Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trumpity Trump: Why Betting on Biden is the right strategy

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

The real question when it comes to American elections is "has Cromwell come back under and alt-account and what is his opinion?"

It's a conundrum..
    I'm sure the current situation is good for Rubio.
    Hillary still 40/1 for the PRESIDENTIAL nomination.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,277
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/17/nationwide-triples-minimum-deposit-for-uk-first-time-buyers

Nationwide said from Thursday it will withdraw all its new loan deals where the first-time buyer only puts up a 5% deposit and set a new minimum deposit of 15%.

The rise represents a dramatic increase in the amount that buyers will have to save to buy the average home. According to Nationwide’s house price index, the average UK house price is £218,902 – which means a buyer will have to stump up a minimum deposit of at least £32,835 compared with £10,945 before.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2020
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

OllyT said:

When Covid-19 hit the US I thought Trump might get away with shifting a significant amount of blame onto Democratic Governors in states like New York which were hardest hit early on.

Looking at the stats now the scary increases in infections are in the south and South West and in states like Florida where gung-ho GOP governers downplayed the problem, opened up early etc etc.

From anyone with better first-hand knowledge of what is happening in the states I would be interested to know whether recent upsurge in cases has back-fired on the anti-lockdowners and "it's all a hoax" brigade. We don't seem to hear much of them lately

Also I'd be interested to know if the daily death rates are widely being accepted as they seem very low in many states given what we know from elsewhere.

If it gets bad in Texas, it's going to be hard for the Republicans to avoid blame.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1273102488049192960
    The alternative argument is that many states appear to be having spikes right in the sweet spot of what you would expect if you had a disease with a 14 day incubation period and a series of nationwide demonstrations in major towns and cities that started the end of May......
    Not really.
    Why not really? Based on any evidence or because it takes away from the narrative of "Republican Governors bad, Democrat Governors good?"...
    Because the status that are showing the biggest increases don't correlate with the largest/longest protests but do correlate worth who started opening up first (which is nothing to do with GOP or Dem governors)
    To a degree, Georgia is around the same, Oregon is rising sharply.
    No, this nonsense about Georgia will not fly. They are not "about the same" they are rising

And that's me taken it to the 14 day data lag line, it is clearly going to rise further over the next 14 days just on basic extrapolation of the provisional data. They lifted lockdown on 1st of May and lo - on the 9th of May the 7day average for cases stopped dropping and started rising.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,539

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

The real question when it comes to American elections is "has Cromwell come back under and alt-account and what is his opinion?"

It's a conundrum..
    Is that if Trump drops out ?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It's a conundrum..
    Is that if Trump drops out ?
    Given that Mitt Romney is 139/1 for the Democratic VP nomination, wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Did they have a demo at the airport ?

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1273261642889990149
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,604
    TimT said:

Robert, welcome to the wave election club. Biden 412 EC votes. Dems hold House, take the Senate.

Oi. TrumpToast club! :smile:

Only admitted you on Monday and now you're trying to change the name!
  • Options
    I'm thinking Pence 2024 is a touch unlikely.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1273250103583633410
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    No, it's the "out-of-state Antifa terrorists" wot infected the airport staff upon their return.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,581
    This is a non political question but as my wife and I may venture out soon after 12 weeks locked away I have acquired face masks but on trying them on my glasses steam up

As I have to wear glasses to drive I will not be able to do both

Is this just me or has anyone advice on this strange issue
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2020

Selebian said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I thought the reason Boris Force One is currently grey is because its primary rôle is as a tanker and so needs to be as radar un-reflective as possible for survivability in combat. The re-paint means that in the event of Vladimir Vladimirovitch deciding to make a dash for the Baltic, the RAF will be down one tanker as either it'll be a sitting duck or they won't dare to deploy it anyway.

Mind you, I'm no expert. I'd be interested in @Dura_Ace's opinion.

Isn't the grey just for visual camouflage?
    Both I'd imagine, though probably of limited utility on a lump like the Voyager.
    Seems like not, based on @Malmesbury's comment.
    The grey is kind of visual camouflage. But then it isn't optimised for normal operations. More a doesn't-particularly-shout-at-you colour.

