Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This Daily Express WH2020 “poll” is not what it seems – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    edited October 2020

I am Keir Starmer and I claim my £100

Nah. You’re a gambler. He’s been hanging back waiting to see which way the land lies before taking a position.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Latest 538 forecast: Biden 87%, Trump 13%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

Still only 6/1 against in betting terms. Backed plenty of six to one winners in my time - about every seven goes on average. :)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

The arguing over closing for 2 weeks, while we continue to import COVID is like trying to stick a finger in one hole of bucket of a holey bucket, while the hosepipe continue to fill it.

Just wait until the ski slopes are open...
    Its madness....Boris should have said weeks ago, there will be no foreign holidays for the 6 months. Don't even think about booking Dubai for Christmas or Morzine in February.

And still not airport testing or proper quarantine. These are real actionable policies that would effect the new cases being imported.
    I've always been angry about the open unmonitored airports situation during Covid but I am now beginning to become furious about it. Nothing about the British attitude to airports makes any sense whatsoever.
    Yes, that as well.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Alistair said:

Hancock made the point that we have not achieved herd immunity for a number of other diseases, including measles and flu.

Thing is we never ' locked down' for them....We carried on.

Measles? You sure about that?
    I think he said measles. He definitely said AIDS and flu.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited October 2020

In brute political terms Starmer can't really lose with this call. If lots of deaths materialise, he'll be able to say that he warned the government and they did nothing, with appalling consequences. If we muddle through OK without the 'circuit breaker', no-one will remember that he called for it.

I don't think it's good that the major opposition party should attack governments on core policy in national crisis, which should be consensus. Fine to challenge on the detail. Truth is, Johnson is weak. He probably knows he should do as Starmer sets out and as other prime ministers of different political persuasions would have done in similar circumstances. Last night he was clearly in his comfort zone scoring points off Starmer. Much easier than facing down opposition in his own party.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Quite glad Sir Keir has come out with that. I think I have a 100% record of disagreeing with everything he has said and done since becoming Labour leader, and I am happy for it to stay that way
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    And what's her plan? Other than whinging from her comfortable lodgings.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited October 2020
    When there is high enough unemployment to ensure a Labour government with him as PM?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

The arguing over closing for 2 weeks, while we continue to import COVID is like trying to stick a finger in one hole of bucket of a holey bucket, while the hosepipe continue to fill it.

Sure I read somewhere that skiers are the absolute worst for covid unsafe practices.
    It's hard to social distance from them in the street. They keep zig-zagging wildly.
    At least it's easy to avoid the snowboarders as they just sit on their a**ses on the slopes all day.

:smile:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020
    Its also politically savvy from Starmer in the fact with a few exceptions the media are very pro lockdown harder with a vengeance, as it doesn't really effect them.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    edited October 2020
    Starmer is proposing to close all our local businesses just as they are getting back on their feet

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Hancock made the point that we have not achieved herd immunity for a number of other diseases, including measles and flu.

Thing is we never ' locked down' for them....We carried on.

Measles? You sure about that?
    I think he said measles. He definitely said AIDS and flu.
    We have a vaccine for measles and rely on herd immunity to protect the few that cannot have the vaccine.

Indeed Hancock was considering legislation to make having the vaccine compulsory for children who are attending school.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The way the media were hyping this Starmer announcement up, it was like he was going to call for something truly radical. Instead he is clearly just going to attack the government and say we should follow SAGE.

No he's calling for a two week circuit breaker lockdown.
    That's what I mean. SAGE proposed a 2 week circuit breaker, he is going to say we should do that. I presume he will also attack the government for sending kids back to uni, etc.

However, personally I am of the opinion that it is pie in the sky if you think 2 week lockdown will solve the problem, it just bumps it down the road a little bit. It might sound good, hey guys just just do another 2 weeks lockdown and everything will be better, but it won't be, in reality we would need to go again until after Christmas.
    Every bump down the road ends up with us understanding the virus better (we now know about outdoor transmission being harder (albeit not impossible) and mask helping (and even possibly reducing viral loads for those who do get sick)), getting better treatments (survival rates are far higher), buying time to actually focus on fast ubiquitous tests to focus on high-dispersal events, and getting closer to a vaccine.

