Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where is the Democratic Tea Party?

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

On a note of concern today's positive cases were proportionally high with the details potentially dangerous.

Now given the pubs opened a week ago that might just be a factor.

Or maybe not.

A close watch will have to be made on the testing numbers for the next few days.

Now if the opening of pubs did have an effect then the government policy of encouraging people to visit them might need to change and would mean that masks in shops is an even more stupid idea.

On better news new cases in the Bournemouth area remain minimal - further suggesting that outside activities are low risk.

Still not understanding your argument that masks in shops is a ‘stupid idea’.
    Would you care to explain it ?
    There was a scientist on BBC Breakfast arguing that the government might be shifting towards encouraging the wearing of masks to make nervous people feel safer about shopping.

Personally I think it will have the opposite affect and will reduce the propensity for people to go out as there are plenty of people who won't want to wear a mask so just won't bother.
    How does your difference of opinion make it a stupid idea ?
    I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not it's a stupid idea. I appreciate that there probably is a decent benefit from people wearing masks. The problem is this. No one is brave enough to tell the plebs that they need to accept that we cannot eradicate it and that we need to get back to "normal".

For months we have been saying on here that the big challenge is getting people to go back to normal. There are some people who would rather stay at home than go to the pub/football/shops and wear a mask.
    With good government messaging, there would be a great deal more who would be more comfortable about being in indoor public places if everyone were wearing masks.
    Probably. Though many seem to simultaneously believe no one listens to this shower of a government anyway, and yet that the government would be utterly trusted and therefore followed if it used slightly better words.
    About right - and besides, most of the people who are still very anxious about going outside, despite how little of the disease there is left in circulation in most of the country, aren't going to be influenced by the extent of mask wearing anyway. They're going to stay at home regardless, unless absolutely compelled to go out, for the remainder of their lives or until there's a fully effective vaccine (whichever comes first.) Therefore, if the rationale for getting everyone to wear masks the whole time is to placate them, it's a monumental waste of time and effort.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

Starmer priority must be to achieve 40% consistently, still work to do on that Lib Dem and Green vote

Labour needs a LibDem revival more than anything.

Taking from Tory vote indeed - but those voters are currently still with the Tories. Presumably because Brexit has not yet been a disaster
    That is right. If the Conservative Party is polling higher than 35% this time next year I will genuinely be shocked. You have a Tory s""tshow double bill coming down the track. If post-Covid isn't a rerun of the 1930s I'd be surprised. Add to that the Brexit dividend and you have the ingredients for a heady cocktail of economic catastrophe.

For once in my life I am hoping it works out for Johnson, otherwise we are all screwed. I can't see it though.

Incumbents always get the blame.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    nichomar said:

It’s actually quite interesting how the pandemic has made many countries insular. There is real carnage in many places around the world and it hardly gets a mention. There is going to be one hell of a mess to be cleared up after this is over and it will make Europe’s problems seem insignificant.

I think autarky and protectionism are the next phase in the economic downward spiral. 1930s revisited...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964

dixiedean said:

Those are shocking figures re registered Republicans. When I was at Uni in the late eighties with a large number of Americans, there were several surprising Republicans.
    Many of them would have been comfortable in the LDs.

A long term legacy of the civil war.

As well as the standard centre-right types the Republicans also had liberals from New England and hillbillies from Appalachia.

Whereas the Democrats had KKK supporters from the South along with standard centre-left types.
    They also dominated the West Coast in those days too. My Godfather, a gay, liberal, borderline pacifist Californian was a staunch Republican believing it was best for business. You can't see that happening these days.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Starmer priority must be to achieve 40% consistently, still work to do on that Lib Dem and Green vote

The net result of everything that's happened since the election (according to the polls, which granted aren't worth very much) is that Labour has eaten a third of the Lib Dem vote plus the "never Tory" residuum of the Brexit Party's support. The Conservative share is completely stable and the Lib Dems seem further from any kind of "revival" than ever before.

