Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first of the front pages not good for Boris

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

What's the explanation for why we don't know the figure how many people we've tested for like the last month?

The contract with the companies doing testing doesn't seem to include communicating the results to anyone.
    Beyond f*ing words. What an utter shambles this lot are proving to be.

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1278259630628618241
    I doubt Boris or Hancock have drawn up the contracts themselves.

What we are seeing is the general unfitness for purpose of the alphabet soup.
    I don't think PHE would negotiate a contract that kept themselves in the dark! It is the usual private sector troughers.
    You can bet an expensive contract change will fix it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    And Jenrick. Don’t forget Jenrick.
    You mention Jenrick twice. Once for Shropshire and once for Herefordshire trips?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Re:discussion about pubs opening on a Saturday earlier. I think some people are overlooking that pubs will open when pubs will open. The biggest chain of pubs in my part of the world (Young’s) will not be opening until Monday 20th July.

I also think people are not factoring in that I imagine most pubs will not be allowing a free for all (and it will not be in their interests to do so). I expect many/most to be imposing limits on numbers, possibly limits on consumption, maybe insisting on seating only etc etc. Responsible pub owners will be fully conscious of the damage images of drunken revelry would cause them and will want to avoid it. Irresponsible ones will be running grave risks of being immediately shut down again.

I don't expect New Year's Eve type crowds, though probably somewhere in the country will be in the news.

Transmission in Leicester seems to be at workplaces and homes, not pubs or shops, so I wouldn't expect a lot of difference.

The problem is that when your only tool is a lockdown hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
    Indeed. It's in meat factories and clothing factories etc. but these dipsticks don't seem to understand that.

We can't afford a second lockdown. The economy is already dying.
    I expect many pubs on Saturday will be like meat factories.
    No, I don't think so.

They're in the public eye, unlike those businesses.

Everywhere I've been that's public takes social distancing and hygiene very seriously.
    And so will their customers after six pints ... or not.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Unexplained mass elephant dying:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53257512

Christ. What a miserable era this is
    Indeed. A plague of locusts has ravaged the crops of Sardinia.
    When I read that I thought Daily Mash.
    Sadly not.
    2020 is by far the most depressing year of my life, to date, and I was born in the mid 1960s.

And we are only half way through. Indeed, exactly half way through
    Do you have any memory of the 1968/69 flu epidemic? (It killed about 80,000 people in the UK, which would be around 100,000 today taking population increase into account).
    I discussed that with my mother last weekend. She was 20 at the time.

Absolutely no memory. The government did nothing - it was just one of those things that happened. No lockdown or anything
    Without lockdown I am guessing Covid would have killed a million or more in this country (not necessarily by now, but in total, assuming most people exposed and fatality rate of at least 2% owing to the health system being overwhelmed).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is it just me or does this headline come across as implying a touch of cynicism over the decision by the government, as if it couldn't possibly just be the right thing to do?

"Hong Kong: What is behind the UK's citizenship offer?
    Laura Kuenssberg"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53258403

Just what we need another 3 million refugees, they would not take even 1 in the last panic over refugees but now we are on our knees they are happy to take 3 million just to try and act big shots to the Chinese.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"Police have pledged to stop and fine drivers trying to flee Leicester for drinking or shopping after the city was put under a fresh lockdown following a spike in Covid-19 cases in the city.

Officers will carry out spot checks on vehicles leaving locked-down Leicester and could turn them around if their journey is not essential, it was revealed today, as confusion reigned because some areas in the city limits are in lockdown while neighbours are not.

Leicestershire Police is also threatening £100 fines amid growing concerns that residents may flee for the county's open pubs, hair salons or other attractions while patrols will also break up mass gatherings in the city after they were partially blamed for a spike in coronavirus cases in June."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8481783/Leaders-councils-threatened-Leicester-style-lockdowns-reject-idea.html

The White Horse in Scraptoft will be busy. It is a large Weatherspoons just outside the boundary, and easy walking distance from the Thurnby Lodge Estate. There may be other similar pubs, but I don't think shops will be very busy outside, and hairdressers need booking weeks ahead. All the main Leicestershire shopping areas are included in the lockdown.

I may report from my local pub on Saturday, but I suspect the landlord won't be be serving non regulars.He is already pulling his hair out over trying to make the regulations work.
    My prediction is the big pubs will be very strict with the rules, they are mostly chains and will not want the risk of naming and shaming by the media and legal challenges of negligence.

