Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some Definitions – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Roger said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

FF43 said:

Roger said:

A very fine header cyclefree. I didn't manage to read it yesterday.

I heard on radio yesterday that negotiating deals is what the EU excels at. Apparently there is nowhere in the world better.

Something else we will lose in this quest for the chimera called sovereignty

The EU is screwed, once we are properly out and seen to be doing ok, others will want to free themsemves from the EU yoke. I voted remain, but the EU "negotiation" is not about the deal, ,its about protecting the EU institution.
    In part it is about protecting the EU institution. All membership organisations need to maximise the value of membership. If you are out you don't get what you get when you are in. I wouldn't assume others will follow us out the door (aka "free themselves from the EU yoke"). Brexit has so far had the opposite effect of making people in the EU appreciate what they have got.
    Bollocks. The trauma of Brexit has made eurosceptic member states worry about the cost and grief of divorce. And rightly: Article 50 is designed to be horrifically painful. That was the explicit intent of the guy who wrote it, a Brit, Lord Kerr. He intended to deter future secessions, as he has admitted, by making departure a nightmare.

This is very different from making skeptical countries *love the EU even more*. They don’t.
    There has been a positive benefit to being in the EU whilst the UK was making huge contributions that could be showered around as regional aid. Now we have gone - not so much. Much more stick, far less carrot.
    In the medium term the EU, post Brexit, will either evolve into a loose, almost meaningless constellation of states with equal rights - like Eurovision (now including Australia) - or, more likely, it will become a solar system around the sun/euro and the original six members, with different levels of association for more peripheral planets.

I predict Britain, including Scotland, will remain on the outer rim, equally influenced by rival stars like the USA. Indeed we may end up in an economic anglophone association, like five eyes, further from Brussels than ever. But squarely confronting China, our genuine rival and potential enemy
    Even by the late much lamented SeanT's standards that's bollocks!!
    Groucho at 7pm tonight? It may be our last chance before Tier 3 on Wednesday. X
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,110
    LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

LadyG said:

I predict Britain, including Scotland, will remain on the outer rim, equally influenced by rival stars like the USA. Indeed we may end up in an economic anglophone association, like five eyes, further from Brussels than ever. But squarely confronting China, our genuine rival and potential enemy

I don't think the UK will ever be allowed anywhere near the security and defence alliance the US are building to contain and confront China. (QSD).
    Yeah, America is going to exclude its most powerful and reliable ally. Right. Yep. Gotcha
    Aside from the Trump aberration the long standing US policy has been to create groups of regional alliances and bipartisan defence deals. What they don't want is any nation bridging two regional groups except themselves.

If the impeding cold war with China turns hot then the UK will, of course, be expected to tip its disadvantaged youth into the meat grinder. However, what won't be happening is the UK having any input into policy or strategy in Asia. That's the role of QSD.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,733

Scott_xP said:

There comes a point (and it might have been yesterday) when even if a deal is agreed it is too late to ratify or implement it.

Transition extension! But we can call it something else "implementation period" perhaps.
    What will we call the extension after that?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,656

LadyG said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I heard on radio yesterday that negotiating deals is what the EU excels at. Apparently there is nowhere in the world better.

The EU is screwed, once we are properly out and seen to be doing ok, others will want to free themsemves from the EU yoke. I voted remain, but the EU "negotiation" is not about the deal, ,its about protecting the EU institution.
    You are one of many Remainers who post on PB and have subsequently enthusiastically bought into Brexit.

The opinion polls must be wrong.
    I havent bought into brexit at all. I still think we are better off overall in, for all the EU's sins. However i loathe the likes or Barnier.
    It just gets stranger. Barnier is one of the two politicians I would love to be on our side. The other is Van Dur Luyden. Not just for their political skills-though they're very impressive- but for their articulacy and elegance. Our side look leaden next to them.
    You misspelled van Der liyyyen’s name, badly, and you seem unaware that she was a notoriously unpopular and incompetent German defence minister. That’s why she was shuffled off to Brussels. Apart from that, good post
    One of the downsides of Brexit is that we can no longer send Gavin Williamson to the EU as a Commissioner.....
    Not necessarily. We could send him to Australia instead to take charge of that side of the Australian-style deal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601

IanB2 said:

The Times today suggests that Wiltshire could be heading for tier three this week. I checked the rates, 67 per 100,000 in the last 7 days. WTAF? Another innumerate journalist looking at a % increase?

