Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Announcing the PB WH2020 election night Zoom “party” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Oo, we have a "Gravis Marketing" Pennsylvania poll.

Biden 51% (+3)
    Trump 44% (-1)

Changes from 24th July.

So using the @HYUFD method, if we allocate all of the 5% others to Trump, Biden still wins.

Yes, but it is then well within the margin of error and as the polls will have underestimated Trump because of shy voters he wins.

Simples.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1320077876545421338

2 point lead for Labour, Tories on 38 their lowest yet, their support is crumbling

Only the beginning. Wait until you see the numbers by next summer.
    I predicted crossover this weekend following a week of out of touch government allowing Burnham and Marcus Rushford to take over the agenda

As I said earlier this week I would have voted with Labour over free schools meals but HMG should have led it

The only surprise is Labour remain static and Starmer is only 1 point ahead of Boris

The brexit negotiation needs a deal, any deal

Then time the backbenchers starting writing letters to the 1922
    would you have voted with Labour over free school meals?
    Nah he wouldn't, he's a liar and a bully.
    You are out of order

I most certainly would vote for labour's amendment

Who do you think you are accusing me of being a liar

You have already been called out by my fellow posters when you accused me of being a liar when I voted remain

You need help

You're a liar.

And you're a bully.

End of story.

You think you can come on here and tell me and others what to do and then you have the arrogance to play the victim, I won't stand for it any more.
    I don't recognize your version of @Big_G_NorthWales

He's unfailingly polite in my experience and I have yet to come across a lie.

You're entitled to your view but like I said, I am not the only person to have pointed this out. He's a bully.
  • Options

Dare to dream of the end of the Tory Party's period in Government? I do

You are over reacting its one poll but its a very good one

Well done Andy Burnham
    Andy Burnham and Marcus Rashford may just be the catalyst that sees the conservative party change it's leader
    Both good Manc lads.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2020

To be honest he was the person for the time but covid has shown him to be unable to adapt to the leadership needed

There is another decrepit leader needing prompt despatch, Big_G.

Go to the Senedd webpage and sign the fastest growing Senedd petition ever. It is also the largest ever.

"The Welsh Government, as part of its 17 day "firebreak" lockdown, is banning the selling of non-essential goods from shops that are allowed to remain open. We do not agree that this is a prudent or rational measure, and will create more harm than good. We do not agree for example that parents should be barred from buying clothes for their children during lockdown while out shopping. This is disproportionate and cruel and we ask that the decision be reversed immediately."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Andy_JS said:

Georgia has flip-flopped again on 538's forecast. ME2 is also very close to switching.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

Dead heat in Georgia.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

2 point lead for Labour, Tories on 38 their lowest yet, their support is crumbling

I predicted crossover this weekend following a week of out of touch government allowing Burnham and Marcus Rushford to take over the agenda

As I said earlier this week I would have voted with Labour over free schools meals but HMG should have led it

The only surprise is Labour remain static and Starmer is only 1 point ahead of Boris

You are out of order

You have already been called out by my fellow posters when you accused me of being a liar when I voted remain

You need help

You're a liar.

And you're a bully.

End of story.

You think you can come on here and tell me and others what to do and then you have the arrogance to play the victim, I won't stand for it any more.

I do appreciate your support

I have always been recognised for my honesty and integrity and to be called a liar over my vote to remain and now over my declaration of support for labour's amendment by someone with not an ounce of evidence is beyond the pale
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

When I worked for Goldman Sachs, we would find ourselves on these crazy long roadshows visiting investors. You'd arrive in a City at 11pm, get four hours sleep in an expensive hotel, wake up to do calls with London, then do a breakfast presentation to 20 people, before being whisked off to the next place. I'd often awake to an alarm at 4:30am, and have no idea which city I was in.

For Trump, Pence, Biden and Harris, I imagine it's even worse: speech, press flesh, meeting with donor, calls with campaign staff, flight (where you hopefully can catch 20 winks), rinse repeat.

