Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The longer the EU row goes on the better it is for Hancock and Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

malcolmg said:

Is that less than our Brexit Bonus. Seriously , anyone that posts something that Anas says is seriously stupid, the man is an idiot.
    But he's got the voters of Guernsey onside!
    He's also never conspired to get his party rivals thrown into jail, which is always a nice bonus.
    It's easy to see what you're pinning your hopes of saving the Union on.

Justice for Salmond!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

Charles said:

So much for being "the global laughing stock"......

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1356933140028289025?s=20

Worth bearing the old Egyptian saying in mind:

Why doesn't the sun set on the British Empire? Because God doesn't trust them in the dark!

The Arabs preferred:

It is better to be an enemy of the British than their friend. They buy their enemies - and sell their friends
    Interesting that the Egyptians are separated from the Arabs ...
    The comments were from the end of the 19th century/early 20th century when "Arabs" referred to inhabitants of Arabia rather than the wider definition that it has subsequently(?) developed.
    IANAE, but I'd have thought Egyptians today wouldn't think of themselves as Arabs, would they? Certainly in English I wouldn't think that the word Arab included them.
    Yes they would. That’s why they speak Arabic...
    So, you are saying that most Welsh are English...? 😀
    Why do you think the touchstone of Welsh nationalism (a few dimwitted hotheads aside) is not independence but defence of the Welsh language?

It is precisely because the anglicised Welsh are regarded, to quote one scholar on the subject, as ‘a sort of strange English people.’
    So, Scots and Irish are even more English! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
    Leaving aside the fact that you’re wandering off the point, which was that Egypt is an Arab nation and the most visible (well, audible) sign of this is the language, why do you suppose that it was commonplace for the UK to be called ‘England’ until well within living memory?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Probably the EU's secret space laser.
    First that raven went missing now this....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    The big take away from the press conference this evening, it is still going to be many months until we have vaccinanted sufficient number of people before the UK is safe from a big NHS crushing 3rd wave.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

An extra 81...next week another 100, then another 1000...it's Vietnam all over isn't it?

If the Scotland domino falls, it could be Wales next....
    Frankly, I've had my eye on the Isle of Man for some time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Edit - in any case, what you’ve quoted surely completely contradicts your original claim that Egyptians don’t think of themselves as Arabs!

Ooops - that edit was a reply to this post from Richard. Thread is behaving strangely and jumping about, and I must have hit the wrong one.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

Charles said:

Why doesn't the sun set on the British Empire? Because God doesn't trust them in the dark!

The Arabs preferred:

It is better to be an enemy of the British than their friend. They buy their enemies - and sell their friends
    The comments were from the end of the 19th century/early 20th century when "Arabs" referred to inhabitants of Arabia rather than the wider definition that it has subsequently(?) developed.
    IANAE, but I'd have thought Egyptians today wouldn't think of themselves as Arabs, would they? Certainly in English I wouldn't think that the word Arab included them.
    You mean, like the Irish speak English?
    If you are aware of a separate Egyptian language, please feel free to instruct me.

Egypt has been within the orbit of the Arab world for centuries, and Cairo was capital of one of the two Caliphates of Islam (the Fatimids) which was a pan-Arab empire. I have never heard, until today, any suggestion that its inhabitants were not considered Arabs, including by themselves.

Edit - incidentally its full official name is ‘The Arab Republic of Egypt.’
    I can't comment on what you've heard, but if you were a Guardian reader, for example, you might have come across this old article:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jul/08/egyptian-arab-cultural-identity

Or if you were to look in the Repository of All Human Knowledge, you'd have seen this:

Many Egyptians today feel that Egyptian and Arab identities are inextricably linked, and emphasize the central role that Egypt plays in the Arab world. Others continue to believe that Egypt and Egyptians are simply not Arab, emphasizing indigenous Egyptian heritage, culture and independent polity, pointing to the perceived failures of Arab and pan-Arab nationalist policies. Egyptian anthropologist Laila el-Hamamsy illustrates the modern-day relationship between the two trends, stating: "in light of their history, Egyptians ... should be conscious of their national identity and consider themselves, above all, Egyptians. How is the Egyptian, with this strong sense of Egyptian identity, able to look himself as an Arab too?"[124] Her explanation is that Egyptianization translated as Arabization with the result being "an increased tempo of Arabization, for facility in the Arabic language opened the windows into the rich legacy of Arabic culture. ... Thus in seeking a cultural identity, Egypt has revived its Arab cultural heritage."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptians#Nasserism

As for the Caliphates, are you suggesting Turks and Iranians regard themselves as Arabs?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

An extra 81...next week another 100, then another 1000...it's Vietnam all over isn't it?

