Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tonight’s big political bet – how many Senators will vote to impeach Trump? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,038
    Trump can now run again in 2024 if he chooses

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1360692544141729797?s=20
  • Options

Off topic - had an entertaining afternoon going shopping. Back in Thornaby a trip to Lidl was a 10 minute walk, now its a 15 minute drive.

Or it would be without the wind blowing the snow off the fields onto the road. A couple of bad patches on the way into Broch (Fraserborough) on the back road, but nothing bad. The way back up the A98? Chaos. Managed to briefly beach myself on a snow pile when I had to get out of the single file track for passing traffic.

Then the fun really began. A truck that was properly stuck. Tractor comes to plow a route round it, various cars come the other way then our line of traffic goes round the truck. A mile later its all stop again as a woman turning into her farm gets beached. We all dig her off to clear the road. Then we all get stuck as the snow blasts off the field.

A couple of hours of community digging and a few moves forward and eventually someone with a tractor and bucket arrives - we get dug out and manage to go forward. Was all of a mile and a half from home at the time. Was great fun!

It does sound like fun, considering that everyone (apparently) survived.

By coincidence, here in Seattle just got done shoveling (or rather sweeping) new snow off my porch and entryway to my humble abode. Only a few inches on the porch (because I did it earlier this morning) but over half foot on the walkway.

Ventured out earlier to get some groceries & etc., conveniently local coffee shop, bakery and supermarket all open for business. Inconveniently, had to slog though ten blocks of snow there and back, making sure to dodge the cars on the arterials (is your trip REALLY necessary) and sleds ridden by eager kids on the back streets.

Snow appears to be tapering off as per forecast, but temp is just below freezing at almost 1pm and is NOT likely to warm up before nightfall. So limited melting over next few days, which all-in-all is a good thing because it lowers risk of flooding, especially outside the city where the snow totals are greater.

We lucked out that this storm didn't get going until AFTER the Friday afternoon rush hour. Though I am a bit concerned for a friend of mine, who is scheduled to get her 2nd Pfizer vaccination on Monday.

Anyway, thanks for sharing you experience, Roch!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,244

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:
    Waste of time Starmer banging on about Brexit failures, that is criticising the electorate. He is better off being positive on a post Brexit, post Covid plan.

I would take a five point deficit at the moment. I think the deficit will increase. However by the summer it should be close again.
    SKS still has to deal with the problem that the Tories basically are the one and only party of those who, whatever their starting point, are now psychologically comfortable and prepared to be progressive and if needed aggressive about Brexit.

Labour are one of a several parties competing for key votes among the rest. Although they could be a majority of the population they are not united in terms of party (ex hypothesi) or, crucially, aim. No single vision unites them, and can't. Some want to refight. Some to complain. Some to find fault. Some to split the union. Some want to soften the effect by renegotiation. Some want to join EFTA (like me!). And so on.

SKS has real difficulties standing anywhere because the moment he does he opens up ground to the minor parties and splits his own ranks.

It is the mirror image of the recent situation for Brexiteers. Lots wanted Brexit but there were 6 different meanings to it. Remain meant only one thing. Now Brexit has one meaning only. Opposition to this Brexit government has 10 different meanings.

Some Blair quality leadership is needed urgently.

SKS was the guy who tried every trick to have the UK Parliament overthrow the Brexit vote. The vote where the people had their say on the EU. He is the embodiment of everything about the system that stops votes actually meaning anything.

Up against Boris, who embodies everything about delivering that vote.

Which position do you think plays best in the word of Red Wall?

Starmer's world of pain is yet to descend.
    Thank you Lord Astor.
  • Options
    If only Trump still had twitter, he would be firing those tweets off left, right and centre at the moment.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In some good news for Starmer, Labour leads 53% to 36% in Tory gains in 2019 and 47% to 33% in Labour holds in 2019.

The Tories lead 50% to 34% in Tory holds in 2019

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/VI-2021-02-11-Observer-Data-Tables-v2.xlsx

Gosh. That's consistent with the "lose some on the left but gain more in the centre" theory, isn't it? Basically winning where he needs to win.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    British scientists are developing a 'universal Covid-19 vaccine' that would effectively beat all variants of the virus and could be ready in as little as a year.