Her not knowing where she is is - I suspect - an occupational hazard of the last two weeks of a Presidential campaign.
    Several times I have woken up in hotel room not being clear which city I am in or what day of the week it is. And thats a fraction of the travel that rock bands and politicians have to endure. I'm not remotely surprised by the question
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996

PB Zooming First Tuesday After the First Monday in November is great idea.

Some quick questions:

1. for more technically-challenged, what is best way to obtain, install and use (for this particular meeting) Zoom?

2. how long do you need to set up Zoom and get reasonably up to speed.

3. what are some basic operational does & don'ts for PB Zoom meetup? For example, is the advice to use headphones to keep down extraneous noise? And how can common Zooming faux pas be avoided?

4. will there still be provision for standard PBing on this site, and how can it be integrated with PB Zoom (provided that's actually a good thing to do)?

5. how long is PB Zooming likely to last? And, given time change, what's time diff on Nov 3 between London & NYC?

Apologize for my crass ignorance & inexperience, but am a true techno-peasant!

@SeaShantyIrish2 @DoubleCarpet To answer your queries:

You can download Zoom here https://zoom.us/download but it will automatically download anyway when you click on the link that Mike will provide on the night.

When you click on the link you will automatically be led to a PB Election Night Waiting Room to await admittance. There I suggest you change you Zoom name to your PB handle so everyone knows who you are. Search around for how to change your name.

Enable audio and video (look for the tabs)

When you are admitted, you will see lots of screens of people who are already there.

There is a maximum of 25 mini-screens on the main screen at the same time but you can scroll across to see everyone. I don't think there is a limit. You can toggle between seeing all 25 mini-screens or just one close-up screen of whoever is talking at that moment (or making a noise).

You don't need headphones.

I suggest you mute your audio until you want to speak to hide extraneous noises. I have the master mute button so I can mute everyone at once if it gets too cacophonous.

There is a chat buttton so you can chat to everyone or to a named individual privately for snide remarks. It complements PB which will be running in parallel.

I'll leave it running, even if I go to bed. The premium edition (which I have) runs for 24 hours before it stops.

The plan is to start around midnight GMT.

This is a first so it could be complete chaos!
  • Options

To be honest he was the person for the time but covid has shown him to be unable to adapt to the leadership needed

Go to the Senedd webpage and sign the fastest growing Senedd petition ever. It is also the largest ever.

"The Welsh Government, as part of its 17 day "firebreak" lockdown, is banning the selling of non-essential goods from shops that are allowed to remain open. We do not agree that this is a prudent or rational measure, and will create more harm than good. We do not agree for example that parents should be barred from buying clothes for their children during lockdown while out shopping. This is disproportionate and cruel and we ask that the decision be reversed immediately."
    Yes both of us have been given the details by both our son and daughter
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Remember those of us with toddlers tomorrow morning.

Whilst you get an extra hour in bed, I will just have an extra long day.

Been there done that. Am now 20 years older. Feels like 40.
    Just done virtual drinks with ex work people. One asked if our new 6 bed house meant more babies. Mrs RP and I both looked at each other and in stereo said "oh fuck no!"

I love all three of my kids. I still remember that mind-blowing clean smell you get off newborns. But I don't want any more.
  • Options

Diolch.

And I can also confirm that you voted Remain, unlike the wicked YBarddCwsc.😁
  • Options

Dare to dream of the end of the Tory Party's period in Government? I do

You are over reacting its one poll but its a very good one

Well done Andy Burnham
    Andy Burnham and Marcus Rashford may just be the catalyst that sees the conservative party change it's leader
    Both good Manc lads.
    Indeed and Marcus is so mature for someone so young

He has a great future in front of him and as a life long Man Utd supporter I back him on the field and absolutely in his campaign

I believe between them they have dramatically changed the narrative and not in a good way for Boris
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Barnesian said:

PB Zooming First Tuesday After the First Monday in November is great idea.

Some quick questions:

1. for more technically-challenged, what is best way to obtain, install and use (for this particular meeting) Zoom?

2. how long do you need to set up Zoom and get reasonably up to speed.

3. what are some basic operational does & don'ts for PB Zoom meetup? For example, is the advice to use headphones to keep down extraneous noise? And how can common Zooming faux pas be avoided?