Frankly, I've had my eye on the Isle of Man for some time.
    You have to keep them Peeled when it comes to Man.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    edited February 2021
    CNN - A Texas woman charged in connection with the Capitol insurrection has asked a federal judge to let her travel to Mexico for a "work-related bonding retreat," according to court records.

Jenny Cudd, a flower shop owner and unsuccessful mayoral candidate from Midland, wrote to a federal judge on Monday asking for permission to visit Riviera Maya, Mexico, for a four-day retreat this month. The court docket for her case doesn't yet show a response from the judge.

Meanwhile...

Hundreds of congressional staffers wrote an open letter to senators urging them to consider the trauma aides experienced during the deadly insurrection at the US Capitol and to convict former President Donald Trump "for our sake, and the sake of the country."
  • Options
    McKinsey really are rubbish.

McKinsey fires investment bank researchers after policy breaches

Exclusive: consultancy halts work at CIB Insights division pending review of ‘personnel matters’

McKinsey has fired or suspended several members of its investment banking research team as it investigates violations of its policies, in an embarrassing blow for the consultancy giant’s fledgling attempt to become a dominant provider of industry insights to Wall Street. 

Partners informed clients last week that the CIB Insights team, which sells data to corporate and investment banks, was halting work on their projects and it has since removed references to the unit from its website. A person familiar with the matter said some team members had been terminated while others had been placed on administrative leave, and that the unit’s work had been suspended.

“We have decided to pause the production of a banking analytical product (known as CIB Insights) pending a review into various personnel matters. Our review is ongoing and we are taking appropriate steps,” a McKinsey spokesman said. He declined to comment on the nature of any alleged policy breaches. 

https://www.ft.com/content/c5082aee-6b81-4e3b-ab05-18b0e0509525
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

malcolmg said:

Is that less than our Brexit Bonus. Seriously , anyone that posts something that Anas says is seriously stupid, the man is an idiot.
    He's also never conspired to get his party rivals thrown into jail, which is always a nice bonus.

Justice for Salmond!
    The good sense of the Scottish electorate will 'save' the Union. As for 'justice for Salmond', I think justice is what all of us deserve - do you disagree?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

TimT said:

Charles said:

The Arabs preferred:

So, you are saying that most Welsh are English...? 😀
    Why do you think the touchstone of Welsh nationalism (a few dimwitted hotheads aside) is not independence but defence of the Welsh language?

It is precisely because the anglicised Welsh are regarded, to quote one scholar on the subject, as ‘a sort of strange English people.’
    So, Scots and Irish are even more English! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
    Leaving aside the fact that you’re wandering off the point, which was that Egypt is an Arab nation and the most visible (well, audible) sign of this is the language, why do you suppose that it was commonplace for the UK to be called ‘England’ until well within living memory?
    Nah, just saying that language isn't a good argument.

I would say that while heavily influenced and influencing Arabic culture, that Egyptians are not Arabs. No more so than Brazilians are Portuguese.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited February 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its interesting that the amount of hope Johnson and Whitty gave for any relaxation of any kind at any time in the future for the poor people of England was precisely zero.

Johnson talked about schools reopening on the 8th. That's a relaxation, isn't it?
    Did he make a commitment to open schools on the 8th March?
    Moving the goalposts aren't we?
    I'll take that as a no.

So as I say, Johnson and Whitty gave the English public no hope for the future whatsoever. Nothing. Nada.

You know that person at the end of the film who lets their guard down and gets garroted by the bad guy who's only playing dead? That's you, that is.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Switzerland has refused to approve the AstraZeneca Covid, vaccine with regulators raising concerns over insufficient test data and arguing 'new studies' are needed.

Pseudo-science....