And, yes, there will be a vaccine. Ten in Phase 3; usually an 85% chance if your vaccine gets that far.
    Andy, I think we have enough understanding now in how to break the transmission chain. I don't see what about 2-6 week lockdown will help us learn that we don't already know. The key is to get people who test positive to isolate properly, find everyone they've spent time with and get them to take a test and isolate them properly if they test positive as well. We already know these things and we can start doing this tomorrow, more time in lockdown, another million lost jobs and £100bn in borrowing won't teach us anything more that we don't know.
    They is no chance of implementing a successful test, track and isolate system with the current number of cases. We need a lockdown first in order to reduce the number of cases to a level that is manageable with such a system. Obviously the time required for the lockdown to take effect would be well spent in developing the system!
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

You wanted a plan. You got a plan.

Over to BoJo

On the upside, it would bankrupt the country quicker than the tory plan....so.....
    Starmer talks as if a circuit breaker will resolve covid

And what happens after three weeks
    What is a "circuit breaker" lockdown? All businesses to shut? What happens to students at UNI? What happens to public transport? etc etc
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    edited October 2020

Starmer is proposing to close all our local businesses just as they are getting back on their feet

Can't have a local business if all your customers are dead.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,200

Well done Keir, absolutely the right move.

And does he call for proper financial support for those businesses and workers affected by such a plan which will, undoubtedly, last longer than 2 - 3 weeks?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,870

It's official, Labour supports a lockdown.

Superb.

What do they mean by "lockdown"?

Do the mayors of Liverpool and Manchester also agree with this policy?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Am I righting thinking that Starmer take only 3 questions from the media?

I thought he looked in a hurry to move away from the microphones.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The way the media were hyping this Starmer announcement up, it was like he was going to call for something truly radical. Instead he is clearly just going to attack the government and say we should follow SAGE.

That's what I mean. SAGE proposed a 2 week circuit breaker, he is going to say we should do that. I presume he will also attack the government for sending kids back to uni, etc.

However, personally I am of the opinion that it is pie in the sky if you think 2 week lockdown will solve the problem, it just bumps it down the road a little bit. It might sound good, hey guys just just do another 2 weeks lockdown and everything will be better, but it won't be, in reality we would need to go again until after Christmas.
    Every bump down the road ends up with us understanding the virus better (we now know about outdoor transmission being harder (albeit not impossible) and mask helping (and even possibly reducing viral loads for those who do get sick)), getting better treatments (survival rates are far higher), buying time to actually focus on fast ubiquitous tests to focus on high-dispersal events, and getting closer to a vaccine.

And, yes, there will be a vaccine. Ten in Phase 3; usually an 85% chance if your vaccine gets that far.
    Andy, I think we have enough understanding now in how to break the transmission chain. I don't see what about 2-6 week lockdown will help us learn that we don't already know. The key is to get people who test positive to isolate properly, find everyone they've spent time with and get them to take a test and isolate them properly if they test positive as well. We already know these things and we can start doing this tomorrow, more time in lockdown, another million lost jobs and £100bn in borrowing won't teach us anything more that we don't know.
    They is no chance of implementing a successful test, track and isolate system with the current number of cases. We need a lockdown first in order to reduce the number of cases to a level that is manageable with such a system. Obviously the time required for the lockdown to take effect would be well spent in developing the system!
    Same was claimed about the NHS in March. Just a few weeks so the NHS will be able to cope. Not long.

And here we are.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

Starmer is proposing to close all our local, businesses just as they are getting back on their feet

You are blowing hot and cold. When Johnson does close everything down next week you will be right behind it. You are trying to have your cake and eat it here.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
    Pretty sure it took two or three months to get the R rate down last time. How do we do it in only two or three weeks this time?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Its also politically savvy from Starmer in the fact with a few exceptions the media are very pro lockdown harder with a vengeance, as it doesn't really effect them.

Media has been broadly hopeless, worst of the lot. "WHY WON'T YOU LOCK US DOWN MR JOHNSON" <-> "WHEN WILL THIS LOCKDOWN END".

They've been the equivalent of a toddler in the backseat of a car asking if we're nearly there yet.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    If anything is going to turn it around it's this sort of thing. No way could "Sleepy" do the Moonwalk! ...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1315929897483853824
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

TOPPING said:

The lockdown should be as long as necessary to get the cases down.

Yes, though probably politically impossible now. Our government has failed.
    You mean until a vaccine. What's the point of getting the cases down when that has been done and now they are rising again.

