Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Question

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    Three hours before all these new crimes come into force, have they published the new virus regulations yet? I can't find them. Can anyone assist with a link?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

Another trip to Barnard Castle?
    I had to edit my spelling

And another gone
    You got me all excited for a moment.

And then I remembered that this is a cricket forum.
    Cricket seems to unite us across politics on this forum

Pity other things more important do not
    I think most agree the death penalty must never be reintroduced
    I don't. If we are prepared to bomb our enemies, killing innocents, I can be persuaded that we should execute convicted child murderers.
    Well your views depend on which personality you adopt that day, eh Sean
    i have no idea who "Sean" is, but I am tired of this epicene liberal hypocrisy which tolerates bombing during wars (which kills babies) but shrivels in pearl-clutching horror at hanging the likes of Fred West.
    You are Sean, well your last alter-ego/voice in your head was Sean.

The fact you still deny it's you when we all know it is, is the tragic thing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It is a seat of two parts. Around 40% of the population lives in the university city of Bangor, which is strongly Labour. The rest is scattered through a variety of small towns and villages, almost all majority Welsh speaking, and is solidly Plaid. The share varies essentially according to turnout.

So it always looks close, but isn’t really. The vote isn’t volatile. The only swing town in the constituency would be Caernarfon.
    Your knowledge is extraordinary
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

I don't. If we are prepared to bomb our enemies, killing innocents, I can be persuaded that we should execute convicted child murderers.
    i have no idea who "Sean" is, but I am tired of this epicene liberal hypocrisy which tolerates bombing during wars (which kills babies) but shrivels in pearl-clutching horror at hanging the likes of Fred West.

lol
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,304
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

He’s an author who Knox about this place under a variety of unconvincing pseudonyms.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

lol
    Presumably you'll be off soon and back with a new personality, I'll be sure to look out for it
  • Options
    Remarkable to think this Aussie collapse all started with the very plum LBW of Labuschagne who was initially given Not Out by the on field umpire.

Without DRS we could be in a very different situation right now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

lol
    Presumably you'll be off soon and back with a new personality, I'll be sure to look out for it
    Surely the nub of the matter is that every personality is the same.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited September 2020
    Oops
  • Options
    edited September 2020

ydoethur said:

It is a seat of two parts. Around 40% of the population lives in the university city of Bangor, which is strongly Labour. The rest is scattered through a variety of small towns and villages, almost all majority Welsh speaking, and is solidly Plaid. The share varies essentially according to turnout.

So it always looks close, but isn’t really. The vote isn’t volatile. The only swing town in the constituency would be Caernarfon.
    Oh yeah? Try me on London or East Anglia and you will rapidly revise your opinion...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

lol
    The writing style is the same, his personality changes depending on the day, as do his views.
  • Options

Did anyone do any research to investigate whether Braveheart did, as rumoured, have any political effects in Scotland?

I was at senior school up there at the time. I certainly detected a change in atmosphere towards the English afterwards.

Didn't they play one of the movie's more stirring scenes before or during (half time) a crucial England/Scotland rugby match, and Scotland surprisingly won?

I vaguely recall an anecdote to that effect.

Braveheart is an excellent film, whatever its inaccuracies. Simple but superb story telling. Vivid and compelling. It's just a shame it overshadowed the even better Rob Roy, which came out at about the same time, and has one of the greatest scripts of any British movie ever made.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

On death penalty, Ian Hislop got it right many years ago.

If you get it wrong, the person is dead. Then what?

It really should only ever be used in cases where there is no doubt whatsoever (yes, those cases exist). So really the arguments come down to whether or not it should be used, and in my opinion it's not worth it even if some people deserve it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oh yeah? Try me on London or East Anglia and you will rapidly revise your opinion...
    Well you know a lot more than me, friend
  • Options
    on the brink
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It really should only ever be used in cases where there is no doubt whatsoever (yes, those cases exist). So really the arguments come down to whether or not it should be used, and in my opinion it's not worth it even if some people deserve it.
    The wrongful convictions that were overturned years later would like to have a word. There simply is no way to ever be sure.

We do not kill people, we are a 21st Century liberal democracy
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,791

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

The next outrage bus is pulling out of the station:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54085249

The culture warriors clearly have never read J G Farrell - one of the most incisive (and funniest) critics of the British Empire.

In fairness one wonders if there might be a real problem but it might be the film producers who perpetrated the problem.

