Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A mountain to climb – Labour’s challenge ahead of the 2021 Scottish Parliament elections – political

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    isam said:

When people die of flu, is it the person they caught it off that killed them?

You still think it's like the flu, don't you?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

I will be very pleasantly surprised if a mixture of tiers 1, 2 and 3 is sufficient to bring this under control, but that does look possible today. Here's hoping tomorrow doesn't shatter this optimism.

The effects of the Tier system will show up about 2 weeks after they are implemented - in terms of cases. Any change in cases today will have other causes.
  • Options
    Have posted that image on a couple of work whatsapp groups. My younger friends asked who that was.

Kids these days
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It looks to be a rather nasty plague to me.

The ship named 'Economic Catastrophe' is already sailing and the wind is behind it.

Rocks and hard places spring to mind. It is bad if you look to the left or right.
    This. The plague is real enough, and so are long term effects from it. The incoming economic devastation is very real too.
    These are surely the effects of the the brutal propaganda the government has pumped into people

If you tell people a plague is serious, the will feel 'effects' from it. Of course they will. How could it be otherwise?
    Nothing to do with the Gov't, personal anecdote from people I know that have had it.
    It is undoubtedly very serious and can be so for anyone that gets it. The issue is the policy response to it. Calling it a "plague" is not helping, nor will it help when, finally, the government does want us to get back to Pret.
    That's a bit unfair, @Contrarian set the style guide for the discussion !
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The ship named 'Economic Catastrophe' is already sailing and the wind is behind it.

Rocks and hard places spring to mind. It is bad if you look to the left or right.
    This. The plague is real enough, and so are long term effects from it. The incoming economic devastation is very real too.
    These are surely the effects of the the brutal propaganda the government has pumped into people

If you tell people a plague is serious, the will feel 'effects' from it. Of course they will. How could it be otherwise?
    Nothing to do with the Gov't, personal anecdote from people I know that have had it.
    And with respect there are plenty of people who will tell you there is something wrong with them physically when their main problem is mental.

Not every case of course, but consider how this government has frightened people with their disgusting propaganda.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Have posted that image on a couple of work whatsapp groups. My younger friends asked who that was.

Kids these days
    I don’t know who it is, to be honest.
  • Options

I will be very pleasantly surprised if a mixture of tiers 1, 2 and 3 is sufficient to bring this under control, but that does look possible today. Here's hoping tomorrow doesn't shatter this optimism.

The effects of the Tier system will show up about 2 weeks after they are implemented - in terms of cases. Any change in cases today will have other causes.
    Tier 2 has been in place in the North East for a month.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    FF43 said:

isam said:
    I know I am a bore on this, but why the hell aren't a team from Dept of Health and SAGE in Sweden now asking for all the detail on how they are managing this? Because we aren't.
    Why Sweden? That's a nice bit of cherry-picking by isam, but overall Sweden has done quite badly to date, with a high number of deaths per million. We'd do better looking at Norway, or Greece, or Australia, or Germany, or Japan, or Taiwan, or any number of other places for that matter.
    Sweden with (when I last looked) the twelfth worst fatality rate in the world isn't an obvious role model for the UK (sixth worst at the time), when you have a couple of hundred other countries to choose from.

I don't think many countries have done everything right, and certainly not Sweden. I think they made the right decision on keeping universities closed. Also their furlough scheme was/is more sustainable than ours (but not necessarily better than Germany etc). They made the same mistake as us on care homes. I also think they made a mistake not locking down when it became apparent the epidemic was going out of control. Ultimately, a lot of people died in Sweden who would still be alive with better virus management, as is the case here.

I am going to make a call out for Rwanda's approach to the epidemic. Genuinely impressive for a not at all wealthy country, as evidenced by a very low death rate.

Yes, what Rwanda has achieved on a broad range of fronts is worthy of admiration, tempered only by the lack of political freedom they have imposed to get much of it done.

I was out there at the time they had decreed that, as from the start of the new school year, all lessons would be in English rather than the previous French. Which caused some predictable challenges and generated a few funny stories, but was driven through with their government's characteristic determination.

