Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s believed to be the largest political bet ever – £400

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    BobaFett said:

For once I agree with Dan Hodges.

The idea that you spend public money indoctrinating children with your favourite superstition is scandalous.

Public money is taxpayers' money. Parents who send their children to faith schools are taxpayers. They're entitled to have some say in how their children are educated.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Mr. Eagles, I have it on good authority that Uruguay will win the World Cup.

Do they have any good players?
    They have the world's greatest player, Luis Suarez.
    Isn't he a cheating racist? Also I had been informed that Messi was the greatest player who'd ever donned studs but I pay little attention.

Mr Dancer doesn't the craft of football require that a further 10 such players be on the pitch to help with some others to replace them if things aren't working?
    The FA Commission was clear he wasn't a racist.

Messi is overrated, he's never done anything at the past two world cups.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    shadsy said:
    If they can escape Holland and Spain they are an excellent each way shot, but I fear for their group chances.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,023
    Mr. Jim, apparently. It's 200mph too slow, if you ask me.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    isam said:
    The Blair/Campbell Legacy.

How different would things have been if Hussein had been allowed to stay in the power?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Well here we have an alternative culture - bigoted, sexist and autocratic

Judging by what is happening in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Nigeria and Somalia, it seems non-EU immigration is potentially far more toxic than EU immigration.

And to their credit the coalition have restricted the numbers of non-EU migrants.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

BobaFett said:

The idea that you spend public money indoctrinating children with your favourite superstition is scandalous.

Public money is taxpayers' money. Parents who send their children to faith schools are taxpayers. They're entitled to have some say in how their children are educated.

They can brainwash them at home. Keep schools secular.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486

O/T

Charles Clark puts the boot in to his own side:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/06/charles-clarke-labour-has-no-credible-economic-plan-and-voters-dont-see-miliband-as-pm/

Mind you I'd take the old goat more seriously if he could afford to buy a razor - either grow a proper set or shave off, appearing with two day stubble just makes people look like losers

The trouble is that Clarke is a Blairites so Labour won't listen even if he's right which he arguably is. The second trouble is that if a Brownite stepped up and said the same stuff they wouldn't listen either. Labour are stuck neither listening to Blairites it Brownites simply because they are Blairites or Brownites.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

BobaFett said:

That's a very generous concession on your part, but the parents will say "bugger that!"

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033
    Socrates said:

isam said:

isam said:

Faith schools, and I would guess these "quasi" faith schools as well, have successful students because they are strict on discipline.

Going back to our Labour roots are we, Sam? :)

"One school even banned Christmas" - DM front page today.

And let's remember how this happened:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/dont-listen-to-the-whingers--london-needs-immigrants-6786170.html

"What's missing is not only a sense of the benefits of immigration but also of where it came from. It didn't just happen: the deliberate policy of ministers from late 2000 until at least February last year, when the Government introduced a points-based system, was to open up the UK to mass migration....

...London's role as a magnet for immigration busted wide open the stale 1990s clichés about multiculturalism: it's a question of genuine diversity now, not just tacking a few Afro-Caribbean and Bengali events on to a white British mainstream....

...Eventually published in January 2001, the innocuously labelled "RDS Occasional Paper no. 67", "Migration: an economic and social analysis" focused heavily on the labour market case.

But the earlier drafts I saw also included a driving political purpose: that mass immigration was the way that the Government was going to make the UK truly multicultural.

I remember coming away from some discussions with the clear sense that the policy was intended - even if this wasn't its main purpose - to rub the Right's nose in diversity and render their arguments out of date."

The Labour Party deliberately wanted to move away from what they regarded as "a white British mainstream" to make the UK "truly multicultural" and "rub the Right's nose in diversity". Well here we have an alternative culture - bigoted, sexist and autocratic. They have reaped a whirlwind on this country, and Theresa May and the Conservatives have failed to even get immigration back to pre-97 levels, let alone deal with Labour's toxic legacy.

I dont think that had anything to do with the schhols in Birmingham though. That was immigration from a long time before, when progressive politicians were refusing to listen to warnings from other politicians they smeared as racist.

Nevertheless, this bit should be used by UKIP whenever possible

"Ministers were very nervous about the whole thing. For despite Roche's keenness to make her big speech and to be upfront, there was a reluctance elsewhere in government to discuss what increased immigration would mean, above all for Labour's core white working-class vote.

This shone through even in the published report: the "social outcomes" it talks about are solely those for immigrants."
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

BobaFett said:

That's a very generous concession on your part, but the parents will say "bugger that!"

