Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Aside from his vaccine approval and voting bounce the weekend’s other Johnson-Starmer ratings look t

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:
    When discussing civil liberties, it’s always a good idea to be seen to be standing up for those you don’t agree with. Perhaps Wera now wishes she’d spoken out earlier about other cases, but the replies to that thread are quite depressing.
    We're discussing this locally too. Bits of Godalming have had a rash of moderately worrying ASB - youths shouting at pensioners, vandalism, swigging booze in the road, that sort of thing, though not actual violence against people. The police would like a public spaces protection order, and the council is consulting on it - I'm the relevant portfolio-holder. This would enable them to impose spot fines of up to £100 for behaviour likely to cause distress etc., to provide a choice between slow, expensive court hearings and no action. The whole (smallish) town would be covered to avoid simply moving the trouble-makers around.

Specifically, anyone doing the following would be subject to spot fines:

* intentionally or recklessly, shouts, swears, screams, is verbally abusive or acts in a manner to cause, or likely to cause, annoyance, harassment, alarm or distress to any person.
    * acts or incites others to act in an anti-social manner that is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

One sees what they're getting at. But similar questions are being posed as nationally. Is "liable to cause... annoyance... to... any person" too vague? Aren't there all kinds of lawful activities that come under that heading, such as posting something contentious on PB? Wouldn't it effectively ban any kind of demonstration, even if Covid-compliant?

My provisional feeling is that "annoyance" needs to be tightened up, e.g. "serious and persistent annoyance". Any views?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Cliche alert: Londonder moves to the Cotswolds and life there isn't what they expected.

https://www.standard.co.uk/escapist/i-left-london-for-the-countryside-and-it-was-nothing-like-i-dreamed-b923836.html

Superb unselfawareness

‘I loved my job, editing a glossy magazine from the Vogue House offices in Mayfair. I loved our house, a four-bedroom detached Victorian villa near Kingston-upon-Thames’

Right away, we know she is worth £2m, minimum.
    Maybe not. Note she says "near" Kingston, for some reason, not "in" Kingston. That's usually code for "in a shitty part of town that I don't want to admit to living in".

£1m would be my guess, and there may have been a big mortgage on it.

It’s also not clear that they owned the whole house. Talk of living below people etc.
    Yes I wondered about that too. I assumed it was from their days before they bought the house, living in a flat, and careless editing had chopped that part out. But you could be right.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Charles said:

kamski said:

DougSeal said:
    "Ah, but", says the EU "blood clots...."

has the EU said blood clots though?

just as once the seeds of doubt were planted in AZ by their botched trials many delusional people start seeing anything that happens in the vicinity of AZ as being caused by AZ, there are so many posters on here who are so addicted to the paranoid delusional politics of grievance that they need to see EU anti-British plots everywhere.
    The EU is acquiescing by silence to the madness running rampant across member states.

Thailand: "Hey, there might be a problem with....actually, no there isn't. As you were."

EU " .............................................................................................. "
    It’s not in the EU’s interests to intervene. They need the European governments to be proven to be as useless as they are otherwise there could be a roll back of power to the nation states...
    Have they calculated how many deaths of EU citizens they will allow to effect that power retention?

Every gold star on the EU flag to represent a thousand who could have lived with the vaccine?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    The other thing about the suspension of Ox-AZ is that it all seems to have initially triggered by a cluster of three people in Norway. But thinking about it this is even more ridiculous. If a cluster of 3 was specific evidence of a problem with the vaccine, as opposed to just a natural variation/statistical quirk in a large population then there would be reports of blood clots EVERYWHERE, and in large numbers. Not just a statistically tiny number out of millions given.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:
    When discussing civil liberties, it’s always a good idea to be seen to be standing up for those you don’t agree with. Perhaps Wera now wishes she’d spoken out earlier about other cases, but the replies to that thread are quite depressing.
    We're discussing this locally too. Bits of Godalming have had a rash of moderately worrying ASB - youths shouting at pensioners, vandalism, swigging booze in the road, that sort of thing, though not actual violence against people. The police would like a public spaces protection order, and the council is consulting on it - I'm the relevant portfolio-holder. This would enable them to impose spot fines of up to £100 for behaviour likely to cause distress etc., to provide a choice between slow, expensive court hearings and no action. The whole (smallish) town would be covered to avoid simply moving the trouble-makers around.

* intentionally or recklessly, shouts, swears, screams, is verbally abusive or acts in a manner to cause, or likely to cause, annoyance, harassment, alarm or distress to any person.
    * acts or incites others to act in an anti-social manner that is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

One sees what they're getting at. But similar questions are being posed as nationally. Is "liable to cause... annoyance... to... any person" too vague? Aren't there all kinds of lawful activities that come under that heading, such as posting something contentious on PB? Wouldn't it effectively ban any kind of demonstration, even if Covid-compliant?

My provisional feeling is that "annoyance" needs to be tightened up, e.g. "serious and persistent annoyance". Any views?
    Walking I get annoyed by:

someone on their phone not looking where they are going
    groups walking together unnecessarily using the whole width of the path
    people stopping suddenly in front of me
    cyclists
    joggers
    dog walkers

Not sure they should all be fined £100. It doesn't need to cover annoyance or even serious persistent annoyance - harassment and distress is sufficient imo.

More broadly we clearly need enforcement that can be done for minor crimes without using a court system with a 2-5 year backlog - why arent these things being discussed nationally instead of creating more extreme restrictive laws?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. B, yeah, there was much talk of the rear snapping in an unforgiving way.

However, Mercedes might have improved things towards the end of the test. But if they're chasing balance that will be music to Red Bull's ears.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259

kamski said:

kamski said:

DougSeal said:

just as once the seeds of doubt were planted in AZ by their botched trials many delusional people start seeing anything that happens in the vicinity of AZ as being caused by AZ, there are so many posters on here who are so addicted to the paranoid delusional politics of grievance that they need to see EU anti-British plots everywhere.
    The EU is acquiescing by silence to the madness running rampant across member states.

Thailand: "Hey, there might be a problem with....actually, no there isn't. As you were."

EU " .............................................................................................. "
    So "the EU" hasn't said "blood clots", but most of your posts are just crap you've made up, so par for the course.

The EMA, which is surely the relevant EU body has actually said that vaccinations should continue.
    So why is nobody in the EU pointing to the EMA and saying "This. Now get back to jabbing."?