Labour supporters really need to stop praying that the completely moribund Liberal Democrats will somehow take just enough seats off the Tories to permit a wobbly as anything rainbow coalition to take over, and work out how to get large numbers of Con-to-Lab switchers on side. If Labour can't present itself plausibly as a potential majority party again, then it's going to find itself perpetually crippled by association with the SNP with all that entails. The rest is noise.
    Let us see what a deep recession does to the Tory vote.Perhaps worth pointing out too that one effect of the 2015 electoral earhquake in Scotland has been to knock circa 2% off Labour's GB vote share . Thus, in terms of England & Wales 38% today is likely to be the equivalent of 40% pre-2015.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I am pleased to see that India now has a Coronavirus cure...

Can't be any worse than the Trumpist stuff.

What's it like to drink? A Scot asks.
    If anything like other Indian whisky, suitable only for an absolute emergency...
    I.e. cleaning wounds!

My first and last experience of Indian whiskey was ‘White Horse’ in Mount Abu. It was hideous, but I supped down a couple of tots purely to be polite.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2020
    The only thing surprising about the polling is why anyone thought Labour would be ahead. The governments performance has been flawed, but we’re still in the middle of a national crisis. Any reckoning comes later.

Starmer needs to remember that the role of opposition in a crisis is to strike the difficult line of helpful critic.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    Yup there's been a steady uptick in the LD vote share since he's been back in charge - oh wait no- there's been the sum total of nada!
    Davey is far more likely to pull across Tory voters than Moran is
    I agree but so far he hasn't made a dent.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

If anything like other Indian whisky, suitable only for an absolute emergency...
    I.e. cleaning wounds!

My first and last experience of Indian whiskey was ‘White Horse’ in Mount Abu. It was hideous, but I supped down a couple of tots purely to be polite.
    When I stayed in the Ahmednaggar Club, about 1995, it was a real Imperial relic. There was a "permit room" where alcohol was served. Bizarrely it was decorated with garish wild west murals. The whisky was truly appalling, but the beer was fine. I think the billiards table had not been re-baized in decades.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    Yup there's been a steady uptick in the LD vote share since he's been back in charge - oh wait no- there's been the sum total of nada!
    Its policies which will make much more of a difference rather than the leader right now.

Drug legislation is one of the main one the LD should go for. It would put Sir Keir in a tougher spot.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,348
    isam said:

Opinium showing 4 point lead, they were most accurate at last election.

I think lead is probably 4-6 points, YG is outlier

You Gov have been almost exactly the same as the average of all polls since Starmer took over at Labour, never at the extremes of either party's score. Why are people so keen to dismiss them?
    because it suits the left to assume its only 4pts. Southam Observer suggested 10 points was liveable with yesterday, when I pointed out it was 10 POINTS (after all the guff talked about Starmer surge) which was huge, I was accused of "PB Tory" triumphalism. You cannot win. POlls will be all over the place.. wait till 2022 before worrying about them again....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Doesn't 6% represent rock-bottom for the LDs?
    Not far off. Aside from the committed, you've got the ones on the left who live in LD seats (OK not so many These days) and those where Labour are a distant third.
    Not much left to squeeze methinks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    Scott_xP said:
    Now we are talking! Street fighting Biden.

This is gonna be brutal.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    LibDems to elect Arthur Dent?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    Keep up to date, young Felix! The Lib Dem election is not due to be declared until the end of August. "Back in charge"? If Davey win this internal election, he will be Lib Dem leader for the first time.....

Quiz time.... What does Ed Davey have in common with Ed Balls and Ken Clark?
  • Options
    What is more. As long as the Tories continue to convince c.45% of the population to support them it doesn't matter a fig what Starmer does or doesn't do.
    They'll still win.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,348

felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    LibDems to elect Arthur Dent?
    ....might do better with Arthur "two sheds" Jackson.
  • Options

felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    Its policies which will make much more of a difference rather than the leader right now.