The defects in the AZ data are widely recognized by echt scientists. There's a delusion spread by popular writers with bad science degrees that science consists of identifying carefully cherry picked instances of "bad science" and pointing and laughing at it. This delusion is pseudo-scientific.

Do you want to specify the pseudo-science you have identified here?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Edit - in any case, what you’ve quoted surely completely contradicts your original claim that Egyptians don’t think of themselves as Arabs!

No, it shows that there is a separate (but obviously closely intertwined) identity. And, as the Guardian article said:

Many Egyptians prefer to call themselves Egyptians and some shun the Arab label completely.... In everyday conversation [in Egypt], the term "Arabs" is used to refer to inhabitants of the Gulf states.

Which was my original point. I've no idea why you are taking such an absolutist view of it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited February 2021

The big take away from the press conference this evening, it is still going to be many months until we have vaccinanted sufficient number of people before the UK is safe from a big NHS crushing 3rd wave.

Assuming that no more serious tantrums emanating from the EU threaten interruption to Pfizer supplies, then things look cautiously optimistic for getting the whole of Phase One their first doses by Easter. That's about 60% of the adult population. Then all the second doses have to be administered, so that's when we rely on supply to have seriously ramped up so that the outstanding 40% can still get their first jabs.

If that doesn't happen then yes, we could be lumbered with most of the restrictions right through the Summer (unless there's a lot of warm, sunny weather and this has a very significant impact on the virus.)

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to book a Summer holiday in this country unless the deposit is fully refundable. And I think we can all forget about going abroad.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,581
    edited February 2021
    malcolmg said:

Looks like a job for the University of the Bleedin' Obvious to be honest...

https://twitter.com/SepsisUK/status/1356978994726510592

How much do you have to drink in 9 months to kill yourself
    Of course the answer is obvious, which is why we need an enquiry to put spurious authority behind an series of explanations which leave out personal accountability for drinking too much over a long period of time in a society which even provides some help for this.

The establishment is a bit wobbly about all this - which shows what nonsense it all is. It is rare for addiction to non-consensual sex, addiction to sex with children and addictive male domestic assault to be regarded as 'anyone's responsibility but your's'. And of course rightly so. See Guardian and BBC passim

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,221
    edited February 2021

malcolmg said:

Justice for Salmond!
    The good sense of the Scottish electorate will 'save' the Union. As for 'justice for Salmond', I think justice is what all of us deserve - do you disagree?
    Certainly, I just find Unionist hypocrites who have detested & excoriated Salmond for years and were licking their lips in the expectation of him being jailed now having a sudden attack of piety laughable.

Your certainty that good sense of the Scottish electorate will 'save' the Union doesn't appear to extend to asking them if they'd like to confirm that.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    justin124 said:

No clapping heard here tonight.

I thought Thursday was clap for Boris day.
  • Options

justin124 said:

I thought Thursday was clap for Boris day.
    You don't clap for him every day? The plods will be on to you.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

ydoethur said:

No, it shows that there is a separate (but obviously closely intertwined) identity. And, as the Guardian article said:

Many Egyptians prefer to call themselves Egyptians and some shun the Arab label completely.... In everyday conversation [in Egypt], the term "Arabs" is used to refer to inhabitants of the Gulf states.

Which was my original point. I've no idea why you are taking such an absolutist view of it.
    Because you were saying, in absolutist terms yourself (unusually) that they do not consider themselves Arabs. And one Guardian article aside, all the evidence you have produced says you’re wrong. They have an Arab Republic, speaking Arabic, so important in Arab identity that it has the headquarters of the Arab League in it, with ‘many’ viewing themselves as part of a pan-Arab identity. Admittedly, that would have been geographically stronger before they were pushed out of mainland Arabia in 1967, but I still do not see why you are apparently determined to stick to your original statement that they’re not and do not see themselves as Arabs.

So, to come full circle, it is interesting that they were included in a separate set of tables from Arabia itself.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

Assuming that no more serious tantrums emanating from the EU threaten interruption to Pfizer supplies, then things look cautiously optimistic for getting the whole of Phase One their first doses by Easter. That's about 60% of the adult population. Then all the second doses have to be administered, so that's when we rely on supply to have seriously ramped up so that the outstanding 40% can still get their first jabs.