It's because there's ANOTHER FUCKING AGENDA. Their initial mis-steps are being compounded by every next step they take. Just have the human decency, UvdL, to go in front of the media and say "So we go to it wrong on the AZ thing. It's actually great. It will save lots of lives across the EU." Instead, her actions are governed by not ever admitting failings in an EU system.

Von der Leyen may be a worse than useless idiot who should resign, but what has she got to do with the blood clot mess? precisely nothing in reality, but on Planet Brexit she has to be dragged into everything.

afaik she was demanding more doses of the vaccine. as usual your posts don't make any logical sense even on their own terms, let alone having any connection to reality.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited March 2021

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Cliche alert: Londonder moves to the Cotswolds and life there isn't what they expected.

https://www.standard.co.uk/escapist/i-left-london-for-the-countryside-and-it-was-nothing-like-i-dreamed-b923836.html

Superb unselfawareness

‘I loved my job, editing a glossy magazine from the Vogue House offices in Mayfair. I loved our house, a four-bedroom detached Victorian villa near Kingston-upon-Thames’

Right away, we know she is worth £2m, minimum. So, zero sympathy

Why do they publish this tripe, unless they aim to humiliate the naive writer?
    If she wanted to truly get away from London then perhaps the Cotswolds, full of Londoners commuting, and people who wanted to get away from London wasn't the ideal choice?
    Maybe commuting to London 4 days a week wasn't either?
    Just a couple of thoughts.
    The madness there was more not doing enough due diligence - depending on one school, location of the house (far too close to neighbours), no due diligence on ownership of nearby properties etc etc

If you don't know an area, just buying is a bit mad. I would have gone for rent out the house in Kingston and use the proceeds to rent.
    There are some glossy brochures about for new houses being, or shortly to be, built in our area; 3/4 beds, high standard, upwards of £500k. Desirable rural area, quaint ancient pubs. It all sounds delightful, if somewhat pricey.

Surgery can't take any more patients though, and the schools are full.
    If the Planning System works, that should in significant measure be subject of Section 106 or CiL funding to provide the capacity.

A 100-ish housing estate I tool through planning had to make provision for around 25 places at primary and secondary level.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704
    Charles said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

The actions of Ireland are bad enough - but hopefully it'll be a short pause till Thursday there (That's quite bad enough).
    But the Italian police seizing 400,000 vaccines. Sweet Jesus christ

I hope they are maintaining the cold chain during seizure, transport and storage. Otherwise, that is 400k does down the drain.
    I think that's precisely what will happen. Why seize them rather than just giving a pause on vaccinations like everywhere else that isn't quite as bonkers as Italy ?
    Oh they've put in place a vaccine pause as well. Although that maybe as a consequence of the police seizure which means that any contrary action puts them all on the hook for mass murder (i'm not joking - that's how Italian prosecutors work). I doubt the police are working in concert with national government officials at all.
    The head of the Italian regulators said overnight that the AstraZeneca vaccine is safe and the decision to suspend it was “political”
    Just possibly, of course, there's a widespread lack of trust in us, the British.
    I’m sorry but that is a fucking stupid answer. Even being a Europhile doesn’t justify that attitude from you, especially given your historical training. AstraZeneca’s vaccine is effective. AstraZeneca’s vaccine is safe. People will die if they don’t take it.

There is no way to justify the bullshit from the European politicians
    Surely @OldKingCole is pointing out a possible cause of what appears to be a smear campaign in Europe against the AZ vaccine? He's not saying a lack of trust is justified. His suggestion may or may not be correct but it's hardly fair to class it as 'fucking stupid'.

What's your alternative explanation for the way the AZ vaccine has been singled out?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

F1: Hamilton's odds for winning Bahrain now out to 2.6, Verstappen still 2.62, Perez down as well.

Seems some really do think Red Bull could have the best car.

I’ll be backing Lewis and Valtteri, if Max goes favourite before the qualifying session - when we see the true pace of the cars for the first time.
    Its been the same for several years now. Ferrari are quicker, no Red Bull, Mercedes have problems....and then the racing starts.
    Oh indeed. Testing is just testing, no-one is even scrutineering the cars.

For all we know, they could have the fuel flow meters removed, be 20kg underweight and taking a shortcut at the first corner.

There’s photographic evidence of Tsunoda’s fastest lap having the DRS open about 400 yards before it will be allowed in the race, to give just one example.

We shall see the running order of the cars at the end of the qualifying session for the first event, not before! Which gives some good betting opportunities, for those who over react to watching the timing screen at test sessions.
    There is that - but Mercedes, even if they were sandbagging, would hardly do so by sabotaging their gearbox and then unbalancing their car. They appear to have genuinely started off on the back foot.
    I agree they’re on the back foot. I dont agree with those predicting RB to win the first race though, think Mercedes will turn up the performance when it matters.
  • Options

[Google translate]

Germany's decision to suspend the AstraZeneca anti-Covid vaccine at midday on Monday March 15 "caught the French government by surprise" , franceinfo learned from several government sources. According to the latter, the two countries had agreed to wait for an opinion from the European Medicines Agency before any possible suspension.

Faced with the German decision, "our main European partner" , France could not therefore remain isolated and continue vaccination, said these sources.

Emmanuel Macron announced at a press conference in Montauban the decision to "suspend as a precaution" the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine , pending an opinion from the European drug authority. The Head of State said "hope to resume soon" vaccination with this serum, "if the opinion of the European authority allows" . Several other European countries have also decided to suspend the use of this vaccine.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/vaccin/suspension-du-vaccin-astrazeneca-la-france-a-ete-prise-de-court-par-la-decision-allemande_4334317.html

"If the opinion of the EMA allows"(!)

'Effing 'ell...

Does the EMA have to say it in a certain way to a form of wording specifically approved by political leaders that it has so far failed to quite master???
  • Options
    edited March 2021

However, Mercedes might have improved things towards the end of the test. But if they're chasing balance that will be music to Red Bull's ears.

Is there a 'forgiving' way in which the rear could snap? Just asking :wink:
  • Options
    alex_ said:

[Google translate]

Germany's decision to suspend the AstraZeneca anti-Covid vaccine at midday on Monday March 15 "caught the French government by surprise" , franceinfo learned from several government sources. According to the latter, the two countries had agreed to wait for an opinion from the European Medicines Agency before any possible suspension.