The small pubs will mostly be OK as the publicans are usually sensible people and want to look after their customers, many of whom are friends.

It is the medium sized pubs who will have the problems keeping control. Keeping 2/3 of the tables free while the staff are being overrun, serving so many people, trying to remember who has put their name on the attendance list etc. And probably some landlords will only care about reducing their overdraft.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Clearly a take off of the The Americans title sequence. An effective line marred by having to be very quick at reading subtitles.

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1278499093350879233
    The bounties were allegedly to kill coalition -- including British -- troops. What's our new National Security Adviser said about it? Or the old one? And when will Boris publish the report into Russian interference in our politics?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The fascist iconography of Trumpism is hiding in plain sight. If Trump were smarter he would really be dangerous.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Guardian: The first details of the controversial Brexit checks Boris Johnson insisted would not apply to trade across the Irish Sea have emerged, with mandatory paperwork for businesses in Great Britain supplying goods to Northern Ireland from January.

An HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) document marked “sensitive”, seen by the Guardian, reveals that firms in Great Britain will be obliged to complete three rounds of customs, security and transit forms on all goods.

Taking back control?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

This still feels pretty thin. No one will care about Leicester (or anywhere else for that matter) when the real economic pain begins to be felt.

What do you mean “when”? It’s already started, as the announcements of job losses over the last couple of days make clear.
    It's only a recession when someone you know has lost their job.
    It's a depression when you've lost yours.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

This still feels pretty thin. No one will care about Leicester (or anywhere else for that matter) when the real economic pain begins to be felt.

What do you mean “when”? It’s already started, as the announcements of job losses over the last couple of days make clear.
    It's only a recession when someone you know has lost their job.
    It's a depression when you've lost yours.
    A recovery is when Dominic Cummings loses his.

With apologies to Ronald Reagan.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Guardian: The first details of the controversial Brexit checks Boris Johnson insisted would not apply to trade across the Irish Sea have emerged, with mandatory paperwork for businesses in Great Britain supplying goods to Northern Ireland from January.

An HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) document marked “sensitive”, seen by the Guardian, reveals that firms in Great Britain will be obliged to complete three rounds of customs, security and transit forms on all goods.

Taking back control?
    LOL, you could not make it up , queue the brexit dupes on here saying it is a good thing for employment and a major sign of sovereignty. Keep waving those blue passports.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    Andy_JS said:

"Police have pledged to stop and fine drivers trying to flee Leicester for drinking or shopping after the city was put under a fresh lockdown following a spike in Covid-19 cases in the city.

Officers will carry out spot checks on vehicles leaving locked-down Leicester and could turn them around if their journey is not essential, it was revealed today, as confusion reigned because some areas in the city limits are in lockdown while neighbours are not.

Leicestershire Police is also threatening £100 fines amid growing concerns that residents may flee for the county's open pubs, hair salons or other attractions while patrols will also break up mass gatherings in the city after they were partially blamed for a spike in coronavirus cases in June."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8481783/Leaders-councils-threatened-Leicester-style-lockdowns-reject-idea.html

How many times will they hear the "eye test" defence?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,676

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Clearly a take off of the The Americans title sequence. An effective line marred by having to be very quick at reading subtitles.

The bounties were allegedly to kill coalition -- including British -- troops. What's our new National Security Adviser said about it? Or the old one? And when will Boris publish the report into Russian interference in our politics?
    If the Conservatives were clean, they would publish it. They haven´t, so they aren´t. The Johnson government is not legitimate.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I would have guessed once. And then when the news gets out that that person has been prosecuted for driving while unfit, people will realise you shouldn’t make jokes to the police.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Taking back control?
    LOL, you could not make it up , queue the brexit dupes on here saying it is a good thing for employment and a major sign of sovereignty. Keep waving those blue passports.
    Brexit served one important function. To shoehorn Boris Johnson through the door of 10 Downing Street.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

If the Conservatives were clean, they would publish it. They haven´t, so they aren´t. The Johnson government is not legitimate.
    On the contrary, the tragedy is that it is legitimate. Russian interference could not even begin to explain the scale of Corbyn’s failure.