Drug legislation is one of the main one the LD should go for. It would put Sir Keir in a tougher spot.
    Decriminalisation yes, but I quit the party if legalisation is advocated.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529
    Andy_JS said:

It's difficult to understand how the SNP can be as high as 6% in a GB-wide poll. They were on 4% at GE2019 when they polled 45% in Scotland.
    All the SNP votes come from a small proportion (under 10%) of the whole UK sample so are liable to higher random variation from the norm than national parties - effectively it's a subset, if that's the word I want.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Now we are talking! Street fighting Biden.

This is gonna be brutal.
    Biden is good at this stuff. Even when functioning at brainstem level he knows how to get under Trumps skin.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited July 2020

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

On a note of concern today's positive cases were proportionally high with the details potentially dangerous.

Now given the pubs opened a week ago that might just be a factor.

Or maybe not.

A close watch will have to be made on the testing numbers for the next few days.

Now if the opening of pubs did have an effect then the government policy of encouraging people to visit them might need to change and would mean that masks in shops is an even more stupid idea.

On better news new cases in the Bournemouth area remain minimal - further suggesting that outside activities are low risk.

Still not understanding your argument that masks in shops is a ‘stupid idea’.
    Would you care to explain it ?
    There was a scientist on BBC Breakfast arguing that the government might be shifting towards encouraging the wearing of masks to make nervous people feel safer about shopping.

Personally I think it will have the opposite affect and will reduce the propensity for people to go out as there are plenty of people who won't want to wear a mask so just won't bother.
    How does your difference of opinion make it a stupid idea ?
    I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not it's a stupid idea. I appreciate that there probably is a decent benefit from people wearing masks. The problem is this. No one is brave enough to tell the plebs that they need to accept that we cannot eradicate it and that we need to get back to "normal".

For months we have been saying on here that the big challenge is getting people to go back to normal. There are some people who would rather stay at home than go to the pub/football/shops and wear a mask.
    With good government messaging, there would be a great deal more who would be more comfortable about being in indoor public places if everyone were wearing masks.
    Probably. Though many seem to simultaneously believe no one listens to this shower of a government anyway, and yet that the government would be utterly trusted and therefore followed if it used slightly better words.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Spent a night and a couple of days down in Cornwall. Happy to say, hospitality seems to be coping OK with the virus down there. Only people seen wearing masks are serving staff. Two fabulous quality lunches, one rather disastrous dinner last night at a chi-chi hotel where I would have expected far better. Can't remember when I last sent a meal back - donkey's years - but something had gone horribly wrong with the salted fish. Not much fish, a plateful of salt....

The Good Lady's panacotta wouldn't have registered a wobble if you'd dynamited it.

Despite being very good to us on one other thing, they have clearly not got back up and running yet to their own very high standards, fair to say.

However, foody trip salvaged today with the best lobster she'd ever had. Bar none. Rick Stein's St. Petroc Bistro. Very highly recommended. No dip in quality there during lockdown.

Still, bloody lovely to be out and about, having food prepared by somebody else. And not having to load the dish-washer after. And the weather was sublime. So we are in good spirits tonight.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Scott_xP said:
    Hes a madman who does a dozen bad things every day. Does he really need to be criticised for taking the only exercise he does when he is obese and in a desk job? Surely he is likely to perform even worse if he does literally nothing but watch fox news and tweet.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    dixiedean said:

What is more. As long as the Tories continue to convince c.45% of the population to support them it doesn't matter a fig what Starmer does or doesn't do.
    They'll still win.

To be honest I really do not think all this 'woke' and identity narrative is helping labour at all, especially in the red wall seats

Demands for Land of Hope and Glory and Britannia to be banned at the proms will not go down well either in these areas
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938

Hes a madman who does a dozen bad things every day. Does he really need to be criticised for taking the only exercise he does when he is obese and in a desk job? Surely he is likely to perform even worse if he does literally nothing but watch fox news and tweet.

Donald Trump has tweeted about golf at least 460 times since creating his Twitter account in 2009.

He’s promoted the courses he owns, praised the game as a source of mental and physical development, critiqued other courses, and bragged about whom he’s playing with.

Between 2011 and 2016, he also tweeted at least 27 complaints, jokes, or scoldings about Barack Obama playing golf while president.