If I came to power, public expressions of religious faith and public religious meetings/services would be illegal, so they'd probably be grateful for my more tolerant stance in the shadows,

Edit - ok, maybe not! But keep schools secular. Learn about the world, not your own world
  • Options

shadsy said:
    If they can escape Holland and Spain they are an excellent each way shot, but I fear for their group chances.
    Chile - available at '50' with betfair = 46.5/1 net in old money.

• Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Mr. Eagles, I have it on good authority that Uruguay will win the World Cup.

Do they have any good players?
    They have the world's greatest player, Luis Suarez.
    Isn't he a cheating racist? Also I had been informed that Messi was the greatest player who'd ever donned studs but I pay little attention.

Mr Dancer doesn't the craft of football require that a further 10 such players be on the pitch to help with some others to replace them if things aren't working?
    The FA Commission was clear he wasn't a racist.

Messi is overrated, he's never done anything at the past two world cups.
    Third time lucky though ;)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

BobaFett said:

Even if your favourite superstition is aetheism?
    Avast Mr Llama! How is atheism a superstition? Surely belief in the supernatural is superstition. Belike and all that!
    Belay that, Cap'n Doc! Aetheism is the absence of belief that God or Gods exist. That is not in itself a denial of religion. There are groups that accept there are no gods and yet have rituals that the members believe are beneficial. The difference between such beliefs and what Mr. Fett is pleased to call superstitions is fag paper thin, if it exists at all.

Belike.
  • Options

isam said:

How different would things have been if Hussein had been allowed to stay in the power?
    I couldnt guess how things might be different in Iraq, but 7/7 might not have happened, and Lee Rigby would probably be alive
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916

Tories plotting to form a coalition with Northern Ireland MPs to avoid sharing power again with Clegg

EXCLUSIVE: Senior Tories examining plan to form a government with DUP

David Cameron needs to win more than 316 seats to secure outright majority

If he falls just short, could rely on 8 Democratic Unionist MPs to take power

Polls suggest a narrow result is possible at the 2015 general election

Around 40 Tory MPs are ready to block a second coalition with Lib Dems

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653992/Tories-plotting-form-coalition-Northern-Ireland-MPs-avoid-sharing-power-Clegg.html

Afternoon all :)

This is hardly news - in fact, it's the equivalent of Sunday's leftovers which have been my lunch today and have not travelled well (they may not have finished travelling yet).

Let me get this quite clear - IF the Conservatives are (narrowly) the largest party in the next HoC, they would eschew a deal with the LDs and if they couldn't cut a deal with the DUP, they would sulk off onto the Opposition benches while Labour, the LDs and whoever put together a new Government which might prove much more durable than some Tories hope.

Fair enough...

It would be nice if these whingeing Tories actually showed some spirit and put up against Cameron or resigned the Conservative Whip but they've spent the last four years as a kind of "Fifth Column" within the Parliamentary party.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Surely Financier has regularly placed larger bets than this?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ToryJim said:

That's either a sign of confidence or someone with an awful lot of money to lose. Although I guess you aren't getting a 25% return in 3 months anywhere else.

Tax free as well, so the annualised post tax return is fantastic when compared to anything else.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Tories plotting to form a coalition with Northern Ireland MPs to avoid sharing power again with Clegg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653992/Tories-plotting-form-coalition-Northern-Ireland-MPs-avoid-sharing-power-Clegg.html

Afternoon all :)

This is hardly news - in fact, it's the equivalent of Sunday's leftovers which have been my lunch today and have not travelled well (they may not have finished travelling yet).

Let me get this quite clear - IF the Conservatives are (narrowly) the largest party in the next HoC, they would eschew a deal with the LDs and if they couldn't cut a deal with the DUP, they would sulk off onto the Opposition benches while Labour, the LDs and whoever put together a new Government which might prove much more durable than some Tories hope.

Fair enough...

It would be nice if these whingeing Tories actually showed some spirit and put up against Cameron or resigned the Conservative Whip but they've spent the last four years as a kind of "Fifth Column" within the Parliamentary party.
    Or commissioned some private polling that was leaked to damage Cameron?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Speedy said:

Because at this rate they will reach the US embassy in Baghdad by the end of the month and the US will be forced to defend it's embassy, effectively restarting the Iraq war.

It's worth remembering that both Iran - Shia and on the side of Assad and bordering Iraq to the north - and Saudi Arabia - Sunni and on the side of some of the Syrian Rebels and bordering Iraq to the south - have a close interest in developments inside Iraq.

I'm less worried by what the US does if their embassy ends up under threat then the likelihood of either of those two countries becoming more involved in a wider proxy war.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Mr. Llama, a day or two of stubble suits some chaps...

Mr. Speedy, cheers for that post. We will not support Assad. The Government's said too much about him and his regime to perform a volte-face.

