Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Liz Truss now edges above Sunak in latest CONHome members’ survey – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Unless Von Der Leyen capitulates it's time for Johnson to be true to his word and go Aussie Deal.

Time to just do it.

Oh do fuck off with this aussie rules nonsense. It's just embarassing, like almost everything the manic Brexiteers fart out.
    Aussie Rules is just not Cricket but from The Ashes of our trade talks being abandoned we can take care of ourselves Home and Away, even if with Europe we will now be Neighbours rather than closer each day.
    I know you fear the UK becoming a Prisoner, but if Johnson's government messes up our trade links, the public will go Bananas in Pyjamas and our Sons and Daughters won't forgive us.
    I think the impetus has gone Walkabout. If we are not careful we will be on our own, Outback where we were in the 1960s.
    Though some think no deal Fosters a period of decline, I don't give a XXXX.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Roger said:

The Office of Budget Responsibility say a No Deal will lead to the £ falling 5%...2% off GDP and leave 300,000 unemployed. Andrew Bridgen thinks this is OK if we get our sovereignty back. Pity the jobs aren't all in his constituency

Yet this is the same argument that has been used since March in respect of Covid. Health vs Wealth - the economic and latterly mental health cost of "lockdown" in terms of lost jobs and GDP against the health benefits of keeping people alive even if they are, as some would have it on here, "sick oldies" and "obese slobs".

Now we have Sovereignty vs Wealth. The ability to make our own decisions, to be "free" of the pernicious EU set against the economic costs in terms of lost jobs and GDP.

It's the same argument - essentially, is the economy all that matters? Is wealth generation and economic well-being more important than health or sovereignty?

It cuts to the heart of who are, how we see ourselves and the priorities we would set for ourselves, our society and our country.
    Something that bothers me about the sovereignty argument...

If you Brexit you get more fish. Whether you can sell it is another matter, but you get more of it. Sovereignty win. Almost all the other direct consequences of Brexit are bad and some very bad: stuff you could do easily and freely before becomes difficult and costly, maybe impossible. No-one chose or wants more red tape, cost, delay,only being able to do things at the whim of foreign officials. Where's the sovereignty in that? Surely the very definition of sovereignty is being able to choose the outcomes we want? Yet Brexit means we get fewer of the outcomes we want.

Am I missing something obvious?
    No.

But then again, you did not vote "Leave" ;)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Unless Von Der Leyen capitulates it's time for Johnson to be true to his word and go Aussie Deal.

Time to just do it.

Oh do fuck off with this aussie rules nonsense. It's just embarassing, like almost everything the manic Brexiteers fart out.
    Aussie Rules is just not Cricket but from The Ashes of our trade talks being abandoned we can take care of ourselves Home and Away, even if with Europe we will now be Neighbours rather than closer each day.
    I know you fear the UK becoming a Prisoner, but if Johnson's government messes up our trade links, the public will go Bananas in Pyjamas and our Sons and Daughters won't forgive us.
    I think the impetus has gone Walkabout. If we are not careful we will be on our own, Outback where we were in the 1960s.
    We could find ourselves up Jacob's Creek without a paddle.
    Is there still a Great Barrier preventing a deal?
    I think grey will cobber together something in the end.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    edited December 2020
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Roger said:

The Office of Budget Responsibility say a No Deal will lead to the £ falling 5%...2% off GDP and leave 300,000 unemployed. Andrew Bridgen thinks this is OK if we get our sovereignty back. Pity the jobs aren't all in his constituency

Yet this is the same argument that has been used since March in respect of Covid. Health vs Wealth - the economic and latterly mental health cost of "lockdown" in terms of lost jobs and GDP against the health benefits of keeping people alive even if they are, as some would have it on here, "sick oldies" and "obese slobs".

Now we have Sovereignty vs Wealth. The ability to make our own decisions, to be "free" of the pernicious EU set against the economic costs in terms of lost jobs and GDP.

It's the same argument - essentially, is the economy all that matters? Is wealth generation and economic well-being more important than health or sovereignty?