Rwanda is the original political dilemma of the benign dictatorship, which may be the best governmental system of all, save for the problem of ensuring political succession to another benign dictator.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105

An aerial photo of one place where the government is getting rid of all that EU red tape:

https://twitter.com/Jim_Cornelius/status/1316734167049265152

What a fucking depressing sight. Millions of pounds of our money poured down the drain to build it, then billions of pounds of our money in accumulated time wasted in pointless red tape. Not to mention concreting over the garden of England.
  • Options

An aerial photo of one place where the government is getting rid of all that EU red tape:

Totally mad!
    Boris must have his fingers crossed people will blame Covid not Brexit.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

It is like the flu. It is not the flu but it is like the flu.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

Specimen day data has updated, it still looks like we're in a gradual levelling off.

It was the almighty forensic ones threat to lock us up via a Circuit Break that scared the disease back into it's box

If Corbyn or Boris had suggested it, Covid would have just laughed
    Indeed. The London decision looks very short sighted, the doubling period is still getting longer. The government is going to destroy the London economy to make it look like they aren't targeting the north. Fucking bullshit.
    Did we not lockdown the whole country to save London in March?
    We locked down the whole country in March to "save" the whole country.
    Indeed. What he meant to say was that we unlocked the whole country to save London ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Yes, just had a quick look at PCR vs positive rate by specimen date, it doesn't look particularly alarming.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,963

And GM for about 2.
    Keep saying it. Saves me from having to do it.
  • Options
    Italy goes on quarantine list from 4.00am on Sunday
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,983
    isam said:
    Sweden has done better - although it is worth noting that their approach has become more restrictive, rather than less.

It's also worth noting that the lower incidence in Sweden in the Autumn is probably also a little affected by timings: Danish schools went back on 12 August, while Sweden was the 19th. Universities also opened in late August in Denmark, against early September for Sweden. So, you probably want to lag the results by a week to see true comparisons.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

And with respect there are plenty of people who will tell you there is something wrong with them physically when their main problem is mental.

Not every case of course, but consider how this government has frightened people with their disgusting propaganda.
    The only thing that's affected his mental health is the effect the virus has had on his running 6 months on with reduced lung capacity and so forth.

Anyway a second person in our running club has it now, hopefully she'll fare better.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited October 2020
    17.4m votes now cast - 12.5% of vote in 2016.

In reality, the figure is probably much higher as many votes will still be being processed (and some will be in the actual post).

As an example until today Nebraska (small state - 5 ECVs) had reported zero votes. It has now just reported 217,000 - 25% of vote in 2016.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html
  • Options

And it shows in the case data. The rate of case growth has fallen, it may even be negative but we'll need to wait for tomorrow's data.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And it shows in the case data. The rate of case growth has fallen, it may even be negative but we'll need to wait for tomorrow's data.
    If that’s the case, that’s very good news indeed.
  • Options

Italy goes on quarantine list from 4.00am on Sunday

I impress myself with how deftly I planned my near four week European trip around the government's ever moving target!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231

The tier system is a simplification and continuation of the patchwork of local lockdown restrictions that existed before. I wouldn't expect a major inflection point from that itself, but possibly from the earlier changes.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

In reality, the figure is probably much higher as many votes will still be being processed (and some will be in the actual post).

As an example until today Nebraska (tiny state) had reported zero votes. It has now just reported 217,000 - 25% of vote in 2016.

I would imagine Covid is playing its part. It's increasing rapidly again in the US and if I were a voter there I wouldn't want to risk having to go out unnecessarily, especially if I have to stand in line for a while.
  • Options

Yes, this is now the local lockdown measures showing up in the parts of the country that have them and a slowing down of university infections IMO.
  • Options

Totally mad!
    Why is this needed? Either the EU are going to cave, in which case we do not need these, or we will Walk and go WTO, in which case we will not need these. Hurrah for England!

Yes yes I know, we can't make any changes at all from the status quo without the physical border infrastructure place (which it isn't), the customs and standards officials recruited and trained (they aren't), the computer system created, tested and integrated into haulier systems (it isn't).

Which is why we need these vast lorry parks. Because as I have been saying for ages, unless we utterly capitulate to the EU, on 1st January everything at the border grinds to a very rapid stop. Which the government know very well hence the need for moon-sized lorry parks like this. And those trucks packed for days in them won't be transporting our stuff abroad or importing their stuff to the UK. Which means we run out of stuff pretty bloody quickly.

"Not true" say the delusional and stupid. Really? So why are the government tarmacing over large chunks of Kent then...?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited October 2020
    Trump now outperforming the GOP candidates for Senate in Arizona and Iowa, Biden underperforming the Democratic candidate in Arizona and doing the same in Iowa
    https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1316759573710221317?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1316729220903641094?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1316728913662545921?s=20
  • Options

MikeL said:

As an example until today Nebraska (tiny state) had reported zero votes. It has now just reported 217,000 - 25% of vote in 2016.