4. will there still be provision for standard PBing on this site, and how can it be integrated with PB Zoom (provided that's actually a good thing to do)?

5. how long is PB Zooming likely to last? And, given time change, what's time diff on Nov 3 between London & NYC?

Apologize for my crass ignorance & inexperience, but am a true techno-peasant!

@SeaShantyIrish2 @DoubleCarpet To answer your queries:

You can download Zoom here https://zoom.us/download but it will automatically download anyway when you click on the link that Mike will provide on the night.

When you click on the link you will automatically be led to a PB Election Night Waiting Room to await admittance. There I suggest you change you Zoom name to your PB handle so everyone knows who you are. Search around for how to change your name.

Enable audio and video (look for the tabs)

When you are admitted, you will see lots of screens of people who are already there.

There is a maximum of 25 mini-screens on the main screen at the same time but you can scroll across to see everyone. I don't think there is a limit. You can toggle between seeing all 25 mini-screens or just one close-up screen of whoever is talking at that moment (or making a noise).

You don't need headphones.

I suggest you mute your audio until you want to speak to hide extraneous noises. I have the master mute button so I can mute everyone at once if it gets too cacophonous.

There is a chat buttton so you can chat to everyone or to a named individual privately for snide remarks. It complements PB which will be running in parallel.

I'll leave it running, even if I go to bed. The premium edition (which I have) runs for 24 hours before it stops.

The plan is to start around midnight GMT.

This is a first so it could be complete chaos!
    You may want to assign some trusted folks to act as moderators/hosts that will be on throughout. Having a room with a public link and no moderation is just asking for trouble.
  • Options

Diolch.

He's a bully, I am afraid that is beyond dispute with the way he's spoken to me and other users in recent times.
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks now Labour again voter BigG on your views on the fate of Boris
    Do not put words into my mouth

Boris is not the person for todays crisis and more and more conservatives are concluding the same
    Sadly a lot of Tory members missed that blatantly obvious flaw when they voted for him.

I want him to be replaced for several reasons but as the union is important to my wife and I his toxicity in Scotland makes it more and more likely sadly
    Sorry, can't agree with you there.

There was never a time when BoJo was the right answer.

Not when he was a hopeless Foreign Secretary.
    Not when he became the figurehead for the anti-TMay lobby.
    Not when he lobotomised the Cabinet.
    Not when he withdrew the whip from Clarke, Soames et al in an act that combined petulance and hypocrisy.
    Not when he shut down Parliament.
    Not when he signed up for a border in the Irish Sea.

He brought stability to the government, but that was largely because he had been a major source of the instability.

Covid has made the issues starker, but something like this was always likely to play out.
  • Options
    I won't be joining the Zoom session but I hope you enjoy yourselves.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,694
    edited October 2020
    Can anyone remember not putting the clocks back in 1968, 1969 and 1970?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time#Periods_of_deviation
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

You are out of order

You need help

You're a liar.

And you're a bully.

End of story.

You're entitled to your view but like I said, I am not the only person to have pointed this out. He's a bully.
    Nobody on this forum has ever called me a liar

Just you and by the look of it not big enough to apologise
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

A friend of mine just voted in Manhattan: he queued four hours to vote.

I think the longest I've ever waited to vote is about 20 seconds.
    I had to queue for about 5 - 10 minutes in the 2010 GE (Sheffield Central). It's probably about as long as it gets in this country - obviously being a very urban constituency.
    Sheffield council bolloxed the polling stations in 2010.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

You are out of order

You need help

You're a liar.

And you're a bully.

End of story.

You've never apologised for bullying me or bullying others, I am afraid this moral high ground argument is pathetic.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264

rcs1000 said:

When I worked for Goldman Sachs, we would find ourselves on these crazy long roadshows visiting investors. You'd arrive in a City at 11pm, get four hours sleep in an expensive hotel, wake up to do calls with London, then do a breakfast presentation to 20 people, before being whisked off to the next place. I'd often awake to an alarm at 4:30am, and have no idea which city I was in.

For Trump, Pence, Biden and Harris, I imagine it's even worse: speech, press flesh, meeting with donor, calls with campaign staff, flight (where you hopefully can catch 20 winks), rinse repeat.

