Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where is the Democratic Tea Party?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited July 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where is the Democratic Tea Party?

There is no doubt that President Trump is keen to make the Presidential election a referendum on ‘woke’, on the topping of statues, and on the Democratic party being in hock to a far left faction.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,036
    Like Biden?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The Dems had a chance to turn the Occupy Wall Street moment into their Tea Party but they declined.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Those are shocking figures re registered Republicans. When I was at Uni in the late eighties with a large number of Americans, there were several surprising Republicans.
    Many of them would have been comfortable in the LDs.
  • Options
    Evening. Hope you're all well and enjoying the slightly warmer weather today.

I had a nice 11K ish (loop) run this morning, now lounging around before I cook a Hello Fresh meal this evening :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    I read on 538 that Never Trump Republicans have been crucial in ensuring that left wing Democrats aren't winning Senatorial primaries.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,885
    What's amazing about the leader ratings now, as opposed to the 2017-2019 period, is that all the leaders are liked. Check out the seas of red for May, Corbyn, Swinson, Cable, and Sturgeon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership_approval_opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019_2

That's what you get for boring on about Brexit!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,160

I had a nice 11K ish (loop) run this morning, now lounging around before I cook a Hello Fresh meal this evening :)

It's warm. Then it clouds over and the wind makes it feel arctic
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,371
    dixiedean said:

Those are shocking figures re registered Republicans. When I was at Uni in the late eighties with a large number of Americans, there were several surprising Republicans.

Names and places :-)

In the USA a significant number of Quakers are Evangelical, whilst over here they are generally more woke than a guard dog on benzedrine.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,576
    edited July 2020
    FPT

What I don't get is Johnson switching from "work at home if you can" to "go to the office if you can". Let's say the risk is now zero. What is the reason of state to cause the prime minister to urge one working arrangement or another? What's it got to do with him whether X resumes an hour-long commute on possibly crowded transport or not? Shouldn't it be up to X and X's employer?

There was much discussion of this yesterday. My take is that Johnson anticipates a major slump and an attendant unemployment spike in all the urban cores which the commuters have abandoned. There's no future for the landlords of office blocks, the cleaners and other contractors that service them, and the providers of all sorts of other services in those areas (gyms, sandwich shops and cafes, bars and restaurants) if most of the offices are no longer needed.

It won't work, of course. As you suggest, businesses that have found they can do without their offices and workers who have been liberated from the misery of commuting aren't going to artificially recreate the economy of February 2020 just to make the Government's life easier. And even those businesses that do want their workers to start commuting again can only operate at a fraction of their former capacity, because social distancing.

The Government is clearly afraid of a situation in which, come the Autumn, some kind of modest economic recovery is underway, but the TV news crews are able to visit places like the City of London and Canary Wharf and film the metaphorical tumbleweeds rolling down the streets. These will then be accompanied by interviews with the bankrupted owners of bars, sandwich joints and cleaning contractors and their unemployed workers. "What are you doing about this?", the question will be asked of ministers. Giving a satisfactory answer will be challenging. Once it becomes obvious that these areas are largely surplus to requirements and end up economically bombed out, then what can they do apart from dole out benefits?
    But that's the paradox.

The government claims that it wants to get activity and power out of the metropolis. Here's a heaven-sent opportunity to do it.

And they're fluffing it.
    I suppose it's been Tory policy for decades to pump up the City (including Isle of Dogs etc.) financial quarter - Mrs T started it. I went to visit friends in Rotherhithe when changing jobs and moving back home to Scotland in 1993 and had a wander around the [edit] Dogs area - I was stunned by the amount of money being spent there. (And seeing Hartlepool and Sedgefield the next year just drove the point home.)

Now it's turning into the equivalent of Pripyat. A monument to the Conservative Party's absolutely dominant policy for the UK economy for my entire adult life. Not easy for even Mr Johnson to dismiss.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Sean_F said:

I read on 538 that Never Trump Republicans have been crucial in ensuring that left wing Democrats aren't winning Senatorial primaries.