I would imagine Covid is playing its part. It's increasing rapidly again in the US and if I were a voter there I wouldn't want to risk having to go out unnecessarily, especially if I have to stand in line for a while.
    People seem to have decided standing in a voting line is worth the risk to get rid of Trump.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Ed Davey's five-point plan:

- Fix Test, Trace and Isolate
    - Extend furlough & self-employed support to save jobs
    - Protect people living and working in care
    - Support children and young people
    - Establish a public inquiry into the handling of the crisis
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,925
    edited October 2020
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Ugh, smug italics... Worse than catching both!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

ME2 is now blue on 538. Iowa is the first red state, then Texas.

That makes their ECV prediction 347 for Biden. Sporting Index have the spread at 318/324.
    This brings 538s vastly sophisticated state modelling operation in line with applying universal swing at a national level.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,071
    edited October 2020

What a fucking depressing sight. Millions of pounds of our money poured down the drain to build it, then billions of pounds of our money in accumulated time wasted in pointless red tape. Not to mention concreting over the garden of England.
    Think of it as a Battle of Britain re-enactment project. Unfortunately the queuing HGVs full of rotting produce won't be The Few.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The only thing that's affected his mental health is the effect the virus has had on his running 6 months on with reduced lung capacity and so forth.

Anyway a second person in our running club has it now, hopefully she'll fare better.
    An uncle of by wife dies from COVID19. He wasn't especially old and quite fit. I think he must of forgotten or not been told it was all in his mind. He probably thought it was in his lungs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trump now outperforming the GOP candidate for Senate in Arizona, Biden underperforming the Democratic candidate

That’s not a surprise because McSally is very unpopular in Arizona. That’s a terrible poll for Trump and the GOP all in all.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And why is the latter point needed? Because care homes are receiving orders to intake pox-ridden residents back from hospitals. Again. The very same strategy that killed them en masse last time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

-How?
    -With what money?
    -How?
    -How?
    -Fair.

1/5, as bad as people who don't isolate.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Greenfield (D) 47% (+3)
    Ernst (R) 43% (+1)

Change from 30th September.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And why is the latter point needed? Because care homes are receiving orders to intake pox-ridden residents back from hospitals. Again. The very same strategy that killed them en masse last time.
    Nightingale care centres for convalescing 'too fit to be in hospital, still Covid+ve' care residents should have been established.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584
    MikeL said:

As an example until today Nebraska (small state - 5 ECVs) had reported zero votes. It has now just reported 217,000 - 25% of vote in 2016.

I think the numbers will be blowout.
    Voting intentions are as high (I think) as they've ever been recorded.

Democrat Senate candidates continue to raise scads of cash:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/521165-kelly-raised-387-million-in-third-quarter

And the anedcdata is, mostly, positive.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/10/15/letter-to-washington-from-phoenix-429433
    ...He shook his head. “There’s a lot of racism in Arizona, man. People have always been afraid of the government here. That’s why a lot of my Chicano friends never even bothered before,” Morales said. “But now, with Trump, it’s like they don’t give a shit anymore. I talk to all my Chicano friends, and they’re all registered, they’re all voting, they’re all voting against Trump. And the weird thing is, some of them even gave him credit for getting the economy going—which, I disagree with, but whatever—and it’s still not enough. They’re still voting his ass out.”...
  • Options
  • Options
    MikeL said:

With less than three weeks to go that's not actually that high. Some of the polls that have big Dem leads are predicated on enormous turnouts. 160/170m.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    IanB2 said:

Does he have any specific details on this? Specific targets that he could hold HMG to would be helpful, such as:
    - 100k tests results returned within 24 hours, 200k within 48 hours.
    - 80% of contacts of a positive case tested within 48 hours of positive test result.
    - 80% of people asked to isolate confirmed to be isolating.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

-How?
    -With what money?
    -How?
    -How?
    -Fair.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/covid-5-point-plan
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    HYUFD said:
    None of them. Bough we.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

People seem to have decided standing in a voting line is worth the risk to get rid of Trump.
    It evidently is.
    https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1316701926327812096
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    Johnson pulls another blinder:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1316772261605650432

How many days until the u-turn?
  • Options

MikeL said:

With less than three weeks to go that's not actually that high. Some of the polls that have big Dem leads are predicated on enormous turnouts. 160/170m.
    You can also get the same effect if GOP voters don't bother to turn out on the day.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

Totally mad!
    Why is this needed? Either the EU are going to cave, in which case we do not need these, or we will Walk and go WTO, in which case we will not need these. Hurrah for England!

