Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The other side of the bet. The ethics of political gambling. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Isn't there an exodus from London and half empty streets at this time of year even in normal circumstances?
    No. There isn't. Under normal circumstances there is no place on Earth better than London at Christmas. Unpopular opinion on this board I know.
    There are many places better than London at Christmas, believe you me
    I've never found one. Lived in a few, never found anywhere better.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

Looking at the ONS death stats per age, here's an approximate distribution of 101 deaths from covid at given ages:

The mean number of years lost on that distribution is 13.1 years of life, ranging from 4 years to 59 years.

20% would lose multiple decades (20 years+)
    (10% would lose 30 years+)

So 1.31 decades lost on average.
    Not for 80 somethings.
    Yes it's 0.9-1.0 decades for them on average.
    Do(es) one decades take(s) the singular or plural of the verb that follows?
    It depends upon context.
    I have to give up on you now. You clearly can't be helped. But 2009 was NOT decades ago.
    Seems .like only yesterday to some of us! In some respects, anyway.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Isn't there an exodus from London and half empty streets at this time of year even in normal circumstances?
    No. There isn't. Under normal circumstances there is no place on Earth better than London at Christmas. Unpopular opinion on this board I know.
    Of course that is your personal view but because you have not found anywhere better does not make your assertion true
  • Options
    The thing is I only have about 30% confidence whatever rules announced today will stick until Christmas Eve anyway.

We might be ordered to immolate all local hostelries and sacrifice the firstborn by lunchtime on Wednesday.
  • Options

Looking at the ONS death stats per age, here's an approximate distribution of 101 deaths from covid at given ages:

The mean number of years lost on that distribution is 13.1 years of life, ranging from 4 years to 59 years.

Not for 80 somethings.
    It depends upon context.
    I have to give up on you now. You clearly can't be helped. But 2009 was NOT decades ago.
    Surely it was 1.1 decades ago, not 1.1 decade.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    So the A1 and M1 are quiet and not congested in normal years the weekend before Christmas? 🤔
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

Untrue or unridiculous?
    It is sensible
    Sorry if I seem rude but I am fed up with this view and I consider it to be crassly selfish. The lives of young people have been fucked enough in the last 12 years to ensure asset prices and pension incomes for baby boomers and above are protected. If you have such a poor understanding of risk that you remain scared of your own shadow then lock yourself up by all means. But don’t you dare criminalise me for exhibiting entirely sensible risk based behaviour, or expect me to celebrate any further interruption to my kids lives so you can feel less scared at night.
    Can I just say that at 81 and 76 my wife and I are not considering ourselves but the idea the NHS may well be overwhelmed with all the consequences for everyone needing urgent cancer and other care is a nightmare and everything should be done to stop us descending into that nightmare

And I am not criminalising you and to be honest your tone is a wee bit over the top
    In my family, the kids are getting the presents, the tree etc.

No big family get together - but hey, a big family meal isn't that impossible to arrange, in say June.

I am having a lot of trouble seeing this as other than a bit annoying.

Mind you I *have* run out of Grand Cru. So I am left with Premier Cru for Christmas. And some ancient Tokaji...

Can I get compensation?
    Premier Cru and ancient Tokaji some like reasonable compensation to me!
    I have several email adverts from local, and national, wine merchants, promising delivery before Christmas. Plus elder son has sent us 6 bottles of what looks like quite decent S. Italian red. And I picked up what appears to be a pleasant port yesterday.
    Plan ATM is that we meet Eldest Granddaughter (aged 31) and her father on Christmas Day, approx 40 mins. drive away, in the same county.
    Even if we can't keep to the plan, we should be able to manage over the festive season.
    My one sadness is that I can't do my traditional Boxing day ritual - serve my mother-in-law her favourite wine with the main course. Which is sweet white wine.

She knows nothing of wine, bless her. Just likes what she likes.

I give her the finest desert wines, without telling her what they are. The price would horrify her, I think, since she grew up very poor.