That's interesting, and it's resulting in an incredibly moderate set of Democrats potentially heading to the Senate.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,347
    Carnyx said:

FPT

What I don't get is Johnson switching from "work at home if you can" to "go to the office if you can". Let's say the risk is now zero. What is the reason of state to cause the prime minister to urge one working arrangement or another? What's it got to do with him whether X resumes an hour-long commute on possibly crowded transport or not? Shouldn't it be up to X and X's employer?

There was much discussion of this yesterday. My take is that Johnson anticipates a major slump and an attendant unemployment spike in all the urban cores which the commuters have abandoned. There's no future for the landlords of office blocks, the cleaners and other contractors that service them, and the providers of all sorts of other services in those areas (gyms, sandwich shops and cafes, bars and restaurants) if most of the offices are no longer needed.

It won't work, of course. As you suggest, businesses that have found they can do without their offices and workers who have been liberated from the misery of commuting aren't going to artificially recreate the economy of February 2020 just to make the Government's life easier. And even those businesses that do want their workers to start commuting again can only operate at a fraction of their former capacity, because social distancing.

The Government is clearly afraid of a situation in which, come the Autumn, some kind of modest economic recovery is underway, but the TV news crews are able to visit places like the City of London and Canary Wharf and film the metaphorical tumbleweeds rolling down the streets. These will then be accompanied by interviews with the bankrupted owners of bars, sandwich joints and cleaning contractors and their unemployed workers. "What are you doing about this?", the question will be asked of ministers. Giving a satisfactory answer will be challenging. Once it becomes obvious that these areas are largely surplus to requirements and end up economically bombed out, then what can they do apart from dole out benefits?
    But that's the paradox.

The government claims that it wants to get activity and power out of the metropolis. Here's a heaven-sent opportunity to do it.

And they're fluffing it.
    I suppose it's been Tory policy for decades to pump up the City (including Isle of Dogs etc.) financial quarter - Mrs T started it. I went to visit friends in Rotherhithe when changing jobs and moving back home to Scotland in 1993 and had a wander around the [edit] Dogs area - I was stunned by the amount of money being spent there. (And seeing Hartlepool and Sedgefield the next year just drove the point home.)

Now it's turning into the equivalent of Pripyat. A monument to the Conservative Party's absolutely dominant policy for the UK economy for my entire adult life. Not easy for even Mr Johnson to dismiss.

Hence the BoJo paradox. What Boris wants, more than anything, is to be liked, hence the shameless populism. But his final ascent to office depends on Gove and Cummings, who have a radical reform agenda that will make the PM unpopular. They don't care about such niceties. What happens next?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited July 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That's interesting, and it's resulting in an incredibly moderate set of Democrats potentially heading to the Senate.
    Anything that enables a return from the polarisation and partisanship of the last 20 years would be fantastic. Even if it means a lot of the left will be disappointed. The question is whether Republican senators can find away to return to sanity or are too far gone or reliant on the Trump base for their political futures.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,490
    Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

No easy answers. For London to become part of normal UK again property prices would have to something like halve; it would have to be possible to recreate a middling sort of middle class within London; and there would have to be greater opportunity outside London, and (comparatively) less opportunity within it. This crisis permits a possibility of returning London from an exotic independent republic (from the point of view of those not living near it) to the capital of the UK. The political risks would be immense.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

Agree with Nick that it's not up to the PM to tell people to go to their offices, and that more working from home would be a good thing.

That said, in the short term the only rebalancing would be from the metropolis to its commuter belt, and a lot of struggling service sector workers would lose out.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

No easy answers. For London to become part of normal UK again property prices would have to something like halve; it would have to be possible to recreate a middling sort of middle class within London; and there would have to be greater opportunity outside London, and (comparatively) less opportunity within it. This crisis permits a possibility of returning London from an exotic independent republic (from the point of view of those not living near it) to the capital of the UK. The political risks would be immense.

It is risky, but the current model of London has nothing to offer to anyone between the oligarchy and those in social housing. That can't carry on forever.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112
    Having fought their way back into this match England have thrown it away again. To be honest England don't deserve anything out of this match and the Windies have bowled well, Gabriel especially. I honestly thought Pope was a genuine find for England after SA but he's been poor in this game.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

Agree with Nick that it's not up to the PM to tell people to go to their offices, and that more working from home would be a good thing.