Yes yes I know, we can't make any changes at all from the status quo without the physical border infrastructure place (which it isn't), the customs and standards officials recruited and trained (they aren't), the computer system created, tested and integrated into haulier systems (it isn't).

Which is why we need these vast lorry parks. Because as I have been saying for ages, unless we utterly capitulate to the EU, on 1st January everything at the border grinds to a very rapid stop. Which the government know very well hence the need for moon-sized lorry parks like this. And those trucks packed for days in them won't be transporting our stuff abroad or importing their stuff to the UK. Which means we run out of stuff pretty bloody quickly.

"Not true" say the delusional and stupid. Really? So why are the government tarmacing over large chunks of Kent then...?
    Brexit lorry success depends on UK firms stopping their export activity. Obviously government won't admit to that.

It's an equilibrium. If there are too many exports, lorries get stuck in one of these parks or are not allowed to proceed to Kent, they won't go at all. No-one will pay for that. You need to get exports down to a trickle and then you have a costly but manageable delay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It also doesn't work as a poll as you can't know how people interpret "BOW" (which is pronounced differently depending on context). Presumably the intention is "BOW" as in "bow and curtsy" (given second option) but it could be read as in "bow and arrow".
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

-How?
    -With what money?
    -How?
    -How?
    -Fair.

- Sack Dildo and create a taskforce led by people who know what the fuck they are doing
    - With the money you won't instead be spending collapsing the economy and dealing with broken communities for the rest of the decade
    - Stop sending pox patients from hospitals back to their care homes
    - Ensure their parents avoid the scenario of not being able to put shoes on their feet as warned by the ex commissioner
    - Learn the lessons from past mistakes to avoid repeating them again

Yes its a pandemic. Yes lots of it is very hard. But appointing your cronies to run test and trace and awarding vast PPE contracts to new companies set up by your mates and then bolloxing both up isn't hard, it should just be a "don't do that". The app that coding experts said wouldn't work that didn't work and they're still defending it. The cretinous adverts about "yes we will destroy our cultural heritage but hey you could get a job as a coder" (presumably fixing the app).

That stuff isn't very hard. Yet they fuck it up on a daily basis. And lie about it. And as they lie, people get ill. People lose their jobs. People die.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Nigelb said:

‘The Sleeping Giant Is Finally Awake’
    After decades of lackluster turnout, Hispanics could turn Arizona blue.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/10/15/letter-to-washington-from-phoenix-429433

Another cracking long read from Politico's Tim Alberta.
    A flavour:
    ...He shook his head. “There’s a lot of racism in Arizona, man. People have always been afraid of the government here. That’s why a lot of my Chicano friends never even bothered before,” Morales said. “But now, with Trump, it’s like they don’t give a shit anymore. I talk to all my Chicano friends, and they’re all registered, they’re all voting, they’re all voting against Trump. And the weird thing is, some of them even gave him credit for getting the economy going—which, I disagree with, but whatever—and it’s still not enough. They’re still voting his ass out.”...

If what I sense is about to happen does happen - the American people in very large numbers doing the above - it will be for me quite moving. It will be a great nation after a dreadful descent and loss of dignity saying, "No. Enough. We are better than this. We have some standards FFS."
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Totally mad!

Brexit lorry success depends on UK firms stopping their export activity. Obviously government won't admit to that.

It's an equilibrium. If there are too many exports, lorries get stuck in one of these parks or are not allowed to proceed to Kent, they won't go at all. No-one will pay for that. You need to get exports down to a trickle and then you have a costly but manageable delay.
    Of course "stop our exports" means "stop our imports" - its the same truck. Not that we will quickly run out of food, fuel, medicines etc as warned by the food, fuel and pharma industries - those people are clueless remoaners.
  • Options
    UK cases summary

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Just think of the refugee camps that won't need to spring up at the border now. They'll all be at Larne or Belfast.

