Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Tonight’s big event in the White House race – The VP debate – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2020 in General
Tonight’s big event in the White House race – The VP debate – politicalbetting.com

The big WH2020 event tonight – Harris v Pence in the TV debate pic.twitter.com/sgRlxRg4cZ

Read the full story here

Comments

• Primus inter pares
  • I think I will give it a miss thanks.
  • Do Veep debates matter?

Danforth Quayle got mullered by Lloyd Bentsen and it didn't stop Bush Senior from winning the election easily.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Is Johnson about to lose Middle England?
  • I think I will give it a miss thanks.

I will have to take away your political nerd badge.
  • Wow. The Mail goes full on tonight.

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1313949550592262144/photo/1

The Mail seem to vacillate more than the government. Some weeks the government aren't locking down hard enough, others too hard, too fast, too slow....
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,750
    I think Harris will thump Pence. She has good court room skills and he is thick. Given the target rich environment it really should be a slaughter.
  • Lockdown 2.0

Do Veep debates matter?

Danforth Quayle got mullered by Lloyd Bentsen and it didn't stop Bush Senior from winning the election easily.

There should be a bit more interest in this as one of them could well be POTUS within a couple of years given the age of their colleague.

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259

Primus inter pares

Quoting latin - a surefire way to get yourself disqualified for a BBC job.
  • Lockdown 2.0

When do we get Lockdown Harder with a Vengeance? March 2021?

Lockdown 2.0

Starting on Monday by sounds of things.

We'll be on 2.1 by Wednesday.
  • So how does the Mail explain the success of New Zealand and the failure of the USA?
  • Primus inter pares

I can quote Catullus 16 if that appeals to the more plebeian BBC.

Wow. The Mail goes full on tonight.

The Mail seem to vacillate more than the government. Some weeks the government aren't locking down hard enough, others too hard, too fast, too slow....
    This feels like a decisive editorial move by the paper.

Do Veep debates matter?

There should be a bit more interest in this as one of them could well be POTUS within a couple of years given the age of their colleague.

I think President Harris will be a major improvement on either of the present candidates.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    What an angry front page. Sounds like Trump to be honest.

Anyway I don't think the execution or the messaging is the best but our Gov'ts Covid *strategy* is probably about as good as we can muddle through right now.

I note Starmer refused to vote down the bill which could have kept the pubs open, but then goes onto critisice (Or something). Certainly looks a bit like Captain Hindsight to me on this, and I've been a fan of his performances previously.

We can re-evaluate after phase 3 trial results.
  • Wow. The Mail goes full on tonight.

Indeed.

As much as people like to make fun of Boris for his apparent "go to work, don't go to work" bit . . . the media and opposition are just as bad for it.
  • This surprises me, turns out gyms aren't as bad as I thought.

Fitness and leisure sector reports COVID rate of 0.34 per 100,000 visits since reopening in England

https://www.ukactive.com/news/fitness-and-leisure-sector-reports-covid-rate-of-0-34-per-100000-visits-since-reopening-in-england/
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    DavidL said:

Do Veep debates matter?

I think President Harris will be a major improvement on either of the present candidates.
    I’m hoping Betfair will open a 2024 market shortly after the election.
    Is the UK still backfilling missed cases or are our numbers of new cases etc reflecting what is happening now? I have somewhat lost track.
    'No hesitation': Frank Luntz says Biden will be the next president if there are no more presidential debates

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1313949624940531714
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I do wonder if there's a case for saying harsher lockdowns drive groups into their homes and closer contact and, in the short term, causes significant rises in cases. Ultimately it burns out, but it is why i am very suspicious about talk of two week "circuit breakers".
  • Do Veep debates matter?

And the other one is a religious weirdo.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837

Wow. The Mail goes full on tonight.

It's just angry and reactionary, Sunak made his first gaffe this week by telling the truth about live music till the pandemic is over.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

I think Harris will thump Pence. She has good court room skills and he is thick. Given the target rich environment it really should be a slaughter.

Pence was a radio/TV talk show host for half a decade. He can talk.

And this isn't a court room or senate hearing chamber.
  • alex_ said:

I do wonder if there's a case for saying harsher lockdowns drive groups into their homes and closer contact and, in the short term, causes significant rises in cases. Ultimately it burns out, but it is why i am very suspicious about talk of two week "circuit breakers".

Perhaps it's reasonable to argue that the original lockdown was easy to understand in terms of rules and when we came out of it people continued to follow them.

When they started complicated the rules and opening up (too quickly I think), people started to misunderstand and then gave up.