This reminds me that Farrell also wrote Troubles - also about Imperial decline (but in Ireland). I have both from when they first came out - I must fish them out again.
    If I was to indulge in amateur pscychologising I might be tempted to suggest It's about Britain's inability to examine it's past, but let's not go there..
    Really, Braveheart?

The most historically inaccurate film ever.
    While not suggesting Braveheart is in any way accurate, I feel you’re a bit generous to The Charge of the Light Brigade.
    There was far too much wooly thinking there.

I mean The Seventh Earl of Cardigan commanding during the Battle of Balaclava.
    With Raglan sleeves, presumably.
  • Options
    A lot of people don't know that it was Trump himself who founded the United Nations back in the 1970s.

So when you carp on about "Oh, he hates the UN, he hates the UN," just remember he started the whole thing!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Imagine we'd caught him after the Fall of Berlin.

Would you see him hang? I would.
  • Options

on the brink

I always had faith Sam Curran was dangerous enough bowler to get the crucial wickets....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The wrongful convictions that were overturned years later would like to have a word. There simply is no way to ever be sure.

Are you telling me that there is doubt about the identity or actions of the guy who shot all those people in that Mosque in New Zealand?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It’s nice to be appreciated :blush:

But seriously, there are some areas I know, including much of Wales, and I feel confident to discuss them. In other areas, like those I mentioned, when I opine I do tend to end up looking a fool.

So - lesson learned - I keep away from them.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Are you telling me that there is doubt about the identity or actions of the guy who shot all those people in that Mosque in New Zealand?
    For every case you say is certain (which this one is, despite your attempt at unfair debate), I can point to several where they got it completely wrong
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It’s nice to be appreciated :blush:

But seriously, there are some areas I know, including much of Wales, and I feel confident to discuss them. In other areas, like those I mentioned, when I opine I do tend to end up looking a fool.

So - lesson learned - I keep away from them.
    I always look a fool, I am happy with others teaching me :)
  • Options
    LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Many would have been curious to see if he could be well hung, in light of the rumours.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

We did not hang Napoleon and he terrorised the whole of Europe for decades.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

For every case you say is certain (which this one is, despite your attempt at unfair debate), I can point to several where they got it completely wrong
    Yes, but they weren't just executing people where there was no doubt, were they? That wasn't a rule back then.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, but they weren't just executing people where there was no doubt, were they? That wasn't a rule back then.
    In countries that still do execute people, start with the USA for a start
  • Options

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Now there was a man who was famous for not being well hung.
  • Options

I agree.
  • Options
    I am opposed to killing people on principle, including and especially the Government.

I have no doubt we are heading there - and I would consider emigrating and renouncing my citizenship if such a policy was introduced
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,791
    kinabalu said:

Lozza will not be cowed by the Covid jackaboots:
    https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1304872004370264065?s=20

Sneezy says count me in....
  • Options
    If he thinks Boris Johnson will be around until 2054 then I’m worried.

I’m hoping it’s a typo.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, and I think that is wrong. Why are you arguing with me?
  • Options

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Napoleon was not a particularly nice man, but I don't think you can equate him with Hitler.

The idea of giving Hitler "life imprisonment" is just absurd. He was a man who deserved to hang, if we had captured him. Likewise several other leading Nazis (who were, rightly, executed after the Nuremberg Trials).

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

There's a big Fox News poll out today (https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2020/09/Fox_September-7-10-2020_Complete_National_Topline_September-13-Release.pdf) that brings a bit of good news to both Trump and Biden.

For Trump, the positive news is that he's narrowed the gap to just five points.
    For Biden, the positive news is that his share in unchanged on 51%.

Wow, Fox really deserve their reputation as great pollsters. There is absolute gold in the questions - especially with the historical perspective they provide.

The How do you rate the he economy question asked at 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2018 is a light bulb moment.

53% of respondents said the economy was excellent or good in 2018 and then they shellaced the GOP anyways.

That figure is down to 38% now.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

My point is the idea of certainty is impossible.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Something a bit more authentically Scottish.

'It's shite being Scottish, but even more shite being British in BJ's UK'

https://youtu.be/29-LRuuqFT0

"can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by"

Ahem. Scotland was conquered and colonised by the English who also, by the by, created the modern world via the industrial revolution, saved the world during the Second World War, abolished slavery in their spare time, and created the greatest empire the world has ever seen, thereby making English the international language, allowing Scots to be (vaguely) understood all over the globe.

if Scotland hadn't been beaten up and enslaved by England, Scots would still be gargling in their weird little Gaelic tongue, and would also be eating lichen.