It cuts to the heart of who are, how we see ourselves and the priorities we would set for ourselves, our society and our country.
    Something that bothers me about the sovereignty argument...

If you Brexit you get more fish. Whether you can sell it is another matter, but you get more of it. Sovereignty win. Almost all the other direct consequences of Brexit are bad and some very bad: stuff you could do easily and freely before becomes difficult and costly, maybe impossible. No-one chose or wants more red tape, cost, delay,only being able to do things at the whim of foreign officials. Where's the sovereignty in that? Surely the very definition of sovereignty is being able to choose the outcomes we want? Yet Brexit means we get fewer of the outcomes we want.

Belief in the big brexit fairy?

Edit - that is unnecessarily flippant, there are much better Brexits available, not all of them are this ludicrous, bureaucratic and inefficient.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    FF43 said:

image..
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2020

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

That can't be right - Johnson has an oven-ready deal he can just pop in the kookaburra.
    Maybe his ghost will be heard as you pass by the billabong and Matilda goes a-waltzing with me...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

FF43 said:

image..
    Fishing, level playing fields and state aid featuring prominently on the wordcloud.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

In God we Truss :lol:

Particularly when she gets her ankles in the air!
  • Options

FF43 said:

image..
    Misleading image. There's one word for immigration but a gazillion words for sovereignty: sovereignty, democracy, control, country, money, Brussels etc all prominent.

If you actually compare numerically then immigration was the #2 issue not the #1 one.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    JohnO said:

Just listened to Biden’s statement and answering questions. I was mightily impressed.

What, even better than Trump? :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

Time to just do it.

Johnson True to his word

lol
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    justin124 said:

In God we Truss :lol:

Particularly when she gets her ankles in the air!
    Do you have a licence for that weapons-grade misogyny?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    On Topic what has Amanda Milling done wrong?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I see @Philip_Thompson is peddling this "aussie deal" nonsense.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    I've had a strange couple of days - a documentary on the Dam Busters followed by Airplane. Who do you trust - Guy Gibson or Stryker?
  • Options

It isn't nonsense, it's context.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,581

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Some dogs ate my homework excuses from members of Liverpool City Council, who forgot to pay their council tax.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/revealed-eight-city-councillors-handed-12958675

One was the Mayor's daughter.

Somebody genuinely did tell me once that they hadn’t got their homework because, ‘the dog ate my USB pen.’

The more amazing part was when I rang home I found they were telling the truth.
    My dog never ate my homework but she did eat £25 (2 tenners and a fiver)
    There was once a dog with £1995 up its arse.

It didn’t feel too grand.
    Have you found your coat?
    By coincidence pretty much what said dog would cost you. But Labradoodle pups seem to be reaching £3000 round here.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    ydoethur said:

Labour Party has suspended Mr Anderson pending the outcome of the case.

So he’s suspended while the case is hanging over him?
    ...and his future dangles by a thread.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    Would be interesting to see whether people regard June as spring or summer. I think the latter although officially its mostly the former. I think everything will be allowed by June.
    Can't believe that 2% think the restrictions will never be lifted.
    You do realise that 2 or 3% for each answer in a poll is just noise. So those respondents probably pressed the wrong button or didn't really think about the question, or answered maliciously.
    I think there was a poll once where 2% answered "yes" to the question "Have you ever been decapitated?"
    Proving that 98% know the meaning of the word. Quite a high score.
  • Options
    slade said:

I've had a strange couple of days - a documentary on the Dam Busters followed by Airplane. Who do you trust - Guy Gibson or Stryker?

Stryker
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    Would be interesting to see whether people regard June as spring or summer. I think the latter although officially its mostly the former. I think everything will be allowed by June.
    You do realise that 2 or 3% for each answer in a poll is just noise. So those respondents probably pressed the wrong button or didn't really think about the question, or answered maliciously.
    I think there was a poll once where 2% answered "yes" to the question "Have you ever been decapitated?"
    A more interesting question might have been "Have you ever been defenestrated?"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

But you're an extremist. You wallow INXS.
    He needs EU tonight.
  • Options
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Some dogs ate my homework excuses from members of Liverpool City Council, who forgot to pay their council tax.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/revealed-eight-city-councillors-handed-12958675

One was the Mayor's daughter.