If anyone gets close enough to your tankers that visual camouflage is an issue, then you are probably stuffed anyway - no manoeuvrability, not much defence capability.

The Soviet/Russian response to the heavy reliance in NATO operations on tankers and AEW aircraft was (and is) to build ultra-long range air-air missiles for attacking them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-37_(missile) etc - ranges of over 100nm are claimed.

The UK response to that is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_(missile) can engage at extremely long range
    A snazzy paint job does however make it more obvious which plane the missiles should be pointed at.
    The point is that if the tanker is within 100nm of Evul Ruskies, they will be targeting it.

They will be shooting at blips on the screen, Visual recognition is pretty much irrelevant.
    (also @RobD ) I sometimes wish we had a joke emoji available here. This is one of those times - would :wink: have helped?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,344
    eadric said:

A good, thoughtful article on the Covid resurge in the USA.

Says there may well be a spike following THE WOKEGASM (I'm claiming that one); says it is a mystery why some states have surged and others not.

I wonder if this is a BAME thing, in part. The states seeing the worst resurge - Texas, Floria, Arizona, SoCal, all have very large Hispanic communities?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/17/rising-covid-19-cases-hospitalization-long-road/

More likely that they never had the thing under control in the first place IMO, although your theory is not without merit.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm thinking Pence 2024 is a touch unlikely.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1273250103583633410

Though strictly speaking, he's correct that it's not a second wave, as the US is still in the first wave, surging again.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

TimT said:

Robert, welcome to the wave election club. Biden 412 EC votes. Dems hold House, take the Senate.

LOLs, Kinbalu

There, I changed your name too! (typo, but amusing in context)
  • Options

This is a non political question but as my wife and I may venture out soon after 12 weeks locked away I have acquired face masks but on trying them on my glasses steam up

I think government advice is to do an eye test somewhere in County Durham.
  • Options

Wash them in water with a little washing up liquid, and let them dry with it still on.
    The surfactant effect should prevent condensation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,507
    edited June 2020

Put the mask on before you get out of the car but not while driving. If you're only sharing the car with your wife then there's no problem.

To prevent them steaming up, see if you can adjust the mask so that when you exhale, your breath doesn't exit the mask from the top.
  • Options

That is a sad answer to a genuine question. Pathetic
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Wash them in water with a little washing up liquid, and let them dry with it still on.
    Thank you so much. That is really helpful
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,428

I heard that soapy water used to stop goggles misting up...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,122
    UK Number out - 184
    UK cases - 1,115

England Regional data by specimen date -

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353

theakes said:

Well, she indoors, a long supporter of the Prime Minister and lifelong Conservative has today, after watching PM questions said that he will be out by Xmas, She has been finding his inability to stay calm, his bluster, missing the point and as she put it, his talking in riddles, all the arm waving and not looking people in the eye shows he is a very nervous individual who is completely out of his depth.. I guess she is not alone among Conservative supporters..

Number 10's wheeze of "never mind the question, talk about schools" might have convinced some journalists and even the odd PB-er on the last thread but the thinking Conservative backbencher will surely see it for what it was -- another demonstration that Boris cannot follow the gist of the questions. He has clearly not yet fully recovered from his brush with the dreaded lurgy.
    Excuses excuses, he was just never up to the job, promoted way beyond his level of competence, takes more than a bumbling clown to be a decent PM.
  • Options

Yes that has been suggested. Thank you
  • Options

Sorry, Mr G, just couldn't resist. Sincere apologies.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

His betting judgement on Rubio was appalling but...

Cromwell said:

Any one who bets on Trump winning the nomination has a crude and simplistic grasp of American politics ; furthermore , they deserve to lose their money

Trump is a ''reality TV star '' who has descended into malignant narcissism and megalomania ..he's Dr Strangelove or a cartoonish James bond villain ; he's not a demagogue , but a comedic parody of a demagogue ...TRUMPOLINI I presume ?

There are simply not that many gormless voters in the GOP ; Trump is polling lower than Bernie Sanders but only looks like a winner because the opposition have not unified ...he probably will win New Hampshire but his victories can only last until the establishment unifies

Trump is a venal opportunist who loves running for president but would be horrified if the presidency were actually forced upon him

Trump's supporters are gormless beyond belief ; if he chewed the head off a puppy on live TV they would applaud him for making the world more safer for cats !