Faced with the German decision, "our main European partner" , France could not therefore remain isolated and continue vaccination, said these sources.

Emmanuel Macron announced at a press conference in Montauban the decision to "suspend as a precaution" the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine , pending an opinion from the European drug authority. The Head of State said "hope to resume soon" vaccination with this serum, "if the opinion of the European authority allows" . Several other European countries have also decided to suspend the use of this vaccine.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/vaccin/suspension-du-vaccin-astrazeneca-la-france-a-ete-prise-de-court-par-la-decision-allemande_4334317.html

'Effing 'ell...

Does the EMA have to say it in a certain way to a form of wording specifically approved by political leaders that it has so far failed to quite master???
    Also, if the EMA's word is gospel, why stop using AZ until they say 'stop'?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/mar/15/coronavirus-live-news-astrazeneca-finds-no-evidence-of-blood-clot-risk-as-netherlands-suspends-vaccine?page=with:block-604f946b8f0860686c6fab90#block-604f946b8f0860686c6fab90
  • Options
    alex_ said:

[Google translate]

'Effing 'ell...

They all seem to have missed the EMA giving its opinion on 29th January, an opinion which is just as valid now as it was then.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0129/1193784-astra-zeneca-vaccine/
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm glad to see it getting serious examination. "Liable to cause annoyance ... to any person" is imo far too vague. It needs wording which is either cautious or has a known legal definition. As it is any enforcer can magic up a fictional victim out of thin air.

In Mansfield they had a couple of middle-schoolers bicycling around market stalls one afternoon, and the buggers entirely banned cycling in the town centre. Meant that kids going swimming from half the town had to either push their bikes for 20 minutes through a deserted evening town centre, or cycle round the ring road.

• Options
    Mr. Pointer, well, there are degrees of warning signs and things being easier to recover. It's never good, though.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Superb unselfawareness

If she wanted to truly get away from London then perhaps the Cotswolds, full of Londoners commuting, and people who wanted to get away from London wasn't the ideal choice?
    The madness there was more not doing enough due diligence - depending on one school, location of the house (far too close to neighbours), no due diligence on ownership of nearby properties etc etc

If you don't know an area, just buying is a bit mad. I would have gone for rent out the house in Kingston and use the proceeds to rent.
    There are some glossy brochures about for new houses being, or shortly to be, built in our area; 3/4 beds, high standard, upwards of £500k. Desirable rural area, quaint ancient pubs. It all sounds delightful, if somewhat pricey.

If the Planning System works, that should in significant measure be subject of Section 106 or CiL funding to provide the capacity.

A 100-ish housing estate I tool through planning had to make provision for around 25 places at primary and secondary level.
    True; however in one case locally at least some of the section 106 money is being spent in a completely different part of the District Council's area,
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

The actions of Ireland are bad enough - but hopefully it'll be a short pause till Thursday there (That's quite bad enough).

I hope they are maintaining the cold chain during seizure, transport and storage. Otherwise, that is 400k does down the drain.
    I think that's precisely what will happen. Why seize them rather than just giving a pause on vaccinations like everywhere else that isn't quite as bonkers as Italy ?
    Oh they've put in place a vaccine pause as well. Although that maybe as a consequence of the police seizure which means that any contrary action puts them all on the hook for mass murder (i'm not joking - that's how Italian prosecutors work). I doubt the police are working in concert with national government officials at all.
    The head of the Italian regulators said overnight that the AstraZeneca vaccine is safe and the decision to suspend it was “political”
    Just possibly, of course, there's a widespread lack of trust in us, the British.
    I’m sorry but that is a fucking stupid answer. Even being a Europhile doesn’t justify that attitude from you, especially given your historical training. AstraZeneca’s vaccine is effective. AstraZeneca’s vaccine is safe. People will die if they don’t take it.

Surely @OldKingCole is pointing out a possible cause of what appears to be a smear campaign in Europe against the AZ vaccine? He's not saying a lack of trust is justified. His suggestion may or may not be correct but it's hardly fair to class it as 'fucking stupid'.

What's your alternative explanation for the way the AZ vaccine has been singled out?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Good for him - some sane voices remain.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

[Google translate]

'Effing 'ell...

Good job we have Boris isn't it
  • Options

MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Superb unselfawareness

True; however in one case locally at least some of the section 106 money is being spent in a completely different part of the District Council's area,
    Indeed. My project also had to come up with 200k to renovate the Town Square.
  • Options

Mr. Pointer, well, there are degrees of warning signs and things being easier to recover. It's never good, though.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek obvs.

I have just welded up a new handcycle frame: I have done the bending moment calcs and checked all the welds... but I still take comfort in the thought that, as it's built in steel rather than alu or carbon, any failure is likely to be progressive rather than dramatic. :smile:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Bild's take [Google Translate]

"This is how trust is lost!"
    Violent criticism after vaccination emergency brake

https://www.bild.de/politik/inland/politik-inland/astrazeneca-stopp-mitten-in-der-impfstoff-krise-so-wird-vertrauen-verspielt-75752314.bild.html
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Superb unselfawareness

One, subsequently turned down, project locally referred to development in a primary school 10 or so miles away, with no public transport.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Since I’ve been assured that no one really wants Indyref2, presumably this is a massive tactical error by the EssEnnPee and should be welcomed by Unionists everywhere.

https://twitter.com/no1_nicola/status/1371737882759725058?s=21
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,232

With apologies for a Scottish newspaper link to a Manchester story: http://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/19162548.stagecoach-launches-bid-halt-bus-franchising-manchester/?ref=appshr

Andy Burnham wants to regain control over Greater Manchester bus services - timetables, frequency, fares. Stagecoach are objecting, which considering their near monopoly in southern Manchester for 25 years isn't a surprise.

Bus deregulation has in so many places led to private monopolies where the operator can do what they like with no option from local authorities to do anything about it. Labour could have changed this in government but decided not to.

to be fair, it has been 11 years since the last Labour government.....
    Some say it's been 42 years since a Labour Government.
  • Options
    Of course there are also trolls all over social media declaring that the official reported figures on blood clots etc are massively under-reported and how they personally know several people who have suffered clots or worse after taking the vaccine.