Areas both E and SW of Swindon are in blue on the interactive map; Swindon itself in dark blue, as is the area with the army camps around Larkhill
    Where I am is white. The county as a whole is at 67 cases per 100,000. If you use the area as a whole for simplicity, then the rate is one of the lowest in the country (bottom 10%). If you are going to look as MSOA then where I am should in tier 1. Can't have it both ways.
    Last time I looked, South Hams was 20 per 100,000. In Tier 2. Cornwall in Tier 1 was 19.

Still reckon we won't get changed though.
    Adding Devon to Cornwall in T1 is likely; I'd have thought. They'll be looking for areas to yield to Tory backbench pressure, and that one is geographically easy and with plenty of Tories to make happy. The more difficult ones are inland where, as turbo says, there are large low-case rural areas but with hotspots like Swindon and the army camps mixed in.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Prepare for WTO terms stupid Dunt.

Been told that for months. 🤦🏻‍♂️
    WTO terms. Will not work. For so many importers / exporters. YOU have been told that for months. But know better. Apparently.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    It was a hilarious interview. Poor Sharma. Why he didn't simply say his leader had a tick that made him say the first thing that came into his head and 'no' he couldn't explain it is a mystery.
    I'm starting to notice quite a few interviews now where this or that cabinet minister has to try and justify some piece of utter bollocks that Boris Johnson has come out with. They take different tacks, depending who it is, but there's no obvious best way to do it. I sense the more senior ones are more able to hint at their exasperation (with Johnson) than the others. Regardless, I feel sorry for them. I know they weren't forced to become lackies, and I know they're paid well, but still, everyone deserves dignity and these Conservative politicians at the court of "Boris" are being cruelly stripped of theirs.
    No-one’s forcing them to stay in the Cabinet. If they had any self-respect they’d have left long ago instead of coming out with the lying tripe most of them do on a daily basis.
    Why? It is one of the best and most productive Cabinets of my adult lifetime.

And far more credible and honest that Teflon Tony's 45 minutes Cabinet.
    Cobblers
    Just because you're not getting what you want?

Same pathetic squealing as occurred during my childhood in the last meaningful transformative government this nation had under Thatcher.
    She was evil but not stupid, I can’t see where you believe the current cabinet is anything but a group of yes men. At least thatcher had the courage to put in good people in hers. You and redwood must be the only people who are getting what they wanted and up till now have failed to articulate how that leads to a wonderful future. My time horizons are somewhat shorter so will probably never know who was right.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    It was a hilarious interview. Poor Sharma. Why he didn't simply say his leader had a tick that made him say the first thing that came into his head and 'no' he couldn't explain it is a mystery.
    I'm starting to notice quite a few interviews now where this or that cabinet minister has to try and justify some piece of utter bollocks that Boris Johnson has come out with. They take different tacks, depending who it is, but there's no obvious best way to do it. I sense the more senior ones are more able to hint at their exasperation (with Johnson) than the others. Regardless, I feel sorry for them. I know they weren't forced to become lackies, and I know they're paid well, but still, everyone deserves dignity and these Conservative politicians at the court of "Boris" are being cruelly stripped of theirs.
    No-one’s forcing them to stay in the Cabinet. If they had any self-respect they’d have left long ago instead of coming out with the lying tripe most of them do on a daily basis.