Blair was a ****ing disaster. Worth mentioning that when some attack UKIP for their views, or the Conservatives for alleged Islamophobia for not shrugging when white women are described as prostitutes in schools, that it was the right-on, politically correct, mainstream Tony Blair who was a lying, incompetent, cretinous ****.

It's all about public consumption, the government can support the anti rebel government in Syria without saying it publicly, infact the U turn might be already in progress, with Iraq they do not need any reservations since the iraqi government is supposed to be publicly a US ally.

But the key is to stop supplying the syrian rebels with money and arms because these are used against other neighbouring countries such as Iraq.
    That Al Qaeda is using american supplied humvees to move its forces in Iraq is a clue for what is going wrong.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    I wonder how many kids would choose to be religious at age 18 were it not for a bunch of adults spending large amounts of time and effort teaching them throughout childhood that science is wrong, and a bloke turned water into wine and came back from the dead.

I feel bad enough pretending to my four year old that Santa exists.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

In reply to Charles:-

Well I think kids who go to a non- faith school would do just as well as going to a faith school. Faith schools only look good because they have good 'raw material'. On an individual level kids should do the same imo. Its also one of the reasons why private schools tend to seem to do really well compared to state schools . I like Mr Gove and appreciate his efforts to improve state schooling despite the sneers from supposed lefties who should applaud this attempt to bring up standards for poorer children.

As I said yesterday though, it is bloody silly to base a child's education on what fairy tale about God their parent' believe (or pretend to believe) in. If you have to , replace faith schools with another selection criteria be it grammar schools (at least it is fairly logical to base a kid's education on how good at it they are)

I suspect you are overlooking school culture, cohesion, discipline, etc which will typically be higher in a faith school (although I take the raw material point, which is why I look at the value added stats).

The fundamental point, though, is you are disrupting the education of specific cohorts without having a beter or comparable provision in place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    One thing to note in our group is that we play Uruguay before Italy.

That could be to our advantage if Suarez's knee isn't better by then.

Annoyingly Uruguay play Costa Rica first, which is bad news for Suarez top scorer bets I reckon as I doubt Italy will let him rack up the goals and he could well miss the Rica game
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I couldnt guess how things might be different in Iraq, but 7/7 might not have happened, and Lee Rigby would probably be alive
    Counter factual theorising is all very well but you can't account for what might have happened that didn't. Plus by now Hussein would have been 77 or possibly dead. No guarantee that a transition wouldn't have been possible or peaceable. No guarantee that the answers of armchair diplomats are any better than the real ones, could be a deal worse. If Iraq hadn't been invaded things would undoubtedly have been different, but could have been worse.
  • Options

Surely the Tories are far too principled to spend 5 years ramming through England only legislation on the back on Northern Irish votes? ;)
  • Options
    @BobAFett

"I feel bad enough pretending to my four year old that Santa exists."

Why do you do it?
  • Options

Or commissioned some private polling that was leaked to damage Cameron?

No, because they know that Cameron is the biggest asset the Conservatives have and for those in marginal seats, the best chance for their own survival is to hope to keep their seat on his coat tails.

If, however, the Conservatives are out of office by this time next year, I suspect David Cameron's tenure as LOTO (and I mean he's done the job once) will be very brief.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

If you read that article, don't miss the last paragraph - if it's really true that Vince thinks he could be Chancellor in a Lab/LD coalition, it shows a hilarious degree self-delusion.
  • Options
    I can't see how Suarez will be match fit.

Reminds me of the fiasco a few years back where we took Rooney when he was clearly unfit.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and clearly either someone with more money than sense or Gordon Brown putting on a funny accent.

While there is no doubt the Better Together side is raising its game, Gordon Brown's intervention is like a kiss of death. At luchtime a BBC Scotland journalist reported that he had spoken to several Scottish Labour MPs since Gordon Brown suggested yesterday that there should be a Salmond v Cameron debate. The comments of these MPs about Brown were so incendiary as to be unrepeatable!!!
  • Options
    @Neil

See my post FPT.

I doubt Financier would trouble himself with such small beer.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

isam said:

isam said:

Counter factual theorising is all very well but you can't account for what might have happened that didn't. Plus by now Hussein would have been 77 or possibly dead. No guarantee that a transition wouldn't have been possible or peaceable. No guarantee that the answers of armchair diplomats are any better than the real ones, could be a deal worse. If Iraq hadn't been invaded things would undoubtedly have been different, but could have been worse.

Someone asked a question and I answered it, didnt say it was fact
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One thing to note in our group is that we play Uruguay before Italy.

That could be to our advantage if Suarez's knee isn't better by then.

Annoyingly Uruguay play Costa Rica first, which is bad news for Suarez top scorer bets I reckon as I doubt Italy will let him rack up the goals and he could well miss the Rica game

My tip for Top Goalscorer is... Mario Balotelli ew at 45/1
  • Options

Speedy said:

Because at this rate they will reach the US embassy in Baghdad by the end of the month and the US will be forced to defend it's embassy, effectively restarting the Iraq war.