Of course they don't know how the reporting system on side-effects actually works, such that this is extremely implausible, but this doesn't stop them, or stop people believing them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm glad to see it getting serious examination. "Liable to cause annoyance ... to any person" is imo far too vague. It needs wording which is either cautious or has a known legal definition. As it is any enforcer can magic up a fictional victim out of thin air.

In Mansfield they had a couple of middle-schoolers bicycling around market stalls one afternoon, and the buggers entirely banned cycling in the town centre. Meant that kids going swimming from half the town had to either push their bikes for 20 minutes through a deserted evening town centre, or cycle round the ring road.

I think that a major part of the problem with law makers is that they assume that their laws will be applied reasonably. They need to assume that they will be applied officiously and oppressively. If the outcome is still reasonable when applied that way then the balance is about right.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Superb unselfawareness

That wasn't Braintree, was it? I gather there's been some discussion in that direction.
  • Options
    Mr. Pointer, ah, bit sleepy and missed that.

My knowledge of materials and their behaviour is pretty limited. Not sure that matters too much, I'm firmly of the view it's possible to both have too much information and read into available information too much when betting on F1.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

1st offence - telling off by police
    2nd offence - ticket and 2 hours litter pick or other community service
    3rd offence - stick them in a 4-day army boot camp over a long weekend
  • Options

With apologies for a Scottish newspaper link to a Manchester story: http://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/19162548.stagecoach-launches-bid-halt-bus-franchising-manchester/?ref=appshr

Andy Burnham wants to regain control over Greater Manchester bus services - timetables, frequency, fares. Stagecoach are objecting, which considering their near monopoly in southern Manchester for 25 years isn't a surprise.

Bus deregulation has in so many places led to private monopolies where the operator can do what they like with no option from local authorities to do anything about it. Labour could have changed this in government but decided not to.

to be fair, it has been 11 years since the last Labour government.....
    Some say it's been 42 years since a Labour Government.
    Ah the good old days of Harold Wilson.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    AlistairM said:

Endillion said:

Leon said:

No, we can point and laugh at them. It won't do much for public health, but, you know, we're in a plague. Giggles are thin on the ground.

Not sure about laughing, I think it's more that we need some modern-day Ingmar Bergman to produce a successor to The Seventh Seal.
    Trivia: Name another film about a game. See how many you can name. Go!
    Battleship
    3 Jumanji films
    All the Saw films (kind of; he keeps saying he wants to play a game)
    Wreck-it Ralph
    Ender's Game
    World of Warcraft
    The Pokemon Movie
    TRON
    Don't forget these classics:

- Assassin's Creed
    - Street Fighter
    - Mortal Kombat
    - Sonic the Hedgehog
    - Super Mario Bros
    - Angry Birds
    The Sting
    Any Given Sunday
    Escape to Victory
    Clue
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    And yet to listen to the Brexiteers on here the EU/EMA are in charge and are dictating to all their stupidity. Which is true - except that it ISN'T. Member states are free to do as they see fit, which is why we have the contrasting polar opposites of Belgium jabbing away and Italy arresting the vaccine for witchcraft.

• Options

Since I’ve been assured that no one really wants Indyref2, presumably this is a massive tactical error by the EssEnnPee and should be welcomed by Unionists everywhere.

I don't know about a tactical error but I welcome it. Anyone who votes for the SNP for whatever reason should be no doubt about the chaos they are endorsing. Voting for them because you don't like the Tories or Labour or whatever is a vote with potentially very serious consequences and should be thought about.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Walking I get annoyed by:

someone on their phone not looking where they are going
    groups walking together unnecessarily using the whole width of the path
    people stopping suddenly in front of me
    cyclists
    joggers
    dog walkers

Not sure they should all be fined £100. It doesn't need to cover annoyance or even serious persistent annoyance - harassment and distress is sufficient imo.

More broadly we clearly need enforcement that can be done for minor crimes without using a court system with a 2-5 year backlog - why arent these things being discussed nationally instead of creating more extreme restrictive laws?
    Anyone cycling wearing lycra should basically get a ticket automatically.

It's only a matter of time before they are anti-social to someone.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    edited March 2021
    I wonder if some of the odd behaviour around the AZ vaccine is less about politics, more about populations in many other countries having quite a different world view about the role of vaccination in ending the Covid crisis.

It's been seen and positioned in the UK (and presumably also in Israel, as well as at least partly in the US) as the silver bullet out of the pandemic. More important than anything else, and probably rightly so given the high efficacy and success of the rollouts in these countries but also because we did so badly over Christmas and January. Elsewhere, fed by pre-existing vaccine hesitancy, it was never seen in quite the same light. Just one of a number of strategies to help ease infection rates. Hence pausing rollout from an excess of caution may not feel quite so odd a thing to do.

I also wonder if the MMR debacle in the UK, and the comprehensive trashing of the theories and individuals behind the scare ever since, have immunised the British public a little from anti-vax sentiment.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259

Andy_JS said:
    And yet to listen to the Brexiteers on here the EU/EMA are in charge and are dictating to all their stupidity. Which is true - except that it ISN'T. Member states are free to do as they see fit, which is why we have the contrasting polar opposites of Belgium jabbing away and Italy arresting the vaccine for witchcraft.

The biggest party in the Italian Chamber of Deputies (and the current governing coalition) has a history of bonkers anti-vaxxism
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

I've rarely, if ever, sworn or used foul language when responding to a post. I've probably used the 'abbreviation' K'nell but that's all. I thought better of you.

And on the point I have no doubts whatsoever about the safety of the vaccine; indeed my wife had it, and is waiting for her second dose. And I agree that it's foolish in the extreme to refuse it. I was simply trying to offer an explanation, there being few if any rational ones..

I rarely swear either. But on this occasion it merited it.

I am glad, though that you are not a fucking idiot.

(Politicans causing unnecessary deaths for PR reasons makes me furious)
  • Options

I was calling this a while back - the all or nothing strategy was the obvious play:
    1 A very clear mandate for a referendum should they win
    2 Entire election campaign focused on independence and not Alex Salmond
    3 Lots of "an amazing future" guff which encompasses recovery from the pox and says we don't have to go back to how things were before

What does she have to lose? There has been a frenzied push for her head, including today's vote of no confidence. Unless she reclaims the political agenda and replants her leadership she will be gone anyway.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Superb unselfawareness

Catching up on last night's thread.