Weirdly predicted Biden's sweep to victory in the Dem race of 2020. Just 4 years too early with his logic.
    Apart from the bad prediction that sounds like one great poster.

Where are they? - Come back!
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

ON topic. Trump looks like the toastiest toast in Toastville.

HOWEVER, there is at least one proviso. A genuinely unprecedented economic shock is about to destabilise (even further) the western world (with the risk of a 2nd wave and a 2nd lockdown, to boot).

We could see widespread urban unrest by the end of the year. We've already seen a weird quasi-religious revival sweep the West, along with riots and iconoclasms, why not a bit of civil war?

Very hard to know who would win in that sitch.

I'd say there's a 5-10% chance of something like this happening.

Hopefully if it kicks off we will have someone on the spot to provide us with a breathless and weirdly aroused commentary.
    I live to serve. I will be there
    Keep up the good work Sean
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

1. If you are in your car only with people you have been co-quarantining with, you do not need to wear the facemask while driving.
    2. If you do still prefer to wear it, or if you have someone else in the car with you too, wear the mask higher up your nose so that your glasses rest on top of the mask.
    3. If that fails, wear contacts ;)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,689
    Scott_xP said:
    Not the sort of whiplash one normally reads about concerning senior MPs.
  • Options

That is kind of you
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,762
    Selebian said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I thought the reason Boris Force One is currently grey is because its primary rôle is as a tanker and so needs to be as radar un-reflective as possible for survivability in combat. The re-paint means that in the event of Vladimir Vladimirovitch deciding to make a dash for the Baltic, the RAF will be down one tanker as either it'll be a sitting duck or they won't dare to deploy it anyway.

Mind you, I'm no expert. I'd be interested in @Dura_Ace's opinion.

Isn't the grey just for visual camouflage?
    Both I'd imagine, though probably of limited utility on a lump like the Voyager.
    Seems like not, based on @Malmesbury's comment.
    The grey is kind of visual camouflage. But then it isn't optimised for normal operations. More a doesn't-particularly-shout-at-you colour.

If anyone gets close enough to your tankers that visual camouflage is an issue, then you are probably stuffed anyway - no manoeuvrability, not much defence capability.

The Soviet/Russian response to the heavy reliance in NATO operations on tankers and AEW aircraft was (and is) to build ultra-long range air-air missiles for attacking them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-37_(missile) etc - ranges of over 100nm are claimed.

The UK response to that is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_(missile) can engage at extremely long range
    A snazzy paint job does however make it more obvious which plane the missiles should be pointed at.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

No problem, Big_G.
    Stay safe out there.
  • Options

No need to wear one in the car as only you and your wife, only needed when you are near people and certainly not sealed in a tin can.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,305

Is sense of humour failure a Covid symptom? Hopefully not.
    On topic, did I get round to recommending the Brewdog Barnard Castle Eye Test Hazy Durham IPA? It's really excellent although at 6% you wouldn't want to be drinking it before driving. Any other PBers got hold of it?
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Says there may well be a spike following THE WOKEGASM (I'm claiming that one); says it is a mystery why some states have surged and others not.

I wonder if this is a BAME thing, in part. The states seeing the worst resurge - Texas, Floria, Arizona, SoCal, all have very large Hispanic communities?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/17/rising-covid-19-cases-hospitalization-long-road/

More likely that they never had the thing under control in the first place IMO, although your theory is not without merit.
    Everyone is being a bit binary here. It is possible for several things to be true.

Probably states easing lockdown too early has caused the surge, which has ALSO been worsened by The Wokegasm, how can mass, crowded, shouty demos NOT cause infections? We know the main means of infection is via aerosols from people breathing heavily: singing, panting, jumping around.

Likewise, there may be a BAME element in the surge, but it's only a partial explanation.

Maybe relatedly, Iran is reporting its worst day for deaths since early April:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/

Pakistan has just recorded its worth death-day yet

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/pakistan/
    Sure, agree with the overlapping triggers point.