Somebody genuinely did tell me once that they hadn’t got their homework because, ‘the dog ate my USB pen.’

The more amazing part was when I rang home I found they were telling the truth.
    My dog never ate my homework but she did eat £25 (2 tenners and a fiver)
    There was once a dog with £1995 up its arse.

It didn’t feel too grand.
    Have you found your coat?
    By coincidence pretty much what said dog would cost you. But Labradoodle pups seem to be reaching £3000 round here.
    It’s crazy, puppy prices have doubled since the pandemic.

In other news, when do we get the ‘frictionless trade’ we were promised?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

He needs EU tonight.
    But whichever way Johnson goes might be political Suicide Blonde.
  • Options

FF43 said:

image..
    It’s always the small print that gets you.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

Unless Von Der Leyen capitulates it's time for Johnson to be true to his word and go Aussie Deal Afghan Deal.

Time to just do it.

Fixed it for you.

When did you get the idea that a negotiation is some sort of war, or competition,with opponents, and winners, and losers? Is that how you really think of the world.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,639
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Everything? You mean I can finally give that bastard Nick Gibb what he deserves?
    I think that’s still criminal.
    But you could plead some serious mitigation.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

He needs EU tonight.
    Dyed by their own hand you mean?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

He needs EU tonight.
    He'll be burning the Midnight Oil this weekend.
  • Options
    This recent item from Richard Kemp’s blog suggests all is not well with Liverpool’s internal management and control:

https://richardkemp.wordpress.com/2020/11/26/i-need-your-help-in-scrutinising-the-councils-companies/
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    slade said:

Shirley it's got to be Stryker.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited December 2020
    stodge said:

Roger said:

Those are just the economic effects. In my opinion the social costs are even higher and when you add in the ghastly people who are behind the 'Leave' proejct the whole notion becomes repulsive. I can't think of a more ill fitting analogy than Covid and looking after the elderly
  • Options

It isn't nonsense, it's context.
    Context: Words written by an inmate.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Unless Von Der Leyen capitulates it's time for Johnson to be true to his word and go Aussie Deal Afghan Deal.

Time to just do it.

Fixed it for you.

When did you get the idea that a negotiation is some sort of war, or competition,with opponents, and winners, and losers? Is that how you really think of the world.
    Yes negotiations generally do have opponents.

Ideally much of it should not be zero sum which is why a deal is doable but for the controversial bits there will be winners.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    slade said:

You like movies about gladiators?
  • Options

Some shite music back in 1990.

Enjoy the Silence was released in March that year.
    1990 was a sensational year for music. Yes some shite. But the brilliant stuff was *brilliant*
    Agreed. 1990 was the year I started buying mostly new music rather than 60's and 70's music.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    I thought it was only us who messed about with fishing, when it's a tiny part of this whole business.
  • Options
  • Options
    Roger said:

stodge said:

Roger said:

Those are just the economic effects. In my opinion the social costs are even higher and when you add in the ghastly people who are behind the 'Leave' proejct the whole notion becomes repulsive. I can't think of a more ill fitting analogy than Covid and looking after the elderly
    If you want to talk about repulsive and ghastly individuals then look in the mirror at the way you sneer at your countrymen.
  • Options
    High blood sugar increases the risk of dying for Covid-19 patients even if they do not have diabetes, according to a study.

Out of 11,000 coronavirus patients in Spain, none were critically ill when they got to the hospital. But researchers found those who arrived with above-normal blood sugar levels had higher odds of dying there regardless of whether they were diabetic.

Overall, 20% of the patients died while hospitalised, including 16% of individuals with blood sugar below 140 milligrams per deciliter at admission, 34% of those with levels of 140 to 180 mg/dL, and 41% of patients with levels above 180 mg/dL.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

High blood sugar increases the risk of dying for Covid-19 patients even if they do not have diabetes, according to a study.