I'm sorry ... the Cotswolds are different to London?

Thought it was mainly the same people, with hills, honeystone, grass and cows. My observation, anyway.
    Very curious article.

Apparently a 4 bed detached villa-style house in Kingston upon Thames to Mayfair is a wearing commute.

MattW said:

MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Superb unselfawareness

That wasn't Braintree, was it? I gather there's been some discussion in that direction.
    No. North Notts somewhere.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

DougSeal said:

So "the EU" hasn't said "blood clots", but most of your posts are just crap you've made up, so par for the course.

The EMA, which is surely the relevant EU body has actually said that vaccinations should continue.
    So why is nobody in the EU pointing to the EMA and saying "This. Now get back to jabbing."?

It's because there's ANOTHER FUCKING AGENDA. Their initial mis-steps are being compounded by every next step they take. Just have the human decency, UvdL, to go in front of the media and say "So we go to it wrong on the AZ thing. It's actually great. It will save lots of lives across the EU." Instead, her actions are governed by not ever admitting failings in an EU system.

Von der Leyen may be a worse than useless idiot who should resign, but what has she got to do with the blood clot mess? precisely nothing in reality, but on Planet Brexit she has to be dragged into everything.

afaik she was demanding more doses of the vaccine. as usual your posts don't make any logical sense even on their own terms, let alone having any connection to reality.
    There are, of course, multiple agendas colliding.

The EU wants to get the vaccine procurement rolling. But they are still fighting with AZN - steadily briefing that the company is lying, cheating, misbehaving. This feeds into mistrust of AZN.

The national governments are looking at inadequate supplies in the near term - and cases are rising in many countries, despite restrictions. This is slow motion disaster at this point, but gathering pace. So the disquiet about AZN from the EU feeds into that. It is probably a case of hearing what you think you want to hear - AZN, problem, aZN, problem....

The you have the sub-national stuff - which is feeding off the EU and notional level AZN issue. Hence the stuff in Italy...

Compare this to Canada, say. Where supplies have been low, due to the production issues. For one week, a little while back, they received no vaccines. Instead of starting a fight with the drug companies, the Canadian government (at national level) tried to increase supply by working with the companies. While broadcasting a steady pro-vax message.
  • Options
    To his credit, Blair's motivation in all this is fairly clearly about protecting peace in Northern Ireland. There are too many more concerned with process and making assertions about "the UK/(occasionally EU) made its bed it can lie in it", whilst ignoring the fact that the stated purpose of the protocol is to protect the Good Friday agreement and Northern Ireland peace, not about winners or losers between the UK/EU. If the arrangements currently in place under the Protocol aren't working to the purpose intended (whether due to issues at the Irish border OR the Irish Sea border) then it is encumbent on both sides to adapt and be flexible to revise them.

(Legally) enforcing the agreement as written won't help it meet its purpose if it doesn't work.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

That sounds to me like a really good idea, if it gives all voters a chance to say whether or not they want an Independence referendum. It means the Scottish government gets a clear view of voters' views without combining the referendum with anything else.

Good morning, everybody.
  • Options
    A tip for anyone moving to the countryside: never join the village WhatsApp group.

It is poison.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    I think it's shocking that the EU, as imperial oppressor, through its lickspittle mouthpiece the "EMA" is forcing all Member States to take the AZN vaccine.

It just shows how little sovereignty those supposedly "sovereign" nation Member States actually have.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

I've rarely, if ever, sworn or used foul language when responding to a post. I've probably used the 'abbreviation' K'nell but that's all. I thought better of you.

And on the point I have no doubts whatsoever about the safety of the vaccine; indeed my wife had it, and is waiting for her second dose. And I agree that it's foolish in the extreme to refuse it. I was simply trying to offer an explanation, there being few if any rational ones..

I rarely swear either. But on this occasion it merited it.

I am glad, though that you are not a fucking idiot.

(Politicans causing unnecessary deaths for PR reasons makes me furious)
    I refer you to Mr Benpointer, upthread.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Have we reached the stage yet where Brexiteer ultras are arguing that the EU should be MORE centralised and integrated?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    TimS said:

I wonder if some of the odd behaviour around the AZ vaccine is less about politics, more about populations in many other countries having quite a different world view about the role of vaccination in ending the Covid crisis.

It's been seen and positioned in the UK (and presumably also in Israel, as well as at least partly in the US) as the silver bullet out of the pandemic. More important than anything else, and probably rightly so given the high efficacy and success of the rollouts in these countries but also because we did so badly over Christmas and January. Elsewhere, fed by pre-existing vaccine hesitancy, it was never seen in quite the same light. Just one of a number of strategies to help ease infection rates. Hence pausing rollout from an excess of caution may not feel quite so odd a thing to do.

I also wonder if the MMR debacle in the UK, and the comprehensive trashing of the theories and individuals behind the scare ever since, have immunised the British public a little from anti-vax sentiment.

You may be right. In which case, I hope they enjoy their third and fourth wave lockdowns.
  • Options

A tip for anyone moving to the countryside: never join the village WhatsApp group.

It is poison.

What have you done now?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Agree Nick - never hurts to tighten up the wording. If I could think of anything, I'd tighten up even further.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

That sounds to me like a really good idea, if it gives all voters a chance to say whether or not they want an Independence referendum. It means the Scottish government gets a clear view of voters' views without combining the referendum with anything else.

Good morning, everybody.
    Not sure - think you've misread. They don't want a separate question. They want their policy to be attached to their name on the paper. "SNP for a second referendum", instead of just "SNP" etc.

It would be a bit like Labour, for example, having a policy of £1000 for every voter, and putting on the ballot paper: "Labour and a free £1000 gift"
  • Options
    TimS said:

Interesting point.

My own view is coloured partly by the two opposite extremes on offer. One can die of Covid19, one can die from a blood clot. Given a choice I think death via blood clot sounds the better option.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Have we reached the stage yet where Brexiteer ultras are arguing that the EU should be MORE centralised and integrated?
    Does all this straw man nonsense make those foolish enough to oppose us leaving the EU feel a bit better about themselves? Apologies if I have missed it but I have not seen anyone on here say that this is all the fault of the EMA or that it should be. But carry on, I know its a bit embarrassing right now.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Thanks for the comments on our ASB consultation @Casino_Royale @noneoftheabove @MattW. I need to sign off now to work, but any other thoughts welcome to nickmp1 (at) aol.com
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    AnneJGP said:

Good morning, everybody.
    I believe the IndyRef Bill will be presented shortly. I imagine SNP are keen to disrupt the sleaze/arrogance narrative that is building up following Salmond/Sturgeon and the repeated withholding of evidence - and re-energise their base.