Although I would be surprised, to be honest, that the Russians felt the need to interfere. They had the option of a lowlife stool pigeon who instinctively sucks up to people who are actually his enemies and doesn’t have a clue what he is doing, or a long-standing admirer of the Soviet Union and critic of NATO. For them, the options in 2019 were about perfect.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.
    2020 is by far the most depressing year of my life, to date, and I was born in the mid 1960s.

Do you have any memory of the 1968/69 flu epidemic? (It killed about 80,000 people in the UK, which would be around 100,000 today taking population increase into account).

Absolutely no memory. The government did nothing - it was just one of those things that happened. No lockdown or anything
    Without lockdown I am guessing Covid would have killed a million or more in this country (not necessarily by now, but in total, assuming most people exposed and fatality rate of at least 2% owing to the health system being overwhelmed).
    A million is likely an over estimate, but you are right that the 80 000-100 000 deaths has to be taken into context. The figures for Hong Kong Flu are for 2 and a half years, with no lock down. I wonder what the number of peak daily deaths was back then. The first Covid death in the UK was in March, so we are talking a 4 month period with a strong lockdown.

Also in the 21st century we are so much more interconnected than in 1968-70. At that time most people would not go abroad all year, now a weekend in Barcelona or Prage is a typical occurrence. What people often overlook though is how much quicker and common domestic travel is. The motorway and dual carriageway network has developed massively in the last 50 years, and there first 125 trains were in the late 70s. This means that no lockdown in 2020 would have been a bigger catastrophe than no lockdown in 1969 was.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

I would have guessed once. And then when the news gets out that that person has been prosecuted for driving while unfit, people will realise you shouldn’t make jokes to the police.
    That might be good advice, heavily caveated with it depends who says it and where in our society they stand.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

You may not like this government, you may want to attack it, but it is the most legitimate government in recent history after winning an 80 seat majority just 8 months ago
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Just heard an amusing analogy from my wife to explain COVID19:

You and nine friends are at a table crafting. One person is using glitter on their craft. How many projects ends up with glitter on it?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

You may not like this government, you may want to attack it, but it is the most legitimate government in recent history after winning an 80 seat majority just 8 months ago
    Err, with only a minority (43%) of the vote and with more people voting for parties opposing its principal Brexit policy than voted for it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,442
    FF43 said:
    A politician being partisan? Not that surprising.
  • Options

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

That is one measure of legitimacy. Another might be how often they break the law - they do badly on that. Another might be how often they lie - they do badly do that.
  • Options

Just heard an amusing analogy from my wife to explain COVID19:

You and nine friends are at a table crafting. One person is using glitter on their craft. How many projects ends up with glitter on it?

If they are all teenage females, I suspect all would end up getting Glitter on them
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    The fascist iconography of Trumpism is hiding in plain sight. If Trump were smarter he would really be dangerous.
    I don't see it. The eagle is a symbol of America left, right or centre.

That fascists have used it doesn't change that. Trump is a racist who deserves to lose, but there's stronger connections than he uses an eagle in his artwork to say that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Err, with only a minority (43%) of the vote and with more people voting for parties opposing its principal Brexit policy than voted for it.
    We operate a FPTP electoral system and until that changes your argument is not valid
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

What do Alanis Morissette and the MP for Mid Beds have in common?

Dogma?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072
    ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

On the contrary, the tragedy is that it is legitimate. Russian interference could not even begin to explain the scale of Corbyn’s failure.

Although I would be surprised, to be honest, that the Russians felt the need to interfere. They had the option of a lowlife stool pigeon who instinctively sucks up to people who are actually his enemies and doesn’t have a clue what he is doing, or a long-standing admirer of the Soviet Union and critic of NATO. For them, the options in 2019 were about perfect.
    The report was ready to publish before the 2019GE, so it's unlikely to be about Russian interference in that election.

Perhaps they didn't interfere in GE2019, as the product of their earlier interference, and willing dupes, meant they could settle back and admire a job well done.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53252096

Only two people fined for breaking quarantine on arriving at the UK. A policy for newspaper headlines only, never any intention to police or enforce this, just to make your "common sense" punter feel like something was being done.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Name one party opposing Brexit that you think should be the government?

