and comms? Yes. But a conspiracy to nail and jail Salmon and pervert the course of justice? No. Not for me. Not in a million years.
    But Hamilton was not investigating the conspiracy charge, was he? I thought he was looking at Ministerial misconduct, which would not necessarily require conspiracy.
  • Options

I didn't realise he died last year.
    Just shortly after the first reopening and about 3 days before the anniversary of the death of David Kelly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

iii

ad XVI Kal March AD MMXXI
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

iii

Yep you try getting a computer to file that in the correct order.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
    For me it is DD-MMM-YYYY HH:MM:SS.mmm
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,970
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
    Doesn't say what calendar though is the date Julian or Gregorian ?
  • Options
    It's been edited again

"Hamilton also conducted an investigation into whether Sturgeon had breached the Scottish ministerial code during the Scottish Government's investigation into sexual harassment complaints made against Alex Salmond.[6] This was paused in 2019 and resumed in August 2020.[7] And in March 2021, his report was published.[8]

In January 2021 he was seen dancing a near-naked Highland jig with Nicola Sturgeon, on top of Ben Nevis, while wearing a tiny tartan codpiece and singing slogans from the film Braveheart. Hamilton blamed his behaviour on the consumption of three leather pails of Buckfast tonic wine."

They're having a laff, up there

• Options

I definitely saw a RARRRR LARPER....being bitten by a police dog....how did I know, only those of a certain background wear a pink hoodie / slacks combo that no self respecting working class lad like myself would dare to be seen out in.
    In my experience public schoolboys are the best dressed people in the world.

Now plebs like Jack Grealish, eesh.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/22/jack-grealishs-tracksuit-footballer-crimes-against-style/
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    kinabalu said:

I'm not so sure. I think Sturgeon did what she though most expedient in the height of the "Me Too" business. And that involved stitching Salmond up.
  • Options

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/22/jack-grealishs-tracksuit-footballer-crimes-against-style/
    Can't work out whether those are gold $ signs down his arm, or hamburgers.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I wonder how many £1000s that fashion crime cost? There will be some asians ladies sowing this stuff all day thinking do people really wear this in the west?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

That will perhaps be the part of the 30m Pfizer they bought not-via-EU, stocks over from Q1, and whatever they get from EU supplies for Apr, which if pro rata in time and population will be about 20m.

So yes - they should have the jabs to get 40m done in one month.

Bloody good idea, given where they are. Will get them to 1/3 adults vaccinated, even if they do 2 jabs each. Just about enough to start choking the third wave off by say end of May if they stay locked down.
  • Options
    eek said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
    Doesn't say what calendar though is the date Julian or Gregorian ?
    Thought about that after posting. Perhaps Mayan.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MattW said:

Endillion said:

Why is that funny? Ten people in a self-contained Powerleague pitch are surely less likely to spread disease than the same ten people in the park.
    Che

That will perhaps be the part of the 30m Pfizer they bought not-via-EU, stocks over from Q1, and whatever they get from EU supplies for Apr, which if pro rata in time and population will be about 20m.

So yes - they should have the jabs to get 40m done in one month.

Bloody good idea, given where they are.
    I bet that will go down really well....We are still struggling badly shout Austria, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal....Germany, well we have just done 40m in a month. UNNNNNNIIITTTTYYYYY.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

iii

Yep you try getting a computer to file that in the correct order.
    Actually, if you want to be strictly accurate, it should be written like this (if we're talking about today's date, say):

On this the fourth day since the Feast of Saint Joseph of Arimathea, in the 68th year of the reign of Her Blessed Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second, in the Year of Our Saviour, 2021.

If you want to be absolutely correct and coldly logical, that is
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,885

Andy_JS said:

When Australia were once described as being 4/6, I didn’t know how many runs they’d scored, how many wickets they’d lost, or if the commentator was talking about their odds to win the match!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    edited March 2021
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    edited March 2021
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,551

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

I am in the curious position of disliking Brexit, as implemented by this government. But at the same time being very glad that I am not living in the EU given the petulant and dangerous way the EU and some of its governments are behaving over Covid and vaccines.

Not sure what group that puts me into.

Same box as me. Someone who has seen the light ...
    That box being the one that takes the win the brexiteers fought for, but reserves the right to sneer at them at the same time.
    I regard it as a lose/lose.
    You sound like the sneery one.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    UK local R

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,239
    From the report:
    The failure to disclose the meeting of 29 March with Mr Aberdein to the
    Scottish Parliament on 8 January 2019, although the First Minister’s statement
    was technically a correct statement of the occasions on which the she had met
    Mr Salmond nonetheless resulted in an incomplete narrative of events. For the
    reasons stated above I accept that this omission was the result of a genuine
    failure of recollection and was not deliberate. That failure did not therefore in
    my opinion amount to a breach of the Ministerial Code.

The fact that she did not want to admit that she knew in advance that the meeting on 2nd April was a government meeting and not a party meeting is mentioned but then rather overlooked.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Precisely.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

I'm not so sure. I think Sturgeon did what she though most expedient in the height of the "Me Too" business. And that involved stitching Salmond up.
    This will just become one of those entrenched views now. SNP supporters will say the Hamilton report absolves Sturgeon of wrongdoing (despite having a somewhat different remit) and those against will cite the committee report, due to be published, and evidence against,

Stalemate
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,551
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Splendid birthday thread for William Shatner, but not as we know him...

https://twitter.com/i_am_mill_i_am/status/1373930160613949447

And his cover of Mr Tambourine Man. He really made the song his own -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc
    I preferred his cover of Common People. It was....memorable.
    Yes. Also strong. He's a classic Marmite artist.
    We each have our own favourite.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
    Hmmmm... And what about time zones???
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

from case data

from hospitalisation data

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm... YYYYMMDD surely?
    Hmmmm... And what about time zones???
    Who doesn't use GMT/UTC for everything? :D
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    Age related data - scaled to 100K population per age group

• Options
    edited March 2021
    DavidL said:

From the report:
    The failure to disclose the meeting of 29 March with Mr Aberdein to the
    Scottish Parliament on 8 January 2019, although the First Minister’s statement
    was technically a correct statement of the occasions on which the she had met
    Mr Salmond nonetheless resulted in an incomplete narrative of events. For the
    reasons stated above I accept that this omission was the result of a genuine
    failure of recollection and was not deliberate. That failure did not therefore in
    my opinion amount to a breach of the Ministerial Code.

The fact that she did not want to admit that she knew in advance that the meeting on 2nd April was a government meeting and not a party meeting is mentioned but then rather overlooked.

• Options
    I once managed to get this William Shatner 'singing' performance into a PB thread header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J648lr8cjuw
This discussion has been closed.