Of course, we still have the Salmond inquiry report to come, Hamilton's conclusions on whether Sturgeon broke the ministerial code, and Tory a VONC in Sturgeon. Plus possibility of LibDem sponsored VONC in Swinney over non-release of OECD report on education.

So lots more to look forward to...Enjoy
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    alex_ said:

AnneJGP said:

Good morning, everybody.
    Not sure - think you've misread. They don't want a separate question. They want their policy to be attached to their name on the paper. "SNP for a second referendum", instead of just "SNP" etc.

It would be a bit like Labour, for example, having a policy of £1000 for every voter, and putting on the ballot paper: "Labour and a free £1000 gift"
    Oh, dear, what a pity. It would be such a good idea.

Edited to add: a good thing anyway, though, because it makes it crystal clear what you're voting for.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

Is there a 'forgiving' way in which the rear could snap? Just asking :wink:
    Sure. F1 cars are highly mass centralised and have a relatively low polar moment of inertia in the yaw axis so if they enter an oversteer condition they can spin quickly. However, due to weight transfer on corner entry, as opposed to corner exit, oversteer can occur much more quickly and is in that sense less forgiving.

There is a whole lot of crap talked about F1 car 'setup' but the tech regulations are now so tight that most of it is just fucking around with tyre pressures to try to manage the balance between front and rear grip.

I've driven a 2000 era F1 car and a 1995-ish NASCAR and the NASCAR was far harder to drive at the limit.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Insightful post. Another reason is bureaucratic process is also more valued in most European states than it is in the UK.

So if the standard procedure for medicines state if another country suspends its use, it should be suspended domestically until further research is available, that will carry far more weight across Europe than it does here when the situation is an emergency and the evidence for suspension is weak to almost the point of being non existent.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Does all this straw man nonsense make those foolish enough to oppose us leaving the EU feel a bit better about themselves? Apologies if I have missed it but I have not seen anyone on here say that this is all the fault of the EMA or that it should be. But carry on, I know its a bit embarrassing right now.
    Another one who has no confidence in the UK being able to do its own thing. As indeed it did over vaccines, given that we were nominally still EU members when the VTF was set up.

Do you lot understand nothing?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

It is poison.

Apparently Facebook groups on new build developments are hilarious.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It is poison.

What have you done now?
    Not joined it. But I've heard the stories.

I don't want my phone buzzing night and day from a few Victor Meldrew's who use it to pursue very petty grievances and vendettas and be sucked into it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    This is remarkable - solid evidence that the Greenland ice sheet almost completely melted and reformed during the last million years.
    Which implies it's a great deal more unstable than we hitherto thought.

A multimillion-year-old record of Greenland vegetation and glacial history preserved in sediment beneath 1.4 km of ice at Camp Century
    https://www.pnas.org/content/118/13/e2021442118
    Understanding Greenland Ice Sheet history is critical for predicting its response to future climate warming and contribution to sea-level rise. We analyzed sediment at the bottom of the Camp Century ice core, collected 120 km from the coast in northwestern Greenland. The sediment, frozen under nearly 1.4 km of ice, contains well-preserved fossil plants and biomolecules sourced from at least two ice-free warm periods in the past few million years. Enriched stable isotopes in pore ice indicate precipitation at lower elevations than present, implying ice-sheet absence. The similarity of cosmogenic isotope ratios in the upper-most sediment to those measured in bedrock near the center of Greenland suggests that the ice sheet melted and re-formed at least once during the past million years.
  • Options

Thanks for the comments on our ASB consultation @Casino_Royale @noneoftheabove @MattW. I need to sign off now to work, but any other thoughts welcome to nickmp1 (at) aol.com

No problem.

You could also threaten them with a compulsory weekend of Diplomacy, and a thrashing from you of a different kind.

They won't do it again.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Another one who has no confidence in the UK being able to do its own thing. As indeed it did over vaccines, given that we were nominally still EU members when the VTF was set up.

I know, you're embarrassed. I won't rub it in.
  • Options

It is poison.

A tip for everyone. Don’t use WhatsApp, deleting it was the best thing I did last year.
  • Options
    Courier fun with Hermes (not my choice...) Amazon Prime order on Friday lunchtime. Hermes have had it since Friday teatime, still no sign of it emerging from their Dundee depot, no advice about progress or what the problem is (aside from them being Hermes which is enough of a problem by itself).

This is the problem with the click and deliver model. It relies on courier firms who can only get sufficient capacity by hiring slaves who tend not to work too hard when treated so badly by their "employer".

Yes I know - its my fault for ordering online. But the shops are shut. And the last time I ordered from an actual shop (Argos) the item was faulty. "Take it back to any Argos store" says customer services. Yet Argos stores CANNOT process returns and apologetically said they have told management of the customer service error repeatedly. Returns can only be processed at Argos in Sainsbury's "and I can't advise you to go to one as its outside the county and Covid restrictions mean you aren't supposed to travel".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

You mean Brexiteers’ mutual hand shandies over vaccines on here haven’t included much excoriation of the EU? If you say so.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

TimS said:

Insightful post. Another reason is bureaucratic process is also more valued in most European states than it is in the UK.

So if the standard procedure for medicines state if another country suspends its use, it should be suspended domestically until further research is available, that will carry far more weight across Europe than it does here when the situation is an emergency and the evidence for suspension is weak to almost the point of being non existent.
    There is also, as I think Foxy has mentioned, the fact that vaccination in general has been health/government policy for decades, in the UK. Hence the high take up of vaccines, generally, here.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    alex_ said:

To his credit, Blair's motivation in all this is fairly clearly about protecting peace in Northern Ireland. There are too many more concerned with process and making assertions about "the UK/(occasionally EU) made its bed it can lie in it", whilst ignoring the fact that the stated purpose of the protocol is to protect the Good Friday agreement and Northern Ireland peace, not about winners or losers between the UK/EU. If the arrangements currently in place under the Protocol aren't working to the purpose intended (whether due to issues at the Irish border OR the Irish Sea border) then it is encumbent on both sides to adapt and be flexible to revise them.