You are arguing for a lockdown until a vaccine. Which is a reasonable position to take although I fear it will come at some awesome economic, social, political and psychological cost.
    No, I am not arguing for a lockdown until a vaccine! That's the whole bloody point. I am arguing for a lockdown that is hard enough to reduce cases to a level at which they can be managed by an efficient testing, tracing and isolating system. Then the lockdown can be lifted, and we can live as freely as they do in countries like Taiwan and South Korea.
    Which sounds prima facie sensible. Just as Brexit sounded like it would be fine to its adherents. But the reality has been and I see no reason to believe won't again be different.

We simply don't have an efficient testing, tracing and isolating system and I don't see one coming soon.

So we need to tell us how likely you think such a system is to come about and then base your answers about what the government action should be on that.
  • Options

They'll die a lingering death anyway unless something is done to reduce the number of cases. Better a short(ish), sharp shock, which they might survive, than almost certain oblivion.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Same was claimed about the NHS in March. Just a few weeks so the NHS will be able to cope. Not long.

And here we are.
    The lockdown in March worked.

What part of Government policy since has worked?
  • Options

Unbelievably crass and stupid comment.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Let's deal with the reality of what we have, though. We had 4 months to build this and we didn't. What difference will another 2-6 weeks make? Clearly the government isn't interested in actually doing the hard work to build an effective tracking and isolation system and all of the plans should be made with that in mind.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

When there is high enough unemployment to ensure a Labour government with him as PM?
    What a silly comment.
  • Options
    "In the latest edition of Kekst CNC’s global opinion tracker, the gap between those wanting government to prioritise limiting the spread of the virus and those wanting government to prioritise protecting the economy has more than halved, from 61 points in April to 25 points today — with older people and Conservative voters swinging towards the economy. The same survey shows that concern about the impact of the virus on people’s health is still high, but is significantly lower than in April, with the percentage of those very concerned falling from 70 per cent then to 54 per cent now. And Ipsos-MORI shows a move away from stricter lockdown measures in the last month alone — from net +17 support for closing non-essential shops in September to -3 this month."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-britain-really-a-nation-of-lockdown-lovers-#
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,430

RobD said:

However, its pie in the sky if you think 2 week lockdown will solve the problem, it just bumps it down the road a little bit.
    Two weeks is better than nothing - I would support longer personally.
    I actually don't think it is. It kills business, and it gives the public false hope. The reality is if we go down the circuit breaker route, we will more than likely end up doing 2 weeks on, 2 week off for months.
    I also wonder what the reaction would be at the end of two weeks where cases are still high. These measures take time to have an effect, which we saw back earlier in the year.
    This is the other point, it is scientifically flawed experiment. In 2 weeks you will have no idea if it is worked or not, so then what do you do? Its like doing the vaccine trials and ending them after a couple of months because nobody has caught COVID in that timeframe.
    To be a pedant, it's not a scientifically flawed experiment - the data on what a two week lockdown will achieve will be just as good in 2+x weeks if a lockdown runs for 2 weeks as if it runs for 2+x weeks where x is the lag before an assessment can be made. It may be flawed as a policy, which is your point, because if you want to do one lockdown until time T (whether that's after expected/hoped availability of a vaccine, after Christmas, whenever) then you need to see and judge the effectiveness before you know how long the lockdown needs to be. However, we have data from the spring lockdown and from other first and second lockdowns here and elsewhere which may enable effects to be estimated with a fair degree of confidence, main uncertainty probably being adherence to lockdown a second time compared to the first and - if the lockdown rules differed to the first - the effectiveness of different rules.
  • Options

Over to BoJo

On the upside, it would bankrupt the country quicker than the tory plan....so.....

What is a "circuit breaker" lockdown? All businesses to shut? What happens to students at UNI? What happens to public transport? etc etc
    Circuit breaker is closing businesses across the England for 3 weeks at least while Scotland and Wales continue on a tier basis
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    Can I say that I purely and simply do not believe the results of this oft quoted paper:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.15.20191957v1

82% are failing to self-isolate and 89% are failing to ask for a test?

If I were peervreviewing, I'd be looking at the exact survey questions and seeing if non compliance has been miscorrelated or inferred from leading questions.

For instance, if I were asked if I'd had a cough this week, I'd say yes. It is not particularly new and it is nowhere near continuous. The COVID advice sets a highish bar for the type of cough that would warrant a test and I would not seek one until and unless I felt I met that bar. But if I subsequently developed a worse cough, maybe they could infer that I failed to order a test or isolate in those early stages of symptoms. (not feeling symptoms were severe enough was a quoted reason for failure). I would feel I had acted correctly in line with the guidance.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

What a silly comment.
    No, fact.