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2017/3/27/15073086/donald-trump-tweets-barack-obama-golf
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Donald Trump has tweeted about golf at least 460 times since creating his Twitter account in 2009.

He’s promoted the courses he owns, praised the game as a source of mental and physical development, critiqued other courses, and bragged about whom he’s playing with.

Between 2011 and 2016, he also tweeted at least 27 complaints, jokes, or scoldings about Barack Obama playing golf while president.

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2017/3/27/15073086/donald-trump-tweets-barack-obama-golf
    I know. And it is not in the top 500 things he should be criticised for.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Scott_xP said:
    Did you see the golf carts? It’s not even a good walk spoiled.
  • Options

it is not in the top 500 things he should be criticised for.

It is in the top 5 things Trump cares about, which is why it is so effective
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Did you see the golf carts? It’s not even a good walk spoiled.
    I dont think its unusual in a late seventies obese golfer. Better than no exercise!
  • Options
    Scott do you comment or just post Twitter
  • Options

Scott do you comment or just post Twitter

Yes
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

it is not in the top 500 things he should be criticised for.

It is in the top 5 things Trump cares about, which is why it is so effective
    Do you want to make a madman feel bad? Or spend time convincing others not to vote for the madman? I know it should be obvious not to, but it in real life thats what needs to be done.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

Taking from Tory vote indeed - but those voters are currently still with the Tories. Presumably because Brexit has not yet been a disaster
    That is right. If the Conservative Party is polling higher than 35% this time next year I will genuinely be shocked. You have a Tory s""tshow double bill coming down the track. If post-Covid isn't a rerun of the 1930s I'd be surprised. Add to that the Brexit dividend and you have the ingredients for a heady cocktail of economic catastrophe.

For once in my life I am hoping it works out for Johnson, otherwise we are all screwed. I can't see it though.

Incumbents always get the blame.
    Yes, the Conservatives will do well to be polling more than 35% in the latter half of 2021, as reality bites in its many forms. It is possible that Sunak could defer the pain of economic retrenchment until 2022 in which case they might still be polling a bit above that but with a further fall to come. I don't see any way that they could pursue expansionary fiscal policies all the way to the 2024 GE.

The 10% YouGov Conservative poll lead came on the back of polling conducted on the very evening of the mini budget and the morning after (ie. fieldwork: Wednesday and Thursday). Lots of goodies for everyone, no pain for anyone. How long can that last? It's meaningless unless the next General Election is held on the day after another £30bn budget giveaway.

I think for Starmer to already be within 4% with Opinium (fieldwork: Thursday and Friday) is still a stunningly good recovery for Labour in the circumstances. There wasn't even a swing back to the Conservatives compared to a week earlier.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    edited July 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Are we now double tweeting the same tweet ????
  • Options
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Are we now double tweeting the same tweet ????
    More interestingly, further down that front page. Ministers telling workers to get back on buses and trains.
    Seems they've decided February was a veritable Golden Age...all back to work exactly as before.
    Nothing has changed.
    Except it has.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I.e. cleaning wounds!

White Horse is a Scotch whisky!

Indian whisky can be ok - the proper stuff. There is one called Paul John (I think) that is meant to be nice. It matures very quickly due to the hot climate, so you'll never see a very aged one.

That looks like shite - the Indian component isn't even whisky but 'grain spirit'. :anguished:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nichomar said:

It’s actually quite interesting how the pandemic has made many countries insular. There is real carnage in many places around the world and it hardly gets a mention. There is going to be one hell of a mess to be cleared up after this is over and it will make Europe’s problems seem insignificant.

I think autarky and protectionism are the next phase in the economic downward spiral. 1930s revisited...
    Our economy didn't spiral downward in the 1930s.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ClippP said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    Keep up to date, young Felix! The Lib Dem election is not due to be declared until the end of August. "Back in charge"? If Davey win this internal election, he will be Lib Dem leader for the first time.....

Quiz time.... What does Ed Davey have in common with Ed Balls and Ken Clark?
    Nottingham High School.