Her not knowing where she is is - I suspect - an occupational hazard of the last two weeks of a Presidential campaign.
    Several times I have woken up in hotel room not being clear which city I am in or what day of the week it is. And thats a fraction of the travel that rock bands and politicians have to endure. I'm not remotely surprised by the question
    I'm sure @SeanT has had similar experiences.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

About a week ago I said I thought it looked like Covid cases were plataueing.

Well fuck, that they are accelerating off to the moon again.

Wonder if anyone is posting "but if we are like France then it will be a flat linear increase" tweets

They did jump a week ago but seem to have steadied at the higher level.

What happens next we don't know.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Diolch.

He's a bully, I am afraid that is beyond dispute with the way he's spoken to me and other users in recent times.
    Big_G certainly did vote Remain. I think Big_G does get teased a lot.

And I am sure you have received some flak too.

It is only an internet forum, packed with eccentrics, cranks & lunaticks, so I wouldn't bother getting too upset about anything posted.

In my experience, if there is serious bullying, the mods do intervene quickly.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

You are out of order

You need help

You're a liar.

And you're a bully.

End of story.

You've never apologised for bullying me or bullying others, I am afraid this moral high ground argument is pathetic.
    But true

You are unique in calling me a liar and even now refuse to accept I did not lie on either occasion

• Options

Diolch.

Big_G certainly did vote Remain. I think Big_G does get teased a lot.

And I am sure you have received some flak too.

It is only an internet forum, packed with eccentrics, cranks & lunaticks, so I wouldn't bother getting too upset about anything posted.

In my experience, if there is serious bullying, the mods do intervene quickly.
    You're entitled to your view of course and thanks for sharing it but I am afraid I don't agree.

Teasing and flak are completely different to a pattern of bullying which this user is guilty of. I have let it go unchallenged for far too long but no more. I am calling it out.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

You are out of order

You need help

You're a liar.

And you're a bully.

End of story.

But true

You are unique in calling me a liar and even now refuse to accept I did not lie on either occasion

You won't receive any apology from me - you're a bully and a coward. End of story, if you don't want to engage with me any longer, then just stop replying. As I said I will only talk to you on the matter of your bullying of me and others, nothing else.
  • Options
    I've said all I need to say on the matter at hand - and it's good to have got that off my chest.
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks now Labour again voter BigG on your views on the fate of Boris
    Do not put words into my mouth

Boris is not the person for todays crisis and more and more conservatives are concluding the same
    Sadly a lot of Tory members missed that blatantly obvious flaw when they voted for him.

I want him to be replaced for several reasons but as the union is important to my wife and I his toxicity in Scotland makes it more and more likely sadly
    Sorry, can't agree with you there.

There was never a time when BoJo was the right answer.

Not when he was a hopeless Foreign Secretary.
    Not when he became the figurehead for the anti-TMay lobby.
    Not when he lobotomised the Cabinet.
    Not when he withdrew the whip from Clarke, Soames et al in an act that combined petulance and hypocrisy.
    Not when he shut down Parliament.
    Not when he signed up for a border in the Irish Sea.

He brought stability to the government, but that was largely because he had been a major source of the instability.

Covid has made the issues starker, but something like this was always likely to play out.
    I'm curious as to how Boris 'lobotomised' the cabinet.

Now there have been plenty of claims that Boris has got rid of the 'talent'.

Always without saying who this 'talent' was.

In reality its been a long time since British governments were filled with talent.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

You are out of order

You need help

You're a liar.

And you're a bully.

End of story.

Give it a rest...every day you now come on and say everybody been nasty to you and there is widespread double standards, when nothing of the sort occurs.

Anybody who has been a regular on this board over the years has seen Big G been consistently polite and good natured.

Come on man....as somebody once, well 1000 time said.
  • Options
    I watched the new Borat film yesterday, I must say it pales compared to the original.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    edited October 2020

Give over, CHB - BigG is simply a Tory loyalist who has periodic qualms. Nothing wrong with that - it's a mirror image of me, for a start. Anyway, PB is boring when we start giving opinions about each other when virtually none of us have actually met. Who knows what we're really like?!