(Legally) enforcing the agreement as written won't help it meet its purpose if it doesn't work.
    You're right, of course, but the Irish border and NI peace has only ever been a useful tool for the EU to try and trap the UK into vassalage. That's the lens with which the EU views the border, how best to use it to hurt the UK, they clearly give no fucks about NI peace and ensuring separatists and loyalists are both content with the arrangements.

Ultimately they could have done away with the sea border entirely and just lived with a very small open border with the UK on the island of Ireland. Instead they chose this overly legalistic approach to create as much difficulty for the UK government as possible to extricate itself from the EU.

I don't understand the issues of NI, I've read some pieces from people who do we they all say that the NI protocol threatens the peace in NI so for that reason it either needs to be rewritten or just junked entirely. The last thing we need is a resurgence of bombs and people dying over a conflict that has been settled fir 20+ years.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

AnneJGP said:

Good morning, everybody.
    I believe the IndyRef Bill will be presented shortly. I imagine SNP are keen to disrupt the sleaze/arrogance narrative that is building up following Salmond/Sturgeon and the repeated withholding of evidence - and re-energise their base.

Of course, we still have the Salmond inquiry report to come, Hamilton's conclusions on whether Sturgeon broke the ministerial code, and Tory a VONC in Sturgeon. Plus possibility of LibDem sponsored VONC in Swinney over non-release of OECD report on education.

So lots more to look forward to...Enjoy
    Bit more on this:
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-faces-vote-no-23727497
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited March 2021

It is poison.

Animal poo seemed to be the most divisive topic when I lived back in Killamarsh.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    alex_ said:

At the heart of the Blair proposal is equivalence agreement on SPS - ag/food.
    Much of the rest of it is the sentiment that politicians ought to play more nicely; good luck and all that.

The question is whether equivalence on SPS crosses a red lines or lines, and whose. Ireland cannot be resolved until some of NI, RoI, UK and EU alter their red lines, as the present agreement (which is an elaborate ruse) is the best that can be done within them.

• Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

I know, you're embarrassed. I won't rub it in.
    I'm embarrassed on your behalf. You think the UK would have been so craven as not to be able to stand up to the mighty EU when that is in effect exactly what happened.

Sure the EU were mega-dicks about much over the past few weeks but what consistently surprises me is the lack of confidence you Brexiters have over the UK's ability to forge its own path within or indeed outside EU membership. Perhaps it's only a PB thing.

You say you are a unionist. Then have some pride in what "your" country can achieve.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

DougSeal said:

Try this. The EU has a huge issue with self-importance. For example, it demands we take their "Ambassador". That we won't really grates with them.

We go through a messy divorce, a divorce that really, really hurts that sense of self importance. It has put back their Project. Worse still, at the first big post-divorce test of arm-wrestling, we don't so much smash their arm to the table, as rip it off and wave it around. The post-Brexit UK has really got under their skin. Unlike the vaccines. "We are the EU - how can we not be first in line for vaccines? Something must be done! Kneel down, suppliers, before our sense of entitlement."

So the EU tells a bit of a fib - that we are cheating on contracts to supply the UK first. See, it says here in the contracts... OK, so it doesn't. But they must still be cheating. They must be exporting what is rightly OUR stuff to get ahead of us. Jesus - the Brits have vaxxed HOW MANY? So we will put in place measures to ban it being exported. Hah! That will show them!"

"What "border down the middle of Ireland"? What "Good Friday Agreement"? Bollocks....well, say it was just an idea we were kicking around, it wasn't actually implemented....oh, it was implemented?. Bollocks."

"Thank you, Mr President, yes "quasi-ineffective", great line.... He does know we do actually WANT these vaccines doesn't he. Oh, really?....We don't? They don't work. Hmmm. You sure? Because the Brits are looking very healthy. The are even booking holidays...God, I'd love a holiday."

"It's OK, the EMA can get it back on tra....oh, nobody is listening to them? Nobody is listening to us? They have stopped using the AZ vaccine? What, even Germany? Especially Germany? Whilst the UK are continuing to - HOW FUCKING MANY? Jesus, at this rate the only people left alive in Europe are going to be the fucking over-fifty year old Brexiteers..."

"It is clear what Brussels needs. More power to end this shit show. No, I really DIDN'T start this shit show, thank you. For that, you can go and man a border post in Northern Ireland. Oh. Really? Burnt down, you say? Why? It was an entirely workable arrangement. JEEEEEZUS - "BBC: Boris Johnson has given everyone a jab with an Easter egg with his face on it"? Shameless. Fucking shameless.... So, tell me about this aid package of Sputnik jabs from Vladimir. What "gas pipeline"...?"

And so the EU soap ambles on a for few more episodes.
    We've left, mate. Hundreds of words about the EU. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Politics, scapegoating and cowardice among politicians
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited March 2021
    "There's no proof the Oxford vaccine causes blood clots. So why are people worried?
    David Spiegelhalter
    It’s human nature to spot patterns in data. But we should be careful about finding causal links where none may exist"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/15/evidence-oxford-vaccine-blood-clots-data-causal-links
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

alex_ said:

At the heart of the Blair proposal is equivalence agreement on SPS - ag/food.
    Much of the rest of it is the sentiment that politicians ought to play more nicely; good luck and all that.

The question is whether equivalence on SPS crosses a red lines or lines, and whose. Ireland cannot be resolved until some of NI, RoI, UK and EU alter their red lines, as the present agreement (which is an elaborate ruse) is the best that can be done within them.

What impact, for example, does SPS have on UK use of GM or GE food if we wish to adopt a more reasoned position than the EU effective outright ban on GM production?

What on standards about the ban on cruel production such as traditional Foie Gras?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

TOPPING said:

It is poison.

What have you done now?

I don't want my phone buzzing night and day from a few Victor Meldrew's who use it to pursue very petty grievances and vendettas and be sucked into it.
    Well imo you should ask those that you are hearing this stuff from for the actual evidence. In my experience just about every local whatsapp group is populated by thougthful, generous people. Plus they are a good source of local info ("is the BXXXX still closed by XXXXton after the flooding?")

Local paper discussion forums, however....sheesh....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

DougSeal said:

Try this. The EU has a huge issue with self-importance. For example, it demands we take their "Ambassador". That we won't really grates with them.