Researchers at Nottingham University are working on a jab that targets the core of the disease - rather than the spike protein - because it is less likely to mutate.

They are targeting a protein in the virus' core called the nucleocapsid, as well as the spike protein.

The scientists will launch human trials later this year following promising test results done on mice. Early signs suggest their DNA-based product gives a strong antibody and T-cell response.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9257405/British-scientists-developing-universal-Covid-jab-beat-variants.html
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,331
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:
    Waste of time Starmer banging on about Brexit failures, that is criticising the electorate. He is better off being positive on a post Brexit, post Covid plan.

I would take a five point deficit at the moment. I think the deficit will increase. However by the summer it should be close again.
    SKS still has to deal with the problem that the Tories basically are the one and only party of those who, whatever their starting point, are now psychologically comfortable and prepared to be progressive and if needed aggressive about Brexit.

Labour are one of a several parties competing for key votes among the rest. Although they could be a majority of the population they are not united in terms of party (ex hypothesi) or, crucially, aim. No single vision unites them, and can't. Some want to refight. Some to complain. Some to find fault. Some to split the union. Some want to soften the effect by renegotiation. Some want to join EFTA (like me!). And so on.

SKS has real difficulties standing anywhere because the moment he does he opens up ground to the minor parties and splits his own ranks.

It is the mirror image of the recent situation for Brexiteers. Lots wanted Brexit but there were 6 different meanings to it. Remain meant only one thing. Now Brexit has one meaning only. Opposition to this Brexit government has 10 different meanings.

Astute and perceptive. There is no obvious ground for the Left to unite upon, when the government itself is borrowing like Corbyn on Ketamine
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I would suggest the only reasonable answer to the question posed by OGH is 'Not Enough'.

America will never start to heal as long as Trump is loitering in the wings threatening a return and poisoning the debate as he surely will for the next 4 years. The best way to stop that is for the impeachment to succeed and Trump to be banned from ever holding elected office again.

Sadly it won't happen.

Most of the GOP Senators will not vote to convict him though as the vast majority of GOP representatives voted against impeachment as it would split the party apart and either lead to most of them being primaried or Trump starting his own party and splitting the right in the US
    Odd sort of jury. They're supposed to confine themselves to the evidence.
    Let's be honest, there is no conceivable argument the defence could make that would result in material numbers of Democrats voting to acquit, is there?

Which is not to disagree with the point being made. But simply to say that US politics has long since ceased to even pretend that these proceedings can possibly be non-partisan.
    When the impeachment procedure was written into the US Constitution the impeachment of Warren Hastings (articles raised in the Commons, trial before the Lords) was happening. He was acquitted but some of the superb oratory by, amongst others, Sheridan, was reported extensively in the States. The Senate was supposed to combine the virtue of a Republic with the wisdom of a Patrician class. It’s not ended well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

57 guilty 43 not guilty, so a majority of Senators vote to convict Trump but he is acquitted as less than 2/3 voted to convict.

7 Republicans voted to convict

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1360692317284368388?s=20

One more than I predicted.

I suspect HY, there is a fair amount of water to float down the sewer , including all sorts of litigation, before 2024.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155

British scientists are developing a 'universal Covid-19 vaccine' that would effectively beat all variants of the virus and could be ready in as little as a year.

Researchers at Nottingham University are working on a jab that targets the core of the disease - rather than the spike protein - because it is less likely to mutate.

They are targeting a protein in the virus' core called the nucleocapsid, as well as the spike protein.

The scientists will launch human trials later this year following promising test results done on mice. Early signs suggest their DNA-based product gives a strong antibody and T-cell response.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9257405/British-scientists-developing-universal-Covid-jab-beat-variants.html

Clever chaps.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited February 2021
    My best friend had the AZ vaccine on Friday and feels really poorly today. She reports that a lot of her colleagues felt pretty poorly the day after as well.

It is a good sign though, means its doing something!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A total disaster for the American republic, although no surprise. He will stand unless ill-health intervenes. If he wins a second time then god alone knows, but I suspect civil war or at least successions from the union.

There's a word for these spineless GOP senator enablers but it is not suitable for a family blog.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

It does look a two-horse race and I'd probably be in the 52-54 range with Romney and Collins and perhaps Cheney and Murkowski the only dissenters from the pro-Trump view. As @rcs1000 opines, there may be some abstentions but it's such a clear dividing line I don't see many if any going down that route.

