Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Announcing the PB WH2020 election night Zoom “party” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Foxy said:

I watched the new Borat film yesterday, I must say it pales compared to the original.

Naught but Uzbekistani propaganda from CHB!
    Few films are as funny as the first Borat, but the second does come close at times. Maria Bakalova is a great foil.
    Borat is at least as racist as 'The Birth of the Nation'.

Borat is like a Black-and-White Ministrel. When a White guy paints his face black and plays the part of a n outrageous buffoon, it is obviously racism. That is Borat.

Of course, you can make fun of muslim Kazakhs now, just as you could make fun of Blacks in 1915.

But, Baron Cohen will go the way of D W Griffiths or George Henry Elliot.
    Then you have exactly missed the point of Borat. He is using peoples bigoted views of what a man in a suit from a Central Asian republic are like as a mirror.
    No he isn't. Absolutely not. He thinks all Kazakhs are antisemites.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Foxy said:

I watched the new Borat film yesterday, I must say it pales compared to the original.

Few films are as funny as the first Borat, but the second does come close at times. Maria Bakalova is a great foil.

Borat is like a Black-and-White Ministrel. When a White guy paints his face black and plays the part of a n outrageous buffoon, it is obviously racism. That is Borat.

Of course, you can make fun of muslim Kazakhs now, just as you could make fun of Blacks in 1915.

Then you have exactly missed the point of Borat. He is using peoples bigoted views of what a man in a suit from a Central Asian republic are like as a mirror.
    It is also not very funny. Much like the Black & White Ministrel Show.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

welshowl said:

We have tended to mirror France, with a lag. The Government needs to get a grip on this now - but I fear yet again they will do nothing and in three weeks we'll be in another hole.

How’s old Drakeford going then? He has the power to be a shining example. If whatever you want.

Reality - He’s done bugger all different for months till Friday when he had a total brain fart and is currently just about public enemy no 1 here.
    Drakeford has done something decisive, whether you agree with it or not the reality is that the only thing that got cases down in the UK was a full lockdown.

BoJo is doing nothing - and cases are still going on. He needs to implement a lockdown to stop us turning into France.
    I assume you live in a tier 1 location? Otherwise I don’t understand how you think the government is doing nothing. You may think we need to do more. That’s your right, but to categorise the restrictions on a huge swath of England as doing nothing is just ridiculous. I was lucky enough to meet with 3 of my extended family today for a nice lunch at my parents house Many in England can’t do that.
  • Options

welshowl said:

We have tended to mirror France, with a lag. The Government needs to get a grip on this now - but I fear yet again they will do nothing and in three weeks we'll be in another hole.

How’s old Drakeford going then? He has the power to be a shining example. If whatever you want.

Reality - He’s done bugger all different for months till Friday when he had a total brain fart and is currently just about public enemy no 1 here.
    Drakeford has done something decisive, whether you agree with it or not the reality is that the only thing that got cases down in the UK was a full lockdown.

BoJo is doing nothing - and cases are still going on. He needs to implement a lockdown to stop us turning into France.
    I assume you live in a tier 1 location? Otherwise I don’t understand how you think the government is doing nothing. You may think we need to do more. That’s your right, but to categorise the restrictions on a huge swath of England as doing nothing is just ridiculous. I was lucky enough to meet with 3 of my extended family today for a nice lunch at my parents house Many in England can’t do that.
    I live in London.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

rcs1000 said:

When I worked for Goldman Sachs, we would find ourselves on these crazy long roadshows visiting investors. You'd arrive in a City at 11pm, get four hours sleep in an expensive hotel, wake up to do calls with London, then do a breakfast presentation to 20 people, before being whisked off to the next place. I'd often awake to an alarm at 4:30am, and have no idea which city I was in.

For Trump, Pence, Biden and Harris, I imagine it's even worse: speech, press flesh, meeting with donor, calls with campaign staff, flight (where you hopefully can catch 20 winks), rinse repeat.

Her not knowing where she is is - I suspect - an occupational hazard of the last two weeks of a Presidential campaign.
    Several times I have woken up in hotel room not being clear which city I am in or what day of the week it is. And thats a fraction of the travel that rock bands and politicians have to endure. I'm not remotely surprised by the question
    I'm sure @SeanT has had similar experiences.
    My dad grew up in Bexhill, and used to tell the story of the councillor who was whisked onto the council after a working life in the Raj and surprisingly quickly made Mayor. When he made his first public speech in that capacity, he started:

"Good citizens of Bombay..."