It's worth remembering that both Iran - Shia and on the side of Assad and bordering Iraq to the north - and Saudi Arabia - Sunni and on the side of some of the Syrian Rebels and bordering Iraq to the south - have a close interest in developments inside Iraq.

I'm less worried by what the US does if their embassy ends up under threat then the likelihood of either of those two countries becoming more involved in a wider proxy war.
    True, western support for the rebels has created a regional monster that is pushing Syria, Iraq and Iran into an alliance.
    I've read that Lebanon, Jordan and Israel are very worried that those rebels are out of control, Jordan in particular is very vulnerable since it hosts a large rebel contingency that might become a threat to the monarchy there, like the PLO in the 1970's.

It's like 1980's Afghanistan all over again, but this time it's situated right in the heart of the middle east and bordering NATO.
  • Options
    @Hurst

My wife thinks I should.

It's not something I am comfortable with!
  • Options

If you read that article, don't miss the last paragraph - if it's really true that Vince thinks he could be Chancellor in a Lab/LD coalition, it shows a hilarious degree self-delusion.
    TBF - Given Balls' toxic ratings, where he trails Osborne, the most popular Tory chancellor since Lawson, you can understand why Cable might think Ed Miliband ditch Ed Balls.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I wonder how many kids would choose to be religious at age 18 were it not for a bunch of adults spending large amounts of time and effort teaching them throughout childhood that science is wrong, and a bloke turned water into wine and came back from the dead.

What do you mean "that Santa exists"? Of course he exists, he comes down my dining room chimney every 24th December and leaves me lots of lovely presents. I even send a boy up the chimney a few days beforehand to make sure it is clear enough for him to come down.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

You can say that about many things. My parents never took me to pubs as a kid hence until my mid 20s I had a mild fear of them. I was never exposed to football so am fantastically uninterested. I was bought up religious but am an avowed rationalist. Everyone is going to be affected by the belief systems of their parents and you aren't going to eradicate that. There are kids bought up in vegan households is that wrong or immoral? Sometimes we cannot correct for every perceived deficiency etc
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    taffys said:

Well here we have an alternative culture - bigoted, sexist and autocratic

Judging by what is happening in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Nigeria and Somalia, it seems non-EU immigration is potentially far more toxic than EU immigration.

And to their credit the coalition have restricted the numbers of non-EU migrants.

They've cut it by about 25%, but it's still well up on 1990 levels.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    £400,000? That's the price of a whole broom cupboard.
  • Options
    isam said:

ToryJim said:

isam said:

isam said:

Nor was I suggesting you had. Just pointing out the issues with cointerfactuals.
  • Options

TBF - Given Balls' toxic ratings, where he trails Osborne, the most popular Tory chancellor since Lawson, you can understand why Cable might think Ed Miliband ditch Ed Balls.

Just think of the back-stabbing which would ensue - it would make the Blair/Brown feud look like a friendly disagreement amongst close friends.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not opening the can of worms is not worse, Saddam had a clear heir, like Gaddafi had.
    The future back then was more or less predictable with a stable status quo and more or less peace.
    Now it's an endless war with today's friend becoming tommorow's enemy on a constant basis.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

isam said:

ToryJim said:

isam said:

isam said:

Nor was I suggesting you had. Just pointing out the issues with cointerfactuals.
    Pas de probleme, agree w your post about correcting percieved deficiencies
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Neil said:

Surely the Tories are far too principled to spend 5 years ramming through England only legislation on the back on Northern Irish votes? ;)
    West Lothian question will be replaced by the Derry question ?
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Just think of the back-stabbing which would ensue - it would make the Blair/Brown feud look like a friendly disagreement amongst close friends.
    It would be so worth it.

Cable 25/1 to be next Chancellor with Shadsy

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-chancellor
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

isam said:

isam said:

Crikey, Mr. Jim. If Saddam had not been toppled he might well by now have snuffed it through natural causes and his two odious sons may have taken over. It is still a long stretch to see the loss of human life and bloodshed equal to that which has occurred since we decided to join the Septics in the most un-thought through invasion in history. Saddam was a monster, his sons were worse, but would they really have been worse for the Iraqi Joe?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I was awful as the tooth fairy. I kept on forgetting to swap the tooth out for some money.

I ended up getting my daughter to write a letter of complaint so that I could reply with a letter of apology - and interest for the delay.