The more people are unemployed, the more people are claiming benefits and living in social housing and reliant on the state, the more people will be voting Labour and the more unpopular this Tory government will be
  • Options

Unbelievably crass and stupid comment.
    Lighten up, snowflake
  • Options
    I can see PB Tories are rattled.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

And here we are.
    That's because we failed to develop an effective test, trace and isolate system. So off we go again :-(
  • Options
    edited October 2020

MaxPB said:

Its madness....Boris should have said weeks ago, there will be no foreign holidays for the 6 months. Don't even think about booking Dubai for Christmas or Morzine in February.

And still not airport testing or proper quarantine. These are real actionable policies that would effect the new cases being imported.
    Thankfully Dubai is insisting on a (privately-arranged in the UK) negative test within 48 hours before travelling here, and you'll need to get another private negative test here the day before you fly back. The beach hotels are very well organised with reduced capacity and distancing, and any messing around will lead to you getting nicked. It's one place that's unlikely to be bringing a huge amount of C19 back to the UK.

The European ski resorts, on the other hand...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

MaxPB said:

And here we are.
    The lockdown in March worked.

What part of Government policy since has worked?
    That was also slightly longer than two weeks.
  • Options

Over to BoJo

Circuit breaker is closing businesses across the England for 3 weeks at least while Scotland and Wales continue on a tier basis
    It is a completely mad idea
  • Options

Ridiculous.

This is NOT the X disease. The pandemic scientists really fear that kills a huge percentage. The IFR of covid is what 0.1 - 0.2%?
  • Options

Ridiculous.

This is NOT the X disease. The pandemic scientists really fear that kills a huge percentage. The IFR of covid is what 0.1 - 0.2%?
    I don't even support the lockdown. :D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    So is England moving to Tier Starmer?
  • Options

Over to BoJo

Where is SAGE's evidence that a 2 or 3 week break will reduce R sufficiently?

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

The problem is the strong possibility that more people will die in the long-term from the effects of the lockdown than from Covid-19 itself.
    And the problem with that is, it assumes that utilitarianism is correct, and generally accepted, and that assumption is wrong. Say a Bad Man says: you must kill x, or I will kill x and also y and z. Which is it? (The Bad Man has form for this, you know he means it. If you decide to kill x it will be in circumstances where you know you are absolutely safe from arrest, trial or other adverse consequences). Do you kill x or not? There's lots of support for both views, but - here's the kicker - there's little doubt that many or most of the kill-x ers will decide when push comes to shove that they can't and won't do it after all. Same with covid. You might initially sell the public a limited let it rip, minimise overall damage from all causes approach, but with people actually dying of covid they will not buy "yes but it's ok for them to die because their actual death prevents two or more future hypothetical deaths." You will always end up in lockdown, no matter where you start.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

I've always been angry about the open unmonitored airports situation during Covid but I am now beginning to become furious about it. Nothing about the British attitude to airports makes any sense whatsoever.
    The only explanation is the huge amounts of money spent by the travel industry on newspaper advertising, and the consequent pressure applied by the media to keep overseas travel running.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kinabalu said:

If anything is going to turn it around it's this sort of thing. No way could "Sleepy" do the Moonwalk! ...

Well, Sleepy can't even remember the state he is in, Mitt Romney's name or that he is running to be President and not Senator, so.......
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    So many holes in Starmer's idea he's getting ripped apart on Twitter. Although of course he can rely on Lewis Goodall for unwavering support! Why on earth would you lock down Devon and Cornwall when Manchester has 10 times the amount of cases? Completely anti-business and anti common sense.
  • Options
    Its smart politics from SKS. Or is it - we know Red Wall Lab > Tory switchers are still backing Shagger. I get that - when you make that kind of leap you might look like a bit of a fool to switch back straight away. Are Red wallers going to back SKS saying stay home - when in a lot of places it seems "normal" still? Or back Shagger still...?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Well, Sleepy can't even remember the state he is in, Mitt Romney's name or that he is running to be President and not Senator, so.......
    And yet he's still more suited to being president than Trump. How damning is that?
  • Options

Closing down the whole economy on the hope that in three weeks we will have curtailed the virus by 28 days is nonsense

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Andy_JS said:

Latest 538 forecast: Biden 87%, Trump 13%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

Still only 6/1 against in betting terms. Backed plenty of six to one winners in my time - about every seven goes on average. :)
    6/1 was what I got on Trump in 2016. I wish the betting odds would move more in line with 538 :)
  • Options

They'll die a lingering death anyway unless something is done to reduce the number of cases. Better a short(ish), sharp shock, which they might survive, than almost certain oblivion.
    It's a case of when you apply the brakes. It should have been done in August with a light touch. We didn't do that. So you can apply them now with jolt. Or else in a month's time we will jam them on just before we hit the brick wall.