Edit: I believe the two Eds were there at same time.
  • Options
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    How do you think they will help?
  • Options
    We already had free ports.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2020
    This seems to be a long-term signal from Sunak / Boris that there'll be a return to a more Thatcherite component of policy.

Personally I'd be extremely dubious of the wisdom of largeish tax cuts at the moment, depending also , though , on where they're targeted.
  • Options
    Jesus how hard is it for the Tories (and Labour) to understand: BUILD MORE HOUSES
  • Options

I think they'll create jobs and stimulate investment.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Jesus how hard is it for the Tories (and Labour) to understand: BUILD MORE HOUSES

The modern religion -

- people are bad
    - the works of people are bad
    - the countryside is sacred

And then they wonder why it is that more houses aren't available.
  • Options
    So where is the money coming from Rishi?

Massive deficit + tax cuts?

If this was Labour people would be calling out this tripe
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Spent a night and a couple of days down in Cornwall. Happy to say, hospitality seems to be coping OK with the virus down there. Only people seen wearing masks are serving staff. Two fabulous quality lunches, one rather disastrous dinner last night at a chi-chi hotel where I would have expected far better. Can't remember when I last sent a meal back - donkey's years - but something had gone horribly wrong with the salted fish. Not much fish, a plateful of salt....

The Good Lady's panacotta wouldn't have registered a wobble if you'd dynamited it.

Despite being very good to us on one other thing, they have clearly not got back up and running yet to their own very high standards, fair to say.

However, foody trip salvaged today with the best lobster she'd ever had. Bar none. Rick Stein's St. Petroc Bistro. Very highly recommended. No dip in quality there during lockdown.

Still, bloody lovely to be out and about, having food prepared by somebody else. And not having to load the dish-washer after. And the weather was sublime. So we are in good spirits tonight.

Good to hear. I am headed Cornwall way next weekend.
  • Options
    England case data out -

• Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I.e. cleaning wounds!

Can't be worse that Mount Everest Whisky from Nepal.
  • Options

Spectator running a piece this weekend on the dangers of Tory magic money tree. Senior MPs wondering why they stood on a 'there's no magic money tree' manifesto to see that there is now a magic forest.

Plus, Toynbee in Guardian reports that IFS have a wealth tax commission up and running with some big names and serious tax and law experts looking at blocking loopholes. And the Treasury are very interested.

Make of all this what you will.
  • Options
    England case data down to low level authority -

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    felix said:

FF43 said:

The choice is stark. If you rate decency and competence you vote for Starmer. If you vote for the corrupt and incompetent charlatan, it's because you don't actually care. Not enough people care, so Johnson sits pretty.

I see we're back to blaming the voters for being shite... in your opinion.
    I don't blame voters for being shite. I point out that as long as honesty, competence and decency are unimportant to a large part of the electorate, Starmer's chances of becoming PM are small. Honesty, competence and decency are his offer, in contrast to Johnson.
  • Options

Why did they not before?
  • Options

The modern religion -

- people are bad

Are they not available, or are they just not available where people want them? Coronavirus has surely shown us that a two up two down within commuter range of London doesn't really make sense. 'We spend £500,000 on a semi in Surbiton - let's spend it on a Castle in Scotland instead.'
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,603
    edited July 2020

What about the Green Belt? It's the only thing stopping most towns in the south-east of England from merging into one another in a giant urban sprawl.
  • Options

The modern religion -

- people are bad

Are they not available, or are they just not available where people want them? Coronavirus has surely shown us that a two up two down within commuter range of London doesn't really make sense. 'We spend £500,000 on a semi in Surbiton - let's spend it on a Castle in Scotland instead.'
    But people are evil.
  • Options

The modern religion -

- people are bad

Or perhaps a pebbledash in Hartlepool. Get the Prosperity in the Purple wall is the key to the next GE, not sucking more wealth generating opportunities into the SE.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

What about the Green Belt? It's the only thing stopping most towns in the south-east of England from merging into one another in a giant urban sprawl.
    Plenty of the south-east has no green belt.

