Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If the Democrats win the Presidency, the House and the Senate they’ll be in a position to make futur

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

ydoethur said:

Note that one option NOT much discussed, would be to eliminated the District of Columbia (but NOT the City of Washington) by congressional action to return it to the possession & jurisdiction of State of Maryland. Which is exactly what happened before the Civil War to the VIRGINIA portion of the original district (today Arlington & most of Alexandria).

You mean, just the White House and the Capitol etc in Washington outside Maryland, with no permanent residents denied a vote?

That could work as well. Why is it not much discussed?
    I mean the whole of the current District of Columbia, the White House & Capitol included. It was all part of Maryland until the Free State ceded it to the feds.

Number of nations (Australia & Mexico for example) have capital districts more-or-less modeled after District of Columbia. BUT most nations - including United Kingdom and rest of Europe.
    Canberra has representation in Australia's houses. I Think Ottawa does as well.
    Really? Seems a strange arrangement. Why would Ottawa even want representation in the Aussie Parliament?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    kle4 said:

The Democrats aren't going to take any prisoners if they win all three branches of the federal Government.

That said, I think Puerto Rico is more logical and defensible. DC would be far more controversial as it is so small, and it feels like it cuts across its original constitutional intent as a federal capital, but Biden still might do it anyway.

Having a voting representative for DC might be a less controversial first step? And voting reps for the territories?

I feel like while Biden might not think about going extreme to mirror Trump tactics in the last 4 years, if the Democrats win big it will be hard to resist the temptation from others.
    DC statehood is far from extreme.
    Ditto Puerto Rico, if it votes for it.
  • Options
    Marcus walking on water

Hat trick in 16 second half minutes after coming on as a sub

And he handed the ball to Martial to take the penalty which if he taken it would have given him a quicker hat trick

Simply someone everyone should be proud off

Simply the best
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Marcus walking on water

And he handed the ball to Martial to take the penalty which if he taken it would have given him a quicker hat trick

Simply the best

Feeding kids and scoring hat tricks. What a bloke.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    I've got news for the Yardley Yeadon: most people in the UK wouldn't have a clue what FPR stood for.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Note that one option NOT much discussed, would be to eliminated the District of Columbia (but NOT the City of Washington) by congressional action to return it to the possession & jurisdiction of State of Maryland. Which is exactly what happened before the Civil War to the VIRGINIA portion of the original district (today Arlington & most of Alexandria).

You mean, just the White House and the Capitol etc in Washington outside Maryland, with no permanent residents denied a vote?

That could work as well. Why is it not much discussed?
    I mean the whole of the current District of Columbia, the White House & Capitol included. It was all part of Maryland until the Free State ceded it to the feds.

Number of nations (Australia & Mexico for example) have capital districts more-or-less modeled after District of Columbia. BUT most nations - including United Kingdom and rest of Europe.
    Canberra has representation in Australia's houses. I Think Ottawa does as well.
    Really? Seems a strange arrangement. Why would Ottawa even want representation in the Aussie Parliament?
    touche

I meant Canada

:wink:
  • Options
    Does this mean if you are pottering around Tescos doing the week shop and it gets past 9pm, you can't buy a couple of bottles of plonk?
  • Options
    Do people really go into Tesco after 9pm to purchase alcohol for immediate usage ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

The Democrats aren't going to take any prisoners if they win all three branches of the federal Government.

That said, I think Puerto Rico is more logical and defensible. DC would be far more controversial as it is so small, and it feels like it cuts across its original constitutional intent as a federal capital, but Biden still might do it anyway.

Having a voting representative for DC might be a less controversial first step? And voting reps for the territories?

I feel like while Biden might not think about going extreme to mirror Trump tactics in the last 4 years, if the Democrats win big it will be hard to resist the temptation from others.
    By extreme I mean major and immediate change, rather than something more incremental.
  • Options

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1321572434177368065/photo/1

Where does the 100k a day figure come from?
  • Options

Marcus walking on water

Simply the best

At his current rate of progress he'll be getting a Dukedom by next Christmas, which doesn't leave him anywhere to go unless there are any unmarried princesses left.
  • Options

I have no idea other than ill informed journalism
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Marcus walking on water

Simply the best

At his current rate of progress he'll be getting a Dukedom by next Christmas, which doesn't leave him anywhere to go unless there are any unmarried princesses left.
    Prime Minister
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    These migrants in Dunkirk. What exactly is so terrible about staying in safe, democratic France??
  • Options

Do people really go into Tesco after 9pm to purchase alcohol for immediate usage ?
    Been there, done that...
  • Options

Make up a number and double it.