Edit: I Mean the folk presently at Calais.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Nightingale care centres for convalescing 'too fit to be in hospital, still Covid+ve' care residents should have been established.
    Months ago.
  • Options

There won;t be one

This time there really is no money left.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    UK Hospitals

• Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    nichomar said:
    Visually looks quite weather driven to me, despite the scientific view that climate has no impact on covid spread.

Is there really no link or is that we do not have enough data to scientifically prove the climatic link to the required level of confidence?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

You can also get the same effect if GOP voters don't bother to turn out on the day.
    If the new Arizona and Iowa polls are correct while Biden's vote now largely correlates with the Democratic vote, Trump is going to get a few points more than the GOP vote in some swing states and there will still be some Trump Democrats or Trump don't normally bother to vote voters who will vote Trump but not vote GOP, certainly at Senate level
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:
    Visually looks quite weather driven to me, despite the scientific view that climate has no impact on covid spread.

Is there really no link or is that we do not have enough data to scientifically prove the climatic link to the required level of confidence?
    Weather driven based on people being driven inside maybe
  • Options

FF43 said:

Totally mad!

Of course "stop our exports" means "stop our imports" - its the same truck. Not that we will quickly run out of food, fuel, medicines etc as warned by the food, fuel and pharma industries - those people are clueless remoaners.
    My son lives in Portsmouth, we were discussing the New Year's Day forward gridlock anticipated by the City Council. You know, the one where the M27 and the M3 become lorry parks. And he's nowhere near Kent!
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

There won;t be one

Parents should feed their own children
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    Just think of the refugee camps that won't need to spring up at the border now. They'll all be at Larne or Belfast.

Edit: I Mean the folk presently at Calais.
    You can see the protests in NI - "Stop foreign violent religiously inspired maniacs taking the jobs of our native nutters. It's the only industry we have."
  • Options

There won;t be one

Not when there's booze and fags to buy.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

nichomar said:

Not sure how that follows given Italy and Greece have a lower rate than France, Poland and we do and the Nordic countries have lower rates too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

Not sure how that follows given Italy and Greece have a lower rate than France, Poland and we do and the Nordic countries have lower rates too
    The low rates now are largely in the southern Mediterranean which is similar weather to the north European summer when we all got to low rates. Norway, Finland and the Baltics are very low population density.
  • Options

There won;t be one

I wonder whether there should be a pilot program - state boarding schools. I rather suspect that quite a few parents would jump at the chance to off load their children.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

If the new Arizona and Iowa polls are correct while Biden's vote now largely correlates with the Democratic vote, Trump is going to get a few points more than the GOP vote in some swing states and there will still be some Trump Democrats or Trump don't normally bother to vote voters who will vote Trump but not vote GOP, certainly at Senate level
    That’s quite the extrapolation from one poll in one state with an unpopular GOP candidate.
  • Options

There won;t be one

Point one. Yes there will.

Point two. True, but in for a penny in for a pound. Malnourished and dead children is not a good look for GE2024.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, just had a quick look at PCR vs positive rate by specimen date, it doesn't look particularly alarming.

If you want alarming for percentage positives, look at this for South Dakota:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/south-dakota

They're also seeing a surge in hospitalisations (ICU capacity is apparently exhausted).

What will now happen is that - irrespective of what the Governor says - South Dakota will go into de facto lockdown. Stores will insist on masks. Bars and restaurants will empty.

And then cases will come down again...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

It evidently is.
    Lol. My old college sent me this year's matriculation photo today. In place of the fresh students arranged standing in rows, they are dotted about the college lawn all properly socially distanced, with the photo taken out of one of the first floor court windows. When they get old they'll have this as a reminder of what a strange year it has been.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

nichomar said:

Look at Sardinia and Corsica matching up with their parent countries...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

It evidently is.
    Lol. My old college sent me this year's matriculation photo today. In place of the fresh students arranged standing in rows, they are dotted about the college lawn all properly socially distanced, with the photo taken out of one of the first floor court windows. When they get old they'll have this as a reminder of what a strange year it has been.
    Or year 1 of the new normal.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Weather driven based on people being driven inside maybe
    Seems so. When I left northern Italy almost three weeks back, the streets and squares were all packed with people eating and drinking, and their virus stats put much of Europe to shame. Recently they've had a run of torrential rain (Nice in the south of France had a whole year's rain in just a single day recently) and I expect they're all inside the bars and restaurants now.
  • Options

There won;t be one

And what if they don’t?
  • Options

There won;t be one

I wonder whether there should be a pilot program - state boarding schools. I rather suspect that quite a few parents would jump at the chance to off load their children.
    My wife is involved with foster caring. It costs a fortune to foster children, sometimes in undesirable households. I made a suggestion that it would be cheaper to send the brightest most promising on burseries to Malvern College, Monmouth School, Marlborough and Clifton colleges etc. Maybe just 5% above current intake levels per school. The long term cost savings of the state not having to pay to look after damaged children throughout the course of their lives with benefits for them and their damaged offspring would be astronomical.