Not a patch on Tolkien's efforts though.
  • Options
    Serious question, do any of you chaps in Englandshire expect the shower of numpties recently arrived in Brazil to do anything other than be on a plane home on conclusion of the group stage? They really are totally uninspiring and instead of actively supporting Italy and the other teams playing them, I just want them to be put out of their misery. Not a ball kicked and it seems half of them are already nursing injuries. Just not a patch on the likes of Beckham, Nevilles x 2, Scoles etc from a decade or so ago.
  • Options

Neil said:

Tbf the West Lothian question was originally an Irish question anyway, they'd only be reclaiming it.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

isam said:

isam said:

Crikey, Mr. Jim. If Saddam had not been toppled he might well by now have snuffed it through natural causes and his two odious sons may have taken over. It is still a long stretch to see the loss of human life and bloodshed equal to that which has occurred since we decided to join the Septics in the most un-thought through invasion in history. Saddam was a monster, his sons were worse, but would they really have been worse for the Iraqi Joe?
    I think the mess of the middle east and Ukraine is proof that when politicians are saying "We must do something, this is something therefore we must do it" is always the wrong approach.
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, as a disinterested chap with no inside and very little outside knowledge I'm anticipating an early exit, which will not bother me in the slightest. Overpaid whining prima donnas.

The rugby team, as both players and people, seem much better.
  • Options

Serious question, do any of you chaps in Englandshire expect the shower of numpties recently arrived in Brazil to do anything other than be on a plane home on conclusion of the group stage? They really are totally uninspiring and instead of actively supporting Italy and the other teams playing them, I just want them to be put out of their misery. Not a ball kicked and it seems half of them are already nursing injuries. Just not a patch on the likes of Beckham, Nevilles x 2, Scoles etc from a decade or so ago.

No. They're lazy, overpaid yobs.

A couple of them should be hanged, to encourage the others to play better.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

As a bookie, I expect them to get through the group stage, being as they are odds-on to do so. Sturridge & Barkley are exciting, certainly much more so than Phil Neville. Rooney is the great unknown; a massive waste of potential so far. Generally we're not in the top echelon but this is a knockout and anyone could win it. People instinctively think the World Cup will find the best team in the world, and historically it's actually been pretty good at that. But it doesn't have to be that way, see e.g. Greece winning the Euros @ 100/1
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Tbf the West Lothian question was originally an Irish question anyway, they'd only be reclaiming it.
    Reckon the Shinners can take Belfast North and Foyle next year?

That might make Ed or Dave's life easier, 5 Shinner MPs reduces the threshold for a majority.

Edit: What about Upper Bann, that could see them come through the middle?
  • Options

Serious question, do any of you chaps in Englandshire expect the shower of numpties recently arrived in Brazil to do anything other than be on a plane home on conclusion of the group stage?

Yes, on balance I would be slightly surprised if they didnt get through the group and once in the knock-out stages anything can happen (ask Greece).
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Hurst

My wife thinks I should.

It's not something I am comfortable with!

Hang on! You, at your wife's instance, teach your child the existence of something you don't believe in. Yet you come on here and make comments about parents teaching their children about something they do believe in. Are you sure you don't want to think a little more?
  • Options

ToryJim said:

isam said:

isam said:

I really don't know, and what's more there isn't one of the 7bn or so people on this planet who does. I just think it's unhelpful to dwell on it because then you come up with ideas to try to retrospectively solve a problem that is superseded by events. I think that is the danger of Western policy at the moment, we need to throw out the Iraq prism and look at the situations now largely on their own merits. Not easy but not doing so could compound the errors rather than alleviate them.
  • Options

Mr. Easterross, as a disinterested chap with no inside and very little outside knowledge I'm anticipating an early exit, which will not bother me in the slightest. Overpaid whining prima donnas.

The rugby team, as both players and people, seem much better.

At least when the Romans provided bread and circuses, some of the participants were euthanased from time to time. The great delight of the English Premiership is that most of its star performers are not English. While the English team and its manager etc will be complaining about having had to play too many games, too long a season etc as an excuse for their total failure in Brazil, many of those who will reach the quarters, semis and final will be their team mates who play in the same games all season long but don't somehow get struck down with exhaustion, injury etc as the English team no doubt will.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056

Neil said:

Not to mention legislation which affects Wales and Scotland too. And the DUP don't have seats in the rest of the UK (nor the Tories in NI). I will be very interested to see how they defend that.
  • Options
    Mr. F, your trouble is you're too soft.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

You can say that about many things. My parents never took me to pubs as a kid hence until my mid 20s I had a mild fear of them. I was never exposed to football so am fantastically uninterested. I was bought up religious but am an avowed rationalist. Everyone is going to be affected by the belief systems of their parents and you aren't going to eradicate that. There are kids bought up in vegan households is that wrong or immoral? Sometimes we cannot correct for every perceived deficiency etc
    Probably doesn't matter too much so long as parents indicate the existence of alternative views. My father gave me a run-down of the main political parties when I was young and expressed polite interest when I said communism sounded good - he was a Conservative, he said (when I asked him), but I shouldn't let that influence me.