Cobblers

Same pathetic squealing as occurred during my childhood in the last meaningful transformative government this nation had under Thatcher.
    She was evil but not stupid, I can’t see where you believe the current cabinet is anything but a group of yes men. At least thatcher had the courage to put in good people in hers. You and redwood must be the only people who are getting what they wanted and up till now have failed to articulate how that leads to a wonderful future. My time horizons are somewhat shorter so will probably never know who was right.
    Don't worry, I think you may have a rough idea.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601

Scott_xP said:

WTO terms. Will not work. For so many importers / exporters. YOU have been told that for months. But know better. Apparently.
    When are the next WTO elections, anyway? I'm looking forward to having my say on its rules.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The Times today suggests that Wiltshire could be heading for tier three this week. I checked the rates, 67 per 100,000 in the last 7 days. WTAF? Another innumerate journalist looking at a % increase?

Areas both E and SW of Swindon are in blue on the interactive map; Swindon itself in dark blue, as is the area with the army camps around Larkhill
    Where I am is white. The county as a whole is at 67 cases per 100,000. If you use the area as a whole for simplicity, then the rate is one of the lowest in the country (bottom 10%). If you are going to look as MSOA then where I am should in tier 1. Can't have it both ways.
    Last time I looked, South Hams was 20 per 100,000. In Tier 2. Cornwall in Tier 1 was 19.

Still reckon we won't get changed though.
    Adding Devon to Cornwall in T1 is likely; I'd have thought. They'll be looking for areas to yield to Tory backbench pressure, and that one is geographically easy and with plenty of Tories to make happy. The more difficult ones are inland where, as turbo says, there are large low-case rural areas but with hotspots like Swindon and the army camps mixed in.
    I think its also pertinent to look at the actual numbers - the army camp has currently 33 cases. Its a special environment. The blue areas near Swindon are mostly just into the 100 -200 range, and usually very small actual numbers, For example Broad Blundsden is 10 case, which could well be 2-3 hours. We are a diluted population in the majority of Wiltshire.
    My main point was really the Times reporting.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

That’s why they’re so fucked off

They seem considerably more relaxed than you

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1338129933202300930
    Jeremy Cliffe. A man whose entire career, mindset, ethos and livelihood is justified by UK membership of the EU. Really. Do better. This is like quoting English “cardinals” after the Reformation

It’s HAPPENED. We’re LEAVING. Grow UP
    "The rest of the EU"? He still thinks we haven't left.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    TBF, a requirement for the top level in British politics in all parties seems to be the ability to do a shameless volte face on the previous policy and then, with a totally straight face, talk about the new policy like you have believed in it all your life.

I could not do it. I cannot defend an obviously crap policy. Thus my stance on Brexit.
    Well, I don’t support it.

But it is not difficult to defend the policy if you are honest about what it involves, the costs and the trade-offs. It’s the dishonesty about these which leads to these embarrassing intellectual gyrations.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    I've just walked past a jumbo agricultural muck spreader pulled over to the roadside with a flat tyre. I'm sure there is an analogy there with something.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

LadyG said:

I don't think the UK will ever be allowed anywhere near the security and defence alliance the US are building to contain and confront China. (QSD).
    Yeah, America is going to exclude its most powerful and reliable ally. Right. Yep. Gotcha
    Aside from the Trump aberration the long standing US policy has been to create groups of regional alliances and bipartisan defence deals. What they don't want is any nation bridging two regional groups except themselves.

If the impeding cold war with China turns hot then the UK will, of course, be expected to tip its disadvantaged youth into the meat grinder. However, what won't be happening is the UK having any input into policy or strategy in Asia. That's the role of QSD.
    Trump was not an aberration. He was an evolution. Trump got 70m+ votes despite being (to my mind) the most inept and unsuitable presidential candidate in many decades. A vile, misogynist fool. Yet he got those votes. A better MAGA-populist candidate would have won, easily.

America, as it loses its global hegemony, will gather its allies more closely and warmly. Because it has to, facing China. It is no longer the unique superpower of 1992.

I predict this will mean a warming of relations with close, reliable western allies, especially the Five Eyes, more especially Britain (now outside the EU). China is so powerful this is inevitable.

• Options

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Cobblers
    At some point we need to be able to distinguish between what is clear and obvious shilling/propaganda for the Tory Party and what is interesting and insightful debate from the right.