However, how do you explain the non-barking dog in London?
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

LOLs, Kinbalu

There, I changed your name too! (typo, but amusing in context)
    :smile: - forgiven.

As for MY name, I like Kinbalu and also Kinabula - this latter emanating a sort of earthy primordial strength.

But I am the mountain - the faraway mountain.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110

On the naughty step with you, sir.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

eadric said:

eadric said:

Everyone is being a bit binary here. It is possible for several things to be true.

Probably states easing lockdown too early has caused the surge, which has ALSO been worsened by The Wokegasm, how can mass, crowded, shouty demos NOT cause infections? We know the main means of infection is via aerosols from people breathing heavily: singing, panting, jumping around.

Likewise, there may be a BAME element in the surge, but it's only a partial explanation.

When did the London demonstrations start? Maybe a bit too soon?
  • Options
    I thought PM in car crash was another metaphor. I do hope he's alright.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Our Anglophone/Eurocentric media would have you believe that the pandemic is on the decline because cases and deaths are way down in Europe and white countries that speak English.

They've maybe just cottoned on to the problem in Brazil - though not the rest of Latin America - but don't mention (perhaps because they haven't even noticed) the surging cases and rising deaths in:
    - the Middle East
    - the ex-USSR (excluding Baltic states)
    - Africa
  • Options
    Andrew said:
    The question on all PBers lips. So Eadric, would you?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nigelb said:

And if out and about with no washing up liquid, spitting on them, rubbing and rinsing works a treat with dive masks.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

It is quite the mystery. I've been walking around London this last week and Londoners are basically acting like there is no virus at all. Picnicking, playing sports, lots of hugging, romancing, dancing - in parks etc

Masks are a rarity in the streets (and fewer than 50% wear them in shops).

Maybe there is a herd immunity here? Or maybe young people (and it is young people out and about) are just more immune anyway?

Add that to a lack of INTERNAL crowds (still no gyms, pubs, theatres, clubs, schools, workspaces) and it is maybe enough.

Or London has just got lucky. If so, let's hope it stays lucky
    Spot on.

Inshallah.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Cromwell said:

Any one who bets on Trump winning the nomination has a crude and simplistic grasp of American politics ; furthermore , they deserve to lose their money

Trump is a ''reality TV star '' who has descended into malignant narcissism and megalomania ..he's Dr Strangelove or a cartoonish James bond villain ; he's not a demagogue , but a comedic parody of a demagogue ...TRUMPOLINI I presume ?

There are simply not that many gormless voters in the GOP ; Trump is polling lower than Bernie Sanders but only looks like a winner because the opposition have not unified ...he probably will win New Hampshire but his victories can only last until the establishment unifies

Trump is a venal opportunist who loves running for president but would be horrified if the presidency were actually forced upon him

Trump's supporters are gormless beyond belief ; if he chewed the head off a puppy on live TV they would applaud him for making the world more safer for cats !

Weirdly predicted Biden's sweep to victory in the Dem race of 2020. Just 4 years too early with his logic.

He was very rude to people who did not share his galaxy brain take on Rubio. He was rude in a way to HYUFD that only I am allowed to be

Rubio will now unify the establishment lane and steamroll to victory ; he will win NH and Nevada too .....this has been on the cards for months and would have been clear to anyone able to read between the lines

RUBIO WILL BE THE NEXT US PRESIDENT .....frame this comment for posterity

• Options
    Andrew said:
    I've said it yesterday and I'll say it again. That's not Beatrice Johnson, that's Vicky Pollard.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,581
    "Munira Mirza is the bigoted Left's worst nightmare

The No 10 adviser tasked with a new racial equality commission refuses to bend to identity politics
    RAKIB EHSAN"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/16/munira-mirza-bigoted-lefts-worst-nightmare/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The chaos in Wales NHS

My son in law's father (87) has been in and out of hospital for months and finally managed to get a place in a care home. However he continued falling and was taken back to hospital. He was in AMU and he fell spreadeagled across the ward. However they managed to stabilise him and return him to the care home

48 hours later, about 10.00am, the care home said he was unsafe and had to leave straight away. At 4.00pm they phoned my son in law to say his transport was leaving the care home and they would charge for his room until his room was cleared. Apparently they had sent him to A & E without any discussion with the family

The hospital phoned later to ask for his medication when less than 48 hours they had all his records. They later phoned to ask if he was an alcoholic. When my son in law said absolutely not, they said he had been asking for a beer. At home he would have the odd craft beer from time to time but what a question to ask.