Out of 11,000 coronavirus patients in Spain, none were critically ill when they got to the hospital. But researchers found those who arrived with above-normal blood sugar levels had higher odds of dying there regardless of whether they were diabetic.

Overall, 20% of the patients died while hospitalised, including 16% of individuals with blood sugar below 140 milligrams per deciliter at admission, 34% of those with levels of 140 to 180 mg/dL, and 41% of patients with levels above 180 mg/dL.

Slowly puts down the bag of sweets and steps away from the keyboard...
  • Options
    In other news, HMQ is down to her last dog.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Aesthetically oblongs seem to be a trend.
    In terms of news, that’s yesterday’s headlines tomorrow.
  • Options
    It is indeed.

But reading that text: they don't want to be bound by the same rules they want us to sign?

Hell no. Nobody could justify that.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    kle4 said:

I thought it was only us who messed about with fishing, when it's a tiny part of this whole business.
    The fishing example is where brexit government can’t negotiate properly because of their brexit promises.

Don’t you agree, if Starmer Labour were in government now, propped up by SNP and Lib Dem’s, negotiating a brexit deal with EU, it would be a stronger, longer lasting, more widely embraced by the the 48 and 52 deal, than the soon to be junked deal currently negotiated by those with the baggage of brexit promise?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Time to just do it.

Fixed it for you.

Yes negotiations generally do have opponents.

Ideally much of it should not be zero sum which is why a deal is doable but for the controversial bits there will be winners.
    You’re wrong. Just plain wrong. Even just looking up the basic OED definition of the word shows how mistaken you are. Anyone who goes into a negotiation with that attitude will fail - whether in business, politics or law or otherwise.

Even for non- lawyers I heartily recommend the book at the below link that shows what a fallacy and how ineffective the adversarial approach to negotiation is -

https://www.pon.harvard.edu/shop/beyond-winning-negotiating-to-create-value-in-deals-and-disputes/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Time to just do it.

Are you from Hartlepool?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

kle4 said:

The fishing example is where brexit government can’t negotiate properly because of their brexit promises.

Don’t you agree, if Starmer Labour were in government now, propped up by SNP and Lib Dem’s, negotiating a brexit deal with EU, it would be a stronger, longer lasting, more widely embraced by the the 48 and 52 deal, than the soon to be junked deal currently negotiated by those with the baggage of brexit promise?
    Yes, probably, if that was their aim, though we had our chance to go down that path if we and they wanted, and not enough did. We have the crap government we have, unfortunately. I think they clearly want a deal, they would not have worked this hard to attempt one if they were merely going through the motions, and they may get a crap one or ineptly fail to get one, but those are separate considerations to any assessment of the EU position. It's not about saying who would most be to blame for no deal, or a crap deal (those are separate matters), just noting that if something like fishing is holding things up, on either side, then consistency suggests if we criticise one for jeopardising things over fishing, the other need be criticised for the same thing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

In other news, HMQ is down to her last dog.

Well she can take comfort in her children at least.
  • Options
    Misspelling notwithstanding, this strikes me as a very acute observation:

https://twitter.com/KeohaneDan/status/1334947758663491586
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    eristdoof said:

1990 was a sensational year for music. Yes some shite. But the brilliant stuff was *brilliant*
    Agreed. 1990 was the year I started buying mostly new music rather than 60's and 70's music.
    Maybe more accurate to say 1990 was the year a number of decent bands who'd been around a while hit the mainstream.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    "Have you ever been decimated?" would be a more interesting question.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Labour Party has suspended Mr Anderson pending the outcome of the case.

Independents gain Liverpool!
    How much did that cost though?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685

It was February. The song has already appeared on Top of the Pops 1990, a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

slade said:

Shirley it's got to be Stryker.
    No. I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It was February. The song has already appeared on Top of the Pops 1990, a few weeks ago.
    Yes, you're right! The album Violator came out in March.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, but is it cause or effect?