The other side of that is the family wine snob has to watch this, and hold his tongue. Otherwise he gets none, when desert comes.....
    The wine snob is wrong. Fine Sauternes and Barsac can pair very well with some meat or poultry courses, especially if the dishes are quite rich. In Bordeaux they do this quite often, especially at the sweet-wine chateaux.
    Indeed, Richard. Sauternes are traditionally paired with Foie Gras, but I could see the logic to pairing it with any rich meat dish with a fruit-based coulis.
    One can go even further over-the-top with wine snobbery than with arguing about Brexit!
    LOLz. I think Malmesbury's mum has got it right - drink what you like, when you like, with what you like.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Scott_xP said:
    He's right. Like Drakeford in Wales he acted as though the preferred outcome was too certain, when he needed to accept things could change even if they were going well.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Of course that is your personal view but because you have not found anywhere better does not make your assertion true
    Indeed. Yours neither. NYC comes close to London levels but everywhere else is just wall to wall mud or snow.
  • Options

The thing is I only have about 30% confidence whatever rules announced today will stick until Christmas Eve anyway.

We might be ordered to immolate all local hostelries and sacrifice the firstborn by lunchtime on Wednesday.

Is it lese-majeste to wonder whether our PM and family will be in Downing St or Chequers for Christmas?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    I think the government have been very poor in this whole Christmas business, but what on earth is this crap about losing consent to be governed? There's a place for hyperbole, certainly, but that's just crap.

It's also the sort of fake question someone asks when they very much want the answer to be yes, for whatever reason, but want to pretend they dont want it, the 'just asking questions' silliness you see quite often on the extreme right (though not exclusively there, obviously).
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Not for 80 somethings.
    It depends upon context.
    Surely it was 1.1 decades ago, not 1.1 decade.
    1 year ago was 0.1 decades ago. It's not effing decades ago though.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Indeed. Yours neither. NYC comes close to London levels but everywhere else is just wall to wall mud or snow.
    Home is the best place at Christmas wherever that is
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    TimT said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

Untrue or unridiculous?
    It is sensible
    Sorry if I seem rude but I am fed up with this view and I consider it to be crassly selfish. The lives of young people have been fucked enough in the last 12 years to ensure asset prices and pension incomes for baby boomers and above are protected. If you have such a poor understanding of risk that you remain scared of your own shadow then lock yourself up by all means. But don’t you dare criminalise me for exhibiting entirely sensible risk based behaviour, or expect me to celebrate any further interruption to my kids lives so you can feel less scared at night.
    Can I just say that at 81 and 76 my wife and I are not considering ourselves but the idea the NHS may well be overwhelmed with all the consequences for everyone needing urgent cancer and other care is a nightmare and everything should be done to stop us descending into that nightmare

And I am not criminalising you and to be honest your tone is a wee bit over the top

No big family get together - but hey, a big family meal isn't that impossible to arrange, in say June.

Mind you I *have* run out of Grand Cru. So I am left with Premier Cru for Christmas. And some ancient Tokaji...

Can I get compensation?
    I have several email adverts from local, and national, wine merchants, promising delivery before Christmas. Plus elder son has sent us 6 bottles of what looks like quite decent S. Italian red. And I picked up what appears to be a pleasant port yesterday.
    Plan ATM is that we meet Eldest Granddaughter (aged 31) and her father on Christmas Day, approx 40 mins. drive away, in the same county.
    Even if we can't keep to the plan, we should be able to manage over the festive season.
    My one sadness is that I can't do my traditional Boxing day ritual - serve my mother-in-law her favourite wine with the main course. Which is sweet white wine.

I give her the finest desert wines, without telling her what they are. The price would horrify her, I think, since she grew up very poor.

The other side of that is the family wine snob has to watch this, and hold his tongue. Otherwise he gets none, when desert comes.....
    The wine snob is wrong. Fine Sauternes and Barsac can pair very well with some meat or poultry courses, especially if the dishes are quite rich. In Bordeaux they do this quite often, especially at the sweet-wine chateaux.
    Indeed, Richard. Sauternes are traditionally paired with Foie Gras, but I could see the logic to pairing it with any rich meat dish with a fruit-based coulis.
    One can go even further over-the-top with wine snobbery than with arguing about Brexit!
    LOLz. I think Malmesbury's mum has got it right - drink what you like, when you like, with what you like.
    The best wine in the world is the one you like drinking. At this moment......