But we will apply those brakes. There is absolute certainty on that.

Johnson knows it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

In brute political terms Starmer can't really lose with this call. If lots of deaths materialise, he'll be able to say that he warned the government and they did nothing, with appalling consequences. If we muddle through OK without the 'circuit breaker', no-one will remember that he called for it.

I don't think it's good that the major opposition party should attack governments on core policy in national crisis, which should be consensus. Fine to challenge on the detail. Truth is, Johnson is weak. He probably knows he should do as Starmer sets out and as other prime ministers of different political persuasions would have done in similar circumstances. Last night he was clearly in his comfort zone scoring points off Starmer. Much easier than facing down opposition in his own party.
    Circuit breaker or not IS detail.
  • Options
    Also @FeersumEnjineeya I don't agree with the premise that we couldn't build a proper local isolation system at least. Local authorities could get a system of hotels and catering companies set up pretty quickly for hotel based isolation as they have across SE and East Asia. The issue is thay the government, NHS and PHE are absolutely 100% resistant to giving up centralised control on anything to do with the virus and a national hotel isolation system would take months to build.
  • Options

Closing down the whole economy on the hope that in three weeks we will have curtailed the virus by 28 days is nonsense

The play here is that Keir is gambling on Boris having to do this anyway in a couple of weeks, and thus following rather than leading.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

100% wait for 3 weeks to become 6 weeks and then 3 months. I'm sure even Labour's most ardent supporters know this isn't a realistic solution. There's good reason other countries aren't pursuing this. It kills business and has the public frozen with fear.
  • Options
    Brom said:

So many holes in Starmer's idea he's getting ripped apart on Twitter. Although of course he can rely on Lewis Goodall for unwavering support! Why on earth would you lock down Devon and Cornwall when Manchester has 10 times the amount of cases? Completely anti-business and anti common sense.

Succinct comment

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

So is England moving to Tier Starmer?

Applause, all stand, loud cheers.
  • Options

The only thing that rattles me is that Johnson will go along with this lunacy.
  • Options

Over to BoJo

And why has Nicola Sturgeon not implemented it

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    dr_spyn said:

No, you're not.
  • Options
    Exhausting trying to keep up with which of Labour and the Tories are trying to look the least competent and confident in their convictions on what to do in the face of the second wave.....

We need to get Baron Clarke of Nottingham on the airwaves to talk some sense to everyone asap!!!
  • Options

Its smart politics from SKS. Or is it - we know Red Wall Lab > Tory switchers are still backing Shagger. I get that - when you make that kind of leap you might look like a bit of a fool to switch back straight away. Are Red wallers going to back SKS saying stay home - when in a lot of places it seems "normal" still? Or back Shagger still...?

At least Starmer has committed one way or the other. I think it is fairly low risk, but you are right the Red Wall won't like it.

It does seem like the right thing to do politics aside.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Brom said:

100% wait for 3 weeks to become 6 weeks and then 3 months. I'm sure even Labour's most ardent supporters know this isn't a realistic solution. There's good reason other countries aren't pursuing this. It kills business and has the public frozen with fear.
    ... and it's never properly enforced so it doesn't work anyway.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517
    Once SKS decides that his policy is opposition then the early stages are easy - given there are no good outcomes and SKS has no responsibility to shoulder he has an infinity of free hits.

In the longer run however it is a less cool scene. With Brexit to come if the opposition are simply seen as opportunist in a time of multi No Good Possible Outcomes his policy of qualified support so far may come to seem wise. Furthermore, he wants to present as a future real candidate for PM. We need to know where he stands when the bombardment starts.
  • Options

Over to BoJo

And why has Nicola Sturgeon not implemented it

Too busy having a metaphorical arm wrestle with Salmond?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Brom said:

... and it's never properly enforced so it doesn't work anyway.
    Which is why 2 weeks becomes 6 weeks and then 3 months.

The idea of a two week circuit breaker is a joke.
  • Options

At least Starmer has committed one way or the other. I think it is fairly low risk, but you are right the Red Wall won't like it.