Thanks to AndyJS for the tip about the new Scandi-series on BBC4, DNAS - have just caught up with last week's on iPlayer, seems promising. Nostalgic for me - I used to live in a tower block similar to the ones shown there, and I've been on the ferry where the kid is lost. I see Charlotte Rampling is in the series too.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1320100631978409984

Poor BoJo, seems like he's on the way out.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

HYUFD said:

Tory almost-landslide to out of Government, quite a way to go

Electoral Calculus gives Tories 286, Labour 277 and LDs 6 on the new Opinium numbers so even despite falling behind on voteshare the Tories would still be largest party on seats and Starmer would need both the SNP and LDs to form a government

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=38&LAB=40&LIB=6&Brexit=2&Green=5&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=20&SCOTLAB=18.4&SCOTLIB=5.5&SCOTBrexit=1.1&SCOTGreen=1.1&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=52.6&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019
    Sounds like a great Government, finally get PR and a government over 50% voted for
    I hope not - I have no wish at all to see PR. Yes to AV though.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

On topic, thanks Barnesian, I'll try and pop in, in between editing PB.

Yes, thanks to Barnesian.

Zoom isn't quite anonymous enough for me (although I'd be happy to meet up in person at a pub) but I hope everyone enjoys it.
    Zoom could be fairly anonymous if you use an email account / username that aren't obviously related to you and join with video off.

As for me, I dragged my girlfriend along with me to the overnight session in the pub in London for the 2015 election (somehow she survived the experience and is my wife now) and I will definitely be joining the zoom session. Trump winning again would be a disaster, and also my biggest betting loss (orbiggest win if he loses) so I'll be keen to react if needed on the night. But I doubt my wife will bother this time.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'm sure @SeanT has had similar experiences.
    SeanT doesn't know who he is sometimes let alone where he is.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Andy_JS said:

I remember it being coal black when I started nursery for sure.
    Dark and bitterly cold.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Wonder if anyone is posting "but if we are like France then it will be a flat linear increase" tweets

Covid deaths and people in hospital with Covid are currently doubling every 14 days. That is a slowing down from the doubling every 7 days it was at the end of September. But it is still a hell of a rate of growth and the numbers are now far higher than at the end of September.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
  • Options

I watched the new Borat film yesterday, I must say it pales compared to the original.

Naught but Uzbekistani propaganda from CHB!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1320119457793138688

Oh great, we're back onto false hope stories again, what a totally irresponsible press we have
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed, but it is precisely the kind of gaffe that plays right into Trump's message.
    Gaffes - pussygate, bigoted woman, etc. - very rarely move many votes.
    "Deplorables" probably did. It at least motivated people to vote.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Dark and bitterly cold.
    I remember at primary school being given armbands because it was dark in the morning.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Electoral Calculus gives Tories 286, Labour 277 and LDs 6 on the new Opinium numbers so even despite falling behind on voteshare the Tories would still be largest party on seats and Starmer would need both the SNP and LDs to form a government

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=38&LAB=40&LIB=6&Brexit=2&Green=5&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=20&SCOTLAB=18.4&SCOTLIB=5.5&SCOTBrexit=1.1&SCOTGreen=1.1&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=52.6&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019
    Sounds like a great Government, finally get PR and a government over 50% voted for
    Why do you not support PR?
  • Options

Oh great, we're back onto false hope stories again, what a totally irresponsible press we have

That does seem to be consistent with other noises we've had recently on the vaccine roll-out, that it could be sooner rather than later. We'll find out soon enough!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    If he loses...if...expect a string of articles on the topic of projection.
  • Options

That is a nothing burger story...memo basically be ready to do x, make plans for y, which is exactly what the vaccine delivery group were set up to coordinate.
  • Options
    Seems extremely unlikely, especially given ongoing court cases on the matter.
  • Options
    RobD said:

That does seem to be consistent with other noises we've had recently on the vaccine roll-out, that it could be sooner rather than later. We'll find out soon enough!
    I'm afraid I haven't seen any other noises beyond ones like these which seem lacking in any real substance. I thought it was widely accepted we weren't going to get anything this side of Christmas now?
  • Options
    Reports from London, Zone 3 was fairly busy today, lots of people around despite the poor-ish weather.
  • Options
    Sounds interesting hope everyone who takes part has fun.