I believe we have reached that point now with some users.
    So from my perspective as a right winger what do you think wasn't reasonable for me to say?

That this Cabinet is more credible and honest than 45 Minutes Teflon Tony? If you're old enough to remember that?

Or that this is a productive (from my perspective) government?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,971
    LadyG said:

Roger said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

FF43 said:

Roger said:

In part it is about protecting the EU institution. All membership organisations need to maximise the value of membership. If you are out you don't get what you get when you are in. I wouldn't assume others will follow us out the door (aka "free themselves from the EU yoke"). Brexit has so far had the opposite effect of making people in the EU appreciate what they have got.
    Bollocks. The trauma of Brexit has made eurosceptic member states worry about the cost and grief of divorce. And rightly: Article 50 is designed to be horrifically painful. That was the explicit intent of the guy who wrote it, a Brit, Lord Kerr. He intended to deter future secessions, as he has admitted, by making departure a nightmare.

This is very different from making skeptical countries *love the EU even more*. They don’t.
    There has been a positive benefit to being in the EU whilst the UK was making huge contributions that could be showered around as regional aid. Now we have gone - not so much. Much more stick, far less carrot.
    In the medium term the EU, post Brexit, will either evolve into a loose, almost meaningless constellation of states with equal rights - like Eurovision (now including Australia) - or, more likely, it will become a solar system around the sun/euro and the original six members, with different levels of association for more peripheral planets.

Even by the late much lamented SeanT's standards that's bollocks!!
    Groucho at 7pm tonight? It may be our last chance before Tier 3 on Wednesday. X
    I'd have loved to but I'm not there at the moment!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,308
    LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

LadyG said:

Trump was not an aberration. He was an evolution. Trump got 70m+ votes despite being (to my mind) the most inept and unsuitable presidential candidate in many decades. A vile, misogynist fool. Yet he got those votes. A better MAGA-populist candidate would have won, easily.

America, as it loses its global hegemony, will gather its allies more closely and warmly. Because it has to, facing China. It is no longer the unique superpower of 1992.

I predict this will mean a warming of relations with close, reliable western allies, especially the Five Eyes, more especially Britain (now outside the EU). China is so powerful this is inevitable.

Yes and India will probably be drawn into that Alliance too, it is the largest democracy on earth and will be a top 3 global economy by 2050 and has a huge military
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,308
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

The UK is the EU's second largest export destination after the USA and most French fishermen fish in UK waters, it can hardly ignore us
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So frigging what?

Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to. We have been told to prepare for WTO terms. No if's or buts. No wait for the negotiations to end. Simple and clean message: prepare for WTO.

You can squeal and complain and stamp your feet and hold your breath until you go blue in the face saying it is unfair and WTO terms don't work. Doesn't change anything though. If WTO terms occur then getting angry won't change anything.

Dunt claims people have not been told what to prepare for, that is a lie. It is categorically untrue. People keep talking about the importance of honesty but this LIE by Dunt and others gets spread consistently

Businesses have been told to prepare for WTO. Whether you like it or not. Whether it works or not. And it may be reality in a matter of days.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,110
    LadyG said:

Right, but what they won't be doing is empowering or even permitting any other country to be anything other than a regional power. Everyone has to stay in their lane.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited December 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    TBF, a requirement for the top level in British politics in all parties seems to be the ability to do a shameless volte face on the previous policy and then, with a totally straight face, talk about the new policy like you have believed in it all your life.

I could not do it. I cannot defend an obviously crap policy. Thus my stance on Brexit.
    Well, I don’t support it.

But it is not difficult to defend the policy if you are honest about what it involves, the costs and the trade-offs. It’s the dishonesty about these which leads to these embarrassing intellectual gyrations.
    Yes, I agree. There is a political tradition in Britain (and many countries, but not all) that you may hesitate for ages to decide on your policy, but once it's decided you portray it as entirely perfect and free of downsides. I've never seen the sense of that. If Brexiteers had said "It's likely to be extremely difficult to get a deal after leaving that gives us all we want, but it'll be worth it so we can be free", that would be so much easier for them now, than the "Of course we can get an excellent deal, no problem" stuff.