The government won millions of votes more than any other party. You can't sum up all other parties votes and add them together that's not legitimate, if the other parties voters all wanted the same thing they'd have all voted for the same party. They chose not to do so.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    If you read this forum this may come as a surprise

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1278463553125658627?s=09
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

I misread this comment at first. I was startled to learn Charles’ mother was 20 last weekend.

Then I engaged my brain.
    Aren’t you aware of the new longevity technology?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited July 2020

If you read this forum this nay come as a surprise

Why - most people regard other people as idiots..
  • Options

If you read this forum this nay come as a surprise

From memory that's quite a change on previous polls asking that question but it makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

I misread this comment at first. I was startled to learn Charles’ mother was 20 last weekend.

Then I engaged my brain.
    Aren’t you aware of the new longevity technology?
    *Looks up eagerly* does it reverse hair loss?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Discovery of Synergistic and Antagonistic Drug Combinations against SARS-CoV-2 In Vitro
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.29.178889v1
    ...Using in silico approaches, we prioritized 73 combinations of 32 drugs with potential activity against SARS-CoV-2 and then tested them in vitro. Overall, we identified 16 synergistic and 8 antagonistic combinations, 4 of which were both synergistic and antagonistic in a dose-dependent manner. Among the 16 synergistic cases, combinations of nitazoxanide with three other compounds (remdesivir, amodiaquine and umifenovir) were the most notable, all exhibiting significant synergy against SARS-CoV-2. The combination of nitazoxanide, an FDA-approved drug, and remdesivir, FDA emergency use authorization for the treatment of COVID-19, demonstrate a strong synergistic interaction. Notably, the combination of remdesivir and hydroxychloroquine demonstrated strong antagonism. Overall, our results emphasize the importance of both drug repurposing and preclinical testing of drug combinations for potential therapeutic use against SARS-CoV-2 infections....
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. And its gross incompetence has killed tens of thousands of people who should still be alive.
  • Options

twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1278463553125658627?s=09

Not really. Lots of people critical of the government on here have been pointing out that it was the strategy of the government to blame the public for a second wave - and the one thing we know Cummings & Johnson are good at is winning a political debate by convincing the public to blame other people for things going wrong.

Disappointed, yes, not at all surprised.
  • Options

Only two people fined for breaking quarantine on arriving at the UK. A policy for newspaper headlines only, never any intention to police or enforce this, just to make your "common sense" punter feel like something was being done.

That's not true. Policies don't only work if they're enforced. Authoritarians like you make me worry.

How many people have "done the right thing" just because that is what they were told to do, without requiring the Police banging on their door to enforce it?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eristdoof said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

A million is likely an over estimate, but you are right that the 80 000-100 000 deaths has to be taken into context. The figures for Hong Kong Flu are for 2 and a half years, with no lock down. I wonder what the number of peak daily deaths was back then. The first Covid death in the UK was in March, so we are talking a 4 month period with a strong lockdown.

Also in the 21st century we are so much more interconnected than in 1968-70. At that time most people would not go abroad all year, now a weekend in Barcelona or Prage is a typical occurrence. What people often overlook though is how much quicker and common domestic travel is. The motorway and dual carriageway network has developed massively in the last 50 years, and there first 125 trains were in the late 70s. This means that no lockdown in 2020 would have been a bigger catastrophe than no lockdown in 1969 was.
    There wasn't no lock down under Spanish flu, they just didn't call it that

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

We operate a FPTP electoral system and until that changes your argument is not valid
    Of course it is valid to challenge the legitimacy of a government that only received 43% of the vote. The system might deliver a large majority on the back of such a vote, but that does not make it legitimate.
  • Options

That's not true. Policies don't only work if they're enforced. Authoritarians like you make me worry.

How many people have "done the right thing" just because that is what they were told to do, without requiring the Police banging on their door to enforce it?
    Or indeed, decided not to travel at all because the quarantine rules made it clear it was still a risky thing to do.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Of course it is valid to challenge the legitimacy of a government that only received 43% of the vote. The system might deliver a large majority on the back of such a vote, but that does not make it legitimate.
    Yes it does. That government got many millions more votes than any alternative prospectus of government.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