I doubt if it will shift many votes.
  • Options

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
  • Options

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    BoJo is doing nothing, the cases continue to rise.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2020
    One of my hypothesis was that there are a bunch of Obama/DNV 2012/2016 voters out there who Biden can coax out to vote.

Suprise mother fuckers, genius Alistair strikes again

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1319971956607901696?s=19

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1319971957694255104?s=19
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

In the world I live in nobody is talking about free school meals.

Perhaps because they're capable parents.

Lovely comment.
    It is and that's what worries you.

The responsible will not want to pay extra taxes to subsidise the feckless.

Its what Blair knew but Labour have since forgot.
    I don't think that's fair, lots of people are currently in jobs that the government has made unviable and have taken huge cuts in their salary. That's not their fault and kids shouldn't suffer for it.

There's loads of responsible parents out there who are going to end up on the 67% furlough next month, that's a huge cut to their income and they need the extra help.

The government is being unnecessarily callous and mean spirited, there's a local restaurant which is making meals for children near me and I donated to their effort, but it's not going to be enough and children are going to go hungry because parents have to pay the rent and bills and juggle a 33% drop in income.
  • Options

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    You are a hopeless case. I’m sure most folk in tiers 3 and 2, and probably in tier 1 will not say its nothing.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Foxy said:

It is also not very funny. Much like the Black & White Ministrel Show.
    Its definitely funnier than the B&WMS
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

Meanwhile west of Offa’s duke Drakeford has tweeted a “review of how the weekend has gone” is in the offing.

Well who’d have thunk it? The fact he’s tweeting on a Saturday night and has had his arse flamed relentlessly all day by an incandescent Welsh public might just have penetrated the inner recesses of the Welsh Govts’s hive mind.

White weasel like creatures going backwards rapidly incoming methinks.

I hope you have signed the Senedd petition. It is only at 40,396. Largest ever petition in history of the Senedd.

And that's only after a day.
    Yup. I have.
  • Options

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    You are a hopeless case. I’m sure most folk in tiers 3 and 2, and probably in tier 1 will not say its nothing.
    It's doing nothing, the cases are continuing to rise. We need a lockdown now to get them under control and if we hadn't pissed around in July we would have been able to prevent this course of action.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

When I worked for Goldman Sachs, we would find ourselves on these crazy long roadshows visiting investors. You'd arrive in a City at 11pm, get four hours sleep in an expensive hotel, wake up to do calls with London, then do a breakfast presentation to 20 people, before being whisked off to the next place. I'd often awake to an alarm at 4:30am, and have no idea which city I was in.

For Trump, Pence, Biden and Harris, I imagine it's even worse: speech, press flesh, meeting with donor, calls with campaign staff, flight (where you hopefully can catch 20 winks), rinse repeat.

Her not knowing where she is is - I suspect - an occupational hazard of the last two weeks of a Presidential campaign.
    Indeed, but it is precisely the kind of gaffe that plays right into Trump's message.
    Gaffes - pussygate, bigoted woman, etc. - very rarely move many votes.
    "Deplorables" probably did. It at least motivated people to vote.
    Perhaps because it crystallised in a single phrase a prevalent view of Clinton.

I really don’t think the Harris remark is even on the scale. Will make a few Trump enthusiasts briefly happy, I guess; no more than that.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Meanwhile west of Offa’s duke Drakeford has tweeted a “review of how the weekend has gone” is in the offing.

Well who’d have thunk it? The fact he’s tweeting on a Saturday night and has had his arse flamed relentlessly all day by an incandescent Welsh public might just have penetrated the inner recesses of the Welsh Govts’s hive mind.

I hope you have signed the Senedd petition. It is only at 40,396. Largest ever petition in history of the Senedd.

Yup. I have.
    So have my wife and I plus our son and daughter and spouses
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    It's doing nothing, the cases are continuing to rise. We need a lockdown now to get them under control and if we hadn't pissed around in July we would have been able to prevent this course of action.
    It's not doing nothing. Perhaps it is not enough, but they are certainly doing something.
  • Options
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    It's not doing nothing. Perhaps it is not enough, but they are certainly doing something.
    Cases are continuing to rise, it is doing nothing.
  • Options
    Maybe wait for the lag to unwind? You may well be right and cases will continue to rise. However don’t forget the fear factor. The worse it gets the more people will take more precautions.
  • Options
    It is totally the result of this useless Government that we're in this mess. We had it under control in July and we didn't do anything. Instead Johnson said get back to work and the pub.
  • Options