Or one can at least be honest that one's changed one's mind. Jens Otto Krag, a Danish PM, once reversed a previous policy and, on being challenged, said blandly, "We have a policy until we have a new policy." It was seen at the time as rather brazen efforontery but...well... actually a recognisable statement of what we all do sometimes.
  • Options
    LadyG said:
    Is he? It could easily be true that one minister assumes there will be a vaccination passport, and also true (as Gove says) that no-one has developed a plan to implement one. Since this would be an ID card scheme by the back door, shouldn't we have heard more from the privacy lobby if the government was close to rolling out said passport?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,245

Another new nuclear power, the government are having a giraffe....

BBC News - Sizewell C: Government in talks to fund £20bn nuclear plant
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55299511

For £7.5 billion, you'd get an equivalent amount of power from the Cardiff Tidal Lagoon. Paid for without subsidy, by private investment. Zero carbon, zero waste. The planning is well advanced, it could be producing by 2030.

Nuclear might have been an answer, once. No longer.
    You might get somewhere near the Sizewell C projected output from a Severn Barrage. The Cardiff lagoon would be nowhere near, I believe.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Cobblers

There are some not just good but excellent people in this Cabinet. Especially Sunak, Gove and Truss.
  • Options
    Shocking. Very young. Very sad.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

One of the GREAT benefits of Brexit is that Remoaners will finally have to STFU, because, quite frankly, no one will care. Listening to people like Maugham or Dunt or Alibhai-Brown will be the 21st century equivalent of going to Bedlam to laugh at the loonies. Entertaining in a way, but really quite inhumane and ultimately very dull. Let them rant and wear their tricorn hats and think they are Napoleon. Let them do it unobserved

Or we could simply visit PB and read some of your more out there posts.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

When are the next WTO elections, anyway? I'm looking forward to having my say on its rules.
    Perhaps you can say when WTO changes the rules without countries getting a say like the EU constantly changes its rules via QMV?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,721

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Cobblers

There are some not just good but excellent people in this Cabinet. Especially Sunak, Gove and Truss.
    I would not trust one of them an inch. You will live and learn, perhaps.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Cobblers

You've got an illiberal view of the world though.

You don't trust anyone who doesn't agree with your narrow minded philosophy. I can see credit in people I disagree with.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

The UK is the EU's second largest export destination after the USA and most French fishermen fish in UK waters, it can hardly ignore us
    The idea that people in Paris, Berlin, Brussels are “far more worried” right now about, er, “data” as compared to Brexit (due in 3 weeks) is a quite delicious Remoaner stupidity. It’s a kind of mental disease. The theory, I guess, is that Britain has been so emotionally crass it doesn’t matter any more and all the posh, sophisticated people in... Frankfurt.... have already accepted our departure and are now focused on manure tariffs from Ukraine.

The people that say this shite are either fucking stupid or fucking mad and I suspect it’s a combo of both. And on that note, good day, as I have to do some actual work. Anon.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

LadyG said:

FF43 said:

Roger said:

Lord Kerr sets out his reasons for Article 50 here . They aren't at all as you claim. Basically if any country was stupid enough to want to leave the EU, Article 50 provided a less chaotic way of going about it than the alternative.
    @LadyG sees flat out to have invented Kerr's position.
    In his own words:
    “I don’t believe that it will be possible for the Commission to insist — and I’m not convinced that they will try to insist — that the money has to be all tied up before one can talk about anything else,” he said. “If I were the British negotiators, I would go clutching this article in my hand and say ‘But hang on, we have to have a framework.’”

How that equates to "making departure a nightmare" is for @LadyG to explain.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,594
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

The idea that people in Paris, Berlin, Brussels are “far more worried” right now about, er, “data” as compared to Brexit (due in 3 weeks) is a quite delicious Remoaner stupidity. It’s a kind of mental disease. The theory, I guess, is that Britain has been so emotionally crass it doesn’t matter any more and all the posh, sophisticated people in... Frankfurt.... have already accepted our departure and are now focused on manure tariffs from Ukraine.