The government won millions of votes more than any other party. You can't sum up all other parties votes and add them together that's not legitimate, if the other parties voters all wanted the same thing they'd have all voted for the same party. They chose not to do so.
    Whilst what you say is obviously true, and of course the govt should be in power, there are different levels of legitimacy. If it had won over half the vote that would have made it more legitimate even if thats a extremely harsh bar to set given our political system. Similarly if they paid more respect to the rule of law and our unwritten constitution they would be more legitimate. Of course they are the most legitimate available because they won the election but their actions and behaviour undermine that.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,676

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Not if the Russians were involved in getting Johnson his 80 seat majority. Johnson´s government is illegitimate.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,227

Scott_xP said:

That fascists have used it doesn't change that. Trump is a racist who deserves to lose, but there's stronger connections than he uses an eagle in his artwork to say that.
    But usually the eagle has the US flag in the centre of the eagle, with an olive branch and arrows in its talons rather than holding a disk below it. The resemblance is at best unfortunate, but probably a deliberate trap to try and make Trump's opponents look unpatriotic.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Whilst what you say is obviously true, and of course the govt should be in power, there are different levels of legitimacy. If it had won over half the vote that would have made it more legitimate even if thats a extremely harsh bar to set given our political system. Similarly if they paid more respect to the rule of law and our unwritten constitution they would be more legitimate. Of course they are the most legitimate available because they won the election but their actions and behaviour undermine that.
    Can you name any western countries in your definition which are legitimate with your phrasing?

And no coalitions don't count unless they were a defined coalition standing in the election united (like the Coalition in Australia) since the public did not vote for them.
  • Options
    FF43 said:
    That’s a strong reaction.

I guess Starmer’s criticism of government failings are ok, but Tory criticism of Labour failing isn’t.

Ok
  • Options

Im not saying it should be enforced or shouldnt be enforced. Im saying the reason it was done was not to do with stopping covid spreading but to placate the common sense brigade who think it was "obviously" needed. I interpret the lack of enforcement as the government agreeing that the policy was never needed or at most an extremely low priority.
  • Options

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Legitimacy is binary surely?

Cameron’s government was legitimate despite requiring a coalition
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

FF43 said:
    A politician being partisan? Not that surprising.
    As Health Minister Dorries was responsible for councils such as Leicester NOT getting the full data. This is actually a libel against the Mayor of Leicester, not partisanship.

And even so, it's a highly irresponsible message for a government minister to tweet in the midst of a lockdown crisis where everyone needs to pull together.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Not if the Russians were involved in getting Johnson his 80 seat majority. Johnson´s government is illegitimate.
    I wouldn't say illegitimate, but the willingness of so many conservatives to go along with this kind of stuff "because he won us the election" is seriously disturbing.
  • Options

Im not saying it should be enforced or shouldnt be enforced. Im saying the reason it was done was not to do with stopping covid spreading but to placate the common sense brigade who think it was "obviously" needed. I interpret the lack of enforcement as the government agreeing that the policy was never needed or at most an extremely low priority.
    I don't agree. There haven't been that many fines for lockdown breaches in general - doesn't mean lockdown hasn't happened.

You can't interpret the lockdown via fines but by what people are doing.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Can you name any western countries in your definition which are legitimate with your phrasing?

And no coalitions don't count unless they were a defined coalition standing in the election united (like the Coalition in Australia) since the public did not vote for them.
    Easy, the Tory government here in the UK is legitimate. It is just less legitimate than it could and should be!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Charles said:

Virtually all the housing data that I see come from biased sources, usually trying to ramp sales (amazing opportunities etc.). I'm advising a friend on house purchase in Oxfordshire and am genuinely unsure what to suggest is likely - are we expecting a continued slide in prices, or a bounce back, or what?
    The answer is no one really has a clue

Interest rates will be lower for longer removing a point of pressure

But lots of people may be unemployed

Many people may be nervous to take on a mortgage reducing demand

While lots of people will want a house with a garden increasing demand
    My instinct (and it’s purely my instinct) is that the mortgage offer percentage will give an indicator.

As the lenders fear a drop, they’re reducing their LTV (to reduce exposure, as an LTV of 85% gives more scope to recoup their loan in a falling market with a need for rapid sale after foreclosures).

As demand is capitalised desire (desire plus the financial ability to enact it), reduced LTV from 90-95% to 85% means the deposit climbs significantly (from 5-10%, which was already very difficult for many) to 15%+.

This reduces the effective demand, pushing prices down in a self-fulfilling way.
    When LTV of 90-95% comes back, that effective demand resurges and prices will climb again.