Irvine Welsh is simply and factually incorrect here. If you are going to be conquered and colonised, you may as well be conquered and colonised by the best: the English.

It very neatly encapsulates the visceral Scottish inferiority complex vis-a-vis the English.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Napoleon was not a particularly nice man, but I don't think you can equate him with Hitler.

The idea of giving Hitler "life imprisonment" is just absurd. He was a man who deserved to hang, if we had captured him. Likewise several other leading Nazis (who were, rightly, executed after the Nuremberg Trials).

Lock him up forever, throw away the key.

I oppose the death penalty on principle, irrelevant who it is
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited September 2020
    Those are incredibly ignorant comments. Trump seems to cast a spell over some people, many of them are undoubtably morons, or racist scum, but some of them must be sort of normal judging by the poll share. How does he do it? How come they don't see through the endless BS? Is it simply that they don't want to admit to being wrong?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I am opposed to killing people on principle, including and especially the Government.

I have no doubt we are heading there - and I would consider emigrating and renouncing my citizenship if such a policy was introduced

Well, I’m reluctantly diverging and considering how there might be moral justifications for killing the government.

(This is not intended to be taken entirely seriously.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Well, I’m reluctantly diverging and considering how there might be moral justifications for killing the government.
    Okay, you've got me there
  • Options

LadyG said:

Ahem. Scotland was conquered and colonised by the English who also, by the by, created the modern world via the industrial revolution, saved the world during the Second World War, abolished slavery in their spare time, and created the greatest empire the world has ever seen, thereby making English the international language, allowing Scots to be (vaguely) understood all over the globe.

if Scotland hadn't been beaten up and enslaved by England, Scots would still be gargling in their weird little Gaelic tongue, and would also be eating lichen.

Irvine Welsh is simply and factually incorrect here. If you are going to be conquered and colonised, you may as well be conquered and colonised by the best: the English.

It very neatly encapsulates the visceral Scottish inferiority complex vis-a-vis the English.
    Precisely put.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I thought you said that you were certain about the guy in New Zealand?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

And I then said I am opposed to the death penalty on principle.

It is impossible to be certain in every case and I oppose killing people, really that simple
  • Options
    Only one boundary in 17 overs for Australia
  • Options
    Very odd approach from Australia...they taking a single which keeps the rabbit on strike. Surely better to give up 1 and hope your batsman can club some boundaries.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

glw said:

I find the argument that some of these historical genius should have known better for their out of date views, because well they were a genius, rather odd.

Not only must they have confirmed to a perfectly virtuous life (by modern standards), they must have also been able to see the future and know what they had wrong in advance.

e.g. Considering that black Africans were intellectually inferior to white Europeans, when at the time virtually nobody had visited Africa, let alone have any empirical evidence. Rather it is based on hearsay about things like level of development in those civilisations and what was considered "backward" beliefs they had in comparison to the enlightened European civilisation.

But of course our own civilisation 200 years ago is massively backward in their beliefs of how the world works in every subject from today. And in 200 years will be looked back on what idiots we were today.

There is also the flawed assumption that history has a particular poltical or ethical direction. That's really not true. It's entirely plausible that some of the "right on" things of today will become unacceptable once more in the future, and vice versa.
    Interesting comment. Could be right but I'm not sure. Need to think about it.

Can you or anybody else give a few examples of something (non trivial) that used to be socially acceptable but is now unacceptable - e.g. drink driving - that we can envisage becoming acceptable again in the foreseeable future?
    Loads of things to do with drug usage and sex have flip and flopped between what is acceptable, and wouldn't be surprised if they continue to do so.
    Drugs and sex? Ok. But specifically something that was acceptable, is now unacceptable, but is likely to become acceptable again - not much is springing to mind.
    Are you phrasing it in that way to rule out the opposite? Abortion seems the most likely to reverse simply because it is a fundamental conflict of rights.
    No, that way - unacceptable to acceptable to unacceptable again - is just as interesting to consider.