The people that say this shite are either fucking stupid or fucking mad and I suspect it’s a combo of both. And on that note, good day, as I have to do some actual work. Anon.
    Twat
  • Options

Shocking. Very young. Very sad.
    Sorry to hear that and so young, from a lifetime Manchester United supporter
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

So frigging what?

Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to. We have been told to prepare for WTO terms. No if's or buts. No wait for the negotiations to end. Simple and clean message: prepare for WTO.

You can squeal and complain and stamp your feet and hold your breath until you go blue in the face saying it is unfair and WTO terms don't work. Doesn't change anything though. If WTO terms occur then getting angry won't change anything.

Dunt claims people have not been told what to prepare for, that is a lie. It is categorically untrue. People keep talking about the importance of honesty but this LIE by Dunt and others gets spread consistently

Businesses have been told to prepare for WTO. Whether you like it or not. Whether it works or not. And it may be reality in a matter of days.
    And those who have prepared least are the government themselves.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,303

Yes, I agree. There is a political tradition in Britain (and many countries, but not all) that you may hesitate for ages to decide on your policy, but once it's decided you portray it as entirely perfect and free of downsides. I've never seen the sense of that. If Brexiteers had said "It's likely to be extremely difficult to get a deal after leaving that gives us all we want, but it'll be worth it so we can be free", that would be so much easier for them now, than the "Of course we can get an excellent deal, no problem" stuff.

If they said that before the vote, they wouldn't win.

If they said it after the vote, we would have a much better deal that they don't like.

It was always in their narrow interest to paint Brexit as risk and pain free.

At the point where this is revealed as bollocks to an ungrateful Nation it is far too late for us to do anything about it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

TimT said:

nico679 said:

DavidL said:

I don’t think that I agree with @Cyclefree’s analysis. This is not just a power play.

Both sides want a deal or, perhaps more accurately, neither side wants the blame for failing to have a deal. The UK probably wants a deal more because it has a bigger impact on it. So the EU has the power, right?

Not necessarily. In my experience a party that is willing to gamble more, to take the bigger risk, often gets what it wants. Their position may be irrational but if they hold in there sometimes the other side’s desire for a deal means agreement is reached on terms closer to what the reckless party wants than you would expect.

The UK is being reckless here. They are giving the impression of being genuinely willing to risk no deal. That may be what they end up with. But it’s not a sure thing, whatever the objective measure of their respective strengths are.

Interesting point . I think there’s two ways to look at this .The UK has both a weak and strong hand which might seem strange at the same time .

The weak part is the EU has the much bigger market and no deal is likely to harm the UK more , the strong part is Johnson is now viewed as willing to burn the whole house down . The EU might be wondering that he might just be crazy enough to go for no deal . I personally think the sovereignty argument is a pile of tosh as all trade agreements mean you give some of that up especially with a big market but he can always revert to that and will have a mostly willing press to argue for him . Personally I don’t see any downsides to him getting a deal . He has an 80 seat majority , the ERG don’t have enough votes to cause him problems . Even if they hate the deal and say they put the letters in , he’d comfortably win that vote . The next election is years away , the public are unlikely to be voting on Brexit if he gets a deal but could well do if he doesn’t and the economy suffers. Interestingly any deal will go to a vote , legally this doesn’t need to happen but I suspect it’s only being done to put Labour in a difficult position .
    Indeed, DavidL.

The time honored way to win at Chicken may appear irrational, but is highly rational. You signal your absolute determination to win by throwing your steering wheel out of the window (while the other driver is watching so he/she knows what you have done). The other driver then knows that he/she cannot win - the 'best' they can achieve is a head-on collision, so the only rational option left at that point is for that other driver to steer away and lose.