I wonder if they give equivalents for other countries.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Charles said:

It’s funny how we get approving noises about ultra partisan ways to fuck with democracy when it benefits the Democrats.

Beware of unintended consequences - remember devolution was going to secure Labour’s stronghold in Scotland for all eternity

This is the "unintended consequence" of a President without a plurality robbing a Supreme Court nomination from a President with a popular-vote majority, abetted by a Senate changing the rules. That was a big line to cross and if anything it was a travesty of democracy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

By extreme I mean major and immediate change, rather than something more incremental.
    Voting reps in US House for territories would definitely require US constitutional amendment.

Statehood for DC might also require an amendment (esp. in current judicial environment) though that's bit less clear.

Having district revert to Maryland would NOT require an amendment, just Act of Congress AND consent of Maryland. BUT it would NOT be supported methink by most DCers and Democrats, who want full statehood. Nor would most GOPers be crazy over the idea. So falls between two stools.
  • Options

I presumed something like the ONS survey, but this is the i and there is no mention of the source.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Yes.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

These migrants in Dunkirk. What exactly is so terrible about staying in safe, democratic France??

Asking these questions is racist!
  • Options

Is that a trick question? They certainly do, or did when I used to work the trolley shift just before closing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Notice that IF she'd voted, would NOT have changed the ruling regardless of which way she went.

SO her moment of truth is yet to come . . . if it does.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    edited October 2020
    Roy_G_Biv said:

EPG said:

2 new Supreme Court justices are more likely than DC statehood, which requires an amendment.

why an amendment?
    Sorry, I got confused with senators for DC. Senators represent states so DC with senators but without statehood needs an amendment.
  • Options

I presumed something like the ONS survey, but this is the i and there is no mention of the source.
    There is a SAGE model that shits out garbage numbers. They were banging on about 90k last week and then the ONS came in at 35k.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Does this mean if you are pottering around Tescos doing the week shop and it gets past 9pm, you can't buy a couple of bottles of plonk?
    Yep.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020
    LadyG said:

Strangely a question rarely asked by the media interviewing them or the lobby groups that support open borders and demand the ability for people to claim asylum for the Uk in France.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes.
    Well if that's how you spend an evening its your choice though I would recommend a bit more forward planning in future :wink:
  • Options

Yep.
    Talk about shitting on NHS workers. Loads of them work odd shift patterns and won't be able to have a glass of wine.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

There is a SAGE model that shits out garbage numbers. They were banging on about 90k last week and then the ONS came in at 35k.
    That was my presumption.
  • Options

That reminds of when I worked in Oslo. Hanging my head in shame has I had to put back a 6-pack of beer I tried to take through the supermarket check out at 8.05 p.m. You could only buy wines and spirits from state monopoly booze shops.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

EPG said:

2 new Supreme Court justices are more likely than DC statehood, which requires an amendment.

why an amendment?
    Senators represent states.
    Yes, but that's NOT the reason an amendment MIGHT be needed.

Note that 37 states beyond the original 13 have been admitted to statehood - including electing US Senators - without amendment.

Like I said earlier, all you need is an Act of Congress - unless you are creating a new state from an existing state (as happened in cases of Maine & West Virginia) then you also need consent of that state.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    FPT:
    -

They must be worried in Texas.

Similar pattern in Nevada where the GOP probably are going down.

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1321478382568177664?s=20
    How did the GOP become such a cesspit of anti-democratic poison?

Quite simply, the GOP’s voting base is almost exclusively white voters, with a few exceptions eg Cuban Hispanics. This has now dwindled to a low enough share of the population that they cannot win in a fair fight. The more their base shrinks, the more brazen their cheating becomes in order to hold onto power.
  • Options

Yep.
    I imagine will we be getting media stories asking will somebody think of the alkies.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sounds about par for the SAGE modelling.
  • Options

Yep.
    I imagine will we be getting media stories asking will somebody think of the alkies.
    Or nurses and doctors who work until 10pm and can't go to a pub or buy a bottle of wine on the way home.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yep.
    Or nurses and doctors who work until 10pm and can't go to a pub or buy a bottle of wine on the way home.
    As I said..alkies ;-)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Though in fact I was thinking of their getting carried away on the policy front, or punitive changes in the mould of the republicans, rather than these statehood ideas.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The PA GOP second attempt at throwing out votes postmarked before the election has been refused to be heard by the SC again - ACB did not vote on the decision.