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    Surely that falls into the "perhaps it is not enough" category. If they were doing nothing, why was there an almighty fuss about the nothing they were imposing on cities in the north without financial support.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    Surely that falls into the "perhaps it is not enough" category. If they were doing nothing, why was there an almighty fuss about the nothing they were imposing on cities in the north without financial support.
    It's not doing anything, it's not enough, this is all just arguing about semantics.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Did we do this thread? I know there's supposed to be a logic in disturbing areas in heavily Dem areas and trying to pick fights but no area is 100% Dem, and it can't be helpful to annoy the shit out of any undecided or soft Trump voters waiting in line.

I feel like the MAGA people are thinking too hard about triggering libs, and not enough about the whole issue of getting people to vote for you.

https://twitter.com/alexoimas/status/1320079972116107264?s=19
  • Options
    edited October 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    It's not doing anything, it's not enough, this is all just arguing about semantics.
    Welcome to PB! ;)

The situation seems clear to me. They are doing something, you just don't think it's enough.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    justin124 said:

Andy_JS said:

Can anyone remember not putting the clocks back in 1968, 1969 and 1970?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time#Periods_of_deviation

I do indeed - rather dark going to school in December and January!
    Thanks for the reply. (Don't know why someone's flagged the comment).
  • Options
    I see petitions are now interesting again, funny we didn't get the same response about the Brexit one.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    edited October 2020

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    R (calculated from cases) has come down from a big peak a few weeks ago. There are some indications it may be rising again. We shall see...

Edited to add - the last update of ONS data (Friday) was thus

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    Welcome to PB! The situation seems clear to me. They are doing something, you just don't think it's enough.
    Do you think it's enough? To me the measure of "working" is cases going down, what's your definition?
  • Options

It is totally the result of this useless Government that we're in this mess. We had it under control in July and we didn't do anything. Instead Johnson said get back to work and the pub.

Presumably he also told the French , Spanish and Italians to do the same thing? At some point we may need to lockdown again but the problem is it’s ruinous to do so. We are now trying to follow a different path, much closer to what was originally laid out in March - I.e. squash the sombrero. Keep the nhs going but keeping cases down, and no longer trying to eradicate the virus.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    Welcome to PB! The situation seems clear to me. They are doing something, you just don't think it's enough.
    Do you think it's enough? To me the measure of "working" is cases going down, what's your definition?
    I don't know, it's too early to tell what effect the latest round of restrictions have had.

Edit: didn't mean to come off snarky in my last post. Added the wink in a little too late.
  • Options

Presumably he also told the French , Spanish and Italians to do the same thing? At some point we may need to lockdown again but the problem is it’s ruinous to do so. We are now trying to follow a different path, much closer to what was originally laid out in March - I.e. squash the sombrero. Keep the nhs going but keeping cases down, and no longer trying to eradicate the virus.
    Or the Germans, or New Zealand, or Japan, we didn't have to be in this position.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    On that tweet I just posted I'm not seeing any video which is weird, so maybe it's made up.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    I don't know, it's too early to tell what effect the latest round of restrictions have had.
    What is your definition of working?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    Isn't that clear, a reduction in the infection rate?
  • Options

Or the Germans, or New Zealand, or Japan, we didn't have to be in this position.
    You obviously haven't seen the Germany cases chart over the past few days....
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?
    Fine, we're agreed on that.

I don't believe the current measures are working to achieve that.
  • Options

How does Germany compare to the UK in terms of deaths, or total cases?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

One of my hypothesis was that there are a bunch of Obama/DNV 2012/2016 voters out there who Biden can coax out to vote.

Suprise mother fuckers, genius Alistair strikes again

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1319971956607901696?s=19

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1319971957694255104?s=19

LMAO

This Tom Bonier?

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2042399/poll-gives-clinton-wide-lead-florida-strong

Believe him if you wish.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lovely comment.

I don't think that's fair, lots of people are currently in jobs that the government has made unviable and have taken huge cuts in their salary. That's not their fault and kids shouldn't suffer for it.

There's loads of responsible parents out there who are going to end up on the 67% furlough next month, that's a huge cut to their income and they need the extra help.

The government is being unnecessarily callous and mean spirited, there's a local restaurant which is making meals for children near me and I donated to their effort, but it's not going to be enough and children are going to go hungry because parents have to pay the rent and bills and juggle a 33% drop in income.
    Isn't that an example of the 'big society' Cameron proposed ? While being someone who was often critical of Cameron I thought he was on the right lines there.