Will is about the most important thing in negotiations - look at Putin.
    But it would be a head-on collision between a medium-sized van and a largeish but lighter milk-float. The EU and Britain are not equal in economic size, and this is why Johnson's technique hasn't worked so far.
    But size both doesn't matter and that isn't the relationship between them. People like you make much of the fact the EU is bigger than the UK but don't put much thought beyond that. Size isn't everything and the UK is not some weak, small milk float.

The EU combined is the world's second largest economy, the UK is the world's sixth largest.

The relevant size ratio between the EU and the UK is comparable to that between the UK and Saudi Arabia, even with all the oil Saudi Arabia deals with. I wonder how many here would say Saudi Arabia is a milk float relative to the UK?
    Most people would say that Saudi Arabia is further away than Europe. In the gravitational model of international trade, distance (or distance squared) counts as well as size, and Dominic Raab just texted me to say France is just past Dover. He's probably never been to Northern Ireland.
    Well indeed distance matters but that cuts both ways. We are more valuable to them too.

People make out like the UK is tiny relative to the EU but it's not true. Their economy isn't 27x our own, it is "just" 5x. Or in the inane words of WhisperingOracle it is a mere five milk floats.

To do a further illustration if the UK was Northern Ireland then the EU wouldn't be England it would be Scotland in relative size.
    Uh, no. The economy of England alone would be the 7th or 8th biggest in the world. Around 2.5 trillion dollars.

The economy of Scotland is vastly smaller. Twelve times smaller. 200 billion dollars.

The EU is losing a sixth of its GDP, its equal biggest military, its most important city, its best universities and the home of the English language, and its most influential “soft power”. That’s why they’re so fucked off
    Uh, yes, that was my point.

The UK is one fifth of the size of the EU, like NI is one fifth of the size of Scotland.
    So NI and Scotland are destined to end up in different political entities? You've a double chance of winning that one!
    We can always hope! :D
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

LadyG said:

To those 70m+ voters, he was actually the ablest and best presidential candidate in ages because he stood up for their interests. He didn't sell them out like the Republican or Democrat establishments and, whatever he may have thought of the working classes in his mind, no one can deny that he was in his element when he was addressing the crowds who had turned up, and far less comfortable when he had to deal with professional politicians and, for want of a better word, the elite.

As for this whole "vile, misogynist fool" thing, what a joke. People on here were praising Biden even though he faced the Tara Reade episode plus other women accusing him. But hey they must have been lying, right, because he's a Democrat? The same with this one who has come out accusing Andrew Cuomo of the same thing. She's getting the same treatment - look at the replies on Twitter - the ones who proclaim themselves as being "progressive feminists" and post the same old anti-Trump stuff are the ones most vehement about calling her a liar.

https://twitter.com/LindseyBoylan/status/1338125549756182529

Just admit it. Whether you believe someone is sexist or a groper or not doesn't depend on the facts, more which party the accused is a member of.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

Hold on... @HYUFD, as a good loyal Conservative has bought into the "they don't want us to leave, they'll give us goodies to make us stay close" narrative. Which the EU are stubbornly refusing to play along with. You, as a wise woman of the world will recognise that the simplest way to send a young man insane is for the object of his unreturned affections to ignore him completely.

The worst blow to British pride so far has been the realisation of how little the EU are into us. Which is why some people are trying to deny it even now.
  • Options
    I see Sean isn't even pretending to be nice under his current username, he's just gone back to abusive posting and/or inane nonsense.
  • Options
    Good morning to you @MrEd, hope you're staying safe.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,721

ClippP said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Cobblers

You've got an illiberal view of the world though.
    You don't trust anyone who doesn't agree with your narrow minded philosophy. I can see credit in people I disagree with.
    Wrong as usual, Mr Thompson. In the Good Old Days there were Conservative politicians whom I disagreed with strongly, but they were honest and I trusted them. Not anybody in Johnson´s cabinet though.
  • Options

I see Sean isn't even pretending to be nice under his current username, he's just gone back to abusive posting and/or inane nonsense.

He is not alone in that respect to be fair

Brexit has polarised emotions and in some cases driven some to despair
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,541
    LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:
    Freedom to ignore the pathetic, self serving, myopic europhile wankery of people like him, or, indeed, you?