If that doesn't happen then yes, we could be lumbered with most of the restrictions right through the Summer (unless there's a lot of warm, sunny weather and this has a very significant impact on the virus.)

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to book a Summer holiday in this country unless the deposit is fully refundable. And I think we can all forget about going abroad.
    I agree with you about foreign travel but I think summer holidays at home are very likely indeed. Did Whitty say otherwise?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

RobD said:

RobD said:

Its interesting that the amount of hope Johnson and Whitty gave for any relaxation of any kind at any time in the future for the poor people of England was precisely zero.

Johnson talked about schools reopening on the 8th. That's a relaxation, isn't it?
    I'll take that as a no.

So as I say, Johnson and Whitty gave the English public no hope for the future whatsoever. Nothing. Nada.

You know that person at the end of the film who lets their guard down and gets garroted by the bad guy who's only playing dead? That's you, that is.
    Ok Lets turn it around. At what point will you say Johnson needs to give people at least something more. Some sort of commitment? some sort of firm timetable? Two weeks time? a month's time? two months time?

When does your patience start to run thin?
  • Options
    Having been delighted to get my own 1st vaccination last Saturday, I have just heard that my 37-year-old daughter has received an invitation letter and now has appointments for both doses. She is in Cohort 6. Progress is nothing short of mind-blowing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Switzerland has refused to approve the AstraZeneca Covid, vaccine with regulators raising concerns over insufficient test data and arguing 'new studies' are needed.

Pseudo-science....

The defects in the AZ data are widely recognized by echt scientists. There's a delusion spread by popular writers with bad science degrees that science consists of identifying carefully cherry picked instances of "bad science" and pointing and laughing at it. This delusion is pseudo-scientific.

Do you want to specify the pseudo-science you have identified here?
    What on Earth are you on about?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,581
    If cricket authorities had sense they would put all 5 day tests on terrestrial telly, and flog one day knock about stuff to the highest bidder, creating a new generation of real cricket lovers.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

RobD said:

RobD said:

I'll take that as a no.

Ok Lets turn it around. At what point will you say Johnson needs to give people at least something more. Some sort of commitment? some sort of firm timetable? Two weeks time? a month's time? two months time?

We already have a timetable: everything is due to be reviewed in a few weeks I think? Although of course it’s likely restrictions will be extended to ensure maximum suppression.
  • Options

Having been delighted to get my own 1st vaccination last Saturday, I have just heard that my 37-year-old daughter has received an invitation letter and now has appointments for both doses. She is in Cohort 6. Progress is nothing short of mind-blowing.

Blimey, where is that? They still have a lot of Tier 4 people to do round us in Sussex and Kent.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

A few people did the clap in our neck of the woods for Captain Tom. 6pm a better time for it to get the girls involved, last summer they only did it a few times as they were often in bed by then.

A good idea to do it as a one off today.

A few did it round here as I was on my evening run - bit half hearted, and much nicer last April in the sunshine...
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

If cricket authorities had sense they would put all 5 day tests on terrestrial telly, and flog one day knock about stuff to the highest bidder, creating a new generation of real cricket lovers.

Isn't that the wrong way round? Casual fans don't want to watch 5 day games...T20 thrashes lasting 3hrs are much more interesting to your random punter sitting down on a Friday night looking for a bit of excitement and perhaps something to bet on.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

How would they then generate resources for international, club and grassroots cricket?

Terrestrial broadcasters have been unwilling to put in serious bids until now. If it becomes a trend, then fantastic news.

• Options

Blimey, where is that? They still have a lot of Tier 4 people to do round us in Sussex and Kent.
    London

• Options

Good news! Hopefully a sign it’s going slightly quicker than expected.

15 million first jabs by a fortnight today looks achievable.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I'll take that as a no.

They have to review on 15 Feb, following the first target deadline of Valentine's Day. At that stage I would expect further restrictions but would want to see a clear road map for exit.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

If cricket authorities had sense

Small flaw in your plan...