Abortion? Well, a big slice of the USA would like to see that happen. Not seeing it myself though. Women will not tolerate such a diminution in status.
    Perhaps a bit late to suggest it as it has already happened, but one of the bellwethers of Brexit-related cultural clashes to me was when an English friend in Devon commented to me about 2009-11 about the way in which racialist chatter had suddenly become more acceptable in the local yacht/golf/etc clubs - middle class circles. He was evidently quite struck by it.
    Places like Devon and Cornwall are very nice to spend a couple of weeks in during August, but anecdotes like this are why I'd never live there. Just can't be bothered with this kind of shit.
    What utter bollocks
    Absolutely. I go there every year and I've yet to encounter any of the attitudes caricatured there.
  • Options

Only one boundary in 17 overs for Australia

Enjoy your commentary, please continue
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    LadyG said:

Did anyone do any research to investigate whether Braveheart did, as rumoured, have any political effects in Scotland?

I was at senior school up there at the time. I certainly detected a change in atmosphere towards the English afterwards.

Didn't they play one of the movie's more stirring scenes before or during (half time) a crucial England/Scotland rugby match, and Scotland surprisingly won?

Braveheart is an excellent film, whatever its inaccuracies. Simple but superb story telling. Vivid and compelling. It's just a shame it overshadowed the even better Rob Roy, which came out at about the same time, and has one of the greatest scripts of any British movie ever made.
    Braveheart is shite.
  • Options

Very odd approach from Australia...they taking a single which keeps the rabbit on strike. Surely better to give up 1 and hope your batsman can club some boundaries.

He’s not a rabbit, he’s a ferret.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

It is impossible to be certain in every case and I oppose killing people, really that simple
    Well, so am I as it happens, but I was just pointing out that ultimately it comes down to that because there are cases where there is no doubt so Hislop's argument only works in so far as capital punishment should not be used where there is any doubt.
  • Options
    Australia looking like Spurs tonight
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Locking someone up for ever, presumably in solitary confinement, with no prospect of any release, is arguably a torment worse, and more inhumane, than execution. What's the point in this crueltyt? Why waste the money? So he can repent??

Hitler was never going to repent. Hanging him, after a trial and conviction, would have been the better resolution, if we'd had the choice.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Locking someone up for ever, presumably in solitary confinement, with no prospect of any release, is arguably a torment worse, and more inhumane, than execution. What's the point in this crueltyt? Why waste the money? So he can repent??

Hitler was never going to repent. Hanging him, after a trial and conviction, would have been the better resolution, if we'd had the choice.
    No it wouldn't, I oppose killing people on principle.

Send him to prison and he can stay there for life. That's the humane thing to do, not killing somebody. Doesn't matter who it is.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    glw said:

Those are incredibly ignorant comments. Trump seems to cast a spell over some people, many of them are undoubtably morons, or racist scum, but some of them must be sort of normal judging by the poll share. How does he do it? How come they don't see through the endless BS? Is it simply that they don't want to admit to being wrong?
    "Mother, should I build the wall?
    Mother, should I run for President?
    Mother, should I trust the government?"
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,993
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Because we can afford the money and even if the conviction has only 0.001% of being wrong it's money will spent.

And if they are guilty the surely a more inhumane punishment is better than letting their torment end.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Well, so am I as it happens, but I was just pointing out that ultimately it comes down to that because there are cases where there is no doubt so Hislop's argument only works in so far as capital punishment should not be used where there is any doubt.
    The really interesting dilemma would be, say, if you got some awful child murderer in prison, and he asked for the means to commit suicide, rather than face a lifetime in jail without any prospect of release.

Giving him the means to kill himself would be tantamount to execution. Denying him this option would be pointlessly cruel. What is the right course of action?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

He’s an author who Knox about this place under a variety of unconvincing pseudonyms.
    Did he vote Leave or Tremayne?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The really interesting dilemma would be, say, if you got some awful child murderer in prison, and he asked for the means to commit suicide, rather than face a lifetime in jail without any prospect of release.

Giving him the means to kill himself would be tantamount to execution. Denying him this option would be pointlessly cruel. What is the right course of action?
    I also support legalising euthanasia.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Well with any luck it turns out the wrong person was a complete c--t anyway, so 2 for the price of 1 (see under Place, Rillington).
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited September 2020
    glw said:

No, but he talks their language, which is essentially that of a pub boor. There are strong elements of racism, mysogyny and bigotry involved, and above all there is a disdain for liberals who are so different from them and to whose values they could never aspire even if they wanted to. He's one of them, and as long as he appears to be so, they really don't care what he does or whether the reality of his Presidency relates in any way to how he portrays it and they perceive it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

At least cricket is interesting unlike trains.

*ducks*
    Ahem .......
    Never had you down as a trainspotter, Cyclefree! :smiley:
    Trains take you somewhere interesting. You can see the landscape out of them and you can have adventures when travelling in them. I love travelling by train.