One of the GREAT benefits of Brexit is that Remoaners will finally have to STFU, because, quite frankly, no one will care. Listening to people like Maugham or Dunt or Alibhai-Brown will be the 21st century equivalent of going to Bedlam to laugh at the loonies. Entertaining in a way, but really quite inhumane and ultimately very dull. Let them rant and wear their tricorn hats and think they are Napoleon. Let them do it unobserved
    I preferred it when you just talked bollocks about Covid.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,108
    One for SPOTY-watchers: what’s going on here? Is this an elaborate plan, a publicity stunt or an athlete who genuinely doesn’t want to be nominated?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2020/12/14/tyson-fury-takes-legal-action-against-bbc-sports-personality/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,108
    One of the good ones. Very sad day.
  • Options
  • Options

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

Hold on... @HYUFD, as a good loyal Conservative has bought into the "they don't want us to leave, they'll give us goodies to make us stay close" narrative. Which the EU are stubbornly refusing to play along with. You, as a wise woman of the world will recognise that the simplest way to send a young man insane is for the object of his unreturned affections to ignore him completely.

The worst blow to British pride so far has been the realisation of how little the EU are into us. Which is why some people are trying to deny it even now.
    Bollocks.

If the EU just weren't that into us they could have easily agreed a pro forma FTA. Take the CETA agreement, Ctrl+F Canada, Ctrl+R United Kingdom and Replace All. Ok maybe a touch more complex but not that much more.

If us leaving their Customs Union etc was such a mortal self inflicted wound then they would have nothing to fear from a clean bog standard FTA.

The fact they have spent years trying desperately to keep us entwined to their rules is proof positive that despite their dishonesty and pretence they really are that into us and really don't want us diverging from them. They're terrified of the concept.
  • Options

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

Bollocks.

If the EU just weren't that into us they could have easily agreed a pro forma FTA. Take the CETA agreement, Ctrl+F Canada, Ctrl+R United Kingdom and Replace All. Ok maybe a touch more complex but not that much more.

If us leaving their Customs Union etc was such a mortal self inflicted wound then they would have nothing to fear from a clean bog standard FTA.

The fact they have spent years trying desperately to keep us entwined to their rules is proof positive that despite their dishonesty and pretence they really are that into us and really don't want us diverging from them. They're terrified of the concept.
    You really do know nothing.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

Bollocks.

You really do know nothing.
    I am rubber you are glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

If you're going to reply at least try answering the points made.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,819
    Covid: London likely to move to tier 3 amid rising rates

"London faces a move to tier three - England's highest level of coronavirus restrictions - in the coming days, the BBC has been told."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55301192
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,968
    Nigelb said:

Another new nuclear power, the government are having a giraffe....

BBC News - Sizewell C: Government in talks to fund £20bn nuclear plant
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55299511

For £7.5 billion, you'd get an equivalent amount of power from the Cardiff Tidal Lagoon. Paid for without subsidy, by private investment. Zero carbon, zero waste. The planning is well advanced, it could be producing by 2030.

Nuclear might have been an answer, once. No longer.
    You might get somewhere near the Sizewell C projected output from a Severn Barrage. The Cardiff lagoon would be nowhere near, I believe.
    I hesitate to get stung by the bee in @MarqueeMark's bonnet.

However, the last numbers I saw for the Tidal Lagoon was a demand for a guaranteed price of nearly £90 per MWh for nearly a century.

And it very much has a feel of pin the tail on the subsidy donkey, as they have come up with different numbers like a game of Bingo.

Does not encourage faith in the reliability of the predicted outcome if they change it with their underpants.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

A quick glance at the ARD website shows the following headlines:

Coronavirus
    Coronavirus
    :
    :
    Coronavirus
    Environment
    US election
    US hacker attack
    Racism in baseball
    Departure of veteran news anchor
    Refugees in Bosnia
    EU asylum reform
    SpaceX launch
    Champions League

The Brexit negotiations are a small note under Foreign News.
This discussion has been closed.