• Options

Why did they not before?
    Because they were subject to EU rules and regulations particularly on state aid, meaning 'free zones' are not really worthy of the name.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The modern religion -

- people are bad

Or perhaps a pebbledash in Hartlepool. Get the Prosperity in the Purple wall is the key to the next GE, not sucking more wealth generating opportunities into the SE.
    I am sure there are delightful properties in Hartlepool, especially compared to what the same outlay could get you in the Home counties.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,603
    "PETER HITCHENS: Forget face masks and fear - let's relax and accept the risk"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8513543/PETER-HITCHENS-Forget-face-masks-fear-lets-relax-accept-risk.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Unfortunately people don't like houses being built in practice, only in theory, and things seem to combine to cause problems both from the NIMBY end and the developer greed end.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The modern religion -

- people are bad

I am sure there are delightful properties in Hartlepool, especially compared to what the same outlay could get you in the Home counties.
    Absolutely. But that is where the investment is needed, not the SE.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The modern religion -

- people are badAgr

Absolutely. But that is where the investment is needed, not the SE.
    Agree!
  • Options

The modern religion -

- people are bad

It's not coming from anywhere. The ultimate kicking the can down the road. An extraordinary situation requires that to some degree no doubt, without implying that it is something that should happen as a matter of course normally, but I'm terrified of just how bad things are going to be for a long long time.
  • Options

The modern religion -

- people are bad

I'm sure there'll be an effect, but I wonder how pronounced it will be. People already knew your money goes further in other places, and even with more converts to home working and so on there will in the first place be plenty who don't want to do that, and also plenty who even if they do, won't want to go quite that far afield just in case they do want to get out and about locally.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Hope you all followed Andy Holding today
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    No, he is certain to perform worse if he does anything other than nothing. Everything he touches causes a disaster, so better for him to touch nothing at all.

So Trump playing golf is the lesser of every evil you could think of. But he still deserves criticism for his golfing habit, because he's a serial cheat.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/02/donald-trump-golf-28-club-championships
  • Options

WTF is going on in rural Herefordshire? 56 cases out of nowhere yesterday.
  • Options

Historic cases being entered?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8513543/PETER-HITCHENS-Forget-face-masks-fear-lets-relax-accept-risk.html

Does he truly believe his contrarianism?

Advocating that a subset of society should be able to sign away their responsibilities to the whole seems bizarre. Just because they've abrogated any medical treatment if they catch the bug does not mean they won't be spreading it around those who took a more selfless choice.

Look at America. Libertarians decrying the lock down and placing full responsibility on the person, seem not to understand that epidemiology does not respect the right of Peter and friends to exhale freely in the presence of the like minded.

His ideology seems translucent when a collective effort is required to mitigate this. If everyone took Peter's approach why wouldn't the UK look just like Florida, Arizona, or Texas?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Andy_JS said:

Isn’t it funny? Both sides, those who think the lockdown was too light and too late in being imposed, and those who think it was a completely unnecessary imposition, both eager for the enquiry to prove them right
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Andy_JS said:

It's difficult to understand how the SNP can be as high as 6% in a GB-wide poll.
    Must be due to rounding upwards as 50% equated to 4.9% in 2015.
    keep hoping its not true, down to fact people have seen the light. The arseholes in charge of England are forcing big changes.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:
    At least they mentioned the SNP - which is more than some polls bother to do.

Hope you are keeping well. Been cloudy with some sun over in the east - very pleasant actually.
    Hello Carnyx, not bad here , bit breezy , not bad but not great, I got the garden sorted out. Had a great day mind you , hope all well with you.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,812
    Foxy said:

SAS back at barracks?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I.e. cleaning wounds!

Indian whisky can be ok - the proper stuff. There is one called Paul John (I think) that is meant to be nice. It matures very quickly due to the hot climate, so you'll never see a very aged one.