That said, in the short term the only rebalancing would be from the metropolis to its commuter belt, and a lot of struggling service sector workers would lose out.
    It's not up to the PM to tell people to go to their offices, but equally the Government isn't obliged to force employers to accept workers desire to work from home under cover of "Government guidance". Which i think is really what the shift amounts to.

When the guidance was "work from home if you can", then employers potentially risked legal trouble if they asked workers to come in where they felt there were benefits to their business in doing so (even if not strictly "necessary"). That probably doesn't apply with a shift in guidance, providing the employer takes reasonable mitigation steps.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Alistair said:

The Dems had a chance to turn the Occupy Wall Street moment into their Tea Party but they declined.

Some sense then.
  • Options
    Just read a sci-fi novel which included the detail of a Labour minority government propped up by the LDs. How do these authors come up with this stuff?

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

Hence the BoJo paradox. What Boris wants, more than anything, is to be liked, hence the shameless populism. But his final ascent to office depends on Gove and Cummings, who have a radical reform agenda that will make the PM unpopular. They don't care about such niceties. What happens next?
    Whatever is the easiest path?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    Let's hear it for Mitt Romney. One of the last decent GOP politicians left standing.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Let's hear it for Mitt Romney. One of the last decent GOP politicians left standing.

In hindsight, Romney winning in 2012 would have been a much better outcome for America
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Just read a sci-fi novel which included the detail of a Labour minority government propped up by the LDs. How do these authors come up with this stuff?

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

So what's easiest for BJ? Presumably to let Govey'n'Dom get on with it, until they make the PM unpopular, then dump them with the elegance of dumping an ex-mistress.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Interesting thread, thanks Robert.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

It's not up to the PM to tell people to go to their offices, but equally the Government isn't obliged to force employers to accept workers desire to work from home under cover of "Government guidance". Which i think is really what the shift amounts to.

When the guidance was "work from home if you can", then employers potentially risked legal trouble if they asked workers to come in where they felt there were benefits to their business in doing so (even if not strictly "necessary"). That probably doesn't apply with a shift in guidance, providing the employer takes reasonable mitigation steps.
    My CEO has said there is absolutely rush to reopen the offices and we are doing just fine working from home. I suspect many other businesses are in a similar position, and those that try to force their employees back full time will face a revolt.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

So what's easiest for BJ? Presumably to let Govey'n'Dom get on with it, until they make the PM unpopular, then dump them with the elegance of dumping an ex-mistress.
    We have a winner.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

The only one by the looks of it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    alex_ said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

Employers have a legal obligation to provide a safe place of work. There are very few offices in which that can currently be achieved at 100% occupancy.

I am prepared to make the sacrifice and stay at home so that some of my colleagues can go in to the office.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

We have a winner.
    Once you ask the right question, the right answer falls out quite easily.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Labour has been the big beneficiary of the Cummings affair. It has

alex_ said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

My CEO has said there is absolutely rush to reopen the offices and we are doing just fine working from home. I suspect many other businesses are in a similar position, and those that try to force their employees back full time will face a revolt.
    Cutting out the commute has made our content teams a lot more productive. But the sales teams need to be back together again. A lot of companies are going to change permanently. There’s nothing the PM can do about it.

• Options
    Deltapoll, 6 point lead Tories at 44, Labour 38.

The Tory support is rock solid stable - but Labour still is below 40 which is disappointing.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,707

You`re so middle class CHB
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,305
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

There is, of course, a significant difference between running for a House seat, and running for the Senate.
    And the four of the awkward squad you mention were, as you note, rather than being “unelectable”, elected.

Look ahead a decade, and they’ll likely be represented in the Senate, too. The real question is whether the Democratic party can remain a broad church as its more radical wing begins to get serious institutional heft at the top of the party.
  • Options

Labour has been the big beneficiary of the Cummings affair. It has

alex_ said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

Cutting out the commute has made our content teams a lot more productive. But the sales teams need to be back together again. A lot of companies are going to change permanently. There’s nothing the PM can do about it.