Cricket, OTOH, is the dullest activity I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Send him to prison and he can stay there for life. That's the humane thing to do, not killing somebody. Doesn't matter who it is.
    Some people I would be OK with executing, but my problem is we could never design a system that didn't risk killing an innocent person and that is not OK.

Some people say "ah but what if you're 100% certain" - frankly I don't think its possible to design a system where the penalty would only apply with you being 100% certain, so I'm not, so I'm opposed.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

We use drones to execute terrorists in the field. Don't even bother trying to arrest and convict them.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

*ducks*
    Ahem .......
    Trains take you somewhere interesting. You can see the landscape out of them and you can have adventures when travelling in them. I love travelling by train.

Cricket, OTOH, is the dullest activity I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.
    I’m impressed that you’ve lived in England all this time and never once seen bowls on the TV.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

It's a work of fiction about Scottish secession.

A description it shares with this:

https://www2.gov.scot/resource/0042/00422987.pdf

• Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

Some people I would be OK with executing, but my problem is we could never design a system that didn't risk killing an innocent person and that is not OK.

Some people say "ah but what if you're 100% certain" - frankly I don't think its possible to design a system where the penalty would only apply with you being 100% certain, so I'm not, so I'm opposed.
    Spot on.

I wouldn't miss any of these murderers but the truth is - as you say - we will kill the wrong person. Then they're dead.
  • Options

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

For the terminally ill or for prisoners on demand?

I'd support it for both. Say to certain people "we will never release you, we won't kill you, but if you want to die we will facilitate it for you."
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

*ducks*
    Ahem .......

You do realise when it got a bit dull a while back they burned the stumps as a sacrificial victim. Unbelievers are likely to get a worse treatment.

• Options

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

For the terminally ill or for prisoners on demand?

I'd support it for both. Say to certain people "we will never release you, we won't kill you, but if you want to die we will facilitate it for you."
    Anyone who wants it.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

I am a bit tired of the idiocy, masquerading as cleverness, by using words like “epicene” but which does not understand the difference between what a state does in peacetime and war and why those might be different.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

The whiffs of gently simmering wee coming from you are a tonic, I must say.
    WTF does that even mean? Is it meant to be an insult? it's just weird.
    Because after years of your various personae insisting that everything was bad for the SNP, indy was dead, the Jocks reely luv the UK etc, etc, all indicators suggest the opposite. You loudly insisting that polls, Brexit, Unionist poster boys jumping ship and Scots generally despising BJ don't matter is a sure indication that all these things are, not to put too fine a point on it, boiling your piss, which is most satisfactory.
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

There are cases where you can be a 100% certain. I'm trying to think of an example where there might be an argument about it. Perhaps the brother of the Manchester bomber?
  • Options

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Selective euthanasia is a non-starter, because it degenerates instantaneously into Granny not wanting to go but not wanting to be a burden either, and her children pressuring her in a passive-aggressive way into opting out before all the inheritance goes in nursing home fees.

A Logan's Run scenario where everybody gets it at let's say 70 regardless of personal preference has a yuuuge amount to be said for it.
  • Options

glw said:

No, but he talks their language, which is essentially that of a pub boor. There are strong elements of racism, mysogyny and bigotry involved, and above all there is a disdain for liberals who are so different from them and to whose values they could never aspire even if they wanted to. He's one of them, and as long as he appears to be so, they really don't care what he does or whether the reality of his Presidency relates in any way to how he portrays it and they perceive it.
    I've starting moving a few quid onto Trump. I'll still be mainly Biden, but looking to reduce my exposure to the Orange one winning.

I don't have a good feeling on this. Just don't trust the polls.

As I noted earlier he's ahead on the economy.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

We use drones to execute terrorists in the field. Don't even bother trying to arrest and convict them.
    Exactly. I do not understand the liberal blind spot over this. The state has a monopoly on violence, up to and including the slaughter of foreign people we don't like, some innocent and unintended. Yet we recoil from the death penalty like it is some unique horror?

I am not pro-death penalty, I can see the good arguments against. But I can also see the arguments in favour. For me it can be finely balanced, at least for extreme cases (like confessed child killers)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Selective euthanasia is a non-starter, because it degenerates instantaneously into Granny not wanting to go but not wanting to be a burden either, and her children pressuring her in a passive-aggressive way into opting out before all the inheritance goes in nursing home fees.