I suppose that no parents are perfect in balancing guidance with respect but IMO he got pretty close. What he primarily taught me was tolerance and acceptance of other views. Many years later I was pleased to be able to return the compliment - as an elderly voter in Chelsea when I was the Labour PPC, he said he was by then a Liberal, but wondered if I felt he ought to vote for me? I said no, he should definitely vote for his beliefs. I was very fond of him, and as a cameo of a good relationship it still makes me feel happy to think of it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Not to mention legislation which affects Wales and Scotland too. And the DUP don't have seats in the rest of the UK (nor the Tories in NI). I will be very interested to see how they defend that.

They wouldn't need to defend it. Defend it against whom? Labour are hardly likely to argue that the WLQ means their Scottish MPs should not have a say, are they?
  • Options
    Its getting worse quickly, 500000, yeap half a million people are fleeing Mosul in the past few hours according to the Internation Organization for Migration, Iraq has lost all phone connections with the north and the iraqi parliament is asking for US military support.
    Al Qaeda has captured now not only fighter jets but attack helicopters (american blackhawks), tanks and other heavy weapons

How long until we see american troops fighting syrian rebels supplied by the american government?
  • Options
    With the absent Sinn Fein MPs (four or perhaps five), the actual number of seats for a majority would be 322 or 323 which is the "target" for the Conservative and Labour parties to achieve either alone or with help.

I suspect we won't see a Coalition on the 2010-15 model after the next GE. IF no single Party can form a majority, then it will either be S&C or the largest Party will form a minority administration and dare the others to trigger a second election.

A minority Labour Government with S&C from the LDs and a few others doesn't look the most unlikely outcome and neither does a minority Conservative Government with S&C provided by the DUP.
  • Options
    I see the football haters are out in force today.

I note the anti tipster Easterross has predicted England to fall at the Group Stage.

Pile on England to qualify.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

Probably doesn't matter too much so long as parents indicate the existence of alternative views. My father gave me a run-down of the main political parties when I was young and expressed polite interest when I said communism sounded good - he was a Conservative, he said (when I asked him), but I shouldn't let that influence me.

I suppose that no parents are perfect in balancing guidance with respect but IMO he got pretty close. What he primarily taught me was tolerance and acceptance of other views. Many years later I was pleased to be able to return the compliment - as an elderly voter in Chelsea when I was the Labour PPC, he said he was by then a Liberal, but wondered if I felt he ought to vote for me? I said no, he should definitely vote for his beliefs. I was very fond of him, and as a cameo of a good relationship it still makes me feel happy to think of it.
    I don't demur, my parents were not political obsessives but they encouraged us all to think and to debate. Every Sunday lunch was followed by a 2-3 hour discussion on every topic you could imagine. Often not politics but faith, science, morality which all feed in.
  • Options
    @ToryJim

We have strong evidence that pubs and vegetables exist, however.
  • Options

"The narrowing in Labour’s lead over the past year is entirely the result of Labour losing support, not of the Conservatives gaining it."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100275660/memo-to-tory-optimists-labour-is-losing-support-but-youre-not-gaining-it/

Except that analysis is false.

Take the changes with the ICM poll in May, with the ICM poll in May 2013.

Changes since then, Con +3, Lab -3, LD -2, UKIP +3

Or say, since November, which was six months prior, Con +3, Lab -7, LD nc, UKIP +4
  • Options

I'm no fan of the invasion but the situation in Syria is at least as bad, if not worse than Iraq and we're not about to head in there.

Assad has made the calculation that the west will not intervene, it is a horrific clusterfuck of a country right now but I don't think we can/should do anything militarily about it. It does provide a decent counterfactual to a non intervention by the west in a middle east conflict though.

• Options
    Neil said:

Serious question, do any of you chaps in Englandshire expect the shower of numpties recently arrived in Brazil to do anything other than be on a plane home on conclusion of the group stage?

Yes, on balance I would be slightly surprised if they didnt get through the group and once in the knock-out stages anything can happen (ask Greece).
    Who is getting knocked out the group then, Costa Rica and which of Italy or Uruguay >?
  • Options
    stodge said:

With the absent Sinn Fein MPs (four or perhaps five), the actual number of seats for a majority would be 322 or 323 which is the "target" for the Conservative and Labour parties to achieve either alone or with help.

I suspect we won't see a Coalition on the 2010-15 model after the next GE. IF no single Party can form a majority, then it will either be S&C or the largest Party will form a minority administration and dare the others to trigger a second election.