More seriously, it was said not too long ago that because of the uncertainty around play, length and dates that actually terrestrial broadcasters weren’t interested in first class or Test cricket. It’s great to see that proven wrong,
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The target is 14 Feb – 12 counting days remain.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,781

ydoethur said:

Well I was sure it was 13.2 million previously. Dont know where the 15 million figure has come from.
  • Options
    We are a diminished nation...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

So about 400,000 a day to do. Not going to be far off either way ceteris paribus.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

But that would bankrupt English cricket all levels.

Remember no FTA broadcaster bid for the first series of the summer.

Let us not forget when Channel 4 broadcasted test cricket we regularly missed live moments, seminal moments like Jimmy Anderson's first test wicket because they decided to show Hollyoaks or decided to show the racing.

The BBC missed Graham Gooch's moving to 300 to show the news.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    What's the deal with James O'Brexit and Andrew Neil?

I just attempted to watch Owen Jones YouTube channel and he is interviewing O'Brien and they spend the first 10+ mins smearing Neil and just generally moaning about how terrible he is.

I know why Jones doesn't like him, politics and the fact he has been spanked by Neil in interviews. What is O'Brien's problem? Brexit?

Its the first thing they bring up in the interview.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

More seriously, it was said not too long ago that because of the uncertainty around play, length and dates that actually terrestrial broadcasters weren’t interested in first class or Test cricket. It’s great to see that proven wrong,
    Well they had plenty of sense because they massively increased funding for all levels of cricket by going with Sky. I would rather see the sport on terrestrial TV but you can hardly blame the ECB/BCCI etc if terrestrial channels failed to make serious bids.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,387
    edited February 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Orwell said that 80 years ago. There's a reason the "caricature" persists, including among people who have actually read this stuff. The difficulty with Kim is putting in the right order the extent to which all the non-European characters are patronised and caricatured. The priest? The horse-dealer? Kim himself? The rani they meet on the road?

And you gotta love someone who thought this poem merited writing, never mind publication

"THE COWARD

I could not look on Death, which being known,
    Men led me to him, blindfold and alone."

It's nonsense to say that the non-European characters are patronised and caricatured. Certainly no more than the English characters. To the contrary, it's a fantastically vivid portrayal of the different strands of Indian life and the different religions; when I first visited India I was struck by how much of it still applied. Of course he's not trying to be like George Eliot or Henry James in subtle character portrayals; it's a boy's adventure story, after all, but the wonderful thing about it is that it transcends that. Kipling knew one hell of a lot more about India and Indians than any of his modern-day critics do.

As for the doggerel, yes, well, I've seen a lot worse from other great poets:

Golden lads and girls all must,
    As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

or my favourite of all:

O all the instruments agree
    The day of his death was a dark cold day.
    But the "golden lads" lines comes from a SONG within the play Cymbeline. So it is meant to be much lighter verse: song lyrics. It is not meant to be poetry
  • Options

Yep, although get the cases low enough and we should be able to get back to last summers conditions pretty soon.
  • Options

Great news. And of course anyone over 70 who hasnt had a jab yet can now arrange one themselves, they dont have to wait to be contacted.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

81 is suspiciously close to the number of surplus Generals we have. A Burmese theme?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

My Tier 6 brother got Pfizered on Sunday. Tier 4 in-laws were done a few weeks back now; Tier 7 parents still waiting. All London and within the same borough.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Well I was sure it was 13.2 million previously. Dont know where the 15 million figure has come from.
    It's definitely (~)15 million, Black Rook linked the document earlier. The cohorts add up up to 14.6 m but the government uses the 15m approximation in the same table.

It certainly is not 13.2 million.
  • Options

I just attempted to watch Owen Jones YouTube channel and he is interviewing O'Brien and they spend the first 10+ mins smearing Neil and just generally moaning about how terrible he is.

I know why Jones doesn't like him, politics and the fact he has been spanked by Neil in interviews. What is O'Brien's problem? Brexit?

Neil regularly and effectively mocks O'Brien, on Twitter
  • Options

justin124 said:

Nor here
    A lot of people hadnt heard about it. Johnson should have given more notice.
  • Options

Didn't O'Brien accused Neil of leading a (Twitter) pile on by taking his comments out of context.

I think it peaked when Neil got upset that Brexit might lead to Scottish independence and O'Brien pointed out that people warned about it before the referendum and Neil dismissed it as 'Project Fear'.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Let us not forget when Channel 4 broadcasted test cricket we regularly missed live moments, seminal moments like Jimmy Anderson's first test wicket because they decided to show Hollyoaks or decided to show the racing.