Agreed. The idea that an entire company needs to be spending time commuting for five days a week already looks laughable.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    edited July 2020
    But where is the Nighthawks Cafe? No sooner was its return trumpeted to widespread acclaim, than it disappeared.
  • Options

In hindsight, Romney winning in 2012 would have been a much better outcome for America
    The 2012 GOP Congress was a bunch of fucking nuts and Romney had committed to their policy platform.

David Frum endorsed Romney only on the hope that Romney wasn't actually going to enact any of his insane manifesto.
  • Options
    So now, officially, one in a hundred Americans has tested positive for the virus. A milestone that only Chile, among countries of any size, has so far reached.

Yet, in the bigger scheme of things, one in a hundred is still small.
  • Options

The Tory support is rock solid stable - but Labour still is below 40 which is disappointing.

Disappointing not to be doing better, but Labour is doing OK. Cummings and Johnson have brought the party back into the game earlier than might otherwise have been the case. The fact Labour is keeping its gains in a week when Sunak was throwing money around like confetti indicates a level of solidity in the vote which is encouraging.

• Options
    Alistair said:

The 2012 GOP Congress was a bunch of fucking nuts and Romney had committed to their policy platform.

David Frum endorsed Romney only on the hope that Romney wasn't actually going to enact any of his insane manifesto.
    Yes, but at the time the Dems had a majority in the senate and would have stopped the more crackpot stuff. Romney lost partly because it was obvious he was a moderate pretending to be a Tea Partier.
  • Options
    SNP on 6%. That is clean sweep territory in Scotland - except, perhaps, Edinburgh South.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yes, but at the time the Dems had a majority in the senate and would have stopped the more crackpot stuff. Romney lost partly because it was obvious he was a moderate pretending to be a Tea Partier.
    We are deep into what if but for Romney to win that would have also meant Senate seats going red, maybe enough to give them a bare majority.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,035
    On a note of concern today's positive cases were proportionally high with the details potentially dangerous.

Now given the pubs opened a week ago that might just be a factor.

Or maybe not.

A close watch will have to be made on the testing numbers for the next few days.

Now if the opening of pubs did have an effect then the government policy of encouraging people to visit them might need to change and would mean that masks in shops is an even more stupid idea.

On better news new cases in the Bournemouth area remain minimal - further suggesting that outside activities are low risk.
  • Options

On a note of concern today's positive cases were proportionally high with the details potentially dangerous.

Or maybe not.

A close watch will have to be made on the testing numbers for the next few days.

Now if the opening of pubs did have an effect then the government policy of encouraging people to visit them might need to change and would mean that masks in shops is an even more stupid idea.

On better news new cases in the Bournemouth area remain minimal - further suggesting that outside activities are low risk.

Still not understanding your argument that masks in shops is a ‘stupid idea’.
    Would you care to explain it ?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,241
    It does ask the question why is labour behind
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A long term legacy of the civil war.

As well as the standard centre-right types the Republicans also had liberals from New England and hillbillies from Appalachia.

Whereas the Democrats had KKK supporters from the South along with standard centre-left types.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

There was a scientist on BBC Breakfast arguing that the government might be shifting towards encouraging the wearing of masks to make nervous people feel safer about shopping.

Personally I think it will have the opposite affect and will reduce the propensity for people to go out as there are plenty of people who won't want to wear a mask so just won't bother.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,423
    edited July 2020
    It's difficult to understand how the SNP can be as high as 6% in a GB-wide poll. They were on 4% at GE2019 when they polled 45% in Scotland.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

It was explained on the last thread.

But here it is again.

It will make people think that going out is more dangerous than it is.

Therefore some people will not leave their homes and will order things online instead.

With the consequent negative economic, social and public health effects.

And now I'm going to improve my health by going for a walk.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

It's difficult to understand how the SNP can be as high as 6% in a GB-wide poll.
    Must be due to rounding upwards as 50% equated to 4.9% in 2015.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,241
    Interesting piece from John Rentoul of the Independent

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1281942476618641408?s=09
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,049

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

But that's the paradox.

And they're fluffing it.