However the fascism enablers have decided to keep the option open of throwing out the votes after election night anyways.

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1321563621470707713
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    LadyG said:

understanding and speaking English rather than French?
  • Options
    BBC News highlighting the death from covid figures and repeating warnings that could hit 500 a day.

In the small print at bottom of screen it says "death from any cause with a + test within 28 days"

It's garbage.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    All this really misses the issue i.e. the licence fee is unfit and unenforceable for the future media landscape.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1321571930827333632?s=19
  • Options

District of Columbia has larger population than several states, and IIRC as a would be entitled to more than one House member.

One issue with DC statehood is, would it require a constitutional amendment? After all, the district (or if you prefer the future district) is referenced in US Constitution Article 1, Section 7.

Which would NOT result in two new Senators, but would give DC a voice in electing Maryland's Senators AND also representation in US House.

As for Puerto Rico, both US parties are on record as favoring statehood IF the people of PR support it via a clear election victory for a statehood referendum.

As for how the PR delegation might align within Congress. keep in mind that late 1950s Republicans in Congress generally opposed statehood for Alaska but supported statehood for Hawaii, while Democrats inclined the other way.

Why? Because both sides of the isle believed (on basis of territorial elections) that Alaska would vote Democratic while Hawaii would vote Republican.

BUT as we know know, things turned out just the opposite!
    Quite likely that Puerto Rico would become a swing state over time, if there were a slightly less extreme Republican party.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The PA GOP second attempt at throwing out votes postmarked before the election has been refused to be heard by the SC again - ACB did not vote on the decision.

However the fascism enablers have decided to keep the option open of throwing out the votes after election night anyways.

Still only 3 of 9, they'd need more than ACB to make this pigshit airborne
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Why do so many leading Americans hate living in a democracy?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is that a trick question? They certainly do, or did when I used to work the trolley shift just before closing.
    Drinking in a Tesco car park late on a winter night.

That's living the dream.

Is this some sort of young person thing or London and South experience ?

Because even the beggars have higher standards than that in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I don't think I will ever get used to how...normal it seems for key, often administrative, questions before, during and after an election to be settled by judges as a matter of course.

I think I'd go mad if every little stage of the process on election night might end up gaving to go through various court proceedings first.

Though I suppose in this country most of us know little about how things work compared to people in the US knowing about the intricacies and differences in their system. After the GE last year I was with family who were convinced that the Tories were responsible for counting the votes, and so it could not be trusted.
  • Options

LadyG said:

It does not seem a sufficient reason to risk your life in the English Channel.
  • Options

Yep.
    Journalists of course wont be caught out as they are more likely to start on the sauce at 9am rather than 9pm. :smiley:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

The idea has been kicked around for decades, and if either were ever to happen, it would be a pretty binary decision, rather than something that could be done incrementally.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998

BBC News highlighting the death from covid figures and repeating warnings that could hit 500 a day.

In the small print at bottom of screen it says "death from any cause with a + test within 28 days"

It's garbage.

It's probably not garbage... yet, unless I'm missing out on any seasonal cause of death that's in play now.
    I agree that it's going to become inflated by people who suffer flu later in the season, but surely it's not a major issue right now?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited October 2020

Foxy said:
    Notice that IF she'd voted, would NOT have changed the ruling regardless of which way she went.

Hang about - does this mean that Kavanaugh has actually discovered a sense of shame/embarrassment after been widely ridiculed/criticised for his embarrassingly sloppy opinion on the Wisconsin case? I wonder if he might have actually been given a dressing down by Roberts...
  • Options

It's garbage.

The ONS figures include only cases where Covid 19 on the death certificate if you are that worried.

Do you really believe the massive spike in deaths of covid positive patients in recent weeks is misatribution? I missed the news of massive car pile ups on the way back from covid 19 drive thoughs, or terrorist attacks on student halls of residence...

• Options

Alistair said:

It gives the wrong results? A lot of people, left and right, are surprisingly quick to give up on it when that happens. I believe desire for strongmen leaders on all sides has risen in recent years.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

So worst case we're looking at Biden +9. I can live with that.
    If Biden is up +9 Nationally , Trump isnt winning, no way he holds the states he needs to with that difference. So either this national polls error is even wider than the 3% from 2016 and I'm talking 6 or 7% out or Trumps toast
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Is the process for adding a state set out in the US constitution?