If that means screw top dry white plonk from the corner shop with steak - go for it.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, a similar bullshit line was taken by one of the ITV journalists when the Grenfell fire occurred.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    So the A1 and M1 are quiet and not congested in normal years the weekend before Christmas? 🤔
    They're not one way roads.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I think the government have been very poor in this whole Christmas business, but what on earth is this crap about losing consent to be goverened? There's a place for hyperbole, certainly, but that's just crap.

It's also the sort of fake question someone asks when they very much want the answer to be yes, for whatever reason, but want to pretend they dont want it, the 'just asking questions' silliness you see quite often on the extreme right (though not exclusively there, obviously).
    And they may just have public support - all polls to date have seen remarkable support for lockdown
  • Options

Not for 80 somethings.
    It depends upon context.
    It may make you feel old but sorry to say it was.

It nearly 1.2 decades ago in the noughties. Since then we have been through the entire 2010s decade and are now almost a year into the 2020s already.
  • Options
    Southampton v Man City on Amazon Prime is unwatchable and we have high speed fibre broadband
  • Options

moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

Untrue or unridiculous?
    It is sensible

Can I get compensation?

This made me smile.

It reminded me of my dear old Dad who equated sweetness in wine with quality. He would swig the sauternes appreciatively with the roast beef. Offer him the finest bordeaux and he'd spit it out - 'Vinegar!
    Was he a Hapsburg, by any chance?
  • Options

Not for 80 somethings.
    It depends upon context.

It nearly 1.2 decades ago in the noughties. Since then we have been through the entire 2010s decade and are now almost a year into the 2020s already.
    This conversation started billions of years ago, and I'm definitely giving up.
  • Options

Southampton v Man City on Amazon Prime is unwatchable and we have high speed fibre broadband

Surely Citeh are unwatchable even if there aren't broadband issues?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Difficult. First born is in Tier 3. But I can only get there to sacrifice them by passing through a Tier 2 area.
    Is there an exemption, or is appeasing the Gods already classed as "essential"?
  • Options

Not for 80 somethings.
    It depends upon context.

This conversation started billions of years ago, and I'm definitely giving up.
    You don't see a difference between 1 of something and a fraction of it?
  • Options

Surely Citeh are unwatchable even if there aren't broadband issues?
    I've just stuck it on. The picture is fine. But there is fake crowd noise and Citeh players. So I'm turning it back off.
  • Options
    The interesting issue is that if Boris does effectively cancel Christmas what are Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster going to do
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072
    It seems clear that, if the government wanted to save Christmas, and accepting for the moment that the only tool they have for reducing the spread of the virus is varying degrees of lockdown, that they should have maintained the second lockdown until this weekend. Yet again the government is failing even on its own very limited terms.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    They're not one way roads.
    When I lived down south and commuted up the weekend before Christmas there certainly seemed to be more traffic going out of London than into it.
  • Options

That's Man City for you.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    There used to be, I've lived in London for over 20 years and it always was pleasantly quiet the week after Christmas.

Now, without the tourists flooding in, it's pleasantly and morbidly quiet.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

It seems clear that, if the government wanted to save Christmas, and accepting for the moment that the only tool they have for reducing the spread of the virus is varying degrees of lockdown, that they should have maintained the second lockdown until this weekend. Yet again the government is failing even on its own very limited terms.

Heretic. What's the point of Christmas without the stress and spiritual emptiness of Christmas shopping?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

The interesting issue is that if Boris does effectively cancel Christmas what are Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster going to do

The terminally useless Mr Lockdown Drakeford has already cancelled Christmas. Lockdown from close of business on the 24th.

Nippy is doing an excellent job in Scotland, so no need to do any more.

Immediate lockdown in Northern Ireland after Christmas.

Cancelling Christmas isn't on Boris' agenda. Bolstered tiers from the 28th to combat the new Drakeford strain of Covid perhaps
  • Options

AIUI the problem with the 'new' virus is in London and the South East. Not even in the North of England.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    This really isn't an opportune political moment for Boris to attempt to use sleight of hand to get a series of concessions on the EU deal past the Brexiteers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

New virus strain - really not looking good at all.