That looks like shite - the Indian component isn't even whisky but 'grain spirit'. :anguished:
    Maybe so but this was ‘White Horse’ not White Horse and was an Indian beverage - and we are talking 20-odd years ago!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

It's difficult to understand how the SNP can be as high as 6% in a GB-wide poll. They were on 4% at GE2019 when they polled 45% in Scotland.
    All the SNP votes come from a small proportion (under 10%) of the whole UK sample so are liable to higher random variation from the norm than national parties - effectively it's a subset, if that's the word I want.
    LOL, keep on praying, the union is dead.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I.e. cleaning wounds!

Maybe so but this was ‘White Horse’ not White Horse and was an Indian beverage - and we are talking 20-odd years ago!
    I can believe that. India is pretty notorious for its copycat brands. 'Johnny Worker' etc. :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    To be fair, I suspect that Moran and Davey are talking to the members of the Liberal Democrat Party right now. If you had a membership card, you'd probably have heard from the both many times.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Foxy said:

SAS back at barracks?
    At a random guess - a case or 2 followed by a zillion pillar 2 tests. Apparently in Leicester you have to run like Jackie Chan to avoid a test now...

Either that or a subset of SeanTs were in the neighbourhood.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    Andy_JS said:

You don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear a mask to protect your parents and your grandparents, and because a little collective action allows us all to relax a little earlier.
  • Options
    The global picture for coronavirus does not look good at all.

• Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I.e. cleaning wounds!

I can believe that. India is pretty notorious for its copycat brands. 'Johnny Worker' etc. :lol:
    😆
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

You don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear a mask to protect your parents and your grandparents, and because a little collective action allows us all to relax a little earlier.
    Hitchens is only one level away from questioning whether viruses even exist.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,282

The modern religion -

- people are bad

But people are evil.
    "Well it's true! It's true! You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens’ parents and grandparents were unavailable for comment
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    kle4 said:

Unfortunately people don't like houses being built in practice, only in theory, and things seem to combine to cause problems both from the NIMBY end and the developer greed end.
    Yes, house building is like tax rises. Everyone is in favour of as long as it doesn’t affect them.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366

Andy_JS said:

Does he truly believe his contrarianism?

Advocating that a subset of society should be able to sign away their responsibilities to the whole seems bizarre. Just because they've abrogated any medical treatment if they catch the bug does not mean they won't be spreading it around those who took a more selfless choice.

Look at America. Libertarians decrying the lock down and placing full responsibility on the person, seem not to understand that epidemiology does not respect the right of Peter and friends to exhale freely in the presence of the like minded.

His ideology seems translucent when a collective effort is required to mitigate this. If everyone took Peter's approach why wouldn't the UK look just like Florida, Arizona, or Texas?
    The longer this goes on the more people will focus on their own self-interests. Devoting one's life to preventing coronavirus transmission may appeal to many people for a few months, but once the time extends into years people will go back to dealing with their own personal priorities. If all you do with your life is prevent a virus transmitting, you have wasted your life. We only live once. Many people are doing nothing but thinking and talking about the virus. This is not natural, and I don't think it will last given that a high proportion of people who are infected by it survive and recover in a few days.

However the epidemic has caused a huge psychological shock to a society in which many people are not accustomed to taking any personal risks. In fact taking personal risks is actively discouraged by all kinds of legislation and organisations. This is why the epidemic has been so hard to deal with. Personal risk-taking should not be spoken of. The NHS is sacred. The virus should not be approached. Maybe it is too soon for cultural anthropologists to be asked to contribute to SAGE discussions. They may have to wait until the crisis has passed to contribute their perspective.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    To be fair, I suspect that Moran and Davey are talking to the members of the Liberal Democrat Party right now. If you had a membership card, you'd probably have heard from the both many times.
    Not yet from either, but nominations have just officially closed. Something from Mark Pack with a list of hustings.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey

Decriminalisation yes, but I quit the party if legalisation is advocated.
    Decriminalisation is pointless. What advantages does it have over legalisation?

Surely with legalisation we need to legalise and regulate the entire supply chain. From field to sale. Get it completely out of the hands of gangsters.

Less than that: why bother?
This discussion has been closed.