It's a salutary lesson parties need to lose big to change big - if you lose small you tend to change small. That of curse assumes the appetite to change exists and of course the process of change can take a long or short time depending on both internal and external factors.

The GOP lost small and is in no mood to change - it's paradoxically not that far removed from Labour after 2017 in believing they nearly won and will win next time. I suspect the GOP will have to learn the same lesson the hard way as Labour did here.

Will the Republicans lose big next time though?
    Depends if they pick Pence or Haley, in which case probably not, or Cruz or Hawley, in which case they may well do.

Concur with that, with two caveats"

1. Haley would be a better choice for the non-treasonous wing of the Republican Party, among other assets she is LESS provocative and problematic for pro-Trumpskites.

2. Suspect that the Putinist branch will NOT end up with either "Keep Calm" Cruz or "Bloody Hands" Hawley, for the same reason viz-a-viz the other side of the GOP divide.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    HYUFD said:

Trump may have defied the Senate once again, but who knows if he can overcome the biggest obstacle to his return to power: three solid years of Big Macs, french fries, and chocolate milkshakes...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708

My best friend had the AZ vaccine on Friday and feels really poorly today. She reports that a lot of her colleagues felt pretty poorly the day after as well.

I think I read somewhere (maybe on here?) that if you've had covid previously, even without knowing it, the covid vaccinations can make you feel poorly.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Trump may have defied the Senate once again, but who knows if he can overcome the biggest obstacle to his return to power: three solid years of Big Macs, french fries, and chocolate milkshakes...
    In God we trust...
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Clever chaps.
    Macron will denounce it as voodoo British science
  • Options

Without wishing to come over all French, two day manflu seems quite common.
    It's a pretty Route One Vaccine.
    Still deffo worth it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,347
    edited February 2021

HYUFD said:

In some good news for Starmer, Labour leads 53% to 36% in Tory gains in 2019 and 47% to 33% in Labour holds in 2019.

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/VI-2021-02-11-Observer-Data-Tables-v2.xlsx

Gosh. That's consistent with the "lose some on the left but gain more in the centre" theory, isn't it? Basically winning where he needs to win.
    Quite an interesting poll in other ways too. People think that on the whole the Government has handled the pandemic badly, but give them credit for handling vaccination well; they think Labour would have managed vaccination similarly, though. The big Tory edge remains management of the economy.

We shall see whether that continues. In non-political findings, generally still a feeling that the pandemic hasn't been treated seriously enough, and most people not reporting that the lockdown has harmed them greatly - a surprising number feel it's done them good in various ways.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

HYUFD said:

A total disaster for the American republic, although no surprise. He will stand unless ill-health intervenes. If he wins a second time then god alone knows, but I suspect civil war or at least successions from the union.

There's a word for these spineless GOP senator enablers but it is not suitable for a family blog.
    What I think of these idiots would probably get me put on a list.

Worse people than Trump will in the future benefit from GOP cowardice today.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,609

Off topic - had an entertaining afternoon going shopping. Back in Thornaby a trip to Lidl was a 10 minute walk, now its a 15 minute drive.

Or it would be without the wind blowing the snow off the fields onto the road. A couple of bad patches on the way into Broch (Fraserborough) on the back road, but nothing bad. The way back up the A98? Chaos. Managed to briefly beach myself on a snow pile when I had to get out of the single file track for passing traffic.

Then the fun really began. A truck that was properly stuck. Tractor comes to plow a route round it, various cars come the other way then our line of traffic goes round the truck. A mile later its all stop again as a woman turning into her farm gets beached. We all dig her off to clear the road. Then we all get stuck as the snow blasts off the field.

A couple of hours of community digging and a few moves forward and eventually someone with a tractor and bucket arrives - we get dug out and manage to go forward. Was all of a mile and a half from home at the time. Was great fun!

It does sound like fun, considering that everyone (apparently) survived.

By coincidence, here in Seattle just got done shoveling (or rather sweeping) new snow off my porch and entryway to my humble abode. Only a few inches on the porch (because I did it earlier this morning) but over half foot on the walkway.