A minority Labour Government with S&C from the LDs and a few others doesn't look the most unlikely outcome and neither does a minority Conservative Government with S&C provided by the DUP.

Could we end up in a situation which there is no supply and confidence but parliament can't be dissolved because of the fixed parliament act?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@ToryJim

Yes and?
  • Options

"The narrowing in Labour’s lead over the past year is entirely the result of Labour losing support, not of the Conservatives gaining it."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100275660/memo-to-tory-optimists-labour-is-losing-support-but-youre-not-gaining-it/

Except that analysis is false.

Take the changes with the ICM poll in May, with the ICM poll in May 2013.

Changes since then, Con +3, Lab -3, LD -2, UKIP +3

Or say, since November, which was six months prior, Con +3, Lab -7, LD nc, UKIP +4
    Or YouGov's last poll in May this year, with their last poll in May 2013.

Changes are

Con +3, Lab -3, LD -3, UKIP nc
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@ToryJim

But not father Christmas, yet you teach your child about the latter.
  • Options
    Mr. Speedy, I don't think that's feasible.

The Queen has the power to dissolve Parliament. If no government were established then she would have to do so. In practical terms, a minority could come about. But if it failed, which party (of the big two) would lash themselves with the horrendous publicity of refusing an election when one was clearly needed?
  • Options
    Here we go:

ConflictReporter @MiddleEast_BRK · 1m
    #BreakingNews #Iraq's president #Maliki calls the United Nations, the European Union and the Arab League to "support Iraq vs. #ISIS".

The drums of war.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,367
    Fckn hell, truth stranger than fiction #231.

Tommy Robinson ‏@TommyRobinson82 3 mins
    I'm proud to be a Muslim. Being inside for for the last 5 months as taught me so much. I want to apologise to my Muslim brothers and sisters
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

I don't demur, my parents were not political obsessives but they encouraged us all to think and to debate. Every Sunday lunch was followed by a 2-3 hour discussion on every topic you could imagine. Often not politics but faith, science, morality which all feed in.
    Sunday Lunch for me usually involved my grandmother haranguing us about her favoured topics, such as scoutmasters were paedophiles, the Camomile Lawn was utter filth, and young people were criminals and drug-addicts.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Neil said:

Funny. Are you happy with Scottish MP's having the power to vote for things that effect England but not Scotland?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

Who is getting knocked out the group then, Costa Rica and which of Italy or Uruguay >?
    I think Italy more likely but it's football, all results are possible.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Speedy said:

Here we go:

#BreakingNews #Iraq's president #Maliki calls the United Nations, the European Union and the Arab League to "support Iraq vs. #ISIS".

The drums of war.

There is absolutely no appetite for a war in either Brussels or Washington right now though - particularly in the Middle East. I think Maliki's asking for help will fall on deaf ears, we (And more importantly the USA) just got OUT of Iraq.

Some arms supplies and possibly air strikes at the most, even that may well not happen.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

stodge said:

Could we end up in a situation which there is no supply and confidence but parliament can't be dissolved because of the fixed parliament act?
    I think the FTPA makes a dissolution hard but it's not difficult to see a scenario where a Con Minority govt gets formed lasts a couple of years gets voted down then replaced by Labour or vice versa. I'm not entirely certain how the public would regard a change of govt without an election. I think the last direct switch without an election was in 1905, not sure such would be tolerated now.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

On balance, I expect each of England, Italy & Uruguay to qualify.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm no fan of the invasion but the situation in Syria is at least as bad, if not worse than Iraq and we're not about to head in there.

Assad has made the calculation that the west will not intervene, it is a horrific clusterfuck of a country right now but I don't think we can/should do anything militarily about it. It does provide a decent counterfactual to a non intervention by the west in a middle east conflict though.

Mr. Pulpstar, Assad is correct in his calculation, the West is not going to get involved. In fact I strongly suspect the in most of the chancelleries in Europe the people are hoping that Assad wins quickly and thus get them out of the embarrassing situation they are now in.

The Arab Spring was always a nonsense and it only goes to show how shallow and eviscerated the FCO has become that Haig was allowed to go along with it.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    More good news to go with the cloudless skies

This time consumer expenditure with the Visa UK Consumer Expenditure Index published. The annual growth in spending (May 2014 on May 2013] is up 0.9%.

Given that April had the Easter holidays to boost expenditure, May's growth figures were expected to be down on a month on previous month basis. This has been the case but once monthly phasing is taken into account the underlying trend remains positive, with the "lull [not being] enough to disrupt an eighth month of the consumer spending recovery" [Nicholds, Visa]. This is confirmed by the sales for the most recent quarter on same quarter in previous year rising 1.4%.

Highlights include a second month of strong sales growth (3.3%) in the Food & Drink sector giving some cause for optimism in the hard-pressed supermarkets. Online sales also grew markedly (5.3%) with this trend expected to continue over the next two months of sofa bound World Cup viewing.