Before lockdown 2.0, I would close all the pubs and restaurants (or limit opening hours to lunch time or something) and restrict the rule of six to outdoors only.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited October 2020
    DavidL said:

Is the UK still backfilling missed cases or are our numbers of new cases etc reflecting what is happening now? I have somewhat lost track.

You're not the only one..
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited October 2020
    glw said:

FPT:

Pulpstar said:
    Has there ever been a government more prone to coming up with empty, unplanned, undeliverable initiatives?

How's project Moonshine Moonshot going?
    They clearly never heard of under promise / over deliver. Remember back to we will have millions of antibody tests in a couple of weeks and then we can have immunity passports.
    I think that the problem is that the government seems obsessed with finding a "silver bullet" that solves the problem, when there isn't one. Even the vaccine is just another tool. We get out of this mess by doing a hundred different things, and doing them a bit better each week than the last, and being focused intently on measuring the performance as we go. If something isn't working you stop doing it and try something else, not double down on doing the same thing.

I see no sign that the govenment has a deliverable plan for getting COVID-19 under control, everything points to us at best keeping the plates spinning until a vaccine turns up, but there is no guarantee that a vaccine will be as effective as we need to really bring an end to the pandemic.
    Johnson is clearly betting on a vaccine coming early next year and putting us back to normal. Hence the investment in vaccines and the attempt to prevent a second lockdown.

In the case we never get a vaccine, then what?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Lawyers have a tendency to think their skills in court are directly transferrable to politics*.

There's clearly enough shared skills for it to be such a common background for politicians, but it is certainly no guarantee.

*Actually the bad ones seem to think it means their skills are transferable to anything, even without knowledge.
  • Presumably those against Sturgeon will be consistent and attack Johnson now
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited October 2020
    Hmmm...

LAFC vs Colorado Rapids
    or
    Pence vs Harris

Choices, choices...
  • alex_ said:

Two weeks will do sod all.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

This surprises me, turns out gyms aren't as bad as I thought.

Fitness and leisure sector reports COVID rate of 0.34 per 100,000 visits since reopening in England

https://www.ukactive.com/news/fitness-and-leisure-sector-reports-covid-rate-of-0-34-per-100000-visits-since-reopening-in-england/

Astute to produce figures. Pubs and restaurants should do the same.

I am working on a covid risk analysis of 1500 outpatient visits in April to June, and cross checking against Tier 1 and Tier 2 test results. The pilot study found none, so our procedures seem safe.

The big data war room should be doing this sort of work up to target the real risks. I suspect the transmission is happening in a fairly small subset of establishments.

The rule should be that if an establishment has a cluster of 3 or more cases, it is closed for a month. The more responsible places can stay open.
  • Can I have a cases update for today please, are we still trending up
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm...

LAFC vs Colorado Rapids
    or
    Pence vs Harris

Choices, choices...

And we're denied the best choice, a livestream of the Guernsey General Election count.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,151
    DavidL said:

I don't know. You can always ask Dido what her spreadsheet says.
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm...

LAFC vs Colorado Rapids
    or
    Pence vs Harris

Choices, choices...

I watched a couple of MLS games whilst in the US. Seemed very sedate and about the standard of League 2. Doesn’t help that they play much of their season in the baking summer heat I guess
    alex_ said:

Sending the Uni students home for two weeks would be like chucking petrol on a fire.

DavidL said:

Too late. It's on a memory stick left on a train.
  • "Don't get mad" = We just blew a bunch of money on an outlier.

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm...

LAFC vs Colorado Rapids
    or
    Pence vs Harris

Choices, choices...

I watched a couple of MLS games whilst in the US. Seemed very sedate and about the standard of League 2. Doesn’t help that they play much of their season in the baking summer heat I guess
    So, I'm biased, but I'd say the top MLS teams are about as good as Brighton & Hove Albion.

Certainly LAFC thumping Club Leon of Mexico was a pretty decent standard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbhEvhBWXUw&ab_channel=TUDNUSA

Can I have a cases update for today please, are we still trending up

Depends if you are using Excel 2003 or Office 365

alex_ said:

Two weeks will do sod all.
    It does seem counterintuitive at first glance, given it took ages for the first lockdown to take effect inthe figures.
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm...

LAFC vs Colorado Rapids
    or
    Pence vs Harris

Choices, choices...

No bloody commitment! Call yourself a politics nerd?

When does Kamala start to kick ass?

glw said:

FPT:

Pulpstar said:
    Has there ever been a government more prone to coming up with empty, unplanned, undeliverable initiatives?