Looks like Christmas cancelled. Can't see how we get out of this one - vaccines seem the only hope..

What does really not looking good at all mean?

Our liberty has to be destroyed and our country bankrupted because something 'really does not look good at all?''
    It means lot more people are going to die.

If you want to see what the alternative looks like look across the Atlantic. The US has now lost more people than they lost in WW1 and the Vietnam war combined. They are now losing the equivalent of a 9/11 every day.
    contrarian firmly believes that Covid was over in America in Mid July.
    I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth, matey.
    Ah, sorry for misunderstanding you went you repeatedly demand the country open back up and stated that Deaths in the US were less than a tenth of the peak. (By cherry picking a weekend day to get that figure)
  • Options
    Granddaughter-in-law has just had a positive test result.It's her husband's birthday, too. Both teachers, so isolating over the next couple of weeks isn't a problem, although they were going to come and look through our and her parents windows.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

This really isn't an opportune political moment for Boris to attempt to use sleight of hand to get a series of concessions on the EU deal past the Brexiteers.

Why not? Or has Mr Rees-Mogg not worked out yet that this isn't the Plague or the Sweating Sickness and there is this thing called ye Zoom? Traditionally the reaction was to prorogue Parliament so the toffs and MPs could clear ouf of London to their landed estates, leaving the proles there ...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Carnyx said:

Why not? Or has Mr Rees-Mogg not worked out yet that this isn't the Plague or the Sweating Sickness and there is this thing called ye Zoom? Traditionally the reaction was to prorogue Parliament so the toffs and MPs could clear ouf of London to their landed estates, leaving the proles there ...
    Because even his own supporters can see that the emperor has no clothes.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2020
    Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.

Sturgeon press conference at 5.30

She doesn’t do Saturdays normally

possible they’ve ditched the London/se tier 4 & agreed a uk-wide lockdown instead?
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Heretic. What's the point of Christmas without the stress and spiritual emptiness of Christmas shopping?
    All sacrifice must be made to appease the gods by fattening the the DM's Christmas shopping advertising revenues.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Granddaughter-in-law has just had a positive test result.It's her husband's birthday, too. Both teachers, so isolating over the next couple of weeks isn't a problem, although they were going to come and look through our and her parents windows.

This isn't easy for the Gov't, but the way teachers have been thrown under the bus has been disgusting.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800

Or for tier 4 to include restrictions on the movements of journalists covering Kent in January.

I don't actually believe that, just a cynical thought
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    For most people it seems that would be giving with one hand and take away with another.

Your mileage may vary as to which one is the giving and which one is the taking.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    And BoZo can't even turn up on time.

Twat
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Gaussian said:

All sacrifice must be made to appease the gods by fattening the the DM's Christmas shopping advertising revenues.
    I am in favour of abolishing Christmas and replacing it with mandatory church attendance.

I am an atheist.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's a great photo of Johnson. I reckon he keeps that hard hat on when he's giving PNN a sorting out.
    He looks, not inappropriately given current affairs, alarmingly piscine.
    Grouper ?
  • Options
    ping said:

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.

Is it possible they’ve ditched the London/se tier 4 & agreed a uk-wide lockdown instead?

I wonder. We can't have the new pox spreading all over the UK like the Plague did from London in 1664, can we?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

And BoZo can't even turn up on time.

Twat

You are just ridiculous
  • Options
    27052 o_O
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Razor wire at the Watford Gap services. Keep the mutant virus out of the Nation.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's a great photo of Johnson. I reckon he keeps that hard hat on when he's giving PNN a sorting out.
    He looks, not inappropriately given current affairs, alarmingly piscine.
    Grouper ?
    Exactly what I had in mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0eCyugm6f0
  • Options
    I hate unpunctuality.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Oh I understand it now.

The scientists were baffled why Hancock announced the new strain in the House of Commons, the message to papers to put mutant virus on the front pages, considering its not the first time COVID had mutated, and its hardly a scientific shock, and a surprise to the scientific community the politicians were being so alarmist.