We go through a messy divorce, a divorce that really, really hurts that sense of self importance. It has put back their Project. Worse still, at the first big post-divorce test of arm-wrestling, we don't so much smash their arm to the table, as rip it off and wave it around. The post-Brexit UK has really got under their skin. Unlike the vaccines. "We are the EU - how can we not be first in line for vaccines? Something must be done! Kneel down, suppliers, before our sense of entitlement."

So the EU tells a bit of a fib - that we are cheating on contracts to supply the UK first. See, it says here in the contracts... OK, so it doesn't. But they must still be cheating. They must be exporting what is rightly OUR stuff to get ahead of us. Jesus - the Brits have vaxxed HOW MANY? So we will put in place measures to ban it being exported. Hah! That will show them!"

"What "border down the middle of Ireland"? What "Good Friday Agreement"? Bollocks....well, say it was just an idea we were kicking around, it wasn't actually implemented....oh, it was implemented?. Bollocks."

"Thank you, Mr President, yes "quasi-ineffective", great line.... He does know we do actually WANT these vaccines doesn't he. Oh, really?....We don't? They don't work. Hmmm. You sure? Because the Brits are looking very healthy. The are even booking holidays...God, I'd love a holiday."

"It's OK, the EMA can get it back on tra....oh, nobody is listening to them? Nobody is listening to us? They have stopped using the AZ vaccine? What, even Germany? Especially Germany? Whilst the UK are continuing to - HOW FUCKING MANY? Jesus, at this rate the only people left alive in Europe are going to be the fucking over-fifty year old Brexiteers..."

"It is clear what Brussels needs. More power to end this shit show. No, I really DIDN'T start this shit show, thank you. For that, you can go and man a border post in Northern Ireland. Oh. Really? Burnt down, you say? Why? It was an entirely workable arrangement. JEEEEEZUS - "BBC: Boris Johnson has given everyone a jab with an Easter egg with his face on it"? Shameless. Fucking shameless.... So, tell me about this aid package of Sputnik jabs from Vladimir. What "gas pipeline"...?"

We've left, mate. Hundreds of words about the EU. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.
    BDS.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

Seems a good idea to me.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

DougSeal said:

BDS.
    Absobloodylutely.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

TimS said:

Interesting point.

My own view is coloured partly by the two opposite extremes on offer. One can die of Covid19, one can die from a blood clot. Given a choice I think death via blood clot sounds the better option.
    But the blood clot route is far, far, far less likely to happen.

What do you mean, you want your money back?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

It is poison.

Ours went fucking bonkers when I called the parish council 'Stinking Strasserite C*nts'.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455
    The AZN domino bans just show the lack of (metaphorical) balls in regulators/ministers across many nations. The easy thing to do is to be "cautious" and, if another country has suspended use, also suspend use. If there is a link between AZN and blood clots then you're a hero (spoiler: the evidence says there really isn't) and if there isn't then you won't be widely criticised either as it's hard to pin down exactly who you have killed. If you don't suspend then you'll get little credit if all is well and be crucified if a problem is found.

If you care about your population, then the right thing to do is to continue - there will definitely be more deaths if you suspend. If you care about your career then, sadly, the smart thing to do might be to suspend.

If the populations of these countries want to be well served by their politicians/regulators then they need to make sure those taking the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons are thrown out of office. The oppositions should be keeping a running tally of deaths attributable to suspension and using it at every opportunity.
  • Options
    Lol, on checking the spelling of hand shandy, I discover this.

Mar 14 Word of the Day
    vaxhole
    One who has been fully vaccinated for the COVID-19 virus and brags about it.
    Two weeks after the second shot and that vaxhole is posting selfies from a Cancun bar.
  • Options

Seems a good idea to me.
    Whilst you can't sue on a Manifesto promise - can the SNP be sued if the don't deliver a pledge on a ballot slip? It is a much more direct contract....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

TOPPING said:

It is poison.

What have you done now?

When we moved to Colchester we joined the local area Whatsap group.

In a way it was hilarious - in other ways it was so bloody childish

It has great moderators now though so all the silly pettiness is out and it's just a useful informatino sharing platform.

But to start with it was toxic and I know one family who had a dispute with their neighbours getting other friends to pile on in the group.

Thanks god that part is over now
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    tlg86 said:

It is poison.

I half heard something on the radio about non-disclosure agreements as part of the deal for fixing faults on new build houses.

To which my immediate thought was, "so there are further depths for building developers to plumb."
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I'd go further than that.

The "stated purpose" of the protocol is to "protect the Good Friday Agreement and Northern Ireland Peace"

The problem is that the GFA doesn't work any more because of the fact that the UK and RoI are not both in the EU.

Therefore binding fast to the GFA will actively undermine peace.

What you need to do is to look at the problem that the GFA was designed to solve and come up with a new solution. But it should be negotiated between RoI and the UK (and NI) because they understand the facts on the ground better than a superannuated European politician or career bureaucrat
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

You wilfully miss the point. The EMA provides advice to the member states national health agencies who then make the national decision. There is no big bad EU dictating to members to stop using the Oxford jag - members are free to make their own decisions as they are.

That "the EU" keeps getting the blame is what is funny - it isn't the EU dictating to Italy to impound vials or Ireland to say "careful now" on national TV or Belgium to say "we're continuing with our vaccination programme".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    edited March 2021
    tlg86 said:

It is poison.

People have a poor understanding of how developments are approved, and local politicians even at parish level have a vested interest in over selling their ability to influence such developments, leading to a lot more anger and obsession than would already exist when things start, especially given some impacts that can arise, especially with crappy developers and poor infrastructure issues
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It is poison.

A tip for everyone. Don’t use WhatsApp, deleting it was the best thing I did last year.
    Social media controls you. Not the other way round.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It is poison.

What have you done now?

Here in the Central Buchan countryside my village has a thriving community Facebook group which is remarkably calm and sane and community focused.

No, I don't get it either. Such things have always been hate pits when I have followed them elsewhere.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

In the Venn diagram of Brexiteers who despite the UK having left the EU seem compelled to post endlessly about the institution and Royalists who believe H&M are self-publicising narcissists who should be ignored yet seem compelled to post endlessly about their activities, I wonder how big a number would be in the intersection of those two sets?
This discussion has been closed.