A problem is that free school meals was already morphing into a 'long term' and 'permanent end to child poverty' campaign.

Well if I'm going to pay more taxes for that then its time for me to stop donating at the supermarket.
  • Options

Is that the Germany with 13,476 cases announced today? This is an awful virus with characteristics that make it very hard to stop. We are not alone in struggling.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?

That is clear. But the thing we were arguing about was whether they are actually doing anything at all.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed, but it is precisely the kind of gaffe that plays right into Trump's message.
    I don't know - how much is simply us wanting a narrative?

But I agree: that was sufficiently serious (unlike 'which city am I in?')
    Yes, I'm not sure it shifted any votes but it definitely made people more determined to vote for Trump.
    But thought they were already at a fever pitch of excitement? Except maybe the Shy Trumpskyites.
  • Options

Is that the Germany with 13,476 cases announced today? This is an awful virus with characteristics that make it very hard to stop. We are not alone in struggling.
    It was 14,714....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN27903L
  • Options

How has Germany performed compared to the UK since this whole thing kicked off, I would suggest a lot better than us.

Or we can compare to New Zealand and Japan if you'd rather. Or Singapore.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?

That is clear. But the thing we were arguing about was whether they are actually doing anything at all.
    I don't think they are doing anything at all, the cases are still going up!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lovely comment.

Agreed, and good for you, Max.

And even if some might think some parents ‘feckless’, is that really their children’s fault, and should they be the ones to go hungry for it ?
  • Options
    We need to get a lock on this now, we're seeing what is happening in France and to me it seems we aren't doing enough. Tougher restrictions are needed.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?

What we need is the counter-factual where nothing had changed in terms of policy and announcements since the end of the summer. I find it hard to imagine the cases not being a lot higher in that case.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020

You were saying we had it under control, then we lost control. Germany have shot up from 2.5k to 15k cases in a day in space 2 weeks.

At the moment, nobody in Europe has it under control this time around.
  • Options

On that tweet I just posted I'm not seeing any video which is weird, so maybe it's made up.

Some people casting aspersions on it on the basis that Penn just has drop boxes not early voting locations.

Don't know the truth either way.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    The chance of PA being the tipping point state has increased slightly to 28% according to 538.

https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    welshowl said:

Drakeford tweeted during a quiet interval between tries in the France Wales match.
  • Options
    His Foul Lowness looks especially cheesy AND sinister here.

Willing to bet his "duties" will include neither public appearances OR testifying to US authorities re: his reprehensible activities & criminal associates (or visa versa).
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Dear dear dear fucking Christ. Drakeford is being flayed alive here for his stupidity. His done something decisive ok, he’s destroyed his credibility.

You live in London I understand.

Well here in Cardiff:-

I can’t buy baby clothes or indeed any clothes.

I can’t buy an umbrella. ( it does rain here a tad)

I can’t buy bedding.

I can’t buy a tin opener.

I can’t buy birthday cards.

I can buy vodka.

I can buy digestive biscuits.

I can buy tins ( oh shit see above)

It’s probably as easy to buy a £20 heroin wrap as a duvet. Both are equally illegal.

This is what lunatic govt looks like. And it’s real, here, now, my reality.

Drakeford’s having his arse flamed incessantly about this, and has announced a “review”. On a Saturday night (ie he knows he’s drowning). Good, if he reverses ferret.

Wanna swap? ‘Cos London looks pretty sane in comparison.

I would like to see the same in the rest of the UK, to get the cases down.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?

Is this just a language thing? When you say isn’t doing anything you mean not doing enough?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Some people casting aspersions on it on the basis that Penn just has drop boxes not early voting locations.

Checked, there is in person early voting in PA.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

welshowl said:

I live in London.
    So tier 2 is nothing?

Is this just a language thing? When you say isn’t doing anything you mean not doing enough?
    It's a simple question, is it working? If cases are still going up, I would suggest it is not working.
  • Options

Willing to bet his "duties" will include neither public appearances OR testifying to US authorities re: his reprehensible activities & criminal associates (or visa versa).
    I would be careful about what you say he has or has not done.
  • Options
    If it is not working, it's not doing anything.
  • Options

We could significantly reduce the number of positive cases by only carrying out the number of tests Germany is managing.
  • Options
    Good night
  • Options
    As in ‘doing anything’ you mean ‘achieving anything’? The doing is surely the restrictions?
  • Options

If it is not working, it's not doing anything.