PB is always the place to be on election night. Hope that doesn't shift to be on the zoom or miss out. But it does sound interesting.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

RobD said:

I'm afraid I haven't seen any other noises beyond ones like these which seem lacking in any real substance. I thought it was widely accepted we weren't going to get anything this side of Christmas now?
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/sir-patrick-vallance-coronavirus-vaccine-19150075
  • Options
    RobD said:

I wouldn't get too excited.

Pfizer is the only one talking about having the results ready in November. Then there will be all the hoops to jump through.

Oxford say they won't have enough people in trial, enough infections etc until the end of the year.

Moderna are nowhere near.
  • Options
    Sennedd petition nearing 40,000 signatures (39,813)

The largest petition ever received by the Senedd was 40,045

• Options

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Dark and bitterly cold.
    I remember at primary school being given armbands because it was dark in the morning.
    Walking to school in the dark. Gloomy playtimes. Walking home in the dark. Such was winter in the Pennines. As for the proper growing up in the 80s experience. From Twitter:

I had a Raleigh Burner. Kid up the street had a SUPER Burner. With GOLD padded shit. I felt so inadequate. Until this kid moved in. With a Grifter. Which had GEARS. I think he was God or something
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1320100631978409984

Poor BoJo, seems like he's on the way out.

Remember he has 4D Dom and cornered rat Williamson on his side. I think this school meal stuff is a ploy by Johnson to set up Sunak as the wicked Chancellor who wants the kiddies to starve (especially in the North East).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Few films are as funny as the first Borat, but the second does come close at times. Maria Bakalova is a great foil.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Covid deaths and people in hospital with Covid are currently doubling every 14 days. That is a slowing down from the doubling every 7 days it was at the end of September. But it is still a hell of a rate of growth and the numbers are now far higher than at the end of September.
    Its definitely concerning.

Though I'm curious as to whether criteria for hospital admission has been eased compared to the spring.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pfizer is the only one talking about having the results ready in November. Then there will be all the hoops to jump through.

Oxford say they won't have enough people in trial, enough infections etc until the end of the year.

I take it you are a glass half empty kinda guy? :)

Agreed that widespread vaccination of us plebs isn't going to be happening before the spring.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Meanwhile west of Offa’s duke Drakeford has tweeted a “review of how the weekend has gone” is in the offing.

Well who’d have thunk it? The fact he’s tweeting on a Saturday night and has had his arse flamed relentlessly all day by an incandescent Welsh public might just have penetrated the inner recesses of the Welsh Govts’s hive mind.

White weasel like creatures going backwards rapidly incoming methinks.

• Options
    We have tended to mirror France, with a lag. The Government needs to get a grip on this now - but I fear yet again they will do nothing and in three weeks we'll be in another hole.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,447

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed, but it is precisely the kind of gaffe that plays right into Trump's message.
    What they do have a way of doing, is diverting candidates for hours or even days from their own campaign strategy & message.

Note that the President is a master at this - against himself.
    There was some good stuff in the final season of the West Wing about candidates (and their staff) running ridiculous schedules in the last couple of weeks.

Including using the sunrise effect, time zones and jet aircraft to stretch the campaigning day to the point of insanity.....
  • Options

PB is always the place to be on election night. Hope that doesn't shift to be on the zoom or miss out. But it does sound interesting.

Was at a corporate dinner on election night 2017. Had various people asking me for updates. Which I got from PB. "Holy shit" etc from the exit poll.
  • Options
    If a vaccine is just around the corner, I am going to be well pissed on the money I have just spent on new home gym kit!

Had to wait 3 months for a particular bit of kit, the company making it must be raking it in.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I do indeed - rather dark going to school in December and January!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,849
    Trump really is despicable . Anyone voting for him is equally despicable and beneath contempt .
  • Options

That is a nothing burger story...memo basically be ready to do x, make plans for y, which is exactly what the vaccine delivery group were set up to coordinate.
    Yes - one of the problems of this kind of reporting is that preparations for X are taken as meaning that you are *planning* on X happening.