I thought the Constitution essentially just says that new states can join, so long as the other states agree. I'd presume a referendum in the area in question would be done, thesedays at least.
    You are wrong in saying "so long as the other states agree". Was argued at time of Louisiana Purchase that only way new states could be created from the newly acquired territory was if all the existing states gave their consent. BUT this notion was defeated, and statehood depends on Act of Congress, which requires majority of both Houses AND absence of presidential veto but NOT unanimous consent by existing states.

Case of Texas is bit different, as statehood was achieved by treaty between US and Republic of Texas, ratified by US Senate - though House did go along. However, number of states (esp in New England) were opposed to Texas statehood, mainly because it meant expansion of slavery.
    As I recall, the outgoing President signed the annexation of Texas into law on his last day in office, on the basis that it would no longer impact his political future that way.
    Tyler really HAD no political future at that point - though he did end up serving in the Confederate Congress! - think his motivation was same as Mitch McConnell's re ACB in 2020 - get it done while you can.
    Fun fact: President Tyler, born 1790, has a grandchild who is still alive in 2020.
    I’ve seen the you tube video on that. You can see the family resemblance of the still alive grandson to the president born in 1790.

Really amazing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

The idea has been kicked around for decades, and if either were ever to happen, it would be a pretty binary decision, rather than something that could be done incrementally.
    As I clarified, my comment about extremity was more about general policy and punitive actions rather than issues of statehood.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

EPG said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

EPG said:

why an amendment?
    Senators represent states.
    Yes, but that's NOT the reason an amendment MIGHT be needed.

Note that 37 states beyond the original 13 have been admitted to statehood - including electing US Senators - without amendment.

Like I said earlier, all you need is an Act of Congress - unless you are creating a new state from an existing state (as happened in cases of Maine & West Virginia) then you also need consent of that state.
    You can easily create a state from DC by legislation reducing the actual federal district required by the Constitution to just the Mall and government buildings adjacent to it and then admitting the rest to the Union by the usual simple majority of both houses. The problem then is what to do about the Twenty-Third Amendment, which gives the federal district three electoral votes.

The 23rd does say that Congress can legislate to the manner by which those electors are chosen, but they do have to be chosen, and this could easily become a way for sitting Presidents to guarantee themselves or their party’s candidate a three point starting bonus.
  • Options
    Charles said:

It’s funny how we get approving noises about ultra partisan ways to fuck with democracy when it benefits the Democrats.

Beware of unintended consequences - remember devolution was going to secure Labour’s stronghold in Scotland for all eternity

How is giving representation to the unrepresented fucking with democracy ?
    The future state of Puerto Rico ought to be fertile territory for a non racist conservative party.
  • Options

It's garbage.

This isn't new. It's an agreed measure after a lot of work by statisticians. On the available evidence, it's about right. If anything, it slightly undercounts total Covid deaths.

The number of people dying of Covid but without a confirmed test, or after more than 28 days, marginally outweighs the number of people who test positive, recover, but then die within the month when their mobile phone explodes or they get eaten by their pet snake.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    TimT said:

@rcs1000 Was just on the www.just.insure website. Are you currently just providing insurance in Arizona? If so, do you have plans to expand into MD anytime soon?

With COVID and much reduced mileage, your insurance model looks mighty attractive.

So, your insurance department has rules called "seasoning requirements". These say if you're an out of state insurer, then you need to have at least two years of operating history before you're allowed to sell insurance in Maryland. It's a horrible, anti-competitive law designed to protect Maryland based insurers.

(For the record, Maryland is not the worse - Alabama has a requirement for five years operating history.)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    Foxy said:

It's garbage.

The ONS figures include only cases where Covid 19 on the death certificate if you are that worried.

Do you really believe the massive spike in deaths of covid positive patients in recent weeks is misatribution? I missed the news of massive car pile ups on the way back from covid 19 drive thoughs, or terrorist attacks on student halls of residence...

Are the deaths per week much higher than usual for the time of year?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Why wouldn't they want to come to the best country in the world?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It's garbage.

I think if we are going to destroy our economy for a generation, fuckup millions of people's mental health and leave old people to die alone with no family then we should be doing it based on absolutely gold standard data and not garbage like this.