Ventured out earlier to get some groceries & etc., conveniently local coffee shop, bakery and supermarket all open for business. Inconveniently, had to slog though ten blocks of snow there and back, making sure to dodge the cars on the arterials (is your trip REALLY necessary) and sleds ridden by eager kids on the back streets.

Snow appears to be tapering off as per forecast, but temp is just below freezing at almost 1pm and is NOT likely to warm up before nightfall. So limited melting over next few days, which all-in-all is a good thing because it lowers risk of flooding, especially outside the city where the snow totals are greater.

We lucked out that this storm didn't get going until AFTER the Friday afternoon rush hour. Though I am a bit concerned for a friend of mine, who is scheduled to get her 2nd Pfizer vaccination on Monday.

Anyway, thanks for sharing you experience, Roch!
    To make friends you need a minidigger and a Landy to tow it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,347
    HYUFD said:

57 guilty 43 not guilty, so a majority of Senators vote to convict Trump but he is acquitted as less than 2/3 voted to convict.

Really pretty brave. It was obviously not going to work, so they put their careers on the line for the principle.

In Britain, people like that would cross the floor, but that seems really rare in the States -it'd be interesting to hear from SSI why that is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Very interesting.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Maybe we should crowdfund a regular supply of Deliveroos.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

My mum had AZ and didn't experience any side effects.
  • Options
    Senate breakdown

50 Democrats
    7 Republicans
    37 weak Reek Republicans
    6 QAnon
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    HYUFD said:

Full poll details, Greens on 5% and just 1% behind the LDs on 6%
    https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1360680391883980800?s=20

On EMA. Tories 3 points ahead of Labour.
    Two short of overall majority.
    Back to where they were last September.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Whether Trump will run again is not really the issue (I suspect he won’t in the end - at least one of poor health, bankruptcy, or imprisonment will probably prevent that). The point is that the Republicans can no longer claim to be guided by democratic norms - and it’s difficult to see how they come back from that. The footage of the attack on the Capitol will feature in pretty much every Democrat’s election pitch from now on.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

BBC News - Covid: South Africa variant found in Hampshire village
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56053845

That’s worrying close to my Mum
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Really pretty brave. It was obviously not going to work, so they put their careers on the line for the principle.

In Britain, people like that would cross the floor, but that seems really rare in the States -it'd be interesting to hear from SSI why that is.
    It might still happen. Murkowski or Collins?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

With a 5 point lead and Labour invisible in Scotland, the Tories would have a majority on that poll. Computer Error
  • Options

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Make sure you don’t hit the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment nearby...
  • Options
    Good speech by McConnell now which begs the question why he Acquitted Trump. He knows he was guilty.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,653

I think I read somewhere (maybe on here?) that if you've had covid previously, even without knowing it, the covid vaccinations can make you feel poorly.
    A friend of mine had the AZ, has had covid and was very unwell after the vaccine, but only for a few hours.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

With a 5 point lead and Labour invisible in Scotland, the Tories would have a majority on that poll. Computer Error
    I'm using an exponential moving average (EMA) not a single poll.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited February 2021
    HYUFD said:

Yes, and even if he’s convicted of and jailed for say tax fraud, he could still run in principle, but might have legal issues getting ballot access. Even then he could potentially win as a write-in! However, if he ends up being convicted of criminal charges w.r.t. the insurrection, there’d be a strong case that the 14th Amendment would bar him from future office.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Clever chaps.
    Macron will denounce it as voodoo British science
    They won't order any in the first place as they will be too busy haggling with the Moroccan guy over a nice rug....
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Charles said:

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Make sure you don’t hit the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment nearby...
    A trifling detail.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It might still happen. Murkowski or Collins?
    Collins no. Murkowski unlikely but not impossible. She did get primaried once before but still retained her Senate seat by running as an Independent write-in candidate. That could happen again, and I don’t know that she’d be so ready to stay in the Republican caucus if it did.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

I'm using an exponential moving average (EMA) not a single poll.
    If there was an election now, the Tories would win a majority.

In 2024? After the plague-recession unwinds, and we see the damage of the debt? God knows

And that's presuming the pandemic doesn't take yet another turn for the worse
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I would suggest the only reasonable answer to the question posed by OGH is 'Not Enough'.

America will never start to heal as long as Trump is loitering in the wings threatening a return and poisoning the debate as he surely will for the next 4 years. The best way to stop that is for the impeachment to succeed and Trump to be banned from ever holding elected office again.