It is risky, but the current model of London has nothing to offer to anyone between the oligarchy and those in social housing. That can't carry on forever.
    People keep asserting stuff like this as if it were some kind of undisputed fact. London is expensive but it's possible to live there quite happily and even buy somewhere decent to live on a fairly unremarkable middle class salary (or at least on two of them). Of course you will get a bigger place and a more manageable mortgage outside the capital. Our neck of South East London is home to a fairly representative cross section of society and is not noticeable for oligarchs.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

But here it is again.

Therefore some people will not leave their homes and will order things online instead.

What’s wrong with ordering stuff online, if people regard it cheaper and safer? Should we ban cars because of the impact on horseshoe manufactures?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    At least they mentioned the SNP - which is more than some polls bother to do.

Hope you are keeping well. Been cloudy with some sun over in the east - very pleasant actually.
  • Options
    Opinium showing 4 point lead, they were most accurate at last election.

I think lead is probably 4-6 points, YG is outlier
  • Options
    Flavible Projection CON: 319 (-46) LAB: 246 (+43) SNP: 55 (+7) LDEM: 6 (-5) PC: 5 (+1) GRN: 1 (-)

Messy Parliament
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

But here it is again.

What’s wrong with ordering stuff online, if people regard it cheaper and safer? Should we ban cars because of the impact on horseshoe manufactures?
    That's exactly where we're heading if the reports about wanting workers to go back to the office are true.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's difficult to understand how the SNP can be as high as 6% in a GB-wide poll.
    Must be due to rounding upwards as 50% equated to 4.9% in 2015.
    Support for independence is 54% - so allowing for those SNP voters who don't eant indy, and Labour ones who do, it wouldn't be surprising to find 5.51% pro SNP rounded up to 6% - given the error margins.
  • Options

It does ask the question why is labour behind
    The economy and Brexit, I’d guess. Both are abstract challenges currently for most people.

• Options

All the polling is very stable currently, even YouGov within its own parameters.

• Options
    malcolmg said:
    If it is even close to that, yes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,885

You Gov have been almost exactly the same as the average of all polls since Starmer took over at Labour, never at the extremes of either party's score. Why are people so keen to dismiss them?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

There was a scientist on BBC Breakfast arguing that the government might be shifting towards encouraging the wearing of masks to make nervous people feel safer about shopping.

Personally I think it will have the opposite affect and will reduce the propensity for people to go out as there are plenty of people who won't want to wear a mask so just won't bother.
    How does your difference of opinion make it a stupid idea ?
  • Options

Flavible Projection CON: 319 (-46) LAB: 246 (+43) SNP: 55 (+7) LDEM: 6 (-5) PC: 5 (+1) GRN: 1 (-)

Messy Parliament

Is that like Messy Church? MPs all bring their kids?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited July 2020
    Latest data
    Covid cases still decreasing but very slowly. R only just under 1.
    10 cases per million per day for England.
    5 cases per million per day for London.

• Options
    Starmer priority must be to achieve 40% consistently, still work to do on that Lib Dem and Green vote
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not it's a stupid idea. I appreciate that there probably is a decent benefit from people wearing masks. The problem is this. No one is brave enough to tell the plebs that they need to accept that we cannot eradicate it and that we need to get back to "normal".

For months we have been saying on here that the big challenge is getting people to go back to normal. There are some people who would rather stay at home than go to the pub/football/shops and wear a mask.
  • Options
    I wonder if YG will bother to use there MRP model next election, it proved to really be no more useful than Opinium traditional method
  • Options

Starmer priority must be to achieve 40% consistently, still work to do on that Lib Dem and Green vote

Labour needs a LibDem revival more than anything.

• Options

Taking from Tory vote indeed - but those voters are currently still with the Tories. Presumably because Brexit has not yet been a disaster
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

All the polling is very stable currently, even YouGov within its own parameters.

The EMA (Exponential Moving Average) gives 10% weight to the latest poll and 90% to the previous running total.

Tory 43.4% (-0.1)
    Lab 37.3% (+0.2)
    LibDem 7.1% (-0.1)
    Brexit 0.3% (-0.1)
    Green 3.9% (+0.1)

Tory lead 6%
    Shares very stable
    Tory majority 22
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

The EMA (Exponential Moving Average) gives 10% weight to the latest poll and 90% to the previous running total.