How's project Moonshine Moonshot going?
    They clearly never heard of under promise / over deliver. Remember back to we will have millions of antibody tests in a couple of weeks and then we can have immunity passports.
    I think that the problem is that the government seems obsessed with finding a "silver bullet" that solves the problem, when there isn't one. Even the vaccine is just another tool. We get out of this mess by doing a hundred different things, and doing them a bit better each week than the last, and being focused intently on measuring the performance as we go. If something isn't working you stop doing it and try something else, not double down on doing the same thing.

I see no sign that the govenment has a deliverable plan for getting COVID-19 under control, everything points to us at best keeping the plates spinning until a vaccine turns up, but there is no guarantee that a vaccine will be as effective as we need to really bring an end to the pandemic.
    Johnson is clearly betting on a vaccine coming early next year and putting us back to normal. Hence the investment in vaccines and the attempt to prevent a second lockdown.

In the case we never get a vaccine, then what?
    Thunderdome.

Or more likely, eking out social distancing whilst hoping the public dislike of further lockdowns means the inevitable increase is not blamed on the government when it does not lockdown more.
    Nottingham now 4th highest in the country. :disappointed:
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Primus inter pares

I can quote Catullus 16 if that appeals to the more plebeian BBC.
    Look on the bright side. If privately educated Oxbridge types are to be denied jobs at the Beeb at least Dido Harding won’t get to be its Chairman.
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Sending the Uni students home for two weeks would be like chucking petrol on a fire.
    Wouldn't "chucking hot embers on a pool of petrol" be a closer analogy?
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

With respect to @DavidL, I don’t think Pence will get thumped at all. His tone is measured and he doesn’t get flustered. I can’t see him making a massive error.

Harris, OTOH, has form at screening things up. I agree with the view that lawyers seem to think they can turn their hand to anything (no offence David) but Harris got her ass handed on a plate to her by Tulsi Gabbard (from 3:52 - still a powerful piece)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fjA0K2EeE

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

With respect to @DavidL, I don’t think Pence will get thumped at all. His tone is measured and he doesn’t get flustered. I can’t see him making a massive error.

Harris, OTOH, has form at screwing things up. I agree with the view that lawyers seem to think they can turn their hand to anything (no offence David) but Harris got her ass handed on a plate to her by Tulsi Gabbard (from 3:52 - still a powerful piece)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fjA0K2EeE

Text corrected :)
  • How is London looking?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,584
    DavidL said:

Caught up.

How is London looking?

It's looking a bit dodgy

About 80/100,000 but rising rapidly towards the 100/100,000 level
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020

Spoons had a similar report and that got spun the other way as Spoons being plague spreading central, when it same sort of data didn't show that at all.

I think what it actually shows is the track and trace is utter shit. There is no way only 70 odd people who have contracted COVID at some point also attended a gym in that period (when there were 22 million visits to a gym).
    HYUFD said:
    A reminder that Barack and Biden came within 4000 votes (0.14%) of taking Missouri in 2008.

Can I have a cases update for today please, are we still trending up

Depends if you are using Excel 2003 or Office 365
    Do you me to repost the whole bloody lot or is this enough?

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020

A lot of students. Almost as many pubs.

When I was there people said it has more bars per square mile than any other city in the UK. Not sure if its true or not.
  • Is death trending up? What about hospital cases, thanks

Another example of real data showing a slight problem with the "It's completely obvious to me, but not to those morons....." school of amateur governance.
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    A reminder that Barack and Biden came within 4000 votes (0.14%) of taking Missouri in 2008.
    MO going Dem would be tasty.
    edited October 2020
    The other thing mistake the government keep repeating.....they leak an announcement a week before it will actually come into effect, leave it 3-4 days for the media to hyperventilate about how confusing new restrictions are and all the loopholes (despite not knowing the exact T&Cs) and then Boris comes on, waffles and ministers still don't really seem to know the lines.

You make your mind up, you get on the tv and announce it coming into force a day or two later. Or better still have a long term plan from the beginning and you don't chop and change.

Is death trending up? What about hospital cases, thanks

In London?
    Hospital cases up somewhat, deaths not really - yet.

National picture available here, you can look up regions too:
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
    Clear sign of rise in hospital admissions/use of ventilators

DavidL said:

It's PHE's spreadsheet. Dido was using CSVs, apparently. Which err..... worked.
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1313945354400825347?s=20

Surely the article should have started "Privately educated Oxbridge graduate Tim Davie..."

In London?
    Hospital cases up somewhat, deaths not really - yet.