Sadly it won't happen.

Most of the GOP Senators will not vote to convict him though as the vast majority of GOP representatives voted against impeachment as it would split the party apart and either lead to most of them being primaried or Trump starting his own party and splitting the right in the US
    Odd sort of jury. They're supposed to confine themselves to the evidence.
    Let's be honest, there is no conceivable argument the defence could make that would result in material numbers of Democrats voting to acquit, is there?

Which is not to disagree with the point being made. But simply to say that US politics has long since ceased to even pretend that these proceedings can possibly be non-partisan.
    Maybe impeachments should be heard by the SCOTUS?
    That'd take a constitutional amendment though lol
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,038
    Leon said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

However they might also need DUP support which would not be guaranteed as in 2017, they may prefer a softer Brexit for the whole UK under Starmer than a border in the Irish Sea
  • Options
    Leon said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

The average will be lagging a bit, but it shows how tight the margins are.

Conservatives +5 gets them a majority (though possibly a Major '92 majority... Electoral calculus on 42-37 gives a Conservative majority of 24; let's assume that boundary changes and not having Corbynites running the campaign as badly as they did cancel out.)
    Conservatives +3 gives a hellishly hung parliament.
    Conservatives +1 makes Lab-Lib-SNP sort of work.

There's a lot still to play for.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

My mum had AZ and didn't experience any side effects.
    Same here with my mum, though she had aches and pains a week later - could be unrelated.
  • Options
    Republican split nailed on?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2021
    The storming of the Capitol obviously had nothing to do with a mob in Farage's mind, ofcourse. What a deeply inadequate and dangerous man he is, and yet the single most important figure behind this country's most important decision in 50 years.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

On new boundaries? Tory majority.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

It does look a two-horse race and I'd probably be in the 52-54 range with Romney and Collins and perhaps Cheney and Murkowski the only dissenters from the pro-Trump view. As @rcs1000 opines, there may be some abstentions but it's such a clear dividing line I don't see many if any going down that route.

It's a salutary lesson parties need to lose big to change big - if you lose small you tend to change small. That of curse assumes the appetite to change exists and of course the process of change can take a long or short time depending on both internal and external factors.

The GOP lost small and is in no mood to change - it's paradoxically not that far removed from Labour after 2017 in believing they nearly won and will win next time. I suspect the GOP will have to learn the same lesson the hard way as Labour did here.

Depends if they pick Pence or Haley, in which case probably not, or Cruz or Hawley, in which case they may well do.

1. Haley would be a better choice for the non-treasonous wing of the Republican Party, among other assets she is LESS provocative and problematic for pro-Trumpskites.

2. Suspect that the Putinist branch will NOT end up with either "Keep Calm" Cruz or "Bloody Hands" Hawley, for the same reason viz-a-viz the other side of the GOP divide.
    I’m a fan of Nikki’s. my wife dislikes her - thinks she sold out to Trump.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

SKS was the guy who tried every trick to have the UK Parliament overthrow the Brexit vote. The vote where the people had their say on the EU. He is the embodiment of everything about the system that stops votes actually meaning anything.

Up against Boris, who embodies everything about delivering that vote.

Which position do you think plays best in the word of Red Wall?

Starmer's world of pain is yet to descend.
    Thank you Lord Astor.
    Just because I would say that, don't make it wrong.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

However they might also need DUP support which would not be guaranteed as in 2017, they may prefer a softer Brexit for the whole UK under Starmer than a border in the Irish Sea
    DUP support will be there. It's just that the price tag went up.
  • Options
    Observer can't just write a going well headline....

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1360698860813897731?s=20
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, and even if he’s convicted of and jailed for say tax fraud, he could still run in principle, but might have legal issues getting ballot access. Even then he could potentially win as a write-in! However, if he ends up being convicted of criminal charges w.r.t. the insurrection, there’d be a strong article the 14th Amendment would bar him from future office.
    Note that in 1920, the Socialist Party candidate for POTUS was Eugene V. Debs, then serving a ten-year sentence in the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary, after being convicted of sedition during World War One. Lost (of course) BUT garnered nearly a million votes in the process. AND had perhaps the greatest campaign button of all time: "For President - Convict No. 9653.