Here are the tables:
    =================================================================
    Visa Europe UK Consumer Expenditure Index
    May 2014 Summary Table
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    May Apr Mar
    Overall Spending Annual SA +0.9% +2.9% +0.5%
    Overall Spending Monthly SA -1.2% 0.0% +1.4%

Face-to-Face Spending Annual NSA -3.0% +3.3% -0.1%
    Online Spending Annual NSA +5.3% +4.8% +3.8%
    =================================================================
    =========================================================
    Broad Sector May Apr
    2014 2014
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Food, Beverages & Tobacco +3.3% +6.4%
    Clothing & Footwear +5.1% +7.4%
    Household Goods +0.8% +5.7%
    Health & Education +0.6% -4.7%
    Transport & Communication -0.7% +1.6%
    Recreation & Culture +1.1% +4.2%
    Hotels & Restaurants +8.0% +7.4%
    =========================================================
    another_richard won't like those Hotel and Restaurant figures. Time to close the 19th hole at Normanby Hall Golf Club, methinks.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Remember that one of the reasons for Cameron forming a Coalition with the Lib Dems in 2010 was to force Brown to accept that the game was up.

If there is a Hung Parliament in 2015 then Cameron will be the incumbent PM, and so the process of getting to a minority Labour government is not the simplest.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Here we go:

The drums of war.

Is there not a former British Prime Minister with a peace brokering role that we could send into action?
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, is Tommy Robinson the former EDL leader?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited June 2014
    @Easterross I would be surprised if England do not lose to Italy or Uruguay.

Though some of the younger players might see the World Cup as an opportunity to show that they are better than the shower who played in South Africa. I was glad I did not watch the match live v Germany.

I would be pleasantly surprised if they did go beyond the Group Stage but they aren't really good enough.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,367

Mr. Divvie, is Tommy Robinson the former EDL leader?

Yup.
    I'm presuming it's not a piss take, a dangerous presumption perhaps.
  • Options
    My understanding of the Fixed Parliament Act is that it hasn't removed the power of MPs to bring down a Government via a Confidence motion. The new proviso is that IF a motion of No Confidence is passed, an election is called unless the Government can get a motion of Confidence through within 14 days.

The 14 days presumably allows for negotiation within and across parties to assemble a new working majority. Hypothetically, if the LDs walked out of the Coalition and the non-Conservative parties allied to force through a vote of No Confidence, the Conservatives would have 14 days to talk to the DUP and get them to support a new Motion of Confidence.

Only if that failed would an election be triggered.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

I think Italy more likely but it's football, all results are possible.
    Worthy of Alan Shearer. I've come to expect more from you. Gutted.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Here we go:

The drums of war.

There is absolutely no appetite for a war in either Brussels or Washington right now though - particularly in the Middle East. I think Maliki's asking for help will fall on deaf ears, we (And more importantly the USA) just got OUT of Iraq.

Some arms supplies and possibly air strikes at the most, even that may well not happen.
    It will not be long until ISIS reaches the Turkish or Saudi borders, the US is commited to defend both and the UK is committed to defend NATO.

You and I may not be interested in war, but war is interested in us.

One thing might be certain, oil will go through the roof again.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, I've heard it said that there's a much shorter distance between those are vehemently for or against something than those who simply don't care. I'm not quite as surprised as you.

It seems Islam's quite popular, and has an increasing number of white British converts, perhaps because of its lack of uncertainty and trying to square circles (unlike, for example, the Anglican Church which is in a real muddle over gay and female clergy).
  • Options
    @Moniker

Awww, you used to do funny put-downs? What's the point of you if you dont make us laugh? Pity just makes everyone sad in the end.
  • Options
    stodge said:

My understanding of the Fixed Parliament Act is that it hasn't removed the power of MPs to bring down a Government via a Confidence motion. The new proviso is that IF a motion of No Confidence is passed, an election is called unless the Government can get a motion of Confidence through within 14 days.

The 14 days presumably allows for negotiation within and across parties to assemble a new working majority. Hypothetically, if the LDs walked out of the Coalition and the non-Conservative parties allied to force through a vote of No Confidence, the Conservatives would have 14 days to talk to the DUP and get them to support a new Motion of Confidence.

Only if that failed would an election be triggered.

Yes that is the theory, in practice I think that the following is likely that the government would seek very quickly to reverse no confidence. If that failed they would then try to get the two thirds majority for dissolution. If that failed the govt would resign but I think they'd get the vote for dissolution as no opposition would realistically seek to take power without a public vote.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

One thing might be certain, oil will go through the roof again.

The oil price appears to be down on the day.
This discussion has been closed.