They then phoned to say he had climbed over the side rails on his bed and fallen again. They said he would have monitors attached for his safe keeping but they have no idea what to do with him

The upset is compounded by his wife being in dementia care and has not been seen by any member of the family since early March

The situation makes you want to weep.

How have we come to this

And sorry it is off topic but I just thought it is a story of our times
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,914

Andrew said:
    More importantly, would Boris?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The No 10 adviser tasked with a new racial equality commission refuses to bend to identity politics
    RAKIB EHSAN"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/16/munira-mirza-bigoted-lefts-worst-nightmare/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Find someone to defend you like the way right wing commentators defend members of the Revolutionary Communist Party.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Dominique Raab and Rachael Sunak versions are a little disturbing.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,683

There should be no need to wear the mask to drive - put the mask on when you get out. I believe others have suggest ways to stop the steaming up in the past.
  • Options

Andrew said:
    More importantly, would Boris?
    As Boris does display narcissistic tendencies and besides which he isn't fussy, I would take that as a given.
  • Options
    Somebody downthread mentioned that the Left should be worried about Pence in 2024. I think Harris beats Pence in 2024 no sweat but it would be a worry, yes, if it went the other way.

From the monumental Applebaum article that all with an interest in WH2020 will have read by now -

Pence and Pompeo "have convinced themselves that they are in a biblical moment." All of the things they care about—outlawing abortion and same-sex marriage, and (though this is never said out loud) maintaining a white majority in America—are under threat. Time is growing short. They believe that “we are approaching the Rapture, and this is a moment of deep religious significance.” Barr, in a speech at Notre Dame, has also described his belief that “militant secularists” are destroying America, that “irreligion and secular values are being forced on people of faith.” Whatever evil Trump does, whatever he damages or destroys, at least he enables Barr, Pence, and Pompeo to save America from a far worse fate. If you are convinced we are living in the End Times, then anything the president does can be forgiven.
  • Options

On topic, did I get round to recommending the Brewdog Barnard Castle Eye Test Hazy Durham IPA? It's really excellent although at 6% you wouldn't want to be drinking it before driving. Any other PBers got hold of it?
    What a horrible comment.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andrew said:
    No.

But Dominique Raab? Yes. Looks sub. Probably likes a spanking. You did ask

https://twitter.com/DefenceDailyUK/status/1272978318577541120?s=20
    I appreciate your candour.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

It is quite the mystery. I've been walking around London this last week and Londoners are basically acting like there is no virus at all. Picnicking, playing sports, lots of hugging, romancing, dancing - in parks etc

Masks are a rarity in the streets (and fewer than 50% wear them in shops).

Maybe there is a herd immunity here? Or maybe young people (and it is young people out and about) are just more immune anyway?

Add that to a lack of INTERNAL crowds (still no gyms, pubs, theatres, clubs, schools, workspaces) and it is maybe enough.

Or London has just got lucky. If so, let's hope it stays lucky
    Lucky-ish. There's no second peak, but there is a much fatter tail in the UK than most of mainland Europe.
  • Options
    eadric said:

What kind of mask are you wearing? If it's an FFP2 or FFP3 (aka N95), then, as I understand it, you should not be expelling any air upwards, and your glasses should not steam up: the whole point is that all air comes in and out through the filter at the front, protecting you from inhaling the bug.

So you may not be wearing it properly - if it is one of them there posh masks.
    Not a posh one eadric but have had some kind suggestions from fellow poster
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Reposted from previous topic, but in view of Pb-ers interstate's a few days ago I've taken the liberty:

I've just received my fortnightly Private Eye. I regret to report that it is considerably less than impressed with both the Governments and the Post Office's response to the recent Parliamentary exposure of the Post Offices disgusting treatment of (apparently) over 1000 sub-postmaster, quoting an MP with a longstanding interest in the case as saying that it is 'totally inappropriate that the PO have appointed the firm it has to investigate the matter.
    We wait to see.