Further note that Debs could NOT vote in 1920, or in subsequent elections, as a convicted, un-pardoned felon.

Interesting, in context of You-Know-Who's 2nd trial on articles of impeachment, that Debs was charged and convicted for giving a speech (in his case in Canton, Ohio in 1918) which did NOT advocate violence, let alone overthrowing the Constitution. Instead, EVD spoke against American's entry into World War One and urged resistance to the military draft.

Also note that, a year after the 1920 election, Debs's sentence was commuted by opponent, President Warren Harding.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I thought BBC journos were supposed to be taming down their political stances on twitter? I am not saying his take is wrong, but my understanding was they were supposed to be keeping their opinions to themselves.

https://twitter.com/NickBryantNY/status/1360693180493135876?s=20
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited February 2021
    An undersea tunnel, possibly dubbed “Boris’ burrow”, between Great Britain and Northern Ireland could get the green light as early next month

Via @Telegraph

..at least we’ll all have this to look forward to
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    There was a link yesterday to polling saying 15% of Republicans thought Trump should be convicted. 7/50 makes a bit of sense as a result.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Observer can't just write a going well headline....

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1360698860813897731?s=20

Well, newspapers have their political bents, don't they?

If Matt Hancock personally developed a 100% effective, proven cure for cancer then the headline would be "Thrown on the scrapheap: brutal Tories put MacMillan nurses out of a job"
  • Options

I thought BBC journos were supposed to be taming down their political stances on twitter? I am not saying his take is wrong, but my understanding was they were supposed to be keeping their opinions to themselves.

Maybe - it has been pretty uncontroversial that they are afraid of his base, though it is unequivocal he thinks Trump as guilty. But for a British audience that's probably accepted as nearly non political.
  • Options

An undersea tunnel, possibly dubbed “Boris’ burrow”, between Great Britain and Northern Ireland could get the green light as early next month

Via @Telegraph

..at least we’ll all that this to look forward to

But where will the border be?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    kjh said:

A friend of mine had the AZ, has had covid and was very unwell after the vaccine, but only for a few hours.
    I would regard some sort of modest reaction after an immunisation as a good thing. It shows that the immune system is working.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    edited February 2021
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Am also a fan (though NOT enough to vote for her) but do see where your wife is coming from, as a person of principle who is NOT a politico.

Though don't think "sold out" is quite right, more like Haley has kept her (barge-pole) distance while making sure NOT to break with You-Know-Who.

Sort of like Mitt Romney when he thought - for a brief if not shining moment- that he might end up as Trumpsky's Secretary of State
  • Options

Republican split nailed on?

It still seems pretty united, so what level counts as a split? I assume they are still hoping legal issues get in Trump's way now.
  • Options

It's a factual reporting from another country.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

Maybe - it has been pretty uncontroversial that they are afraid of his base, though it is unequivocal he thinks Trump as guilty. But for a British audience that's probably accepted as nearly non political.
    He has technically just been found not guilty of the exact charge the journalist claims he is unequivocally guilty of....that was my point.
  • Options

Via @Telegraph

I've heard that would be en expensive, technical nightmare. But I don't think anyone cares about the cost of things anymore in fairness.
  • Options

Via @Telegraph

That's the DUPs price for future support, right there.

Looks like they got a down payment.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Given it's been described as a political process rather than a legal one, hence it being a congressional thing, it's pretty funny to essentially say he's guilty but rely on legal technicalities to avoid taking action.

I think it is pretty clear a lot of Senators think impeachment, as a process, is unacceptable, so why don't they just remoev it already (yes I know constitutional changes are difficult).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

I've heard that would be en expensive, technical nightmare. But I don't think anyone cares about the cost of things anymore in fairness.
    Lockdown costs the country £11bn a week....its makes everything in comparison seem good value.
  • Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Am also a fan (though NOT enough to vote for her) but do see where your wife is coming from, as a person of principle who is NOT a politico.

Though don't think "sold out" is quite right, more like Haley has kept her (barge-pole) distance while making sure NOT to break with You-Know-Who.