It’s only one factor, of course, but it makes sense to me. All should do their own research, though, very much so.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

A different view on what legitimacy is.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/11/trump-win-wasnt-fair-or-democraticbut-it-was-legitimate.html

If course, in the British Parliamentary system, where it is legitimate for MPs to choose a different PM if the current one loses their support, questions of legitimacy deriving from vote share, current public support, etc, have more relevance.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Legitimacy is binary surely?

Cameron’s government was legitimate despite requiring a coalition
    Under FPTP of course it was.

Under the silly idea that you require over 50% of votes at the election for that government then no, because Cameron's government got 0% at the election. The Tories got votes, the Lib Dems got votes but the coalition got nothing as a coalition since it didn't stand as a coalition at the election.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I would concur. I could evidence the folly of "others" by Main Road in Ogmore by Sea being jam packed with parked cars despite the roads from Ewenny and St Brides Major both having mobile matrix signs in place telling drivers "Beach car parks are closed".

That does not however distract me from the chaotic mixed messaging specifically from the Prime Minister, who's cheery optimism is implying we spend for Britain or fill our boots down the pub.

The economic and the health messages need to be finely balanced. They are not. They lurch from one extreme to the other.
  • Options

I don't agree. There haven't been that many fines for lockdown breaches in general - doesn't mean lockdown hasn't happened.

There were 14000 lockdown fines by 11 May compared to 2 for quarantine.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

The White Horse in Scraptoft will be busy. It is a large Weatherspoons just outside the boundary, and easy walking distance from the Thurnby Lodge Estate. There may be other similar pubs, but I don't think shops will be very busy outside, and hairdressers need booking weeks ahead. All the main Leicestershire shopping areas are included in the lockdown.

I may report from my local pub on Saturday, but I suspect the landlord won't be be serving non regulars.He is already pulling his hair out over trying to make the regulations work.
    My prediction is the big pubs will be very strict with the rules, they are mostly chains and will not want the risk of naming and shaming by the media and legal challenges of negligence.

The small pubs will mostly be OK as the publicans are usually sensible people and want to look after their customers, many of whom are friends.

It is the medium sized pubs who will have the problems keeping control. Keeping 2/3 of the tables free while the staff are being overrun, serving so many people, trying to remember who has put their name on the attendance list etc. And probably some landlords will only care about reducing their overdraft.
    Walked though one of our pub carp-parks yesterday and spoke to the manager. Taking a lot of steps... sanitisers, one way systems, app. Time limits on tables.
    Another local pub has a sign up saying Exit Only, but I couldn't find an entrance.
    A third has posted on the local;l Facebook page .... plenty of room on Saturday, let's drink the place dry!

Sad thing is that I prefer the third one, who at least has kept going as a takeaway.... and a very good one ..... over lockdown, but I'm really concerned about the attitude.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

"coalitions don't count" is just something you made up because you seem to like the not so democratic UK system.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

A huge over-estimate imho. Sweden has not had a lockdown and its death rate isn't that different from ours.

Also don't forget that the number of new cases was falling before lockdown was introduced.

Still, we did introduce lockdown, so we will never know.

What I think is likely is that the number of deaths caused by the Chinese flu recession will significantly exceed the number of deaths caused by the virus. Assuming that each point off economic growth for a year causes 8-10k deaths, we're looking at 80-100k extra deaths from this year's 10% contraction, and half that from next year's below trend output.

So maybe 150-200k premature deaths from foregone economic growth.

And maybe a similar number from the collapse in health service productivity.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, it does.

We have a system for selecting MPs who then choose a government. It was recently blessed in a referendum vs an alternative advocated by your party.

A government properly chosen according to that system is legitimate. Just because you don’t like the rules doesn’t change that fact.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    edited July 2020
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

I guess Starmer’s criticism of government failings are ok, but Tory criticism of Labour failing isn’t.

Ok
    Starmer is leader of the opposition.
    I know it's difficult to believe, but Dorries is a health minister supposedly working together with local government leaders. The tweet would be unacceptable even if it were true.
  • Options

There were 14000 lockdown fines by 11 May compared to 2 for quarantine.
    Precisely, not many.