140mg/dl is 7.8 mmol in UK units, but why should it be higher in someone without diabetes? Potentially it is because blood glucose goes up with the stress response. It is a nonspecific marker of how sick the patient is. Indeed aggressively treating the blood glucose may well worsen outcomes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3672537/

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

Maybe more accurate to say 1990 was the year a number of decent bands who'd been around a while hit the mainstream.
    1991 is my favourite year from that general period. Examples: Rhythm Is A Mystery by K-klass, Everybody's Free by Rozalla, Insanity by Oceanic.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

140mg/dl is 7.8 mmol in UK units, but why should it be higher in someone without diabetes? Potentially it is because blood glucose goes up with the stress response. It is a nonspecific marker of how sick the patient is. Indeed aggressively treating the blood glucose may well worsen outcomes.

I realise this could be a sore point, but why does the UK use different units to Spain?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,308
    edited December 2020

What a demeaning state of affairs Brexit is for the UK. Not so long ago, the equivalent of VdL would have been meekly tapping on the British PM's door, seeking authorization or advice.
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

I realise this could be a sore point, but why does the UK use different units to Spain?
    In most of the world mmol/L is the prefered unit. America favours mg/dl, so that is often used in international publications. Divide/multiply by 18 to convert the two.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

In most of the world mmol/L is the prefered unit. America favours mg/dl, so that is often used in international publications. Divide/multiply by 18 to convert the two.
    Thank you. What could possibly go wrong...
  • Options

It’s a good point. The only person able to “capitulate” as Mr Thompson inelegantly puts it is Johnson. So he has a choice of being brought down by the maniacs on the Tory right if he does or by the rest of the country when the no-deal shortages kick in of he doesn’t.

There was an accident on the M20 today that gridlocked all of the roads around here. Same thing as happened the other week when the Brexit tests were being carried out last month - also closing the M20. I literally, quite literally, could not get to Bybrook Sainsbury’s. That’s our future after 1 January every single day until Johnson or whoever takes over has to capitulate. Inability to drive anywhere every day for the foreseeable, ambulances not getting through, food trucks needing permits to get into a county they can’t drive in. Good job we’re Tier 3. We won’t be able to leave the county anyway. The other great thing about it is that road accidents will reduce to zero as no one will be able to drive fast enough.

But help is at hand! Can whoever on this board lives in whatever part of this country borders Australia tell me and @Philip_Thompson how you handle the every day disruption caused by customs checks?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Thank you. What could possibly go wrong...
    Americans use quite a lot of archaic units in medicine. The averdupois system lives on there!

Don't get me started on insulin errors and notation...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

1991 is my favourite year from that general period. Examples: Rhythm Is A Mystery by K-klass, Everybody's Free by Rozalla, Insanity by Oceanic.
    1990's best feature was the decline of Stock, Aitken and Waterman.
    Who were very good at what they did. But had a stultifying effect on the "industry" in general.
    You no longer needed to look right and sound like every other bugger.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Spookily close to the multiplicative conversion factor Centigrade <–> Fahrenheit after translating the origin: divide/multiply by 1.8.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

Who were very good at what they did. But had a stultifying effect on the "industry" in general.
    Musically, I missed 1988-1993 or so, too busy as a junior doctor. All I did was work, study and sleep.

I have caught up on a few since, Stone Roses, Screamadelica etc. Did I miss much else?

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    They could have delayed Brexit to focus on the pandemic, but chose not to. Let that sink in.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Spookily close to the multiplicative conversion factor Centigrade <–> Fahrenheit after translating the origin: divide/multiply by 1.8.

18 is the molecular mass of a water molecule (2 x 1) + 16
  • Options
    Was that The Grauniad doing a U-turn?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Jonathan said:

They could have delayed Brexit to focus on the pandemic, but chose not to. Let that sink in.

All that would happen is we would be in this exact same situation in a years time. The fundamentals aren't going to be shifting for the forseeable future.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

It’s a good point. The only person able to “capitulate” as Mr Thompson inelegantly puts it is Johnson. So he has a choice of being brought down by the maniacs on the Tory right if he does or by the rest of the country when the no-deal shortages kick in of he doesn’t.