To be fair, first time around CH4 were revolutionary...we got snicko, hot spot and Hawkeye.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

So about 400,000 a day to do. Not going to be far off either way ceteris paribus.
    I posted the vaxometer earlier – the RR is just a shade higher than 400k.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

How much have levels of participation in cricket fallen since 2005? Especially among children?

Sky’s coverage is great for those who can afford it - you and, more recently, me. Wasn’t much fun when I couldn’t and didn’t see any live test cricket for twelve years as a result.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

Nor here
    A lot of people hadnt heard about it. Johnson should have given more notice.
    I heard nothing here in East Mids.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

But further away from Europe. Perhaps someone is building the country out on the western side, to compensate?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The 7 day average was running at around 408k as of 30 Jan thanks to the big day of nearly 600k. If the regular Thursday increase happens the average should be maintained.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131

Nah - England is reclaiming the Channel, on the way to reclaiming Calais.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Well they had plenty of sense because they massively increased funding for all levels of cricket by going with Sky. I would rather see the sport on terrestrial TV but you can hardly blame the ECB/BCCI etc if terrestrial channels failed to make serious bids.
    An organisation that proposes the Hundred has ‘plenty of sense?’

If you want a good laugh, read this article:

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/domestic/who_on_earth_is_the_hundred_for_we_try_to_identify_the_ecb's_mysterious_'new_audience'.html

(Although of course we all know the Hundred competition is not the real reason for the Hundred setup.)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    That is an inspired idea from Hancock.

An announcement from Starmer, demanding quarantine hotels will follow tomorrow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    edited February 2021

London
    Makes sense. Rother (Sussex/Kent border) has 32% population > 65 in 2016, much of London around 10%.
    London and other city areas should get through their groups quicker in general.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Yep, although get the cases low enough and we should be able to get back to last summers conditions pretty soon.
    The performance being claimed for the vaccine is such that a 'crushing third wave' is pretty much out of the question, isn;t it?

What is being crushed, by spiralling debt, plummeting educational outcomes, soaring unemployment and devastating mental health issues, are the next generation of Britons.

Crushed utterly.
  • Options

Didn't O'Brien accused Neil of leading a (Twitter) pile on by taking his comments out of context.

I think it peaked when Neil got upset that Brexit might lead to Scottish independence and O'Brien pointed out that people warned about it before the referendum and Neil dismissed it as 'Project Fear'.
    Yeah but if O'Brien's lips were moving then of course he was lying. He has never knowing said an honest or truthful thing in his life. So you can understand Neil not believing him.
  • Options
    Whilst I am delighted that test cricket is back of FTA TV I will probably be watching the match with the commentary muted.

C4 are talking the host feed provided by the BCCI, which means it heavily pro India and treat the players like God.

OMG Virat Kohli has farted, it is the greatest fart in history.

The commentators are contractually obliged not to criticise the BCCI or the Indian team.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The Arabs preferred:

Would be good to see a translation of what exactly was asked in each language. “Trust” might have been interpreted as “do what they tell you they are going to do”. Our worst enemies would agree with that.
    I was reading about the Anglo-Zanzibar War earlier this week.

It was pretty cheeky to send the Zanzibar government an invoice for the cost of the shells!
    Isn't extracting reparations from the losing side the usual thing? Probably not usually able to be itemised so precisely.
    the war lasted about 40 minutes...
  • Options

London
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654

malcolmg said:

Don't mention Anas - TSE will make a small pizza.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/domestic/who_on_earth_is_the_hundred_for_we_try_to_identify_the_ecb's_mysterious_'new_audience'.html

(Although of course we all know the Hundred competition is not the real reason for the Hundred setup.)
    What do you think is the real reason? I'm baffled.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Neil regularly and effectively mocks O'Brien, on Twitter
    Why? Brexit Derangement Syndrome he suffers from?

Owen Jones YouTube isn't very good..probably not really aimed at me, but he doesn't get it and why he is doing crap in terns of numbers.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

To be fair, first time around CH4 were revolutionary...we got snicko, hot spot and Hawkeye.
    All of which are now allowed in the Laws (although hotspot didn’t work well).