Considering the entire 66.65 million people of the UK were locked down, 14k fines is not many fines. That is 0.02% of the population effected being fined and that is over a period of about 6 or 7 weeks I'm guessing since the lockdown came into force in March.

How long has quarantine been in force? How many people have been subject to quarantine?
  • Options
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

"coalitions don't count" is just something you made up because you seem to like the not so democratic UK system.
    I didn't make it up, coalitions did not get voted for at the election unless they were a defined coalition at the election.

If the desire is to get the mandate of 50% plus of votes at the election then you need 50% plus of votes at the election. The coalitions only got 50% plus at the election if they stood at the election.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Walked though one of our pub carp-parks yesterday and spoke to the manager. Taking a lot of steps... sanitisers, one way systems, app. Time limits on tables.
    Another local pub has a sign up saying Exit Only, but I couldn't find an entrance.
    A third has posted on the local;l Facebook page .... plenty of room on Saturday, let's drink the place dry!

Sad thing is that I prefer the third one, who at least has kept going as a takeaway.... and a very good one ..... over lockdown, but I'm really concerned about the attitude.
    Sounds fishy.

I don’t believe this plaice exists
  • Options
    Scathing review of Johnson’s PMQs performance in the Telegraph
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Has the 'rona crossed species to elephants ?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

Ok
    Starmer is leader of the opposition.
    I know it's difficult to believe, but Dorries is a health minister supposedly working together with local government leaders. The tweet would be unacceptable even if it were true.
    Labour has attacked the government for being too slow and too fast to lock down Leicester.

Soulsby has been specifically critical of the government saying a lockdown isn’t necessary.

Why do you think the government should allow the opposition free hits?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    edited July 2020

I thought it was his best one against Starmer yet actually !
    First reaction was a draw, the subsequent clips and various hostages to fortune weren't great for him though.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"A harbour no more
    China’s draconian security law for Hong Kong buries one country, two systems
    The regime in Beijing would rather be feared than admired"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/07/01/chinas-draconian-security-law-for-hong-kong-buries-one-country-two-systems

Hong Kong had a very large share of Chinas GDP in 1997, but much less significant now.

Does anyone have figures on how many of the are British Overseas passport holders? And the age range? I would have thought that they would be the older population, while the young protestors are mostly born after 1997.
    It'd about half. 3 million or so of Hong Kong's 7 million or so.

You've got to remember there was lots of immigration from the mainland by Chinese proper after 1997.
    I actually think that will be popular among the Wildlings of the Blue Wall as it can be handily marketed as obligation of Empire 2.0.

I mean, it's not an aUsTrAlIaN sTyLe PoInTs SyStEm but that was a Johnsonian commitment to be parsed on a symbolic rather than literal level like "I'll pay for the abortion" and the Muir Éireann border.
  • Options

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

I didn't make it up, coalitions did not get voted for at the election unless they were a defined coalition at the election.

If the desire is to get the mandate of 50% plus of votes at the election then you need 50% plus of votes at the election. The coalitions only got 50% plus at the election if they stood at the election.
    As I said, something you just made up.

Here in Germany there is a legitimate elected coalition government. The proportion of people complaining about the voting system here is tiny compared to the UK. Once you've persuaded some Germans that their government is less legitimate than the UK's I'll start listening to your nonsense.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

All the Nordic countries have well-defined coalitions which won majorities using d'Hondt PR.

But I wouldn't call a government illegitimate if it wins a majority under the geneally-accepted current system. They should however avoid rhetoric that suggests that they had a majority of votes ("The British people overwhelmingly endorsed us", that sort of thing)..
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited July 2020
    Lol, I'm enjoying Leicester being treated like a leper colony. Deserved as well. I've got distant family there and they definitely weren't taking the social distancing seriously, one of them posted a gathering of around 60-70 people in a small house on Instagram. I have no doubt that loads of people will have been infected there.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The government should tell businesses, "We are creating the trade barriers. You deal with them as best you can." This would be more helpful to businesses than pretending the new barriers won't be there after January 1st.

I think Jerzewska is right. She is one of the main customs experts after all. Obviously this government won't admit the main effect of Brexit is to create red tape.
  • Options
    Charles said:

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds fishy.