Which firm, please?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Andy_JS said:

RAKIB EHSAN"

Extremely refreshing and important. The identitarian left is about to discover that genuine diversity comes in thought as well as in immutable characteristics...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

And if out and about with no washing up liquid, spitting on them, rubbing and rinsing works a treat with dive masks.
    Yes I knew that with dive masks from my youth
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andrew said:
    No.

Touch of the Tamsin Outhwaites.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,289
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

This is the US version of that critical care nurse crying outside a stripped bare supermarket, sort of. Interesting (and deep) cultural differences.

https://twitter.com/tkag2020_ann/status/1273075677454098436?s=20

Is there a tl;dr? 2 minutes listening to her feels like 2 minutes too long.
    She's crying about a messed up McDonald's order. That's it.

I have a lot of sympathy for the majority of decent American cops, but this is not exactly heart-breaking
    I think it was because of the (false rumour) Shake Shack cop poisonings

https://twitter.com/juliareinstein/status/1272940939087134720?s=19
  • Options

eadric said:

Andrew said:
    No.

I appreciate your candour.
    Sean's always been a can do-er...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Lucky-ish. There's no second peak, but there is a much fatter tail in the UK than most of mainland Europe.

That doesn't show in excess deaths though - upslope and downslope are the same (pretty steep) shape as Belgium/France/Spain/Italy.

• Options
    eadric said:

The chaos in Wales NHS

My son in law's father (87) has been in and out of hospital for months and finally managed to get a place in a care home. However he continued falling and was taken back to hospital. He was in AMU and he fell spreadeagled across the ward. However they managed to stabilise him and return him to the care home

48 hours later, about 10.00am, the care home said he was unsafe and had to leave straight away. At 4.00pm they phoned my son in law to say his transport was leaving the care home and they would charge for his room until his room was cleared. Apparently they had sent him to A & E without any discussion with the family

The hospital phoned later to ask for his medication when less than 48 hours they had all his records. They later phoned to ask if he was an alcoholic. When my son in law said absolutely not, they said he had been asking for a beer. At home he would have the odd craft beer from time to time but what a question to ask.

They then phoned to say he had climbed over the side rails on his bed and fallen again. They said he would have monitors attached for his safe keeping but they have no idea what to do with him

The upset is compounded by his wife being in dementia care and has not been seen by any member of the family since early March

How have we come to this

Ah, that's sad Big G. Sympathies

I am now hearing lots of horror stories from people freaking out under lockdown FWIW. Divorces, psychotic episodes, the works.
    We are only a few years younger and we find it just so upsetting.

My good lady was sobbing the other day as they are both the nicest kindest people you would want to meet andit is just so painful
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,289

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Yes I knew that with dive masks from my youth
    Micropore tape across the nose is better, and keeps the mask in position too. It prevents having to handle and potentially contaminate the mask too.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Cromwell said:

He was very rude to people who did not share his galaxy brain take on Rubio. He was rude in a way to HYUFD that only I am allowed to be

Rubio will now unify the establishment lane and steamroll to victory ; he will win NH and Nevada too .....this has been on the cards for months and would have been clear to anyone able to read between the lines

Which you duly did, I see. What a miss. Charismatic writing sometimes co-incides with acute perception but just as often it doesn't.

So why did this poster leave? Was it under a big thick cloud?
  • Options

The chaos in Wales NHS

How have we come to this

On a more serious note/

As I've already commented a few weeks ago, I 'm struggling to understand why care homes and hospitals in your country fail to implement simple technical solutions. In my sister's care home they built two visiting rooms by dividing up the rooms with a plexiglass screen (wall to wall, floor to ceiling) and installing microphones and loudspeakers. The rooms are quickly desinfected after every (half hour) visiting period. That has been done months ago and has virtually complelely suppressed infections by visitors (sadly not by staff). Things like that can be done within a single working day.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited June 2020
    Apologies if someone mentioned this but, just skimming the last thread, there's an obvious reason why Starmer won't say yes to schools going back. It's also a stupid question from Johnson, as it seems to be something else that he doesn't know about.