Or that what you are doing does not go far enough. If they had actually done nothing I think the situation would be a lot worse.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Dear dear dear fucking Christ. Drakeford is being flayed alive here for his stupidity. His done something decisive ok, he’s destroyed his credibility.

I can’t buy bedding.

I can buy vodka.

It’s probably as easy to buy a £20 heroin wrap as a duvet. Both are equally illegal.

Drakeford’s having his arse flamed incessantly about this, and has announced a “review”. On a Saturday night (ie he knows he’s drowning). Good, if he reverses ferret.

Yeah right. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

We could significantly reduce the number of positive cases by only carrying out the number of tests Germany is managing.
    Germany's positivity rate is lower.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    That Gravis poll for Pennsylvania is quite a surprise . Conducted on the 23rd October so after the debate and Biden’s gaffe on energy. They also oversampled Trump 2016 voters with the recall being plus 5 in terms of vote when he only won that by barely 1 percent . The gender gap is huge once again which has been one of the big takeaways of this election so far .
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

IIRC it's only for mail-in or absentee drop-off, not ballotless.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    edited October 2020

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1320119457793138688

Oh great, we're back onto false hope stories again, what a totally irresponsible press we have

That does seem to be consistent with other noises we've had recently on the vaccine roll-out, that it could be sooner rather than later. We'll find out soon enough!
    I wouldn't get too excited.

Pfizer is the only one talking about having the results ready in November. Then there will be all the hoops to jump through.

Oxford say they won't have enough people in trial, enough infections etc until the end of the year.

Moderna are nowhere near.
    Pfizer should get efficacy data out this month (i.e. next week), AZN/Oxford hopefully next month. The soonest to be sure of safety for Pfizer is third week of November. Moderna should get efficacy by the end of the year.

Pfizer has really hit the ball out of the park - they were only the third Western company into Phase 3, but they'll be first out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I would be careful about what you say he has or has not done.
    Understand what you mean, but have said worse about HRH (or rather HFL) without moderation from moderators.

Methinks it the Palace that should be careful. VERY careful when it comes to how they handle (or rather mishandle) this massive pile of royal pigshit on the steps of Buckingham Palace.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I really don’t think the Harris remark is even on the scale. Will make a few Trump enthusiasts briefly happy, I guess; no more than that.
    Talking of crystallising am surprised so little has been made of "malarkey".
    Seems to sum up everything about Don's reign in a single word.
    It is also quaint, non-abusive and almost archaic. Summing up Biden too.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    justin124 said:

That classic Tory to Green swing.

At a GE I would expect 2% of that Green total to switch to Labour.
    On the merits of their arguments?

Or on the back of an utterly shite electoral system?
  • Options

He would ‘ serve his country’ by disappearing from public view for a very long time.

Btw, do you think Barrett (assuming she’s seated) will be brazen enough to vote to disallow the PA postal ballots ? Seems unlikely to me, but I wouldn’t be totally astonished.
  • Options

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

I can’t buy bedding.

I can buy vodka.

Huh? The "non-essential" goods ban is nothing to do with keeping cases down . It is the fetishisation of small business.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

He would ‘ serve his country’ by disappearing from public view for a very long time.

Btw, do you think Barrett (assuming she’s seated) will be brazen enough to vote to disallow the PA postal ballots ? Seems unlikely to me, but I wouldn’t be totally astonished.
    Of course she will not, would be mind-numbing stupid action for someone who, whatever you may think of her politics & jurisprudence, is clearly NOT a dummy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Mango said:

justin124 said:

That classic Tory to Green swing.

At a GE I would expect 2% of that Green total to switch to Labour.
    On the merits of their arguments?

Or on the back of an utterly shite electoral system?
    Mostly the latter, but thats FPTP.

I voted Green in 2019, but wouldn't do so in a marginal.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Apparently it is new for this election. Apply for your absentee ballot and the application is processed while you wait.

https://www.votespa.com/Voting-in-PA/Pages/Early-Voting.aspx
  • Options

Do you have actual data ?

Everything I've seen suggests Germany is only doing about half the level of testing as the UK.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Talking of crystallising am surprised so little has been made of "malarkey".
    Seems to sum up everything about Don's reign in a single word.
    It is also quaint, non-abusive and almost archaic. Summing up Biden too.
    Chaos is the word I'd use to sum up Trump.