I bet there is a whole stack of reports on the subject of "If a vaccine never arrives"....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

What they do have a way of doing, is diverting candidates for hours or even days from their own campaign strategy & message.

Note that the President is a master at this - against himself.
    There was some good stuff in the final season of the West Wing about candidates (and their staff) running ridiculous schedules in the last couple of weeks.

Including using the sunrise effect, time zones and jet aircraft to stretch the campaigning day to the point of insanity.....
    Remember that any given day on Planet Earth lasts 48 hours - it takes 24 hours to travel from one side of the international date line to the other. At which point it then lasts for 24 hours...
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Trump really is despicable . Anyone voting for him is equally despicable and beneath contempt .
    Deplorable, in fact?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I take it you are a glass half empty kinda guy? :)

Agreed that widespread vaccination of us plebs isn't going to be happening before the spring.
    I am normally, but just being realistic and planning for not getting mine until at the least the summer...otherwise would anybody like to buy several grand of basically new gym kit ;-)
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Why do you not support PR?
    Far too much power to smaller parties and we end up with Governments which nobody voted for - eg 2010.
  • Options

PB will be running in parallel. It might be easier to converse on PB. Particularly if the mute button has to be engaged!
  • Options
    In the world I live in nobody is talking about free school meals.

Perhaps because they're capable parents.
  • Options

Yes - one of the problems of this kind of reporting is that preparations for X are taken as meaning that you are *planning* on X happening.

I bet there is a whole stack of reports on the subject of "If a vaccine never arrives"....
    It would be a bigger news / scandal if there were no memos of this nature, as that really would mean absolutely no prospect of one and / or the government had done no planning and therefore even if one comes along people won't be able to get it for many months.
  • Options

or you live in a rich area
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Meanwhile west of Offa’s duke Drakeford has tweeted a “review of how the weekend has gone” is in the offing.

Well who’d have thunk it? The fact he’s tweeting on a Saturday night and has had his arse flamed relentlessly all day by an incandescent Welsh public might just have penetrated the inner recesses of the Welsh Govts’s hive mind.

Offa's duke is one of the Marcher Lords, I take it.
  • Options

Lovely comment.
  • Options

If a vaccine is just around the corner, I am going to be well pissed on the money I have just spent on new home gym kit!

Had to wait 3 months for a particular bit of kit, the company making it must be raking it in.

As my Gym use is predominantly (a) running and (b) cycling I won't bother with one when I move north of the border. Will just run. And ride. In a fleecey top. Have considered spending £lots on gym equipment for my man cave. But surely that will be a distraction from a drum kit and a classic Mini.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't know - how much is simply us wanting a narrative?

But I agree: that was sufficiently serious (unlike 'which city am I in?')
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Nationally, voters have cast 41% of the total votes counted in the 2016 general election.
  • Options
    But in the world I live in there are quite a few, and always positive, about Maureen from Barnsley.

I have my doubts about her.

As she's already had covid she has a vested interest in being against restrictions.

She is right about how its the young who are suffering and will continue to suffer.
  • Options

We have tended to mirror France, with a lag. The Government needs to get a grip on this now - but I fear yet again they will do nothing and in three weeks we'll be in another hole.

How’s old Drakeford going then? He has the power to be a shining example. If whatever you want.

Reality - He’s done bugger all different for months till Friday when he had a total brain fart and is currently just about public enemy no 1 here.
  • Options

Lovely comment.
    I think that the focus on the bottom and top 5% (or whatever percentage) was probably a factor in the election result. People are generally selfish, and want to hear about what you can do for them, not how miserable it is for others.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,648
    edited October 2020

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1320077304555503616?s=19

Make no mistake. The Republican justices here are voting for the end of Federalism

The law is pretty clear on this, I thought: if it's postmarked on or before election day, it's counted.
    Not in Michigan and Wisconsin with the rulings, and this threatens to be overturned in PA now too.
    The Justices may have to decide whether they want to continue living in a democracy or in Trump's monarchic empire.
    Well four of them have already decided; this will be the tie breaker.