National picture available here, you can look up regions too:
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
    Clear sign of rise in hospital admissions/use of ventilators
    Hospitals

Deaths

• CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720
    This is boring. Can't we carry on talking about how great/terrible (delete as appropriate) Brexit is?
  • MrEd said:
    The fat lady is warming up her vocals.

Admissions going up sowly in Leicester, but the numbers of deaths are not yet released publicly. Families and coroners need to be informed first.
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    The big mo.
    CatMan said:

This is boring. Can't we carry on talking about how great/terrible (delete as appropriate) Brexit is?

Normally american elections are so lengthy in build up it becomes near impossible to be interested by the end without money on the table, I find. This time certain other stories have taken up much of the time so it hasn't worn out its welcome so much.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited October 2020
    Interesting piece on BBC Wales News, confirming a withering criticism from President Trump of the handling of Covid-19 in Wales. Yes Wales!

The Leader of the Free World has acknowledged that (not by name) the Corbynista, Drakeford's mishandling of Covid-19 is alongside the worst in the World.
    CatMan said:

That is so last year! (and the year before, and the year before that, and...)
    edited October 2020

twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1313960936634560513

I firmly believe on this one, Boris isn't just riffing it. I think it is a strategy to try and keep the public on board, by just continually shifting the end to be a bit like the gold at the end of the rainbow. In the same way they were told the British public wouldn't stick a lockdown for more than a couple of months, I think from the start they have been told they won't go for the Swedish type announcement of "sorry folks this is it for 2 years at least".

MrEd said:
    Have to question that poll - looks like only 60pc of those polled were likely voters.

Having said that, doesn’t look as though much has changed in perceptions of the main candidates on the major issues.

Some interesting sub-question findings. Since plenty of here will do the hit job on Donald, I’ll focus on what they said about Joe - 40pc believe he has dementia, 48pc that he supports defunding the police and 49pc that be Will beholden to the “socialists”
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

A lot of students. Almost as many pubs.

When I was there people said it has more bars per square mile than any other city in the UK. Not sure if its true or not.
    That wouldn’t surprise me. It’s certainly got a banging nightlife.

28 deaths in Bro- Taf Health Board over the last week or so, 21 in East Glamorgan Hospital. Three fatalities today in Wales. Wales had been running at 0 per day for weeks.
    FiveThirtyEight now has Biden at 84% chance. Also launched their House model which actually predicts the Dems making some small gains from 2018
    Who? Johnson or Trump.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

How is London looking?

It's looking a bit dodgy

Pineapple pizzas per 100,000, I assume?
    RobD said:

How is London looking?

It's looking a bit dodgy

Pineapple pizzas per 100,000, I assume?
    That's more in South Yorkshire/Sheffield
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Trump wins Florida and Arizona in every single one of his victories in the 538 simulations. He wins Nevada in all but 4.

Those states are key going off that - never mind the rust belt.
  • Foxy said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    They probably won it but there was some fiddling at the count and if they'd asked for a recount it would likely have gone to the Dems, but there was no point. Obama was home and hosed and nobody could be bothered to chase the miscreants up.

Annoyed me though. I had £50 on the Dems at 10/1. Grrrr.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    Lisa Nandy on Peston.

I know she has a certain fan club on here.

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm...

LAFC vs Colorado Rapids
    or
    Pence vs Harris

Choices, choices...

LAFC game delayed due to Colorado players testing positive for CV19.

I guess I'll be watching the debate.
  • Desperate for enemies, you mean. Note that Trump's tweet refers to the China virus. If Pence lays into China in the debate tonight, we'll know it is official GOP strategy.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:
    Have to question that poll - looks like only 60pc of those polled were likely voters.

Having said that, doesn’t look as though much has changed in perceptions of the main candidates on the major issues.

Some interesting sub-question findings. Since plenty of here will do the hit job on Donald, I’ll focus on what they said about Joe - 40pc believe he has dementia, 48pc that he supports defunding the police and 49pc that be Will beholden to the “socialists”
    538 is quoting that poll as a poll of 633 likely voters, still 48/46 to Biden.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited October 2020

Who? Johnson or Trump.
    As I have said before Trump is Boris' closest friend in the G7, if Trump loses Boris will be put last on Biden's speed dial behind Merkel, Macron, Trudeau etc though Boris will at least have Yoshihide Suga, the new Japanese PM as the source of his one FTA so far.

There is no doubt a Biden win will be a boost for Starmer and a blow to Boris, it also makes a No Deal Brexit less likely given there would be no FTAs with the EU or a Biden led US, the UK's two largest export destinations
This discussion has been closed.