It was to set up a news narrative that allowed cover for a political u turn, “we made a mistake with the five days, but how can we get out of it” get out clause.

Clever. 👏🏻
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Gaussian said:

I am in favour of abolishing Christmas and replacing it with mandatory church attendance.

I am an atheist.
    Zoom services, one hopes!
  • Options
    ping said:

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.

possible they’ve ditched the London/se tier 4 & agreed a uk-wide lockdown instead?

Its because following advice from his Union Czar HYUFD the PM is going to announce that Scotland will go into a special tier where acts that spread the new pox strain (identified by Porton Down scientists as voting SNP) will be punished by crushing by tank, driven personally by HYUFD.

Rebellious Scots to Crush. Literally.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Fucked it Boris. Fucked it.
  • Options
    Tier 4 needs to apply England-wide. This simply won’t work.
  • Options
    R+0.4??? Fuck me
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited December 2020
    Boris says London and SE moving to Tier 4 so non essential retail closing and no travel outside the Tier, no overnight stays but communal worship can continue.

People should carefully consider if they travel abroad and Tier 4 area residents cannot travel abroad.

No mixing of households in Tier 4 over Christmas except in bubbles, only 2 households can mix outside.

No relaxation for New Year's eve either
  • Options
    Love the way he goes from 'stay local' to 'don't travel abroad'.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Wow, Christmas cancelled for everyone except for a day.
  • Options
    Madness to allow communal worship in Tier 4.
  • Options
    This new pox strain needs a better name than VUI2020/12/01

How about THE LONDON PLAGUE
  • Options
    Full lockdown except for Mosques, Churches etc. You have got to be kidding me.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Is this to be mirrored in Scotland Wales and NI
  • Options
    Alistair said:

He can get fucked lol
  • Options

The London Plague won't cross the threshold into God's house
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Madness. Absolute madness.
  • Options

Got to pander to the Tory Party at Prayer.
  • Options

Artist said:

Is this to be mirrored in Scotland Wales and NI
    Without a shadow of a doubt for Scotland.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Insanity.

Churches were closed at Easter. That is the more religious of the two and services moved online. Do it again.
  • Options
    Honestly, Boris delivery once again dreadful. Sturgeon is going to cancel Christmas and demand the sacrifice of every first born and will seem more relatable, human and competent.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Not any choice listening to Chris Whitty

And this is the new variant hence the dramatic changes

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    How are the government going to stop people travelling if they really want to.

road blocks?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Insanity.

Churches were closed at Easter. That is the more religious of the two and services moved online. Do it again.
    Well, I can't think what it is if it isn't pandering to the ERG and the like. It's not as if they were very worried aboout other religions before (e.g. Eid).
  • Options
    Expect Scotland to go to Level 4 from tomorrow with Christmas arrangements rescinded.

Full national lockdown all nations from 28 Dec.

Need to cancel first school half term to end Feb.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Lock at what boris said to his MPs before they approved the Tier system.

How can they ever trust anything he says again?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2020
    Not a good day. God help us.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

road blocks?

[deleted].
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Honestly, Boris delivery once again dreadful. Sturgeon is going to cancel Christmas and demand the sacrifice of every first born and will seem more relatable, human and competent.

Where the fuck did communal worship come from. Does he think SCOTUS decisions are important here lol ?
  • Options

Lock at what boris said to his MPs before they approved the Tier system.

How can they ever trust anything he says again?

This virus is changing and as it changes policy has to change
  • Options
    14th December - 33945 cases in the UK
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Alistair said:

R+0.4??? Fuck me

Yeah it's mental, it means we need much tougher social distancing measures or to close schools to keep the R at or below 1. I really hope this stays contained in the UK because we might be able to control this with a fast vaccine rollout, in other countries it could be a huge, huge disaster.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Where the fuck did communal worship come from. Does he think SCOTUS decisions are important here lol ?
    Various commentators have been screaming blue murder about "Criminalising worship" like the morons they are.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

road blocks?

Why not do it properly this time no softly softley, if you break the law on the spot fine car impounded etc etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    "Twitter right not happy" - didn't know you were a Yorkshireman HYUFD
This discussion has been closed.