A Logan's Run scenario where everybody gets it at let's say 70 regardless of personal preference has a yuuuge amount to be said for it.
    Anyone who wants euthanasia can have it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

I am a bit tired of the idiocy, masquerading as cleverness, by using words like “epicene” but which does not understand the difference between what a state does in peacetime and war and why those might be different.
    We use drones during peacetime, darling.
  • Options
    Well, that was amazing.

Jos Buttler stumped somebody.

Oh, and England won a cricket match as well.
  • Options
    Great win by England

Australia are Spurs tonight - toothless
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Precisely put.
    It's SHITE being a BREXITEER! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat on civilization. Some people hate the REMAINERS. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, won a referendum against wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to win a referendum against! We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Sean, and all the acceptable law-breaking in the world won't make any fucking difference!
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Because after years of your various personae insisting that everything was bad for the SNP, indy was dead, the Jocks reely luv the UK etc, etc, all indicators suggest the opposite. You loudly insisting that polls, Brexit, Unionist poster boys jumping ship and Scots generally despising BJ don't matter is a sure indication that all these things are, not to put too fine a point on it, boiling your piss, which is most satisfactory.
    Er, OK.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Well with any luck it turns out the wrong person was a complete c--t anyway, so 2 for the price of 1 (see under Place, Rillington).
    The trouble with the Hislop statement is whilst I would agree with it totally, I am pretty sure it's a reasonable bet that plenty of voters would say it is better to execute 99 police murderers and terrorists and one innocent person, rather than put 100 people in prison and eventually let the innocent one out.

Maybe I have too jaundiced view of my fellow Brit.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Er, OK.
    You must think we're idiots, honestly I feel sorry for you Sean
  • Options
    All out. :mrgreen: 🏏
    tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

There are cases where you can be a 100% certain. I'm trying to think of an example where there might be an argument about it. Perhaps the brother of the Manchester bomber?
    There may be cases, but there are no systems where you can be 100%. Once you cross the rubicon you will have some cases where even though you think you are 100% but turn out to be wrong later on.

But I'd say to people like him he'll never be released and we will let him end his life if he wants to, but otherwise no. We can't be certain that we are certain.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1305237349375315968

I think fines should be a proportion of income, to be honest
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Anyone who wants euthanasia can have it.
    Naaah, execute every last one of the muthas. Only way to be sure.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

*ducks*
    Ahem .......

I’m impressed that you’ve lived in England all this time and never once seen bowls on the TV.
    They had a streaker once at the bowls.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

The trouble with the Hislop statement is whilst I would agree with it totally, I am pretty sure it's a reasonable bet that plenty of voters would say it is better to execute 99 police murderers and terrorists and one innocent person, rather than put 100 people in prison and eventually let the innocent one out.

Maybe I have too jaundiced view of my fellow Brit.
    Better to let 100 guilty people go free than to execute an innocent.

But we don't need to let anyone go free - just incarcerate them without possibility of parole. Problem solved.
  • Options

All out. :mrgreen: 🏏

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Hitler?

There may be cases, but there are no systems where you can be 100%. Once you cross the rubicon you will have some cases where even though you think you are 100% but turn out to be wrong later on.

But I'd say to people like him he'll never be released and we will let him end his life if he wants to, but otherwise no. We can't be certain that we are certain.
    I don't see much moral difference between execution and allowing guilt-ridden prisoners the right to and means to take their own lives, via, say, lethal drugs.

Isn't that just execution by proxy?
  • Options

Better not doing it in the first place to be fair
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

He's one of them, and as long as he appears to be so, they really don't care what he does or whether the reality of his Presidency relates in any way to how he portrays it and they perceive it.

But he's not "one of them" and he does not "appear to be so". It's bonkers. Trump has never been "Joe Sixpack" or claimed to be. He claims to be a highly successful businessman worth billions. He doesn't go to church, he doesn't drink, he doesn't seem much interested in sports, he's never had anything approaching a normal job, he's a multiple times draft dodger, he was a registered Democrat, and he's from New York.

How can any normal middle-of-the-road American from a "flyover state" think that Donald Trump is one of them? He's the very thing they ought to be against.
  • Options

Better not doing it in the first place to be fair
    I am not opposed to the punishment, I think the value of it for a student is absurd
  • Options

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Cummins gone

And another gone

lol
    The writing style is the same, his personality changes depending on the day, as do his views.
    Yesterday evening he was channeling his inner Robespierre.
This discussion has been closed.