One of our friends was outraged, because she couldn't afford to send her children to these establishments so she didn't see why poor people should get it for free.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trump now outperforming the GOP candidates for Senate in Arizona and Iowa, Biden underperforming the Democratic candidate in Arizona and doing the same in Iowa

Kelly is a popular former astronaut married to a popular former Arizona politician (Gabrielle Giffords), running on a very moderate platform, against an unpopular incumbent who was rejected by the voters of Arizona two years ago.

Now, it may be that won't matter, and that whoever the Republicans put up in Arizona as a candidate would have lost... Nevertheless, McSally was a dreadful choice of candidate.

Interesting question: across the US, will Trump outperform or underperform Republican incumbents? (Bear in mind he underperformed by about 2% on average in 2016.)

A month ago, I assumed he'd do worse again. Now, I'm thinking he'll probably do better, largely on the back of half a dozen unpopular incumbents - McSally, McConnell, Ernst, Graham, etc
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

That’s quite the extrapolation from one poll in one state with an unpopular GOP candidate.
    2 polls as Trump's share was also 5% higher than the GOP candidate's in Iowa
  • Options

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

-How?
    -With what money?
    -How?
    -How?
    -Fair.

- Sack Dildo and create a taskforce led by people who know what the fuck they are doing
    - With the money you won't instead be spending collapsing the economy and dealing with broken communities for the rest of the decade
    - Stop sending pox patients from hospitals back to their care homes
    - Ensure their parents avoid the scenario of not being able to put shoes on their feet as warned by the ex commissioner
    - Learn the lessons from past mistakes to avoid repeating them again

Yes its a pandemic. Yes lots of it is very hard. But appointing your cronies to run test and trace and awarding vast PPE contracts to new companies set up by your mates and then bolloxing both up isn't hard, it should just be a "don't do that". The app that coding experts said wouldn't work that didn't work and they're still defending it. The cretinous adverts about "yes we will destroy our cultural heritage but hey you could get a job as a coder" (presumably fixing the app).

That stuff isn't very hard. Yet they fuck it up on a daily basis. And lie about it. And as they lie, people get ill. People lose their jobs. People die.
    And DECIDE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE and STICK TO IT FOR MORE THAN A FEW DAYS AT A TIME.

Rather than forever plucking one or two soldiers from the trenches here and sending them there, as if all the chopping and changing is going to achieve anything other than confirming to we troops that our generals DON'T HAVE A CLUE.
  • Options

There won;t be one

We have found the Magical Money Tree, although the economists have decided to keep the MMT but rename it Modern Monetary Theory.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

kinabalu said:

isam said:

The genie is out of the bottle, politicans have discovered the power to lock us all up, and cant resist using it

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1316715349220483072?s=20

By describing our Tier 2 Covid regime as "locking us all up" we create a problem for ourselves in describing something that locks us all up.
    OK lets call it what it is.

The very worst of all possible worlds.
    I try to make a point of agreeing with people I usually disagree with when they have made what I consider to be a very valid point (sort of like the rule in science and statistics to try to DISPROVE one’s favourite hypotheses and to look with suspicion on anything that smacks of wishful thinking).

I think it makes it more emphatic when it happens.

That’s why I’m posting a strong agreement with you here.

We’re looking at something that will be very costly economically to businesses with minimal or no support offered, and with questionable or minimal impact on the viral spread.

It’s bloody short-sighted (or simply blind) of the Government to do this without providing appropriate support.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Totally mad!

Can't believe we're even arguing about this crap.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Deputy leader of Manchester actually saying the people will not comply with these restrictions

Encouraging law breaking is a disgrace

It has descending into tribal politics now. Dan Jarvis was the same yesterday when interviewed, government restrictions bad, terrible awful, will kill businesses, Starmer plan, mhhhh yes well, government restrictions bad.
    Is it tribal or have Sir Graham Brady and William Wragg joined the Labour party?