Will Barrett really make it blatantly clear, just days after being seated, and with a decades long career ahead of her, just how she is bought and paid for ? And merely in oder to throw Trump a deeply uncertain Hail Mary pass ?
    I have my doubts.

Against that, she will be the third sitting Supreme Court Justice* to have worked the Bush v Gore case for the Republicans. An astonishing statistic if you’re naive enough to believe in the non partisan nature of the present court.
    They might just decide the gangs’s back together, so let’s get down to business.

* Characteristically, Barrett was ‘unable to recall’ any of the details of the case:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/17/politics/bush-v-gore-barrett-kavanaugh-roberts-supreme-court/index.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

Lovely comment.
    I think that the focus on the bottom and top 5% (or whatever percentage) was probably a factor in the election result. People are generally selfish, and want to hear about what you can do for them, not how miserable it is for others.
    That "5%" varies greatly around the nation

I am pretty sure very few on this forum ever interact with that "5%"
  • Options
    welshowl said:

How’s old Drakeford going then? He has the power to be a shining example. If whatever you want.

Reality - He’s done bugger all different for months till Friday when he had a total brain fart and is currently just about public enemy no 1 here.
    Drakeford has done something decisive, whether you agree with it or not the reality is that the only thing that got cases down in the UK was a full lockdown.

BoJo is doing nothing - and cases are still going on. He needs to implement a lockdown to stop us turning into France.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Few films are as funny as the first Borat, but the second does come close at times. Maria Bakalova is a great foil.
    Borat is at least as racist as 'The Birth of the Nation'.

Borat is like a Black-and-White Ministrel. When a White guy paints his face black and plays the part of a n outrageous buffoon, it is obviously racism. That is Borat.

Of course, you can make fun of muslim Kazakhs now, just as you could make fun of Blacks in 1915.

But, Baron Cohen will go the way of D W Griffiths or George Henry Elliot.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

welshowl said:

Well lord fat finger and all that 🙄
  • Options

RobD said:

Lovely comment.
    That "5%" varies greatly around the nation

I am pretty sure very few on this forum ever interact with that "5%"
    I think that's right, and we are of course talking about one person's anecdote.
  • Options

Lovely comment.
    It is and that's what worries you.

The responsible will not want to pay extra taxes to subsidise the feckless.

Its what Blair knew but Labour have since forgot.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think that the thing about "basket of deplorables" is that it confirmed that Clinton thought what Trump supporters thought she thought. "We knew it!" So it cut through, even though in the grand scheme of things it wasn't particularly rude or suprising.
  • Options
    I laugh at Holocaust jokes. Hy favourites were told to me by a Rabbi when I was young... This is fit for that line of thinking....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/child-abuse-inquiry-scared-of-racist-tag-nh2zcctwq

Summary for the paywall - The big national enquiry into child abuse, which has covered the Catholic Church, Lord Janner etc carefully avoided gathering evidence on grooming gangs.

By holding public hearings and accepting evidence on grooming gangs in places where they *hadn't happened*. They avoided Rotherham, Rochdale, Oxford, Telford etc...

• Options

Foxy said:

Borat is like a Black-and-White Ministrel. When a White guy paints his face black and plays the part of a n outrageous buffoon, it is obviously racism. That is Borat.

Of course, you can make fun of muslim Kazakhs now, just as you could make fun of Blacks in 1915.

His targets are just so embarrassingly easy. The scene with the pro lifer is just one long cringe - and it is Cohen one's embarrassed for.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Then you have exactly missed the point of Borat. He is using peoples bigoted views of what a man in a suit from a Central Asian republic are like as a mirror.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Foxy said:

There are many dodgy aspects to Borat as a film, but humour comes from transgression and confounding. The film is exquisitely embarrassing, which is why it is funny.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

IshmaelZ said:

welshowl said:

Well lord fat finger and all that 🙄
    I was thinking it was autocorrect detecting a LGBT slur.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

I hope you have signed the Senedd petition. It is only at 40,396. Largest ever petition in history of the Senedd.

And that's only after a day.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, I'm not sure it shifted any votes but it definitely made people more determined to vote for Trump.
This discussion has been closed.