• Options

Alistair said:

The irony about all these discussions/decisions is that at the end of the day a set of electors in many states could still, under the constitution, simply turn up and ignore the democratic vote that was the base of their presence at the electoral college.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

That reminds of when I worked in Oslo. Hanging my head in shame has I had to put back a 6-pack of beer I tried to take through the supermarket check out at 8.05 p.m. You could only buy wines and spirits from state monopoly booze shops.
    State monopoly booze shops were in British Columbia too in the 80's. As the only one in the High School with genuine ID to prove age of 19, I became intimately familiar with all 4 in Victoria.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Daily Mail going major antilockdown...when we hit 1000 deaths a day, they will be running with why didn't Boris have a lockdown like France.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1321579392989016069?s=19
  • Options

I've got news for the Yardley Yeadon: most people in the UK wouldn't have a clue what FPR stood for.
    And since there have been days when the total positive rate was around 0.3%, the FPR can't be any higher than that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    edited October 2020
    If Trump manages to win, the 1992 UK GE might be the best parallel. Trump out on his soapbox as the underdog, and a lot of voters who said they would vote for Neil Kinnock's most famous plagiarist somehow fail to do so.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@rcs1000 Was just on the www.just.insure website. Are you currently just providing insurance in Arizona? If so, do you have plans to expand into MD anytime soon?

With COVID and much reduced mileage, your insurance model looks mighty attractive.

So, your insurance department has rules called "seasoning requirements". These say if you're an out of state insurer, then you need to have at least two years of operating history before you're allowed to sell insurance in Maryland. It's a horrible, anti-competitive law designed to protect Maryland based insurers.

(For the record, Maryland is not the worse - Alabama has a requirement for five years operating history.)
    Thanks. Looking forward to when you can operate here. Where are your next markets?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

They don't seem to have been put off by the structural racism that will apparently blight their lives when they arrive.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    alex_ said:

Alistair said:

The irony about all these discussions/decisions is that at the end of the day a set of electors in many states could still, under the constitution, simply turn up and ignore the democratic vote that was the base of their presence at the electoral college.
    That'd be brilliant for the popcorn industry.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Probably good news for Trump too I think.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    LadyG said:

They’re going into lockdown!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It's garbage.

Some of the death certificate figures are really quite weird. Nationally they add about 30% to the official figures. But these figures are now available at local level on the dashboard. Unless i’m misreading, my area (Richmond) appears to *only* have 111 deaths under the 28 day counting method. But over 900 on the death certificate method!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726

Alistair said:

If the SC try and intervene after people have voted in good faith expecting their ballots to be counted and then force thousands to be thrown out then they will have crossed a line from which there’s no going back . This is altogether a different matter from Bush v Gore. In Pennsylvania you’d have valid ballots , beyond question filled out properly not being counted because of retrospective action. Ironically this move could hurt the GOP as the Dems have been much quicker in returning their ballots.
  • Options

It's garbage.

This isn't new. It's an agreed measure after a lot of work by statisticians. On the available evidence, it's about right. If anything, it slightly undercounts total Covid deaths.

The number of people dying of Covid but without a confirmed test, or after more than 28 days, marginally outweighs the number of people who test positive, recover, but then die within the month when their mobile phone explodes or they get eaten by their pet snake.
    But my point is, on the face of it, a patient who in hospital dies of say sepsis but who has tested + 20 days ago (and is asymptomatic) is classed as dying from covid.

At least the ONS looks at the death certificate as @Foxy says.
  • Options

Foxy said:

It's garbage.

I think if we are going to destroy our economy for a generation, fuckup millions of people's mental health and leave old people to die alone with no family then we should be doing it based on absolutely gold standard data and not garbage like this.

What makes you think decisions are being made based only on the 28 day measure? The 28 day measure is fine right now as an approximation that gives the lay of the land to viewers. The other figures that are available aren't being kept from you, they just don't dump a thousand graphs on the evening news every night.
  • Options
    BBC News is just relentlessly Woke. From Iranian migrants to BLM to racially biased Met Police

It is unwatchable madness. This is a corporation determined to destroy itself. The BBC will not exist, as we know it, by 2030.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    edited October 2020
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Hang about - does this mean that Kavanaugh has actually discovered a sense of shame/embarrassment after been widely ridiculed/criticised for his embarrassingly sloppy opinion on the Wisconsin case? I wonder if he might have actually been given a dressing down by Roberts...
    You may well be right. Esp re: Roberts

Speaking of him, seems to me that - like a good Chief Justice - he has a knack for forging coalitions on the bench AND is not exactly straightforward about it.