Sir Graham Brady, chairman of the influential backbench 1922 Committee and MP for Altrincham and Sale West, told the PA news agency: “The case has not been made for Greater Manchester to move into a Tier 3 ‘lockdown’.

“There is widespread concern amongst Members of Parliament, council leaders and the Mayor of Greater Manchester, all resisting the suggestion that Tier 3 should be introduced.”

Hazel Grove’s William Wragg said: “I have news from Greater Manchester where the impossible has been achieved.

“All of the Members of Parliament, the leaders of the councils and indeed the mayor, surprisingly, are in agreement with one another, the meeting we had earlier today was entirely pointless.

“I may as well have talked to a wall, quite frankly.”
    Because Burnham does not like local lockdown he wants to damage the parts of the country where covid is a lesser threat
    Sorry but that's ridiculous. Burnham represents his own area he doesn't represent the whole country.

A national lockdown, or a properly funded local one, would be best for his reason. He's right to call for it. If the rest of the country doesn't want a national lockdown then the logical decision is to pay properly for a localised one. Not try to get one on the cheap.
    Nor indeed to attempt to have the Mayor "own it'.
    If HMG wants a Tier 3 in GM then they will have to impose it.
    I'm amazed that they haven't compromised on the 80% furlough. Burnham called for that last week and he was right to do so, on Monday they could have compromised, Burnham and the other northern leaders could have claimed that as a victory earlier this week and everyone in the region could agree to move forward in Tier 3.

Considering the cost differential would be in the millions not the billions unlike most things Covid-related it seems an absolute no brainer.

It is absolutely immoral to tell people they're not allowed to work for a living and you're going to leave them out of pocket as a result - and you'll fine them if you find them working.
    2/3 of minimum wage just is not acceptable.
    Amazingly HMG appears to have achieved consensus with all the GM politicians.
    They're all against them.
    Across all parties indeed. It is just not OK by any stretch of the imaginaton.

Just goes to show again though I do not always back the government as I often get falsely accused of, let the record show I find this 66% suggestion insulting and am definitely calling for a u-turn.
  • Options

There won;t be one

State boarding schools are already a thing;

https://www.sbsa.org.uk/find_school.php

Slightly odd niche, because boarding is expensive, and it wouldn't help anyone to overload those schools with high social needs. I don't know how much use is made of them for social care.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Kelly is a popular former astronaut married to a popular former Arizona politician (Gabrielle Giffords), running on a very moderate platform, against an unpopular incumbent who was rejected by the voters of Arizona two years ago.

Now, it may be that won't matter, and that whoever the Republicans put up in Arizona as a candidate would have lost... Nevertheless, McSally was a dreadful choice of candidate.

Interesting question: across the US, will Trump outperform or underperform Republican incumbents? (Bear in mind he underperformed by about 2% on average in 2016.)

A month ago, I assumed he'd do worse again. Now, I'm thinking he'll probably do better, largely on the back of half a dozen unpopular incumbents - McSally, McConnell, Ernst, Graham, etc
    Trump outperformed GOP Senate candidates in 2016 too, then the GOP got 42% in the Senate vote overall to the 46% Trump got

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_Senate_elections
  • Options

There won;t be one

My wife is involved with foster caring. It costs a fortune to foster children, sometimes in undesirable households. I made a suggestion that it would be cheaper to send the brightest most promising on burseries to Malvern College, Monmouth School, Marlborough and Clifton colleges etc. Maybe just 5% above current intake levels per school. The long term cost savings of the state not having to pay to look after damaged children throughout the course of their lives with benefits for them and their damaged offspring would be astronomical.

One of our friends was outraged, because she couldn't afford to send her children to these establishments so she didn't see why poor people should get it for free.
    The progressive lot hated the Assisted Places scheme and got it binned - the complaint was that it was being used by middle class people. But really it was the one-size-must-fit-all religion that was being offended.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited October 2020
    Gary Neville should lead the re-structuring of football, talks a lot of sense about the industry, and his links from bankrupt Bury to Salford to Man Utd to the PFA give a great overview of all the stakeholders. Man Utd may not be producing a good team but with Neville and Rashford are leading the way in producing football-politicos.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

There won;t be one

The progressive lot hated the Assisted Places scheme and got it binned - the complaint was that it was being used by middle class people. But really it was the one-size-must-fit-all religion that was being offended.
    Blair and cronies, that is.

This discussion has been closed.