Sort of like Mitt Romney when he thought - for a brief if not shining moment- that he might end up as Trumpsky's Secretary of State
    She thinks Nikki was too keen to
    back Trump in the primary. I remember she backed at least 2 others first, but then I was always the forgiving sort
  • Options

kle4 said:

He has technically just been found not guilty of the exact charge the journalist claims he is unequivocally guilty of....that was my point.
    That's why I noted he has expressed he thinks Trump is guilty, so you were right it is technically political. I was suggesting that it's probably a much more common view this side of the pond and so not as controversially political.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The journalist says he was acquitted.

Anyway it matches what Trump himself said. “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters,”
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

It probably is. But I guess that tends to be the argument when attempting something genuinely big - Does anyone remember the arguments re. The channel tunnel?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    This speech by McConnell.

Absolute wow.

What a coward. He wants trump convicted but too scared to do it himself.

I didn't think my opinion of him could go any lower yet here I am.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, and even if he’s convicted of and jailed for say tax fraud, he could still run in principle, but might have legal issues getting ballot access. Even then he could potentially win as a write-in! However, if he ends up being convicted of criminal charges w.r.t. the insurrection, there’d be a strong case that the 14th Amendment would bar him from future office.
    Convicted in only 3.5 years? Seems unlikely given how he could stretch things out.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,257

If only Trump still had twitter, he would be firing those tweets off left, right and centre at the moment.

But he can't. What a shame.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

It probably is. But I guess that tends to be the argument when attempting something genuinely big - Does anyone remember the arguments re. The channel tunnel?
    But all the same, how do they propose to deal with the Beaufort Dyke problem?

It'd be easier to build a giant cannon and net on each side and fire stuff over the gap.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

I heard the cost of tunnelling has very significantly decreased since the Channel Tunnel. Still about a million tons of munitions in that trench above, so you are going to have to go REALLY deep - or around.

If you wanted a really funky project - but safer - try TWO tunnels. But with the Isle of Man in between them. And starting in Cumbria - cutting out Scotland, just in case it goes independent.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

But he can't. What a shame.
    On the other hand he might have been convicted if he'd been raving like a lunatic for the last month, so you get some positives and negatives.
  • Options

Via @Telegraph

So why pre-announce it now? Would it be overly cynical to anticipate a bit of a climbdown on the NI Protocol front?
  • Options

Via @Telegraph

An Antrim payment surely?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

I heard the cost of tunnelling has very significantly decreased since the Channel Tunnel. Still about a million tons of munitions in that trench above, so you are going to have to go REALLY deep - or around.

If you wanted a really funky project - but safer - try TWO tunnels. But with the Isle of Man in between them. And starting in Cumbria - cutting out Scotland, just in case it goes independent.

Why are we planning to dig a tunnel to NI when it is likely to be just full of queueing food lorries struggling to show all the correct paperwork to enter the single market?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,257

No chance Trump is the candidate in 2024.

The guy is an irrelevance.

Mark my words.

And mark my MONEY.
    I've laid him off the boards.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

Why are we planning to dig a tunnel to NI when it is likely to be just full of queueing food lorries struggling to show all the correct paperwork to enter the single market?
    I assume it'll never happen (given how long things take they wouldn't get out of the planning phase in this parliament), but it's just that Boris intended his premiership to be about 'levelling' up the country with big spending on infrastructure, and he wants to get that image back in peoples' heads with the elections in 3 months.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Absolute wow.

It is impossible to plumb the depths of low opinion where McConnell is concerned.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Absolute wow.

The man's 78 and probably not standing again, what did he have to lose by growing some balls?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

Gives a connection to the Manx too, that seems a great suggestion.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712

kle4 said:

Via @Telegraph

Put the customs posts on the IoM presumably. And quite a major spur off the M6.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

HYUFD said:

Sub-samples. Hmmmmmm...

When journalists make such clearly partisan comments they have zero credibility. With Fox and CNN this is pretty normal these days. From the BBC disappointing. Like the result or not - he has had a trial under the law of the constitution. Due process has I presume been followed. I think the big losers politically are the Republicans. I'd rather journalism was not added to the list.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

It's a factual reporting from another country.
    No it really is not factual reporting. It's as clear an expression of an opinion as you can get.
  • Options
    If we built two giant dams - one between Stranraer and Larne, and the other between Fishguard and Rosslare - then we could simply pump out the contents of the Irish Sea and create thousands of square miles of extra land. Roads and railways could then be built across it without any of this inconvenient tunnelling nonsense. Problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.