There was an accident on the M20 today that gridlocked all of the roads around here. Same thing as happened the other week when the Brexit tests were being carried out last month - also closing the M20. I literally, quite literally, could not get to Bybrook Sainsbury’s. That’s our future after 1 January every single day until Johnson or whoever takes over has to capitulate. Inability to drive anywhere every day for the foreseeable, ambulances not getting through, food trucks needing permits to get into a county they can’t drive in. Good job we’re Tier 3. We won’t be able to leave the county anyway. The other great thing about it is that road accidents will reduce to zero as no one will be able to drive fast enough.

But help is at hand! Can whoever on this board lives in whatever part of this country borders Australia tell me and @Philip_Thompson how you handle the every day disruption caused by customs checks?
    You know Dover isn't the only way into the country? If Dover and Calais are gridlocked then drivers will divert to other ports.

And if all the ports are gridlocked, then there are a huge number of empty planes not being used right now.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

You can’t beat the year before, 1989. The Stone Roses, Doolittle by the Pixies, Disintegration by the Cure, Bummed by the Happy Mondays (not me personally, the album), Paul’s Boutique by the Beastie Boys, Three Feet High and Rising by De La Soul...
  • Options

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

18 is the molecular mass of a water molecule (2 x 1) + 16
    The plot thickens.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Musically, I missed 1988-1993 or so, too busy as a junior doctor. All I did was work, study and sleep.

I have caught up on a few since, Stone Roses, Screamadelica etc. Did I miss much else?

Certainly you did. Jon Vickers' memorable Tristan of 1982, for example.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

DougSeal said:

You know Dover isn't the only way into the country? If Dover and Calais are gridlocked then drivers will divert to other ports.

And if all the ports are gridlocked, then there are a huge number of empty planes not being used right now.
    There's always Felixstowe.

Oh...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-8958173/Felixstowe-port-chaos-firms-face-surcharges-containers.html
  • Options
    edited December 2020

DougSeal said:

Doesn’t help me getting to the supermarket. It’s not the lorries coming in it’s the ones going out getting stuck. Which other ports run regular crossings that take less than 2 hours, or even 6 hours? How do you use them to get just in time logistics channels? How do you use an EasyJet passenger plane to transport cars?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    geoffw said:

Was that The Grauniad doing a U-turn?

Just updating as the picture changes, I'd have said.

As was pointed out earlier, The Times is running yesterday's in tomorrow's edition.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Where does 1982 fall in the period 1988 - 1993?

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Well, they couldn't, because we've left. The transition period could have been extended, though
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Foxy said:

Not my cup of tea. I was more into Psychedelia and New wave at the time. Indeed have a playlist here:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Mr16I9lcuMaFlDfkNyMSU?si=lWmFdjCvTiiJPlj4gXH6vw
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

What a demeaning state of affairs Brexit is for the UK. Not so long ago, the equivalent of VdL would have been meekly tapping on the British PM's door, seeking authorization or advice.
    They will be phoning to agree the common ground between them, they head the 2 sides, it is their decision ultimately
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

DougSeal said:

Yes, because it is really easy and economically viable to divert containerised cargo onto planes, and the airports are in all respects geared up to handle this traffic. A thoughtful and well informed post.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

You can’t beat the year before, 1989. The Stone Roses, Doolittle by the Pixies, Disintegration by the Cure, Bummed by the Happy Mondays (not me personally, the album), Paul’s Boutique by the Beastie Boys, Three Feet High and Rising by De La Soul...
    Especially for you by Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan.

*Runs away*
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2020
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Where does 1982 fall in the period 1988 - 1993?

On the blurry bit of my glasses! I see your point, now I've cleaned them...

Let's see, 1988-1993: John Tomlinson singing Hans Sachs would be one of the highlights:

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/20/style/IHT-a-top-drawer-meistersinger.html
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Is it the time of the evening where army helicopters to solve Brexit logistics get a mention as well?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The get out of jail card for Johnson is to stonewall the negotiations on the deal and wait for the clock to tick down to the end of December, hoping that the EU will rustle up an extension mechanism which he can then portray as a victory because he 'forced' them into it. No chaos and no capitulation.
This discussion has been closed.