The "red wall" is already in near lockdown. The change would be marginal.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Brom said:

Lefties want misery applied equally across the country. War on the undeserving content

Starmer's Covid tax on those who aren't affected by it
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Interesting that the NAACP has a GOTV plan to raise black voter participation back up to near 2012 levels (66%) from the drop of (59%) in 2016. Even assuming that all of this rise in black votes goes to Biden, it's only about 0.5% impact on the headline figure for Biden, but - even discounting any other swings to Biden - in the Rust Belt and Florida, it would have made the difference in 2016.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/10/12/black-voters-turn-out-fire-donald-trump-and-enablers-naacp-column/5960096002/
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

No, you're not.
    He did Nick

Just three questions and a quick getaway
  • Options
    Brom said:

Oh so Twitter is now correct again now it's anti-Starmer? You lot are utterly pathetic
  • Options

They'll come round to it when the hospitals are full of dying covid patients this Christmas. It'll be far too late then, of course.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    If the advice from SAGE was to do a 2-3 week lockdown 3 weeks ago, then presumably having one now will at best return us to where we were 2-3 weeks ago. At which point SAGE advice will be to do a 2-3 week lockdown...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Scott_xP said:
    I'd hope Gov't popularity/giving Starmer a boost would be the least of Boris' concerns at this point. We're miles away from the next GE anyway.
  • Options

They'll come round to it when the hospitals are full of dying covid patients this Christmas. It'll be far too late then, of course.
    The hospitals are full of dying every Christmas. Its very sad, but it is also true.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well done Keir, absolutely the right move.

And does he call for proper financial support for those businesses and workers affected by such a plan which will, undoubtedly, last longer than 2 - 3 weeks?
    He would be a fool if he doesn't back it up with a robust support proposal.
  • Options

The play here is that Keir is gambling on Boris having to do this anyway in a couple of weeks, and thus following rather than leading.
    And if Boris plan succeeds Starmer will forever be the Labour leader who demanded the closure of the whole UK economy

I can see the GE posters already
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Jonathan said:

Tories asked Starmer for a plan. He merely reiterated scientists recommendation.

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

"Some" scientists, not all
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The problem is the strong possibility that more people will die in the long-term from the effects of the lockdown than from Covid-19 itself.
    Why is more people dying from the effects of lockdown than from Covid-19 a problem?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,100
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/13/johnson-ignored-science-second-wave-sage-advice

"We now find ourselves occupying the worst of all worlds: a limbo where the pandemic drags on and causes more damage, leaving us hopeless and praying for a vaccine. The government’s policy of continuous local lockdowns will disrupt everyday lives and damage businesses, but it won’t suppress the virus. England’s chief medical officer Chris Whitty conceded as much in a recent press briefing: in an extraordinary piece of political theatre, he followed the prime minister’s announcement of the three-tier system with a warning that these new measures won’t work."
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Tories asked Starmer for a plan. He merely reiterated scientists recommendation.

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

Except SAGE is only viewing this from a health perspective. The government does have to consider the effect on the economy before coming to a decision.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

And if Boris plan succeeds Starmer will forever be the Labour leader who demanded the closure of the whole UK economy

Silly Comment. Boris actually closed the UK.
  • Options

I suspect we will all want to forget about this come 2024.
  • Options
    isam said:

Quite glad Sir Keir has come out with that. I think I have a 100% record of disagreeing with everything he has said and done since becoming Labour leader, and I am happy for it to stay that way

I am sure if he read the shit you write (which he won't) he would (assuming he even cared) be delighted with such a record.
  • Options
    Tories are totally rattled, well done Sir Keir
  • Options
    Breaking

WHO have said to all leaders to stop using lockdowns
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

Circuit breaker or not IS detail.
    I don't think so. Johnson isn't proposing a big enough intervention to prevent the epidemic going out of control. SAGE is warning him specifically of this. Starmer's intervention makes it less likely that Johnson will take the necessary steps, which is why I don't approve of it, even though Starmer appears to be correct on the facts and even though Johnson's weakness is his own fault. I am pretty sure Johnson knows what he needs to do, but doesn't have the will to do it.
  • Options

Nah. Realistically nobody will care. It will all be forgotten in the post-corona, post-brexit bonanza.
  • Options
    So which businesses will have to close?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

Except SAGE is only viewing this from a health perspective. The government does have to consider the effect on the economy before coming to a decision.
    Things are in a bad state. It’s clearly sadly an option that needs serious consideration.
  • Options

isam said:

I am sure if he read the shit you write (which he won't) he would (assuming he even cared) be delighted with such a record.
    Aw you so nasty
This discussion has been closed.