Starmer does want schools to further reopen but he can't push that because he's seen the returning pupil figures and, on average, only 25% of those who could return did so. Parents are clearly not on board (and polls showed that well before anyway). It might just be something to do with the initial attempt to off half a million of us and then Johnson nearly dying himself. If you want the reason why people are so cautious compared to other countries that's why, so there is very little trust left regarding what claims are being made now.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

That doesn't show in excess deaths though - upslope and downslope are the same (pretty steep) shape as Belgium/France/Spain/Italy.

What data are you thinking of? The data the FT collate for their tracker are showing the UK peak going away quite a bit more slowly;

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=gbr&areas=fra&areas=ita&areas=esp&areas=bel&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usnj&cumulative=0&logScale=1&perMillion=0&values=deaths

• Options
    Tesla receives approval to become an electric utility provider in the UK
    https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-energy-utility-provider-application-uk-approved/
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Painting a bloody plane! Is that it? Is that what Boris is about?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,945
  • Options
    eadric said:

Useful info on infection

Suggests the Wokegasm demos WILL be a spreading event

https://twitter.com/Reddy/status/1272926330556952579?s=20

Stop trying to make wokegasm a thing.
  • Options

The chaos in Wales NHS

How have we come to this

On a more serious note/

As I've already commented a few weeks ago, I 'm struggling to understand why care homes and hospitals in your country fail to implement simple technical solutions. In my sister's care home they built two visiting rooms by dividing up the rooms with a plexiglass screen (wall to wall, floor to ceiling) and installing microphones and loudspeakers. The rooms are quickly desinfected after every (half hour) visiting period. That has been done months ago and has virtually complelely suppressed infections by visitors (sadly not by staff). Things like that can be done within a single working day.
    Very sensible but rare here in Wales
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Used to do that as a kid when snorkeling. Also remember my "kit" involved a ping pong ball on the end of the windpipe to stop the water coming in. My life in the hands of a ping pong ball. Amazing, looking back.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Cyclefree said:

He will be the envy of the other 27 EU leaders when he rocks up to trade talks in AirBorisOne/ BorisForceOne.

The art of one-upmanship.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Our Anglophone/Eurocentric media would have you believe that the pandemic is on the decline because cases and deaths are way down in Europe and white countries that speak English.

They've maybe just cottoned on to the problem in Brazil - though not the rest of Latin America - but don't mention (perhaps because they haven't even noticed) the surging cases and rising deaths in:
    - the Middle East
    - Africa

EDIT - Oh, and South Asia i.e. India and neighbours.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,043

eadric said:

eadric said:

- the Middle East
    - Africa

And Brazil.

• Options
    eadric said:

What a horrible comment.
    Big G I think you might be over-reacting to some gently playful comments, because of your understandable stress and anxiety.
    I certainly didn't mean anything by it, I was just making a joke but it obviously backfired and so I apologise.
    I would recommend the beer though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,071
    I'd love to see the cost breakdown for a respray costing almost a million quid.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Cromwell said:

Which you duly did, I see. What a miss. Charismatic writing sometimes co-incides with acute perception but just as often it doesn't.

So why did this poster leave? Was it under a big thick cloud?
    Everyone pointing at him and laughing might have had something to do with it.

His prediction that Trump would withdraw while he was winning was another of his more spectacular misses.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

- the Middle East
    - Africa

And Brazil.

I mentioned Brazil (and the rest of Latin America) in the text above the bullet points?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Cyclefree said:

I thought from today's PMQ , he was more Alice Cooper bothered that schools out for summer.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,875
    Pulpstar said:

One Million for a dead cat is pretty cheap these days
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,831

He will be the envy of the other 27 EU leaders when he rocks up to trade talks in AirBorisOne/ BorisForceOne.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1273251354950144005

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1273253753811013632
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I would happily do it for £100,000 with some rattle cans and masking tape from Halfords.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1273251354950144005

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1273253753811013632
    OK, but has Macron's Airbus got a Union Flag on it?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,831
    Pulpstar said:

It's a PFI deal

The plane is leased
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110

Pulpstar said:

I would happily do it for £100,000 with some rattle cans and masking tape from Halfords.
    How many of those cans do you think you'd need? ;)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,874
This discussion has been closed.