I hope that is your sole contribution.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    Scott_xP said:
    17.4 mil for Teesside though. That's enough for a few injecting rooms and a musuem of dog shit.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It is a mystery how Johnson hopes to get away with packaging a re-announcement of already promised investment, now spread over eight years rather than five, as anything comparable to the US's New Deal.
  • Options

This is an absurd debate. Of course this government is legitimate. That is not in question. At the same time the demand for people to pay it fealty is also absurd - just because the government is legitimate doesn't mean that you should like or respect the fact that its incompetence has killed tens of thousands of people and that the Brexit bomb is armed and ready to explode.

It’s not legitimate in the sense that it’s being run by useless bastards.

Not in any other way.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds fishy.

Has this site been haked
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    Pulpstar said:

I thought it was his best one against Starmer yet actually !
    First reaction was a draw, the subsequent clips and various hostages to fortune weren't great for him though.
    Lol chb quoting the loonygraph...
  • Options
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Big_G's original statement was "most legitimate government in recent history"

Yet the 2010-15 coalition could claim to represent a majority of the votes cast in a way that the current government cannot.
  • Options
    James_MJames_M Posts: 48
    Morning all,

Just looking back through the thread and it does seem there is meaningful mis-reading of each other's posts to make a pre-existing point; pretty much like some of our politicians!

On the private sector debate, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to say that Foxy and Big_G are correct because I read them speaking about slightly different things. Whilst private hospitals in some areas may not have been used as much as expected, without a doubt the private sector has played a key role in PPE manufacturer, ventilators, testing, in feeding the nation etc. Public and private working together is key, not setting them against each other.
  • Options

This is an absurd debate. Of course this government is legitimate. That is not in question. At the same time the demand for people to pay it fealty is also absurd - just because the government is legitimate doesn't mean that you should like or respect the fact that its incompetence has killed tens of thousands of people and that the Brexit bomb is armed and ready to explode.

It it classic Tory gaslighting and hypocrisy.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds fishy.

Has this site been haked
    No. Such claims are a red herring.

Have a good morning.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It is a mystery how Johnson hopes to get away with packaging a re-announcement of already promised investment, now spread over eight years rather than five, as anything comparable to the US's New Deal.
    How does a single roundabout cost £14m!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It’s not legitimate in the sense that it’s being run by useless bastards.

Not in any other way.
    But as we legitimately installed the government of useless barstewards, fully aware that the useless barsteward-in-chief was running the show it is wholly legitimate

Unless you are suggesting it is run by an unelected Spad, in which case it is not.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    How does a single roundabout cost £14m!
    Probably for the same reason that a new park bench costs £4000
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There's always a degree of subjectivity with images. It's a bit like the famous mural. It was quite clearly anti-Semitic to me (although possibly subconsciously on the part of the artist, I don't know). But an old friend of mine really couldn't see it, he said these are just likenesses of real historical figures, not all of them are Jewish, etc etc. I wondered whether the fact that I studied history at school, covering the Nazi period where we looked at things like anti Semitic propaganda, and he didn't, might have explained it.
    To me it is obvious that these graphics, like a lot of Trump iconography, have a fascist flavour to them. Themes like extreme patriotism, violence and dominance, aggression and anger, militarism and authority, all feature strongly. Luckily, Trump doesn't have a political philosophy so isn't really a fascist. He's just a narcissist who knows which buttons to press. Some of his supporters and henchmen are though I think. My guess is that the American Republic will survive Trump but he has certainly awoken something disturbing in US society. None of us should need reminding how dangerous fascism is.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    Charles said:

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds fishy.

LOL. Cod post!!!
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

As I said, something you just made up.

Here in Germany there is a legitimate elected coalition government. The proportion of people complaining about the voting system here is tiny compared to the UK. Once you've persuaded some Germans that their government is less legitimate than the UK's I'll start listening to your nonsense.
    To try an analogy:

A party runs in the policy of painting Buckingham Palace blue (and nothing else) and wins 35% of the vote.

Another party wins 20% support for their sole policy of painting it red.

They agree to form a coalition.

@IanB2 @PClipp et al argue that it legitimate because they received over 50% of the vote

@Philip_Thompson argues that no one voted for a coalition government with a compromise policy of painting Buckingham Palace purple and therefore it is illegitimate

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

It it classic Tory gaslighting and hypocrisy.
    OH NO!

"gaslighting"

Life is seriously too short to try to work out what it means.

A neologism too far.
This discussion has been closed.