Tory 43.4% (-0.1)
    Lab 37.3% (+0.2)
    LibDem 7.1% (-0.1)
    Brexit 0.3% (-0.1)
    Green 3.9% (+0.1)

Tory lead 6%
    Shares very stable
    Tory majority 22
    Objectively, Starmer has made progress in quite a short period of time. Not nearly enough.

Can't see RLB doing better though
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not it's a stupid idea. I appreciate that there probably is a decent benefit from people wearing masks. The problem is this. No one is brave enough to tell the plebs that they need to accept that we cannot eradicate it and that we need to get back to "normal".

For months we have been saying on here that the big challenge is getting people to go back to normal. There are some people who would rather stay at home than go to the pub/football/shops and wear a mask.
    With good government messaging, there would be a great deal more who would be more comfortable about being in indoor public places if everyone were wearing masks.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

With good government messaging, there would be a great deal more who would be more comfortable about being in indoor public places if everyone were wearing masks.
    Probably. Though many seem to simultaneously believe no one listens to this shower of a government anyway, and yet that the government would be utterly trusted and therefore followed if it used slightly better words.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Not really. Few on here were predicting a few months ago that a Labour vote share as high as 38% would become pretty normal as early as the Summer recess.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

Well, I'm not going back to the office come what may. I'm performing just as well working from home thank you very much.

I think there is a problem for the UK in that we are an incredibly liberal country. You might be right, but it needs everyone to do it and it needs zero tolerance policing. We really struggle with that in this country.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Or maybe not.

I would feel more comfortable going into a shop if everyone was masked. However we have been able to get everything we need online for the past 4 months so I don't plan to go to any shops anytime soon anyway.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

Better to pick up Tory voters. Each switcher counts double. That purple wall...
  • Options

Davey with a voice for financial sanity should be able to peel away Remainer Tories horrified at the wanton spending.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,423

Doesn't 6% represent rock-bottom for the LDs?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

The net result of everything that's happened since the election (according to the polls, which granted aren't worth very much) is that Labour has eaten a third of the Lib Dem vote plus the "never Tory" residuum of the Brexit Party's support. The Conservative share is completely stable and the Lib Dems seem further from any kind of "revival" than ever before.

Labour supporters really need to stop praying that the completely moribund Liberal Democrats will somehow take just enough seats off the Tories to permit a wobbly as anything rainbow coalition to take over, and work out how to get large numbers of Con-to-Lab switchers on side. If Labour can't present itself plausibly as a potential majority party again, then it's going to find itself perpetually crippled by association with the SNP with all that entails. The rest is noise.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

It's difficult to understand how the SNP can be as high as 6% in a GB-wide poll. They were on 4% at GE2019 when they polled 45% in Scotland.
    4 could be 4.4%. 6 could be 5.6%. Toss in the MOE. Suddenly not so difficult to understand?
  • Options
    I am pleased to see that India now has a Coronavirus cure...

• Options
    Foxy said:

Can't be any worse than the Trumpist stuff.

What's it like to drink? A Scot asks.
  • Options

Could get one with Davey
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    isam said:

You Gov have been almost exactly the same as the average of all polls since Starmer took over at Labour, never at the extremes of either party's score. Why are people so keen to dismiss them?
    The games people play - let's ignore Delta and YG because we don't like them and praise Opinium because it was closer last time. The level of the analysis is simply partisan point scoring. We had some idiot earlier today blaming 'nasty' voters for supporting the Tories. Utterly pathetic.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    Yup there's been a steady uptick in the LD vote share since he's been back in charge - oh wait no- there's been the sum total of nada!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Can't be any worse than the Trumpist stuff.

What's it like to drink? A Scot asks.
    If anything like other Indian whisky, suitable only for an absolute emergency...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    It’s actually quite interesting how the pandemic has made many countries insular. There is real carnage in many places around the world and it hardly gets a mention. There is going to be one hell of a mess to be cleared up after this is over and it will make Europe’s problems seem insignificant.
  • Options
    felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    Yup there's been a steady uptick in the LD vote share since he's been back in charge - oh wait no- there's been the sum total of nada!
    Davey is far more likely to pull across Tory voters than Moran is
This discussion has been closed.