But then again, great lawyers - such as our own TSE? - are NOT noted for making straightforwardness a professional virtue.

• Options

Marcus walking on water

Simply the best

I read that as “ hat trick in 16 seconds” at first...
  • Options

Foxy said:

It's garbage.

Look at the ONS figures based on death certificates then 🙄 You only need to wait 2 weeks.

I can understand arguing against restrictions on economic grounds, on libertarian grounds, even mental health grounds*; but simply denying the pandemic is crap.

*having close family members die isn't great for mental health either.
  • Options

Yep.
    I saw a genuine alkie in Oslo once. They were in soiled trousers drinking paint thinner.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

BBC News is just relentlessly Woke. From Iranian migrants to BLM to racially biased Met Police

It is unwatchable madness. This is a corporation determined to destroy itself. The BBC will not exist, as we know it, by 2030.

Have you tried watching other news programmes?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

They don't seem to have been put off by the structural racism that will apparently blight their lives when they arrive.
    These people were Kurdish Iranians. Most readers will know that that entails living a life entirely defined by structural racism to the extent that trying to migrate to a country with people like you in it might counterintuitively be the lesser of two evils. Your incuriosity about ROW is impressive.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

LadyG said:

Is the Naked News still available?
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Foxy said:

It's garbage.

What makes you think decisions are being made based only on the 28 day measure? The 28 day measure is fine right now as an approximation that gives the lay of the land to viewers. The other figures that are available aren't being kept from you, they just don't dump a thousand graphs on the evening news every night.
    Is there any reason why they shouldn’t publish all their data, for those who understand it to delve into? I must say, i’m suspicious if they really have much more advanced data than they are publicly giving us. There seem to be far to many decisions explicitly linked to the published numbers (remember when decisions on quarantine were clearly linked to the 20 per 100k figure in other countries, and there has been a clear link between 100 per 100k and going into tier 2...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited October 2020

If Trump manages to win, the 1992 UK GE might be the best parallel. Trump out on his soapbox as the underdog, and a lot of voters who said they would vote for Neil Kinnock's most famous plagiarist somehow fail to do so.

Except Biden will likely win the popular vote unlike Kinnock however I get the comparison, Trump like Major is campaigning to the end, in Arizona today, Michigan and Wisconsin and Nebraska yesterday, Pennsylvania on Monday, New Hampshire on Sunday.

As far as I understand it the only event Biden has done this week was in Georgia yesterday

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1321554736122789888?s=20

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1321561761615544320?s=20
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    LadyG said:

The irony is "the youth" don't watch it anyway - they just stream content from other providers direct - so the BBC is just alienating its core audience whilst gaining no-one.

They might *think* it's popular - I know their Woke articles get lots of hits - but that's because people like me click on them to see what nonsense they are pumping out today, not because I agree with it.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

LadyG said:

I've tried Russia Today. It is, in all honesty, these days, no worse than the BBC in its obvious bias. And it has more diverse reportage, it is not so stupidly, tediously obsessed with America.

What really saddens me is that I know some of these BBC news hacks. They are generally clever and sensitive people. They genuinely believe they are doing important, neutral journalism. But they are not. Their whole worldview is dictated by a narrow subset of liberal-left identitarian voices on social media - media on which the journalists crave "public approval" (from a similarly tiny group of people)

It has warped them and it is destroying the Beeb.

This PC fungus infected BBC drama first, now the rot has got into the news. I am fairly sure it is fatal. No one I know under 25 gives a fuck about the BBC, they barely ever consume it. The Corp as we know it is doomed and one of the reasons will be this grisly and unconscious bias, injected from Facebook, Twitter, etc.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

These people were Kurdish Iranians. Most readers will know that that entails living a life entirely defined by structural racism to the extent that trying to migrate to a country with people like you in it might counterintuitively be the lesser of two evils. Your incuriosity about ROW is impressive.
    They were coming from France.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

I'd rather any of that than a bunch of elderly left wing gammons making a bid for right on-ness by defending to the death Lily Allen's right to say that having a wank is ok. Between a consenting adult, natch.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

LadyG said:

Is the Naked News still available?
    Yes
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    If Puerto Rico was heavily Republican, as well as DC, and a Republican President, Senate and House were all planning to make moves to grant them swift statehood I rather fancy we'd hear slightly less of this argument.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

They were coming from France.
    Bastion of tolerance and colour blind harmony. Your incuriosity about ROW is impressive.
This discussion has been closed.