Ball tracking also being used in tennis, of course.

What amazes me about its use in tennis is it shows just how brilliant those line judges are. How many appeals succeed? About one in ten?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

How much have levels of participation in cricket fallen since 2005? Especially among children?

Sky’s coverage is great for those who can afford it - you and, more recently, me. Wasn’t much fun when I couldn’t and didn’t see any live test cricket for twelve years as a result.
    I would imagine that the average cricket fan nowadays is almost as old as the average golf fan. It's for rich elderly men.

Though best make sure my husband doesn't catch me saying that.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

malcolmg said:

Justice for Salmond!
    Certainly, I just find Unionist hypocrites who have detested & excoriated Salmond for years and were licking their lips in the expectation of him being jailed now having a sudden attack of piety laughable.

Your certainty that good sense of the Scottish electorate will 'save' the Union doesn't appear to extend to asking them if they'd like to confirm that.
    It certainly does extend to that. It doesn't extend to doing so *right this instant* because the SNP is worried the air's going to go out of their grievance balloon.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Whilst I am delighted that test cricket is back of FTA TV I will probably be watching the match with the commentary muted.

C4 are talking the host feed provided by the BCCI, which means it heavily pro India and treat the players like God.

The commentators are contractually obliged not to criticise the BCCI or the Indian team.

Are they not doing what Sky did in Sri Lanka? And take the video, but have own commentators and analysis?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

To set up a new domestic structure based on major grounds/cities.
  • Options
    Interesting, Sun have taken down a tweet saying Hancock was to make a Hotels quarantine announcement tomorrow....

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited February 2021
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

The participation drop off is nothing to do with Sky.

Cricket, like rugby union, is becoming a public school game as state schools sold playing fields.

Ironically Sky have been spending a lot of money on cricket participation.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/11390558/join-us-for-the-participation-test/more/5

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11390819/stuart-broad-sees-how-chance-to-shine-is-helping-inner-city-children-through-cricket
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Orwell said that 80 years ago. There's a reason the "caricature" persists, including among people who have actually read this stuff. The difficulty with Kim is putting in the right order the extent to which all the non-European characters are patronised and caricatured. The priest? The horse-dealer? Kim himself? The rani they meet on the road?

And you gotta love someone who thought this poem merited writing, never mind publication

"THE COWARD

I could not look on Death, which being known,
    Men led me to him, blindfold and alone."

It's nonsense to say that the non-European characters are patronised and caricatured. Certainly no more than the English characters. To the contrary, it's a fantastically vivid portrayal of the different strands of Indian life and the different religions; when I first visited India I was struck by how much of it still applied. Of course he's not trying to be like George Eliot or Henry James in subtle character portrayals; it's a boy's adventure story, after all, but the wonderful thing about it is that it transcends that. Kipling knew one hell of a lot more about India and Indians than any of his modern-day critics do.

As for the doggerel, yes, well, I've seen a lot worse from other great poets:

Golden lads and girls all must,
    As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

or my favourite of all:

O all the instruments agree
    The day of his death was a dark cold day.
    But the "golden lads" lines comes from a SONG within the play Cymbeline. So it is meant to be much lighter verse: song lyrics. It is not meant to be poetry
    OK, and what's Auden's excuse?

Edit: For that matter, the Kipling couplet is from his satirical Epitaphs, so perhaps we can excuse him anyway.
  • Options

Are they not doing what Sky did in Sri Lanka? And take the video, but have own commentators and analysis?
    No, they said they would take local commentary.

Could do worse than ask to stream the BBC radio commentary alongside it, actually. Would work on so many levels.

But it’s unlikely the Beeb would agree!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Sky TV really isn't that expensive. It's a
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Give the Hundred a chance before you knock it. It could well be very popular with younger audiences.

My point was that the ECB had plenty of sense selling the rights to Sky, as this has vastly increased funding to the sport, revolutionised grassroots cricket and led England to a World Cup victory.

I would prefer that it was on FTA TV, if it can be properly scheduled and assuming they make serious bids.

The Channel 4 deal bodes well, but let's see.