Its something he seems to encourage because he thrives on it.
  • Options

Everything I've seen suggests Germany is only doing about half the level of testing as the UK.
    These are from today:

UK COVID update:

- New cases: 23,012
    - Positivity rate: 6.8% (+0.8)
    - In hospital: 8,360 (+77)
    - In ICU: 743 (-2)
    - New deaths: 174

Germany COVID update:

- New cases: 10,420
    - Positivity rate: 5.5% est.
    - In hospital: 5,532 est. (+357)
    - In ICU: 1,206 (+85)
    - New deaths: 22
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

welshowl said:

Presumably mostly English signatures? :)
  • Options

These are from today:

UK COVID update:

Germany COVID update:

That's not todays data from Germany, they reported nearly 15k cases.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    edited October 2020

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Not so, though PA registration deadline for this election was Oct 19, so would-be voter IS out of luck if not already registered,

However -

"If you are a registered Pennsylvania voter, you can use the new early in-person voting option available under the bipartisan Act 77.

As soon as ballots are ready, you can request, receive, mark and cast your mail-in or absentee ballot all in one visit to your county election office or other designated location.

Step 1:
    Submit a completed mail-in or absentee ballot application at your county election office or other designated location."

• Options
    Either she's a big old softy, he's lying, or she's gone gaga - time for a regency?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

He has a vaguely Trumpian aspect in that photo.

This is just batshit, though. No one would reinstate him for his own sake, so I assume this is being done to troll Harry n Megs.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Not so, though PA registration deadline for this election was Oct 19, so would-be voter IS out of luck if not already registered,

However -

"If you are a registered Pennsylvania voter, you can use the new early in-person voting option available under the bipartisan Act 77.

As soon as ballots are ready, you can request, receive, mark and cast your mail-in or absentee ballot all in one visit to your county election office or other designated location."

Yes, that's what I said. This is about people who have pre-requested ballots, this is not true IPEV.
  • Options
    I feel like many comments are so stream of consciousness already that at the least utterances on Zoom in real time would be no less chaotic.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Of course she will not, would be mind-numbing stupid action for someone who, whatever you may think of her politics & jurisprudence, is clearly NOT a dummy.
    It would indeed be stupid, but there are four other fellow justices who voted that way already...
    As I said upthread, it seems extremely unlikely, but not impossible - if the election looked a lot closer, then less impossible.
  • Options

These are from today:

UK COVID update:

Germany COVID update:

That's not todays data from Germany, they reported nearly 15k cases.
    It's from this source.

https://twitter.com/risklayer/status/1320117873646370817
  • Options

These are from today:

UK COVID update:

Germany COVID update:

On a quick calculation that suggests the UK did about 340k tests and Germany about 190k tests.

So if the UK reduced its testing to German levels the number of new UK cases would be about 13k.

And yes I am aware that the actual number infected would be far higher than the recorded number.

But it does mean that countries which do manage greater testing look worse in comparison to those that do not.

Incidentally those German hospital numbers show that they are doing rather worse than their positive case numbers would suggest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I feel like many comments are so stream of consciousness already that at the least utterances on Zoom in real time would be no less chaotic.

Fun though.
    If I get the chance, I’ll drop in.
  • Options
    I'm disappointed in the Senedd petitions site - most of them are not obviously bonkers, which does not seem in the spirit of things.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Fun though.
    I do have work in the morning, though if I can find someone with an extremely authoritative or sexy voice to fill in for me, that would be grand.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It would indeed be stupid, but there are four other fellow justices who voted that way already...
    As I said upthread, it seems extremely unlikely, but not impossible - if the election looked a lot closer, then less impossible.
    Yeah, but (assuming Roberts voted the other way) she would be the deciding vote. NOT a good way to begin your SCOTUS career, as Richard Taney in drag.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yeah, but (assuming Roberts voted the other way) she would be the deciding vote. NOT a good way to begin your SCOTUS career, as Richard Taney in drag.
    And merely to throw a Hail Mary pass which will almost certainly not connect.

On the other hand, she’s the justice who ‘can’t recall’ what she did as a lawyer for the Bush v Gore case, so her mind isn’t quite the steel trap made out.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Presumably mostly English signatures? :)
    We had to put in our post code but of course that could be fake

However, the number does tally with the widespread anger
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Fun though.
    I do have work in the morning, though if I can find someone with an extremely authoritative or sexy voice to fill in for me, that would be grand.
    I’ll think about it.
This discussion has been closed.