Your point is?
  • Options
    I was chided as "creepy" for making exactly this point a coupla weeks ago

Covid is particularly hard on beautiful young women, who know they won't be beautiful forever

https://twitter.com/masiragz/status/1356368901622231041?s=20
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

James O’Brien is never, never wrong. If you take that as a starting point...
  • Options

'tis a mere scratch.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Give the Hundred a chance before you knock it. It could well be very popular with younger audiences.

My point was that the ECB had plenty of sense selling the rights to Sky, as this has vastly increased funding to the sport, revolutionised grassroots cricket and led England to a World Cup victory.

I would prefer that it was on FTA TV, if it can be properly scheduled and assuming they make serious bids.

Your point is?
    That I think you’re wrong.

But we will see.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Damn you, coastal erosion, will you never cease?!
    Nope. Which is why, kiddies, you should never hang around under cliffs. They have a habit of doing this.
  • Options

The performance being claimed for the vaccine is such that a 'crushing third wave' is pretty much out of the question, isn;t it?

What is being crushed, by spiralling debt, plummeting educational outcomes, soaring unemployment and devastating mental health issues, are the next generation of Britons.

Crushed utterly.

Who is talking about a crushing third wave? Where has this come from?

On current rates, we stand a good chance of having jabbed every adult by May Day!
  • Options

Nope.

Note to Editors

Channel 4 will take the world live feed commentary and its studio presentation team will be announced in due course.

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/live-test-cricket-returns-channel-4
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

London
    Makes sense. Rother (Sussex/Kent border) has 32% population > 65 in 2016, much of London around 10%.
    London and other city areas should get through their groups quicker in general.
    You'd have thought they'd have factored that into the number of doses distributed to each area, though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Ah, I see. I'd have thought that they could and should have just done that anyway - actually make it clubs like football. However I'm very far from understanding the politics of county cricket and the ecb.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

They improved the game from a technological point of view.But I think I preferred the more sedate BBC coverage that existed until 1998, presented by the likes of Tony Lewis, Richie Benaud and Jack Bannister.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    ydoethur said:

No, they said they would take local commentary.

Could do worse than ask to stream the BBC radio commentary alongside it, actually. Would work on so many levels.

But it’s unlikely the Beeb would agree!
    That's a terrible decision from Ch4...last time they were revolutionary. Now the world has moved on, but great opportunity to that again e.g. bring in like the Cricviz guys to do proper analysis, really upset the apple cart of 2nd rate commentary and analysis that is far too common.
  • Options

Is that actually true? Goodness me. Will it be on Sky too? If not, we can always sync TMS...
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Ah, I see. I'd have thought that they could and should have just done that anyway - actually make it clubs like football. However I'm very far from understanding the politics of county cricket and the ecb.
    The ECB is owned by the counties, not the other way around. If it wants to reduce the number, it needs to find a way to drive some out of business.

How better than to take all their best players off them and in effect give them to rival teams, while refusing to let them host the matches in the premier competition at a peak time of year?
  • Options

Is that actually true? Goodness me. Will it be on Sky too? If not, we can always sync TMS...
    It is actually true.

It's not on Sky, as for TMS, TalkSport have the radio rights to this series.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Covid is particularly hard on beautiful young women, who know they won't be beautiful forever

You know, that guy who hassled Whitty, I kind of feel sorry for him. Maybe he speaks for a generation

He can't play sport. He can't meet his mates. He can't hug his gran even though she's had the vaccine. He can't date a girl, or a boy if that is his way. He can't go on holiday. He can't go to a concert. He can't have a night out. He can't learn to drive.

And worst of all, he can't f8cking learn anything.

Seriously, hassling Whitty is about all that's left.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Your point is?
    That I think you’re wrong.

But we will see.
    Wrong in what sense? Wrong that Sky rights have injected much needed funding into the sport at every level?

Nope, I'm not wrong about that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    Leon said:

Cue Genesis and "Ripples"

"Marching to the promised land
    Where the honey flows and takes you by the hand
    Pulls you down on your knees
    While you're down a pool appears
    The face in the water looks up
    And she shakes her head as if to say
    That it's the last time you'll look like today"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJa9gEUa0To
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    algarkirk said:

What's "terrestrial telly"?
This discussion has been closed.